Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Hey beer man! The top 10 brews available at big league ballparks

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about beer…

Oh, hell, who am I kidding.  Over/under for posts on this one is 300.

Most of the beers on this list are pale ales of some sort; along with pilsners and summer ales, you’ll find that these are the best kinds of beers to drink while sunning yourself during a late July baseball game. You’d be best to avoid full-bodied oatmeal stouts or brown bitter dunkelweizens that would only weigh you down and make you feel like John Kruk at a buffet table. And remember, these beers are meant to be enjoyed in moderation. They taste so darn good that you’ll want to savor the flavor, not chug them like you’re a sorority girl with a Solo cup and a half keg of Milwaukee’s Best.

Guapo Posted: March 08, 2011 at 08:02 PM | 125 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: March 09, 2011 at 06:40 PM (#3767303)
Since we are on beers one of the funniest things I have heard in a bar is a woman walking up and saying "Give me a merkin".

Yeah, that would wig me out, too.
   102. Der Komminsk-sar Posted: March 09, 2011 at 06:50 PM (#3767311)
(rimshot)
   103. JGLB's Quarantine is a Dome of Sensual Delights Posted: March 09, 2011 at 06:52 PM (#3767313)
Speaking of NY breweries, Southern Tier has been killing it lately. Their Choklat is my now go-to dessert.
   104. JGLB's Quarantine is a Dome of Sensual Delights Posted: March 09, 2011 at 06:58 PM (#3767320)
but man oh man, I was really not expecting such a piss poor product from Jim Koch & Co...

Then you shouldn't try their Noble Pils. Completely undrinkable.
   105. The Well-Tempered Javier Vasquez (loungehead) Posted: March 09, 2011 at 07:35 PM (#3767351)
Shortly before I moved here (Milwaukee area) someone on this board suggested the Raspberry Tart beer by New Glarus (mrams, perhaps? My apologies for not remembering). That was absolutely fantastic, and I've since been greedily trying everything by New Glarus I can find, usually many, many times. My favorite by far is their Moon Man brew, which is a pale ale. I've tried a number of pales since I realized I liked them so much, and that one is hands-down the best I've tried. Simply fantastic stuff.
   106. Kurt Posted: March 09, 2011 at 08:07 PM (#3767384)
Sam Adams is all over the place - the lager and ale and some others are fine, and in fact one of the most satisfying beers I ever had was a Summer Wheat after a brutally hot day of golf, but some of the seasonals (Cherry Wheat, pumpkin ale) are absolutely undrinkable, the worst beers you could imagine.

The local Trader Joe's is selling variety 4-packs of Unibroue for $7.99 - if you're looking to dip your toes into beer snobbery, I can't think of a better way to start.
   107. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: March 09, 2011 at 08:50 PM (#3767431)
Shortly before I moved here (Milwaukee area) someone on this board suggested the Raspberry Tart beer by New Glarus (mrams, perhaps? My apologies for not remembering). That was absolutely fantastic, and I've since been greedily trying everything by New Glarus I can find, usually many, many times. My favorite by far is their Moon Man brew, which is a pale ale. I've tried a number of pales since I realized I liked them so much, and that one is hands-down the best I've tried. Simply fantastic stuff.

Another satisfied customer. I continue to smuggle as much New Glarus as I can every time I'm back in the state. 3 guys on my street have open orders to bring back stuff every trip. Don't forget to try the 'Belgian Red' (cherry, not as delicious as the raspberry) but still top notch. They also brought back their 'Unplugged: Cherry Red Stout' during 2010 which was worth it. some of the Unplugged series have failed with me, but not that one.
   108. Guapo Posted: March 09, 2011 at 09:15 PM (#3767463)
Coincidentally, washingtonpost.com is running a "Beer Madness" tournament.

See here.

I could get into this.
   109. Home Run Teal & Black Black Black Gone! Posted: March 09, 2011 at 09:47 PM (#3767511)
Are you guys talking about ####### fruit baskets or beer?

