Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Empty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird

So, with the very likely possibility that baseball and basketball — at minimum — will be played to empty stadiums, it begs the question: Will it be as fun?

And before you answer, think about it for a second. No crowd noise. No intensity that builds for the home team or against the away team. Yes, the scoreboard will tell the tale, but the pressure is cranked up when you have a building full of crazy fans screaming their lungs out.

I get that it’s a business and that the money’s at the ML level, but considering crowds, distance from population centers, and the pleasures of relaxed fandom, I’ve been thinking that we might just run some mLs instead.

Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM | 8859 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, fans, stadiums

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 69 of 89 pages ‹ First  < 67 68 69 70 71 >  Last ›
   6801. SoSH U at work Posted: July 10, 2020 at 09:28 PM (#5962213)
It didn't take long to get from the 60,000 cases to the 70,000 threshold.
   6802. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 10, 2020 at 09:32 PM (#5962214)
Texas, Arizona and South Carolina have all seen their death tolls rise by more than 100 percent in the past four weeks, according to an analysis of state and county health data by The Washington Post. Four more states — Mississippi, Tennessee, California and Louisiana — have seen at least a 10 percent jump in that time span.
“They’re starting to tick up,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “Deaths are a lagging indicator, so we always expected that if they were going to go up, it would take some time.”
President Trump’s favorite possible remedy — the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine, which he has taken as a prophylactic and called a “game changer” — is being resurrected, although the Food and Drug Administration revoked its approval last month after safety warnings about potential cardiac problems.
White House trade adviser Peter Navarro has been leading a Trump administration effort to demand that the FDA renew its emergency authorization for the controversial drug.
“It feels like Groundhog Day. They’re repeating same thing. And that’s because there’s only so many denial tactics you can employ,” said Jha, of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “The federal government is just AWOL.”

After months of decline, America’s coronavirus death rate begins to rise
   6803. Hank Gillette Posted: July 10, 2020 at 10:21 PM (#5962217)
Interesting post. At least the "laws of economics" portion needs some refinement, I think, at least to reflect that flows of money are directed by individual and corporate interests. Salaries are not driven by difficulty but by the availability of money -- hockey is hard, success at women's basketball is not proportionally easier to the extent salary differences would imply; US women's soccer likely is harder to succeed at then men's soccer -- so the salaries reflect where people spend their own and their corporate dollars.
I meant it in the sense that scarcity of supply and rising demand raises prices. Top music stars also make huge amounts of money, but only if there is a demand for that musician’s music.

Similarly, baseball is currently (pre-COVID-19) taking in huge revenues. Because of that, and the crumbling of the reserve clause, owners have bid up the price of the top talent.

I don’t doubt that top woman’s soccer players are also very rare, but where is the demand that would supply the revenue?

It is (I believe) much easier to hire an average cancer researcher than an average ML baseball player. Again, I am speculating, but I think we might be surprised at how much money a “superstar” cancer researcher earns, and if someone was to find a real cure for cancer, it would be a ticket to mint money.

I’m not an economist, among the many other things that I am not. I probably should have said something like the “principles” of economics, rather than the “laws”. I am sorry for not being clear about what I meant.
   6804. tshipman Posted: July 10, 2020 at 10:33 PM (#5962218)
A lot yet to be seen on what the proper time lag estimate is. If somehow two weeks were still the appropriate time series, then deaths may stop at the 2K level. If it is closer to 4 weeks, we will probably set new daily death records in three to four weeks.
   6805. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 10, 2020 at 10:34 PM (#5962219)
It is (I believe) much easier to hire an average cancer researcher than an average ML baseball player. Again, I am speculating, but I think we might be surprised at how much money a “superstar” cancer researcher earns, and if someone was to find a real cure for cancer, it would be a ticket to mint money.
just like that guy who invented the mcnugget.
   6806. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:07 PM (#5962222)
Davis had survived childhood cancer and had risk factors for covid-19, including an autoimmune disorder and obesity. But despite her heightened risk, her parents allowed her on June 10 to attend a party at their church, the First Assembly of God in Fort Myers, Florida. Dubbed the “Release Party,” the event was pitched by the church as a night of “games, awesome giveaways, free food, a DJ and music, and the start of our new sermon series,” according to screenshots of the event’s Facebook page. The church, according to the Miami Herald, had remained closed for months, despite the fact that the state had not ordered churches to shut their doors, and only re-opened after Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s order that allowed restaurants, bars, gyms, and other indoor facilities to re-open. As the Miami Herald noted, many of the state’s residents took their cues from their governor. The state didn’t require people to wear masks, and so the young people at the church event didn’t wear masks, according to the Herald. (Just this week, the Fort Myers city council voted down a mask mandate.)

It is undetermined, but likely, that Davis contracted covid-19 at the church party. And the actions of her parents that followed after Davis attended the party have raised some alarm bells. According to the medical examiner’s report and as reported by the Washington Post, Carsyn’s parents, who both work in the medical field (her mother is a registered nurse and her stepfather is a physician’s assistant), gave her the antibiotic azithromycin as a preventative, and then when she began getting sick, hydroxychloroquine, a discredited treatment that continues to be touted by Donald Trump.
Carole Davis—who is, again, a registered nurse—also believed that children don’t need to wear masks, sharing links on Facebook to a website that urged schools not to require students to wear masks

link
   6807. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:20 PM (#5962223)
Trump tells Hannity that he "very recently" "aced" a cognitive test: "I took it at Walter Reed, a medical center, in front of doctors, and they were very surprised" pic.twitter.com/CavfF4BdKB

— John Whitehouse (@existentialfish) July 10, 2020

correct me if i'm wrong, but when doctors are surprised by a patient's test results...that's not ever a good thing, right?

I took it at Walter Reed Medical Center in front of doctors and they were very surprised. They said, ‘That’s an unbelievable thing. Rarely does anyone do what you just did.’”

6808. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:28 PM (#5962224)
Well apparently in the medicine community, negative means good. Which makes absolutely no sense. In the real world community, you- that would be chaos.
   6809. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:34 PM (#5962225)
the surprise and the unbelievable thing are, I suppose, more credible than that he aced it.

