Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 14, 2019

MLB minimum salary rises $8,500 to $563,500 next season

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — The major league minimum salary will rise to $563,500 next season, a hike of $8,500.

Under Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement with the players’ association, the minimum was $535,000 in 2017, $545,000 in 2018 and $555,000 this year. In the final two seasons of the five-year deal, the increase is calculated as the rise from October to October in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers. The October 2019 figure was announced Wednesday by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

We discuss the high end of MLB salaries quite a bit here- here is some information concerning the low end.

QLE Posted: November 14, 2019 at 12:53 AM | 26 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minimum salary

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. DL from MN Posted: November 14, 2019 at 09:27 AM (#5901047)
Anyone want to bet MLB revenues are rising faster than the CPI?
   2. eric Posted: November 14, 2019 at 09:46 AM (#5901055)
Are expenses other than salaries rising faster or slower than revenue? And, if MLB revenues were dropping, would the implied point then be that minimum salaries should therefore drop, as well? My workplace--a very large, very profitable, well-known company--doesn't guarantee any sort of raise at all year-over-year. Getting a guaranteed CPI-adjusted raise is doing quite ok.
   3. DL from MN Posted: November 14, 2019 at 09:54 AM (#5901058)
My workplace--a very large, very profitable, well-known company--doesn't guarantee any sort of raise at all year-over-year.

Are you represented by a powerful union?
   4. kubiwan Posted: November 14, 2019 at 10:51 AM (#5901078)
Are you represented by a powerful union?

Are baseball players?
   5. bfan Posted: November 14, 2019 at 12:11 PM (#5901118)
Anyone want to bet MLB revenues are rising faster than the CPI?

Gross or net; there is quite a difference.
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: November 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5901123)
Are expenses other than salaries rising faster or slower than revenue? And, if MLB revenues were dropping, would the implied point then be that minimum salaries should therefore drop, as well? My workplace--a very large, very profitable, well-known company--doesn't guarantee any sort of raise at all year-over-year. Getting a guaranteed CPI-adjusted raise is doing quite ok.

Ummm, you're not prevented from going to work for your firm's competitors. You are free to seek a higher salary elsewhere. Major leaguers under the Reserve Clause can't.
   7. The Yankee Clapper Posted: November 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5901124)
The Kansas City Royals are being sold for ONE BILLION DOLLARS. Of course MLB is awash in dough, although owners have been claiming to be going broke for more than 100 years.
   8. JRVJ Posted: November 14, 2019 at 01:23 PM (#5901145)
I'm sorry, but I don't get the above comments.

The minimum salary only increased by US$8,500, because the indicator that was used was CPI. It sure seems to me that MLBPA negotiated a bad CBA, but how in the world is this news at this point?
   9. Zonk Has Two Faces, Both Laughing Posted: November 14, 2019 at 01:29 PM (#5901147)
The minimum salary only increased by US$8,500, because the indicator that was used was CPI. It sure seems to me that MLBPA negotiated a bad CBA, but how in the world is this news at this point?

Yeesh.... I agree... does this mean I'm becoming part of the elites? A pawn of the owners? A hater of highly paid pro athletes?

MLB and the MLBPA negotiated a methodology that would be used to determine the minimum MLB salary. That methodology yielded an 8.5K increase for next year.

What's the problem?

Much as I agree that the 30 individuals and consortium can go to hell with their poor mouth whining, this has nothing to do with the negotiated salary for players subject to it under the CBA... if said players have a problem with it (and I think they should) - take it up with the MLBPA.
   10. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: November 14, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5901155)
Ummm, you're not prevented from going to work for your firm's competitors. You are free to seek a higher salary elsewhere. Major leaguers under the Reserve Clause can't.

Lots of people are prevented from going to work for their firm's competitors. It's called a non-compete clause.
   11. Karl from NY Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5901162)
It sure seems to me that MLBPA negotiated a bad CBA

This happens with every CBA: each new CBA enacts a large jump in the minimum, but then provides for small minimum increases over the subsequent years.

