Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, March 27, 2020

MLB, players agree to $170M deal on early season pay, cut down draft

Major League Baseball and the players association have reached a tentative agreement regarding several issues surrounding a potentially shortened or canceled season, sources confirm to Yahoo Sports’ Tim Brown.

ESPN’s Jeff Passan first reported the deal Thursday night.

MLB owners have agreed to advance players portions of salaries to be spread out over April and May. If there is no season, that money will be kept by the players. Each of the 30 teams will contribute just short of $95,000 per day to eligible players for 60 days or until start of 2020 season, not to exceed $170 million. The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal adds that salaries will be pro-rated based on length of season, and players have agreed not to sue for full salaries.

As previously reported, the players would accrue a full year of service time if they are active for the shortened season. If the season is canceled, players would gain the same amount of service time they accrued in 2019, which is important because it means players like Mookie Betts or Trevor Bauer would become free agents as scheduled.

QLE Posted: March 27, 2020 at 12:49 AM | 31 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: draft, free agency, labor issues, negotiations, salaries, service time, shortened season

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: March 27, 2020 at 01:04 AM (#5933924)
players like Mookie Betts or Trevor Bauer would become free agents as scheduled.

So the Red Sox could have NOT paid Mookie and he'd still be on the team. So anticipating a world pandemic in order to not have to trade the 2nd best player in baseball is another thing the Red Sox suck at.
   2. Walt Davis Posted: March 27, 2020 at 02:45 AM (#5933931)
Am I missing something because that doesn't seem like a lot. Total payroll last year would have been on the order of $3.5 B so this is 5% of that. But "If there is no season, that money will be kept by the players" suggests that's all they get if there is no season and, if there is, then they don't get to keep it so, what, it gets deducted from whatever they get paid when games are on?? Granted 5% of a full year's salary is more than most laid off folks will get from their employers but it seems a much smaller slice for the players than other pro sports leagues have been talking about. (Not that I've paid much attention to that.)

Is MLBPA responsible for dividing the money and will they then put proportionally more of it to the pre-arb players?
   3. Fancy Pants Handle struck out swinging Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:34 AM (#5933933)
In a surprise to no one, MLBPA once again sells out pre-MLB and pre-arbitration players. Film at 11.
   4. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: March 27, 2020 at 07:19 AM (#5933935)
So the Red Sox could have NOT paid Mookie and he'd still be on the team. So anticipating a world pandemic in order to not have to trade the 2nd best player in baseball is another thing the Red Sox suck at.
He'd be a free agent at the end of the year, so the real question is whether the package they got (minus David Price and the cash they're sending to LA) is better than draft pick compensation.

It will be fun to run a counterfactual 2019/2020 hot stove league -- how would teams have behaved if they knew there would be no 2020 season?
   5. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: March 27, 2020 at 07:30 AM (#5933936)
In the deal, MLB has the right to shorten the 2020 draft to five rounds, sources tell ESPN.
My understanding is that players eligible for the draft who don't get drafted become free agents, unless they enroll in or return to a juco or 4 year college. Looking at the 2010 draft, 14 players from the 6th round have played in MLB, 6 from the 7th round, 7 from the 8th round. Three of these players (Corey Dickerson, Kole Calhoun, Kevin Gausman) have put up 10+ WAR. I wonder if MLB would actually go through with a 5 round draft and if the rules would stay as they are. If so, there could be a reasonable number of useful prospects floating around as amateur free agents.

