Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Empty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird

So, with the very likely possibility that baseball and basketball — at minimum — will be played to empty stadiums, it begs the question: Will it be as fun?

And before you answer, think about it for a second. No crowd noise. No intensity that builds for the home team or against the away team. Yes, the scoreboard will tell the tale, but the pressure is cranked up when you have a building full of crazy fans screaming their lungs out.

I get that it’s a business and that the money’s at the ML level, but considering crowds, distance from population centers, and the pleasures of relaxed fandom, I’ve been thinking that we might just run some mLs instead.

Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM | 6412 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, fans, stadiums

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 48 of 65 pages ‹ First  < 46 47 48 49 50 >  Last ›
   4701. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 03, 2020 at 04:16 PM (#5955157)
Shorter 4700: something could happen or maybe not.
   4702. Hot Wheeling American Posted: June 03, 2020 at 04:22 PM (#5955158)
That's the aim, I agree. The more you short-circuit the process the greater the chance of something bad happening. Most people seem willing to take the risk, but there is a risk.

Yep. Can't wait for when the anti-vaxxers and other bad faith actors conflate the issue when reasonable people express sincere reservations about being first in line for the Trump Vaccine.
   4703. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: June 03, 2020 at 04:43 PM (#5955162)
I believe Tegnell's argument has been that the real failure in Sweden is with the Senior homes and that this is (mostly) unrelated to the more controversial policies like allowing shops to stay open.

I've seen him make that argument. But it seems like an impossible plan. Let the virus pass through the populace, but expect it to remain out of senior homes.

If Sweden is anything like America, those homes are staffed with immigrants and the lower class, are poorly paid, and end up being carriers at a higher rate.

It is a disaster in the making.

The only way I've seen to "defend the senior homes" is the story of the few that locked their staff in with the residents.

4704. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 03, 2020 at 05:19 PM (#5955167)
WHO To Resume Hydroxychloroquine Trial:
The World Health Organization will restart its trial of hydroxychloroquine after getting the all-clear from a safety review, its chief announced today.

The U.N. health body paused enrolling patients in the part of its Solidarity trial studying hydroxychloroquine last week. Officials cited a large, observational study in the Lancet — echoing smaller studies — that suggested the malaria and lupus medication increased the risk of heart disease and death. The Lancet study has since come under fire, with the prestigious medical journal issuing an “expression of concern” about various problems with the data collection and methods.

A safety monitoring committee looked at death rates in both the WHO's Solidarity trial and the U.K.'s Recovery trial, which is also studying hydroxychloroquine, to see if they were different among patients taking that drug. The safety committee “recommended that there are no reasons to modify the trial protocol,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said today.
Seems like someone besides The Lancet itself needs to look into the “study” that caused the trial to be interrupted.
   4705. Ron J Posted: June 03, 2020 at 05:24 PM (#5955170)
4703 No disagreement. In Canada we tried sending the armed forces to senior homes and ... well so far 38 members of the armed forces have tested positive with all that this implies for the residents.

The Minister of Defense has said that relying on armed forces personnel is not sustainable.
   4706. Srul Itza Posted: June 03, 2020 at 06:10 PM (#5955179)
More on hydroxychloroquine: Results published by the New England Journal of Medicine today appear to show that hydroxychloroquine was no better than placebo pills at preventing Covid-19 in people exposed to it (as opposed to curing it). The drug did not cause serious harm, either -- about 40% on it had side effects, mostly mild stomach problems.

This is different from the studies regarding trying to use it as a cure.
   4707. Srul Itza Posted: June 03, 2020 at 06:13 PM (#5955180)
The only way I've seen to "defend the senior homes" is the story of the few that locked their staff in with the residents.

Part of the success story out here mid-Pacific is that we have had practically no care home or AL home outbreaks. There was something of an outbreak at Maui Memorial Hospital, but I think only 1 death was connected to it (there were only 6 fatalities on all of Maui related to COVID)
   4708. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 03, 2020 at 06:39 PM (#5955184)
Don't read it if you need a safe space and I'll apologize upfront for people upset about breaking the OTP rule.

But I think this piece from Mattis hits the trifecta of being necessary, being appropriate, and being extraordinary and should be read.

EDIT: I suppose technically, that's a quadfecta.
   4709. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 03, 2020 at 07:08 PM (#5955187)
it's a nice read, but leaves one wondering what's running the AF at present. Turkey comes to mind as I write that.
   4710. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 03, 2020 at 07:43 PM (#5955188)
   4711. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:00 PM (#5955189)
Re 4708: "James Mattis, the esteemed Marine general who resigned as secretary of defense in December 2018 to protest Donald Trump’s Syria policy"

But I'm sure he's being completely fair and even-handed here. Uh-huh.

Get a job, Jimmy.
   4712. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:02 PM (#5955190)

Did you ever consider that maybe he is?
   4713. Ron J Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:09 PM (#5955191)
4711 Anybody who is OK with what happened in Lafayette Square is morally defective. Lose the snark here and pick a side.
   4714. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:10 PM (#5955192)
They did, Ron, and they look stungunning on brown.
   4715. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:35 PM (#5955195)
What the #### does that even mean? A sportswriter says, "The 2019 Orioles sucked because their pitching, hitting, and defense were crappy," and your response is to say, "Well, maybe this guy is no longer an Orioles fan, so I will sarcastically suggest that he might not be even-handed"? It's completely nonsensical. First, it's a category error to even discuss "evenhandedness." The criticism stands on its own. Second, well, I hate to repeat myself, but it's nonsensical. Only the criticisms of Trump by people who love Trump and would never criticize him count? (And if they do criticize him, then that proves that they don't love him and therefore they don't count?)
   4716. . Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:57 PM (#5955197)

Get a job, Jimmy.

