Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 29, 2021

MLBPA open to discuss pulling All-Star game out of Georgia after voting restrictions passed, chief says

MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark said players are ready to discuss moving the summer’s All-Star game out of Atlanta after the state legislature passed an election reform bill restricting voter access, the Boston Globe reported.

The 91st MLB All-Star game is scheduled for the Atlanta Braves’ Truist Park on July 13 and they’re planning to have full capacity.

Via Michael Silverman at the Boston Globe:

“Players are very much aware” of the Georgia voting bill, which places restrictions on voting accessibility that will make it particularly difficult for Black voters to reach the polls, said Tony Clark in an interview with the Globe. “As it relates to the All-Star Game, we have not had a conversation with the league on that issue – if there is an opportunity to, we would look forward to having that conversation.”

There’s precedent for moving an all-star game based on enacted legislation. The NBA moved its 2017 game out of Charlotte, North Carolina, following laws that limited anti-discrimination protections for the LGBTQ community.

EDIT: A reminder why I shut off the political threads. After receiving a few complaints, I’ve disabled commenting and have banned a couple posters. FYI, Jim.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 29, 2021 at 10:21 PM | 164 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: all-star game, braves, politics

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Space Force fan Posted: April 02, 2021 at 07:04 PM (#6011325)
No. I mean like reducing voting wait times. For example, this provision was added to the Georgia election code under this law:

(b) If, at the previous general election, a precinct contained more than 2,000 electors and if electors desiring to vote on the day of the election had to wait in line for more than one hour before checking in to vote, the superintendent shall either reduce the size of such precinct so that it shall contain not more than 2,000 electors in accordance with the procedures prescribed by this chapter for the division, alteration, and consolidation of precincts no later than 60 days before the next general election or provide additional voting equipment or poll workers, or both, before the next general election.

Actual it was already the law in Georgia. An article (www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl) from last October states that the law was "rarely enforced".
   102. flournoy Posted: April 02, 2021 at 08:07 PM (#6011329)
My tenure as a baseball fan ended today. Baseball won't miss me, but the feeling is mutual. Farewell...
   103. winnipegwhip Posted: April 02, 2021 at 08:14 PM (#6011330)
I guess by Ontario and Canadian voting standards the All Star Game will never come to Toronto again.
   104. winnipegwhip Posted: April 02, 2021 at 08:16 PM (#6011332)
My tenure as a baseball fan ended today. Baseball won't miss me, but the feeling is mutual. Farewell..

I am glad it was done before I renew my Direct TV package next week.

And yes baseball won't miss you. They have Fan Duel and that is what the game is about.
   105. Lassus Posted: April 02, 2021 at 08:25 PM (#6011333)
The day Rob Manfred becomes a symbol of normal Americans is the day I move to Antarctica.
Rob Manfred would consider looking really stupid in front of a national audience.

As long as this is about voting, I'd like to remind everyone that Manfred grew up in the voting district that was finding votes in drawers and using sticky notes that fell off of an entire box's worth of contested votes.

My tenure as a baseball fan ended today. Baseball won't miss me, but the feeling is mutual. Farewell...

This is a great cue for a ballad. I nominate something from Evita. Something with good costumes and dramatic orchestral swells. Actually, a two-pronged interlocking song with Karl would be ideal.
   106. Mike A Posted: April 02, 2021 at 09:08 PM (#6011337)
I got my ballot in the mail, filled it out, and dropped it in a box less than a mile from my house. Fortunately, the GA GOP has decided that was just way too easy. Heck, if it were up to them, it would be a lot harder.

Farmer Kemp and the GOP have decided they are going to move right and pass laws such as this to appease the Trump/rural base of their party. In turn, they're losing the suburbs and the corporations. Their strategy may work for an election cycle or two, but it seems pretty clear which way Georgia is heading in the future.

I don't agree with what MLB has done here, however. It seems like they are punishing the whole state despite the inroads GA has made in becoming more progressive. And it could backfire in the near term by firing up the GOP base.

107. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 02, 2021 at 09:37 PM (#6011339)
The day Rob Manfred becomes a symbol of normal Americans is the day I move to Antarctica.

