Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Empty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird

So, with the very likely possibility that baseball and basketball — at minimum — will be played to empty stadiums, it begs the question: Will it be as fun?

And before you answer, think about it for a second. No crowd noise. No intensity that builds for the home team or against the away team. Yes, the scoreboard will tell the tale, but the pressure is cranked up when you have a building full of crazy fans screaming their lungs out.

I get that it’s a business and that the money’s at the ML level, but considering crowds, distance from population centers, and the pleasures of relaxed fandom, I’ve been thinking that we might just run some mLs instead.

Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM | 6403 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, fans, stadiums

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 46 of 65 pages ‹ First  < 44 45 46 47 48 >  Last ›
   4501. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:15 PM (#5954640)
So, Trump comes out against Antifa, and the knee-jerk TDS crowd uses this thread to defend or excuse Antifa? Hmm. Remind me again, who are the ones politicizing this thread?
   4502. Laser Man Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:26 PM (#5954641)
I think most people are wondering what Antifa has to do with the current situation.
   4503. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:53 PM (#5954643)
Remind me again, who are the ones politicizing this thread?

Sure.

You
RMc
SBB (.)
57i

Tony S at times, and occasionally Nieporent in a way by talking at SBB, and occasionally Blomberg and Lassus.

And Andy when he pops in. You can count my occasional meta-posts too if you like. But you are one of the main culprits.
   4504. strong silence Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:58 PM (#5954644)
"Emergencies remind us that people admire selflessness and enjoy demands on their generosity, and that the community as a whole is revivified by such demands. Great cost and greater benefit, as these things are traditionally understood. If in present circumstances we are driven back on our primitive impulses, then we should be watching our collective behavior carefully, because it will be instructive with regard to identifying an essential human nature. In more senses than one we are living through an unprecedented experiment, an opportunity it would be a world-historical shame to waste."

What Kind of Country Do We Want?
Marilynne Robinson
JUNE 11, 2020 ISSUE

Riots or not, human nature is basically good.
   4505. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:59 PM (#5954645)
^^^ [citation needed]
   4506. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:02 AM (#5954647)
I think most people are wondering what Antifa has to do with the current situation.
Well, Antifa doesn’t have anything to do with the coronavirus, or baseball, so why was it injected into this thread? However, it’s hard to believe anyone here could be unaware of Antifa’s record of engaging in & instigating violence. It’s not like they hide much (except their individual identities), which just got them suspended from Twitter.
   4507. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:05 AM (#5954649)

that's heterodox
   4508. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:11 AM (#5954650)
Sure.

You
RMc
SBB (.)
57i
who are 4 people that have never been in my kitchen.
   4509. BrianBrianson Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:39 AM (#5954653)
My impression is that it's not at all clear how dangerous large outdoor gatherings are - all the big spreading events I'm aware of were indoors (except the San Siro match, though that wasn't exactly outdoors either)
   4510. strong silence Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:44 AM (#5954654)
Peetape and this "Mayor" agree with my wife who, nearly drunk, but always logical (self-proclaimed) said that I'm being Pollyannish. Peas in a pod, I guess.

"We have seen where all this leads. It creates poverty, and plagues batten on poverty, on crowding and exhaustion. If the novel coronavirus did not have its origins in the order of things now in abeyance—other possibilities are even darker—that order was certainly a huge factor in its spread."

Marilynne Robinson

4511. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:49 AM (#5954655)
Peetape and this "Mayor" agree with my wife who, nearly drunk, but always logical (self-proclaimed) said that I'm being Pollyannish. Peas in a pod, I guess.
your marriage is not long for this world.
   4512. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:55 AM (#5954656)
Clapper's such a Proud Boy, he'll make it.
   4513. strong silence Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:00 AM (#5954657)
I saw a few looters at the WTO riots in Seattle. That's the closest I've ever come to lawlessness.

I forget what came out of the WTO protests.

About that time was the last I heard about civilian review of the police. That is still a good idea.
   4514. . Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:37 AM (#5954661)
Antifa is a leftist political street army, nothing more, and has been from Day One.

The spectacle of a bunch of white people leaving mom's basement to torch a bunch of black and brown-owned businesses (*) is, as they say, not a good look.

We finally got a bunch of cops to end their stupid solidarity with other cops and actually take a knee -- a very welcome sight -- but that unfortunately has been vitiated to a great degree by the Weimar street army stuff.