EDIT: deGrom was drafted in the 9th round of 2010. (Whit Merrifield too.) Joc Pederson in the 11th round, Robbie Ray (8.8 WAR) in the 12th. Jon Gray in the 13th. Cody Allen (8.4 WAR) in the 16th. Kris Bryant in the 18th, but he went back to school.
   6. Adam Starblind Posted: March 27, 2020 at 07:52 AM (#5933940)
I hadn't realized this, and I was wondering if the teams were just going to be hemorrhaging cash, but apparently the uniform players' contract gives the Commissioner the right to suspend every contract during a national emergency.
   7. DL from MN Posted: March 27, 2020 at 08:35 AM (#5933955)
players eligible for the draft who don't get drafted become free agents

I think the other half of this is limiting bonuses of undrafted free agents to $10,000
   8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 27, 2020 at 09:02 AM (#5933962)
This seems like a terrible deal for the players. Does the union not have cash reserves to help out players? This seems motivated in getting that $170M.
   9. Howie Menckel Posted: March 27, 2020 at 09:38 AM (#5933971)
I am POUNDING the Under here:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
31m
Best-case would be late May start. Hope is still for about 140 games. Regular season would go into mid October. Changes to add games would include doubieheaders, fewer off days and expanded rosters.
   10. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: March 27, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5933976)
They could reasonably play 80 games and playoffs.

11. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 27, 2020 at 10:13 AM (#5933982)
He'd be a free agent at the end of the year, so the real question is whether the package they got (minus David Price and the cash they're sending to LA) is better than draft pick compensation.
If there's no season, the Dodgers have to be able to rescind the trade or get other compensation.
   12. Rally Posted: March 27, 2020 at 10:15 AM (#5933984)
You can argue that Red Sox screwed up and would be better off with 162 games of Mookie instead of getting the other players and having the Dodgers pay Price.

If there is no season, or a very limited season, seems to me the Red Sox made out great. I don’t see how you could argue otherwise. Ok, they wouldn’t pay Mookie, but he’d be playing no more games for the 2020 Red Sox than he would after the trade in a world without COVID-19.

Would the Dodgers make the trade if they knew 2020 would be cancelled or greatly reduced? Not a chance in hell.
   13. Karl from NY Posted: March 27, 2020 at 03:55 PM (#5934180)
Here's something that wasn't in this article but is in this report: https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/03/27/mlbpa-service-time-coronavirus-delay-draft
"According to Passan, the agreement says that games won't resume until there are no bans on mass gatherings that would limit the ability to play in front of fans"

So they won't do empty stadiums. Anyone seen any other reports on that bit?

14. Ziggy is done with Dominican discotheques Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:08 PM (#5934186)
I wonder if this wasn't a mistake on the part of the owners. The CBA is expiring soon. If they'd had Manfred invoke the "players don't get paid during emergencies" clause, and refused to grant service time, the worst outcome they get is that the players sue for service time and win. Which would be better for the owners than this deal. But, and this is the main point, when the CBA expires, if they hadn't cut a deal with the players they would have extra bullets to fire: they could offer back pay or (if the players lose their lawsuit) service time for 2020. As it is, the owners no longer have service time to offer, and so are in a weaker bargaining position.
   15. PreservedFish Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:18 PM (#5934192)
Yeah, it's totally a shame that they didn't take greedy advantage of a global tragedy to the greatest expense possible. What the ####. Are you a real person?
   16. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:30 PM (#5934199)
If there's no season, the Dodgers have to be able to rescind the trade or get other compensation.
I don’t think anything would prevent MLB from compensating the Dodgers out of the Commissioner’s Slush Fund, but there isn’t any reason that the players should take the hit for that.
   17. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:40 PM (#5934208)
What hit would the players be taking? By "compensation" I meant something like the Red Sox sending other players if not returning the ones originally involved, or additional draft picks, or something like that.
   18. Karl from NY Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:43 PM (#5934210)

Why do they have to? It happens all the time that teams trade for a player then can't use him, for injury or suckiness or whatever.
   19. Buck Coats Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:49 PM (#5934216)
"According to Passan, the agreement says that games won't resume until there are no bans on mass gatherings that would limit the ability to play in front of fans"