The problem is that in the current atmosphere, we can't tell whether it's sincere -- or merely fashion. It seems massively, even theatrically, overwrought to be sure, which militates toward fashion.
   4717. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:00 PM (#5955199)
@kaistradamus
This video of Malcom Jenkins telling Drew Brees to shut the f*ck up is everything...
https://twitter.com/kaistradamus/status/1268294388326625281
   4718. Howie Menckel Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:02 PM (#5955201)
COVID-19 discussion, we hardly knew ye
   4719. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:03 PM (#5955202)
What the #### does that even mean? A sportswriter says, "The 2019 Orioles sucked because their pitching, hitting, and defense were crappy," and your response is to say, "Well, maybe this guy is no longer an Orioles fan, so I will sarcastically suggest that he might not be even-handed"? It's completely nonsensical. First, it's a category error to even discuss "evenhandedness." The criticism stands on its own. Second, well, I hate to repeat myself, but it's nonsensical. Only the criticisms of Trump by people who love Trump and would never criticize him count? (And if they do criticize him, then that proves that they don't love him and therefore they don't count?)
isn't this the official FBI policy for political investigations now?

4720. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:03 PM (#5955203)
go write for deadspin you horses ass
   4721. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:09 PM (#5955205)
Pee Tape ruins every thread.
   4722. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:12 PM (#5955207)
now, c'mon, daily stock market reports are what a covid-sports thread is all about
   4723. . Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:16 PM (#5955208)
Anybody who is OK with what happened in Lafayette Square is morally defective.

No, it didn't raise to anything like that level. It wasn't really even that big a deal. Was it the greatest thing ever? No, but so what -- a bunch of things aren't.

People really need to start understanding that not everyone marinates themselves in Twitter and Facebook and the other things that make a bunch of money keeping people perpetually outraged. If people stopped doing that, we'd probably be out of the business of these daily, sometimes hourly, "If you aren't as outraged as I am by the outrageous thing I just got sold, you're a moral defective" business.

Companies are making millions of dollars from selling you this #### and then you sit there Twitter-fed all the outrage of all the other outraged hamsters-on-the-wheel and it's all badly distorting your perceptions. It's like being sober and talking to a bunch of drunk people.
   4724. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:18 PM (#5955209)

I thought it was important and needed to be read.

It's stupid and laughably ineffective, but in fact - specifically because of COVID and some related reasons with a severely health-compromised relative that I need to visit soon, I haven't been comfortable joining in the protests because like a lot of people.... Life is complicated, we often need to prioritize and sometimes that prioritization means individual choices and social choices become a jumble.

So, if crossing a virtual street against traffic with a single link serving as a poor man's sign is what I'm able to do, it's what I did.

But I'll say this as civilly as possible, Howie. I don't think you have standing to chide me any more than I would have had standing to chide you based on prior postings.
   4725. . Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:21 PM (#5955210)
I thought it was important and needed to be read.

It was neither, nor is there anything remotely like a shortage of Tangerine Bad material out there.
   4726. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:22 PM (#5955211)

No, it didn't raise to anything like that level. It wasn't really even that big a deal.

Sure it was: it made Trump look good, and that ain't allowed. (Actually, it didn't even do that: it tried and failed to make Trump look good!)

It's like being sober and talking to a bunch of drunk people.

Welcome to 2020.
   4727. . Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:26 PM (#5955214)
(Actually, it didn't even do that: it tried and failed to make Trump look good!)

He looked preposterous.
   4728. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:27 PM (#5955215)

No, it didn't raise to anything like that level. It wasn't really even that big a deal.

Sure it was: it made Trump look good, and that ain't allowed. (Actually, it didn't even do that: it tried and failed to make Trump look good!)

Seriously?

Tiananmen Square good?
   4729. . Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:33 PM (#5955216)
Tiananmen Square good?

Right, zonk, it was *exactly* like Tianenmen Square.

Nice to see though that like ten seconds after comparing this all to being sober and talking to drunk people, in staggers an old standby, a couple of fifths deep.
   4730. bobm Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:35 PM (#5955217)
NY Times: "Some people might be more vulnerable to Covid-19 because of their genes, a new study says."

[...] Geneticists have been scouring our DNA for clues. Now, a study by European scientists is the first to document a strong statistical link between genetic variations and Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Variations at two spots in the human genome are associated with an increased risk of respiratory failure in patients with Covid-19, the researchers found. One of these spots includes the gene that determines blood types.

Having Type A blood was linked to a 50 percent increase in the likelihood that a patient would need to get oxygen or to go on a ventilator, according to the new study.

The findings suggest that relatively unexplored factors may be playing a large role in who develops life-threatening Covid-19. The new study is currently going through peer review.

It’s not the first time Type A blood has turned up as a possible risk. Chinese scientists who examined patient blood types also found that those with Type A were more likely to develop a serious case of Covid-19. No one knows why.

“That is haunting me, quite honestly,” said Andre Franke, a molecular geneticist at the University of Kiel in Germany and a co-author of the new study. [Emphasis added]
   4731. baxter Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:42 PM (#5955218)
Re 4730

Association is not causation, but when so many members of the Fusco family New Jersey succumbed, it raised that issue in my mind (as a layperson, of course).
   4732. JJ1986 Posted: June 03, 2020 at 09:54 PM (#5955219)
What the #### is wrong with you?
   4733. Howie Menckel Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:09 PM (#5955220)
But I'll say this as civilly as possible, Howie. I don't think you have standing to chide me any more than I would have had standing to chide you based on prior postings.

is this a lifetime sentence, or can I get time off for good behavior?

willing to grant you similar leniency from tonight.

pro tip: I got baited by a couple of provocateurs a couple of weeks ago who have now been consigned to the dustbin of "ignore."

the stench is now gone from my feed - and it's not about ideology as much about whether they ever posted much of anything constructive or thought-provoking.

basically, there are looters amid this otherwise peaceful discussion. and they hope to burn down the entire thread.
   4734. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:20 PM (#5955223)
But I'm sure he's being completely fair and even-handed here.