What the hell is going on around here?
   110. Cris E Posted: March 09, 2011 at 10:10 PM (#3767537)
The other night I was out with my little brother and went down the line at our local place: Bells' Two Hearted, Tallgrass Oasis, and the local fav Surly Furious. (If you like hops Surly is a great little brewery, by the way.)
   111. The Well-Tempered Javier Vasquez (loungehead) Posted: March 09, 2011 at 11:14 PM (#3767597)
I have tried the Belgian Red. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed by that one. I might have been expecting too much, but the cherry seemed almost medicinal in taste to me. The Raspberry Tart, though is every bit worth the $8 bottles. Our fridge is rarely without one.
   112. JGLB's Quarantine is a Dome of Sensual Delights Posted: March 09, 2011 at 11:31 PM (#3767612)
I feel truly blessed with the selection of beer I have available to me. The local has 96 tap lines of which around half are rotated in and out, and another 300 or so in the bottle. The owner is so passionate about beer that he's gone to Brew evens at Sierra Nevada, and driven used Bourbon barrels to Terrapin so that they could age beers.
   113. North Side Chicago Expatriate Giants Fan Posted: March 09, 2011 at 11:44 PM (#3767625)
Since we are on beers one of the funniest things I have heard in a bar is a woman walking up and saying "Give me a merkin". I almost spit out my beer before realizing that it was an actual beer, and as it turns out, a pretty good one.

Hah! American? The only place I have ever seen that is at Delilah's in Chicago. They would have $1 cans on special.
   114. North Side Chicago Expatriate Giants Fan Posted: March 09, 2011 at 11:48 PM (#3767632)
I'm with you guys on Bell's Two-Hearted. People go bananas about Oberon, but Two-Hearted is the real winner.
   115. Alex_Lewis Posted: March 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM (#3767643)
Firestone Double Barrel is a favorite of mine. I had some good beers when I lived in Colorado.... For the life of me I can't remember their names. Living nearby(ish) to Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, Russian River Brewing Company, Lagunitas, Firestone, and Rogue is pretty sweet. You other states can suck a lemon.
   116. dr. scott Posted: March 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM (#3767652)
The Rouge alehouse in SF is 1.5 blocks from me. The food is dreadful, but they often have a great list of guest beers, and usually some very good beers of their own. That was where I first tried the Velvet Merkin... from Firestone. You can now buy it in the store, but they changed the name to the Velvet Merlin for bottle distribution.

Alex, are you in SF or just northern CA.
   117. Darren Posted: March 10, 2011 at 01:00 AM (#3767658)
If we're still trying to nail down a good light beer, bud light wheat is surprisingly good. That's coming from someone who doesn't like Bud Light or that sort of beer at all.
   118. Alex_Lewis Posted: March 10, 2011 at 04:54 AM (#3767787)
Sacramento! I'd love to live in SF, but it's rather expensive. I like paying $450 in rent. And I can drive down to SF any time I want!
   119. Drew (Primakov, Gungho Iguanas) Posted: March 10, 2011 at 05:16 AM (#3767789)
Noble Pils. Completely undrinkable.

Several friends and I disagree. ;)
   120. McCoy Posted: March 10, 2011 at 06:29 AM (#3767804)
It's funny, we have a couple of cases of Bud Light Golden Wheat and we can't give it away. Nobody wants to try it. I guess if you are a person that will drink Bud Light you are not likely to go for some "fancy" beer.
   121. PreservedFish Posted: March 10, 2011 at 06:58 AM (#3767806)
I guess if you are a person that will drink Bud Light you are not likely to go for some "fancy" beer.

That makes sense to me. But with the way places like Walmart are ramping up their sale of organic food, and the continuing explosion of wine (seems like 75% of the stock at BevMo), you can't blame Anheuser-Busch for trying to add a little connoisseur's sheen to their product.

The other possibility is that absolutely nobody is convinced that Bud could ever produce a quality product, that even the Bud-pounding philistines realize that if they ever want to try a "fancy" beer, that a Budweiser product is not the way to do it.
   122. Daunte Vicknabbit! Posted: March 10, 2011 at 07:02 AM (#3767808)
OH MY GOD BEER THREAD!

