Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Giants right to exclude Aubrey Huff from 2010 World Series celebration

Given some of his tweets this year alone, it’s hard to blame them.

There was the one where he suggested kidnapping Iranian women and bringing them to the United States, saying they’d be so grateful they’d “fan us and feed us grapes.” There was the one where he expressed hope that protesters would be shot. There was the one where he said it was “way harder” to be a baseball player than a teacher. There were the many, many ones in which he demeaned women and said they were meant to be subservient to men.

And in what was probably the final straw for the Giants, he criticized their hiring of Alyssa Nakken, baseball’s first female coach, and implied it was a stunt.

“Couldn’t imagine taking baseball instruction from an ex female softball player,” Huff said, followed by the eye-roll emoji.

Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 05:43 AM | 139 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: douchebag

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 
   1. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 07:27 AM (#5925498)
There was the one where he said it was “way harder” to be a baseball player than a teacher.

Objective truth will not be tolerated.
   2. Blastin Posted: February 20, 2020 at 07:34 AM (#5925500)
#### you, man
   3. JJ1986 Posted: February 20, 2020 at 07:38 AM (#5925501)
There was the one where he suggested kidnapping Iranian women and bringing them to the United States, saying they’d be so grateful they’d “fan us and feed us grapes.”
This was not the whole thought.
   4. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 08:04 AM (#5925504)

Objective truth coated in subservient Iranian slave women? That's your hill?

And I do think including him would have been a non-story. I mean, not my company, but I think that one wasn't really going to affect anything longer than three or four weeks, if that.
   5. Padraic Posted: February 20, 2020 at 08:17 AM (#5925506)

Not sure that's objective truth, at least how it's framed in the quote. It's pretty objectively easy to play baseball - a hell of lot easier than teaching. Now, to get paid to play, that's way harder than getting paid to be a teacher.
   6. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 08:24 AM (#5925509)
It's easy to be terrible at baseball, sure. It's also easy to be terrible at teaching.

How many people can play baseball well enough to play professionally? How many people can teach well enough to teach professionally? Which number is higher?
   7. Itchy Row Posted: February 20, 2020 at 08:48 AM (#5925512)
He’ll just have to add the Giants to the list of people he’s training his sons to kill.
   8. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 08:56 AM (#5925514)
How many people can play baseball well enough to play professionally? How many people can teach well enough to teach professionally? Which number is higher?

There are apparently just 200 women licensed to work at Nevada brothels, therefore - being a legal sex worker is far harder.... like 25+ times harder than being a professional baseball player.
   9. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:08 AM (#5925516)
This is the organization that employs Gabe Kapler as their manager.

But those tweets tho ....
   10. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:16 AM (#5925518)
There are apparently just 200 women licensed to work at Nevada brothels, therefore - being a legal sex worker is far harder.... like 25+ times harder than being a professional baseball player.

Read my post one more time and try to pay attention.
   11. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:21 AM (#5925519)

The leftist mob's cancel culture is not going to permit right wing or even "right wing" statements to be made on Twitter. It's that simple and there's no use bemoaning it at this late juncture. I hate utilitarianism, but the utilitarian calculus would be that if they're sitting around in Mom's basement all worried about Aubrey Huff and showing off for a bunch of other online weirdos, it means they aren't out in the streets or effectively organizing, or even voting. Better Aubrey Huff be canceled than that happen.

For the most part they're ineffectual losers, and it's truly unfortunate that Twitter has come along to empower them, but such is American life in 2020. It will change.
   12. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:26 AM (#5925522)

Everybody has sex... apparently, very few people meet the qualifications to be legally paid for it.
   13. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:33 AM (#5925523)
Now, if you want the tippy top of objective truths...

My money would be on the professional artist who works in metabolic waste. There are not many of those *at all*.... and everybody poops!
   14. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:35 AM (#5925524)
I will give remedial reading comprehension teachers their due credit - I am not cut out for the job. Let me try to assist you.

