Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Empty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird

So, with the very likely possibility that baseball and basketball — at minimum — will be played to empty stadiums, it begs the question: Will it be as fun?

And before you answer, think about it for a second. No crowd noise. No intensity that builds for the home team or against the away team. Yes, the scoreboard will tell the tale, but the pressure is cranked up when you have a building full of crazy fans screaming their lungs out.

I get that it’s a business and that the money’s at the ML level, but considering crowds, distance from population centers, and the pleasures of relaxed fandom, I’ve been thinking that we might just run some mLs instead.

Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM | 10152 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, fans, stadiums

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 99 of 102 pages ‹ First  < 97 98 99 100 101 >  Last ›
   9801. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 01, 2020 at 10:32 AM (#5980171)
Bump
   9802. Lassus Posted: October 01, 2020 at 10:33 AM (#5980172)
flip

Great article, bunyon -
   9803. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 01, 2020 at 11:11 AM (#5980188)

Yes, I agree, I came here to post the same article that bunyon did.
   9804. Lassus Posted: October 01, 2020 at 11:44 AM (#5980196)
BUT NOT ANSWER ME? -sob-
   9805. BDC Posted: October 01, 2020 at 12:00 PM (#5980198)
Yes, that Atlantic article is fascinating. That is exactly why I decided not to go to the World Series. I haven't been in a group larger than 15 or so (my writing and literature classes, in large classrooms, masked, sitting far apart) since March. And so far, so good. Now does not seem like the time to mingle indoors with 11,000 of my closest friends.
   9806. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 01, 2020 at 12:25 PM (#5980200)
Who knew the "Keep BDC Cool" campaign would backfire so?
   9807. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 01, 2020 at 01:06 PM (#5980215)
BUT NOT ANSWER ME? -sob-

Hah, sorry I completely missed your post from the prior page.

I was there for about a month in the summer of '93 or '94, coming up from Westchester County. We were 13-14 years old and it was a pretty intensive class (it was a CTY program if you're familiar with those) so our free time and ability to leave campus was pretty limited. I'm sure some kids did sneak into town more often, but I was not particularly adventurous or rule-breaking at that age.
   9808. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 01, 2020 at 01:37 PM (#5980234)

Yes, that Atlantic article is fascinating. That is exactly why I decided not to go to the World Series. I haven't been in a group larger than 15 or so (my writing and literature classes, in large classrooms, masked, sitting far apart) since March. And so far, so good. Now does not seem like the time to mingle indoors with 11,000 of my closest friends.

Congratulations! You won the World Series! Now your entire team has COVID! HOORAY!
   9809. Lassus Posted: October 01, 2020 at 02:16 PM (#5980250)
I was there for about a month in the summer of '93 or '94, coming up from Westchester County. We were 13-14 years old and it was a pretty intensive class (it was a CTY program if you're familiar with those) so our free time and ability to leave campus was pretty limited. I'm sure some kids did sneak into town more often, but I was not particularly adventurous or rule-breaking at that age.

I doubt I would have either, although maybe. Hard to say.

I think I asked more because I was wondering if you would have found the whole experience to be a weird back-country affair. Although Westchester does have its rural charms, they are quite fewer and farther between. I think I was also imagining you as closer to 17 for such a program, so the question may be a bit moot.

You only missed the divestment protests by seven or eight years!
   9810. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:06 AM (#5980462)
Is it wrong of me to Hope that Hope is super spreader?

Is it wrong of me not to care if it is wrong of me?

9811. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:27 AM (#5980470)
@Srul ... we could talk about "Christmas stuff and decorations"!

=)
   9812. Ron J Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:07 AM (#5980480)
9810. The Guardian is reporting that Trump tested positive for Covid. So did Melania.
   9813. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:10 AM (#5980482)
There's always a tweet

Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!
   9814. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:21 AM (#5980484)
may he recover as effectively as herman cain.
   9815. Srul Itza At Home Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:25 AM (#5980485)
Quick, inject him with clorox
   9816. BrianBrianson Posted: October 02, 2020 at 03:32 AM (#5980491)
Not to be too morbid, for someone in Trump's age, health, access to healthcare status, the chance he dies has be somewhere between one and ten percent, right?
   9817. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:32 AM (#5980492)
Not to be too morbid, for someone in Trump's age, health, access to healthcare status, the chance he dies has be somewhere between one and ten percent, right?

Unfortunately the chance he dies is probably significantly lower than the chance he continues on campaigning after three days of quarantine. He'll say some stupid #### over the weekend to get a new news cycle and by Tuesday he'll be back in front of a crowd in Wisconsin.
   9818. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 07:12 AM (#5980493)
I think I asked more because I was wondering if you would have found the whole experience to be a weird back-country affair. Although Westchester does have its rural charms, they are quite fewer and farther between.

