Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 19, 2008

J.P. Ricciardi trashes Adam Dunn on radio show

What is there left to say…

“Do you know the guy doesn’t really like baseball that much?” Ricciardi said to the caller. “Do you know the guy doesn’t have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

“There’s a reason why you’re attracted to some players and there’s a reason why you’re not attracted to some players. I don’t think you’d be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here …

“We’ve done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there’s a reason why we don’t want Adam Dunn. I don’t want to get into specifics.”

...“He’s a lifetime .230, .240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs,” Ricciardi said.

“Yes, he hits home runs, which none of the Toronto Blue Jays are doing,” the caller replied.

That retort triggered Ricciardi’s shot at Dunn as a player who “doesn’t really like baseball that much.”

Repoz Posted: June 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM | 106 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: blue jays, reds

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. flournoy Posted: June 19, 2008 at 07:03 PM (#2826095)
I know that Chipper Jones leads the NL. I assume that Lance Berkman is up near the top, too. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you much about the "top hitters" in either league.
   102. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 19, 2008 at 07:05 PM (#2826098)
We watch baseball because we enjoy it. A professional baseball player, including spring training, will participate (either play or be ready to play) about 200 games a year. It's seven (eight, if his team makes the playoffs) months straight, with very few days off. No five day work weeks and two days off. I can understand why the last thing a player would want to is watch baseball. It must get to be a grind after a while.

During basketball season, I work several games a week. I enjoy it very much, and I've been told by higher ups that I'm very good at what I do, one of the best in the country. I like basketball, I really do. But I much prefer baseball, soccer, or F1, if I want to watch sports. I'll watch college BB games, specifically to watch upcoming teams that are going to be involved in games I'm working. But I never watch an NBA game, and rarely watch a college game if I don't have some professional reason for doing so. Does that affect how well I do my job? Not a bit.
   103. Conor Posted: June 19, 2008 at 07:16 PM (#2826112)
He does play defense, doesn't he? It would help him to know hitters on other teams for that reason alone.

What does knowing the hitters have to do with knowing who the top guys in the league in batting average are?
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogWhat Does Endeavor, Silver Lake’s Push Into Baseball Mean For the Minors?
(14 - 9:59am, Dec 07)
Last: Cris E

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(19 - 9:41am, Dec 07)
Last: Nasty Nate

NewsblogMinnie, Gil, Buck among 6 elected to Hall
(90 - 9:33am, Dec 07)
Last: dark

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(47 - 9:04am, Dec 07)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogMajor League Baseball is headed for a lockout. Is Ted Cruz the only one who can stop it?
(8 - 7:28am, Dec 07)
Last: sotapop

NewsblogRed Sox, Astros Interested In Trevor Story
(3 - 6:08am, Dec 07)
Last: Walt Davis

Hall of MeritJoe DiMaggio
(39 - 2:15am, Dec 07)
Last: The Honorable Ardo

NewsblogA’s reportedly eyeing Tropicana site for possible Strip ballpark
(29 - 12:48am, Dec 07)

NewsblogOT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2021 - January 2022)
(30 - 12:33am, Dec 07)

NewsblogHere is Mets' preliminary list of managerial candidates
(12 - 12:01am, Dec 07)

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1281 - 10:20pm, Dec 06)
Last: spivey 2

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(104 - 9:26pm, Dec 06)
Last: LargeBill

NewsblogOT - NHL Thread
(36 - 8:00pm, Dec 06)
Last: Jose Has Absurd Goosebump Arms

NewsblogBaseball Hall of Fame ballot 2022: Alex Rodriguez, David Ortiz join; Bonds, Clemens, Schilling in final year
(98 - 6:21pm, Dec 06)
Last: dark

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(37 - 1:45pm, Dec 06)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

Page rendered in 0.1826 seconds
48 querie(s) executed