Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Former Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel apologizes for 2017 cheating scandal

Former Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel spoke at SoxFest 2020 — the Chicago White Sox version of FanFest — on Friday and apologized for the Astros cheating scandal when he was on the team in 2017.

He also intimated that sign-stealing was widespread throughout the 2017 playoffs, pointing out that most teams’ pitchers and catchers were using multiple signs even when no runner was on base and able to see the signs from the catcher.

“When there’s nobody on base, when in the history of Major League Baseball has there been multiple signs?,” Keuchel told a group of reporters. “You can go back and watch film of every team in the playoffs, there were probably six of eight teams using multiple signs. It’s just what the state of baseball was at that point in time. Was it against the rules? Yes it was. And I personally am sorry for what’s come about the whole situation. It is what it is and we’ve got to move past that. I never thought anything would have come like it did. I, myself, am sorry, but it’s we’ve just got to move on.”

Keuchel said the Astros didn’t steal signs every game in 2017 and sometimes, even when they did, it didn’t work.

In other words, he’s sorry he got caught…..

QLE Posted: January 25, 2020 at 12:44 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, dallas keuchel, dirty rotten cheaters

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Sunday silence Posted: January 25, 2020 at 02:26 AM (#5919218)
If sign stealing is as widespread as Kuchel makes it out to be then its really hard to expect any sort of real apology. In their minds they're just doing it to stay competitive. Kuchel's equivocal statements such as "it is what it is" are much more understood given that premise.

Its interesting that he says they weren't doing it in every game, and yet he doesnt say that they never did it on the road...
   2. The Duke Posted: January 25, 2020 at 07:37 AM (#5919224)
I’m sorry everyone else was cheating and forced me to cheat. I’m sorry that mike Fiers blew the whistle on us. Everyone wishes he hadn’t done that.
   3. The George Sherrill Selection Posted: January 25, 2020 at 01:48 PM (#5919260)
And I personally am sorry for what’s come about the whole situation.

I am sorry I was caught.
   4. Tin Angel Posted: January 25, 2020 at 04:45 PM (#5919271)
I am sorry if you feel what we did was wrong.
   5. Jack Keefe Posted: January 25, 2020 at 08:02 PM (#5919288)
Yes well there is 1 thing more you cud do Dulles Kockrel you could punch your self 1 in the Nose.
   6. Booey Posted: January 25, 2020 at 10:18 PM (#5919302)
He should just go full Costanza:

"Was that wrong? Should we not have done that? I tell you, we gotta plead ignorance on this one, because if anyone had said anything to us at all about this when we first started that that sort of thing was frowned upon..."
   7. Howie Menckel Posted: January 25, 2020 at 11:20 PM (#5919309)
not sure Booey owes me a Coke, as I posted that 3-4 days ago in a different Astros thread. Cokes may accrue only within the same thread.
   8. Booey Posted: January 25, 2020 at 11:46 PM (#5919310)
Sorry Howie. Didn't see it.
   9. The Duke Posted: January 26, 2020 at 09:21 AM (#5919330)
From jack curry on Verlander:

“At NY BBWAA dinner, Verlander accepted AL Cy Young Award and noted how the Astros were “technologically and analytically advanced” as a way to praise the organization. But that phrase caused some in the audience to guffaw. Verlander waited until noise subsided before resuming“

We’ve now had four of the Astros best players basically ignore, shift blame or make fun of the scandal. If that isn’t a sign of a cultural issue on the Astros I don’t know what is.

It will be interesting to see what the 600+ other players think come next season.
   10. Dock Ellis Posted: January 26, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5919333)
apology accepted,Dallas Keuchel! You've saved baseball.
   11. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: January 26, 2020 at 10:33 AM (#5919336)

Maybe by “we” he’s referring to the former Astros players. But if by “we” he means baseball as a whole, it’s not a great apology.
   12. Jose Is Absurdly Chatty Posted: January 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM (#5919344)
It will be interesting to see what the 600+ other players think come next season.

"Thank god it was the Astros that got caught."
   13. Blastin Posted: January 26, 2020 at 12:28 PM (#5919346)
If that isn’t a sign of a cultural issue on the Astros I don’t know what is.

I think that's what they're really in trouble for. Other teams may have done some stuff, but the Astros are being punished for being ########. And getting caught doesn't make ######## not ########.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.