The number of women who are employed as sex workers is something far less than the number of women who are capable of being employed as sex workers if they choose to do so.
   15. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:41 AM (#5925526)
The number of women who are employed as sex workers is something far less than the number of women who are capable of being employed as sex workers if they choose to do so.

The corner tavern and endless numbers of recreational and pickup softball games leads me to understand that are bazillions who fellas who were only a break away, a coach who wasn't a jerk, or an awful first wife, or otherwise chose not to play baseball professionally...
   16. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 09:55 AM (#5925528)

I disagree with this definition of harder. How many people have kids vs. how many people play cribbage? Is it harder to play cribbage than raise a kid?

17. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:00 AM (#5925529)
I disagree with this definition of harder. How many people have kids vs. how many people play cribbage? Is it harder to play cribbage than raise a kid?

My parents won me in a game of cribbage!
   18. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:07 AM (#5925531)
I hate cabbage.
   19. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:07 AM (#5925532)
Everybody has sex...

if only.
   20. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM (#5925535)

That's just a reflection of the market. If MLB were to suddenly expand by 30 more teams, would playing baseball professionally suddenly become twice as easy? It would be twice as easy to get a job, but that's not the same thing.
   21. manchestermets Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:13 AM (#5925536)
This was not the whole thought.

You know, all the good contexts for suggesting that women are kidnapped as sex slaves.
   22. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:28 AM (#5925539)
Something else ignored - along with everything else Huff has written - by post #1 is that even if objectively true, so what? It was mentioned in the article because Huff had used it as a pointless, trolling cudgel alongside his many, many other "women are shit" statements. Which is why the Giants want him having nothing to do with their brand.

Again, I can see the Giants handling this way better, but I'm not that concerned.
   23. SoSH U at work Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:37 AM (#5925540)
Basically, the Giants didn't want to invite a spectacular ####### to their party. I don't think that's a thoroughly unusual situation.
   24. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:37 AM (#5925541)
Which is why the Giants want him having nothing to do with their brand.

He already is "part of their brand." (*) As is Gabe Kapler, whose actual behavior -- as opposed to stupid, meaningless words (**) -- toward women is far worse.

(*) "Brand" is a dumb term, empty of any real meaning, and typically used by lazy commentators to show sophistication and worldliness. The effort, as here, virtually always fails. "Organization" works better and is more accurate. Even "them" would be better.

(**) You continue to persist in the idea that adults are somehow going to be led to change their opinions en masse by the dumbass tweets of doofuses like Aubrey Huff. Do you actually expect that the rooftops and drawing rooms of Pacific Heights are going to be filled with grape-feeding Persian sex slaves if Aubrey Huff shows up for a half-hour celebration at China Basin? Are you more inclined to book a round-trip flight to Tehran?
   25. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:41 AM (#5925543)
Basically, the Giants didn't want to invite a spectacular ####### to their party. I don't think that's a thoroughly unusual situation.

Except they invited Barry Bonds (*) to his own Wall of Fame party in July 2017. I was there and saw it up-close with my own eyes.

(*) New York Times, March 28, 2011:

Bell testified that she had a good reason for never bringing up the subject of steroids with him again: she was afraid of him.

During their later years together, she said Bonds grew irritable and verbally abusive — “almost violent.” The government insists that change in his demeanor was brought about by steroid use.

Bell testified that Bonds threatened “to cut my head off and leave me in a ditch” and said that “he would cut out my breast implants because he paid for them.” He also said he was going to burn her house down, she said.

“I didn’t want to make him angry,” Bell said, growing teary. “I didn’t want him to yell at me.”

Unbelievably, after seeing the celebration and even the piss-poor performance by the home nine, I didn't run out into the streets of San Francisco and start threatening to cut women's heads off and leave them in ditches. Funny that. Amazing, really.
   26. JJ1986 Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:53 AM (#5925544)
So SugarBear's new thing is that horrible words don't mean anything because only horrible people are persuaded by them?
   27. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:57 AM (#5925545)
Something else ignored - along with everything else Huff has written

Do you suggest there is a better course of action with respect to Aubrey Huff's tweets? Ignoring what he says seems like the way to go to me.