Got it. I honestly didn’t develop much of an impression of the surrounding area.
   9819. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 07:22 AM (#5980497)
CFR for the 70-79 age group in Florida is probably around 8%; if I had to guess the IFR is probably more like 4-6%, assuming they miss 25-50% of cases in that age group. As a relatively healthy 74 year-old, Trump’s risk is probably a bit lower than that, but you never know with this disease. (Men also seem to have greater risk than women.)

I don’t have the numbers in front of me for the 50-59 age group but for a 50-year-old woman, the risk is probably something like 0.5-1.5%.
   9820. bunyon Posted: October 02, 2020 at 08:59 AM (#5980501)
His risk of hospitalization is higher than that, though. If he starts showing symptoms, there is a good chance this lingers close to the election.

I know we're not supposed to talk politics but, for something that was eminently predictable, this is a hell of an October surprise. I've seen reasonable takes that this sinks him and that it propels him to victory.

I do wonder if he's been taking hydroxychloroquine. Would be nice to finally put that to bed (with the slice of Americana who still buy it).
   9821. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:43 AM (#5980511)
I do wonder if he's been taking hydroxychloroquine. Would be nice to finally put that to bed (with the slice of Americana who still buy it).

No chance. Already heard Fox News blathering about whether the Pres should start Remdesivir and plasma treatments, followed quickly with taking hydro again. To his credit interviewee Ronny Jackson did caution against immediately bombarding Trump with garbage remedies, although that was followed with, of course he'll be ready for the next debate, he just needs two negative tests, those will of course come soon.
   9822. baxter Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:44 AM (#5980513)
Why assume the information is true?
   9823. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:47 AM (#5980515)
the orange clown lies about literally everything. this is another lie.
   9824. BrianBrianson Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:51 AM (#5980516)
I think if we can keep the partisan posturing down, and the discussion on topic of COVID, it's not so bad. Boris Johnson and Bolsonaro both had COVID. It seems like Johnson's approach was strongly affect. I don't follow Brazilian politics much, but a colleague of mine who's Brazilian says it didn't really change, he powered through, stayed the course, at least for the most part.

Of course, Trump is older than both, and tubbier, at least, than Bolansaro, so he might go worse. Everything from "Trump is fine in a week" to "Trump is dead in a week" is, I think, at least plausible, even if the most likely outcome is perhaps towards the middle. How it plays politically, probably depends a lot on how it goes, and how he handles it.
   9825. SoSH U at work Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:54 AM (#5980518)
It really makes you wonder. If a guy who takes absolutely no precautions and routinely gathers indoors with a large number of people who aren't taking any precautions can catch this thing, well, how safe are any of us?

Oh, that's right, much safer.
   9826. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:58 AM (#5980519)
Trump's lies are self-serving and made with bravado, and he hates showing weakness. This very much does not seem to fit well with his pattern of lying. While Trump's lies have carried him a long way, they are not particularly well thought out, devious, or sophisticated, or, really, even the least bit believable. If this is a lie, its brainchild is not Trump.

The only reason to have any doubt is that Trump is simply a pathological liar.

In other news, probably over 300,000 excess deaths this year so far now. I have it estimated as 310,000 through the end of this week. That means more than 1 in 1000 by the end of October. Early signs for the week ending 9/26 are not good at all, showing the most deaths yet for the leading week since mid-July. Couple caveats--the most recent week's data is the least reliable, and the weekly baseline has moved up since we are now approaching winter (about 1200 more per week already than it was at the lowpoint, the first week of August). Adjust for the second factor, and it's still basically tied for the highest since late July. My guess is that it will turn out to be not as bad as all that, but it would be no surprise if we have started a third wave now. Even if true, reported deaths are sure to be down this week and likely next week as well, before possibly rising again.
   9827. Tony S Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:58 AM (#5980520)
It is what it is.
   9828. Lassus Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5980521)
The default response to any conspiracy - such as the one that Trump doesn't have COVID - should always be disbelief. Always. Every time.

Conspiracies are how we got Q.
   9829. SoSH U at work Posted: October 02, 2020 at 10:04 AM (#5980522)
The default response to any conspiracy - such as the one that Trump doesn't have COVID - should always be disbelief. Always. Every time.

That's my feeling.
   9830. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 10:06 AM (#5980523)
Agree with 9828. I believe he has it.

The only reason I can think of for him to lie about having COVID would be if he actually wanted to avoid the remaining debates. But I don’t think that is likely.
   9831. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 10:54 AM (#5980531)
Wednesday, September 30
White House staff are regularly tested for the coronavirus, and White House counselor Hope Hicks tested negative on the morning of September 30, but developed symptoms during the day, according to CBS News. Hicks then tested positive on the evening of September 30, and yet Trump still traveled to a closed fundraiser after learning that news.

Thursday, October 1
After ten minutes of the president rambling, Hannity mentioned the breaking news about Hope Hicks testing positive. Curiously, Trump spoke very quickly and said he didn’t know whether he should self-quarantine, even going so far as to admit that he might have contracted the disease.