What manner of Trump criticism have you found fair and/or even-handed? Other than someone needs to shoot his tailor? None?
   4735. Dr. Vaux Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:24 PM (#5955224)
For a brief moment, I thought that worldwide emergency might get people to find something more important than scoring political points. It's not surprising that if an emergency won't do it, a tragedy won't do it either.
   4736. Howie Menckel Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:27 PM (#5955225)
numerous polling inefficiencies alert:

News12NJ
@News12NJ
·
1h
New Jersey restaurants can begin offering outdoor dining by June 15. Are you willing to eat outside?

Yes, sounds like fun 73.5%
No, I'd rather eat indoors 26.5%
1,371 votes · 22 hours left
   4737. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:29 PM (#5955226)
New Jersey restaurants can begin offering outdoor dining by June 15. Are you willing to eat outside?

New Jersey? Sure. Utica? No. It might snow, FFS.

(I've never liked NYC sidewalk dining, personally. I don't want to deal with people walking by me eating the whole meal.)
   4738. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:32 PM (#5955227)

It wasn’t tiennamen square, but he gassed American citizens who weren’t breaking any laws so he could hold up a book he’s never read and use that book to divide the country he swore an oath to protect.
   4739. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:37 PM (#5955228)
I've never liked NYC sidewalk dining, personally. I don't want to deal with people walking by me eating the whole meal.
Maybe they’ll get the looting under control by the time NYC restaurants open.
   4740. . Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:46 PM (#5955229)
It wasn’t tiennamen square,

It's not in the same galaxy. It wasn't in the same galaxy as Kent State.

but he gassed American citizens

No, he didn't. The term "gassed" is a loaded term, implying death or injury as a result.(*) It sounds to a sober person like something like "Democrat Party" -- a signifier of hacketry. Or, worse, evocative of actual gassing like Assad in Syria.

to divide the country he swore an oath to protect.

The country's been divided for 20-plus years. It was divided under W Bush, it was divided under Obama, it's divided under Trump. W Bush did not unite the country, Obama did not unite the country, Trump has not united the country. It can't be united. It is no more divided than it would have been if Trump had not walked to the church with the Bible.

Nothing about the walk contravened his so-called oath to protect the country. That oath does not imply that no citizen participating in mass civil unrest will ever be injured or cleared from the territory they're occupying.

(*) And even the tear gas itself appears to be a lie.
   4741. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:47 PM (#5955230)
I've never liked NYC sidewalk dining, personally. I don't want to deal with people walking by me eating the whole meal.

Maybe they’ll get the looting under control by the time NYC restaurants open.

Is it out of control? My brother lives in Brooklyn - and is a restaurant owner, FWIW - and we were just swapping texts about NYC vs Chicago and our conversation was a heckuva lot of joking about breaking curfew than it was "are you safe and OK?"

...FTR, given the choice - I always prefer eating outside.
   4742. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:47 PM (#5955231)
It wasn’t tiennamen square, but he gassed American citizens who weren’t breaking any laws so he could hold up a book he’s never read and use that book to divide the country he swore an oath to protect.
You’re wrong on all counts - no tear gas was used and those “protestors” weren’t peaceful:
At approximately 6:33 pm, violent protestors on H Street NW began throwing projectiles including bricks, frozen water bottles and caustic liquids. The protestors also climbed onto a historic building at the north end of Lafayette Park that was destroyed by arson days prior. Intelligence had revealed calls for violence against the police, and officers found caches of glass bottles, baseball bats and metal poles hidden along the street.

To curtail the violence that was underway, the USPP, following established policy, issued three warnings over a loudspeaker to alert demonstrators on H Street to evacuate the area. Horse mounted patrol, Civil Disturbance Units and additional personnel were used to clear the area. As many of the protestors became more combative, continued to throw projectiles, and attempted to grab officers’ weapons, officers then employed the use of smoke canisters and pepper balls. No tear gas was used by USPP officers or other assisting law enforcement partners to close the area at Lafayette Park.
Big difference between rioters, looters, or vandals and peaceful protestors.
   4743. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:47 PM (#5955232)
I blame my dogs for that poor syntax. Or Trump. Maybe my newly-diagnosed trigger-finger tendon in my left ring finger.

I just don't like having a parade of people walking by me for the entire duration of my meal.
   4744. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:49 PM (#5955233)
The term "gassed" is a loaded term, implying death or injury as a result.

Not if you speak English.
   4745. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:50 PM (#5955234)
The rector of the church Trump invaded disagrees.
   4746. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:50 PM (#5955235)
You’re wrong on all counts - no tear gas was used and those “protestors” weren’t peaceful:

The chemical analysis charade is pretty pathetic. I think plenty of people saw what happened as it was actually happening... Hell, people in Australia saw what was happening per their own live reporter on the scene.

Not to mention, the claim - which I do not believe - doesn't even make logical sense.... Things were getting out of hand so we didn't fire "tear gas" - we merely fired off munitions that only cause smoke... Exactly what good does that do in such a situation? Obscure what's happening?
   4747. Srul Itza Posted: June 03, 2020 at 10:51 PM (#5955236)

New Jersey? Sure.

Me, too.