Walter Reed, a medical center,

Neither the old theater chain, nor the professor at Emory, apparently; thanks for qualifying.
   6810. base ball chick Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:35 PM (#5962226)
Houston hospitals are increasingly turning away new patients as coronavirus overwhelms emergency roomsThe busiest hospitals in Houston are increasingly telling emergency responders they cannot safely accept new patients

- this mah friends, is kind of the sort of understatement massive max deluxe

we gonna turn into nyc of march/april. stupid STUPID people and the anti mask horsepoopoo in the name of - don't even ask me what. they don't have enough ambulances going around to pick up all the sick people, who are NOT the ones who were protesting
   6811. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:45 PM (#5962227)
from march 19th:
Mary Harris: I’m sitting in New York and I feel like you are my future.

Greta Privitera: I’m you in 10 days, maybe two weeks. A week ago, I knew people who knew people who were sick. Now, I know people who died. You can see ambulances all the time in Bergamo, a city near Milan—it’s been hit hard by the coronavirus. They had to stop the ambulance sirens because those people were freaking out.

6812. base ball chick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:03 AM (#5962229)
and people thought i was exaggerating when i talk about the hospitals sending people home to die there. now they aren't even getting them in the first place. you wouldn't bleeve the numbers of cops and firefighters and EMTs who are either positive or quarantined. they gonna need to rebuild that set up hospital they rigged up over at NRG/astrodome that everyone threw eggs at lina hidalgo (county judge who made the decision) about when they didn't need it in march/april
   6813. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:06 AM (#5962230)
6810/6811/6812 - the insanity is that we are basically seeing it all happen in real time. Since the beginning of this thing... I read articles about previous pandemics, crazy behavior that occurred, the results.... and it all happens again right in front of me.

In late May, I read about the re-opening causing even more drastic economic devastation, and now I'm seeing it happen. Cases out of control. The right keeps saying "no deaths!" Science telling me "wait three or four weeks."

Now I'll wait three or four weeks. And then it will come true.

6814. base ball chick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:12 AM (#5962231)
barry
sorry about your daddy. i pray he comes out of this ok
   6815. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:20 AM (#5962232)
thanks bbc. good luck to you and yours.
   6816. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:34 AM (#5962233)
You want mind-booggingly stupid? Arizona.

https://tucson.com/news/state-and-regional/startling-rate-of-new-coronavirus-infections-puts-arizona-on-defensive/article_4aa46be6-317c-50f9-bbab-f2b6984d271e.html

The result is that 25% of tests are coming back positive, versus less than 7% before Ducey eased the restrictions.

That’s nearly 3,700 new infections this past week for every million Arizona residents.

The New York Times, looking at its own data set, puts the figure at closer to 3,300. But even at that, the rate of new infections here, computed at a rate of per million residents, is higher not just than any state in the country but any other country in the world, the Times says in its analysis.

That conclusion is “misleading and inaccurate,” said Patrick Ptak, a spokesman for Gov. Doug Ducey. And part of that, Ptak said, is that Arizona is doing so much more testing than other countries.

State health director Cara Christ says the good news is that the rate of positive tests has stabilized.

“And, also, the rate of growth is slowing,” Christ said.

Christ said she expects to start seeing results from the governor’s more recent actions — the mask permission and the closure of certain businesses — “probably by the end of next week.” In the meantime, the health director said she will continue to emphasize her message that “you really are safer at home.”

If people decide to go out, she said, they need to “assess their risks,” looking at the number of people to whom they are going to be exposed, how close they will be to those people and for what period of time.

And if that doesn’t bring down the numbers?

Christ said the most effective move would be to once again disallow dine-in services at restaurants “where you know that people are going to be sitting for longer periods of time in an enclosed area, potentially close to other people.”

They're at ############# 25% positivity and spinning it.

WTF MAN.

6817. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:37 AM (#5962234)
Houston hospitals are increasingly turning away new patients

Glad I went for Schatzki ring re-inflation in the fall.

everyone threw eggs at lina hidalgo

blaming her for "wasting money" when the federal gov't paid the vast majority of it but she's a grrrrrl and an immygrunt and young so how dare she have have this job.

the insanity is that we are basically seeing it all happen in real time.

except for the people -- even on this site -- who do anything from deny the deaths are happening to insisting that there's no reason not to reopen because our (or is it only everybody else's?) role in life is to serve the GDP.

6818. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:40 AM (#5962235)

Yes, but if Christ says so who are we sinners to disagree? Apparently the new dispensation is Christ kills for your sins.
   6819. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:42 AM (#5962236)
“And, also, the rate of growth is slowing,” Christ said.
to be fair, a lot of people around early april were saying this exact same thing in this thread (well, in the previous one).

6820. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:45 AM (#5962237)
This week, authorities charged a Florida father and his three sons, all members of the infamous “Church of Bleach”, with conspiracy to defraud the U.S. and distribute mislabeled drugs after they billed a toxic household cleaning product as a cure for covid-19.
“They sold this dangerous product under the guise of Genesis II Church of Health and Healing (‘Genesis’), an entity they allegedly created in an attempt to avoid government regulation of MMS,” according to the filing.
“The FDA has received reports of people requiring hospitalizations, developing life-threatening conditions, and dying after drinking MMS,” the filing said.
As obvious a scam as this all may seem, the FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have had their hands full the last few months convincing people that ingesting household disinfectants is far from a good idea. Back in April, President Donald Trump bolstered these bogus claims when he floated the idea of injecting disinfectant or “a very powerful light” into coronavirus patients as a potential treatment during a press conference
death cult.
   6821. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 01:27 AM (#5962249)
CDC's School Reopening plan,

While it is mostly a compilation of C.D.C. documents already posted online, it includes reopening plans drafted by states, districts and individual schools and universities. And the package, from the Community Interventions and Critical Populations Task Force, is pointed.
In a “talking points” section, the material is critical of “noticeable gaps” in reopening plans reviewed from Florida, Oregon, Oklahoma and Minnesota.