“So, she did test positive. I just heard about this, she tested positive,” Trump told Hannity. “She’s a hard worker. A lot of masks, she wears masks a lot, but she tested positive and I just went out with a test, I’ll see what... you know, because we spend a lot of time... and the first lady just went out with a test, so... So whether we quarantine or whether we have it, I don’t know."

Friday, October 2
Fox News, Trump’s favorite news outlet, announced the president’s diagnosis while showing a handful of photos of Trump wearing a mask. Fox also showed footage of Trump and Hope Hicks on Marine One, the helicopter that’s most commonly used to transport the president from the White House to the airport, though that appeared to be file footage from a couple of weeks ago.

9832. Zonk Would Do Not Much Different Posted: October 02, 2020 at 11:29 AM (#5980534)
I'll save most of my snark and political hot takes for exile island...

But - I cannot help but wonder. The WH did not announce Hope Hicks testing positive, they were forced to confirm it after multiple reporters were publishing stories. The timeline does not look good.

I tend to agree that Trump isn't in the best shape/position to recover, but - he'll obviously get the best care possibly available, which certainly helps a lot.

Beyond that, and sorry if this is morbid, but it's true: A silver lining might be that it helps the country recognize the pandemic hasn't gone away, won't disappear like a miracle, and everyone should take the matter and general slope of US problems managing it more seriously.
   9833. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 11:35 AM (#5980535)
At the very least, it’s a reminder that “just let all the young people get sick and keep the old people safe” isn’t a viable strategy. Or at least, it has not proven to be one in the US.

If young people get it, they will infect others.
   9834. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:36 PM (#5980542)
His risk of hospitalization is higher than that, though. If he starts showing symptoms, there is a good chance this lingers close to the election.

Latest update: Mild symptoms

The White House said today that President Donald Trump was suffering “mild symptoms” of COVID-19, making the stunning announcement after he returned from an afternoon fundraiser without telling the crowd he had been exposed to an aide with the disease that has killed a million people worldwide.

ETA: Inject that man with Clorox and sunshine, STAT
   9835. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:40 PM (#5980543)
I've seen reasonable takes that this ... propels him to victory.

Lay that one on me.

I mean, if he succumbs, and people feel safer voter for Pence, that is a type of victory.

What else do you have?
   9836. base ball chick Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:40 PM (#5980544)
9828. Lassus Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5980521)

- good morning gentlemen (and any lurking ladies)

the problem is, that when you are dealing with a pathological liar, you can't believe ANYTHING they say. it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that he made it up in order to show how COVID is really nothingburger and how tough he is. now he MIGHT could truly have it, but unless he's on a ventilator, i wouldn't take his word for it
   9837. Lassus Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:45 PM (#5980547)
Well, OK. But there are a lot more people involved here than my uncle Bob telling me he has the 'rona so would I give him $100.
   9838. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:51 PM (#5980548)
The real conspiracy will come when people start claiming that he is completely out of it, and Melania or Pence or Mnuchin are running the show.

The thing about him having mild symptoms immediately reminds me of the joke about the guy who calls home at the start of a long trip to find out how things are, and the first thing his brother tells him is "Your cat died". The guy says, Jeez, you shouldn't dump that on me all at once. You should break it to me slowly, first you tell me the cat's on the roof and you can't get her down. Tomorrow you say the cat fell and she's in a coma. The next day you can tell me the cat died."

The brother apologizes profusely. Then the man says, "It's ok. Don't worry about it. How's mom?"

The brother responds, "Mom's on the roof and we can't get her down."
   9839. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 12:58 PM (#5980550)

the problem is, that when you are dealing with a pathological liar, you can't believe ANYTHING they say. it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that he made it up in order to show how COVID is really nothingburger and how tough he is. now he MIGHT could truly have it, but unless he's on a ventilator, i wouldn't take his word for it

Trump lies, but in specific ways. He'd never lie and say he was contemplating a sex-change operation. He'd never lie and say that he cried while watching "It's a Wonderful Life." He doesn't lie in ways that don't stroke his ego.
   9840. baxter Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:11 PM (#5980554)
9828, 9830, 9839

I think it is a factual statement that the president is not an accurate historian.

Does anyone disagree with that?

Beyond that, I am not going to speculate or psychoanalyze through a keyboard (or any way else for that matter).

