Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, November 19, 2021

Keith Hernandez Promotes Robert Kennedy Jr.‘s Anti-Vaccine Book on Twitter

Former New York Mets great and current broadcaster Keith Hernandez made his Twitter private on Friday after the swift backlash he faced for promoting anti-vaccine conspiracy theories. Hernandez posted a tweet promoting noted anti-vax champion Robert Kennedy Jr.‘s new book.

A segment of the Amazon write-up for the book reads as follows:

The Real Anthony Fauci details how Fauci, Gates, and their cohorts use their control of media outlets, scientific journals, key government and quasi-governmental agencies, global intelligence agencies, and influential scientists and physicians to flood the public with fearful propaganda about COVID-19 virulence and pathogenesis, and to muzzle debate and ruthlessly censor dissent.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 19, 2021 at 04:38 PM | 237 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: keith hernandez

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Karl from NY Posted: November 24, 2021 at 02:46 PM (#6054488)
#111 I know there are still a few RSB alums.

I came from rec.sport.baseball originally too. I found Prospectus and Primer from there, but what I remember more was the Fanhome sabermetrics forum, from which the main thing I remember was Patriot posting analytical stuff, I think mostly about defense.
   202. Ron J Posted: November 24, 2021 at 03:02 PM (#6054491)
14? I am pretty sure he was active in the mid-90s.

Hope he's happy in his "new life".

EDIT: Lacking context that seems odd. Talking Ray. And I know he's an rsb alum. Just not sure when he started there.
   203. . Posted: November 24, 2021 at 03:07 PM (#6054492)
See, here's the thing: The saber-dedicated never even tried to establish, much less established, the critical first principle in all of this which is why anyone should care if baseball teams in aggregate play the "smartest" and "most efficent" way, as opposed to playing some other way. That kind of philosophical rigor is probably beyond them, but still. Like, ok, Joe Morgan is somehow "wrong" about some things, let's stipulate. Who cares and why should anyone care? No effort was ever made to answer that question and it has never been answered.(*)

Bill James probably made some lurches in the direction of "Why should we care?" but ultimately he was motivated by his crankiness and the fact that some organization doing "stupid" things or some award being given to the "wrong" player just pissed him off. That's fine, but it's ultimately just a niche preference, centered around the type of cranks that just get pissed off at random #### in life. And of course, there's a sense in which a fan would prefer his team to be "smart" to his team being "dumb," but that's just in relationship to the other teams, not in the abstract or the aggregate.

That's bad enough in itself, but then all the teams started playing the "smart" and "efficient" way and the game on the field is now a shell of what it used to be under the dominion of the Joe Morgans and the Billy Martins and the Murray Chasses of the world. All that stuff, all that effort, all that mean-spirited ridicule of people like Joe Morgan and Murray Chass and it wound up in ... this.(**) Kind of pretty much the definitive example of misguided, wasted effort. But hard to say some of us didn't warn along the way.

(*) And of course the rampart stormers never even came close to understanding the difference between "facts" and "truth," and I doubt the vast majority of them realize that there are people out there who have even, correctly, posited a difference.

(**) You can't really even bring in a TR-ish "the strenuous life is preferable to the lazier life" because the game on the field is played lazier now and there was no sense in which he was referring to a bunch of eggheads working their brains a little harder, assuming that's even happening.
   204. Hombre Brotani Posted: November 24, 2021 at 04:44 PM (#6054513)
You should go look at Discord, where about half a dozen characters routinely take turns staging hours-long food fights with each other.
That's precisely why I've declined every invitation to join. I need less of that, not more. BUT! people love that stuff, which is why the OTP Politics threads were always monstrously long. The idea that people quit the site because of those arguments is silly. People couldn't wait to wade into them.
   205. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: November 24, 2021 at 05:13 PM (#6054520)
Whatever happened to Ray?