5,000 miles outside New Jersey, WxSW
   4748. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: June 03, 2020 at 11:00 PM (#5955237)
The Trump regime is reached the point where his supporters current argument is "he didn't order tear gas on the protesters before holding up a strange bible, he used pepper balls on them."
   4749. Hot Wheeling American Posted: June 03, 2020 at 11:00 PM (#5955238)
As The Yankee Clapper is one of this baseball message board’s most successful ‘looters’, I’ve had him on ignore for a week or two and don’t miss the lies and lawlessness. Is he still ranting about NYC? At least Megan McCain has the excuse of keeping a residence here. What is The Yankee Clapper’s excuse? I’ll hang up and listen (but not to The Yankee Clapper’s posts, cuz ignoring).
   4750. Lassus Posted: June 03, 2020 at 11:03 PM (#5955239)
You’re wrong on all counts - no tear gas was used

You are, as usual, a pathetic joke on all counts - USA TODAY
WHAT THE FEDS SAID HAPPENED

The U.S.Park Police, one of the law enforcement agencies involved with clearing the park on Monday,denied using tear gas. But the agency acknowledged using "pepper balls," another chemical irritant that causes people to tear up and cough.

The agency also said it used "smoke canisters."

But the Park Police was only one of the agencies involved. Others, including the Secret Service and the D.C. National Guard, have declined to say what tactics or munitions they deployed to clear the park on Monday night.

4751. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 03, 2020 at 11:53 PM (#5955240)
"pepper balls,"

sure, don't you remember pepper spray from the Gezi protests?

Pepper in Turkish is biber, hence the graffitun, "Just In, Biber!"
   4752. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 03, 2020 at 11:58 PM (#5955241)

No, it didn't raise to anything like that level. It wasn't really even that big a deal. Was it the greatest thing ever? No, but so what -- a bunch of things aren't.
Hush. The grownups are talking.
   4753. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:09 AM (#5955242)
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Wednesday compared President Trump’s photo opportunity in front of St. John’s Episcopal Church to former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill’s examination of World War II bombing damage in 1941.

At least now we know who Clapper is IRL
   4754. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:22 AM (#5955243)

Tear gas was used, and the protesters were peaceful.

You're arguing that George Floyd deserved to be murdered because he was resisting arrest. I mean, that’s what the police report says, so it must be true.
   4755. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:26 AM (#5955244)
Lassus, you're giving too much credit to the chemical truthers by quoting that USA Today piece. Pepper balls are not "another" chemical irritant; they are tear gas. They may not necessarily be what laypeople think of when they think of tear gas — that's CS — but they are in fact tear gas.
   4756. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:38 AM (#5955245)
The Trump regime is reached the point where his supporters current argument is "he didn't order tear gas on the protesters before holding up a strange bible, he used pepper balls on them."

vote for the republican party:

you'll lose your job
you'll lose your home
your parents will die
you won't be allowed to leave your hobo shack under threat of chemical warfare

but at least you won't have affordable healthcare.

when do we start eating these ####### hogs?
   4757. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:42 AM (#5955246)

from unmarked cars to unmarked cops

Whow long before Blackwater (or whatever the brand is now) patrols?
   4758. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:59 AM (#5955247)
Bleh.
   4759. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:34 AM (#5955250)
"[Boras] doesn't have any insight into our balance sheet, and as we have been investing in the ballpark, we've been spending more on the field. We've been one of the top spenders in the league while we were fixing up Wrigley Field. We don't take money out of the team. Most owners don't. We're investing in the future of the club and the current team on the field." ESPN

And since Ricketts is never going to be forthright about what the team actually makes (or anything else in his sorry life), we are where we are.

Also: none of what he said refutes Boras's point that the money spent on the stadium increases its value and thus Ricketts's investment; none of that goes to the players.
   4760. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:42 AM (#5955251)
Re 4708: "James Mattis, the esteemed Marine general who resigned as secretary of defense in December 2018 to protest Donald Trump’s Syria policy"

Get a job, Jimmy.

okay, a few more thoughts on this:

1: mattis wasn't just some prostitute who trump paid to spank him with a copy of forbes magazine while calling her 'ivanka' (the daughter's name, not (one of) the ex-wife's)**; he was the secretary of defense.

2: the fact that mattis worked alongside trump for more than an hour before resigning is all the evidence you need to question his judgment, morality and character. the fact that he eventually resigned is insignificant in comparison.

3: how could mattis have left the trump regime in such a way that you wouldn't think that he's incapable of being "even-handed"? he wasn't fired. he wasn't arrested. he didn't have some massive scandal where his wife bought a $35,000 toilet. it seems like the only people you trust coming out of the trump regime are the ones that leave in a casket. for lack of a more exact description, that means you're in ####### death cult, you hogswallowing pigfucker.

** oh, and that's not to be confused with the group of russian prostitutes (rip) that trump paid to pee on him while he laid on a bed that barrack obama ###### his wife in.***

*** and those russian prostitutes are not to be confused with the former adult film "star", whose pre-election hush-money payoff landed michael (donald trump's personal attorney) cohen in jail.

4761. BrianBrianson Posted: June 04, 2020 at 03:42 AM (#5955254)

New Jersey? Sure. Utica? No. It might snow, FFS.

Well, restaurants can re-open but you can only sit outside is the current situation in France. The weather is flippin' lovely - although having been inside during the lockdown? I'm not getting sunburnt if I stand to close to the windows for more than a couple minutes.

We'll see how it plays out, but it certainly seems like a lot of the spreading has been big indoor events with recirculated air.
   4762. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 04, 2020 at 04:29 AM (#5955257)
Spain appears to have found an innovative way to reduce their Covid-19 reported deaths: on a daily basis, they will now only report deaths that occurred on the previous day. So almost all deaths, which take a few days at least to filter through reporting mechanisms, aren't counted. (There is some kind of catch-up mechanism on a less frequent basis.)