I thought you were already pretty much there?
   108. Space Force fan Posted: April 02, 2021 at 09:38 PM (#6011340)
The ironic thing about everyone getting upset about MLB moving an exhibition game they likely didn't even watch is that they are one of the last sports leagues to get into overt politics. Remember the NCAA forcing teams to change nickname dealing with Native Americans and refusing to hold tournaments in states that passed anti-tran bathroom laws. The NFL stomping out flag protests in reaction to conservative disapproval, the NBA has been delving into politics for a long time, FIFA sanctioning clubs with racist fans, F1 drivers taking a knee prior to each race with the blessing of the owners, US IOC outlawing protests on the medal stand, NASCAR outlawing the Confederate flag and permitting protests during the national anthem etc. In the past, they had different political statements in that players had to stand for the national anthem etc. Major sports have always been overtly political and there seems to be nothing here outside the established scope of sports political actions.
   109. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 02, 2021 at 09:54 PM (#6011341)
Baseball is the most conservative (small c) of the major sports.
   110. shoelesjoe Posted: April 02, 2021 at 10:58 PM (#6011352)
If Georgia would only follow China’s example wrt early voting none of this would have happened.

MLB unveils partnership to help grow game in China

China's interest in baseball is at unprecedented levels and growing fast. Baseball is now played in more than 80 colleges and universities there, double the number from six years ago, and more than 40 new baseball facilities have been built in the past year by local governments and individuals. Nearly a billion viewers can now watch Major League Baseball game broadcasts and related TV shows on a national network, China Education Television.

Given that appetite for more, MLB and Beijing Enterprises Real-Estate Group Ltd. (BEREGL), a top Chinese state-owned enterprise, on Friday announced a 10-year relationship to grow the sport in China. The new relationship is designed to result in a significant increase in baseball facilities, meeting the country's growing demand as participation keeps rising.

111. sunday silence (again) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 01:10 AM (#6011370)
And it could backfire in the near term by firing up the GOP base.

People always say stuff like this, but how is that supposed to work really?

Wouldnt the GOP base in GA, be like country boys saving Confederate flags and wearing Klan outfits? Aren't those the voters who are already gung ho for Trump and whoever else they put out there? Those people really can't be any more fired up can they?

Isn't it the centrists that you want to "fire up?" How do they feel about all this? Isnt that where the battle is being fought? How do they feel about not giving people water who are standing in line at polls?

Maybe that should be a question put in general:

Do we all agree that it shouldn't be illegal to give people standing in line at a polling place water? Agree or not?
   112. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 03, 2021 at 02:56 AM (#6011373)

Often it's a way of being against something without admitting to being against it, or to seem reasonable in one's opposition.
   113. Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc Posted: April 03, 2021 at 09:07 AM (#6011385)
This is frustrating. Voting should be (relatively) easy and it should also be secure, secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen or something. But how do you do both, especially when both parties are trying to put their thumbs on the scales? I don't know how we square this circle.

As far as Georgia goes, the point is kinda moot; this law will get reversed the moment Democrats are in charge again.

My tenure as a baseball fan ended today. Baseball won't miss me, but the feeling is mutual. Farewell.

And yes baseball won't miss you. They have Fan Duel and that is what the game is about.

Yep and yep. If they wanna move the ASG out of Georgia for virtue-signaling reasons, whatever. (I don't think I've watched an ASG all the way through in 20+ years.)
   114. Nasty Nate Posted: April 03, 2021 at 09:22 AM (#6011388)
secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen or something.
This standard has proven to be impossible given the right circumstances.
   115. rr: cosmopolitan elite Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:35 AM (#6011392)
Like I said the last time this came up, the idea that the 2020 election was stolen is not some both sides/systemic thing. It's a Trump thing. Trump actually released another statement just a couple of days ago saying yet again that the election was stolen. That was not a thing in 2016--HRC, like Trump in 2020, lost some close ones in swing states, but she conceded on Election Night. It was not a thing in 1960 to this extent, in large part because Nixon conceded, although there was an investigation of the Daley machine/Chicago allegations. From Wiki:

Nixon's campaign staff urged him to pursue recounts and challenge the validity of Kennedy's victory, but Nixon gave a speech three days after the election that he would not contest the election. A myth arose that Daley held back much of the Chicago vote until the late morning hours of November 9. However, when the Republican Chicago Tribune went to press, 79% of Cook County precincts had reported, compared to just 62% of Illinois's precincts overall. Moreover, Nixon never led in Illinois, and Kennedy's lead merely shrank as election night went on.[15] Earl Mazo, a reporter for the pro-Nixon New York Herald Tribune and his biographer, investigated the voting in Chicago and "claimed to have discovered sufficient evidence of vote fraud to prove that the state was stolen for Kennedy."[12]