And of course, after seeing the mayor of Minneapolis actually tell his police force to abandon their station and let it burn, the rightist loons are redoubling their claims that the populace should arm itself.

Good times.

(*) Among a host of other things.
   4515. . Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:53 AM (#5954663)
Well, Antifa doesn’t have anything to do with the coronavirus,

Other than spreading it. How many grandmas and grandpas are going to wind up dying because of their selfishness?
   4516. . Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:54 AM (#5954664)
Still not too late for reparations for the labor stolen during the era of slavery and I continue to support them. Should have been done decades ago.
   4517. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:33 AM (#5954665)
Just so you understand, I don’t know anything about antifa, okay? I don’t know anything about what you’re even talking about with antifa or anarchists. So I don’t know, did they endorse me or what’s going on
   4518. Tony S Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:37 AM (#5954666)
there's a good chance it's also part of a kickback scheme. misappropriation of "emergency" funds is one of the easier ways for corrupt governments to launder huge amounts of money into the pockets of their benefactors before any pesky oversight can kick in.

But the zinc! Did they provide the zinc? We want the zinc! Gotta have the zinc!
   4519. Tony S Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:18 AM (#5954673)
Just so you understand, I don’t know anything about antifa, okay?

Popular right-wing boogeyman, like Hollywood, "SJW"'s, George Soros, and more recently Bill Gates. Assumed (by them) to have vastly more reach and power than they actually do have.

Invoking them is a smart move by Trump. He deflects attention from his own statements and (in)actions in escalating the crisis. For the thousandth time in his administration, he had a chance to be a hero -- and he chose instead to exacerbate the situation, before curling up in his bunker. Not that Antifa is worth defending in and of itself, but their role here is minor compared to that of other actors. They're sort of like the Proud Boys of the left (though less organized) -- their mention triggers their ideological opponents, but they don't really DO much in the grand scheme of things. They're more like taggers-along. Trump wants to make this about Antifa, rather than about the murder of a citizen by a cop. And he will succeed, with his base at least.

And it will succeed in providing ample footage of Angry Nonwhite Mobs for the election season. Whether that'll work better than the immigrant caravan did in 2018 remains to be seen. (I think Trump gets re-elected anyway; it's tough to lose an election without opposition.)
   4520. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:58 AM (#5954674)
Zonk knows who antifa is, at least as much as Trump knew what the KKK was.
   4521. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:58 AM (#5954675)
Anyway, latest baseball news:

The MLBPA delivered a proposal to MLB on Sunday afternoon, a source familiar with it tells ESPN. It includes 114-game season that would end October 31, the right to opt out of the season for all players and potential deferral of salaries if 2020 the postseason were canceled.

Blake Snell gets to stay home!
   4522. puck Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:13 AM (#5954677)
I forget what came out of the WTO protests.

A hex-style wargame.
   4523. puck Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:16 AM (#5954679)
Marilynne Robinson

Huh, the novelist? Her novels are great.

That article is in the NY Review of Books, btw. Will have to read it at some point, I've not read her non-fiction.

4524. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:38 AM (#5954689)
Meanwhile:

“About 30 percent of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity,” Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter, the Swedish ambassador to the United States, told NPR on April 26. “We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month.”

But a recent study found that just 7.3 percent of Stockholm residents tested positive for coronavirus antibodies at the end of April. “I think herd immunity is a long way off, if we ever reach it,” Bjorn Olsen, professor of infectious medicine at Uppsala University, told Reuters.
   4525. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:44 AM (#5954694)
Zonk knows who antifa is, at least as much as Trump knew what the KKK was.

Well, now I've seen my shadow...

So, 6 more weeks of winning.
   4526. Tony S Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:24 AM (#5954714)
“About 30 percent of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity,” Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter, the Swedish ambassador to the United States, told NPR on April 26. “We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month.”

That is...optimistic.
   4527. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:28 AM (#5954716)
It was obviously absurd at the time, despite the fact that about 1,000 new organizations relayed that quote as if it were unimpeachably true.
   4528. bob gee Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:40 AM (#5954722)
ny state 54 deaths (44 hospitals, 10 in nursing homes).

they tested 50,000 people yesterday, only 1000 positives (2%).

