Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, May 21, 2021

NBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread

I estimate there are maybe 10-12 Primates left on this site, and they all post in the NBA thread.

Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: May 21, 2021 at 01:07 PM | 4930 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: clutch, narratives, nba, off topic, redemption

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 19 of 50 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›
   1801. asinwreck Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:11 PM (#6025548)
For the Bulls, having Simmons would mean Coby White doesn't have to be the lead guard, and White's shot-happy approach to offense would seem to suit Simmons fine. The Bulls are certainly going to get some point guard this summer, so why not a high-end (albeit bizarrely flawed) point guard?

A LaVine-for-Simmons deal would require a lot more salary going back to Philadelphia. Al-Farouq Aminu would be a start. Maybe a larger deal with Thaddeus Young going to Philadelphia and some draft picks going to Chicago could happen.

Is LaVine a big enough star for Morey's tastes? I suspect a McCollum-for-Simmons deal with Portland is more what he'd want to do.
   1802. spivey 2 Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:15 PM (#6025549)
I think the Simmons as PG experiment needs to be over wherever he plays next year. Smallball 5 with passing ability, point forward, etc. Fine. But I don't think he should the guy who your offense is running through anymore. I probably want him in some combination of the dunker's spot and the high post/elbow, and doing some screens. Happy to be told this is wrong.
   1803. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:17 PM (#6025550)
What do the Bulls fans think of the LaVine for Simmons notion, being pushed by Hollinger et al?

I assume Chicago would want more; obviously, trading LaVine after the season he just had for Simmons after the playoffs he just had is tough, PR-wise. But it's not like the Bulls can just stand pat, either.

I think that's one of those lose/lose trades. That's not to say LaVine is as good or valuable as Simmons (though based on current contracts* LaVine does have more trade value), it's just hard to see how that trade makes either team better. They're both drastically different rosters after this type of deal, which has some value for Philly. I can talk myself into seeing White as a better fit next to Simmons than LaVine, and there's some ways Simmons also works compliments Vucevic much better than LaVine. The Bulls probably aren't keeping Markannen, but I can squint and see a playoff team (low seed) starting Simmons/White/Williams/Markannen/Vucevic. Maybe the Bulls win the lottery tomorrow and that makes the FO feel like they can more quickly rebuild a roster around Simmons. I don't see how the Bulls build a contender around Simmons, but I also don't see how they build a contender around LaVine. I dunno...

*Expiring and under $20mil, but he's also about to get a max so...

1804. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:17 PM (#6025551)
What do the Bulls fans think of the LaVine for Simmons notion, being pushed by Hollinger et al?

I assume Chicago would want more; obviously, trading LaVine after the season he just had for Simmons after the playoffs he just had is tough, PR-wise. But it's not like the Bulls can just stand pat, either.
i don't think it makes any sense for the bulls to trade lavine for simmons. that just leaves you in a significantly worse position than the sixers are currently in, since vucevic, unlike embiid, is not a perennial MVP candidate.

it would make some sense for CHI to trade other things for simmons, so CHI can play simmons and lavine together, and maybe get the best out of both of them.

it would also make sense for CHI to trade lavine to the sixers for tharris and every sixers draft pick for the next decade, since that lets CHI wipe the slate clean.
   1805. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:20 PM (#6025552)
Is a natural righty learning to shoot lefty so different from all the LHBs who throw righty?
   1806. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:20 PM (#6025553)
Is LaVine a big enough star for Morey's tastes? I suspect a McCollum-for-Simmons deal with Portland is more what he'd want to do.

All things considered, wouldn't just about everyone rather have LaVine (26, right size for a SG, doesn't play defense) the next few years than McCollum (about to turn 30, undersized, also doesn't play defense)?
   1807. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:23 PM (#6025554)
it would make some sense for CHI to trade other things for simmons, so CHI can play simmons and lavine together, and maybe get the best out of both of them.

I agree with this; I started to right that in my post above but moved it out and forgot to put it back. Simmons/LaVine are kinda a perfect pairing.

it would also make sense for CHI to trade lavine to the sixers for tharris and every sixers draft pick for the next decade, since that lets CHI wipe the slate clean.

