Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Japanese baseball, a 150-year journey of transformation

That mentality came to baseball accidentally, stemming partly from the success made by Japan’s first national baseball heroes, 24 years after Wilson introduced the game.

The team from “Ichiko,” the academically elite First Higher School of Tokyo, was an organic grass-roots endeavor that adopted some Western ideas that came with the new sport and wed them to the ethos of Japan’s feudal era warrior code.

The treaty port of Yokohama hosted Japan’s first games at least as early as 1871 between American merchants and U.S. Navy sailors. The first Japanese team, the Shimbashi Athletic Club, was formed by American-trained engineer Hiroshi Hiraoka in 1878, among employees of Japan’s first railroad, between Yokohama and Tokyo’s Shimbashi.

Ichiko’s victories over Yokohama-based teams of American adults, sometimes bolstered by sailors, ignited a Japanese interest in the game that remains bright.

Japanese flocked to watch this sports phenomenon, but change was in the wind.

Within a few years, Ichiko was displaced as a power by the Tokyo vocational schools that would evolve into Waseda and Keio universities. Influential Ichiko alumni blamed the current players for dropping the ball.

Although Ichiko’s fall from grace was caused when rising admission standards steered top athletes to other schools, the players’ failure was blamed on their embrace of Western liberal ideas and abandoning their predecessors’ self-sacrificing approach.

Before long, baseball came under attack over the unruly behavior of players and student supporters across the country.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 14, 2022 at 11:48 PM | 1 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: japanese baseball

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. FernandoPoplar Posted: August 16, 2022 at 04:08 AM (#6091836)
This is a great article for students who are interested in sports. I love how the team from Ichiko, the academically elite First Higher School of Tokyo, was an organic grass-roots endeavor that adopted some Western ideas that came with the new sport and wed them to the ethos of Japanese education and now I've ordered my essay with write my essay services which I'm satisfied from their work. It is a fascinating story that highlights the power of collaboration and how new ideas can be adapted and incorporated into existing systems in order to create something truly unique.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogShohei Ohtani to make $30 million in 2023, record amount for arbitration-eligible player
(2 - 4:05am, Oct 03)
Last: John Reynard

NewsblogThere's a new longest last name in MLB history
(8 - 3:23am, Oct 03)
Last: vortex of dissipation

Newsblog2022-23 Preseason NBA thread
(343 - 11:03pm, Oct 02)
Last: rr would lock Shaq's a$$ up

NewsblogOT: Wrestling Thread November 2014
(2538 - 10:47pm, Oct 02)
Last: 57i66135 is a hard word for me.

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of September 26 - October 5, 2022
(198 - 10:21pm, Oct 02)
Last: cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE

NewsblogRoger Maris Jr. blasts MLB, says Aaron Judge’s potential 62nd home run should be single-season record
(96 - 7:34pm, Oct 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogTony La Russa expected to announce retirement Monday as White Sox manager
(1 - 3:55pm, Oct 02)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(288 - 3:29pm, Oct 02)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogTo dream the impossible dream - and then decide it's time to let it go
(41 - 3:14pm, Oct 02)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogOT - October 2022 College Football thread
(48 - 1:49pm, Oct 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogThree impacts of baseball's new 12-team postseason format
(6 - 1:11pm, Oct 02)
Last: bookbook

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(143 - 12:59pm, Oct 02)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogWhy Major League Baseball needs to do a better job of appreciating regular season greatness
(63 - 11:13am, Oct 02)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogMets to call up No. 1 prospect in baseball
(21 - 10:14am, Oct 02)
Last: KronicFatigue

NewsblogOrioles intend to sign new lease committing team to remaining in Baltimore, document says
(6 - 7:58am, Oct 02)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

Page rendered in 0.2051 seconds
48 querie(s) executed