After 14 years he finally packed it in without any warning..... I'm just glad he stuck around long enough to pay off the $1000 election bet he had with me. (Trump against the field, a proposition he offered in 2019.) He may be a bit weird, but at least he's doesn't duck his financial obligations.

So what you are suggesting is that as far as Ray is concerned, it really is over? It's always been over (sorry, that one never gets old!)
   206. McCoy Posted: November 24, 2021 at 09:02 PM (#6054555)
If posters aren't jumping to the tune Andy sets he gets upset.
   207. McCoy Posted: November 24, 2021 at 09:05 PM (#6054556)
The "fights" are over differences of opinions on a subject. Outside of hurling invectives at Ray they are almost never personal and never long lasting. There are of course people who do not like each other and the occasional side snide comment thrown out there from the rafters but the vast majority of people that moved to discord were the people on BTF that could deal with conflict and could move on. Most of the people that couldn't stayed here. Well, until now quite possibly.
   208. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: November 24, 2021 at 09:39 PM (#6054565)
If posters aren't jumping to the tune Andy sets he gets upset.

Have you asked Andy about his betting odds on the 2024 presidential election? I bet he'd be happy to repeatedly offer you some!
   209. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 24, 2021 at 10:29 PM (#6054580)
Have you asked Andy about his betting odds on the 2024 presidential election? I bet he'd be happy to repeatedly offer you some!

Not that you don't know it, but that crowd is all sniff and no scratch. One minute they'll say that they expect Trump to win in 2024,** and the next minute they'll ask for the sort of odds that'd be more fitting for Bernie Sanders or Mike Pence.

** In fairness, I suspect most of them are just playing the old Reverse Jinx gambit, or trembling because of some 2021 polls on a 2024 matchup.
   210. cardsfanboy Posted: November 24, 2021 at 10:34 PM (#6054584)
That's precisely why I've declined every invitation to join.

Just brag about you being invited... nobody loves me enough to even invite me... :(
   211. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: November 24, 2021 at 11:43 PM (#6054592)
You're in luck. Everyone from here is welcome there. Except for SBB.
   212. Greg Pope Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:00 AM (#6054593)
Is this true? I'm not a Battlestar Galactica guy so I can't really comment but it seems to me that even something like Blade Runner 2049 was called a sequel while Star Trek was a reboot. Is that not consistent?

Nope.

Will and Grace called reboot.

Murphy Brown called reboot.

And this List of reboots are all actually sequels or you could call them revivals. But they are pretty consistently called reboots.
   213. tshipman Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:10 AM (#6054594)
Just brag about you being invited... nobody loves me enough to even invite me... :(

I will invite you, cardsfanboy, but only if you post your definitive tier list of fast food.
   214. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:32 AM (#6054595)
You should go look at Discord, where about half a dozen characters routinely take turns staging hours-long food fights with each other. It's much worse there than it used to be here, when the likes of David, RETARDO and Kevin were in full form, because on BTF at least the food fights / flame wars were sometimes amusing. Over there, they're just tedious and neverending. And that's not even counting the endless "your mom" jokes.
This not at all accurately describes Discord, FWIW.
   215. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:45 AM (#6054596)
And it's funny that he says it's worse than it used to here with you and Kevin, because to the small extent what he says about the Discord group is true, it's mostly just kevin doing what he used to back here, but with fewer checks.
   216. McCoy Posted: November 25, 2021 at 07:17 AM (#6054600)
Reboot has meant restart for a very long time. Like forever
   217. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 25, 2021 at 08:05 AM (#6054601)
And it's funny that he says it's worse than it used to here with you and Kevin, because to the small extent what he says about the Discord group is true, it's mostly just kevin doing what he used to back here, but with fewer checks.

If Kevin disappeared from Discord tomorrow, it would reduce the non-sports food fights by about 10%.

----------------------------

You should go look at Discord, where about half a dozen characters routinely take turns staging hours-long food fights with each other. It's much worse there than it used to be here, when the likes of David, RETARDO and Kevin were in full form, because on BTF at least the food fights / flame wars were sometimes amusing. Over there, they're just tedious and neverending. And that's not even counting the endless "your mom" jokes.

