Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Ex-MLB commissioner Fay Vincent won’t watch baseball in 2020, says game has to change

“Baseball has to change. I like the idea of seven-inning games. Shorter is better. Given the pace of the game these days, I think starting a game at 7 or 9 and have it go until 11 p.m. is ridiculous. I also am concerned that young people are less engaged in large part because of the pace. I would take the union and some owners and go to MIT or Cal Tech and come up with a game that young people are going to be excited about. Who could be played at the same time the old fashioned game is being played. Kids could be at home and play against the real game and perhaps interact with the manager in the dugout. The future of baseball cannot be the technology of wooden bats, baseballs and leather gloves that came together in the 1900s. Technology is the key to the future of entertainment.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 09, 2020 at 11:58 AM | 34 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: fay vincent

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Itchy Row Posted: September 09, 2020 at 12:24 PM (#5975329)
There's an easy solution: mini-flamethrower-equipped monkey umpires. I'll let MIT and Cal Tech have that for free.
   2. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 09, 2020 at 12:31 PM (#5975331)
There's an easy solution: mini-flamethrower-equipped monkey umpires.
That’s your answer for everything.
   3. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: September 09, 2020 at 12:31 PM (#5975332)
I guess slow and boring 7 inning games are better to watch than slow and boring 9 inning games, but do we have to give up on the idea of the games not being slow and boring?
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 09, 2020 at 12:35 PM (#5975333)
do we have to give up on the idea of the games not being slow and boring?
”Yep.” —MLBPA
“If they say so.” —R. Manfred
   5. Bug Selig Posted: September 09, 2020 at 12:53 PM (#5975336)
Old man yells at cloud.
   6. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:09 PM (#5975341)
In a related story, several reporters were seen suddenly running away from Vincent's front lawn.
   7. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:10 PM (#5975342)
Technology is the key to the future of entertainment.

"Free" gambling apps with lots of bells, whistles, buzzers, spinning lights, and cartoon characters ought to hook the kids on the fun provided by the game gaming of Baseball.
   8. Nasty Nate Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:16 PM (#5975344)
Shorter is better. Given the pace of the game these days, I think starting a game at 7 or 9 and have it go until 11 p.m. is ridiculous.
so close
   9. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:21 PM (#5975346)
Kids could be at home and play against the real game and perhaps interact with the manager in the dugout.

If this goes into effect, I hope Ozzie Guillen gets another job.
   10. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:24 PM (#5975347)
. I would take the union and some owners and go to MIT or Cal Tech and come up with a game that young people are going to be excited about.

Thus, Blernsball was invented.
   11. sunday silence (again) Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:48 PM (#5975354)
Faye Vincent why is anyone talking to him. WHat a weirdo. When he got fired he claimed he would have a good case if he took it to court but the time and effort would not be worth it or something. Someone should look up his quotation on that.
   12. Itchy Row Posted: September 09, 2020 at 01:53 PM (#5975356)
I think there was a Brockmire episode where they boosted attendance by adding Pokemon to baseball. In the show's universe, baseball was still dying by 2030.
   13. puck Posted: September 09, 2020 at 02:29 PM (#5975365)
If this goes into effect, I hope Ozzie Guillen gets another job.

All the managers will be guys like Kevin Millar and Eric Byrnes.
   14. The Duke Posted: September 09, 2020 at 02:31 PM (#5975368)
I really didn’t like 7 inning baseball when it was first proposed but unless they can find a way to shorten games in a different way, I’m ok with it. Maybe they should just say the game goes for 2.5 hours. No new inning can start after that
   15. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 09, 2020 at 02:39 PM (#5975370)
Maybe they should just say the game goes for 2.5 hours. No new inning can start after that
Visiting team scores in the top of the first, followed by an intentional walk to lead off the bottom half and 2 hours and 15 minutes of pickoff throws. Sign me up!
   16. Karl from NY Posted: September 09, 2020 at 02:43 PM (#5975374)
Am I the only one who was surprised that Vincent is still alive? I would have thought he passed away by now. I don't think I'm confusing him with Bart Giamatti. Peter Ueberroth is even still alive too. I guess I'm confusing Vincent with George Steinbrenner, or maybe Pete Rozelle.