Wait, some states have (partial) actual plans?
Genius move to issue the guidelines a month before school opens. How long could it take to set up new, properly equipped school spaces, and hire thousands of accredited teachers? One week? Two weeks??

By Wednesday, Ms. DeVos had publicly chastised a public school district in Fairfax County, Va., for offering parents a choice of in-person classes two days a week or fully online instruction. The department and the president said they were exploring options for using federal funding as leverage to force full reopening.

why are there never bears on the school campus at the same time she is?
   6822. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 02:30 AM (#5962260)
Having read the CDC guidelines, I think back to my high school, Brooklyn Tech, and its 6,000 or so students in one mammoth building. Given the subjects, the specialized classes, the already four-lunch-periods-a-day, and the use of elevators as well as stairs to move students, I can't imagine how that's safely reopened. And, no, I can't imagine getting the sort of education they provided from home.
   6823. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 02:48 AM (#5962261)
It cannot be stated with certainty whether SARS-CoV-2 will continue to circulate during the upcoming influenza season, although the possibility appears likely based on current experience. If this happens, some people likely will be coinfected with both viruses, based on understanding of respiratory viruses’ epidemiology. While data are insufficient to determine if a coinfection with influenza and SARS-CoV-2 will result in more severe disease than one virus alone, preliminary experience from China suggests this could be the case.

Another concern regarding the upcoming influenza season recently was raised by investigators from Beijing, China and the University of Nottingham, U.K. (PNAS.https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/06/23/1921186117). The authors describe a swine influenza strain (G4 EA H1N1) that contains a reassortment of genes from animals and humans, including several genes from the 2009 pandemic influenza H1N1 virus. Surveillance of symptomatic pigs has shown a marked increase in detection of this G4 genotype. The virus grows rapidly in human respiratory epithelial cells and is transmitted by aerosol among experimental animals. Among swine workers, pre-existing influenza immunity did not provide protection. Serologic studies showed that 10% of exposed workers had been infected by this new strain. All this indicates the new virus has adapted to humans and has the potential to become a human pandemic strain.

link
   6824. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:48 AM (#5962264)
Some interesting polling from a combination of organisations on UK attitudes to mask-wearing (contrasted with other nations as well). Doesn't seem to distinguish between wearing a mask for indoor public spaces and wearing a mask outdoors, though, which I would consider a major point of interest.
   6825. Tony S Posted: July 11, 2020 at 08:41 AM (#5962276)
Barry, best of luck to your parents. Hope they're among the ones who pull through unscathed.

WTF MAN.

The Japanese people thought they were still winning in July 1945.

By Wednesday, Ms. DeVos had publicly chastised a public school district in Fairfax County, Va., for offering parents a choice of in-person classes two days a week or fully online instruction. The department and the president said they were exploring options for using federal funding as leverage to force full reopening.

People of her ideology are all about local control of schools. Until they aren't.

6826. Tony S Posted: July 11, 2020 at 08:50 AM (#5962277)
except for the people -- even on this site -- who do anything from deny the deaths are happening to insisting that there's no reason not to reopen because our (or is it only everybody else's?) role in life is to serve the GDP.

I first read that acronym slightly differently, but it fits just as well. :)
   6827. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 11, 2020 at 09:03 AM (#5962278)
Carsyn’s parents, who both work in the medical field (her mother is a registered nurse and her stepfather is a physician’s assistant), gave her the antibiotic azithromycin as a preventative,

Two more outstanding alums of Hollywood Upstairs Medical College!
Can't imagine why antibiotics are so overused in this country when (alleged) MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS think that they'll knock out viruses.
   6828. Tony S Posted: July 11, 2020 at 09:11 AM (#5962279)
The disinformation campaign from certain "news" sources is killing people.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not,’” Appleby said.

I wonder where this unfortunate patient got that idea. Total head-scratcher.

Death cult, indeed.
   6829. Brian White Posted: July 11, 2020 at 10:42 AM (#5962281)
Can't imagine why antibiotics are so overused in this country when (alleged) MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS think that they'll knock out viruses.

The idea probably came from some early reports that the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin were beneficial in Covid-19 patients. Azithromycin has shown hints of antiviral properties against other viruses (e.g. Zika), although the current state of scientific knowledge about how azithromycin fights viruses is best summarized as, "lol, IDK". I don't believe the initial reports of azithromycin treatment for coronavirus has held up in more extensive trials, so the parents' idea was kinda stupid, but not outrageously stupid.
   6830. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM (#5962292)
But the real question is whether or not AZM has shown efficacy against hoaxes.
   6831. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:00 PM (#5962293)

As far as English behavior -- apparently the Scots are more careful -- this photo from SoHo after BoJo called for reopening shows no situation I'd want to be in.
   6832. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:06 PM (#5962294)
if someone was to find a real cure for cancer, it would be a ticket to mint money.

One would hope it would be someone like Jonas Salk, who refused to patent the polio vaccine, despite the fact that Forbes calculated the monetary value at $7 billion.

6833. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:27 PM (#5962297)
Mr. Abbott, a Republican, predicted in a televised interview that “things will get worse” and said that he might take steps even more drastic than a statewide face-mask requirement that has angered members of his party.

Well, that's, ummm, contemplation or the possibility of considering the forced necessity of doing something that might be spun as leadership.
But at least we can be confident that things will get worse. Thanks Ironsides.
   6834. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM (#5962299)

TEXAS UNDERCOUNTS

Unlike other states, Texas does not publicly report probable coronavirus deaths, which means patients who have died without testing positive for COVID-19 could go uncounted. More Houston residents are also dying at home before they can make it to a hospital. That means the death toll is likely higher than the state’s official count.
   6835. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:54 PM (#5962300)
But at least we can be confident that things will get worse. Thanks Ironsides.

