Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Nationals To Entertain Trade Offers For Juan Soto After He Rejects $440MM Offer

In a somewhat shocking development, the Washington Nationals will now listen to trade offers for transcendent superstar Juan Soto, per the Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal. The change of heart comes after Soto reportedly rejected a $440MM extension offer.

The Nationals have long held the position that they would not be open to trading Soto, their 23-year-old superstar, who is already firmly listed among the best hitters in baseball. The Nationals have some time to make a decision, as Soto is under team control for another two seasons beyond this one.

That said, they have made consistent efforts to come to a contract extension with Soto’s agent Scott Boras, with no success. For the Nationals’ part, they’ve made an earnest effort. According to Rosenthal, the latest such offer – the third offer from the Nationals’ side – was for 15 years and a total of $440MM. Perhaps more shocking than the number itself is that the Nats did not include any deferred money in the deal. The Nationals are well known for deferring money in most of their long-term deals.

RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 16, 2022 at 12:34 PM | 130 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: juan soto, nationals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Lonnie Smith for president Posted: July 19, 2022 at 04:57 AM (#6087321)
Re: 96-97, I wonder if this public declaration of stalemate doesn't benefit current Nats ownership at least as much as Team Boras. Keeping Soto would certainly put a pleasant face on the franchise for a generation and, such that it matters anymore, a foundational piece for the next competitive roster. However, if the Lerners can flip him ("you've forced our hand, young entitled Mr Soto...") along with one or more of their ugly back-dated contracts for whatever magic beans may come, surely that's more attractive to prospective new ownership? Realizing that payroll is nearly irrelevant to any franchise's ability to make Scrooge McDuck-like amounts of fortunte, that is, but the optics of "wise" stewardship are always a people-pleaser.

This stalemate could drag on for a few more years and eventually include the ask for a new stadium. Nationals Park opened in March 2008, so it will officially curdle by 2028...? Sooner, maybe? Grab your pocketbooks, remaining Nats fans and DC residents.
   102. chisoxcollector Posted: July 19, 2022 at 05:58 AM (#6087322)
I’m seeing suggestions that the White Sox should trade Andrew Vaughn, Eloy Jimenez, Colson Montgomery, Oscar Colas, and Norge Vera for Juan Soto. And add Dylan Cease and/or Luis Robert if needed. WTF? That would be the worst trade in MLB history.
   103. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: July 19, 2022 at 06:55 AM (#6087323)
95... Your response here is very detailed. I have an idea: Since you now remember so clearly what you posted, why don't you provide a link to the discussion we had?
   104. Adam Starblind Posted: July 19, 2022 at 08:06 AM (#6087328)
. With such glee the right watches as the country comes unglued. The most important public policy issues of the day are now decided by a cadre of unaccountable ideologues installed through a series of accidents and dirty tricks. And just in case you were worried about other branches and levels of government intervening, the obstacles between the voters and the outcomes they prefer have never been greater. But hey, countries last forever no matter what, right?

"i'M a cEnTrIsT."

See?
   105. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: July 19, 2022 at 09:38 AM (#6087335)
I’m seeing suggestions that the White Sox should trade Andrew Vaughn, Eloy Jimenez, Colson Montgomery, Oscar Colas, and Norge Vera for Juan Soto. And add Dylan Cease and/or Luis Robert if needed. WTF? That would be the worst trade in MLB history.
Shrug. Sportswriters also find themselves with too much time on their hands during the All-Star Break, not just during Spring Training.
   106. My name is Votto, and I love to get Moppo Posted: July 19, 2022 at 10:36 AM (#6087348)
As most remember, the issue with Garland’s nomination was whether an opposition party Senate could decline to act on a nomination for a Supreme Court vacancy occurring in a presidential election year. I recall noting in various ways that an opposition party Senate hadn’t confirmed a Supreme Court nomination to a vacancy occurring in a presidential election year since the Grover Cleveland administration, and even that was a compromise selection after several nominations had been voted down or not acted on by the Senate

The second part may be true, but the first part is not. My Senators at the time (J. Isakson, D. Perdue) both were opposed to any confirmation hearings, but neither of them ever mentioned anything about the makeup of the Senate as a factor, it was ONLY about the fact that it was an election year.