You're all over the place. The question isn't how many people do, but how many people could. And then you just equated having a kid with raising a kid, one of which is obviously more difficult than the other.
   28. jmurph Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:58 AM (#5925546)
and typically used by lazy commentators to show sophistication and worldliness

This from the guy who uses "physical plant" to refer to stadiums. Extremely rich.
   29. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:58 AM (#5925547)
So SugarBear's new thing is that horrible words don't mean anything because only horrible people are persuaded by them?

Huff was disinvited because he said right-wing things on Twitter. It would be better if the Giants and the supporters of their actions here would just admit and own that, rather than say a bunch of stuff easily proven to be hypocritical. It's obvious to reasonable centrist people everywhere.
   30. Itchy Row Posted: February 20, 2020 at 10:59 AM (#5925549)
The Giants should apologize for any offense Huff has taken from their hurtful, insensitive remarks towards him.
   31. Nasty Nate Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5925551)
If the Giants snub him, he can always pal around with Schilling.
   32. jmurph Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:07 AM (#5925552)
Huff was disinvited because he said right-wing things on Twitter

Is pro-sex slavery a right-wing position now? I feel like you might get some push back on that one at the next meeting.
   33. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:10 AM (#5925553)
Do you suggest there is a better course of action with respect to Aubrey Huff's tweets? Ignoring what he says seems like the way to go to me.

The only reason anyone would pay attention to the "thoughts" of people like Aubrey Huff would be to censor or sanction or cancel him for saying them. He's otherwise a non-factor in American life.

I'm also not entirely sure what people expected these athletes and retired athletes to utter on Twitter once they had Twitter to utter things. These aren't exactly geniuses and none of this should be remotely shocking.
   34. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:13 AM (#5925555)
The Giants should apologize for any offense Huff has taken from their hurtful, insensitive remarks towards him.

Gabe Kapler and Barry Bonds are members in good stead of their "brand." As are, we can be sure, other misogynists and misanthropes.
   35. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:15 AM (#5925558)

It's definitely not new. This is the 9th or 10th time I've heard it. Granted, he does repeat himself.
   36. Itchy Row Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:17 AM (#5925559)
Is pro-sex slavery a right-wing position now? I feel like you might get some push back on that one at the next meeting.
Officially, they're "pro-sex contracting" so they don't have to provide the benefits sex slaves get.
   37. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:18 AM (#5925560)

You'd think a guy named after the wonderful and hilarious Aubrey Plaza would have developed tougher skin by now, but alas.... snowflakes.
   38. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM (#5925579)
The question isn't how many people do, but how many people could.
Well, that's how you've interpreted it. Another interpretation is, if a person were capable of doing both, which would they find harder? Play baseball with extensive (fairly lux) travel for half the year, or spend your week in a classroom with minimal bathroom breaks for three quarters of the year educating/babysitting a bunch of kids?
   39. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM (#5925581)
Well, that's how you've interpreted it. Another interpretation is, if a person were capable of doing both, which would they find harder? Play baseball with extensive (fairly lux) travel for half the year, or spend your week in a classroom with minimal bathroom breaks for three quarters of the year educating/babysitting a bunch of kids?

But the point is there are 1500-2000 people in the world capable of playing baseball at an MLB level, there are probably 50 million people in America capable of teaching in a run of the mill public school.
   40. JL72 Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:12 PM (#5925584)
Huff was disinvited because he said right-wing things on Twitter.

My uncle, who is very right-wing, always railed against political correctness and alleged intolerance. But based on the examples he gave, it was clear he was upset because he could not longer say awful things and be an ass without being called out for it.