So...when someone says things are getting worse, you complain. And when someone says things will get better, you complain. (Maybe you just like complaining? Maybe you think complaining will make you look smart or something...?)
   6836. tshipman Posted: July 11, 2020 at 12:57 PM (#5962301)
So...when someone says things are getting worse, you complain. And when someone says things will get better, you complain. (Maybe you just like complaining? Maybe you think complaining will make you look smart or something...?)

If Mr. Abbott believes that things will get worse, he should take action to prevent it. Instead, he appears to be afraid of political backlash, and *waiting* for things to get worse than they already are to take the kind of public health measures that were effective elsewhere.

This is not leadership.
   6837. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 01:15 PM (#5962304)
So, ahhhh, who complained because things are getting better?

Oh, right, Tucker Carlson reports the Jeannie Pirro said that Laura Ingram told her that she heard from Stephen Miller that .... Echoes from the fever swamps.

Meanwhile, Worldometer's final Texas tally for Friday: 104 deaths (leads the nation) and 10,063 new cases. That's with at least Harris County closing test sites early because of heat. That's also with the built-in under-counting of deaths without prior diagnosis. Huzza for Abbott's leadership keeping TX atop the pile.
   6838. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2020 at 02:21 PM (#5962316)
The NY Times editorial board has been reading my commentary here:

Reopening Schools Will Be a Huge Undertaking. It Must Be Done.
   6839. tshipman Posted: July 11, 2020 at 02:29 PM (#5962319)
Schools do need to re-open. For children and for parents. But it has to be safe.

The path the Trump admin is pursuing, of just mandating re-opening without having any thought given to it, is not the way.

There are ways to do this more safely, but it requires planning, thought and money. We are already running out of time to get this right, so the continued dawdling isn't helping things.

I am reminded of the conversation in April, which was all beard stroking about how we are going to start to re-open. Stop skipping steps to the results, and focus on the process of ensuring safety for children.
   6840. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 03:07 PM (#5962320)
Padma Lakshmi @PadmaLakshmi
TW: Incredibly racist language

This is Blake Neff, the head writer for @TuckerCarlson's show who was forced to resign today after years of posting vile racist comments under a pseudonym "CharlesXII" (a nod to a celibate king of Sweden) and cyber-stalking women.

Neff worked at @foxnews for nearly four years & was @TuckerCarlson's top writer.
- @CNN

In a recent interview in @DartmouthMag, Neff said "Anything [Carlson is] reading off the teleprompter, the first draft was written by me."

When asked on @TheFive about the writing process for his show, @TuckerCarlson said he spends hours working on scripts, but referred to Neff by name, saying he was a "wonderful writer" and acknowledging his assistance.
- @CNN

So when we talk about systemic, govt endorsed racism and propaganda from the top down: this is what we’re talking about.

This is not an issue of people being “too sensitive” or “PC”- this is blatant hatred & white supremacy reinforced nightly by @TuckerCarlson on @foxnews

Just this week he commented on a thread with the subject line, "Would u let a JET BLACK congo n****er do lasik eye surgery on u for 50% off?" this: "I wouldn't get LASIK from an Asian for free, so no." (text censored here, but wasn't censored in forum)
   6841. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2020 at 03:27 PM (#5962323)
tshipman, 6839: absolutely agree.
   6842. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2020 at 03:33 PM (#5962324)
However, I'll note that the re-opening seems to have gone fairly well in parts of the country and world where huge masses of people aren't brazenly flouting health recommendations.
   6843. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 03:43 PM (#5962325)
I am reminded of the conversation in April, which was all beard stroking about how we are going to start to re-open. Stop skipping steps to the results, and focus on the process of ensuring safety for children.
but ALL lives matter. ALL LIVES MATTER*

*except for the ones that must be sacrificed to the economy. and the ones that are ritualistically snuffed out by the government with the use of increasingly questionable chemical concoctions that could be used for the medicinal treatment of covid, but are instead being horded by state governments that are "led" by ron desantis.
   6844. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 03:52 PM (#5962327)
Exactly, Fish. Trump listed places where schools are opening. They tend to average fewer cases per million than the US has deaths per million. Here in TX, I wish the same right of local that the Trumpets would confer on rural regions were extended to populous areas.

I'm afraid that with little more than a month left, we're out of time. 3.5 mm teachers and if we want to open and distance we may need, what, a third more teachers Certified in their areas? Where are they? If you want to increase available spaces, they have to be acquired, outfitted, verified reasonable childproof, and you have to be able toe bring in meals and get out trash. If you're going to significantly increase spaces in use and up your cleaning game, you need significantly more maintenance staff. You also may well need significantly more transportation staff, and how will you replicate technologies needed in classes?

Sorry to poop on the parade, but I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of what is needed because I'm not in K-12, nor do I have kids. The time to plan this was March and April, but everyone was busy declaring then that the virus would leave for vaycay by sometime in May and not return until after conclusion of the D-I regular season.
   6845. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:18 PM (#5962330)
However, I'll note that the re-opening seems to have gone fairly well in parts of the country and world where huge masses of people aren't brazenly flouting health recommendations.

Here in Middlesex county in Ontario (population ~500,000, most of which reside in London (~450,000)), the current active case count is 8. We've had 633 total cases, and 57 deaths (almost all of them in the senior homes, as 46 are for people 70+ years old). We were in full lockdown mode from mid-March until early June (as was most of Ontario), and we're currently in "Stage 2" of opening up.

If this trend continues (and I'm always hopeful that it could, as the area has added only 4 new cases for all of July) there is a non-zero chance of having a normal school system in September. The usage for masks isn't as high as I'd want to see in indoor locations (I'd say 50% at most), but there is hope for a return to normalcy at this point.

6846. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:21 PM (#5962331)
6844 - Yes, it's going to be a debacle.

I don't feel terrible about my 8-year old daughter, who can read large books by herself, has friends that she can text with, and is generally pretty good at self-directed learning. I do feel bad for my 5-year old son, who would be starting kindergarten, and is really ready for it. It's what he needs now, from both a social and an academic standpoint. Online kindergarten would be a farce.
   6847. Ron J Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:26 PM (#5962333)
#6845 I'm in Ottawa. Masks became mandatory indoors this week. Not so much from numbers (2 new cases, 0 deaths Friday) as visual evidence that people weren't being cautious enough.

