Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Freddie Freeman reaches agreement with Los Angeles Dodgers on six-year, $162 million deal, sources say

Freddie Freeman has agreed to terms with the Los Angeles Dodgers on a six-year, $162 million deal, sources told ESPN’s Jeff Passan and Kiley McDaniel.

Freeman, 32, reached free agency for the first time in his career after helping the Atlanta Braves win their first World Series since 1995 with a six-game triumph over the Houston Astros. During his 12th big league season, the first baseman hit .300 (eighth in the National League), with 31 homers, 83 RBIs and an NL-leading 120 runs scored.

That Freeman reached free agency was a bit of a surprise for a player long lauded as the face of the Atlanta franchise. The Braves anointed him as such, inking him to an eight-year, $135 million extension in 2014 to serve as the franchise’s cornerstone player through a rebuild.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:44 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dodgers, freddie freeman

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. shoelesjoe Posted: March 17, 2022 at 01:14 AM (#6068108)
So does Muncy move over to 2nd base full time now?
   2. Howie Menckel Posted: March 17, 2022 at 01:46 AM (#6068112)
Muncy says he prefers to play 2B anyway, iirc

with TTurner at SS, does Gavin become a Lux-ury now?
   3. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 03:52 AM (#6068113)
Don't forget the DH. Plenty of PAs as things stand.
   4. Bret Sabermatrician Posted: March 17, 2022 at 06:58 AM (#6068118)
I guess I'd take one more year of $27 million if it meant getting booed for being washed up for my last 3 years as opposed to being lauded as a hero for my last 2.
   5. Ron J Posted: March 17, 2022 at 08:27 AM (#6068119)
#3 Lux may initially slot in as a supersub -- that's how they used him last year after all. But it's going to complicate things a bit if he turns into something approach the player he was expected to be.

Good problem to have of course. Muncy ends up at DH (mostly) if that happens. And the team has some very useful flexibility.
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 17, 2022 at 08:43 AM (#6068122)
Muncy ends up at DH (mostly) if that happens.

Might be Freeman. Muncy's 1B D has been better lately, as you'd expect from someone who's average or above at 2B.
   7. Tin Angel Posted: March 17, 2022 at 08:44 AM (#6068123)
The Dodgers lineup is fairly decent.
   8. The Duke Posted: March 17, 2022 at 10:34 AM (#6068134)
I wonder what the Rays last offer was. If you assume that Freddie has to make 10-20% more in Ca, i would have thought it made a lot of sense for the Rays.

Good deal for Dodgers - another strong lefty bat in their murderers row. Hate to be a prospect in LA - no way to break into that lineup
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 17, 2022 at 11:48 AM (#6068143)
@JonHeyman
A couple of the losing bids for Freddie Freeman: Braves $140M, 5 years, Rays about $150M, 6 years. Red Sox also were in, so 3 GMs (including the winning Dodgers; $162M, 6) with Rays history all were in.
   10. Jeff Francoeur's OPS Posted: March 17, 2022 at 11:56 AM (#6068144)
Hard to believe the Braves would let him walk over a disagreement of one year... five years from now... after winning the World Series. Obviously, the absolute dollar amount wasn't the issue given what they gave Olson.
   11. Rough Carrigan Posted: March 17, 2022 at 12:02 PM (#6068145)
#7, and Stu Sternberg could throw in some Goldman stock and all the sulfur he could eat.
   12. DanG Posted: March 17, 2022 at 02:16 PM (#6068177)
What's the over/under on how much value Freeman provides in those six years? 20 WAR?
   13. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 03:08 PM (#6068184)
I'd have to look at it more but my gut says take the under on 20. He's been a 5-WAR player over the last 5 years and turning 32. Even giving him 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5 only gets you to 22.5 WAR and that's pretty much assuming he stays healthy the whole time. Ages 36-37 rarely go that well. It does seem he's being paid for (give or take) 18-22 WAR so 20 WAR might indeed be the expectation.

I've noted a couple of times this offseason that his most similar player at every age so far is Eddie Murray. We all know b-r comps in general are flawed but his list looks pretty reasonable. It's not an overly promising list but three guys aged very well and it's got 4 HoFers and a roid HoFer on it. Still, on that list, only Palmeiro (27 WAR), Bagwell and Yaz (23 each) cleared 20 WAR. Yaz and Palmeiro still had good production left in them, Bagwell got hurt. Murray and Olerud ended up in the 14-15 WAR range. The rest not so good ... but they hadn't been as good as Freeman for 29-31 I don't think.
   14. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: March 17, 2022 at 04:26 PM (#6068197)
Hard to believe the Braves would let him walk over a disagreement of one year... five years from now... after winning the World Series. Obviously, the absolute dollar amount wasn't the issue given what they gave Olson.