That makes a lot of sense for PHI, sure. CHI, not so sure.
   1808. jmurph Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:23 PM (#6025555)
All things considered, wouldn't just about everyone rather have LaVine (26, right size for a SG, doesn't play defense) the next few years than McCollum (about to turn 30, undersized, also doesn't play defense)?

Probably so, but we've seen McCollum thrive as the 2nd guy, and have not seen LaVine thrive in any other role. That's possibly a simplistic thing that's easy to overcome, but maybe not.
   1809. asinwreck Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:35 PM (#6025558)

Bravo on devising a Simmons trade that reunites Karnišovas and Nurkić.

I doubt Karnišovas is trading LaVine after reshaping the roster around him, but who knows? He's also said he plans to be aggressive this offseason.
   1810. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:38 PM (#6025559)
Bravo on devising a Simmons trade that reunites Karnišovas and Nurkić.
if i was actually on top of my game, i would have made sure to include denzel valentine and gary harris.
   1811. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:43 PM (#6025560)
Is a natural righty learning to shoot lefty so different from all the LHBs who throw righty?

I don’t think there’s any similarity. It would be more like a righty brushing his teeth left handed.
Batting opposite handed puts your dominant arm in the lead. There’s some logic to that.
   1812. tshipman Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:45 PM (#6025562)

I think the Simmons as PG experiment needs to be over wherever he plays next year. Smallball 5 with passing ability, point forward, etc. Fine. But I don't think he should the guy who your offense is running through anymore. I probably want him in some combination of the dunker's spot and the high post/elbow, and doing some screens. Happy to be told this is wrong.

Just quoting to state how much I agree. This silly bullshit of Ben Simmons, starting PG needs to be done with. Having him next to Damian Lillard would seem to help there, but it would be non-negotiable if I were picking him up.
   1813. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: June 21, 2021 at 01:48 PM (#6025563)
I weirdly think that Simmons, or a Simmons analogue that has had his brain-worms removed, would look good as a four next to Towns?
   1814. jmurph Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:03 PM (#6025565)
Maybe a data point for the "is he willing to change" conversation:
While outwardly sullen about the result of the series, Simmons did defend himself when a reporter suggested that his All-Star impact of the regular season tends to shrink in the postseason spotlight.

"How many assists did I have?" he asked, referring to his 13 dimes.

"What did Trae [Young] shoot?" he asked, bringing attention to the Hawks star's 5-for-23 shooting night, with many of those misses coming with Simmons on him.

"I'm not going to let you say that," he said of the characterization of his postseason struggles. "We lost, it sucks. I am who I am. It is what it is. It's not easy to win. And it shows. The Nets got finished by the Bucks. It's not easy to win. And I work."
   1815. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:11 PM (#6025566)
the thing is: simmons (sort of) isn't wrong. his defense on smaller players is really good and he's a good enough playmaker that you don't want to waste that by just sticking him at the four.
but he's also not good enough to justify a team as good as philly doing what they've tried doing and what by most accounts simmons wants to do - particularly with his current brain worms.

you know, uber-metrics have problems - and simmons' tactical issues help illustrate them - but he's a top 50 guy in them pretty much across the board.
   1816. jmurph Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:14 PM (#6025569)
It's just a very easy thought process to me: he's not an asset in the halfcourt leading your offense, he's not an asset close and late leading your offense, he's been bad to very bad in numerous post-seasons. So why am I devoting 82 games to building my offense around him?
   1817. jmurph Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:17 PM (#6025570)
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
Nets star James Harden has committed to play for Team USA in the Tokyo Olympics, joining teammate Kevin Durant on the USAB squad, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Kyrie Irving is unlikely to play as he recovers from his ankle injury.

Harden is in. Saw Bam reported earlier, too.
   1818. spivey 2 Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:30 PM (#6025573)
the thing is: simmons (sort of) isn't wrong. his defense on smaller players is really good and he's a good enough playmaker that you don't want to waste that by just sticking him at the four.
but he's also not good enough to justify a team as good as philly doing what they've tried doing and what by most accounts simmons wants to do - particularly with his current brain worms.

It's a shame some of his playmaking will get wasted, but that's just a fact of life, imo. Passing is ultimately valuable from every position. Draymond's passing was very valuable to Golden State. I would still expect him to be able to positively impact games with his above average playmaking for the big positions.