We're highly like to be able to open schools. My sister is a teacher with a severely compromised immune system and won't be going back.
   6848. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:27 PM (#5962334)
The usage for masks isn't as high as I'd want to see in indoor locations (I'd say 50% at most), but there is hope for a return to normalcy at this point.

I'm not expecting normalcy, anywhere. Normalcy is what Arizona tried.

The bug will come back to Middlesex, Ontario. I suspect the people there won't proudly reduce their mask compliance to prove their Cowboy Strength in response to it.
   6849. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:34 PM (#5962335)
Sorry to hear that about your son, Fish. I don't know what conditions are in your district, but perhaps they can manage to rotate kids in and out. Is kindergarten all-day? It was a half-day affair in NYC for me back in the pliestocene.

I wonder, too, how much better this would have been handled if so many state governments and large parts for the federal government hadn't been pursuing a decades-long hate-fest with public education.
   6850. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 04:58 PM (#5962336)
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops
Maryland announces 9 out of 185 players and staff tested positive for COVID-19 during screening on July 7-8. They have temporarily suspended voluntary, individual training for the football program.
   6851. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 05:06 PM (#5962337)
PAC 12 joins B1oG in conference-only season. ACC, Big 12 SEC to decide in the next couple weeks. SEC commish now very concerned for the season.

If the ACC goes to conference only, ND's season is effectively over. They lost the USC and UWisc games; this would cost them Wake, Pitt, Duke, Clemson, Tech, and Louisville.
   6852. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 11, 2020 at 05:39 PM (#5962338)
If the ACC goes to conference only, ND's season is effectively over.

Awwwwww. It would be a shame if all NBC had to air was Blue v Gold scrimmages.
   6853. Howie Menckel Posted: July 11, 2020 at 05:50 PM (#5962339)
the ACC has already said it will provide ND enough opponents for a full schedule.
   6854. Adam Starblind Posted: July 11, 2020 at 06:07 PM (#5962341)
Online kindergarten would be a farce..

We just did three months of it. It was a farce.
   6855. Hank Gillette Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:37 PM (#5962348)
One would hope it would be someone like Jonas Salk, who refused to patent the polio vaccine, despite the fact that Forbes calculated the monetary value at $7 billion.
Salk was a true humanitarian. Albert Sabin did not patent his oral vaccine either. I’m not sure if that was his desire, or if he knew he would look like a dick after Salk. The two men were bitter enemies.

The March of Dimes paid for the mass distribution of the Salk vaccine. I think the government paid for the mass distribution of the Sabin vaccine. I remember we got in in our elementary school and didn’t have to pay anything.

One of the men who first isolated insulin refused to put his name on the patent and his two colleagues sold the patent to the University of Toronto for $1. It didn’t help much, as least long term.
   6856. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:40 PM (#5962349)
   6857. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:42 PM (#5962350)
The March of Dimes paid for the mass distribution of the Salk vaccine. I think the government paid for the mass distribution of the Sabin vaccine. I remember we got in in our elementary school and didn’t have to pay anything.

Neither did anyone who'd gotten the Salk vaccine.
   6858. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:47 PM (#5962352)

The totally unsurprising irony is that prior to the outbreak of Covid-19, crackpots like Betsy DeVos were the loudest proponents of home schooling in the entire planet.
   6859. Hank Gillette Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:49 PM (#5962353)

I did say that the March of Dimes paid for it.

My brother and I got the Salk vaccine at our family doctor’s office. I don’t know if our parents had to pay for an office visit or not. Despite it being free, a lot of children apparently did not get the Salk vaccine; hence the massive effort to get all children vaccinated through the schools.
   6860. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:50 PM (#5962354)
And in unsurprising other news....

After the fastest recession in U.S. history, the economic recovery may be fizzling

United Airlines announced plans to lay off more than one-third of its 95,000 workers. Brooks Brothers, which first opened for business in 1818, filed for bankruptcy. And Bed Bath and Beyond said it will close 200 stores.

Welcome to the recovery.

If there were still hopes of a “V-shaped” comeback from the novel coronavirus shutdown, this past week should have put an end to them. The pandemic shock, which economists once assumed would be only a temporary business interruption, appears instead to be settling into a traditional, self-perpetuating recession.

When states and cities began closing most businesses in March, the idea was to smother the virus and buy time for the medical system to adapt. Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and a senior White House adviser, spoke of hopes “that by July the country’s really rocking again.”

But without a uniform federal strategy, many governors rushed to reopen their economies before bringing the virus under control. Now states such as Florida, California, Texas and Arizona are setting daily records for coronavirus cases and more than 70 percent of the country has either paused or reversed reopening plans, according to Goldman Sachs.

After two surprisingly strong months, the economy could begin shedding jobs again this month and in August, Morgan Stanley warned Friday. Many small businesses that received forgivable government loans have exhausted their funds while some larger companies are starting to thin their payrolls in preparation for a longer-than-expected downturn.

Fresh labor market weakness would represent a profound disappointment for millions of American workers and President Trump, who is eager to highlight economic progress with only a few months remaining before the November election.

“ ‘Stalling’ is the word I’m using,” said Jim O’Sullivan, chief U.S. macro strategist for TD Ameritrade. “But the risk there is that the numbers start turning negative again.” ...
   6861. Hank Gillette Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:53 PM (#5962355)
Ron DeSantis is STILL waiting for his apology.

Where is that hospital ship? It sounds as though Florida could use it.

I hate to keep harping on this, but the U.S. response has been so totally fücked up, and now they are ensuring that things are only going to get worse. They can keep lying that things are under control, but they are not, and some of the states that thought they could get away without shutting down are paying the price.
   6862. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:54 PM (#5962356)

I did say that the March of Dimes paid for it,

You did, but I just wanted to reinforce the point that the coverage was 100%. I'm only praying that our elected officials will ensure that once a CV-19 vaccine is proven to be 100% safe and effective, it'll be universally distributed at no cost to anyone. This is no time to add an extra layer of uncertainty to the equation.
   6863. PreservedFish Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:56 PM (#5962357)
Trump wore a mask!
   6864. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 07:57 PM (#5962358)
I hate to keep harping on this, but the U.S. response has been so totally fücked up, and now they are ensuring that things are only going to get worse. They can keep lying that things are under control, but they are not, and some of the states that thought they could get away without shutting down are paying the price.