It is, a bit, but it's the same kind of cold-hearted calculation that distinguishes mid-market teams like the Cardinals from more sentimental but less successful ones like the Orioles.
   15. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: March 17, 2022 at 06:41 PM (#6068214)
Freeman is also Murray's most similar player for ages 22-27. They really are extraordinarily similar, like long-lost twins. I guess I'd call them both excellent, but kind of boring.

And Murray left BAL for LAD. Just sayin.
   16. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 07:37 PM (#6068218)
The Orioles get sentimental? About whom? Last guy they had deserving that sort of sentiment was Machado who they let walk. Adam Jones I guess. They let Markakis walk ... to the Braves where he did OK. Hard to act sentimental if you're not willing to spend money or sign anybody for 5+ years. Cards meanwhile seem plenty sentimental about Yadi and Wainwright at least.
   17. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: March 17, 2022 at 08:16 PM (#6068222)
[16] That's what a bunch of softies they are in Baltimore -- they gave $161m over seven years to someone who didn't even deserve the sentiment, let alone the cash.
   18. Walt Davis Posted: March 17, 2022 at 11:36 PM (#6068224)
Deserve's got nothing to do with it.
   19. VCar Posted: March 18, 2022 at 01:59 PM (#6068263)
And Murray left BAL for LAD

If I remember right, that was a trade, though I assume Murray requested it. And the way media was back then, since I no longer lived in MD, I didn't hear about it until I visited family/friends at Xmas that year. These days it's international news 10 seconds later.
   20. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 18, 2022 at 03:37 PM (#6068273)
Buster Olney at ESPN Insider has the story on how negotiations went.

Around the same time, at last summer's trade deadline, the Braves finally moved in their negotiations with Freeman, offering him $125 million over five years, according to sources. The response from Freeman's camp remained consistent with what had been communicated before -- he would agree only to a deal that included a sixth year. In the weeks that followed, the Braves bumped their offer to $135 million over five years.

According to two league sources, the team was using Paul Goldschmidt's five-year, $130 million deal with the Cardinals as a comparable contract. At the time of Goldschmidt's contract with St. Louis in 2019, he was 31 years old, a little younger than Freeman, who turned 32 last September....

When the business of baseball resumed, the Braves reconnected with Freeman's representatives. Anthopoulos nudged Atlanta's offer upward, to $140 million over five years.

On Friday, March 11, there was a report that the Dodgers were making an intense push to sign Freeman. The next day, Close and Anthopoulos spoke, and, according to four sources, Close told Anthopoulos that the Braves had an hour to accept one of two proposals -- a six-year, $175 million deal, an average of a little more than $29 million a year, or a five-year, $165 million deal, an average of $33 million per season.

Anthopoulos rejected both of Excel's proposals. The two sides agreed on only this: All offers and proposals were off the table. Both sides needed to prepare for an Atlanta squad without Freddie Freeman.
   21. The Duke Posted: March 18, 2022 at 05:42 PM (#6068282)
So, the LA deal has material deferrals. It looks like freeman overplayed his hand and/or possibly if he moves out of CA he’s betting on a lower state tax rate elsewhere when he’s retired.
   22. Lassus Posted: March 18, 2022 at 05:44 PM (#6068284)
I think I might fault Freeman on this. Unless he just didn't want to stay in sheep-fucking territory, the efforts by the Braves seemed in very good faith.
   23. My name is Votto, and I love to get Moppo Posted: March 18, 2022 at 08:59 PM (#6068297)
The AAV sounded low at first glance, but sound like it was in line with the other offers. Chipper was on Atlanta sports radio today, and hinted that Freeman’s agent steered him away from Atlanta, especially after they turned down Atlanta’s offer last year. (Chipper evidently shares an agent with Olson)
   24. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: March 18, 2022 at 09:52 PM (#6068299)
Though the Braves won the series last year, signing with the Dodgers pretty much assures you are going to the playoffs each year and with a slightly better chance of winning it all then pretty much any other team. That sounds like a good incentive to me.
Freeman is originally from California, maybe that also played into it. Maybe he likes to surf? Maybe he hates humidity(I do).
I don't know, people move to places for all kinds of reasons.

