Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, July 09, 2020

MLB.TV costs $59.99 for the 60-game season

Major League Baseball will feature a shortened 60-game season in 2020, as well as empty (or at least mostly empty) stadiums, if they’re even able to complete the season amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

You may have thought that this situation would lead to MLB.TV the being a bargain for the 2020 season (and that would certainly be a way to attract fans in these difficult times), but that’s not the case.

MLB.TV has set its price at $59.99 for its main package, featuring every team’s out-of-market games. Before everything was shut down in March, the streaming service was listed at $121.99 for the 162-game season (there was a monthly option for $24.99/month).

So, do the per-game math, and the new MLB.TV price is actually a worse value. Keep in mind that this is during a pandemic, and for a bizarre season that will be hard for many people to take as seriously, so it’s really not a great look.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 09, 2020 at 09:56 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: mlbtv

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. pthomas Posted: July 09, 2020 at 10:39 AM (#5961876)
When you look around the poker table, and you can't tell who the sucker is.....

That means the sucker is YOU.
   2. Rally Posted: July 09, 2020 at 11:44 AM (#5961880)
At the end of the article:

"UPDATE: Those who subscribed to MLB.TV before the season and already paid for a full year are receiving emails offering a prorated refund or credit for the 2021 season. The refund will be $76.81 for those who paid the original price of $121.99, meaning that the prorated cost of the season will be $45.18."

This matches with the email I got. Glad to be getting a 14 dollar discount for the interest free loan I gave to MLB. But not a good look if they are trying to bring in new subscribers.
   3. Rally Posted: July 09, 2020 at 11:48 AM (#5961881)
I really can't complain about MLB.com though. It would be nit-picking. I've been following baseball long enough to remember the days when if the Angels played Monday night, I might not know what happened until Wednesday morning - because the games were too late for the Tuesday papers to include them.

$45 for the season. That is less than I pay every time I go to see a single game at Camden Yards (parking, concessions for family), and I'm not even including the price of tickets, which I generally have not had to pay for over the last 10 years.
   4. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 09, 2020 at 01:46 PM (#5961901)
One can quibble about what the price point should be, but Extra Innings & MLB.TV have made this the Golden Age for baseball fans, especially ‘expatriates’ who can now follow their favorite team even though they don’t reside in the team’s home market. Still some problems to address on blackouts, and I suspect some prodding from Congress may be needed, but more people have access to more MLB games than ever before (ignoring the current coronavirus issues).

I share a 21-game plan with my now-adult sons, and the Nationals throw in a MLB.TV subscription - same for half & full season tickets. Do other teams do that? Haven’t seen it mentioned here, but it seems like a pretty good deal. Same for MLB.TV being included with Extra Innings at no extra charge.
   5. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: July 09, 2020 at 02:57 PM (#5961907)
I paid $79.29 (veteran's discount), and my e-mail said I would be getting a refund of $49.92, for a 60 game price of $29.37. So, in line with #2 percentage wise. I pay 65% of the full season price, and my 60 game price is also 65%.
   6. Mudpout Posted: July 09, 2020 at 03:05 PM (#5961911)
The optics aren't great, but it's worth considering that the package includes the playoffs. Best case scenario, while the regular season is shortened we still get a full slate of games in the playoffs. IIRC, at the end of the season you can sign up for just the playoffs for $20. With some very shoddy math, if you take out $20 from both the original 162-game price and the modified 60-game price, the per-game value is pretty close. Not saying that's the most sensible way to look at it, but it's an alternative explanation.
   7. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 09, 2020 at 03:23 PM (#5961916)
I posted about the mlbtv email sharing all this info in the dugout place a few days ago. I don't get post 1 at all as this approach seems pretty reasonable to me.

But then I do know there are a lot of posters here who don't want to pay for any service (references to hostility about paying for online content and the like) So maybe this poster is one of those. Which is an interesting mindset. Do these people live on the street because they refuse to pay for any type of shelter? Steal food? I am legit curious as it is a strong strain here even in some ways more than reddit folks.
   8. Rally Posted: July 09, 2020 at 08:47 PM (#5961998)
You cant watch live playoff games. You get replays, and radio feeds are live. But to watch playoffs you need TBS, FS1, Fox or such.
   9. Adam M Posted: July 09, 2020 at 09:14 PM (#5962006)
I'm sure MLB has some ideas about making the games longer, to make sure fans are getting as much baseball as possible for their money.
   10. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 09, 2020 at 10:49 PM (#5962023)
I really can't complain about MLB.com though. It would be nit-picking. I've been following baseball long enough to remember the days when if the Angels played Monday night, I might not know what happened until Wednesday morning - because the games were too late for the Tuesday papers to include them.

why didn't you just check twitter?
   11. the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135 Posted: July 09, 2020 at 11:00 PM (#5962027)
I posted about the mlbtv email sharing all this info in the dugout place a few days ago. I don't get post 1 at all as this approach seems pretty reasonable to me.

But then I do know there are a lot of posters here who don't want to pay for any service (references to hostility about paying for online content and the like) So maybe this poster is one of those. Which is an interesting mindset. Do these people live on the street because they refuse to pay for any type of shelter? Steal food? I am legit curious as it is a strong strain here even in some ways more than reddit folks.

raising the price on an inferior product is never reasonable. there may be cases where it's justifiable, but in this case, i'd argue it's not.

the price point for this should have been 20-25 dollars, and MLB should have used that price point as a way to get as many viewers as possible. write it off as a loss-leader (except it still makes a ton of ####### money, even at a reduced price) and try to grow the game.
   12. Dat Yat Posted: July 13, 2020 at 07:12 PM (#5962747)

I don't think it's a question about being 'hostile' about paying for online content. I think it's more an issue that if you only follow one team the pro-rated amount you really should be paying for a 60 game season is about $35 and not $50. Minor quibble? Sure. But let's not pretend it's people just objecting to paying for this content at all when the objection is being overcharged for it, especially as a lot of people may not have the same disposable income they had last year.
   13. Eddie Gaedel Posted: July 16, 2020 at 09:30 AM (#5963310)
Fixed costs and variable costs.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOakland Athletics OF Ramon Laureano charges Houston Astros dugout, sparks brawl
(14 - 1:06am, Aug 10)
Last: Astroenteritis

NewsblogRules for pitcher feats in 7-inning twin bills
(16 - 12:44am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8859 - 12:21am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogYankees' Aaron Boone argues with umpires about air horn being blown outside Phillies' ballpark
(1 - 11:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOff the glove and over the fence! Texas Rangers’ Nick Solak homers in unique fashion.
(7 - 10:05pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER! for August 8-9, 2010
(45 - 9:23pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(343 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: kcgard2

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(10 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(43 - 9:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogBA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall
(7 - 9:07pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(6 - 9:03pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(17 - 8:44pm, Aug 09)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogWhy MLB didn't use bubble plan for 2020 regular season; and what league insiders think of the decision
(7 - 8:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogChris Iannetta retires after Yankees send catcher to alternate site
(4 - 6:00pm, Aug 09)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(86 - 5:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.3168 seconds
48 querie(s) executed