4529. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:58 AM (#5954725)
Popular right-wing boogeyman, like Hollywood, "SJW"'s, George Soros, and more recently Bill Gates. Assumed (by them) to have vastly more reach and power than they actually do have.
Barr: It is Antifa.
Cops: It is Antifa.
Protestors: It is Antifa.
Antifa: It is us.
BBTF TDSers: The ‘wrong’ people object to Antifa, so they can’t be too bad.
   4530. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:10 PM (#5954731)
The power of antifa amazes me...
   4531. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:05 PM (#5954741)
Antifa isn’t the first group Trump has proclaimed would be designated via media. In 2019, Trump said he would designate the Mexican drug cartels as terrorists. The president never followed through, however, implying that his suggestion to do so was based more on domestic politics and responding to his political base than on any desire to actually protect American citizens from violence. Last year, the Trump administration also publicly announced that it would designate the Muslim Brotherhood. That group, like the Mexican cartels, remains undesignated.

his lips are moving
   4532. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:09 PM (#5954742)
also:

the obvious response for "antifa" if trummp does attempt to label it a "TERRORIST ORGANEYEZATION" is to register itself as a religious denomination whose constitutionally protected beliefs include killing nazis and punching republicans.
   4533. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:11 PM (#5954744)
You guys realize Antifa isn't even really a formal organization, right? It is like calling BTF Primates an organization and the Discord offshoot a radical splinter cell.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, no matter what you think of the protests and fall out it is not going to help to combat the pandemic. I think the protests are valid, but there are consequences.
   4534. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:11 PM (#5954745)
4524 -- So, Fish, is the National Review no longer embracing the Swedish model?
   4535. . Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:21 PM (#5954747)
Yeah, they only had the power to (among other things) get the mayor of Minneapolis to order the police to abandon their station so Antifa could be permitted to burn it down.
   4536. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:22 PM (#5954748)
is the National Review no longer embracing the Swedish model?

So many jokes possible! Can some of our resident wits step up to the plate please?
   4537. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:29 PM (#5954749)
Farbod Esnaashari @Farbod_E
Here's a thread of people trying to hijack protests by inciting violence:

https://twitter.com/Farbod_E/status/1267508030897184768
   4538. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:42 PM (#5954751)
Nashville police have arrested the alleged arsonist of the Nashville courthouse....

Somers’ arrest has kicked off an online stir. His tattoos, which appear in photos that have circulated the internet, seem to match those of a shirtless, tattooed protester stoking the fire at the courthouse. A tattoo of three vertical lines on Somers’ right wrist caused many to speculate that Somers is a member of the Three Percenters, a far-right paramilitary group that employs the roman numeral “III” as an insignia. It’s unclear whether Somers’ tattoo is “III” or something else, like the Monster energy drink logo.
   4539. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:45 PM (#5954753)

In other viral sports news/video, a well-executed jiu jitsu takedown
   4540. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:46 PM (#5954754)
It’s unclear whether Somers’ tattoo is “III” or something else, like the Monster energy drink logo.

If you're a journalist, the opportunity to write a sentence like this one must be a real treat.
   4541. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:09 PM (#5954760)
Is drone strike disavowal still a thing or not?

Matt Gaetz
@mattgaetz
Now that we clearly see Antifa as terrorists, can we hunt them down like we do those in the Middle East?
12:48 PM · Jun 1, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
   4542. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:12 PM (#5954761)
You guys realize Antifa isn't even really a formal organization, right? It is like calling BTF Primates an organization and the Discord offshoot a radical splinter cell.

Not even that. BTF at least exists as an entity; antifa is a concept. It's like calling white supremacy a terrorist organization.
   4543. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:18 PM (#5954763)
Here's a link to that Marilynne Robinson essay, which is definitely more worth reading than Donald Trump's tweets:

Here is the first question that must be asked: What have we done with America? Over the decades we have consented, passively for the most part, to a kind of change that has made this country a disappointment to itself, an imaginary prison with real prisoners in it. Now those imaginary walls have fallen, if we choose to notice. We can consider what kind of habitation, what kind of home, we want this country to be. ...

All the talk of national wealth, which is presented as the meaning and vindication of America, has been simultaneous with a coercive atmosphere of scarcity. America is the most powerful economy in history and at the same time so threatened by global competition that it must dismantle its own institutions, the educational system, the post office. The national parks are increasingly abandoned to neglect in service to fiscal restraint. We cannot maintain our infrastructure. And, of course, we cannot raise the minimum wage. The belief has been general and urgent that the mass of people and their children can look forward to a future in which they must scramble for employment, a life-engrossing struggle in which success will depend on their making themselves useful to whatever industries emerge, contingent on their being competitive in the global labor market. Polarization is the inevitable consequence of all this.