Here was McConnell in 2016: "So the American people have a particular opportunity now to make their voice heard in the selection of Scalia’s successor as they participate in the process to select their next president — as they decide who they trust to both lead the country and nominate the next Supreme Court justice. How often does someone from Ashland, Ky., or Zearing, Iowa, get to have such impact?"

The rationale about alignment between the Senate and Oval Office was only trotted out in 2020 so that they could confirm Barrett.
   107. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: July 19, 2022 at 11:05 AM (#6087352)
The second part may be true,

...but how often did the same scenario occur between then and 2016?

Clappy is the most dishonest person on this site, by a wide margin.
   108. cardsfanboy Posted: July 19, 2022 at 12:07 PM (#6087366)

Yep, why mortgage everything that might make you competitive when you get a good player, leaving holes in the two year window you have with the new player. I don't know what the going rate for two years of an elite player is, but at best you project him as a 14 war player over the next two seasons, add another 3 for this season and realize that if you trade anyone that does produce at above 3 per year war level, you might have lost out on the trade as far as value for war etc. I get the post season run you add a bit more value, but he's going to cost about 70% of his real value over the next two years anyway.

109. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 19, 2022 at 12:14 PM (#6087370)
In presidential election years, when the President’s party has sufficient votes in the Senate to do so, it continues to confirm federal judges at all levels. When it doesn’t have those votes, few election year nominations are confirmed. That’s been true for many decades, under both parties. It’s so common that two current Supreme Court Justices, John Roberts & Elena Kagan, had earlier DC Circuit nominations thwarted in that manner.

Bivens is again interjecting a topic that is irrelevant to the thread, and doing it badly. Those who care about that topic may want to consult the 2016 OTP threads, rather than rely on what Bivens claims is his ‘nearly verbatim paraphrase’.
   110. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: July 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM (#6087372)
Knock it off with the politics folks. Juan Soto might get traded - that's huge, and much more interesting than yet another round of political bickering.
   111. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 19, 2022 at 01:10 PM (#6087380)
Snapper made some interesting pts. which I mostly agree with especially on the inflationary front. But i wanted to take on the one he asked: was anybody known for dogging it in the hopes of being traded?

Not many. But Sheffield comes to mind. I dont know if he was looking to get traded or just was a weirdo But that might be one. Also Bill Madlock before he was traded to PIT in the mid 70s was said to be a crappy fielder and didnt want to be in SF. He seemed to really trying when he arrived so maybe Madlock. Also Geo. Foster was probably dogging it at times, I recall hearing announcers making some insinuations.

But yeah. I think I agree with the overall pt. it doesnt really happen in baseball unless there is some unusual flakey personality in some unusual sitaution.
   112. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 19, 2022 at 01:28 PM (#6087383)
However, if the Lerners can flip him ("you've forced our hand, young entitled Mr Soto...") along with one or more of their ugly back-dated contracts for whatever magic beans may come, surely that's more attractive to prospective new ownership?
That seems likely to be the question that will guide the Nationals actions. My view is that retaining Soto makes the franchise more valuable, adding to the sale price, while leaving the new owners to actually pay the new contract. If they can’t do that, kicking the can down the road for the new owners to resolve before Soto’s 2025 free agency, would also have Soto’s presence adding to the franchise value.

Trading Soto removes his value from the sale price, and undoubtedly alienates a large portion of the Nationals fan base, so much of the DC reporting has suggested that it is the least likely option, at least during the 2022 season. However, like #101, some suggest that a stripped-down bare bones payroll might appeal to some buyers, who’d see the guaranteed profits from national media & central fund handouts as more attractive than investing money in an attempt to create a winning team that would boost local revenues.