9841. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:11 PM (#5980555)
Yeah, I think the fatal flaw in the "he's lying" theory -- which was my first reaction as well -- is that, to the extent it is premised on the convenience of him being able to avoid additional debates, it requires him to acknowledge that he performed badly during the debate.
   9842. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:30 PM (#5980567)

The other problem with the "he's faking it" theory is that his administration leaks like a sieve. Heck, Trump himself will probably brag about it to Bob Woodward, on tape, in a few weeks if he's indeed faking it.
   9843. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 01:47 PM (#5980573)
This is a decent litmus test for how full of worms your brain is, on October 2, 2020. The person on earth most responsible for the proliferation of the deeply insane and in many cases deadly belief that the coronavirus is a hoax cooked up by desperate liberals announced to the public Thursday night that he has contracted the coronavirus, is sick with it, and will be forced to quarantine, in the late stages of a re-election campaign. Do you find that you require further context? Are you grinding your gears to anticipate the social and political consequences of this announcement, trying to peer several steps down the line at how Trump’s flabby McFlavored body might handle this infection, measuring and assessing the political fallout of the corresponding logistical response from the Biden campaign, in order to resolve the matter of whether or not to believe what you have been told? If so, you have a very severe infestation of brain worms. Welcome to the club.

9844. base ball chick Posted: October 02, 2020 at 02:00 PM (#5980577)
btw

thanx for posting that article from the atlantic (last page)

we still have no idea why some people who are high risk have no symptoms when they are positive, or why some people are superspreaders, or why some people in a family never catch it at all when everyone else has it

it does really seem that wearing masks is the main thing to prevent infection
   9845. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 02:30 PM (#5980584)
From Politico:

Sen. Mike Lee announced Friday he had tested positive for the coronavirus and will quarantine for 10 days.

The Utah Republican is an integral member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is considering the Supreme Court nomination of Amy Coney Barrett. Lee was at her announcement on Saturday at the White House and met with Barrett on Tuesday. He also spoke to reporters after his meeting with Barrett and attended committee meetings and party lunches.

Lee said he began experiencing symptoms similar to allergies on Thursday, but sought medical advice and was tested for the virus. He found out he was positive on Thursday.

The other shoe just keeps dropping.
   9846. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: October 02, 2020 at 02:40 PM (#5980588)
Barrett supposedly already had the virus much earlier this year. If she's the vector, we are all in deep trouble.
   9847. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 02, 2020 at 02:48 PM (#5980591)
Yeah, I think the fatal flaw in the "he's lying" theory -- which was my first reaction as well -- is that, to the extent it is premised on the convenience of him being able to avoid additional debates, it requires him to acknowledge that he performed badly during the debate.

I can’t rule out a fake. It could be a desperation move, having not moved the needle because of the first debate, let’s suck up the oxygen and garner some sympathy votes. The man was only successful as a reality show host — hence a reality show gimmick is not out of the question.
   9848. bunyon Posted: October 02, 2020 at 02:50 PM (#5980594)

I mean, if he succumbs, and people feel safer voter for Pence, that is a type of victory.

What else do you have?

Runs sort of along: He gets sick, gets sympathy, issues a heartfelt mea culpa, a bunch of (redacted so as not to get too political) who want to vote for him but have been turned off lately feel okay voting for him. There is also the, he's going to die and it will be Pence, so I'll vote for him. Then he recovers.

I'm not saying it will happen, just that, in chaos, stuff happens.
   9849. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 03:02 PM (#5980599)
issues a heartfelt mea culpa

Wouldn't he need a heart for that? Or at least the ability to make it look like he has one?

9850. Lassus Posted: October 02, 2020 at 03:04 PM (#5980601)
I think it is a factual statement that the president is not an accurate historian.
Does anyone disagree with that?

I disagree that he marched out of his office and said, as a historian, "I HAVE COVID-19. BECAUSE I SAID SO."
   9851. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 02, 2020 at 03:05 PM (#5980602)
I do believe he has covid. But his lifetime of pathological lying makes you question whether anything is true or just another lie. He reaps what he sows, as he learned in his favorite book.

We would be told "mild symptoms" even if he was on death's door.

9852. Lassus Posted: October 02, 2020 at 03:08 PM (#5980603)
I'm perfectly happy to disbelieve "mild symptoms" - although no one has noted anything odd about his Hannity interview at 9 PM last night - but that's fine as it's massively vague anyhow.
   9853. BrianBrianson Posted: October 02, 2020 at 03:24 PM (#5980611)
it does really seem that wearing masks is the main thing to prevent infection

Well, keep distance from people, use soap, stay outside or in well ventilated areas.

I'd rather be maskless at a cabin four hours outside of Abitibi than masked on the Paris Métro.
   9854. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:02 PM (#5980653)
Trump has COVID-19, is ‘fatigued,’ given experimental drugs

WASHINGTON >> The White House said today that President Donald Trump remains “fatigued” after contracting COVID-19 and has been injected with an experimental antibody cocktail for the virus that has killed more than 205,000 Americans and spread to the highest reaches of the U.S. government.

The president’s physician said in a memo late today that Trump received a dose of an experimental antibody cocktail by Regeneron that is in clinical trials. Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley said Trump “remains fatigued but in good spirits” and that a team of experts was evaluating both the president and first lady in regard to next steps.