This not at all accurately describes Discord, FWIW.

I'd expect that someone who himself participates in some of those hours-long food fights would say that. Check out the starting and ending times of some of your pedantic "I said this" / "No, you said that" / "No, I didn't" / "Yes, you did" disputes with Shipman or Mouse, with few if any others stepping in. And unlike the flamewars you had here with Kevin and RETARDO, they're not even popcornworthy in the least.
   218. . Posted: November 25, 2021 at 08:28 AM (#6054606)
Check out the starting and ending times of some of your pedantic "I said this" / "No, you said that" / "No, I didn't" / "Yes, you did" disputes with Shipman or Mouse

Those sound scintillating. Can we get copies of the transcripts?
   219. Greg Pope Posted: November 25, 2021 at 09:40 AM (#6054607)
Reboot has meant restart for a very long time. Like forever.

Yes, and now it's clearly changed. It happens.
   220. McCoy Posted: November 25, 2021 at 11:20 AM (#6054616)
No it hasn't clearly changed. If you want you can say people changed the meaning 10 years ago or so for movies (specifically Spider Man) to mean pretend nothing existed before but the actual word reboot didn't mean that. It's a computer term that someone glommed onto the movie industry which is very much different than what happened to the word homophobic. Like somebody in the film industry decided "reboot" was a better marketing term than remake or reunion.

221. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM (#6054621)
The "actual word reboot" means to start over. He's saying that it's now being used for a continuation — yes, reunion might work for that. So that would be a change.

Reboot and remake are also different. Remake is to redo the same thing. Reboot is to do a new thing from the same original premise.
   222. McCoy Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:46 PM (#6054622)
Murphy brown ended. They restarted it. Thus "reboot". It's a correct usage.

223. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM (#6054623)
Not that you don't know it, but that crowd is all sniff and no scratch. One minute they'll say that they expect Trump to win in 2024,** and the next minute they'll ask for the sort of odds that'd be more fitting for Bernie Sanders or Mike Pence.
For the benefit of those here who have mercifully forgotten and who aren't on Discord, Andy's m.o. is to claim that something is nearly certain, but then to only offer even odds on it happening.

So (e.g.) someone would say that Trump has a good chance to win in 2020. Andy would sneer at that, say that it would never happen,¹ challenge people repeatedly to bet, and then offer nothing better than an even bet. Which, for obvious reasons, people who thought that it was a tossup weren't interested in, since betting on a coin flip at 50-50 odds isn't particularly interesting.

¹ And demand repeatedly an explanation — "tell me how Trump could possibly win given how bad he is" — and never listen to the answer. We'd point out that Trump won in 2016, and had the same potential path to victory in 2020, and Andy would say, "Yes, but how could he win?"
   224. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: November 25, 2021 at 12:54 PM (#6054625)
Murphy brown ended. They restarted it. Thus "reboot". It's a correct usage.
No. They continued it. When you reboot a computer, it starts over. It doesn't continue doing what it was doing before you turned it off and on. The MB sequel — revival is another valid word choice — is not a new show; it's a continuation of the old show.
   225. McCoy Posted: November 25, 2021 at 01:07 PM (#6054626)
When you reboot a computer you don't get a new computer. You get the same computer with the same operating system and same programs.
   226. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 25, 2021 at 01:42 PM (#6054629)
So (e.g.) someone would say that Trump has a good chance to win in 2020. Andy would sneer at that, say that it would never happen,¹ challenge people repeatedly to bet, and then offer nothing better than an even bet. Which, for obvious reasons, people who thought that it was a tossup weren't interested in, since betting on a coin flip at 50-50 odds isn't particularly interesting

ICYDR it was Ray, not me, who offered the even money bet on Trump in 2020, a bet which I graciously accepted. It's hard to think a libertarian would offer better odds than the ones he already had.