It all leads back to the Buck Passer-in-Chief, and the idiots who continue to enable him. Christ, now we've even got to worry that the FDA might re-approve Hydroxychloroquine just because Trump keeps jawboning about it. He's truly leading a death cult.
   6865. base ball chick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 08:33 PM (#5962361)
if cv-19 vaccine is freer, that means that illegals might could try to get it and we can't have THAT. also, remember that Those Icky Negroes and Those Icky Browns are dying at a much higher rate than nice clean Whites. oh dear, not sure how the Those Icky Asians are doing

and yes we do need to re-open skools again because there aren't real too many kidz who are good at teaching themselves online. the twins informed us that if they were passing classes when the skoolz closed, that if they were passing all their classes then that no matter what else their grades looked like - meaning all zeros, they would pass the year anyhow and so they refused to do any schoolwork and they graduated just like all the A+ go getters

the teens all WANT to go back to skool and be with their friends and have Fun. trouble is - how do you deal with them after they get home from skool seeing as how they sneer at germs but transmit them anyway

6866. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 08:33 PM (#5962362)
I'd thought about making that point about DeVos, Andy, but my limited knowledge and her example suggest it's mainly an out for racists and Christianists.
   6867. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 08:52 PM (#5962364)
It all leads back to the Buck Passer-in-Chief, and the idiots who continue to enable him. Christ, now we've even got to worry that the FDA might re-approve Hydroxychloroquine just because Trump keeps jawboning about it. He's truly leading a death cult.
i'm happy to see this is gaining steam (not least because it's accurate), but keep in mind that trump did not create this republican death cult, and it's not going to go away just because he'll commit suicide in a south florida jail cell 1 year, 5 months and 26 days from now.

gordon liddy broke into the watergate hotel, lied about it to the FBI and now he's selling blood diamonds on fox news.
oliver north sold weapons to iran, and now he's hosting prime time television shows...on fox news.
bill burr resigned in disgrace during the george bush administration and he's still the attorney general 30 years later.

unless these people get buried (literally and/or figuratively), they will come back like weeds whenever someone else shows up to call them back into service.
   6868. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 09:18 PM (#5962365)
I'll say, too, that the NCAA and Power 5 Conference presidents are doing an excellent job of making the case that players deserve pay.
   6869. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 11, 2020 at 10:19 PM (#5962370)
"palm springs" is an excellent movie, with an acceptable amount of goat killing.
   6870. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 10:27 PM (#5962372)

i'm happy to see this is gaining steam (not least because it's accurate), but keep in mind that trump did not create this republican death cult, and it's not going to go away just because he'll commit suicide in a south florida jail cell 1 year, 5 months and 26 days from now.

gordon liddy broke into the watergate hotel, lied about it to the FBI and now he's selling blood diamonds on fox news.
oliver north sold weapons to iran, and now he's hosting prime time television shows...on fox news.
bill burr resigned in disgrace during the george bush administration and he's still the attorney general 30 years later.

unless these people get buried (literally and/or figuratively), they will come back like weeds whenever someone else shows up to call them back into service.

Trump didn't create the GOP's long slide to insanity that's gone from Joe McCarthy to Goldwater to Limbaugh to Gingrich to the Tea Party to Trump and many points in between, but no other figure in 2016 could have been capable of assembling the sort of semi-fascist / phony populist coalition that he did. And although Trumpism under one name or other will probably be around as long as there are resentful whites, I can't see any other figure on the horizon who's capable of duplicating his strange type of kavorka. For one thing, no other potential replacement has the jump start of a long running reality TV show.
   6871. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 10:32 PM (#5962373)
I'd thought about making that point about DeVos [and home schooling], Andy, but my limited knowledge and her example suggest it's mainly an out for racists and Christianists.

It's true that the Big Bee in DeVos's bonnet has been private and charter schools, but what she shares with the home schooling crowd has been an absolute hostility to public education that's shaped in any manner or form by teachers, especially those in teachers' unions. DeVos is to public education what Bill Barr is to equal justice under law.
   6872. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 10:36 PM (#5962374)
what we talk about when we talk about opening rural counties

In rural far West Texas, it seemed for months like the remote region may be spared a COVID-19 outbreak. But total cases in Brewster County, on the border with Mexico, have skyrocketed recently, from one as of mid-June to 146 now. Brewster has the eleventh-highest rate of reported cases per capita of Texas’ 254 counties. “We thought we were safe and kind of isolated,” says Jim Luecke, a family physician in neighboring Jeff Davis County, who sees patients at Big Bend Regional Medical Center in Alpine, Brewster’s county seat. “Then, boom.”
The rural hospital is the only one in a three-county area of more than 12,000 square miles. It has 25 beds and two ventilators; the closest ICU is 140 miles northeast in Odessa. Generally COVID-19 patients in Alpine are rushed to larger hospitals in Odessa or El Paso, Luecke says; the two- or three-hour drive from one facility to the next makes keeping a patient in Alpine until their condition turns critical a risky endeavor. “Most of the time we’ll try to stabilize in the ER and send ’em off if they’re sick,” he says.
But hospitals in West Texas are also reaching capacity and facing serious staff shortages as providers fall ill. Odessa’s Medical Center Hospital, where at least three Alpine residents with COVID-19 have been transferred for care, stopped accepting patients from outside Ector County, where the hospital is located

The Ector County Judge is suing the Governor over the mask mandate. Ector is where a bar illegally reopened with armed "patriot" protection.
But Ector's County Judge looks like a County Judge, old and white an ornery, not young, attractive, articulate, and Latina like Lina Hidalgo in Harris County. Mymymy is she ever closed to county hospitals to outsiders.