The great error of any conspiracy theory is the assumption that blame can be placed on particular persons and interests. A chord is struck, a predisposition is awakened. America as a whole has embraced, under the name of conservatism and also patriotism, a radical departure from its own history. This richest country has been overtaken with a deep and general conviction of scarcity, a conviction that has become an expectation, then a kind of discipline, even an ethic. The sense of scarcity instantiates itself. It reinforces an anxiety that makes scarcity feel real and encroaching, and generosity, even investment, an imprudent risk. ...

4544. . Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:31 PM (#5954766)
American labor was not sold out "under the name of conservatism and ... patriotism."
   4545. Lassus Posted: June 01, 2020 at 03:23 PM (#5954772)
Not even that. BTF at least exists as an entity; antifa is a concept. It's like calling white supremacy a terrorist organization.
Bots haven't reached the AI level required for this standard of reasoning, so I can forgive Clapper.
   4546. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 01, 2020 at 03:36 PM (#5954774)
American labor wasn't sold out at all.
   4547. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 03:42 PM (#5954776)

Nope. Just put out with the trash.
   4548. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 01, 2020 at 04:00 PM (#5954780)

But a recent study found that just 7.3 percent of Stockholm residents tested positive for coronavirus antibodies at the end of April. “I think herd immunity is a long way off, if we ever reach it,” Bjorn Olsen, professor of infectious medicine at Uppsala University, told Reuters.

We've known this for a while now. I am more interested in why it's been nearly 2 weeks since Sweden released their first weekly antibody test results. They held a press conference today but it appears just to give an update on other statistics (cases, ICU cases, fatalities). They also mentioned this:

The government announced that distance learning guidelines are lifted on June 15, therefore, high school and university students can resume studying as normal in fall. On June 14, sports events will also restart but only outside and without any spectators.
   4549. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 01, 2020 at 04:09 PM (#5954783)
is the National Review no longer embracing the Swedish model?

So many jokes possible! Can some of our resident wits step up to the plate please?

In Soviet Russia, Swedish model no longer embraces National Review.
   4550. PepTech Posted: June 01, 2020 at 05:26 PM (#5954800)
So, Trump comes out against Antifa, and the knee-jerk TDS crowd uses this thread to defend or excuse Antifa? Hmm.
Who, exactly, and in which post, was Antifa either "defended" or "excused"?

Oh, right, it wasn't. Clapper made #### up. Again.

I yield back the remainder of my time, with sincere and honest appreciation for those who have toiled tirelessly to bring actual information to this thread. You know who you are.
   4551. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: June 01, 2020 at 05:49 PM (#5954802)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ....
   4552. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 01, 2020 at 05:50 PM (#5954803)
Who, exactly, and in which post, was Antifa either "defended" or "excused"? Oh, right, it wasn't. Clapper made #### up. Again.
Nice try, PepTech:
4485. Tony S Posted: May 31, 2020 at 07:31 PM (#5954615)
Antifa isn't even a formal organization. This gutless coward in the White House is just trying to deflect attention from his own myriad failures. If opposing fascism is a being a terrorist, then we were the terrorists in WWII...
That was followed by other posts attempting to pass off Antifa as actually anti-fascist, despite their role as America’s Brown Shirts. I will wait in vain for PepTech to demand similar linguistic precision from the leftists here who have, again, injected their politics into this thread.
   4553. Kiko Sakata Posted: June 01, 2020 at 05:50 PM (#5954804)
Trying to bring this thread a little back on topic. Jeff Passan is tweeting that MLB has responded to MLBPA's latest offer (pro-rated salaries for a 114-game regular season) by agreeing to pro-rated salaries, but for a 50-game season. It's been pointed out that the exact midpoint of those two proposals would be an 82-game season which would seem to end us up at exactly MLB's original season length with MLBPA's original pay structure. We'll see.
   4554. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 01, 2020 at 06:50 PM (#5954810)
It's been pointed out that the exact midpoint of those two proposals would be an 82-game season which would seem to end us up at exactly MLB's original season length with MLBPA's original pay structure. We'll see.
That would get a deal done, IMHO. The players were always willing to take pro rata pay for a reasonable number of games. I think they bumped up the number of games in their counter-proposal to address the owners revenue concerns and make it clear that the reluctance to play was coming primarily from the owners. It’s been reported that some owners would prefer NOT to play at all if they don’t have 2020 spectator revenue. MLB can’t let those guys control it’s position.