I see that view point has not changed a whole lot.
   41. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:14 PM (#5925585)
My uncle, who is very right-wing, always railed against political correctness and alleged intolerance. But based on the examples he gave, it was clear he was upset because he could not longer say awful things and be an ass without being called out for it.
Lemme guess - he also rants a lot about "personal responsibility," right?
   42. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:21 PM (#5925588)

Is this supposed to disprove the assertion you quoted? Because it sure seems to prove it, instead. Huff said something right-wing on Twitter and was "called out for it." Yes, exactly. That's what I said.
   43. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM (#5925591)
Never mind. Completely lost, sorry.
   44. Mayor Blomberg Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM (#5925592)
But the point is there are 1500-2000 people in the world capable of playing baseball at an MLB level, there are probably 50 million people in America capable of teaching in a run of the mill public school.

And what, 3-4 times that many qualified to be president.
   45. Banta Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM (#5925593)
All this talk about baseball players versus teachers reminds me of this. Which is better than where this thread is heading.
   46. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:27 PM (#5925594)
And what, 3-4 times that many qualified to be president.

Probably twice as many.

But are people really unaware of how bad the bottom 10% of teachers are? It's hard to be a good teacher, but to just not get fired? The bar is pretty low.
   47. Itchy Row Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM (#5925598)
I don't remember much about the 2010 Giants, but it's still surprising that Huff led the team in WAR. It's even more surprising (to me at least) who was second on the team.
   48. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:36 PM (#5925600)
Because the bottom 10% of bankers are such a shining example?
   49. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:38 PM (#5925601)
And in what was probably the final straw for the Giants, he criticized their hiring of Alyssa Nakken, baseball’s first female coach, and implied it was a stunt.

“Couldn’t imagine taking baseball instruction from an ex female softball player,” Huff said, followed by the eye-roll emoji.

And the Cleveland Cavaliers really didn't want to take basketball instruction from an ex-college basketball coach, no matter how accomplished he was. This isn't even really anti-woman, and not just because of the "ex," it's an anti-didn't play the game. Pro athletes have pulled the, "How can you coach me, you didn't play the game" routine since Dan Brouthers and King Kelly.

And usually when a story like this says that someone like Huff "implied" something, it typically means Huff "didn't say" that thing. But I'd have to see the tweet, assuming there's more. Certainly the quoted part "implied" no such thing.
   50. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:40 PM (#5925603)
There was the one where he said it was “way harder” to be a baseball player than a teacher.

You'd have to be the snowiest of snowflakes to see anything "insulting" in this. I'm pretty good at playing snowflake, and I can't see anything bad in this. Reads like total piling on. Not even sure why people are arguing about it.

He revealed himself to be right-wing gun nutty on Twitter and said something a little weird that involved "brown people."(*) He's a deplorable. That's why he got cancelled. If you reveal yourself to be a deplorable, you run the very significant risk of being cancelled by any non-avowedly right wing public-facing institution in the US. That's the factual synopsis of where the culture is.

It should just be admitted and owned. All the rest is just noise.

(*) Iranians of course aren't really "brown," but in the eyes of the canceling types, they very much, rather bizarrely, are.
   51. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM (#5925604)
Another interpretation is, if a person were capable of doing both, which would they find harder?

You're handwaving away the only useful barometer.
   52. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM (#5925605)
It's probably also worth noting that Huff also recently Tweeted this about Alyssa Nakken, a new coach that the team just hired. That seems, in and of itself, like a pretty good reason not to bring him in for a team function and honor him.

Also, being an ####### isn't a political position. It just means that you're an #######.
   53. Banta Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:45 PM (#5925608)
52 nails it. The most recent tweet is 100% the reason for the team, I'm sure.
   54. The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM (#5925610)
But are people really unaware of how bad the bottom 10% of teachers are? It's hard to be a good teacher, but to just not get fired? The bar is pretty low.

Jeff Mathis is still a professional baseball player.
   55. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM (#5925614)
Banta, you're not as locked in to the Giants FO as SBB.
   56. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:56 PM (#5925617)
Because the bottom 10% of bankers are such a shining example?

Morally? Or in terms of competence? The top-90% of bankers are mostly morally bankrupt, but they've don't have tenure or a union, so they're largely competent at doing morally bankrupt things.
   57. villageidiom Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:59 PM (#5925619)
And usually when a story like this says that someone like Huff "implied" something, it typically means Huff "didn't say" that thing. But I'd have to see the tweet, assuming there's more.
The "fan us and feed us grapes" part was not the end of the tweet. It was immediately followed with something like "and other things {cat emoji}".
   58. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:59 PM (#5925620)
It's probably also worth noting that Huff also recently Tweeted this about Alyssa Nakken, a new coach that the team just hired.