Financial Times Twitter thread explains.
   4763. Lassus Posted: June 04, 2020 at 06:18 AM (#5955258)
Re:4762 - As I mentioned six (four? 30?) weeks ago this whole coronavirus response is like watching a real- time explanation of how consciousness is responsible for the Fermi Paradox.
   4764. Lassus Posted: June 04, 2020 at 07:09 AM (#5955259)
What would the dates of the second wave look like? Mid-july?
   4765. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 07:50 AM (#5955262)
How soon they forget:

President Barack Obama forcefully condemned the riots in Baltimore as "counterproductive" on Tuesday, labeling the rioters as "criminals and thugs" and striking a new tone of frustration with the cycle of allegations of deadly police abuse followed by violent protests.

Thousands of police in riot gear and National Guard troops patrolled Baltimore to enforce a curfew on Tuesday night, dispersing protesters with pepper spray a day after the city was shaken by the worst rioting in the United States in years.

With helicopters overhead and armored vehicles on the ground, most people respected a curfew that started at 10 p.m. EDT and goes until 5 a.m. all week.

But a few hundred people defied authorities, gathering at an intersection that was the scene of heavy looting in the largely black city a night earlier. Police broke up the group using rubber bullets and projectiles with pepper spray chemical irritant, and arrested seven people. Three more were arrested elsewhere in the city.

Obama brought out the National Guard en masse to gas and rubber bullet the people protesting police brutality that he called criminals and thugs. But muh outrage.
   4766. Sunday silence Posted: June 04, 2020 at 07:56 AM (#5955263)
Re: risk factors and covid. There's also seem to be lot of risk associated w/ diabetes and asthma.

It seems to me that if A) Trump is nearly always capable of creating bad press for himself and B) he never seems to have a plan B, its always a frontal attack, then

the protesters are getting exactly what they want. Trump looking bad. Therefore I expect to see much more of this stuff.

Its also very interesting from the stand point of revolutionaries. It always helps to have convenient bogey man in the form of a human being. A villain if you will. Saul Alinsky in Rules for Radicals pointed this out. It really helps to focus anger and of course Trump is like a great example of this. Not sure what Abbie Hoffman would have to say.
   4767. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:01 AM (#5955264)
I think there's two second-wave scenarios mentioned:

a) 2-4 weeks after lockdowns are significantly relaxed, particularly around indoor gatherings (restaurants, churches, workplaces) where mitigations aren't in place like spacing between people, masks, airflow considerations. Obviously dynamic based on individual regions' strategies and mitigation efforts.

Most European nations don't seem to be experiencing this - EDIT; so far. Germany has seen a rising R measure over the last week, but it's hovering around 1. Some areas, like Berlin, are however well over 1.

b) Evidence from some scientists suggests that easing lockdown in summer isn't that big a deal. People are outside, weather is warmer, sunlight hours are longer, and Covid-19 is fresher in the memory. But come September-October, a surge is much more likely. I assume that this is based on experience gained from flu - however, as we've seen in the UK, the flu pandemic playbook hasn't always served well.

If there are second waves in summer, then we need better mitigations to be able to avoid locking down again. If there are second waves only in some places in summer, then differences in mitigation strategies may be to blame. If there's no second waves in summer but we do experience one in fall, then we're going to be very urgently looking for treatments and vaccines, I think, because a flu season plus a Covid-19 resurgence is potentially getting us back to Lombardy in March.
   4768. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:27 AM (#5955266)

Is it out of control? My brother lives in Brooklyn - and is a restaurant owner, FWIW - and we were just swapping texts about NYC vs Chicago and our conversation was a heckuva lot of joking about breaking curfew than it was "are you safe and OK?"

FWIW, we are not there right now, but according to people in our apartment building, two liquor stores around the corner were looted and several restaurants had their windows broken. This is in Chelsea.

Lots of stores looted near my office in Flatiron as well. A friend who has been watching from his rooftop tells me that in some cases, people drive up when protestors and police are distracted elsewhere, jump out and smash the store windows, grab what they can and drive off. He thinks it’s people from out of town who are largely unrelated to the protests, just being opportunistic criminals.

My sense was that it has been getting calmer but I haven’t caught up on the news from last night yet.
   4769. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:32 AM (#5955267)
Its also very interesting from the stand point of revolutionaries. It always helps to have convenient bogey man in the form of a human being. A villain if you will.

If you strip away the identity of the person who happens to temporarily hold the office, as I do, the idea actually makes some sense. There's a lot of civil unrest and discord, people are penned up, the unrest is so bad and so close that a church a block from the White House got torched, let me go out in front of that church, it might be a reassuring act and visual and if I can say a few words that match the moment, it makes perfect sense. Once that decision is made, the area would have been cleared and secured and Secret Serviced for every president who's ever presidented, and if there were people around who didn't get the hint the first, second, and third time -- as happened here -- standard crowd control efforts such as tear gas would have been deployed. You don't get to block the president's movements with your protests and the idea that you do is absurd.

But then, in actual execution, Trump just happened to look buffoonish, preposterous, and ridiculous in every dimension and he's of course ... Trump ... so yeah. No big deal, really -- certainly nothing outside the ordinary. But people want to be perpetually outraged and they're sold outrage around the clock, so they're perpetually outraged.
   4770. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:35 AM (#5955269)
We are not there right now, but according to people in our apartment building, two liquor stores around the corner were looted and several restaurants had their windows broken. This is in Chelsea.

