Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Marlins to install artificial turf, move in fences for 2020 season

The Miami Marlins will join Major League Baseball’s trend toward artificial turf by installing the surface at Marlins Park for 2020, and they’ll move in the fences for the second time in four years.

CEO Derek Jeter said an artificial surface solves the challenge the Marlins have had growing grass in the retractable-roof stadium since it opened in 2012. They’ll install the same turf used by the Arizona Diamondbacks and Texas Rangers.

Five of the 30 teams in the majors now will have artificial turf. Arizona added it this year, joining Toronto and Tampa Bay. Texas’ new ballpark opens in 2020.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 04, 2019 at 03:36 PM | 29 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: marlins

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Brian C Posted: December 04, 2019 at 06:36 PM (#5905730)
CEO Derek Jeter said an artificial surface solves the challenge the Marlins have had growing grass in the retractable-roof stadium since it opened in 2012.

Story checks out - south Florida is a notoriously difficult place to get vegetation to grow.
   2. Itchy Row Posted: December 04, 2019 at 07:51 PM (#5905738)
Moving the fences in is the next step in becoming a competitive Little League team.
   3. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: December 04, 2019 at 07:58 PM (#5905740)
Moving the fences in is the next step in becoming a competitive Little League team.

Not if your hitters are worse than the Miami Subs Bulldogs.
   4. SoSH U at work Posted: December 04, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5905746)
If a team like the Marlins is going to install turf (and I have no problem with that), then they ought to couple it with moving the fences out. That way they can give themselves the chance to build an old Royals/Cards style team with players who may not have as much value elsewhere.
   5. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: December 04, 2019 at 08:31 PM (#5905748)
I am assuming they are not installing AstroTurf, but instead that modern turf which looks like grass and plays very much like grass. So it's not going to be conducive to building a speed roster.

Why the #### is anyone moving their fences in in 2019? Lunacy.
   6. RJ in TO Posted: December 04, 2019 at 08:35 PM (#5905749)
I'd prefer it if they installed the old school AstroTurf, as it was always good for a couple laughs a season when some outfielder unfamiliar with its properties would have a ball unexpectedly bounce over his head.
   7. Jack Sommers Posted: December 04, 2019 at 10:24 PM (#5905775)
If a team like the Marlins is going to install turf (and I have no problem with that), then they ought to couple it with moving the fences out. That way they can give themselves the chance to build an old Royals/Cards style team with players who may not have as much value elsewhere.

As #5 said, the stuff they are installing is not fast....it's actually slow. At least the stuff they put in Chase Field was slow.
   8. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: December 04, 2019 at 10:29 PM (#5905778)
Some creative ownership group should cover their field in that recycled tire stuff that they make playgrounds out of. Nobody gets hurt diving, saves outfielder's knees (Andre Dawson would approve), plus fielders get an extra inch or two when jumping to make plays.
   9. SoSH U at work Posted: December 04, 2019 at 10:33 PM (#5905779)
As #5 said, the stuff they are installing is not fast....it's actually slow. At least the stuff they put in Chase Field was slow.

Then install the fast stuff.
   10. Walt Davis Posted: December 04, 2019 at 11:25 PM (#5905788)

Rob Manfred assure us they are within the stated tolerances so there's no issue.

a couple laughs a season when some outfielder unfamiliar with its properties would have a ball unexpectedly bounce over his head.

I suspect laughs will not be in short supply in Miami in 2020.
   11. Bote Man Posted: December 05, 2019 at 12:06 AM (#5905795)

To keep up the home run numbers when the ball is magically de-juiced next year, even though MLB has no control over any aspect of that via their subsidiary Rawlings.
   12. Jose Goes to Absurd Lengths for 50K Posted: December 05, 2019 at 09:29 AM (#5905834)
I'd prefer it if they installed the old school AstroTurf, as it was always good for a couple laughs a season when some outfielder unfamiliar with its properties would have a ball unexpectedly bounce over his head.

God yes. I want the old cutouts at the bases and the lines showing where the infield should be. It would be excellent.
   13. Traderdave Posted: December 05, 2019 at 09:42 AM (#5905838)
At first glance I thought it said "remove" fences, which with 70's style fast turf would be fun as hell.

Astroturf is ugly, but astroturf baseball is wonderful.
   14. flournoy Posted: December 05, 2019 at 09:44 AM (#5905840)
Some creative ownership group should cover their field in that recycled tire stuff that they make playgrounds out of.