A special prosecutor assigned to the case brought charges against 650 people, who were acquitted by a judge who was a "Daley crony."[14][13] Three Chicago election workers were convicted of voter fraud in 1962 and served short terms in jail.[14] Mazo, the Herald-Tribune reporter, later said that he "found names of the dead who had voted in Chicago, along with 56 people from one house."[14] He found cases of Republican voter fraud in southern Illinois but said that the totals "did not match the Chicago fraud he found."[14]

An academic study in 1985[16] later analyzed the ballots of two disputed precincts in Chicago which were subject to a recount. It found that while there was a pattern of miscounting votes to the advantage of Democratic candidates, Nixon suffered less than Republicans in other races, and the extrapolated error would have reduced his Illinois margin only from 8,858 votes, the final official total, to just under 8,000. It concluded there was insufficient evidence that he had been cheated out of winning Illinois.

Here is a link to a Politico story about 1960, which also talks about the fact that Kennedy, running ofc with LBJ, won Texas by only 46K:

link

The story is from October 2016--and Trump was already saying that that election was rigged, too, before it had even happened. Here is the end:

There is a difference, though, between cautioning against big government, or profiting from public distrust of it—and weakening the very institutions that underlay popular democracy. Though he later denied it, Richard Nixon initially challenged the results of the 1960 presidential election. But he took his grievances—which were arguably legitimate and well-founded—only so far. In so doing, he preserved the strength of institutions that he later did so much to undermine.

People always say stuff like this, but how is that supposed to work really

Pretty much comes down to whether you are actually going to do anything or are just going to post spicy memes on FB and Instagram.
   116. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:37 AM (#6011394)
and it should also be secure, secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen or something.

We wouldn't have that problem if demagogues didn't spread insane false conspiracy theories. There is absolutely nothing that could have been done in the last election to make Trump accept his defeat graciously. He's been claiming for 5 years that the only way he could lose was if the election was rigged. Come up with any method you choose to make the election as secure as you can imagine, and if Trump loses, he will ant rand rave about fraud and a large chunk of the country will believe him. It's a fool's errand to think you could have done something to prevent that.
   117. Jay Seaver Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:45 AM (#6011395)
I don't agree with what MLB has done here, however. It seems like they are punishing the whole state despite the inroads GA has made in becoming more progressive. And it could backfire in the near term by firing up the GOP base.

I could see that if it were Disney pulling film production out of Georgia, but it's the All-Star Game, at the tail end of the pandemic. Some restaurant workers won't get an extra shift, maybe some other folks won't have a one-week temp job, which ain't great, but it's a pretty small price that's entirely hypothetical this far out. This move is loud and visible and embarrassing but will probably do little economic damage, and that's arguably what you want in a situation like this.

As to it firing up the GOP base, I think that danger is pretty exaggerated. On the one hand, it's not like the governor of North Carolina was handily re-elected after events pulled out over bathroom bills, and on the other, what else are these guys gonna do that's more extreme than what they've been doing? I'm not saying that there's nothing left for that group to threaten people with, but they've been so hard-line for so long that there's not a lot of room for them to go further if their bluff is called.
   118. rr: cosmopolitan elite Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:48 AM (#6011396)
This movie is loud and visible and embarrassing but will probably do little economic damage, and that's arguably what you want in a situation like this.

The movie/move typo is good. And yes, exactly, and Abrams' statements about it reflect this. I expect that there is some additional short-term economic damage associated with the ASG, but this isn't like if Pinewood pulled out.

119. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:50 AM (#6011397)
We wouldn't have that problem if demagogues didn't spread insane false conspiracy theories. There is absolutely nothing that could have been done in the last election to make Trump accept his defeat graciously. He's been claiming for 5 years that the only way he could lose was if the election was rigged. Come up with any method you choose to make the election as secure as you can imagine, and if Trump loses, he will ant rand rave about fraud and a large chunk of the country will believe him. It's a fool's errand to think you could have done something to prevent that.

Concur on Trump, but you take take measures that limit the number of people who believe him. Sending out millions of unsolicited mail-in ballots, sometimes violating the election laws of the state (like in Penn.) just added unnecessary fuel to the conspiracy theory fires.

It's perfectly clear the leftist elites don't care if they make one half the country hate the other half, and vice versa, as long as they hold economic and cultural power.
   120. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 03, 2021 at 11:13 AM (#6011398)
Sending out millions of unsolicited mail-in ballots, sometimes violating the election laws of the state (like in Penn.) just added unnecessary fuel to the conspiracy theory fires.