Whereabouts in Chelsea, if you don't mind me asking? My company used to have NYC offices in the 'Google building', across from Chelsea Market so it's the wee bit of Manhattan I'm kind of familiar with.
   4771. Tony S Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:43 AM (#5955270)
What would the dates of the second wave look like? Mid-july?

The first wave is still going strong.
   4772. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:44 AM (#5955271)
On 9th Avenue, about 6 blocks up from Chelsea Market, is where the damage occurred. (EDIT: there may have been other damage, that’s just what our neighbor told us about since that’s what’s near our building.)
   4773. Ron J Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:56 AM (#5955272)
To add to what DMN said in 4755:

Tear gas and pepper spray fall under the umbrella term of "riot control agents" and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes the term "tear gas" is sometimes used to refer to riot control agents generally.

Tear gas and pepper spray/balls produce the same broad effects on people exposed, such as burning in the eyes, nose and mouth as well as effecting the lungs and skin according to the CDC. "Riot control agents (sometimes referred to as 'tear gas') are chemical compounds that temporarily make people unable to function by causing irritation to the eyes, mouth, throat, lungs, and skin," the CDC says.

Tear gas (which isn't actually a gas, but is a powdery solid) is usually deployed from a cannister whereas pepper spray is sprayed or shot in balls that explode and spread the oil-based chemical on impact. Some of the effects of these agents can last up to 24 hours.
   4774. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 09:48 AM (#5955276)
Also, I caught up with an old friend last night whose mother in law died of COVID-19 last month. (I knew she had died but did not previously know the cause.). She was in an assisted living facility outside of DC and they had an outbreak there.
   4775. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:00 AM (#5955280)
After a week of reported death totals that were each worse than the same weekday the week prior, Sweden has posted 6 straight that are now better than the week prior, so are moving back in the right direction. Most are also better than the numbers from 2 weeks prior as well. The average of the last 2 weeks now matches the average of the week before that. Added in with the earlier downward trend, the ICU reports and the new cases (generally flat with increases in testing) and there appears still to be a slow downward trend.
   4776. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:11 AM (#5955281)
Got an email this morning from the barbecue place we like here in northern Westchester; they'll be open for outdoor patrons beginning next Tuesday. Good news!

Then I see further indications that those with blood type A are at greater risk if they get covid-19. The mrs & I are both type A. Bad news!

Where does the line for the vaccine start?
   4777. Howie Menckel Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:20 AM (#5955282)
a few years ago at a family gathering, it got only mildly awkward when we discovered that my four siblings and I all had married into the "universal donor" cohort.

seems like a sensible play, evolution-style.

personal blood bank, and for any friends as well
   4778. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:32 AM (#5955287)
Obama brought out the National Guard en masse to gas and rubber bullet the people protesting police brutality that he called criminals and thugs. But muh outrage.
Obama didn't bring out the National Guard at all, you ####### troll.
   4779. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:53 AM (#5955289)
SBB never posts links to the articles or studies he’s quoting. Usually a tell that he’s misrepresenting the content in some way. After the first couple of times I just started ignoring those posts.
   4780. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5955292)
AP, July 30, 2015:

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has refused to reverse its denial of disaster aid to help Maryland and Baltimore recover millions of dollars in costs stemming from rioting in the city in April, Gov. Larry Hogan’s office said Thursday.

FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said in a letter to the Republican governor Wednesday that after thoroughly reviewing Hogan’s appeal, the agency had reaffirmed its June 12 finding that a major disaster declaration “is not appropriate for this event.”

The decision drew an angry response from the governor’s office.

“Gov. Hogan is disgusted and outraged by FEMA’s decision, especially in light of the attention that the Obama administration paid to the city and state’s response to the riots,” spokesman Matt Clark said.

President Barack Obama pledged in April that the federal government would provide assistance as needed to respond to the rioting that broke out after the funeral of Freddie Gray, a black man who suffered a fatal spinal cord injury in police custody.

Maryland’s request included a $19.4 million estimate for emergency protective measures, including police overtime, National Guard activation, and damage to public buildings and equipment. A presidential disaster declaration would have allowed agencies to recover 75 percent of eligible costs.

https://apnews.com/ce584f6397df4ccc8e38bc3010358c93
   4781. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5955293)
Usually a tell that he’s misrepresenting the content in some way.
His handle on the post is a tell that he's misrepresenting the content in some way.

EDIT: Wow. He proved my point while I was typing my response to Dave's comment.
   4782. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:11 AM (#5955294)
Criminals and thugs, national guard, gas/rubber bullets:

https://www.governing.com/topics/public-justice-safety/obama-urges-soul-searching-baltimore-riots.html

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/28/baltimore-obama-troops-riots-police-protesters

Your purported heuristic is way, way off. Just another form of deflection. But by all means -- be outraged.
   4783. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:15 AM (#5955295)
President Obama today called the riots in Baltimore "senseless violence and destruction."

"They're not protesting, they're not making a statement. They're stealing," Obama said at an afternoon news conference in Washington. "They're destroying and undermining businesses and opportunities in their own communities.

"They need to be treated as criminals," he added.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/baltimore-riots-happen-tonight-governor/story?id=30636494

Letting the rioters burn and loot (*) in like 40 Baltimores ought to play real well at the polls this November. Shaping up as yet another squandered opportunity, after nominating a woman who despises half the country the last time, and yet another example of confusing the echo chamber snark of leftist Twitter with actual public opinion.

(*) And in some instances overtly cheering them on.
   4784. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:26 AM (#5955298)
Maryland activated their National Guard, Obama did not send it in. I believe that’s the distinction.
   4785. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:45 AM (#5955305)
Multiple public presidential denunciations of protesters against state brutality as senseless, criminals, thugs, thieves, fake protesters. Wide-scale military units of the state mobilized and deployed. Tear gas and rubber bullets used by the military units of the state against the purported criminals and thugs.