Thanks for posting it; like I predicted, in no place did Huff "imply" that the hiring was a "stunt."

Also, being an ####### isn't a political position.

No, but the Bernie Sanders stuff and the anti-me too and "believe all women" dig in his first tweet very much are. As for that matter, in this climate, is criticizing the hiring of a ground-breaking female.

He wasn't cancelled for being an #######, though he is an #######. It should just be admitted.

59. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:05 PM (#5925623)
The "fan us and feed us grapes" part was not the end of the tweet. It was immediately followed with something like "and other things {cat emoji}".

That wasn't the tweet at issue with the "implied" thing. That was him "implying" that the hiring of the woman was a "stunt." He didn't do that. Again, this is what happens when the motives behind an action aren't being admitted honestly. You wind up exaggerating and lying. Not a pretty or defensible sight.

The Giants didn't want a gun nut, right-winger who blabs too much about gun stuff, and talks insultingly and all weird-mercenary about "brown people," associated with their organization. There's nothing more to it than that. I actually share their view on gun nuttery, and Huff's general "deplorability" and weirdness, but I'm dead set against cancel culture -- so I can't possibly support the action. That's not a position with many current adherents, or one with much of a public megaphone, and it's procedural and institutional and non-tribal and a bit abstract, and is kind of bloodless and boring and certainly plays horribly on the internet -- but there you have it.
   60. flournoy Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:14 PM (#5925627)
I'm dead set against cancel culture... That's not a position with many current adherents

We exist, but we keep getting cancelled, so we're getting harder to find.
   61. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:17 PM (#5925628)
Thanks for posting it; like I predicted, in no place did Huff "imply" that the hiring was a "stunt."

He publicly mocked the Giants latest coaching hire. Are your contacts in the Giants FO denying that had an effect?
   62. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:18 PM (#5925629)
It might be because most people just find My Mother the Car to be stupid and not worth tuning into... Just a guess.
   63. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:22 PM (#5925630)
He publicly mocked the hiring.

That's not "implying that it was a stunt," as the reporter stated.

That was a lie by the reporter. If anyone is wondering why I'm focused on this and not Huff's "deplorablity," I actually hold educated and literate people to a higher standard than dopes like Aubrey Huff, so I find the reporter's lies just as bad or worse than anything Huff said. I have no expectations whatever about the utterances of Aubrey Huff. None of us should, really. He's out of his element. And it naturally follows, then, that public acclaim for his jockish feats shouldn't be influenced by anything (*) he utters. His contributions to the Giants' 2010 title didn't have anything to do with things he said or things he thought.

(*) Or virtually anything -- there are exceptions, obviously.
   64. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:22 PM (#5925632)
Outside of the likes of Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby, how lasting are the ramifications of being "cancelled" anyway? I do think cancel culture can overreach in its attempt to correct things, though most of the time, the true impact is overstated by those who hate cancel culture no matter what the situation.
   65. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:29 PM (#5925635)
Dave Dravecky, pre-Twitter, was a right-wing loon, even if memory serves, a John Bircher. (*) Elected to the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame, January 2019.

The only difference between then and now is Twitter. Dravecky was probably even loonier than Huff.

(*) Googled it. Memory serves. Oh, and there's this:

Here’s an outlook on #ThankYouBoch [Bruce Bochy's going away, like 8 months ago] Weekend and what fans should expect for the busy weekend ahead:

Prior to the game, the SFGiants will hand out their annual Willie Mac award for the player who best exemplifies the inspiration, character and leadership that Willie McCovey demonstrated during his playing days in San Francisco. This will be the first time since Willie McCovey’s passing that the award will be presented by someone other than McCovey himself. It is only fitting that in one of his final games as Manager of the Giants, the 2019 Willie Mac Award will be presented by Skipper Bruce Bochy.