I wouldn't say it was unnecessary. It was a prudent step to take during a pandemic. I do not have a problem curtailing it in the future. But I don't think there could have been anything done that would have limited in a meaningful way the number of people who believed Trump. The unsolicited mail in ballots were a tiny part of their complaints. It was mostly the Dominion BS and the big cities "manufacturing" Biden votes in the days after the election. If large chunks of the population believe that voting machines were tampered with to change Trump votes to Biden votes, and if large chunks cannot understand that if a state is prohibited from even certifying let alone counting mail in ballots until Election Day that the counting will go on for days, there's nothing that can be done.
   121. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 11:38 AM (#6011401)

I wouldn't say it was unnecessary. It was a prudent step to take during a pandemic. I do not have a problem curtailing it in the future. But I don't think there could have been anything done that would have limited in a meaningful way the number of people who believed Trump. The unsolicited mail in ballots were a tiny part of their complaints. It was mostly the Dominion BS and the big cities "manufacturing" Biden votes in the days after the election. If large chunks of the population believe that voting machines were tampered with to change Trump votes to Biden votes, and if large chunks cannot understand that if a state is prohibited from even certifying let alone counting mail in ballots until Election Day that the counting will go on for days, there's nothing that can be done.

I agree that the focus of the fraud claims is not where fraud might actually have occurred. I, however, have read interviews with former political operatives on how they can manipulate mail-in ballots, and I definitely believe that was (and has always been) going on.
   122. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 03, 2021 at 11:51 AM (#6011404)
5 states have universal mail in voting, where every registered voter gets a ballot without requesting it. There have never been any reports of fraud in those states.
   123. OsunaSakata Posted: April 03, 2021 at 11:58 AM (#6011405)
There wouldn't be a boost to the economy in a pandemic year anyway. Better to have the All-Star Game in a future year, when the law is changed , the pandemic is over, and the economic windfall is much larger.
   124. Mike A Posted: April 03, 2021 at 12:21 PM (#6011409)

Wouldnt the GOP base in GA, be like country boys saving Confederate flags and wearing Klan outfits? Aren't those the voters who are already gung ho for Trump and whoever else they put out there? Those people really can't be any more fired up can they?
Part of the reason Warnock and Ossoff won their run-off elections was because, as 538 noted: "the better Trump did in a county in November, the more its turnout tended to drop in the runoffs compared to the general election." The GOP turned out bigly in the run-offs, but not as bigly as perhaps expected. There was a sense of disenchantment amongst the strong right-wing faithful who will always believe Trump won Georgia.

Now I'm not saying the All-Star game removal will all of a sudden mobilize the GOP in Georgia, but it's pretty clear they're looking for something to get these voters back to the polls - and back on their side. Kemp has an incredibly awful 36% disapproval rating amongst Republicans, many of whom don't feel he did enough to award the (cough) stolen Georgia election to Trump. This bill is a calculated move by Kemp to get those voters out to the polls in 2022.

Case in point: the speaker of the GA House blamed socialists for the MLB move.
   125. Lassus Posted: April 03, 2021 at 12:30 PM (#6011410)
secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen or something

A large chunk of the country thinks a sky fairy controls the election.
   126. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: April 03, 2021 at 12:35 PM (#6011411)
There is absolutely nothing that could have been done in the last election to make Trump accept his defeat graciously. He's been claiming for 5 years that the only way he could lose was if the election was rigged.

Hell, I'd bet that if you asked him right now about the 2016 Iowa Caucuses, he claim the only reason he lost was massive fraud.
   127. karlmagnus Posted: April 03, 2021 at 01:05 PM (#6011413)
Hey, Hey! Ho, ho!
Anti-trust exemption has to go!
   128. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 03, 2021 at 02:16 PM (#6011419)
There was a sense of disenchantment amongst the strong right-wing faithful who will always believe Trump won Georgia.

Well that, and Trump telling them not to bother because it's all rigged.
   129. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 03, 2021 at 02:29 PM (#6011422)
I, however, have read interviews with former political operatives on how they can manipulate mail-in ballots, and I definitely believe that was (and has always been) going on.

I'll see your paranoia and note that I've read seen how voting booth machines cans be rigged too. And I have as much evidence as you that it's actually happened.
Gee this is easy; shame it's pointless.

