Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 06, 2020

Nats’ Ryan Zimmerman, Joe Ross among first MLB players to opt out of 2020 season

“Veteran first baseman Ryan Zimmerman and starting pitcher Joe Ross of the Washington Nationals were among the first major leaguers to opt out of the 2020 season because of concerns about the novel coronavirus — although with players due to begin reporting for mandatory virus testing this week ahead of Friday’s opening of “summer camps,” they almost certainly will not be the last. . . .

““After a great deal of thought and given my family circumstances — three young children, including a newborn, and a mother at high risk — I have decided not to participate in the 2020 season,” Zimmerman, 35, said in a statement Monday. “… I cannot speak for anyone else, but given the unusual nature of the season, this is the best decision for my family, and I truly appreciate the [Nationals’] understanding and support.” . . .

“Zimmerman’s $2 million salary for 2020 was due to be prorated to $740,740 for the 60-game season under the terms of the March agreement between MLB and the players’ union over salaries.“

majorflaw Posted: July 06, 2020 at 06:23 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: 2020 season

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: July 06, 2020 at 01:24 PM (#5961300)
Ryan Zimmerman is 35 years old, pretty much done, and has made over $137 million in his career. He's not going to the HOF, and the season is so short that counting stats aren't really a factor for almost any player. And after taxes, how much money was he going to bringing home, anyway.

Joe Ross is a different set of factors. He's 26, has made about $2 million in his career, and was set to make about $574K in this prorated season. It would seem like he'd have more to lose, but who knows? You see Nick Cordero die at 41 years old of COVID after being on a ventilator for 3 months, and you can't blame anybody for opting out of the 2020 season..
   2. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: July 06, 2020 at 01:26 PM (#5961301)
I have to imagine that this is essentially a retirement announcement. Mid 30s, bad last year. Missed lots of time the past two seasons. Going to sit out a year. Still, he had a career to be proud of.
   3. SoSH U at work Posted: July 06, 2020 at 02:12 PM (#5961305)
According to wikipedia, Ross has a father who's a pediatrician and a mother who's a nurse. I imagine that had some bearing on his decision.
   4. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 06, 2020 at 02:17 PM (#5961306)
It will be fin to se what comments return from the first go-round. I believe I did #3 the first time. (or were they part of a catch-all?)
   5. Nasty Nate Posted: July 06, 2020 at 02:54 PM (#5961309)
If that's all for him, he ended it starting every game in a victorious World Series.
   6. Itchy Row Posted: July 06, 2020 at 03:54 PM (#5961322)
Zimmerman is fifth in franchise history in bWAR but first since they moved to Washington. Scherzer would catch him this year with 2.3 WAR in the short season. Strasburg would probably pass him next year if he stays healthy.
   7. Walt Davis Posted: July 06, 2020 at 09:33 PM (#5961386)
Zimmerman has had a heck of a career but will also always be a "what might have been." In the majors at 20, 25 WAR, 15 WAA through age 25, coming off seasons of 7 and 6 WAR. One of the best players in the game, he got hurt (shoulder right?) and was never quite the same, especially defensively. It's always possible those age 24-25 seasons were flukes, otherwise he was pretty consistent. It looked like he might be done after his age 31 season but had a somewhat miraculous age 32 season (career high 36 HR). Still an excellent 39 WAR, 17 WAA.

Which brings me to birthday boy Lance Johnson in the "better than I thought" category. I stumbled across him for some other reason a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find he had 30 career WAR (and 11 WAA). He was a much better hitter than I gave him credit for (probably overly influenced by his Cub tenure), he was sort of a poor man's Ichiro in that he was able to hit enough singles (and triples!) to survive in the sillyball era. (Or maybe a slightly more expensive version of Juan Pierre.) Throw in heaps of speed and defense and that's a fine player. Anyway, I woulda thought that Zimmerman kinda lapped the field with Lance -- Zimmerman has the clear edge but some of that is the extra 1400 PA.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOakland Athletics OF Ramon Laureano charges Houston Astros dugout, sparks brawl
(14 - 1:06am, Aug 10)
Last: Astroenteritis

NewsblogRules for pitcher feats in 7-inning twin bills
(16 - 12:44am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8859 - 12:21am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogYankees' Aaron Boone argues with umpires about air horn being blown outside Phillies' ballpark
(1 - 11:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOff the glove and over the fence! Texas Rangers’ Nick Solak homers in unique fashion.
(7 - 10:05pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER! for August 8-9, 2010
(45 - 9:23pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(343 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: kcgard2

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(10 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(43 - 9:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogBA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall
(7 - 9:07pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(6 - 9:03pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(17 - 8:44pm, Aug 09)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogWhy MLB didn't use bubble plan for 2020 regular season; and what league insiders think of the decision
(7 - 8:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogChris Iannetta retires after Yankees send catcher to alternate site
(4 - 6:00pm, Aug 09)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(86 - 5:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.2573 seconds
48 querie(s) executed