EDIT: MLB Trade Rumors rounds up the Twitter commentary.
   4555. bob gee Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:00 PM (#5954811)
If one person takes the thread away from Covid / sports to other political events, it doesn't require others to do the same thing - and quote the first person.

Thanks.
   4556. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:10 PM (#5954812)
That was followed by other posts attempting to pass off Antifa as actually anti-fascist, despite their role as America’s Brown Shirts

oh, for Chrisssake, Clapper. If they were "America's Brown Shirts," you'd put Sturmabteilung outfit on and march with them.
   4557. Srul Itza Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5954814)
Fascists stand for something.

Hell, even anarchists stand for something.

Antifa are essentially soccer hooligans, breaking things and beating up the supporters of the "other side" because it brightens an otherwise dull afternoon.

4558. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5954815)
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
It's almost like the United States has no President - we are a rudderless ship heading for a major disaster. Good luck everyone!
   4559. Tony S Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:15 PM (#5954816)
Barr: It is Antifa.

Oh, Bill Barr says so. I'm completely convinced.
   4560. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:15 PM (#5954817)
Fascists stand for something.

I mean, say what you want about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos.
   4561. Howie Menckel Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:16 PM (#5954818)
rushing in where angels fear to tread, I visited the two giant tribal casinos in Connecticut today - Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun.

while each are their own sovereign nations, these just-reopened sin bins (first in the Northeast to do so) present options for both sides of the divide.

kind of nervous to return? try Foxwoods, which took the temperature of every patron (I guess; I just stood on a spot and the machine read, "Your temperature is normal.") plexiglass between the craps dealer and the socially-distanced players. six feet between slot machines/chairs. workers everywhere with sanitizing products whenever someone would leave a slot machine.

looking for more of a "new normal?" Mohegan Sun is your casino. no temperature check, no plexiglass-ed dealers that I noticed, craps players almost cheek to jowl, just every other seat removed at the slots parlor, and so on.

now, EVERYBODY who I saw at each place wore masks and wore them properly (covered noses and all). lone exception was an older lady sipping a beer at the bar, and she did have the mandated mask by her side.

each casino only open to 25 percent capacity maximum. whole sections shuttered.

finally.... "Somewhere in the daytime, this 'gambler' here broke even...."
   4562. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:21 PM (#5954819)
Unreal.

I just watched a crowd get tear gassed so a little man could walk across the street and hold up a bible.

Unreal

I guess we aren’t so innocent after all.
   4563. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:22 PM (#5954820)
Antifa are essentially soccer hooligans, breaking things and beating up the supporters of the "other side" because it brightens an otherwise dull afternoon.

"antifa", such that it exists as an organized entity, was created primarily to counterprotest against neo-nazi rallies and marches and republican fundraisers.

we've seen this playbook before: george soros; acorn; the new black panther party. instead of waiting for the facts on the ground to come in, you're just attacking whatever buzzword the drudge report puts stormfront of you.

but yes, antifa is not an ideology. it's about beating the #### out of nazis. i guess that's frowned upon in trump's america.
   4564. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:25 PM (#5954821)
I heard that MS-13 is behind the protests.
   4565. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:32 PM (#5954822)
rushing in where angels fear to tread, I visited the two giant tribal casinos in Connecticut today - Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun.

this seems eminently responsible.
   4566. Tony S Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:37 PM (#5954823)

Given the COVID pandemic, a real leader would have done everything he could to defuse the situation and prevent the protesting from getting out of hand. Like Bush I did in the wake of Rodney King; he condemned the riots while acknowledging the grievances that led to them.

Maybe it would have helped; maybe it wouldn't. But that's what leadership is about.

But what we have now did exactly the opposite before courageously skulking in his safe space. Has there been any crisis he's "handled" that he hasn't made worse?

Now, of course, there's more gasoline on the fire, and whatever progress we've made containing COVID is going to be pretty much gone.
   4567. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:41 PM (#5954824)

A real leader wouldn't bet on race war as a reelection strategy.

But to bring it back to baseball:

"Trump was good at first but then he went too far." -- Marge Schott.
   4568. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:43 PM (#5954825)
"Trump was good at first but then he went too far." -- Marge Schott.
yet the amtrak doesn't even run on time.
   4569. bob gee Posted: June 01, 2020 at 07:53 PM (#5954827)
Thanks for the casino update Howie!
   4570. Howie Menckel Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:19 PM (#5954829)
in other news, I got this bizarre promotion in an email tonight:

Special offer:
From May 1 through July 31, 2020, you’ll earn a total of 6X points on up to $5,000 spent at grocery stores with your Marriott Bonvoy™ Credit Card.* No enrollment or activation required.