Past Willie Mac Award winners scheduled to participate in the ceremony include: Mike Krukow, Mike Felder, Dave Dravecky, Darrell Evans, Mark Gardner, Mark Leiter, Chris Speier, Shawon Dunston, Javier Lopez, Ryan Vogelsong, Marvin Benard, Robby Thompson, Andres Torres, Omar Vizquel, Ellis Burks, Buster Posey, Madison Bumgarner, Brandon Crawford and Will Smith.

66. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:30 PM (#5925636)
I kind of feel like any society that still finds room on a TV schedule for Tim Allen rehashing old All in the Family scripts, sanitized of irony and piped over a laugh track is more at risk of atrophy over silly nostalgic longing than groupthink cancellation...

But that's just me.
   67. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:32 PM (#5925637)
Is anyone here in favor of the full breadth of those tweets?

OK, is anyone against the right of the Giants to invite or not invite whoever they want?

If you answered "No" (I don't fully support those tweets) or "No" (meaning against the Giants getting to decide) then what exactly are you whining about? The Giants decided - perhaps based on the tweets, but other factors may have also figured into it - that they didn't want him around. They have that right, and in fact they should decide who to invite and who not to invite, should exercise their judgement, and not just blindly invite everyone.

Seriously are people suggesting the Giants made a mistake? If so please explain your reasoning, and please avoid nonsense like "Cancel culture" and "offended", just explain why you know better than the Giants why he should have been invited.

(Yes I am ignoring the pointless sidebar about teachers, super dumb distraction)
   68. caspian88 Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:38 PM (#5925638)
Cody Ross, the 2010 NLCS MVP, has not been disinvited despite having posted right-wing things on his Twitter account.

The difference between Cody Ross and Aubrey Huff is that Ross doesn't post piles of racist, sexist nonsense and attack the Giants organization and it's fans. Aubrey Huff is not being "cancelled" for being right-wing or even for being publicly right-wing, he's being disinvited from an event because he's a gigantic racist, sexist ####### who revels in playing the victim and attacking vulnerable people (an act that absolutely does result in real, physical, harm to vulnerable people in the real world).

Huff shouldn't be at this event and shouldn't be given a platform or an honor by anyone, and the Giants are absolutely in the right here. Whether they're in the right in other ways is a different issue.
   69. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:39 PM (#5925639)
Outside of the likes of Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby, how lasting are the ramifications of being "cancelled" anyway? I do think cancel culture can overreach in its attempt to correct things, though most of the time, the true impact is overstated by those who hate cancel culture no matter what the situation.

I don't remember which project he was working on when the allegations surfaced, but Louie CK lost his TV show and/or movie. He was the most "disappointing" perpetrator to me since I was a fan with superficially similar life circumstances (recently divorced, two daughters) and he seemed like a neurotic but good dude.

He is on tour now, at smaller venues than he visited in his peak. He seems super defiant and I have no interest in seeing anything he does.
   70. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:42 PM (#5925640)
The difference between Cody Ross and Aubrey Huff is that Ross doesn't post piles of racist, sexist nonsense

Huff didn't do that either. You're completely exaggerating. Typically, if a point can't be made without massive exaggeration, it isn't that great a point to begin with.

The Giants invited a John Bircher to Bruce Bochy's going away party seven months ago. The Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame elected a John Bircher 14 months ago. The difference isn't that Huff "posted piles of racist, sexist nonsense," it's that he tweeted anything right-wing, particularly if it involved women or "brown people." It's the tweeting, and any amount will do.
   71. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:47 PM (#5925641)
it's that he tweeted anything right-wing

So I assume you have some kind of inside track on why Cody Ross wasn't disinvited.
   72. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:48 PM (#5925642)
I don't remember which project he was working on when the allegations surfaced, but Louie CK lost his TV show and/or movie. He was the most "disappointing" perpetrator to me since I was a fan with superficially similar life circumstances (recently divorced, two daughters) and he seemed like a neurotic but good dude.