For 2024,Trump is leading Biden in all current polls, and is listed at +300 in the current betting lines. Biden is +425. And yet if it comes down to those two, I'll still take Biden even-up.

As I said: All sniff and no scratch.

¹ And demand repeatedly an explanation — "tell me how Trump could possibly win given how bad he is" — and never listen to the answer. We'd point out that Trump won in 2016, and had the same potential path to victory in 2020, and Andy would say, "Yes, but how could he win?"

Imaginative paraphrasing and literalmindedness always make for an interesting combination. Not hard to tell you're a lawyer. (smile)
   227. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 25, 2021 at 01:52 PM (#6054631)
Guys - is there really a need to turn this thread into an alternate-venue replay of the Discord gripes? Just gripe at each other on Discord.
   228. Mayor Blomberg Posted: November 25, 2021 at 02:15 PM (#6054632)
225: more importantly, I think that when one reboots, one intends to continue what one was doing before rebooting. I don't think one typically speaks of turning on the computer in the morning as rebooting.
   229. bachslunch Posted: November 25, 2021 at 06:26 PM (#6054645)
I was also at r.s.b before finding this site, though was there under a different name. And yeah, I not-so-cordially remember Roger Maynard and his paperboy -- what a loser. Never bothered to argue with him.

Have to admit, my love of baseball has waned some over the last decade. For quite some time, I could have rattled off most of the rosters of every team if asked -- but at some point, there was enough personnel turnaround that I couldn't keep up anymore. The continued descent of the Hall of Fame into utter farce has hastened this disinterest notably. Same's true with NFL football, which I used to follow with almost equal focus, but not much anymore. I'm a person of many interests, and have focused more in other areas lately.

I still want to get to a home game for every franchise in MLB, though. Still need to hit games in Seattle, Arizona, Houston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore -- and if I can add Washington and Texas (I did go to home games for the Montreal Expos and 60s-70s era Washington Senators), that would be perfect. Hoping to do so within the next three years or so. And I still poke in here sometimes, plus I participate a little in the Hall of Merit.
   230. Infinite Yost (Voxter) Posted: November 25, 2021 at 07:47 PM (#6054647)
because to the small extent what he says about the Discord group is true, it's mostly just kevin doing what he used to back here, but with fewer checks.

Christ, kevin is on the discord? There's a 0% chance I want any part of that. This site improved markedly the day his ass was banned.
   231. jingoist Posted: November 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM (#6054662)
Long time lurker; infrequent poster.
I seldom post as
I find I have little to offer that might advance a discussion in a positive direction as many of you guys and gals are light years ahead of me in understanding the nuances of sabremetric conversations.
I do enjoy the pure intelligence that many posters exhibit and the level of repartee which brings me back time after time.

I too have lost much of my fanboy zeal for baseball....could it be because I root for formerly successful and now hopelessly lost teams - Pirates and Orioles.
Probably, but I am also much less enthusiastic about life in general as I am now 76 and on that long slow slide into decrepitude.
4 knee replacement surgeries and a spinal fusion surgery in 4 years will do that to you.
On to sunnier topics.
By the way.....this site is not broken, just a little tattered around the edges.
Like yours truly.
   232. Adam Starblind Posted: November 26, 2021 at 12:37 PM (#6054668)
Interesting to see the individual takes on why the site isn’t what it used to be. They all resonate, with some obviously truer for some than for others.

For me it’s the total dispersion of good Mets fan posters. Sam M. ran off after a debate about the Federal Rules of Evidence. Chris Dial doesn’t show up much anymore if ever, though he was always just kind of mean (good analyst though). Billyshears never posted *that* much but Would regularly come in with an excellent post. There were two really young guys, one of whom (Matt Gelb) is now a writer for The Athletic. Elvis sticks to his own successful blog (Mets360). Russian is still here but doesn’t post much about the Mets. A lot of brainpower to lose.
   233. Mayor Blomberg Posted: November 26, 2021 at 12:39 PM (#6054670)
Sorry to hear that, jingoist. Be good to yourself.
   234. The Duke Posted: November 26, 2021 at 05:21 PM (#6054693)
One of the obvious issues of less participation aside from Twitter and people getting older is that baseball itself isn’t as popular anymore. NFL attendance started to decline a few years back and I didn’t think baseball would follow because there were some unique things going on there but it appears that baseball attendance and interest is surely declining. The next couple years will validate that (or not).