Point is, if you reopen schools -- or, as Howie wants, casinos -- in rural counties, you got bupkis to handle an outbreak.
   6873. I am going to be Frank Posted: July 11, 2020 at 10:58 PM (#5962376)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Covid parties are a thing.

We're doomed.
   6874. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 11, 2020 at 11:21 PM (#5962377)
No, the 17 yo in FL, discussed above, went to a church party, the Alabama legislature discussed covid parties in that state ... or was it MS ... never can keep them straight other than in football season.

Actually, the GOP is the COVID Party.
   6875. base ball chick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 11:28 PM (#5962378)
in texas there's some rural counties without ANY hospital. texas is YUGE. and they think that they're bettern everyone else cuz they rural and that none of them city diseases can git em and besides, they can just shoot the virus. not that it exists
   6876. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 12, 2020 at 03:37 AM (#5962382)
The coronavirus was first detected in Florida on March 1. According to the New York Times, on March 15, the day Walt Disney World closed to guests, Florida had 39 new coronavirus cases, bringing the state’s total number of cases to 109. Although no new deaths were reported on March 15, there had been a total of three coronavirus deaths in the state at the time. On Saturday, according to the Orlando Sentinel, there were 10,360 new coronavirus cases and 95 new deaths statewide, bringing the total number of cases to 254,511 and the total number of deaths to 4,197. In Osceola and Orange Counties, where Walt Disney World Resort is located, there were 685 new cases and two new deaths on Saturday, for a total of 20,491 cases.

this is fine.

6877. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: July 12, 2020 at 05:45 AM (#5962383)
So, ahhhh, who complained because things are getting better?

Ahhhh, you have, on numerous occasions. So have your buddies on this board, who are terrified things will get better before the election.

You'd gladly trade countless lives of deplorables (hell, they don't deserve to live anyway!) if it'll get Orange Man out of the White House. Admit it.
   6878. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 12, 2020 at 07:08 AM (#5962386)
Speaking of everyone's favorite state....

In Texas Beach City, Out-of-Towners Drove In an Outbreak

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — As recently as early June, days went by with hardly anyone testing positive for the coronavirus. A single case one day. Three the next. Then zero. Zero. Zero.

Word spread that Corpus Christi, always a popular beachfront vacation spot for Texans from around the state, was a safe place to go. They didn’t even require masks indoors. It was an oasis from the virus.

“People in San Antonio, in Houston, Austin, even Dallas, knew that we had low caseload,” said Peter Zanoni, the city manager. “It was a nice getaway from the rules, the regulations, the doom and gloom.”

It turned out that no place was safe.

Now the city of 325,000 has one of the fastest-growing outbreaks in Texas, a state where new records for positive cases were set for four straight days last week, with nearly 11,000 recorded on Thursday. Corpus Christi has seen more cases per capita than Houston and a rapidly mounting death toll: of the 38 deaths recorded from the pandemic, 30 have come in July, including a baby less than 6 months old. ...

The reason for the rapid spread in Corpus Christi is not certain. Data gathered from cellphones indicated that movement around the city returned to pre-pandemic levels by early June, especially at restaurants. “When I saw that, I knew it wasn’t a good sign,” Dr. Bird said.

Many pointed at the visitors from big cities.

“I think they should stay home,” said Jasmine Rodriguez, 24, a security guard at a La Michoacana grocery store. “There should be checkpoints and a mandatory stay-in-your-city.”

But some locals said they had no one but themselves to blame. People went to bars. They partied. They did not social distance or wear masks. The city did not require masks in most retail stores until last week, days before a statewide order.

“It’s us. Yeah, it’s us,” said Marilyn McCaleb, 62, speaking through a flower-print mask as she went grocery shopping at a local H-E-B store. “They don’t wear their masks — maybe they do now, because they have to.” ...

Yeah, yeah, but what's really important is that for more than two glorious months, Corpus Christie had FREEDOM!
   6879. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 12, 2020 at 07:41 AM (#5962389)
You'd gladly trade countless lives of deplorables (hell, they don't deserve to live anyway!) if it'll get Orange Man out of the White House. Admit it.
is your brain broken?
   6880. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 12, 2020 at 08:06 AM (#5962390)
is your brain broken?

RMc- some permutation of Roger Maynard?
   6881. PreservedFish Posted: July 12, 2020 at 08:35 AM (#5962394)
Literally thousands of comments here lamenting the second wave of coronavirus in America, but RMc can see through the smokescreen and knows that we're all actually happy about it.
   6882. Cleveland (need new name) fan Posted: July 12, 2020 at 09:38 AM (#5962399)
Literally thousands of comments here lamenting the second wave of coronavirus in America, but RMc can see through the smokescreen and knows that we're all actually happy about it.

Saying that Trump and the Republican governors shouldn't be taking a victory lap for defeating the virus at this point is just the same as complaining that things are getting better. That is just logic.
   6883. Adam Starblind Posted: July 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM (#5962405)
6875. base ball chick Posted: July 11, 2020 at 11:28 PM (#5962378)
in texas there's some rural counties without ANY hospital. texas is YUGE. and they think that they're bettern everyone else cuz they rural and that none of them city diseases can git em and besides, they can just shoot the virus. not that it exists

You're funny Lisa. Really enjoy the pizzazz with which you can string a sentence together. :-)
   6884. Zonk. Person. Man. Camera. TV. Posted: July 12, 2020 at 11:35 AM (#5962408)
Bash RMC all you want, but at least somebody never forgets who the real victim in all this is....
   6885. Random Transaction Generator Posted: July 12, 2020 at 11:50 AM (#5962409)

You've got it backwards. People want Trump out of the White House to SAVE countless lives of "deplorables" (as you called them).

In Ontario, the Conservative premier won the election with less than 40% of the popular vote (multiple left-leaning parties split the vote). He was derided by many for his harsh fiscal cuts (including health care) and his anti-environmental stance. Before the pandemic, polls showed him well behind the Liberal party, even though the Liberals didn't have a leader yet.