Looking mighty fascist.
   4786. Kiko Sakata Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:16 PM (#5955311)
Following up on my comment from a week ago (#4462)

I pulled down the CDC mortality data by week from here.

It's really cool data - it gives total deaths by week by state for all of 2019 and 2020 (through the week ending May 16th when I pulled it down - I assume it updates weekly; not sure when) and also breaks out deaths by some broad categories (it breaks out "Natural" and "COVID" among others). But WOW is it clearly sketchy in some places.

For example, for the 52 weeks of 2019 and the first 9 weeks of 2020 (through the week ending Feb 29), the state of Connecticut reported between 537 and 734 deaths every week. Bit of a range, mostly seasonal (all of the numbers under 600 were last summer). But they report 11 weeks since then, for which the number of deaths in Connecticut were, in order, 198-191-216-243-222-360-475-299-39-0-0. It appears that nobody died in the entire state of Connecticut from May 3 - May 16 of this year.

Anyway, this is fascinating data. But, realistically, it's going to be awfully hard to draw particularly detailed conclusions about excess deaths for several months if not a year or two. (And while the Connecticut data, for example, is obviously unusable right now, the problem is that there are other states where the data is not OBVIOUSLY unusable yet, but probably really is - especially when what you're looking for - excess deaths - would actually work to HIDE the problem.)

So, it turns out the data are updated every Thursday, adding the week ended 12 days earlier. So, today we got our first numbers for the week ending May 23rd along with updated numbers for earlier weeks.

One big issue I was curious to see is how many new deaths would get reported for earlier weeks. In the 52 weeks of 2019 (i.e., the 52 weeks which ended in 2019), the data here report just under 2.8 million total deaths, which works out to 53,784 per week - just under 57,000 per week in the winter (Jan - Mar, Dec), just over 51,000 per week from June - Sep. Interestingly, even some of the 2019 data changed with the new week's release: total deaths in 2019 increased by 677, but even more interestingly, deaths per week actually declined in 7 of the 52 weeks - I assume they were moved from one week to another but didn't really dig any deeper.

Here, then, are the additional deaths added with this week's release:

Week ending:
May 23 34,838
May 16 9,742 (# went from 39,983 to 49,725)
May 9 3,440 (# went from 52,902 to 56,342)
May 2 1,723 (# went from 57,690 to 59,413)
April 25 1,283 (# went from 62,507 to 63,790)
April 18 1,077 (# went from 65,515 to 66,592)
April 11 893 (# went from 66,900 to 67,793)
April 4 587

March 1,415
Jan - Feb 467

Incidentally, the deadliest week in 2019 was the week ending March 9, 2019, with 57,545 reported deaths (this # was revised up by 14 w/ this week's CDC data release). That number was exceeded in each of the first three weeks of 2020 (worse flu season? early COVID-19 deaths?) and was also exceeded every week from March 28 through (at least) May 2.

Trying to just take the data we have - recognizing that it's incomplete but not trying to "complete" it (i.e., if data for a week for a state look incomplete, I just zeroed out that state) - my best guess is that there have probably been at least 20,000 "excess" natural, non-COVID deaths in the U.S. this year.

Going back to last week, the numbers for May 2 (57,690) and earlier all "looked" complete at that time. Despite this, 8,122 additional deaths were added for those weeks with this week's data release. So, that "at least 20,000" could still grow quite a bit.
   4787. Kiko Sakata Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:17 PM (#5955312)
Following up on my last comment, the CDC death data that I downloaded - see here - breaks deaths down by several broad categories. First, in addition to total deaths, it also reports "natural" deaths. (It also specifies "COVID" deaths, which I used to calculate the "natural non-COVID deaths" numbers I referenced in my last post)

If you subtract natural deaths from total deaths, you get what could be called "unnatural" deaths and which I assume would include things like homicide, suicide, auto accidents, other accidents. Given the magnitude, I think it probably also includes drug overdoses.

In 2019, there were 4,754 "unnatural" deaths per week. Unnatural deaths seem to have the opposite seasonal pattern as natural deaths: they peak in the summer (4,900-ish per week from Memorial Day to Labor Day in 2019) and are lowest in late winter and spring (~4,600 per week from Jan 19 - May 18 in 2019).

The lowest weekly total number of "unnatural" deaths in 2019 was 4,437 (week ending Jan 26, 2019). Unnatural deaths have been 4,000 or lower every week since the week ending March 21st (exactly 4,000 that week).

A lot of that, of course, is missing data, so those raw death numbers are probably going to go up some. So take my next sentence with an even bigger grain of salt than my "excess death" estimate in my previous comment. But - throwing out state-level data that are obviously incomplete - it appears that there could perhaps be 5-6,000 fewer "unnatural" deaths this year than last year, perhaps due, in part, to "lockdown" measures. Although I suspect that number is probably more likely to go down than to go up as more data are released.
   4788. baxter Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:31 PM (#5955315)
Full circle change on NSAID's and COVID (ibuprofen):

Common Painkiller Tested Against Covid-19 in U.K. Study

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/common-painkiller-tested-against-covid-19-in-u-k-study
   4789. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:34 PM (#5955317)
   4790. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 12:45 PM (#5955319)
potential good news for those not allergic to NSAIDs
   4791. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:05 PM (#5955325)
Shorter FLTB: Trump teargassed peaceful protesters, but Obama criticized looting, so bothsides.
   4792. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:09 PM (#5955326)
Trying to just take the data we have - recognizing that it's incomplete but not trying to "complete" it (i.e., if data for a week for a state look incomplete, I just zeroed out that state) - my best guess is that there have probably been at least 20,000 "excess" natural, non-COVID deaths in the U.S. this year.