Drip, drip, drip . . .
   9855. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:04 PM (#5980657)
There will be breathless coverage in the coming days about Trump’s health and which officials and oligarchs he may have passed the virus to, but we shouldn’t lose sight of the real story: The Trump administration has created the exact conditions that made it possible for the president to get the virus. It has ignored science and subjected Americans to suffering as a result. His contracting the virus is an exclamation point on the fact that we need both science and compassion to push through not just the pandemic, but also the coming decades of climate crisis.

There’s a symmetry to Trump contracting the virus as the West Coast burns at a record-setting pace. Just as public health experts have warned that ignoring mask and other guidance could put people at risk, so, too, have climate scientists warned that continuing to pollute the atmosphere could lead to more catastrophic fires. If there is one thing that has become strikingly clear this year, it’s that undertaking risky behavior scientists have warned against will result in catastrophic outcomes.

9856. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:15 PM (#5980665)
Republican Utah Sen. Mike Lee and the Rev. John Jenkins, the president of the University of Notre Dame, said Friday that they have tested positive for COVID-19, making them the third and fourth people present at a Saturday White House nomination-announcement event for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett to have disclosed such a diagnosis. (The first two were Donald and Melania Trump.)
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame football team announced that at least 18 of its players had contracted the coronavirus in an outbreak believed to have been spread in part by an infected player vomiting on the sideline during a game.

9857. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:20 PM (#5980666)
The president’s physician said in a memo late today that Trump received a dose of an experimental antibody cocktail
can I mix one, pleeeez?

The good news is that cruise ships begin sailing at the end of the month, as President Hoax overruled the CDC. I suppose the first positives won't come back 'til after the election
   9858. . Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:29 PM (#5980673)
He's going to Walter Reed for at least "the next few days." He very well might be in bad shape and he might not come out of this.(*) Which means even more national chaos ahead.

I can't see how it's possibly good news that they've committed to a few days at Reed this early.

(*) After all he's 74 and ... umm ... corpulent. The virus typically is unkind to that combination.

9859. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:31 PM (#5980675)
Now that their beloved leader has been hit by the virus, how would Fox News react? By 9 a.m. Friday, after watching Fox & Friends, I had my answer: By pandering to the president, incessantly referencing hydroxychloroquine, and somehow still finding a way to make the story about Joe Biden, the Democrats, and the sickos in the liberal media.
At the top of the 7 a.m. hour, Doocy recapped the headlines for viewers who were just tuning in, and reiterated that “we do not know at almost 7 Eastern time whether or not Joe Biden has been told that the president tested positive for COVID. You know, the president and first lady sent out tweets in the 1 a.m. hour, and Joe Biden has famously said out on the campaign trail that he doesn’t get up until 8 in the morning. So, it’s interesting.” (It was not!)
“I want the President of the United States to take a break. Take a break, for goodness’ sake,” said Rivera. “We want you to get better. We don’t want you holding, you know, little pocket campaign rallies. I think the American people would look at that askance.” It was good, sound advice—so of course Kilmeade disagreed with it.

Geraldo, you’ve got it wrong,” Kilmeade said, creating a little angel/devil dichotomy jockeying for position in Trump’s eardrums. He argued that asymptomatic COVID patients—as Trump was assumed to be Friday morning—could actually “get a lot done” as long as they stayed away from people during their infection. “I think there’s no reason to isolate and not do anything if you’re OK,” Kilmeade said.

Geraldo lost it. “This disease kills old people, Brian. Period. And if you take it in a way that ‘Oh, I can handle this cause I’m a tough guy,’ then shame on you. I want him to be prudent now. Enough about, you know, ‘I have a mask in my pocket.’ Why wasn’t the mask on your face, Mr. President?”

9860. baxter Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:32 PM (#5980678)
9850 So is that a "yes"? Try answering the question, if you feel like it, you don't have to. But, please don't make something I said into something it isn't.

At least 9854 cites the "president's physician"

But, it's not Q anon, or whatever it's call. I heard a commentator the local corporate all news radio station (a CBS affiliate) ask the same thing. Now, I am not asserting that it is correct. But, I think it is a very reasonable question to ask.

You are free to believe what you want. But, it's just like these predictions of the outcomes of future ballgames, how much of your own money would you wager on it?
   9861. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 05:42 PM (#5980679)
Trump going to military hospital ‘for a few days’ as precaution, White House says

President Donald Trump will spend a “few days” at a military hospital after contracting COVID-19, the White House said today.

Trump was to depart the White House by helicopter late today for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, a White House official said. The official said the visit was precautionary and that Trump would work from the hospital’s presidential suite, which is equipped to allow him to continue his official duties

Mom's on the roof, and we can't get her down . . .
   9862. baxter Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:03 PM (#5980680)
9861 dispels my reservations. With the possibility of nosocomial infections, hospitals are bad places to be if you are sick, unless one really needs to go. I cannot imagine a reasonable scenario involving taking the president to the hospital unless is ill.