If I had a choice between $150mil and $170mil, that money difference wouldn't play into it for me, I'd go to the place I liked the best.
   25. Der-K's tired of these fruits from poisoned trees Posted: March 18, 2022 at 10:13 PM (#6068300)
fault?
this seems like it worked out okay for atlanta and freeman?
---
atlanta signed kenley j for 1/16. eep.
   26. Walt Davis Posted: March 19, 2022 at 12:31 AM (#6068305)
Yep, not seeing "fault" here for anybody or even "mistake." Atlanta reportedly wouldn't budge off 5 years, topping at 5/$140. Dodgers rock up with an extra year and nearly the same AAV, pretty much blowing Atlanta's offer out of the water. If you've been insisting on a 6th year the whole time, that's got to feel pretty good and the Dodgers have treated you with "respect." Now Freeman could have been a bit "nicer" to Atlanta and given them a shot at 6/$168 ... maybe that's the counter-offer he expected to 6/$175. 5/$165 was perhaps a silly offer ... I find it a bit hard to swallow, maybe it was 5/$155-160.

In the end it depends on whether Atlanta gave up real players to get Olson because 8/$168 for Olson through age 35 versus 6/$168 for Freeman through age 37 looks like a no-brainer.

Went through something similar (as long as we're willing to ignore several orders of magnitude). Sold off my old car. My landlord wanted to buy it for his granddaughter (or help her buy it). I said I'd give it to him for $9000 as long as I got to keep it for another few weeks, noting they regularly sell for $10,000+. He turned it down, clearly annoyed, thinking I wasn't giving him a discount. I had 4 offers within a few days of listing it and sold at $10,200. It was nice when he asked me if I'd sold it yet. Of course he got most of my "extra" back when he ###### me on the deposit. Anyway, Freeman insisted on a 6th year and a high AAV and he was right that he could get it.
   27. Lassus Posted: March 19, 2022 at 07:58 AM (#6068306)
Good lord people.

All the fans wanted to sign Freddie for Atlanta. The management wanted to sign Freddie for Atlanta. Freddie did not want to sign Freddie for Atlanta. The DECISION (hence, "fault") that Freddie didn't sign for Atlanta lies with Freddie, not Atlanta. When these signings DON'T happen, these are - after 35 or so years of watching - the words that seem to be used.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 8-15, 2022
(225 - 12:02am, Aug 13)
Last: shoelesjoe

NewsblogHow Government Devastated Minor League Baseball
(3 - 9:54pm, Aug 12)
Last: Barry`s_Lazy_Boy

NewsblogPete Rose brushes off question about alleged sex with minor: ‘It was 55 years ago, babe’
(101 - 9:51pm, Aug 12)
Last: Brian White

Newsblog2022 MLB Field of Dreams Game: Four things to know with Cubs, Reds set to meet in Iowa
(15 - 9:46pm, Aug 12)
Last: AndrewJ

Newsblog‘A League of Their Own’: There’s Still No Crying in Baseball — Just Room for Fixing Old Errors
(64 - 7:40pm, Aug 12)
Last: Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome

NewsblogMets Announce Old Timers’ Day Roster
(6 - 7:22pm, Aug 12)
Last: Banta

NewsblogRodolfo Castro loses phone while diving into third in Pirates’ loss
(28 - 2:58pm, Aug 12)
Last: Srul Itza

NewsblogThe Orioles' advantage is hiding in plain sight
(8 - 2:01pm, Aug 12)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogTrevor Bauer Faces Sexual Battery Allegations in New Countersuit
(13 - 10:24am, Aug 12)
Last: cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE

NewsblogQuite a Sho: Ohtani ties Ruth, passes Ichiro in same game
(19 - 8:47am, Aug 12)
Last: Mefisto

NewsblogJason Heyward, despite another year left on contract, won't be back with Chicago Cubs in 2023, Jed Hoyer says
(36 - 10:21pm, Aug 11)
Last: Sweatpants

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4141 - 10:08pm, Aug 11)
Last: rr would lock Shaq's a$$ up

NewsblogAs they take the Field of Dreams, where do the Chicago Cubs stand in their latest rebuild?
(2 - 7:18pm, Aug 11)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogVaughn Grissom makes history with HR, steal in debut
(10 - 6:17pm, Aug 11)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogSI:Is Nationals Starter Patrick Corbin Having the Worst Pitching Season Ever?
(9 - 5:19pm, Aug 11)
Last: Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network)

Page rendered in 0.7396 seconds
48 querie(s) executed