Passan does add that the two sides "will consider the feasibility of playing in empty stadiums"
so ??
   20. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:50 PM (#5934217)
If they'd had Manfred invoke the "players don't get paid during emergencies" clause, and refused to grant service time, the worst outcome they get is that the players sue for service time and win.
The players would also sue for their full wages. Whether they’d win might be iffy, but it wouldn’t be a trivial lawsuit. The players could also balk on any number of issues, now and in the next CBA. Presumably MLB & the MLBPA realize they have a common interest going forward, which requires concessions on both sides.
   21. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 27, 2020 at 04:59 PM (#5934225)
Why do they have to? It happens all the time that teams trade for a player then can't use him, for injury or suckiness or whatever.
Right, but there's actually a baseball season going on in those cases.
   22. Karl from NY Posted: March 27, 2020 at 05:21 PM (#5934231)
How about strike/lockout seasons? Nobody got trades rescinded for that, did they? Not even when the NHL lost an entire season, right?
   23. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 27, 2020 at 05:31 PM (#5934238)
I'm not saying all trades - just trades in which one side ended up getting nothing due to no season/impending free agency. There can't be that many cases like that.
   24. Walt Davis Posted: March 27, 2020 at 06:48 PM (#5934266)
But the Dodgers still get Price and heaps of cash from the Red Sox ... which you, I, the Dodgers, the Red Sox and MLB all know is a negative compared with what they gave up but is still a "trade" ... and MLB is not in the habit of acknowledging "boy, that's a terrible and unfair trade." (Unless Kuhn is back from the dead.) I know what you're saying (and I think I even said it myself) and if it was just Mookie going from Bos to LA I think there would be cause to undo the trade.

Now ... do the Red Sox pay the full $16 M this year? By the logic that the trade stands, it seems they should still have to fork over the full $48 M they agreed to in which case, if this season is cancelled, the Dodgers end up getting 2 years of Price for about $16 M which is nice. (Were the Red Sox also covering a bit of Mookie?)
   25. puck Posted: March 27, 2020 at 07:09 PM (#5934271)
Does the season count for resetting the Red Sox luxury tax thingamajig? They could make Mookie a big offer in the offseason and sign him back.
   26. eric Posted: March 27, 2020 at 08:39 PM (#5934295)
Does the season count for resetting the Red Sox luxury tax thingamajig? They could make Mookie a big offer in the offseason and sign him back.

So, if this season doesn't happen, and Mookie resigns with the Sox and plays out his career there...would he still be a one-team player?
   27. Blastin Posted: March 27, 2020 at 08:49 PM (#5934302)
I am also curious about the luxury tax.

Cabrera is not getting 3,000 hits. Book it.

I think we get about 60 weird games and some playoffs. Some fan-less games (fine with me!). Maybe fans only in the playoffs, depending on if a treatment has been found.
   28. bbmck Posted: March 27, 2020 at 09:51 PM (#5934318)
Is Jeff Bagwell a one-team player? Is Ryan Howard a one-team player? If you only count MLB games then they and Mookie and quite possibly Felix Hernandez are one-team players, if you hold it to a stricter standard, especially pitchers tend to sign with other franchises at the end of the career and fail to make the big league club.

Miggy is still a lock for 3000, Tigers show no signs of contention so will let Miggy do a Ryan Howard impression for 185 more Hits with 3 seasons and 2020 still on his contract.
   29. The Yankee Clapper Posted: March 27, 2020 at 10:25 PM (#5934326)
I am also curious about the luxury tax.
Reportedly, there will be no Competitive Balance Tax if the season is canceled.
   30. Karl from NY Posted: March 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM (#5934444)
Obviously nobody would pay tax if they're not actually paying the salaries*, but the question was whether the missed season would count as resetting the consecutive-offender penalty. I can see good arguments both ways.

(*fun hypothetical: what if somebody's payroll was so crazy that even paying this 5% deal triggered the tax)
   31. McCoy Posted: March 28, 2020 at 01:26 PM (#5934456)
Kris Bryant engineered the coronavirus pandemic to cost the Cubs games.

See, this is why you don't play service time games. You never know when a pandemic will hit.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.