Also: PA GOP had a year before they finally went to court. #### them.
   130. Itchy Row Posted: April 03, 2021 at 02:34 PM (#6011425)
Maybe they could win you back by having a whites-only ASG in Atlanta.
   131. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: April 03, 2021 at 02:37 PM (#6011426)
A large chunk of the country thinks a sky fairy controls the election.

As well as everything else. Sheer lunacy.
   132. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: April 03, 2021 at 02:40 PM (#6011428)
It's perfectly clear the leftist elites don't care if they make one half the country hate the other half, and vice versa, as long as they hold economic and cultural power.

Yes, yes. It's the evil "leftist elites." Your toxic orange mancrush & his brain-damaged hordes, including the highly principled likes of Matt Gaetz & Roger Stone, had & have nothing to do with it.
   133. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 03:26 PM (#6011433)
Better to have the All-Star Game in a future year, when the law is changed , the pandemic is over, and the economic windfall is much larger.

There is no economic windfall from All-Star Games.

134. Quaker Posted: April 03, 2021 at 05:17 PM (#6011444)
Yes, yes. It's the evil "leftist elites." Your toxic orange mancrush & his brain-damaged hordes, including the highly principled likes of Matt Gaetz & Roger Stone, had & have nothing to do with it.

kill yourself
   135. SoSH U at work Posted: April 03, 2021 at 05:39 PM (#6011445)
Once again, you're really not doing the Quaker thing right.
   136. Froot Loops Posted: April 03, 2021 at 07:18 PM (#6011456)
I've seen from a couple of sources (Buster Olney and Harold Reynolds) that a sizable number of players had said they wouldn't participate in the All-Star game this year if it were held in Georgia. That would have been ugly, with players being forced to take sides on a contentious political issue, not to mention an All-Star Game populated by the likes of C.J. Cron and Wade LeBlanc.
   137. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: April 03, 2021 at 07:48 PM (#6011460)
So you're endorsing the likes of the orange tumor, Gaetz and Stone, Quaker? Fascinating. When's your court date for the 1/6 insurrection, or did you leave the heavy lifting to your fellow neckbearded morons while you cowered behind Lindsey Graham's skirts and pleasured yourself?
   138. RJ in TO Posted: April 03, 2021 at 08:28 PM (#6011468)
kill yourself
You were more fun back when we were arguing about whether it would be worth you getting hit in the balls by a 60 mph pitch for $1.2 million.
   139. Meatwad Posted: April 03, 2021 at 09:12 PM (#6011475)
Quaker, wtf are you for real? Chill the hell out.
   140. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 09:49 PM (#6011479)
Actual it was already the law in Georgia. An article (www.npr.org/2020/10/17/924527679/why-do-nonwhite-georgia-voters-have-to-wait-in-line-for-hours-too-few-polling-pl) from last October states that the law was "rarely enforced".
As I explained elsewhere, it was not already the law. You're confusing two different provisions. The provision you're referring to in the previous election law applied if people had to wait longer than an hour after polls had closed. (Everyone in line when the polls close is allowed to vote.) In other words, if poll closing time is 7 p.m., and there were still people on line after 8 p.m. The new law retains that provision, but adds applicability if there's more than a one hour line at any point on election day.
   141. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:00 PM (#6011481)
This is frustrating. Voting should be (relatively) easy and it should also be secure, secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen or something. But how do you do both, especially when both parties are trying to put their thumbs on the scales? I don't know how we square this circle.
This is disingenuous. It can't be "Secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen," because those people don't think that rationally. They think it because they're gullible and put their trust in people who lied to them and told them that. Making it securer won't change the incentive of some people to lie about it or the gullibility of those who choose to believe those liars.

Yes, the election should be secure. Yes, we should do things to ensure that it remains secure. But the touchstone has to be actual security, not people's claimed disbelief in its security.
   142. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:08 PM (#6011482)
Concur on Trump, but you take take measures that limit the number of people who believe him. Sending out millions of unsolicited mail-in ballots, sometimes violating the election laws of the state (like in Penn.) just added unnecessary fuel to the conspiracy theory fires.
Both aspects of that are wrong. You confuse sending out ballot applications with the ballots themselves, and there was no such violation of any election law in Pennsylvania.