He is on tour now, at smaller venues than he visited in his peak. He seems super defiant and I have no interest in seeing anything he does.

He was definitely on my mind when I wrote that. I adored CK. He was my favorite comedian. Honestly, I still love his stand-up, though I've been disappointed in how his remorse seemed to vanish once he admitted that the allegations were true.

He's doing smaller venues now, but they still seem very well attended. I know he was coming to the area for a show and a friend and I were considering going until we saw that the ticket prices were two to three times what they were when we saw him in 2016. So while he's doing smaller venues, he's probably closed the monetary gap quite a bit by drastically upping his ticket prices.
   73. JL72 Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:49 PM (#5925643)
Is this supposed to disprove the assertion you quoted? Because it sure seems to prove it, instead. Huff said something right-wing on Twitter and was "called out for it." Yes, exactly. That's what I said.

But he also said a bunch of other stuff that had nothing to do with being right-wing and everything to do with being an ass. And he does not want to be called out for that.

But you know that.
   74. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:51 PM (#5925644)
It's not really new; he was arguing yay Hitler those are just words a few months ago.
   75. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:52 PM (#5925645)
Caspian88 on Huff's tweets - piles of racist, sexist nonsense

SBB: Huff didn't do that either. You're completely exaggerating.

Well, I'm not looking through Twitter for ANYTHING, but here's a Huff quote it took 5 seconds to find from an interview two days ago:
I wouldn’t want to coach women in sports. Women are tough enough to deal with anyway.
   76. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:53 PM (#5925646)
I'm drinking VitaminWaterZero these days, David.
   77. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:54 PM (#5925647)
So I assume you have some kind of inside track on why Cody Ross wasn't disinvited.

You left out the rest of the sentence. The hiring of the first female ... anything ... is essentially sacrosanct and inviolate and is not to be criticized in any way, much less ridiculed. That's the main reason. The rest is the gun nut weirdness and bizarre stuff about "brown people."

It's a mixture of things, the essence of which is public expression of deplorable-ism, which isn't an exact overlap with "right-wing." I've explained it upthread as well. If you tweet-reveal yourself as a gunny, mildly off, deplorable, with some women and "brown people" stuff thrown in, you're in big trouble. You're actually worse off than if you were an overt John Bircher, or an actual rape-coverup-er or woman-violent-threatener, which is downright preposterous -- but none of this really makes much consistent sense. John Bircherism is kind of old school and therefore mostly-forgotten; deplorable-ism is ultra-today.

78. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:55 PM (#5925648)
But he also said a bunch of other stuff that had nothing to do with being right-wing and everything to do with being an ass. And he does not want to be called out for that.

But you know that.

I do know that, but he wasn't cancelled for being an ass.
   79. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:55 PM (#5925649)
I'm drinking VitaminWaterZero these days, David.
That's punishment enough, I would think.
   80. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:00 PM (#5925650)
How exactly does SBB "know" why some people are invited and others were not? Could it be just a random invention of his precious little snowflake mind, desperate to have his worldview validated? Or is he trolling? Maybe he has super special connections to the Giants?

It is two of those three. (Hint: Not the last one)
   81. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:02 PM (#5925651)
Well, I'm not looking through Twitter for ANYTHING, but here's a Huff quote it took 5 seconds to find from an interview two days ago:

I wouldn’t want to coach women in sports. Women are tough enough to deal with anyway.

That's not "piles." And I'd need context before I'd even conclude it's "sexist." It could be, it could not be. Show your work. As always, I have an open mind. From the reporting, I've seen nothing like "piles" of "racist" and "sexist" stuff.

Most of the people who prattle on with those words have churned themselves up to the point where they're like Chris Paul's State Farm agent, looking up from the hood of the car at nice cloud formations and seeing CP3's house being burglarized or his water pipes breaking and spewing all over the apartment. We're well past the point where you should reasonably expect non-tribalists to just accept the claim.
   82. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:05 PM (#5925653)
Words are few
I have spoken
I could waste a thousand years
Wrapped in sorrow, words are token
Come inside and catch my tears
   83. Rusty Priske Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:06 PM (#5925655)
The idea that the Giants have to invite a complete ####### to their party is ridiculous.