TFTIO: I agree I think he could probably fit ok next to a center you want outside the paint a lot anyways. KAT isn't a bad example. I think Brook Lopez is another good example. Handle some of the beating Simmons probably couldn't take, and Lopez spends an even higher percentage outside the 3 line vs. Embiid and KAT, who you want down in the post occasionally.
   1819. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:35 PM (#6025574)
1816 - oh, i'm not building my offense around him if i've a lot to lose in doing so (and probably not doing that even if i don't have that much to lose - i'm definitely teaming him with a "real" point guard), especially given his salary. i pursue him if i want a reclamation project or i'm desperate. minnesota is interesting. orlando. more i think about okc the more i'm intrigued. a three-way where he goes to dc and westbrook lands elsewhere... and so on.

he's a three time all-star (partly because he was overrated), was all-nba once, and has yet to turn 25. you can work with this guy.
   1820. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:50 PM (#6025576)
cleveland is also interesting.
   1821. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:51 PM (#6025577)
cleveland is also interesting.

Today, in quotes I was not expecting to read.
   1822. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 02:59 PM (#6025578)
haha - fair.
   1823. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: June 21, 2021 at 03:03 PM (#6025579)
It does make some sense, though.
   1824. jmurph Posted: June 21, 2021 at 03:28 PM (#6025581)
Marc Stein @TheSteinLine
Damian Lillard. Draymond Green. Bradley Beal. Jayson Tatum. Devin Booker. Kevin Durant. Bam Adebayo. James Harden.

I think Gregg Popovich has a decent shot at that elusive gold medal with @usabasketball in Tokyo.
   1825. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 21, 2021 at 03:42 PM (#6025585)
I was really not expecting anywhere near this number of marquee players to be interested in the Olympics this offseason. I guess the playoffs probably left a bad taste in some players' mouths, but Booker isn't even done with his playoffs yet.
   1826. asinwreck Posted: June 21, 2021 at 04:03 PM (#6025589)
Simmons next to Jarrett Allen would be quite a spectacle on offense, though the difference there is Allen would actually dunk.
   1827. Hombre Brotani Posted: June 21, 2021 at 04:14 PM (#6025593)
(Someone on Twitter floated the unlikely move to OKC in a Kemba plus picks transaction, which would be wild.)
Saw this on the previous page, and this makes sense to me. Simmons has great value, but only in certain contexts. The Sixers' window is right now, and it seems like a semi-final out is the best they can do with this pairing. (All props to the ATL for beating the more talented squad.) OKC has time to figure out what to do with him, and Philly doesn't. As Simmons said, this is who he is, and that's just not good enough.
   1828. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 21, 2021 at 04:42 PM (#6025601)
It does make some sense, though.
CLE has nothing to offer PHI. or anyone else, really.
Saw this on the previous page, and this makes sense to me. Simmons has great value, but only in certain contexts. The Sixers' window is right now, and it seems like a semi-final out is the best they can do with this pairing. (All props to the ATL for beating the more talented squad.) OKC has time to figure out what to do with him, and Philly doesn't. As Simmons said, this is who he is, and that's just not good enough.
i think it makes less sense for PHI to move simmons for kemba than for them to move tharris for kemba.

but then, even after last night, i'm still not 100% convinced the sixers need to move on from simmons.
   1829. spivey 2 Posted: June 21, 2021 at 04:54 PM (#6025605)
but then, even after last night, i'm still not 100% convinced the sixers need to move on from simmons.

Those quotes from Doc and Embiid weren't great. Emotions were raw and that sort of stuff can be patched up, probably, but you never see that kind of leaving one of your players out to dry.
   1830. Hombre Brotani Posted: June 21, 2021 at 04:57 PM (#6025606)
i think it makes less sense for PHI to move simmons for kemba than for them to move tharris for kemba.
Not for OKC, it doesn't. There's no reason for them to take on THariss' contract when you can't build around him and he's not going to be a part of the next great Thunder team.
   1831. SteveF Posted: June 21, 2021 at 04:57 PM (#6025607)
Simmons can't protect the rim. So ideally you pair him with a 5 that can shoot 3s, pick and pop, and protect the rim.

One such 5 is Joel Embiid. 37% from 3. 86% from the line in 548 attempts. I think the improved shooting is real. Having Embiid take more 3s and more pick and pops will reduce the wear on him both in season and during playoff games.