Maybe there’s a trade with such ripe prospect talent that it would be lauded in the media and convince the locals to see how it plays out, but I think it’s more that the Lerners have to decide what option does the most for the franchise sale price and act accordingly.
   113. Ron J Posted: July 19, 2022 at 01:34 PM (#6087385)
#111 Madlock was very unhappy in SF about being asked to play second and went pulic about it. Bill James has a great comment.

"This is understandable; bears don't like to roller skate, cows don't like to dance and the Pope rarely appears on game shows. Playing second base was not among Madlock's considerable talents."
   114. Ron J Posted: July 19, 2022 at 01:45 PM (#6087391)
Also re Sheffield. As I know you're aware, while he claimed to have made errors on purpose while in Milwaukee there's no evidence to support this. At the same time time he made those claims he also said that he was "consumed with hate" and there's ample evidence to support this.

So he was certainly trying to force a trade. And he played very badly in 1991. But he also had some injury issues (and one of his many complaints had to do with the way the team handled this)

A lot of people felt Randy Johnson was dogging it in 1998 -- trying to force a trade. But what it mostly looks like to me is some bad luck on balls in play.
   115. Lassus Posted: July 19, 2022 at 01:53 PM (#6087393)
Beaten to it on Sheffield by Ron.
   116. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 19, 2022 at 02:33 PM (#6087399)
Madlock was very unhappy in SF about being asked to play second and went pulic about it.

The sequence of events was like this:

1976: The Giants trade in midseason for Darrell Evans, who becomes their regular first baseman.
1977: The Giants trade for Madlock and install him as their everyday third baseman. Evans plays primarily in left field.
1978: The Giants decide to put Evans back at third base, where he hasn't played regularly since 1975 with the Braves. They move Madlock to second base.
1979: The Giants trade Madlock in midseason to the Pirates, who immediately switch him back to third base. He never plays another major league inning at second base.

Nobody ever accused the late-1970s Giants of knowing what they were doing.
   117. sunday silence (again) Posted: July 19, 2022 at 02:59 PM (#6087403)
thanks for all the insights into the Madlock situation.

Nobody ever accused the late-1970s Giants of knowing what they were doing.

it's not a terrible trade. Looking at the next 5 seasons: Whitson produced over 9 WAR and Al Holland produced 10. Compared to Madlock who produced 15 over the same time. Lenny Randle also came to PIT but he was sold soon to NYY and had 1.3 WAR left.

They got 6.5 war out of HOlland and converted that into Mike Krukow for 8 more WAR. They got 4 war out of Whitson before trading him for the corpse of Duane Kuiper (-1.4). Seen that way they got 17 War for Madlock.

WHos to say SFG didnt win that trade?

Speaking of PIT/SFG trades. I saw Dick Schofield died and didnt realize he was traded straight up for Jose Pagan in the mid 60s in a challenge trade if there ever was one. They were both about the same age. They both were crappy/no power hitters. But Pagan had outstanding range at SS as seen in videos and what we can tell from TZ about +10 runs/yr vs Schofield who seems merely cromulent at 2b. Any insight into what was going on there.
   118. Howie Menckel Posted: July 19, 2022 at 03:15 PM (#6087404)

(using the trick CFB taught me re "after-links")

from the Schofield SABR bio:

"After waiting ten seasons to become a big-league starter, Schofield finally got his chance in 1963. An offseason trade sent Groat to St. Louis and Ducky was named the starting shortstop and leadoff hitter. He was in the Pirates’ Opening Day lineup for each of the next three seasons....

