Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 22, 2021

From 346 MLB games to a legend in Japan

It takes time to adjust to a new league and new style of play, while becoming comfortable in your new home. It’s something that former Major Leaguer-turned-NPB-star Matt Murton knows well. Murton appeared in 346 Major League games from 2005-09 before joining the Hanshin Tigers in 2010. That very first year, he hit .349 and broke Ichiro’s then-record of 210 hits in a single NPB season.

These days, Murton is back at home and is helping coach a high school baseball team loaded with talent on its staff. (Former big leaguer Chase Headley is also there.) Having now played in both leagues and even worked in the front office for the Cubs after hanging up his cleats, he has a viewpoint on the differences between MLB and NPB that few others have….

“In the U.S., when [a pitcher] falls behind [by] 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 counts, you have a chance to gear up a touch and look for a heater,” Murton said. “In Japan, it’s the complete opposite. They actually are far more willing to throw something with spin or a splitter or change in those counts than they are a fastball. In fact, like 0-1, 1-2 counts is when they’ll throw the heater. For a guy from Japan coming to the U.S. and vice versa, you have to completely change your mentality in both the sequencing and pitching.”

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 22, 2021 at 02:23 PM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: japanese baseball, matt murton

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: November 22, 2021 at 07:46 PM (#6054113)
I'm a little bit surprised that more North American players don't make their way to Japan. I suppose the culture shock is large, and I don't really have a sense of the salary hit one might take. But Murton made close to $4 million in 2014, still a hefty sum, and had a great season. Maybe I underestimate the competitiveness of big-time athletes.
   2. we all water; we all 57i66135 Posted: November 22, 2021 at 09:02 PM (#6054123)
I'm a little bit surprised that more North American players don't make their way to Japan. I suppose the culture shock is large, and I don't really have a sense of the salary hit one might take. But Murton made close to $4 million in 2014, still a hefty sum, and had a great season. Maybe I underestimate the competitiveness of big-time athletes.

does japan still have a hard limit of 4 "gaijin" per team?
   3. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 23, 2021 at 02:07 AM (#6054170)
does japan still have a hard limit of 4 "gaijin" per team?

Yes, as far as the NPB team roster at any one time goes. You can, however, have as many additional foreign players signed and on your minor league roster as you want (or can get), and shuffle them to the NPB team, demoting other foreign players if the foreign players on the active roster are injured or ineffective.
   4. McCoy Posted: November 23, 2021 at 07:30 AM (#6054176)
It seems the Cubs were a great minor league team for the Japanese majors. Murton, Hill, Brown. . .

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(23 - 4:31am, Dec 03)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1250 - 3:32am, Dec 03)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogThe 100 Best Baseball Books Ever Written
(73 - 11:54pm, Dec 02)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogFormer Cy Young Winner LaMarr Hoyt Reportedly Dies At 66
(56 - 11:02pm, Dec 02)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogReport: MLB Owners Vote Unanimously to Institute Lockout
(31 - 9:57pm, Dec 02)
Last: bookbook

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(9 - 9:27pm, Dec 02)
Last: Jose Has Absurd Goosebump Arms

NewsblogSources: Boston Red Sox in agreement with Rich Hill
(16 - 9:19pm, Dec 02)
Last: villageidiom

NewsblogA’s reportedly eyeing Tropicana site for possible Strip ballpark
(21 - 8:01pm, Dec 02)
Last: Walt Davis

Newsblog'Chicago!' Stroman says he's joining Cubs
(48 - 7:27pm, Dec 02)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogDoes Major League Baseball need an offseason transaction deadline?
(6 - 6:53pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogMarcell Ozuna was choking wife as cops burst in, police video shows
(32 - 6:50pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(27 - 5:27pm, Dec 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(67 - 5:12pm, Dec 02)
Last: taxandbeerguy

NewsblogSources - Cy Young winner Robbie Ray, Seattle Mariners finalizing $115 million contract
(9 - 4:40pm, Dec 02)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogJackie Bradley, Jr. back to Boston in deal with Crew
(17 - 3:15pm, Dec 02)
Last: Walt Davis

Page rendered in 0.1882 seconds
48 querie(s) executed