(so they're trying to get me to go to a grocery store, in this North Jersey hot spot wtf. have only been to one of those once since mid-March, preferring Target - which has more breathing room - and has most of what I could get at Stop & Shop.

now, if I had purchased something with this card at a casino today, I would be able to declare this 'brilliant' - as in, 'Hey, the dude was just in a casino so clearly he likes to roll the dice!')
   4571. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:36 PM (#5954831)
Weird.

I just got an email from Chase telling me I’m approved for a Chase Sapphire card with 60,000 bonus points and 2x points on dining.
   4572. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:39 PM (#5954832)

Chad Loder @chadloder

National Guard marches through a quiet residential neighborhood in #Minneapolis, screaming at citizens to get inside.

Soldiers stop to point their guns at residents on their balcony.

They yell “LIGHT THEM UP” as they fire riot control rounds at them.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266952661791674370
   4573. RJ in TO Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:41 PM (#5954833)
I just got an email from Chase telling me I’m approved for a Chase Sapphire card with 60,000 bonus points and 2x points on dining.
Is the weird part the offer for double points on dining, or the weird part that they'd approve someone with your credit rating.

Also, if dining includes takeout, then that's a very useful card for a lot of people.
   4574. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:45 PM (#5954834)
Well, the weird part is that I’ve already got one.... it does accrue points for takeout/delivery, but not via delivery services.
   4575. Srul Itza Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:47 PM (#5954835)
"antifa", such that it exists as an organized entity, was created primarily to counterprotest against neo-nazi rallies and marches and republican fundraisers.

That may be how it started.

That ain't what it is now. Now, it's an excuse to fight.
   4576. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:53 PM (#5954836)
they're trying to get me to go to a grocery store, in this North Jersey hot spot wtf. have only been to one of those once since mid-March, preferring Target - which has more breathing room - and has most of what I could get at Stop & Shop.
I read the fine print for that offer, and I’m still unsure whether places like Target & Walmart are included. It all depends on whether they are coded as grocery stores. Gas station food doesn’t appear to be included, so there is an incentive to maintain some standards.
   4577. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 01, 2020 at 08:57 PM (#5954837)
I don't know whether the looters/rioters are Antifa, whatever that means. But a lot of the videos I saw of the looters and rioters matched Srul's description -- "essentially soccer hooligans, breaking things...because it brightens an otherwise dull afternoon." Peaceful protestors were literally begging them to stop. In one video, protestors physically lifted and delivered one of the destructive hooligans to the police (who were just standing nearby, not doing anything about it).

Apologies if the above has already been said. I've stayed away from the thread lately and will come back when it gets more back on-topic. Not saying that people shouldn't be discussing the national turmoil but I think there are better and more appropriate places to do it than here.
   4578. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:13 PM (#5954839)
Passan now reporting that a 50-game season would be a “last resort” for MLB, and “the hope remains that MLB & the MLBPA will reach an agreement to avoid that outcome”. So, play 81 games and make it easy on everybody.
   4579. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:30 PM (#5954841)
That may be how it started.

That ain't what it is now. Now, it's an excuse to fight.

if it's not a counter-protest at a neo-nazi rally, it's not antifa.

antifa isn't pepsicola. they don't have trademarks or patent laywers. they don't have membership applications. they don't have secret initiations or magic underwear or barn-raisings. any random ####### can claim to be "antifa" if they want to (even if they have neo nazi tattoos all over their body and a police documented history of neo-nazi militia membership).

until you can show me that these "antifa" "agitators" are being paid 6 figure salaries by state and local governments while shooting at people in the streets and covering entire neighborhoods with poison gas, they're not the root of the ####### problem here.
   4580. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:38 PM (#5954843)
With relations already frayed, police exacerbated the volatile situation with an overly aggressive response, confronting the protest crowds while garbed in military-like gear, brandishing automatic weapons and guard dogs, and setting the tone for future exchanges between the police and protesters, analysts say.

"What we've seen time and time again is that aggressive policing tactics increase aggression on the part of the protesters," said Tamara Madensen, director of the Crowd Management Research Council in the department of criminal justice at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
"You saw Ferguson come out dressed in riot gear when no violence had actually occurred yet. We know that even potential police use of force, for example visible riot gear, armoured vehicles — these can instigate crowd members especially looking for a reason to engage in violence," she said.