But the Sixers need to do a lot of convincing. They'd need Embiid taking 5-6 3s a game. They'd need Simmons to play the way everyone (as expressed by Spivey/Tshipman) except him realizes he needs to play. They need a coach that actually believes the offense needs to run that way. And they need a point guard who can initiate offense and run PnRs with Simmons rolling and Embiid popping.

But can they get the point guard without trading Simmons? I'd considered the Harris for Walker trade too, but I have no faith in Walker's knee. I just don't think he can get through even a load managed regular season and 4 playoff rounds.
   1832. Hombre Brotani Posted: June 21, 2021 at 05:12 PM (#6025610)
They'd need Embiid taking 5-6 3s a game.
Embiid would frickin' love that.
They'd need Simmons to play the way everyone (as expressed by Spivey/Tshipman) except him realizes he needs to play.
He's been in the league a while now. Four years in, he's more reluctant, not less, to shoot from outside 10 feet. That's an ugly trend, and I don't think Philly can wait for him to find the nerve to start stretching defenses.
   1833. Mike A Posted: June 21, 2021 at 05:36 PM (#6025613)
rr - thanks. It seemed like just yesterday I was whining here about Lloyd Pierce and the Hawks blowing another 4th quarter lead. Never in a million years did I think they'd make it to the ECF. Crazy.

All the talk everywhere is about Ben Simmons (he's getting way too much blame imo). Doc now says they have a plan in place to make him a better shooter, starting at the FT line. It's not without precedent - players like Chris Webber, Karl Malone, and Blake Griffin substantially improved their FT shooting. But I think the issue with Simmons has become mental which can be tricky to overcome, especially with the pressure he's under.

I wonder if they'll try to get Simmons to switch back to his natural right-handedness. That would seem extreme, and I'm not convinced that's the issue. There's a fair amount of players who shoot opposite their writing hand, including LeBron and Larry Legend.
   1834. aberg Posted: June 21, 2021 at 05:40 PM (#6025614)

I like Lavine on the Sixers more than I like Simmons on the Bulls. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that the Bulls don't have any other guards I trust, and I think that's an absolute necessity for any Simmons team.

I have lusted after him on the Wolves for a long time. His strengths and weaknesses pair pretty well with Towns and Russell. If he's in a lineup with Russell, Towns, and Edwards, an unwillingness to shoot might be a virtue. Harder to come up with a package that works. I doubt something built around Beasley + McDaniels would be enough.
   1835. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:12 PM (#6025618)
While outwardly sullen about the result of the series, Simmons did defend himself when a reporter suggested that his All-Star impact of the regular season tends to shrink in the postseason spotlight.

"How many assists did I have?" he asked, referring to his 13 dimes.

"What did Trae [Young] shoot?" he asked, bringing attention to the Hawks star's 5-for-23 shooting night, with many of those misses coming with Simmons on him.

"I'm not going to let you say that," he said of the characterization of his postseason struggles. "We lost, it sucks. I am who I am. It is what it is. It's not easy to win. And it shows. The Nets got finished by the Bucks. It's not easy to win. And I work."

@Ben_Dowsett
Trae Young when guarded by Ben Simmons this postseason: 43.6% FG, 26 assists, 3 turnovers (8.66:1 Assist-to-Turnover ratio)Trae Young when guarded by any other 76er:37.8% FG, 50 assists, 22 turnovers (2.27:1 Assist-to-Turnover ratio)
   1836. aberg Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:28 PM (#6025625)
Just as a devil's advocate position, is there an Embiid trade that would be better for Philly than trading Simmons?

I ask because Simmons's value is at a comical low-point and Embiid has been reasonably healthy enough to be close to peak value.
   1837. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:37 PM (#6025626)
Rudy + Ingles is obviously a very fair deal for Embiid the Sixers should do.
   1838. aberg Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:44 PM (#6025628)
Lowe and Marks floated Simmons and money for Russell and Beasley. I'd do that trade for the Wolves. You'd start Rubio-Edwards-McDaniels-Simmons-Towns.
   1839. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:49 PM (#6025630)
CLE has nothing to offer PHI. or anyone else, really.
Cleveland could work as part of a three way construction, where Love is the $ going out piece (not to Philly) and Simmons is the $ going in. The question then is what value do they send out that is worth someone's else time and whether or not they'd be interested.