And to anyone who says that he wasn't invited because he is right-wing is saying that being a misogynistic #### is right-wing.

I am not going to argue with you. That's all on you.
   84. Barnaby Jones Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:11 PM (#5925658)
He seems super defiant.

Really? That's disappointing. I haven't been following him very closely since his fall from grace, but at the time he seemed to provide one of the better responses by immediately admitting that the stories were true and that he had been a creep. Not to imply that made everything okay, or that it was a perfect response, but he at least seemed one of the least defiant at the time.
   85. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:11 PM (#5925659)
By the way it is awesome SBB brought up a bunch of "right wing loons" the Giants associate or associated with, which of course completely destroys his own argument that being a right wing loon is why Huff was not invited.
   86. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:12 PM (#5925660)
I'm a man without conviction
I'm a man who doesn't know
How to sell a contradiction
You come and go, you come and go
   87. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:15 PM (#5925661)

But you know that.

Right, Huff is a huge #######, politics aside.
   88. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:18 PM (#5925665)

So are a lot of people. So's Barry Bonds. Huff is a tweet-#######, which is an entirely different species.

It's not really the status that's at issue; it's the manifestation of the status on Twitter and social media. That's Huff's offense and what separates him definitively from people like Bonds and other merely-extant ########.
   89. jmurph Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:24 PM (#5925669)
SBB keeps scare-quoting "brown" in brown people, so I was wondering who had initially raised his ire. Quick, everyone do a CTRL-F for "brown," I promise you'll laugh.
   90. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:26 PM (#5925670)
SBB keeps scare-quoting "brown" in brown people

They're not scare quotes.
   91. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:30 PM (#5925673)

Do we really want to live in a world where being a huge ####### carries some sort of social stigma that denies you invites to certain events?

Where does it end?

92. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:31 PM (#5925674)
Do we really want to live in a world where being a huge ####### carries some sort of social stigma that denies you invites to certain events?

Where does it end?

I'm OK with it.

So are a lot of people. So's Barry Bonds. Huff is a tweet-#######, which is an entirely different species.

I wouldn't invite Barry Bonds to my party, either. Not a big fan of people who threaten to dismember other people.
   93. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:35 PM (#5925677)
I wouldn't invite Barry Bonds to my party, either.

OK, well the Giants do invite him to their parties. So being an ####### isn't disqualifying, which leaves ... well, we pretty much know what it leaves.
   94. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:37 PM (#5925680)
OK, well the Giants do invite him to their parties. So being an ####### isn't disqualifying, which leaves ... well, we pretty much know what it leaves.

So attack Bonds, don't defend Huff.
   95. SoSH U at work Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:39 PM (#5925681)

Don't you know. If you invite one #######, you have to invite all of the ########. It's very similar to the protocol for handing out valentines in third grade.

96. . Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:41 PM (#5925682)

I don't think being an ####### should be disqualifying. It typically isn't with sports celebrations and never has been. Neither, really, has being a violent threatener to women -- which is more important than being an ####### -- but I don't really know where I stand on that one. I do know that if you keep your mouth shut and aren't a right-wing twitter blabber, you can beat women and still be invited to parties. What do you suspect the odds are that Addison Russell, if current trends hold, will be cancelled from the Cubs 2026 ten-year anniversary celebration?
   97. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:42 PM (#5925684)
Very high.
   98. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:55 PM (#5925687)
What do you suspect the odds are that Addison Russell, if current trends hold, will be cancelled from the Cubs 2026 ten-year anniversary celebration?

100%
   99. Itchy Row Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:59 PM (#5925689)
Russell won't be invited to the 2026 celebration, but he'll be at the 2116 centennial.
   100. Zonk took his own SATs Posted: February 20, 2020 at 03:00 PM (#5925690)
I would also support losing Chapman's invite in the mail... for a variety of reasons that extend beyond, but include his assholishness.
Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.