Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 02, 2021

It’s hard to think with all this OMNICHATTER!, August 2, 2021

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Hombre Brotani Posted: August 02, 2021 at 09:15 AM | 12 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Mike Webber Posted: August 02, 2021 at 11:39 AM (#6032164)
Dave, what did you think of Detmers yesterday? Over his head or ready for this level?
   2. Dillon Gee Escape Plan Posted: August 02, 2021 at 01:38 PM (#6032195)
Edit: never mind, wrong day.
   3. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 02, 2021 at 05:55 PM (#6032271)
Dave, what did you think of Detmers yesterday? Over his head or ready for this level?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I like that he's up in the bigs with Marsh, and I think they should get Adell and Rodriguez up as well. Trout doesn't look like he's going to be coming back this season, and neither will Rendon, they're waaaaay back in the WC, so the season's over. Time to play the kids.

He got tagged by Matt Olsen, which just makes him human. I liked that he came back and had a strong next inning. His stuff looked fine, a few of those base hits were just well-placed. The two homers weren't great, but Olsen's Olsen, and Gomes kills lefties. Detmers seems to like to work up in the zone, he worked up way more often than he was down, and he did give up 10 homers in 54 Double-A innings, so that's something to watch out for. Beyond that, it was one game, he had moments. Glad he's up.
   4. Walt Davis Posted: August 02, 2021 at 06:29 PM (#6032288)
Hmmm ... how about a hot prospect hijack.

Adell -- hitting pretty well at AAA but the K-rate is still around 30%

Kelenic -- he's having Adell's 2020 unfortunately. Got off to that atrocious start, went back down and hit, brought back in mid-July and stuck in the lineup ... and has hit 167/262/222 in his second bit with a 35% K-rate. (He's off MLB's list which I think means he's passed the rookie threshold.)

Wander -- his first 130 PAs have gone OK (he's only 20): 250/305/408 with average or better defense (Rfield).

Rutschman -- solid 271/396/498 at AA with a nice low 16% K-rate and as many walks as Ks. Any reports on his defense? My opinion/data poking is that most Cs need the better part of 2 seasons in the high minors to reach a defensive level where teams are comfortable but the Os may not want to wait that long.

Torkelson -- tore it up at A+, having a bit of trouble with BA at AA

Julio Rodriguez -- I'm surprised there hasn't been a Julio Rodriguez in the majors yet but there have been a ton in the minors. This one tore it up at A+ and has a solid 280/410/500 with a 25% K-rate in 61 PA at AA (he's only 20).

Witt -- looking pretty good. 295/369/570 in 279 AA PA; 291/328/527 in 58 AAA PA. Defense? In the old days, you'd give him a cup of coffee this Sept but these days I suppose we'll have to wait until at least the 2nd week of April 2022.

Pitchers? They're all boring and it's only gonna come down to which ones blow out their arms when anyway.

5. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 02, 2021 at 07:56 PM (#6032337)
Adell -- hitting pretty well at AAA but the K-rate is still around 30%
That might always be a problem for him, but the Angels have been running out Justin Upton for years, and I don't think Adell's gonna hit much worse, and he's got upside. Like I keep saying, His awful first impression last year is burned into everyone's skulls, but Adell's still one of the two dozen youngest players in Triple-A.

The Angels have reported talked to Trout about moving off CF for next season. Dunno if that'll happen for 2002, but it looks like it's going to happen at some point. They should just make Adell the RF and let him work it out in garbage time the rest of this season.
   6. shoelesjoe Posted: August 02, 2021 at 08:39 PM (#6032359)
Rutschman -- solid 271/396/498 at AA with a nice low 16% K-rate and as many walks as Ks. Any reports on his defense? My opinion/data poking is that most Cs need the better part of 2 seasons in the high minors to reach a defensive level where teams are comfortable but the Os may not want to wait that long.