I think the move with Embiid is less to have him spend more time outside (which he doesn't like doing) and instead getting him more rest - and that you don't want in the playoffs to use Howard types when Embiid sits.
---
aberg - it's a reasonable question, but regardless of whether or not that'd be advisable (probably not?), I can't see that flying politically.
---
Since people have talked about LaVine and McCollum - do they make sense for Philly? Do you need a better playmaker there?
   1840. smileyy Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:58 PM (#6025631)
Those Trae Young stats are...not a good look for Simmons.
   1841. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: June 21, 2021 at 06:59 PM (#6025632)
It seems that the midseason move for Lowry is the big missed opportunity for Philly.
   1842. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 21, 2021 at 07:02 PM (#6025633)
What else was in the deal Houston wanted (or Philly offered) for Harden?
   1843. rr: cosmopolitan elite Posted: June 21, 2021 at 07:21 PM (#6025637)
Sometimes the best thing that an org. can do after a really rough playoff loss is...nothing major. Don't freak out, don't overreact, don't mess with your core, try to improve at the margins. Given Simmons's age, I can see why it might be tempting to buck the Twitter tide (Twide) and stay with him, but I don't think they can:

1. Since Simmons was a #1 overall pick, he is being paid like, and is expected to be, Embiid's #2 guy. I don't think Simmons can get to that level if he won't attempt 3s and can't shoot FTs, no matter how good he is at other stuff. Like I said in the other comment, while Simmons has some real talent, he is not a once-a-generation physical marvel like Wilt Chamberlain or Shaquille O'Neal. Also, in today's game, shooting is arguably more important than it has ever been.
2. Like I have said many times, a basic yardstick for a contender, usually, is Top 10 on both O and D. Phoenix, Milwaukee, and the Clippers: check. Philadelphia has not made the top 10 in OTRG either of the last two years. Atlanta is a fun team, was clearly a bit underrated, and they deserve credit for their two series wins. But the Hawks are not what we think of as a legit contender because their best guy is smaller than Allen Iverson and they finished 21st in DRTG. With the money on the table, at home, Philadelphia could not take advantage of that and put them away. Embiid scored 31 on one leg; Tobias Harris had an inefficient game but he did put some points on the board and looked very intense and engaged--made a few big buckets. Your stars and your max guys are the ones who are supposed to get your team through these moments. Are they going to do it every time? No, and when they don't, that doesn't mean that they're chokers and that you should trade them all. The other team has their max guys and key guys, too. But most people--stiggles included--started these playoffs talking about Philly having a free pass to the ECF. This was a moment that the 76ers needed to leverage, and they didn't. I don't think you blame that on Matisse Thybulle, Dwight Howard, and George Hill. Adding that to the arc of Simmons' career (and, it seems, his personality, to which I had given no thought until today) I think Morey needs to move on. Given Morey's history, I would be surprised if he turned down Harden to keep Simmons, but who knows. I think they need to get some high-end scoring/creating by trading Simmons to get a guy like that. The other option is try to get some of that kind of help while keeping Simmons, and changing his role a bit, and that is something that Morey should look at. But here is what it comes down to for me: When you have a must-score possession in the 4th quarter of a playoff game to deal with, do you want Ben Simmons to be the guy with the ball in his hands determining the flow of that possession? I don't think I do, because he won't even try a 3 and he is a bad FT shooter. YMMV.

1844. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 07:37 PM (#6025639)
rr: yes to all of that

On Atlanta’s d - I think it’s better than their drtg (and that improved a lot over the season). But only a little and when I say that I am including Hunter in the mix. (Man, ATL will miss him against Milwaukee)

——

I think Simmons clearly bothered Young, who struggles with height.
   1845. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 21, 2021 at 07:44 PM (#6025641)
ATL/Milwaukee will be an interesting test of both how much Atlanta's D benefited from the Sixers offensive clunkiness and how much Milwaukee's offensive struggles were Brooklyn's defense and how much were their own limitations/lack of adjustment.
   1846. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 21, 2021 at 07:48 PM (#6025643)
What else was in the deal Houston wanted (or Philly offered) for Harden?

knowing how small and petulant todman fertito is, i don't think HOU was going to trade harden to PHI for anything reasonable, given the way that morey had just left.
Since people have talked about LaVine and McCollum - do they make sense for Philly? Do you need a better playmaker there?