"On May 22 [1965] the Pirates traded him to the Giants for infielder Jose Pagan. The already offensively loaded Giants upgraded their defense and the Pirates opened up the shortstop job for Gene Alley. Schofield provided the defense the Giants were looking for as he led the league in fielding percentage. However, he batted just .203 after coming to San Francisco and .209 for the season."

from the Pagan SABR bio:

"With the Giants, his offense gradually eroded. His glove work remained at an elite level, but his batting average and power both deteriorated. On May 22, 1965, once Giants manager Herman Franks became sufficiently dissatisfied with Pagán’s overall play, Pagán was traded to Pittsburgh for infielder Dick Schofield.

"Pagán played the utility role well for the Pirates, and his fluency in the languages of Spanish and baseball made him extremely useful as the first large wave of Hispanic players began to arrive in the United States."

hmm, I forgot that Jayson Werth is a grandson of this Schofield and a nephew of the second one.
and I never knew that Werth's stepfather is forgettable 1980-81 Yankees backup 1B-OF Dennis Werth.
   119. My name is Votto, and I love to get Moppo Posted: July 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM (#6087481)
A lot of people felt Randy Johnson was dogging it in 1998 -- trying to force a trade. But what it mostly looks like to me is some bad luck on balls in play.

That's what came to mind for me, too, and of course he had a legendary second half with Houston. But in Seattle he was still fine, and as you note, had a good FIP.
   120. TJ Posted: July 20, 2022 at 01:55 PM (#6087495)
Take your favorite team and name the three players they will need to include to get into the Juan Soto Sweepstakes! Not the three you would offer, but the three that need to be on the table to get in the discussion. (For example, I don’t see any way the Yankees get in without offering Volpe). Even if you think your team wouldn’t try for Soto, who would they need to offer if they decided to go for it. For my beloved Detroit Tigers I will go with…

Riley Greene- he’s not Juan Soto but looks a lot like he could be Michael Brantley or better, which is pretty good.
Spencer Torkelson- a lousy debut, but still a lot of potential that is at least close to being MLB-ready.
Tarik Skubel- noses out Casey Mize and Jackson Jobe for the third spot. I can see the Nats preferring Jobe, I can see Detroit offering Mize.

I don’t think the Nats even pick up the phone if Greene isn’t involved…
   121. Lonnie Smith for president Posted: July 20, 2022 at 02:14 PM (#6087498)
The Astros could offer Hunter Brown and one each of their magic beans at 3b (Hensley or Perez) and Cf (Barber or Leon). The young catchers might not be as appealing to the Nats, given Ruiz's shiny promise. Houston is still the best team out West but Seattle is coming on and at some point soon the Astros figure to get younger, if not cheaper. Soto would surely take the sting out of that trajectory and maybe even keep their Altuve/Bregman competitive window open a bit longer.

Could they or would they take on Corbin's dead weight, though? That might improve their chances and change up the high rank of the prospects listed above. Does Washington want young'uns to dream on, salary relief, both, or something else altogether...? Certainly they have opportunities all over their roster.
   122. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 20, 2022 at 02:31 PM (#6087502)
Could they or would they take on Corbin's dead weight, though?
That might make the balance sheet look a bit better to potential buyers, which is probably the Lerners highest priority, so taking Corbin may have to be part of any package. Teams that think he’s fixable, may be more willing to go there.
   123. Howie Menckel Posted: July 20, 2022 at 03:01 PM (#6087509)
I can't imagine that Corbin - once a very successful SP - couldn't be a useful left-handed MLB reliever. hey, the Mets could use that!
   124. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 20, 2022 at 06:13 PM (#6087530)
hey, the Mets could use that!
I’ll be a bit surprised if the Nationals trade Soto to a divisional rival, or a team whose best prospect is a catcher (since they seem to be happy with Keibert Ruiz, and have so many other needs), although there might be ways to compensate for those shortcomings, i.e., pay more.
   125. cardsfanboy Posted: July 20, 2022 at 07:10 PM (#6087535)
Take your favorite team and name the three players they will need to include to get into the Juan Soto Sweepstakes!