Here's why. When a new CBA is being negotiated, any MLBPA member making the minimum stands to gain from increasing it, so that's what they advocate and vote for. But subsequent increases to the minimum mostly tend to benefit future entries to the league who are not yet MLBPA members and voters, so there's no reason for current members to vote for that.

Players tend not to play for the minimum for very long; they either get better or drop out of the league. So there's little reason for MLBPA members voting on a CBA to want to increase the minimum several years hence, since the beneficiaries will be future members more so than themselves. This is rational behavior by MLBPA voters.
   12. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:17 PM (#5901164)
Lots of people are prevented from going to work for their firm's competitors. It's called a non-compete clause.

For how long? Six months? And firms usually have to pay you during the "gardening leave". For MLBers it last forever.
   13. Scott Lange Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:24 PM (#5901168)

For how long? Six months? And firms usually have to pay you during the "gardening leave". For MLBers it last forever.

Also, non-competes are generally anti-competitive pie-shrinking bullshit even for those who have them. They are almost always dictated by an employer to an employee with far less bargaining power as a way to control that employee's actions. They are bad for taxpayers, bad for businesses, bad for employees - everyone except the controlling company itself. Check out Vox for an article on how California built a tech paradise by disfavoring them in the law.
   14. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:26 PM (#5901169)

Most people are at-will employees. For those with contracts, not all have non-competes. And for those in California, non-competes are essentially illegal.
   15. Misirlou gave her his Vincent to ride Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5901172)
Airlines have a de facto non-compete. Pilots cannot move from one company to another without losing all their seniority and everything that goes with it. If you are a 777 captain with 25 years seniority at American and you want to go work for United, you become the most junior co-pilot on the smallest (and thus lowest paying) plane in their fleet.
   16. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5901173)

For most people with non-competes, it's also not indefinite. 30-90 days is pretty typical in finance. Executives or people who really have trade secrets might have something longer than that.
   17. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: November 14, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5901174)

You can negotiate and avoid a non-compete.

I can't be a baseball player and negotiate my way out of the CBA.
   18. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: November 14, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5901187)
For most people with non-competes, it's also not indefinite. 30-90 days is pretty typical in finance. Executives or people who really have trade secrets might have something longer than that.

Or if you make sandwiches at Jimmy John's you are required to sign a 2 year non-compete.
   19. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: November 14, 2019 at 03:28 PM (#5901195)

LOL, this is the most BTF comment ever.
   20. catomi01 Posted: November 14, 2019 at 05:25 PM (#5901213)
Not a lawyer, but in my experience (NY), almost every non-compete we've run across has been poorly written enough that a decent lawyer can get it amended or thrown out very quickly...most seem to be more bark than bite and are dependent on the signing employee thinking its an iron glad shackle instead of a couple of rolls of masking tape.
   21. Karl from NY Posted: November 14, 2019 at 05:33 PM (#5901216)
I can't be a baseball player and negotiate my way out of the CBA.

Sure you can. Try the Atlantic League.
   22. The Good Face Posted: November 14, 2019 at 05:35 PM (#5901217)
Also, non-competes are generally anti-competitive pie-shrinking bullshit even for those who have them. They are almost always dictated by an employer to an employee with far less bargaining power as a way to control that employee's actions. They are bad for taxpayers, bad for businesses, bad for employees - everyone except the controlling company itself. Check out Vox for an article on how California built a tech paradise by disfavoring them in the law.

Non-competes are essentially just an attempt by corporations to lower wages/slow wage growth.
   23. JRVJ Posted: November 14, 2019 at 06:18 PM (#5901224)
11, then this turns this story into even more of a nothing burger.
   24. Obo Posted: November 14, 2019 at 08:55 PM (#5901268)
MLB minimum salary rises $8,500 to $563,500 next season

That's a pretty large range.
   25. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 14, 2019 at 10:12 PM (#5901286)
11, then this turns this story into even more of a nothing burger.
From what I hear, nothing burgers are way better now. Apparently they taste just like something burgers.
   26. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: November 15, 2019 at 09:09 AM (#5901354)
From what I hear, nothing burgers are way better now. Apparently they taste just like something burgers.

Impossible.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.