Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, August 08, 2021

Jonathan Schoop, Detroit Tigers reach $15M deal covering 2022, ‘23

Infielder Jonathan Schoop and the Detroit Tigers agreed Saturday to a $15 million, two-year contract covering 2022 and 2023.

Schoop is hitting .289 and has a team-best 64 RBIs. His 18 homers are tied with Eric Haase for the club lead.

Schoop gets $7.5 million annually under the new deal, and he has the right to opt out after the 2022 season to become a free agent.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 08, 2021 at 06:37 PM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: jonathan schoop, tigers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Cooper Nielson Posted: August 09, 2021 at 01:40 AM (#6033504)
As a Tiger fan, I like this. It's not long or expensive, it means there's one less hole to fill this offseason, and he's not blocking anyone. He likes being in Detroit and he's lived up to every expectation so far.

Jonathan Schoop may not drive you to a championship, but he doesn't prevent you from getting there either. I'll be disappointed if this is the last/only "big" move they make though.
   2. escabeche Posted: August 09, 2021 at 04:37 PM (#6033561)
I feel like the Orioles could have kept this guy, a fan favorite who came up through our system, paying him this much without meaningfully impinging on the rebuild in any way, and the team would have been mildly more enjoyable to watch. Instead, we have $7m less payroll and (checks return) Jean Carmona, Luis Ortiz, and Easton Lucas.
   3. Hombre Brotani Posted: August 09, 2021 at 04:52 PM (#6033562)
Schoop is good, and the Tigers are not. I'm surprised he didn't get traded, but now that he's on this very affordable deal, he has even more trade value than before.
   4. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 09, 2021 at 05:25 PM (#6033570)
I'm glad Schoop got paid. He was one of my favorite Orioles along with Manny, and I love to hear my wife try to pronounce his name. ("Scoop?" "Shkoop?" "Shkop?")
   5. Walt Davis Posted: August 09, 2021 at 06:46 PM (#6033588)
he has even more trade value than before.

I'm not sure that's true. He's been on one-year contracts at $7.5 M or less the last 3 years. Plus having signed him, the Tigers are pretty much committed to carrying him until at least the next trading deadline so any trade-value benefit of the 2nd year will be brief. And although he's always been an average-good 2B, this year he's been mostly at 1B. I will grant it's not at all clear why he hasn't been valued more -- other than a short, bad stint in Milw, he's been a 1=WAA player who doesn't even have much of a platoon split. I don't know why that guy can't get a 3/$40 contract but he can't.
   6. The Honorable Ardo Posted: August 09, 2021 at 10:38 PM (#6033614)
Everybody likes this deal. This is exactly what the Tigers should be doing.
   7. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: August 10, 2021 at 12:57 AM (#6033628)
Schoop kind of seemed like one of the few guys who was underpaid in MLB. Glad to see him cash in.
   8. donlock Posted: August 10, 2021 at 01:23 PM (#6033666)
People bashed Dan Douquette for letting his Oriole team fall apart when Machado, Schoop, and Britton were traded for weak prospects in mid 2018. He should have gotten more value for them the winter before or signed them to long term deals. Neither happened.

The Cubs and Nationals are goig to be up against it this winter. The GM should have signed their stars to new contracts or traded them sooner as one year rentals for lots of minor league talent.Didn't happen.

What will occur is what is going on in Detroit and Baltimore. A real shortage of ready talent available from other teams and teh draft and an unwillingness from the stars to re-sign. Cedric Mullins and Trey Mancini of the Orioles are not going to sign team friendly deals and no other team is going to unload minor league talent for them either. and tehn have to sign and pay for new contracts.

Ryan Mountcastle is talented and young but I doubt he will be willing to sign his future away when there seems to be so much $ available for free agents. The one team that overpaid to hang on to their star was Denver and then they couldnt pay him. Detroit with Cabrera and Birds with Chris Davis should be lessons in appeasing the fans and breaking the bank for the future.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOpinion: Atlanta Braves make unfortunate anti-vaccine statement with Travis Tritt as NLCS national anthem singer
(73 - 7:53pm, Oct 25)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(337 - 7:40pm, Oct 25)
Last: 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price

Sox TherapyMeet the 2022 Red Sox
(3 - 7:40pm, Oct 25)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogReport: Yankees' Cole, Gardner had altercation after clubhouse prank
(21 - 6:38pm, Oct 25)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogMLB Just Tried a Bunch of Experimental Rules in the Minors. How Well Did They Work?
(58 - 6:16pm, Oct 25)
Last: .

NewsblogMajor League Baseball work stoppage almost certain on Dec. 2
(1 - 6:01pm, Oct 25)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogSt. Louis Cardinals to hire bench coach Oliver Marmol, 35, as next manager, sources say
(7 - 5:41pm, Oct 25)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogWas This Red Sox Season a Sign of Things to Come, or Just a Surprising One-off?
(20 - 5:22pm, Oct 25)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogCarlton Fisk kept it fair, but Keith Olbermann’s attempt to sell historic ball is foul
(49 - 4:48pm, Oct 25)
Last: Tony S

NewsblogPerth Heat ‘heartbroken’ as Australian Baseball League cancels upcoming season
(6 - 4:26pm, Oct 25)
Last: BDC

NewsblogMets should be all-in on Brian Sabean, winning Giants executive, to run front office
(26 - 2:58pm, Oct 25)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogAtlanta Braves back in World Series for first time since 1999 after upsetting Dodgers in NLCS
(23 - 2:55pm, Oct 25)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogDodgers Albert Pujols Hits the COVID-19 Injured List
(235 - 2:39pm, Oct 25)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

Sox TherapyWhat a Ride
(18 - 1:57pm, Oct 25)
Last: Darren

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(477 - 1:49pm, Oct 25)
Last: Fancy Pants Handle struck out swinging

Page rendered in 0.2003 seconds
48 querie(s) executed