"Here’s people peacefully demonstrating and they're watching them through the scopes of M-16s," said Drago. "It's mind-boggling to think that they're even doing that. The force that they used at the beginning is probably the most damaging."
Meanwhile, deploying tear gas against the crowds has been largely ineffective, Stamper said, and it has done nothing more than provoke protesters.

"It is not working, so why are you doing it? It’s also very provocative, inflames passions," he said. "When people recover from the teary eyes and snotty noses, they’re going to come right back, and that’s what’s been happening. They're coming back with battle wounds."
"Your strategy can't be: 'We're going to bring the tear gas out, then we're going to bring the stun guns out, then we're going to point machine guns. It's not working."

from the wake of the michael brown protests in ferguson missouri.

i'll leave it to the reader to wonder why police would choose these tactics to respond to a peaceful protest... of one of their former coworkers who just murdered an innocent man in the street while 3 of their other coworkers stood by and let it happen.
   4581. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 09:56 PM (#5954844)
   4582. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:10 PM (#5954846)
Antifa
what? right wing republicans are using fake tweeter accounts to incite violence? that's unpossible...
   4583. Slutty Nutkins (CoB). Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:30 PM (#5954851)
Weird ... I know it was posted above ... wrong site.
   4584. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:57 PM (#5954853)
let's imagine a slight counterfactual:

4 anarchists abduct a police officer in broad daylight. they hog tie him in the street and one of them kneels on his neck until the officer dies while pleading for his life.

then the county DA drags their feet on indicting the police officer's murderer (and the murderer's friends) as video of the snuff film gets played on a loop across local and national television.

and then, during the officer's funeral, thousands of anarchists descend on the public gathering, spraying chemical weapons, firing rubber bullets and swinging billyclubs at the people who've come to pay respects to the victim, while blaming those mourners for any property damage that occurs amid the chaos.

obviously, this is ridiculous. but wait... now imagine the local government is paying each of those anarchists a $60+K salary "to serve and protect" the grieving people they're massacring in the streets.

oh, and don't forget that the local anarchists' union pays for their rank and file to attend "killology" "training sessions" where someone spends 4 hours telling them that 'killing police officers means you'll have the best sex of your life.'
   4585. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:24 PM (#5954855)
That technique is working here. The “tonight’s the night comrades” message made the rounds on next door here in the deep red part of California. Had 30 or 40 responses in varying levels of hysteria.
   4586. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:58 PM (#5954859)
Say more, sleepy? Message? Context?
   4587. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: June 02, 2020 at 12:38 AM (#5954865)
The link in 4581 described it pretty well. White nationalists posed as Antifa and posted hundreds or thousands of messages intended to scare the good folks of {Rocklin, Granite Bay, el dorado hills, antelope, etc}. Apparently it was a national campaign.

My wife showed it to me before dinner and it was quite the thread. Looks like it’s been taken down now.

Also plenty of posts like:

“ Has anyone heard about rioting in Granite Bay‘s tree lake area? My son who’s friend who’s dad is a cop told me that there is rioting in that area.

Posted in Safety to 50 neighborhoods”

From people with one post.

City of Roseville pd is warning about misinformation being spread this way, at least.
   4588. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: June 02, 2020 at 12:41 AM (#5954867)
In one video, protestors physically lifted and delivered one of the destructive hooligans to the police (who were just standing nearby, not doing anything about it).

That sounds about right. Like cops who arrest business owners protecting their businesses from looters.

4589. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 02, 2020 at 01:10 AM (#5954874)
Thanks Sleepy. I'm not on twitter so I was spared all but the neighborhood assn's Karen warning people to stay home and get their cars off the street in Houston a couple nights ago. Houston's been fine.
   4590. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 02, 2020 at 08:01 AM (#5954879)
One in Four U.S. Covid-19 Deaths Are in Nursing Homes, Data Shows

The first major federal effort to measure the deadly impact of the new coronavirus in nursing homes found around 26,000 deaths, a total that likely falls short of showing the full toll on some of the most vulnerable Americans.

The new survey of nursing homes, released Monday by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, showed 25,923 resident deaths tied to Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, and 449 deaths among the facilities’ staff. The survey also found about 95,000 infection cases at nursing homes across 49 states, about a third of them among staff members.

A Wall Street Journal tally of state data from around the U.S. shows more than 42,000 Covid-19-associated deaths in long-term-care facilities, including nursing homes and assisted-living sites, along with more than 200,000 cases. This tally, too, likely undercounts the full impact of the outbreak because of reporting lags and incomplete information from some states.