And regardless, nobody has found any fraud as a result of sending out ballots. What would be the mechanism for that leading to anything other than unconnected isolated cases of fraud?
   143. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:17 PM (#6011483)
Once again, you're really not doing the Quaker thing right.
Richard Nixon was a Quaker.
   144. base ball chick Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:29 PM (#6011486)
Quaker Posted: April 03, 2021 at 05:17 PM (#6011444)

kill yourself

dude

seriously

that is beyond inappropriate. you seriously need some counseling. BIGLY.

i hope you do not claim to be a Christian because your words are about as unchristian as it gets
   145. base ball chick Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:39 PM (#6011487)
david

i respect your brains, but truly sometimes you do not look at things from the point of view of a person who lives in a crowded urban area who does not have a car or a drivers license. pretend you are not educated and are either retired and on minimal SS or have some lousy bad paying job you can't leave/miss or you get fired. or are old and have a hard time getting around and physically can't stand in some very long line for hours. and don't have your brains or $$$

it is very hard and takes an obscene amount of time to FIND (no computer, remember) the ballot location let alone get there. they are making it much harder to vote absentee and to drop off ballots because they are decreasing the number of places to vote, the hours to early vote and getting applications in the first place

no early voting cuts off the after church crowd.

i have waited in line to early vote and the last 3 elections, it was well over an hour in the very hot texas sun. i saw people of every ethnicity and persuasion but i didn't see any old folks or really poor folks. it is obscene to do your best to make sure they can't/don't vote

this whole thing is complete horsepoopoo because there are a good number of people who believe that if their candidate didn't win, it HAD to be because of ballot fraud and the only way to fix that is to make sure the Other People have a much harder time voting

btw, best thing EVAH was the drive thru early voting this year. took me 20 min to drive there and 3 min in line and then i voted and that was that. am NOT happy that is gonna be gone in the name of so called fraud, even though the repubs who control the lege are not claiming fraud. they just want fewer people who are not their ilk to vote
   146. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 03, 2021 at 10:57 PM (#6011489)
Both aspects of that are wrong. You confuse sending out ballot applications with the ballots themselves, and there was no such violation of any election law in Pennsylvania.

And regardless, nobody has found any fraud as a result of sending out ballots. What would be the mechanism for that leading to anything other than unconnected isolated cases of fraud?

It's impossible to prove fraud on mail-in ballots. Once they're in the envelopes (whether doctored or not) they're legit. Operatives have reported paying postal workers to throw away mail-in ballots from GOP neighborhoods, and steaming open envelopes to replace the ballots.

Again, the ballots themselves are literally untraceable; intentionally so. The envelope is the only identifier, and those are thrown away quickly at the ballot counting sites.
   147. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 03, 2021 at 11:20 PM (#6011498)
Again, the ballots themselves are literally untraceable; intentionally so. The envelope is the only identifier, and those are thrown away quickly at the ballot counting sites.

Again, 5 states do exclusively mail in voting, and none of them from hard core D HI to hard core R UT have ever reported any significant fraud. In fact, one of them, WA I think, reports fraud levels far lower than the national average, which is minuscule to begin with.
   148. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: April 04, 2021 at 12:18 AM (#6011500)
Colorado was a red state until Obama, and while it now leans left because its urban corridor has had a population boom—thus Biden takes the state—the rest of the state remains firmly right-leaning—thus representation from someone like Boebert. Yet its voting setup, one where every registered voter receives a mail-in ballot, is considered among the most secure in the country. This is one of those times where I find it unfortunate states don't work together better. No reason not to learn from a national leader, on any issue, especially something fundamental to so many citizens.

After 7 Years of Voting by Mail, Colorado Voters Aren't Taken in by Absentee Ballot Drama
   149. Srul Itza Posted: April 04, 2021 at 12:38 AM (#6011503)
secure enough so that a large chunk of the country doesn't think the election was stolen or something.

So the perceptions of liars, idiots, cranks and conspiracy nuts should be the basis for legislation?

Why do I feel like the country has become an endless loop from Blazing Saddles?
   150. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 04, 2021 at 12:50 AM (#6011505)
Srul, you really need to come over to the island of misfit toys at Discord. You would be welcome there and I think you would enjoy it.
   151. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: April 04, 2021 at 01:00 AM (#6011506)

Your assertions are not correct. From the article I linked in #148:

Colorado voters receive ballots that are specific to where they live, with ballots listing pertinent issues and races for elected offices. A bar code on the return envelope identifies the voter.

When a ballot is returned to a county clerk’s office, the first processing step is to verify the signature on the outside of the envelope by comparing it to the voter’s signature on file with the state’s voter registration system.

In Larimer County, the ballot is run through a machine called Agilis that has the same technology banks use to verify signatures. The automated system usually verifies signature on about 50% of ballots, Myers said.