I wish him health.

9863. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:06 PM (#5980681)
I cannot imagine a reasonable scenario involving taking the president to the hospital unless is ill.

Which, of course, opens up the can of worms regarding what that sudden trip to Walter Reed last November was all about.
   9864. baxter Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:14 PM (#5980683)
9863 Yes, that does raise a concern also, given the office that Mr. Trump holds. But, it is his private health information.
   9865. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:28 PM (#5980684)
9861 dispels my reservations. With the possibility of nosocomial infections, hospitals are bad places to be if you are sick, unless one really needs to go. I cannot imagine a reasonable scenario involving taking the president to the hospital unless is ill.

I wish him health.
i empathize with your sentiment, but this world will be a better and safer place when he is dead.
   9866. Tony S Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:42 PM (#5980689)
If anything, this development has put the pandemic back front and center in the national discussion. Certain elements had been trying to brush it off and declare it over, or at least under control. That won't fly anymore.

I have a friend in Texas who's got COVID. Haven't checked on him yet today, but he was sluggish for a week, and then yesterday he said he felt almost human again. He's in his 50s, overweight, and diabetic, so I really really hope he's out of the woods.
   9867. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:42 PM (#5980691)
President Donald Trump was not tested for the coronavirus by the Cleveland Clinic prior to the first presidential debate on Tuesday night, according to moderator and Fox News anchor Chris Wallace.

During a Fox segment on Friday, Wallace said that Trump arrived too late to the Health Education Campus of Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Clinic to be tested. “For them to get tested, there wouldn’t have been enough time to have the test and have the debate at 9 that night,” he said. “They didn’t show up until 3, 4, 5 in the afternoon. Yeah, there was an honor system when it came to the people that came into the hall from the two campaigns.”

Biden and his wife, Jill, tested negative on Friday, though they need to undergo additional testing in order to confirm that they were not infected.
   9868. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:46 PM (#5980693)
it is his private health information

Which is the attitude that gave us Mrs. Wilson running the country for 18 months while Woodrow was non compos; and a President Kennedy who had to be constantly shot up due to his degenerative back condition.

The President may be entitled to privacy about various aspects of his life, but we are entitled to know if the guy with the nuclear codes, the Commander in Chief of the most powerful military machine the world has ever seen, is in proper health; and why he has to be rushed to a hospital in the middle of the day.
   9869. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:49 PM (#5980696)
Putting a draft dodger in a military hospital is pretty insulting to the brave men and women who have served in our armed forces.

9870. Srul Itza Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:50 PM (#5980697)
Drip, drip, drip

President Donald Trump has had a fever since Friday morning after testing positive for coronavirus, according to a person familiar with the matter, a stunning development that threw a country already unnerved by a devastating health catastrophe and a turbulent political season into fresh upheaval on Friday.

Trump was taken to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center Friday afternoon and will remain there for several days, the White House said. He has been administered a dose of Regeneron and remains fatigued, according to a memorandum from the his physician.

"As of this afternoon the President remains fatigued but in good spirits. He's being evaluated by a team of experts, and together we'll be making recommendations to the President and First Lady in regards to next best steps," Navy Cmdr. Dr. Sean Conley wrote.
   9871. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:54 PM (#5980698)
But, it is his private health information.

And if there's one thing the GOP believes in, it's men's rights to control their and their women's bodies.
   9872. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 06:56 PM (#5980701)
And if there's one thing the GOP believes in, it's men's rights to control their and their women's bodies.
if it ruts, it struts.
   9873. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 07:09 PM (#5980702)
Presumably further updates on the president’s health, and counsel on his choices, will come from Conley, so it’s worthwhile to ask: Who is Conley? He’s a U.S. Navy veteran who has been the official White House doctor since May 2018. He succeeds Ronny Jackson, who once declared that Trump has “good genes” and “absolutely no cognitive or mental issues whatsoever.” Jackson, who also served under Obama, would reportedly prescribe himself controlled substances and drink at work. He’s now running for Congress in Texas. (Both of these people, to be clear, are different from the doctor who in 2015 signed his name to a note dictated by Trump saying that he would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency”)

Conley’s LinkedIn says that he graduated from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

after a member of Trump’ staff tested positive for COVID-19 in May, Conley shared in a memo that he had put Trump on hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug … preventatively:
physician Sean P. Conley released a short statement note confirming the diagnosis and noting that Trump and Melania “are both well at this time.” Another memo from Conley released Friday afternoon said that the president “remains fatigued but in good spirits.” Conley also that he had received a dose of an antibody cocktail made by Regeneron, which has not been approved by the FDA, effectively making the president a test subject for the experimental drug

i'm ready to call it. this guy is a quack. bad things happen at pcom.
   9874. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 02, 2020 at 07:29 PM (#5980707)
bad things happen at pcom.