That's what they use for "dirt" on these types of fields.
   15. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 05, 2019 at 09:46 AM (#5905842)
Ugg. I hate that artificial surfaces are making a comeback.
   16. SoSH U at work Posted: December 05, 2019 at 09:55 AM (#5905847)
Astroturf is ugly, but astroturf baseball is wonderful.

Yup. I wouldn't want it to be universal, obviously. But the turf/big ballpark combo allowed for two very different means of team building, which is undeniably a good thing for the sport.

17. Karl from NY Posted: December 05, 2019 at 03:58 PM (#5906018)

Not exactly 2019, but the Mets did around 2012, at David Wright's request, because he thought it was too hard to hit home runs.

Offering hitters an easier place to hit HR is a real reason (although it's not like the Marlins exactly compete to sign HR hitters.)
   18. SoSH U at work Posted: December 05, 2019 at 04:28 PM (#5906041)
Offering hitters an easier place to hit HR is a real reason

It is. It's not a good reason to move in the fences, but it is a reason.

When you offer hitters an easier place to hit HR, you also offer your pitchers an easier place to give them up.

19. flournoy Posted: December 05, 2019 at 04:38 PM (#5906049)
I think free agent hitters are likely to be more valuable than free agent pitchers. So to attract the players who get to choose their employers, a hitter-friendly park is a plus. But as Karl said, the Marlins aren't known for signing big free agents.
   20. SoSH U at work Posted: December 05, 2019 at 05:06 PM (#5906067)
I think free agent hitters are likely to be more valuable than free agent pitchers.

And pitchers get hurt, which I think is far more meaningful. More homers equals more pitches equals more visits to Dr. Andrews. Give me a pitcher's park over a bandbox any day.
   21. Buck Coats Posted: December 05, 2019 at 05:16 PM (#5906073)
I know everybody blames the balls, but I think the new parks play a part in the home run surge - every ballpark is better for hitters
than it used to be, and every time a team makes a change to their park they bring the fences in.
   22. Bote Man Posted: December 05, 2019 at 05:21 PM (#5906075)
Park Factors.
   23. Cris E Posted: December 05, 2019 at 06:17 PM (#5906088)
Instead of moving the fences in they should raise the elevation of the park a few thousand feet. That'd bring the fans in.
   24. KronicFatigue Posted: December 05, 2019 at 06:45 PM (#5906092)

I always felt that this is the best opportunity for Moneyball 2.0. Now that everyone knows that on base percentage is universally valuable, it's hard (impossible?) to find undervalued guys. BUT, if you make your ballpark unique in any way, you can create that disparate value. And the early 80's cardinals were just a drop ahead of my time, but the idea of their roster construction was always fascinating to me.

My perfect Moneyball 2.0 ballpark would have huge outfields, huge amounts of foul territory and that fast turf. I'd gobble up all the pitchers who give up too many home runs but are otherwise okay. I'd go for Juan Pierre speedy players who no longer have much value in this home run happy league. I'd carry less pitchers and more platoon hitters. Lots of defense in the infield.

And they would all learn to bunt against the shift.
   25. Bote Man Posted: December 05, 2019 at 06:58 PM (#5906093)
BUT, if you make your ballpark unique in any way

Like painting the walls gaudy lime green? An animated sea life sculpture that comes to life when your team hits a home run? Real grass that is nourished by the sunshine pouring through the open retractable roof during the day? The Marlins aint havin it!!
   26. Khrushin it bro Posted: December 05, 2019 at 08:27 PM (#5906104)
Moneyball 2.0 ballpark would have huge outfields, huge amounts of foul territory

Sounds like the current A's team, they even have a lot of defense in the infield and flyball pitchers.
   27. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: December 05, 2019 at 08:30 PM (#5906105)
And they would all learn to bunt against the shift.

Who TF would shift against Juan Pierre?
   28. Swoboda is freedom Posted: December 06, 2019 at 09:04 AM (#5906166)
Move the fences in, but make the fences really high (Green Monster level high). Make the fences out of glass so people can sit behind them.
   29. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 06, 2019 at 10:16 AM (#5906192)
My favorite thing the 80s video game Earl Weaver Baseball was you could customize your ballpark. My buddy made a humongous ballpark with the max distances allowed (he dubbed it CIRCUS MAXIMUS), and I made the tiniest one you could make (Pee Wee Reese Stadium), and we played a series against each other.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Chicago Joe
for his generous support.