Ballots that are not mechanically verified are given to a bipartisan team of election judges who compare the submitted signature to the registration signature. If the judges agree the signature matches, the ballot is sent on for further processing.

If they don’t agree, the ballot goes to a second set of judges who compare the ballot signature to signatures from the voter that have been recorded over time.

If something appears to be wrong with the signature — or if there is no signature — the ballot is not opened. A letter will be sent to the voter notifying them they have eight days to “cure” the ballot.

“If you don’t cure your ballot, that envelope is never opened,” Myers said.

Verified ballot envelopes are sent through another machine, OPEX, that slices open the return envelope on two sides, allowing a judge to extract the ballot without viewing its contents. The ballot is unfolded, checked for damage or other issues that might prevent it from going through a counting machine, and placed in a tray for counting.

Ballots are run through a counting machine and returned to trays that are sealed and cataloged.

A strict count of the ballots is maintained throughout the process. The chain of custody of ballots is documented, and video cameras record each step in the process, Myers said.

And I won't believe anyone's sincerity about mail-in voting being illegitimate (for whatever reason) unless any suggestion starts with taking that right away from overseas military personnel. Those people have had that capability for decades, but now it's an issue?
   152. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: April 04, 2021 at 11:26 AM (#6011523)
Quaker’s post 134 should have no place on this site. Added him to my “ignore” list since I don’t want to get the whole threat nuked.
   153. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: April 04, 2021 at 11:58 AM (#6011528)
Quaker’s post 134 should have no place on this site. Added him to my “ignore” list since I don’t want to get the whole threat nuked.

I'm the target, & I'm not worrying about it. Just think about how poisonously empty & hate-filled his life has to be for him to write such a thing, much less to make that pathetic & pitiable plight obvious in a public forum.
   154. . Posted: April 04, 2021 at 04:37 PM (#6011573)
Hall of Famer Charles Barkley is known for his outspoken opinions, whether it's about basketball or politics. During CBS's broadcast of the Final Four on Saturday, he fired off a stinging critique of American politics, accusing lawmakers on both sides of the aisle or trying to "make the whites and Blacks not like each other" so they can stay in power.

His comments came after a pregame feature about Sen. Robert F. Kennedy's 1968 appearance in Indianapolis -- site of this year's Final Four -- in which he informed the crowd that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had been assassinated. When asked for his reaction, Barkley placed much of the blame for racial tensions in the United States at the feet of politicians.

"I think most white people and Black people are great people. I really believe that in my heart," Barkley said. "But I think our system is set up where our politicians, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, are designed to make us not like each other so they can keep their grasp of money and power. They divide and conquer."

Barkley, an 11-time NBA All-Star who retired in 2000 after 16 seasons in the league, has occasionally dropped hints about running for political office -- most notably governor of Alabama.

However, his political leanings have changed over the years, and he's never been shy about criticizing both major parties, as he did on Saturday night.

"We're so stupid following our politicians, whether they are Republicans or Democrats," Barkley continued. "And their only job is, 'Hey, let's make these people not like each other. We don't live in their neighborhoods. We all got money. Let's make the whites and Blacks not like each other. Let's make rich people and poor people not like each other. Let's scramble the middle class.' I truly believe that in my heart."

Spot-on in every particular from Charles, who's a very smart man both brainwise and emotionally. The only thing he left out is that corporations and the media are now in the racial divide-and-conquer business; the former because of self-interest, the latter because there's really big money in it. The "let's scramble the middle class" is particularly perceptive and accurate.
   155. baxter Posted: April 04, 2021 at 08:07 PM (#6011591)
134 ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE ON THIS SITE!!!!

False Quaker; if you were really a Quaker you would have written:

"Kill THYself"

Thank thee
   156. Mike A Posted: April 04, 2021 at 08:30 PM (#6011599)
There's certainly a reason Trump centered in on Detroit, Philly, and Atlanta as having cheated him out of the win. Several of these new GA provisions are clearly aimed at Fulton County (reducing drop boxes, for instance, from 38 to 8) which is part of the reason why the optics don't look great.
   157. base ball chick Posted: April 04, 2021 at 10:48 PM (#6011625)
sugar bear

there is already so much racial hatred and suspicion that the politicians don't have to do real to much. but the insistence on keeping the hatred to keep the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer and the middle class disappearing - oh yeah, that is definitely their thing. and buying the guns to keep us killing each other too don't forget that

reducing drop boxes to make sure that people who have no transportation have a tough time getting the ballots in - and all in dem areas? nothing to see here, now, is there

158. Howie Menckel Posted: April 04, 2021 at 11:23 PM (#6011634)
just flipped to the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game, and of course they're not talking about the game we're watching.

it's mentioned that the Rangers will play before a sellout crowd tomorrow. this prompts A-Rod to ask, "so why isn't Texas in the mix for this All-Star Game?"