Maybe they should just say the game goes for 2.5 hours. No new inning can start after that

You'd get a trailing team intentionally making their 3rd out quickly in order to fit another inning in.
   17. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 09, 2020 at 04:00 PM (#5975384)
More baseball, not less.
   18. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: September 09, 2020 at 04:55 PM (#5975393)
You'd get a trailing team intentionally making their 3rd out quickly in order to fit another inning in.

Yeah, baseball with time limits is awful. It's an issue in Little League that I hate dealing with; I don't want to see it in the pros.

That said, please, please fix the pace of play. I'd avoid animals with weapons, but if that's what it takes, so be it.
   19. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: September 09, 2020 at 04:56 PM (#5975394)
12 - i've only seen a few eps of that show, that was one of them.
show was really good, by the way. (this is not necessarily news.) best live action work i've ever seen from azaria.
   20. Kiko Sakata Posted: September 09, 2020 at 05:00 PM (#5975398)
I really didn’t like 7 inning baseball when it was first proposed but unless they can find a way to shorten games in a different way, I’m ok with it. Maybe they should just say the game goes for 2.5 hours. No new inning can start after that

I'm not speaking for anybody but myself, but the actual length of the game is not, and never has been, the issue. The length of the game is a reasonably useful proxy for the issue: the pace of the game. And the problem with the pace of the game is the time between pitches. Baseball is great: more baseball is better than less baseball; 10-inning games are better than 9-inning games and 9-inning games are better than 7-inning games. But standing around waiting for the next pitch is boring: it's boring in the first inning, it's boring in the sixth inning, and it's boring in the ninth inning.

And this is a weird rant by Vincent. It clearly has "old guy thinks things were better in his day" vibes, except then he starts complaining that things are too much like back in his day and we need more technology. Just an odd juxtaposition.
   21. flournoy Posted: September 09, 2020 at 06:47 PM (#5975422)
Old man yells at cloud.

In a related story, several reporters were seen suddenly running away from Vincent's front lawn.

These comments seem ludicrously off-base. He's advocating turning baseball into some sort of virtual reality simulation with kids playing at home in real time. Or something.
   22. BDC Posted: September 09, 2020 at 07:56 PM (#5975434)
You speak for me, Kiko :)
   23. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: September 10, 2020 at 12:10 AM (#5975522)
I agree with Kiko and BDC and others in other threads. I think any rule change that isn't a pitch clock (or other firm pace-related change) is a Band-Aid. Fix the time between pitches, then evaluate if something like a three-batter minimum would be a worthwhile change. And since I think a pitch clock would be the most effective and easiest method to improve the pace, implement it gradually if needed (to appease the players, who seem to be the most reluctant). If the goal is 15 seconds between pitches (or whatever number), start at 19 seconds and move it down one second each year.
   24. baxter Posted: September 10, 2020 at 01:20 AM (#5975525)
Apart batters stepping out of the box (not new; remember the Human Rain Delay), pitchers stepping off the mound, multiple pitching changes, how much is attributable to the between innings breaks for commercials?
   25. BrianBrianson Posted: September 10, 2020 at 04:24 AM (#5975528)
They wouldn't have this problem if they'd see past their prejudices and let Pitch-O-Mat 5000 into the league.
   26. KronicFatigue Posted: September 10, 2020 at 09:25 AM (#5975537)
Decrease the number of TTO in a game. Decrease the number of pitches per plate appearance. Both of these goals could be acomplished with a modification of the mound and strike zone. Putting the ball in play more often and more quickly makes the game more exciting, regardless of length.
   27. The Honorable Ardo Posted: September 10, 2020 at 02:08 PM (#5975621)
I'm surprised there hasn't been more momentum behind lowering (or outright eliminating) the mound.
   28. willcarrolldoesnotsuk Posted: September 10, 2020 at 02:21 PM (#5975625)
Something akin to this does happen once in a while, where a team that's leading in the early innings of a game that looks to be on the verge of being called for rain tries to intentionally get out so as to increase the chance of the game getting long enough that it would be official. My favorite was Alfredo Griffin's strikeout.
   29. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 10, 2020 at 03:18 PM (#5975638)
Alfredo Griffin's strikeout.