There are a couple of maps that show states by nursing home cases and deaths per capita. Looks like a number of states who performed worse than NY in these measurements, which is interesting in light of New York’s policy. It seems infected staff members may have been more of an issue than putting recovering COVID patients in the nursing homes.
   4591. bobm Posted: June 02, 2020 at 09:41 AM (#5954888)
[4590] It seems infected staff members may have been more of an issue than putting recovering COVID patients in the nursing homes.

French nursing home outfoxes the coronavirus - Los Angeles Times

ASSOCIATED PRESS
MAY 4, 2020

LYON, France — As the coronavirus scythed through nursing homes, cutting a deadly path, Valerie Martin vowed to herself that the story would be different at the home she runs in France.

The action she took to stop the virus from infecting and killing the vulnerable older adults in her care was both drastic and effective: Martin and her staff locked themselves in with the 106 residents.

For 47 days and nights, staff and residents of the Vilanova nursing home on the outskirts of the east-central city of Lyon waited out the COVID-19 storm together as the disease killed tens of thousands of people in other care homes across Europe, including more than 9,000 people in France.

“I said, ‘No. Not mine. My residents still have so much to live for,’” Martin said in an interview. “I don’t want this virus to kill them when they have been through so much.”
   4592. PreservedFish Posted: June 02, 2020 at 09:50 AM (#5954891)
Thanks, bobm. That was always obviously the only way anyone could have prevented* COVID from reaching any one old folks' home. I didn't know if anyone had actually tried it.

*Mostly, they still need to accept food deliveries and such at the very least.
   4593. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 02, 2020 at 11:10 AM (#5954898)
My aunt lives in a retirement community. All the residents were banned from leaving (and if they left, had to quarantine for 2 weeks.) Food is delivered to doors, they closed the common cafeteria. All the workers are screened coming in for fever. All outside delivery people were banned too. They had to leave at gate. No cases so far.
   4594. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 02, 2020 at 11:48 AM (#5954905)

#4593 out of curiosity, what state/city is your aunt in?
   4595. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: June 02, 2020 at 11:49 AM (#5954906)
My former MIL's facility is basically in a form of lockdown and man is she pissed about it. Better annoyed than dead IMO though.
   4596. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 02, 2020 at 12:03 PM (#5954911)
#4593 out of curiosity, what state/city is your aunt in?

She lives in Maryland, just outside of D.C.
   4597. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 02, 2020 at 12:11 PM (#5954912)
Thanks. I was wondering whether those measures can be effective in an area with a relatively high infection rate, or whether stricter controls, as described in the article in #4591, would be needed in such areas. But if it works in MD/DC then it should be effective elsewhere.
   4598. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 02, 2020 at 12:13 PM (#5954913)
Here’s how this scene was viewed live in Australia. One of America’s closest and most dependable allies. Rendered speechless. Just watch.
pic.twitter.com/IjOzgs3WYo

— Brett McGurk (@brett_mcgurk) June 2, 2020

U.S. police have attacked at least 100 journalists in the past week, according to a tally by the Nieman Journalism Lab. Many of the foreign journalists appear confused about why cops would target reporters, something that typically only happens in strictly authoritarian countries.

link
   4599. . Posted: June 02, 2020 at 12:55 PM (#5954919)
Probably needs more rigorous confirmation, but it certainly appears that there's been a mutation into something nowhere near as bad. This is also confirmed by things like the continuing downtrend of problems in states that are nowhere near as locked down as at the peak:

Coronavirus no longer “clinically” exists in Italy, which has seen the deadly disease lose potency, according to a doctor.

New infections and fatalities from COVID-19, the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, fell steadily in the country in May.

“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan told RAI television. “The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago.”

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from COVID-19, with 33,475 deaths and 233,197 confirmed cases as of Tuesday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Italy — the first country in the world to surpass China’s coronavirus death toll — was the first European country to lock down in early March. It began a slow reopening of some cities last month in hopes of kickstarting its dwindled economy.

A second doctor, Matteo Bassetti, agreed that the coronavirus has weakened.

“The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today,” Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa, told the national ANSA news agency. “It is clear that today the COVID-19 disease is different.”
   4600. PreservedFish Posted: June 02, 2020 at 01:20 PM (#5954923)
flip
Page 46 of 65 pages ‹ First  < 44 45 46 47 48 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.