Like practices for the Process era Sixers!
   9875. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 07:31 PM (#5980708)
Like practices for the Process era Sixers!
i was actually thinking of speedy claxton's knee injury, but sure, that'd do, too.
   9876. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 02, 2020 at 09:33 PM (#5980734)
He does seem to be the first osteopath to hold the position, but he can't be any quackier than Ronnie J, if he practiced medicine like he practices campaign politics.
   9877. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 02, 2020 at 11:40 PM (#5980782)
He does seem to be the first osteopath to hold the position, but he can't be any quackier than Ronnie J, if he practiced medicine like he practices campaign politics.

he's prescribed multiple unproven, experimental drugs to his patient, like they're ####### candy. he's literally "practicing" medicine (hat tip to retired NBA all-star grant hill for that one) on the person who has the most powerful job in the world.

if that is not the definition of quackery, i don't know what is.
   9878. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: October 02, 2020 at 11:48 PM (#5980785)
The virus is a hoax they said, nothing to worry about, we can't let the fear prevent us from getting back to business as usual. Then a bunch of high ranking officials predictably got the virus while the world scoffed at the stupidity of their leadership, desperately clinging on to their minority rule as the demographics of the country shift inexorably from under their feet.

Oh wait that was Iran in early March.
   9879. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:01 AM (#5980796)
he's literally "practicing" medicine (hat tip to retired NBA all-star grant hill for that one) on the person who has the most powerful job in the world.

if that is not the definition of quackery, i don't know what is.

He may be saving said world.
   9880. Srul Itza At Home Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:32 AM (#5980797)
First fatigue, then fever, now

Earlier, a Trump adviser said that there were reasons for concern about the president's health. As per a CNN report, the adviser said that Trump was "very tired, very fatigued and having some trouble breathing."

Drip, drip, drip
   9881. baxter Posted: October 03, 2020 at 03:10 AM (#5980799)
9868 I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments, that is to say your desire to learn about the medical condition and the reasons underlying such desire.

However, we are a country of laws, not men.

You have described yourself as a lawyer, previously.

You know very well what the second sentence above means.

I would support a law compelling the disclosure of such records.

But where is it, perhaps a consequence of the 25th amendment (in the penumbra)?

9882. Tony S Posted: October 03, 2020 at 07:45 AM (#5980801)
Drip, drip, drip

Srul -- that report you linked was overall less dire than the "Earlier" excerpt you quoted. I'm as skeptical of the "everything's wonderful" reporting as anyone, but this story wasn't really a counterbalance.

(The hover-over headline is actually different than the headline in the actual story. Hmmm.)
   9883. Tony S Posted: October 03, 2020 at 07:55 AM (#5980802)
A look into why diabetics are more vulnerable to COVID.

Includes a reader comment that did not age well.
   9884. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 03, 2020 at 11:51 AM (#5980824)
another republican senator tested positive for the rona.
   9885. Srul Itza At Home Posted: October 03, 2020 at 12:50 PM (#5980840)
However, we are a country of laws, not men.

Not according to Trump and his supporters, like you, when it suits them.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Also: Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel and Trump’s campaign manager, Bill Stepien, also have tested positive for the
coronavirus

(The hover-over headline is actually different than the headline in the actual story. Hmmm.)

You act like this is unusual. Stories get updated quickly and as add-ons, while the link remains the same. "Hmmm" indicates a lack of knowledge in this area, frankly.
   9886. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: October 03, 2020 at 01:08 PM (#5980844)
Trump doctor said, in front of the press and everyone, that we are 72 hours into the diagnosis, meaning Trump was diagnosed Wednesday morning, prior to Hicks and prior to at least two events. Also means more lies by Trump all Wednesday and Thursday, and helps explain why he suddenly went to the hospital. It wasn't really that sudden.

"72 hours into the diagnosis" (Wednesday morning) does not make sense for exposure, so has to mean either symptoms showing up or positive test result.

Admittedly no one knows exactly yet what happened, but this seems as likely or more than what Trump has told us.

9887. Srul Itza At Home Posted: October 03, 2020 at 01:38 PM (#5980860)
Add Chris Christie to the list. Wasn't he involved in debate prep?
   9888. Srul Itza At Home Posted: October 03, 2020 at 01:40 PM (#5980861)
Also Cam Newton. Patriots game off. Is the NFL season unraveling? Who woulda thunk?
   9889. Srul Itza At Home Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:03 PM (#5980867)
Patriots game NOT off. Moved back a day or two (at least for now). Cam of course will not play.
   9890. ramifications of an exciting 57i66135 Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:07 PM (#5980869)
Patriots game NOT off. Moved back a day or two (at least for now). Cam of course will not play.
the chiefs also had a player test positive, so i wouldn't bet on the game happening this week just yet.
   9891. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:14 PM (#5980873)
the chiefs also had a player test positive

The Chiefs player who tested positive is practice squad QB Jordan Ta’amu, who would have had the role of being Cam Newton for defensive practices this week. Man, talk about dedication to one's craft.
   9892. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:20 PM (#5980878)
Before the season all the talk was that a positive test by, for instance, a QB, would mean the entire QB room would have to isolate for 2 weeks.