I chose to find it adorable, but others may go down other avenues......
   159. BDC Posted: April 05, 2021 at 11:23 AM (#6011692)
Yes, as I mentioned in THE AWESOME DISCORD WHICH SRUL WOULD LOVE, what counts as vote suppression in Georgia would constitute increased access in Texas.
   160. Mayor Blomberg Posted: April 05, 2021 at 02:27 PM (#6011728)
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he will boycott Major League Baseball events after the league pulled its All-Star Game from Georgia
Abbott also said Monday he was declining to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at the Texas Rangers' home opening game.

I trust Fox will be all over this phony virtue signaling?
   161. . Posted: April 05, 2021 at 03:55 PM (#6011750)
Why would a Republican support a company that has thrown its weight behind the Democratic policy position on voting? All these non-partisan, non-political things like throwing out the first pitch are now over because of MLB becoming avowedly partisan in its political participation and activity and public statements. They've ruined them.

I guess it's ok for the Braves franchise to operate in a Jim Crow state, though. Seems a bit bizarre, but whatever -- no one with a brain could possibly believe in the good faith of an enterprise like MLB anyway.
   162. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: April 05, 2021 at 04:05 PM (#6011752)
Ricketts and DeWitt must be doing that Nathan Fillion meme right about now.

163. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: April 05, 2021 at 04:06 PM (#6011754)
You may not have heard, but there is a big trial going on in Minnesota right now, in which "reasonable use of force" is a key component. MLB likely believes that taking away one exhibition game is reasonable, but stripping or re-locating the franchise is not.
   164. . Posted: April 05, 2021 at 04:11 PM (#6011758)
Seems odd that the company would want one of its 30 franchises overtly operating in such a "Jim Crow-ish," backward state where the citizenry's voting rights are under explicit and avowed attack. Could it be that MLB is full of ####? Yes, it could indeed be that MLB is full of ####.

This is moreover an abuse of the corporate form and the corporate norm for which hopefully the company will eventually pay a big price. They're probably ultimately more loyal to China than the US, anyway -- like many of the multinationals headquartered here. We'll see when Covid finally ends the degree to which wokeness has harmed these entertainment businesses; it will likely turn out to be a lot. Stupid, counterproductive, short-term move.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13996 - 1:17pm, Sep 19)
Last: Tony S

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(268 - 12:51pm, Sep 19)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Newsblog8th? BBTF Central Park Softball Game: SEPT 18, 2021
(224 - 12:19pm, Sep 19)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogBaseball Pension Tension
(15 - 12:16pm, Sep 19)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogShohei Ohtani has sore arm, might not pitch again this season
(27 - 12:10pm, Sep 19)
Last: John Northey

Sox TherapyIt's A Sprint, Not A Marathon
(12 - 9:58am, Sep 19)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogThe Brown Bombers, a Little-Known Black Baseball Team, Shook Colorado’S Segregated Sports World
(3 - 9:33am, Sep 19)
Last: kirstie819

NewsblogOT - August/September 2021 College Football thread
(202 - 2:30am, Sep 19)
Last: Lance Reddick! Lance him!

NewsblogBest average in Majors ... but no batting title?
(22 - 12:52am, Sep 19)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogHey, pal, WEEKEND OMNICHATTER's eyes are up here, for September 17-19, 2021
(69 - 10:58pm, Sep 18)
Last: The Duke

Sox TherapyShrug
(156 - 3:11pm, Sep 18)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogRemorseful Thom Brennaman deserves to work again now; He’s already suffered 14 months of hell
(43 - 12:21pm, Sep 18)
Last: Karl from NY

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(4428 - 12:16pm, Sep 18)
Last: Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus

NewsblogKC Royals ‘need to start thinking’ about a new stadium, possibly downtown, owner says
(58 - 12:05am, Sep 18)
Last: geonose

Hall of Merit2022 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(181 - 12:01am, Sep 18)
Last: theorioleway

Page rendered in 0.5658 seconds
48 querie(s) executed