Looked like a typical Alfredo Griffin plate appearance to me.
   30. Perry Posted: September 10, 2020 at 03:47 PM (#5975647)
Decrease the number of TTO in a game.

This (along with a pitch clock). A couple of times recently in games I've been watching announcers have tracked % of pitches put into play. There was one inning with 29 pitches, 2 of which were put into play. Another with 41 and 4. No fun.
   31. Zach Posted: September 10, 2020 at 06:41 PM (#5975678)
Personally, I always ask those smart folks at MIT and Caltech when I want to <strike>come up with a game that young people are going to be excited about</strike> <strike>design an entertainment product</strike> do neither of those things.
   32. Zach Posted: September 10, 2020 at 07:09 PM (#5975679)
Before we change any headline rules, could we please try a season with a pitch clock?

The lack of action is happening because the pitchers have the ball, have the sign, and don't want to throw. Unless you make them want to throw, any changes you make will beat against the wall of an anonymous reliever who believes he'll stay in the majors longer if he waits until he's good and ready to throw the next pitch.
   33. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 10, 2020 at 10:04 PM (#5975707)
I don't know how you wave a magic wand and make it happen, but the culture of baseball needs to change to be a fast-paced game.

Women's softball is fast-paced and awesome. I want that.

34. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: September 10, 2020 at 10:49 PM (#5975711)
Personally, I always ask those smart folks at MIT and Caltech when I want to come up with a game that young people are going to be excited about design an entertainment product do neither of those things.

In any event, all they'd end up inventing is Strat-O-Matic baseball.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOT - October 2020 College Football thread
(166 - 1:03pm, Oct 31)
Last: Lance Reddick! Lance him!

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(10260 - 12:53pm, Oct 31)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogDetroit Tigers hire A.J. Hinch as new manager
(16 - 12:49pm, Oct 31)
Last: base ball chick

NewsblogAre analytics to blame for Rays’ Kevin Cash pulling Blake Snell too early from Game 6 of 2020 World Series?
(131 - 12:47pm, Oct 31)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogSteve Cohen’s Mets purchase approved by MLB and de Blasio
(9 - 12:24pm, Oct 31)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogSources: Angels to bring in at least 7 candidates for GM position
(4 - 11:38am, Oct 31)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogNBA Post-Bubble offseason thread
(233 - 3:53am, Oct 31)
Last: All Oriole Tragic heard was ruff ruff

NewsblogIndians place Brad Hand on outright waivers
(23 - 1:09am, Oct 31)
Last: Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim

NewsblogChamps! The best Dodgers team ever ends L.A.'s 32-year title drought | ESPN
(59 - 11:34pm, Oct 30)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogPotential Orioles bidders line up in hopes the Angelos family decides to sell
(4 - 10:04pm, Oct 30)
Last: JRVJ

Sox TherapyMeet the 2021 Boston Red Sox - Position Players
(37 - 8:32pm, Oct 30)
Last: Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert

NewsblogMajor League Baseball cancels owners meetings, winter meetings due to COVID-19
(2 - 6:05pm, Oct 30)
Last: JRVJ

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-30-2020
(7 - 5:26pm, Oct 30)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogWhy Tony La Russa is a sincerely curious choice for Chicago White Sox manager
(6 - 4:01pm, Oct 30)
Last: Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus

NewsblogSpokesperson: Mayor Bill de Blasio still 'evaluating' Mets sale to Steve Cohen
(37 - 3:27pm, Oct 30)
Last: Adam Starblind

Page rendered in 0.3493 seconds
48 querie(s) executed