I love going to see the jumbos shrimp in Jacksonville. It’s fun like going to a game used to be. I had season tickets in Atlanta and the games were so boring. The best part was watching the Freeze do his thing in between innings. As Ted Simmons said in his Hall speech, this can’t last. It has to change, but it’s drained a lot of interest in the sport.

I still love it but I’ve found that I had to buy an MLBtv subscription and then watch the game in the morning by fast-forwarding between pitches. If you’ve never tried this, you can watch a game in about an hour - it’s quite entertaining except that the commentary is all chopped up.
   235. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: November 26, 2021 at 08:02 PM (#6054714)
If you go to https://baseball.theater/games/20211003, you can watch any game from the last day of the season in a condensed version, usually in less than ten minutes, or you can watch all the highlights separately without having to wait through one commercial after another, unlike on mlb.com. You can change the calendar to watch any game of the year, or any game from 7/17/2020 to the end of the 2020 season.
   236. Hot Wheeling American Posted: November 26, 2021 at 09:43 PM (#6054720)
Don't forget about the legacyquel, folks.
   237. Tubbs is Bobby Grich when he flys off the handle Posted: November 28, 2021 at 09:39 AM (#6054977)
These comments have been interesting to read through. I set up my profile back in June 2012. I can’t remember how I discovered this site but I do remember djordan posting the John D’Acquisto articles were always a highlight back then. I used to be more active but now I rarely comment outside of participating in DL from MN’s MMP elections. I also occasionally post in the OT Wrestling thread which unlike the OT Basketball thread is pretty inactive-it’s generally just myself or we all water; we all 57i66135 posting. I was looking at an old thread for the 1987 MMP election recently and did notice many of the users commenting on the thread have either left or are much less active
https://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/hall_of_merit/discussion/1987_ballot_discussion
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMLB, union stopped blood testing for HGH due to pandemic
(23 - 4:31am, Dec 03)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1250 - 3:32am, Dec 03)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogThe 100 Best Baseball Books Ever Written
(73 - 11:54pm, Dec 02)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogFormer Cy Young Winner LaMarr Hoyt Reportedly Dies At 66
(56 - 11:02pm, Dec 02)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogReport: MLB Owners Vote Unanimously to Institute Lockout
(31 - 9:57pm, Dec 02)
Last: bookbook

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(9 - 9:27pm, Dec 02)
Last: Jose Has Absurd Goosebump Arms

NewsblogSources: Boston Red Sox in agreement with Rich Hill
(16 - 9:19pm, Dec 02)
Last: villageidiom

NewsblogA’s reportedly eyeing Tropicana site for possible Strip ballpark
(21 - 8:01pm, Dec 02)
Last: Walt Davis

Newsblog'Chicago!' Stroman says he's joining Cubs
(48 - 7:27pm, Dec 02)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogDoes Major League Baseball need an offseason transaction deadline?
(6 - 6:53pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogMarcell Ozuna was choking wife as cops burst in, police video shows
(32 - 6:50pm, Dec 02)

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(27 - 5:27pm, Dec 02)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(67 - 5:12pm, Dec 02)
Last: taxandbeerguy

NewsblogSources - Cy Young winner Robbie Ray, Seattle Mariners finalizing $115 million contract
(9 - 4:40pm, Dec 02)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogJackie Bradley, Jr. back to Boston in deal with Crew
(17 - 3:15pm, Dec 02)
Last: Walt Davis

Page rendered in 0.2782 seconds
48 querie(s) executed