Kiko, just so I understand your statement above, are you saying that there were 20,000 additional deaths that were affirmatively non-COVID related? Or are you saying those deaths were likely caused by COVID and not identified or reported as such?

Are you using 2019 as your baseline, or some broader average of prior years?
   4793. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:12 PM (#5955327)

What the #### is wrong with you?

Give us a kiss, huh?

Trump's pose in front of the church will probably shore up his base of older evangelicals (people less likely to vote thanks to COVID), but looked silly to the rest of us. Lefties, however, are annoyed at the very idea that Trump even tried to make himself look good, screeching about "tear gas!" and other nonsense. Geez, if it were up to lefties, not only would Trump be un-elected, he would be strung up. (I'd settle for the first, if there were actually someone to replace him with.)

Letting the rioters burn and loot (and in some instances overtly cheering them on) in like 40 Baltimores ought to play real well at the polls this November. Shaping up as yet another squandered opportunity, after nominating a woman who despises half the country the last time, and yet another example of confusing the echo chamber snark of leftist Twitter with actual public opinion.

Memo to looters: if you don't stop this, two things will happen: (a) some of you will be killed, and (b) Trump will get re-elected. (I'm guessing you don't want either of those things.)

4794. JJ1986 Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:18 PM (#5955331)
If you are going to defend Trump all of the time, it would help to actually understand why people are criticizing him.
   4795. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:23 PM (#5955333)

If you are going to defend Trump all of the time, it would help to actually understand why people are criticizing him.

Assuming some residual humanity on his part, that would make the task more difficult. Absent that humanity, it's not gonna happen.
   4796. Kiko Sakata Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:26 PM (#5955334)
Kiko, just so I understand your statement above, are you saying that there were 20,000 additional deaths that were affirmatively non-COVID related? Or are you saying those deaths were likely caused by COVID and not identified or reported as such?

Are you using 2019 as your baseline, or some broader average of prior years?

I'm taking weekly data for "natural" deaths and subtracting COVID deaths as reported in the same source. I'm then comparing that against an "expectation". The data are reported by state. I'm only doing this for a state if the data look "complete" for that week and/or more recent weeks. The data series for weekly data here only go back to 2019, so I'm basing my "expectations" on the numbers in 2019 and the first two months of 2020 (I'm generally treating the first two months of 2020 as complete with no missing COVID deaths). I have annual data back to 2009 in the spreadsheet I'm doing all of this with (by county - that's a different source). But when dealing with weekly data, the seasonal pattern is a pretty big deal, so I don't think annual data are all that helpful. [To be a bit more precise, I'm using the numbers for the first two months of 2020 as my baseline, adjusted by a seasonal pattern that's derived from 2019 data.]

I'm intentionally not saying what the cause of those 20,000 deaths was (the CDC reports cause of death along some broad categories, but 20+% of the natural deaths reported here for 2020 don't have a specific "cause" associated with them; that's also true of 2019, by the way). My best guess is that most of them were due to COVID and/or COVID-related complications but were not reported as such.
   4797. Zonk WARRIORS ALONE! Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:28 PM (#5955335)
Trump's pose in front of the church will probably shore up his base of older evangelicals (people less likely to vote thanks to COVID), but looked silly to the rest of us. Lefties, however, are annoyed at the very idea that Trump even tried to make himself look good, screeching about "tear gas!" and other nonsense. Geez, if it were up to lefties, not only would Trump be un-elected, he would be strung up. (I'd settle for the first, if there were actually someone to replace him with.)

Here's the problem - either you're using a strawman to shadowbox, or, you've actually just REALLY missed the point honestly.

The photo op was fluff. The precursor "dominating the battlespace", militarization, and ultimately - tear gassing the protesters who weren't breaking any laws is the point; hell, if they'd waited 20 minutes, they could have at least claimed the protesters were defying curfew, not that doing provides much more than a thin veneer but I suppose it's a shred.

People saw it live. People saw it from a multitude of angles. People saw it from US and International media filming and reporting as it happened.

The militarized, heavy-handed, and unnecessary overreaction is the problem. The postscript is just farce. The former makes me angry; the latter, I've come to expect. The latter is transient. The former leads to really bad places.
   4798. Mayor Blomberg Posted: June 04, 2020 at 01:34 PM (#5955337)
if there were actually someone to replace him with.

He alone can save us, eh?
   4799. . Posted: June 04, 2020 at 02:26 PM (#5955348)

Well the first thing you criticized him about was being a traitorous agent of Russia, and that was so comically absurd that normal people pretty much tuned you out after that. Other normal people kinda, sorta tried to engage (raises hand) but here we are 3.5 years later and the same kind of hysteria has been going on virtually non-stop at this point. Which, sorry, pretty much leaves the hysterical on their own. Demanding that people make the effort to "understand" after all this time is kind of ridiculous. We do understand -- you're still hysterical and still perpetually outraged.(*) You've been that way non-stop for four years.

(*) Still making hysterical insinuations/claims like that clearing a few protestors out with tear gas is like Tienanmen Square. We "understood" that one, too -- it makes you sound drunk and on crack.
   4800. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: June 04, 2020 at 02:35 PM (#5955350)
The CDC's median estimate for excess deaths in the US for the week ending May 23 is -3000. Seems a bit low... (especially since their current estimate of COVID deaths for that week is 3500+, and also likely to rise.) their current estimate for the prior week is over 7000 and likely to rise a little bit.
Page 48 of 65 pages ‹ First  < 46 47 48 49 50 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.