When the coronavirus hit, he took the advice of his scientific advisors and put the province into lockdown. Every step of the way, he's been doing the right things for the province to get through the pandemic. People on both sides of the political divide have praised him for it, and public polls in June show him with a 14 point lead on the Liberals.

If Donald Trump had shown ANY willingness to follow the advice of scientific and medical advisors, had shown any leadership by example (social distancing, mask usage), or had shown any compassion to those that have suffered during this crisis, he's probably cake-walking his way to a re-election.
   6886. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: July 12, 2020 at 12:41 PM (#5962411)

It's this strange recurring thing where some people hold normal American citizens to higher standards than they do the sitting US president.

Trump cannot be blamed for the virus itself, but I don't know how anyone can argue in good faith that his behavior in recent months has conveyed any sense that he cares about Americans dying. Certainly not outside of how that might affect the economy.
   6887. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 12, 2020 at 12:54 PM (#5962413)
Trump cannot be blamed for the virus itself, but I don't know how anyone can argue in good faith that his behavior in recent months has conveyed any sense that he cares about Americans dying. Certainly not outside of how that might affect the economy his reelection.

There you go.
   6888. Ron J Posted: July 12, 2020 at 12:54 PM (#5962414)
#6885 Indeed Doug Ford is very much on point. He hasn't suddenly become a cuddly bundle of fun. He's as full of rage as he's ever been. Just directing that rage in a more or less productive way. Like publicly demanding why various regions aren't hitting testing targets. Or naming the profiteers. (He's had some success in getting the worst abuses walked back)

And since he's the undisputed leader of the populists in Ontario the "free Ontario" moments have struggled to gain traction. Any attempt to intimidate his health advisors and he'd be there in person. Yelling back. (Helps that he genuinely speaks their language)

6889. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 12, 2020 at 01:03 PM (#5962415)
15,300 new cases today in FL.

Welcome to DisneyWorld!
   6890. base ball chick Posted: July 12, 2020 at 01:23 PM (#5962417)
. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 12, 2020 at 07:08 AM (#5962386)
Speaking of everyone's favorite state....

In Texas Beach City, Out-of-Towners Drove In an Outbreak

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — As recently as early June, days went by with hardly anyone testing positive for the coronavirus. A single case one day. Three the next. Then zero. Zero. Zero.

Word spread that Corpus Christi, always a popular beachfront vacation spot for Texans from around the state, was a safe place to go.

- kind of reminds me of stories about the plague where people from the city went into the countryside (if they could) to escape, but surprise surprise they don't brung it right along with them

- my only surprise is that it took folks so long to mosey on over to corpus

Yeah, yeah, but what's really important is that for more than two glorious months, Corpus Christie had FREEDOM!

- kind of like to have sex with lots of people without condoms and then whaddaya know a whole bunch of people get all kinds of diseases which maybe you can fix with a shot and maybe you can't
   6891. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 12, 2020 at 01:29 PM (#5962418)
sex with lots of people without condoms and then whaddaya know a whole bunch of people get all kinds of diseases

that's not a hoax?
   6892. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 12, 2020 at 01:40 PM (#5962419)
You're funny Lisa. Really enjoy the pizzazz with which you can string a sentence together. :-)

I only wish we could talk Lisa into coming over to Discord, which is fast devolving into humorless pedantic duels among the same 3 or 4 people who usually agree on 90% of what they're arguing about, but who love to run that 10% disagreement into the ground.
   6893. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 12, 2020 at 02:38 PM (#5962424)
With a sales pitch like that, I can’t see why she (or anyone else) would stay away.
   6894. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 12, 2020 at 03:39 PM (#5962431)
I was appealing to her sense of duty, and she could definitely liven up the place.
   6895. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 12, 2020 at 04:35 PM (#5962433)
Jeff Davis County

Dear me suds.

6896. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 12, 2020 at 05:07 PM (#5962434)
Personally I prefer Deaf Smith for Texan county names.
   6897. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 12, 2020 at 05:18 PM (#5962435)
Just remember to pronounce Deaf such that it rhymes with "beef" and not "chef".
   6898. puck Posted: July 12, 2020 at 05:26 PM (#5962436)
In case Covid19 didn't suck enough, it seems there are more and more reports that people can be infected more than once?

I've seen articles where Docs report patients who had it, tested negative and felt better, then got sick again weeks later and were sicker.
   6899. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 12, 2020 at 05:46 PM (#5962437)
Thanks Pat, I had no idea. I may need to check with you before venturing out once that's safe again. Still learning to speak Houston street names in my third decade.

I've seen articles where Docs report patients who had it, tested negative and felt better, then got sick again weeks later and were sicker.

Earlier in the week there was discussion here of possible need for quarterly inoculations.
   6900. Lassus Posted: July 12, 2020 at 05:58 PM (#5962438)
Even with the global accumulation of knowledge amidst the selfish monkeys both living everyday lives and also in charge of everything going exactly according to plan, I still feel like there would be a LOT more reports of this.
Page 69 of 89 pages ‹ First  < 67 68 69 70 71 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8859 - 12:21am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogRules for pitcher feats in 7-inning twin bills
(15 - 11:27pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogOakland Athletics OF Ramon Laureano charges Houston Astros dugout, sparks brawl
(13 - 11:13pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogYankees' Aaron Boone argues with umpires about air horn being blown outside Phillies' ballpark
(1 - 11:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOff the glove and over the fence! Texas Rangers’ Nick Solak homers in unique fashion.
(7 - 10:05pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER! for August 8-9, 2010
(45 - 9:23pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(343 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: kcgard2

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(10 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(43 - 9:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogBA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall
(7 - 9:07pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(6 - 9:03pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(17 - 8:44pm, Aug 09)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogWhy MLB didn't use bubble plan for 2020 regular season; and what league insiders think of the decision
(7 - 8:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogChris Iannetta retires after Yankees send catcher to alternate site
(4 - 6:00pm, Aug 09)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(86 - 5:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.9270 seconds
48 querie(s) executed