Considering that in about 6 hours I leave on a plane to Boston to attend Extreme Beer Fest, I'd say we've finally hit a topic I know more about than most on Primer. I spent this past summer driving around the country visiting many of America's best breweries and bars and attending festivals and tastings and such. New Glarus is fantastic (their wheat beers and lagers are some of the best made in America), but I think that Wisconsin offers a few other really great and underrated breweries. Tyranena makes fantastic beer in a wide range of styles, their special releases through the Brewers Gone Wild! series are frequently very good and interesting takes on the styles they hit (often porters and stouts but occasionally the oddball chili beer or Belgo-IPA). Capital makes awesome lagers, which are of course completely unappreciated by most people new to craft beer (who only want to drink the most extreme, 100 IBU monster IPAs). Central Waters also makes some very good beer.

The beers listed are mostly OK, but I'm really surprised there's no mention of the park-specific brews at Citi Field. Brooklyn Brewing, as well as (I believe) Sixpoint and some other NYC brewery made beers that are only served at Citi. They all sounded pretty good, although I couldn't stomach the 9 or 10 dollars that they were asking for them. My understanding is that the best beer is at the minor league ballparks; one of the teams in the Twin Cities region serves Surly offerings, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the New England minor league parks had really great beer available. The availability of good beer in America has improved so dramatically in the past five or ten years it's ridiculous. Not all that long ago, even Sam Adams products were fairly regional, but now practically any bar in America devotes a tap to whatever SA seasonal is up. Sierra Nevada and Anchor bottles are available at most places I've been. A good time to be a beer geek.
   123. GregQ Posted: March 10, 2011 at 03:01 PM (#3767910)
I guess if you are a person that will drink Bud Light you are not likely to go for some "fancy" beer.
My brother's father-in-law only drinks bun in 12 oz bottles. Not in cans, not in bigger bottles or any other version of Bud, just 12 oz bottles.

who only want to drink the most extreme, 100 IBU monster IPAs
Welcome to Portland, Or.
   124. JGLB's Quarantine is a Dome of Sensual Delights Posted: March 10, 2011 at 08:51 PM (#3768232)
Issaquah (which is owner by Rogue I believe?) makes some damn fine Belgian style beers. I wish I could get them down here.
   125. JGLB's Quarantine is a Dome of Sensual Delights Posted: March 10, 2011 at 08:54 PM (#3768238)
Noble Pils. Completely undrinkable.

Several friends and I disagree. ;)

If you were close enough for me to give you the 12 pack I got I would.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
dirk
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogVideo shows Tony La Russa may have listened to fan in stands before putting pinch runner in
(7 - 1:07pm, Aug 16)
Last: Itchy Row

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(77 - 1:06pm, Aug 16)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

NewsblogA’s Promote Shea Langeliers, Release Stephen Piscotty
(2 - 12:34pm, Aug 16)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogYankees in desperate need of jolt as feeble slide continues to grow concern
(10 - 12:20pm, Aug 16)
Last: JL72

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(23 - 11:33am, Aug 16)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogTalking Friars on Twitter: List of Tatis Events
(5 - 11:27am, Aug 16)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogEric Hosmer: Fantasy football league back on the rails
(4 - 11:02am, Aug 16)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(40 - 10:53am, Aug 16)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogThe AL MVP race is closer than you think
(34 - 10:38am, Aug 16)
Last: Ithaca2323

NewsblogRangers fire manager Chris Woodward in midst of fourth straight losing season
(24 - 10:29am, Aug 16)
Last: Jaack

Hall of Merit2023 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(172 - 10:10am, Aug 16)
Last: Jaack

NewsblogFernando Tatis Sr. says 'all of baseball' loses with son suspended 80 games for 'something so insignificant'
(1 - 9:38am, Aug 16)

NewsblogHéctor Gómez on Twitter: "The testing on Fernando Tatis Jr. was carried out at the end of March...
(1 - 9:35am, Aug 16)

NewsblogLos Angeles Dodgers starter Walker Buehler will have season-ending elbow surgery next week
(2 - 9:30am, Aug 16)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogFernando Tatis Jr. offers ridiculous lie as excuse for cheating
(17 - 5:37am, Aug 16)
Last: John DiFool2

Page rendered in 0.3111 seconds
45 querie(s) executed