Probably among the top 4-5 defensive catchers in the game if he were up right now.
   7. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 02, 2021 at 08:54 PM (#6032366)
Sarah Langs
@SlangsOnSports

Andrew Heaney is the 1st pitcher in Yankees history to allow 4+ HR in his team debut
   8. JJ1986 Posted: August 02, 2021 at 09:11 PM (#6032381)
For some reason I thought Chase Wright gave up the back-to-back-to-back-to-back in his debut.

Edit: Wright is apparently the third most famous person with his own name.
   9. Howie Menckel Posted: August 02, 2021 at 10:01 PM (#6032409)
stray cat on the field at Yankee Stadium going viral in 3-2-1...

7-1 in the 8th, and this cat (no, not the black one from the 1969 Mets-Cubs game; this one is typical stripes,spots) sprints the length of the field, then across the warning track. gets right outside a bullpen door, but the dude there doesn't think to open it.

finally the grounds crew guys trot out there as the crowd goes wild. one guy has one - not two - gloves, which is not recommended.

cat is sprinting like, well, a squirrel in traffic against the outmaneuvered grounds crew. at one point they ask the guy to open the damn door, but this cat is a frigging ninja so he wants no part of it, lol

finally... well, watch the video for the denouement...
   10. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 02, 2021 at 10:08 PM (#6032417)
I think they should get Adell and Rodriguez up as well.
The Angels front office is apparently incorporating random Internet comments into its player development strategy:
The Angels have recalled outfield prospect Jo Adell and right-hander Chris Rodriguez from Triple-A Salt Lake, per a club announcement. Rodriguez, who was in the team’s bullpen earlier this season, will make his first MLB start tonight against the Rangers.
What could go wrong?
   11. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 02, 2021 at 10:35 PM (#6032437)
Rodriguez had a really nice first start, the defense and bullpen failures made his line look much worse than it should be. Adell is slated to start in LF tomorrow night.
   12. Walt Davis Posted: August 03, 2021 at 03:19 AM (#6032473)
The Angels have reported talked to Trout about moving off CF for next season. Dunno if that'll happen for 2002

It was his age 10 season ... those short legs would have had trouble covering CF and you weren't gonna move Erstad anyway. Team managed to do OK without him -- maybe they'll win again when Trout turns 50.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog8th? BBTF Central Park Softball Game: SEPT 18, 2021
(228 - 7:26am, Sep 22)
Last: villageidiom

Sox TherapyShrug
(158 - 7:22am, Sep 22)
Last: villageidiom

Sox TherapyIt's A Sprint, Not A Marathon
(25 - 7:20am, Sep 22)
Last: villageidiom

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(14052 - 6:25am, Sep 22)
Last: .

NewsblogRays grab data card shaken loose from Kirk's wrist, deny Blue Jays' request to return it
(5 - 1:42am, Sep 22)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogKansas City Royals' Salvador Perez breaks Johnny Bench's catcher record with 46th HR
(57 - 1:04am, Sep 22)
Last: baxter

NewsblogVeteran catcher Alex Avila to retire at end of year
(22 - 11:43pm, Sep 21)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4491 - 11:31pm, Sep 21)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogWEEKDAY OMNICHATTER wants you to believe in yourself, for September 20, 2021
(45 - 11:16pm, Sep 21)
Last: The Duke

Gonfalon CubsThis all sucks
(36 - 10:37pm, Sep 21)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogHow Declining Subs For Regional Sports Networks Could Impact MLB Relocation And Expansion
(6 - 9:48pm, Sep 21)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogMets targeting A’s Billy Beane as candidate to run baseball operations
(28 - 9:17pm, Sep 21)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogRemorseful Thom Brennaman deserves to work again now; He’s already suffered 14 months of hell
(83 - 7:44pm, Sep 21)
Last: dejarouehg

NewsblogGuardians to promote outfielder-turned-reliever Anthony Gose
(18 - 7:16pm, Sep 21)
Last: vortex of dissipation

NewsblogIsraeli baseball team wins silver in European Championship, its best result ever
(6 - 6:49pm, Sep 21)
Last: Ron J

Page rendered in 0.2752 seconds
48 querie(s) executed