Considering I don't fully know much about Washington's upcoming players and prospects potential, I'm going just by their current lineup, and saying the Cardinals offer Juan Yepez (a first year player, 24 years old, putting up a 115 ops+ as a corner outfielder in the majors) That would effectively keep the Nationals from having a hole where Soto was at. Jordan Walker, a potential everyday all star third baseman who hasn't seen the majors yet, and I know everyone is putting Libertore in the deal, but I'm kinda holding out hope he goes to the A's. Johan Oviedo as the third, a major league ready pitcher.
   126. Sleepy was just looking for porta potties Posted: July 21, 2022 at 01:32 AM (#6087562)
I can’t imagine a deal with Yepez as the centerpiece would work. He’s a dh who stands in the of sometimes and he’s showing signs that pitchers have figured him out. I don’t see liberatore as a compelling target either.

The cards could take on Corbin, I guess. But I suspect any deal will need to include walker. Or maybe Carlson?
   127. cardsfanboy Posted: July 21, 2022 at 11:55 AM (#6087601)
The cards could take on Corbin, I guess. But I suspect any deal will need to include walker. Or maybe Carlson?
I put Walker, Yepez and Libertore/Oviedo as the three pieces, I just mentioned Yepez first because I was pointing out a major league bat that they can put into their lineup today. Mind you, any prospect pitcher they want could probably be put in the deal, nobody is really untouchable as a pitcher in the Cardinals organization right now.
   128. Darren Posted: July 21, 2022 at 03:26 PM (#6087636)
The Dodgers could offer Mookie as a centerpiece. He's more reasonably priced, locked in long term, and the new owner would still have a star to market.
   129. Hank Gillette Posted: July 21, 2022 at 03:38 PM (#6087643)
I’ll be a bit surprised if the Nationals trade Soto to a divisional rival, or a team whose best prospect is a catcher (since they seem to be happy with Keibert Ruiz, and have so many other needs), although there might be ways to compensate for those shortcomings, i.e., pay more.
Why would they care? It’s not like they are interested in competing anyway.
   130. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: July 21, 2022 at 04:14 PM (#6087655)
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

Newsblog2023 NBA Regular Season Thread
(286 - 3:12am, Feb 03)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogOT - 2022 NFL thread Part II
(320 - 1:21am, Feb 03)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogJohn Adams, Who Banged His Drum in the Cleveland Bleachers, Has Died
(14 - 1:12am, Feb 03)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

Hall of MeritRanking Right Fielders in the Hall of Merit - Discussion thread
(42 - 10:46pm, Feb 02)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogMLB expansion: Nashville group led by Dave Stewart makes a pitch for Music City [$]
(25 - 10:40pm, Feb 02)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Hi Ho Hi Ho it’s Back to Club Football We Go
(355 - 10:09pm, Feb 02)
Last: Jose is an Absurd Sultan

NewsblogEx-girlfriend alleges Mets outfielder assaulted her in Syracuse; warrant, lawsuit target player
(7 - 10:00pm, Feb 02)
Last: Jose is an Absurd Sultan

Hall of MeritRanking Left Fielders in the Hall of Merit - Discussion thread
(94 - 6:37pm, Feb 02)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogOrioles to decline 5-year Camden Yards lease extension, seek to secure long-term agreement
(3 - 3:58pm, Feb 02)
Last: jingoist

Hall of MeritReranking Left Fielders Ballot
(20 - 3:38pm, Feb 02)
Last: Tiboreau

NewsblogMLB Network Exits YouTube TV Ahead of Spring Training After Contract Dispute
(50 - 3:21pm, Feb 02)
Last: JL72

Sox TherapyUpdates
(96 - 2:28pm, Feb 02)
Last: Darren

NewsblogHow to Watch the Caribbean Series
(3 - 11:27am, Feb 02)
Last: Jose is an Absurd Sultan

NewsblogOT: Wrestling Thread November 2014
(2641 - 5:42am, Feb 02)
Last: aberg

NewsblogBaseball Hall of Fame tracker 2023