Now I guess that means you push the game back a day or two.
   9893. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 03, 2020 at 02:37 PM (#5980885)
Also means more lies by Trump all Wednesday and Thursday, and helps explain why he suddenly went to the hospital. It wasn't really that sudden.

constant nonstop lying by this administration. really their only unifying characteristic.
   9894. baxter Posted: October 03, 2020 at 03:30 PM (#5980897)
Been accused of many things in my life, supporting the present administration is not one of them.
It does not "suit me" to eschew the rule of law.

Indeed, how can I demand the administration follow it, as I do, if I do not apply it to the administration?

You cite examples of presidents Wilson and Kennedy; the republic survived them. Hopefully, it will survive the present administration.

When my ox is gored, I want the law to apply to me too.

9895. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 03, 2020 at 04:33 PM (#5980908)
https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-donald-trump-elections-campaigns-08fcfd3778ca3bbabd011307cf23dc8d

President Donald Trump went through a “very concerning” period Friday and the next 48 hours “will be critical” in his care as he battles the coronavirus at a hospital, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows said Saturday. Meadows’ comments contradicted the rosy assessment of Trump’s condition offered by his staff and doctors, who took pains not to reveal the president had received supplemental oxygen at the White House before his hospital admission.

“We’re still not on a clear path yet to a full recovery,” said a weary Meadows.

It was a dramatically different picture than the one painted by the White House staff since Trump revealed his diagnosis as well as by his doctors, who updated the public at a press conference at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

9896. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 03, 2020 at 04:47 PM (#5980911)

It is ABSOLUTELY NOT UNCOMMON for hover-overs and headlines not to agree. Not only for Newspapers, which do update quickly, but also for Magazines.

Likewise, homepage headlines are often not the dame as the click-through headline. 2020, no reason still to be surprised.
   9897. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 03, 2020 at 04:48 PM (#5980912)
Also: Has Trump been tested for NOVICHOK, Putin's go-to for fully depreciated assets?
   9898. Tony S Posted: October 03, 2020 at 04:55 PM (#5980913)
It is ABSOLUTELY NOT UNCOMMON for hover-overs and headlines not to agree. Not only for Newspapers, which do update quickly, but also for Magazines.

Sorry. Never paid really close attention to that before.

Getting back to the kremlinology, the current reports don't look promising for trump. But I just can't believe *anything* that comes out of the White House.
   9899. Mayor Blomberg Posted: October 03, 2020 at 05:27 PM (#5980916)
Tony -- I notice it because home-page or url-based headlines often turn into something aesthetically disappointing on click through The Atlantic does that a lot, e.g.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/thought-rules-applied-suckers/616605/

becomes "Trump Thought He’d Never Get it," even thought the home page goes with the url, "Trump thought the Rules Applied to Suckers."
   9900. Tony S Posted: October 03, 2020 at 05:39 PM (#5980917)
flip

Page 99 of 102 pages ‹ First  < 97 98 99 100 101 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Randy Jones
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogWORLD SERIES 2020 OMNICHATTER!
(496 - 8:52pm, Oct 25)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10152 - 8:20pm, Oct 25)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogExclusive: Ex-Astros exec Mike Elias eyed for potential MLB pension fraud in his new role as Orioles GM
(7 - 8:16pm, Oct 25)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogAlex Rodriguez says he would have increased Mets' payroll to $225 million if he'd purchased team
(20 - 6:56pm, Oct 25)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Brave New World
(436 - 5:28pm, Oct 25)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1932 Ballot
(3 - 4:53pm, Oct 25)
Last: Yardape

NewsblogA Conversation With Tom House, the “Father of Modern Pitching Mechanics”
(7 - 4:15pm, Oct 25)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogBaseball fans’ biggest problem with Rob Manfred? He doesn’t appear to be one of them
(20 - 3:48pm, Oct 25)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(4034 - 2:40pm, Oct 25)
Last: puck

NewsblogSources on what it could take to land Trevor Bauer -- and where he'll end up
(8 - 10:11pm, Oct 24)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogThe Jewish World Series
(34 - 9:29pm, Oct 24)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogOT - October 2020 College Football thread
(164 - 8:38pm, Oct 24)
Last: Meatwad

Sox TherapyMeet the 2021 Boston Red Sox - Position Players
(33 - 7:00pm, Oct 24)
Last: Darren

Sox TherapyJust Say No
(2 - 6:24pm, Oct 24)
Last: Darren

NewsblogShould a Neutral-Site World Series Become Baseball’s New Normal?
(41 - 6:16pm, Oct 24)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

Page rendered in 0.8824 seconds
48 querie(s) executed