we've never seen mccollum run an offense on his own and i think it's reasonably likely that if someone gives him the reigns, he would be a top 5-10 PG.

lavine probably doesn't have the skillset to do it, but he's younger and less likely to collapse, so that's also nice.

both of them would make sense playing next to simmons, but keeping simmons is probably too hard a sell after his performance yesterday.
   1847. Mike A Posted: June 21, 2021 at 08:28 PM (#6025645)
Hawk stats this year:

Under Pierce: 23rd DRtg, 11th ORtg, 15th NetRtg
Under McMillan: t10th DRtg, 8th ORtg, 7th NetRtg

Since today is Ben Simmons Day...apparently changing his shooting hand is on the table. I could only find one player who did this - Tristan Thompson (his BRef page actually has 'left' crossed out and replaced with 'right'). It didn't seem to do much. His FT% remained...not good, and he continued to rarely shoot outside 10 feet.
   1848. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 21, 2021 at 08:29 PM (#6025646)
It seems that the midseason move for Lowry is the big missed opportunity for Philly.
making the money work to get lowry was ugly.
   1849. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: June 21, 2021 at 09:00 PM (#6025653)
making the money work to get lowry was ugly.

Yeah, I can see that. And in retrospect, I don't think that anyone had really thought that Simmons' brain-worms would be quite so destructive.
   1850. rr: cosmopolitan elite Posted: June 21, 2021 at 09:07 PM (#6025655)
ATL: The McMillan/Pierce numbers suggest that Atlanta was underrated in general and should have been expected to make more noise than some, including me, thought. That is the kind of thing that I would pay attention to before the fact if I cared about predictions or were a gambler. They also suggest that McMillan may be a better coach than many people seem to think he is, something that I have thought for awhile.

That said, I think that Milwaukee will take them in 5 or 6. Antetokounmpo is healthy and while Embiid is great, he is not quite Antetokounmpo. Holiday may help more in this series than he did in the other one.
   1851. rr: cosmopolitan elite Posted: June 21, 2021 at 09:14 PM (#6025656)

Just as a devil's advocate position, is there an Embiid trade that would be better for Philly than trading Simmons?

It is pretty hard to win trades when you move guys on Embiid's level. I think you would be basically be saying that you think he is going the way of Yao or Bynum if you moved him.
   1852. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 21, 2021 at 09:19 PM (#6025657)
I also have Milwaukee in, uh, 5.5 games. Bud may struggle to make playoff adjustments but - though I like coach Nate - Atlanta isn’t a team that will trip you up with them.
   1853. Hombre Brotani Posted: June 21, 2021 at 09:32 PM (#6025659)
I didn't even have the Hawks getting past the Knicks, so I'm just wild-arse guessing. I do think that the bucks, for all of their offensive faults, know how to play great defense. They were 3-0 against the Hawks during the season, so I'll take the under and call it a five game series for the Bucks.
   1854. spivey 2 Posted: June 21, 2021 at 10:17 PM (#6025663)
Hawks beat the Bucks one game and there were some injuries in the various games. Bucks should win but rotations will be interesting. Atlanta doesn’t have any super easy places to hide Forbes. How Milwaukee attacks Trae will also be interesting. Rooting for some god damn open threes to go in.
   1855. spivey 2 Posted: June 21, 2021 at 10:28 PM (#6025665)
I also want to give Giannis some props. He took too many bad shots for half of the Nets series, but he was really good the last few games. Not great at crunch time scoring but had 40 in Game 7 and I don’t think it was hardly acknowledged. Also very good Game 6.
   1856. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 21, 2021 at 11:03 PM (#6025669)
Simmons can't protect the rim. So ideally you pair him with a 5 that can shoot 3s, pick and pop, and protect the rim.

Sounds like Myles Turner. Has anyone given any thought to a Brogdon/Simmons swap? The Pacers could then flip Sabonis for a guard, maybe Derrick White. The Spurs started Keldon Johnson at the 4 much of last year, with predictably poor results.
   1857. PJ Martinez Posted: June 22, 2021 at 08:46 AM (#6025688)
Sabonis has to be worth more than Derrick White (two years older, not as good, a comparable salary starting next year), doesn't he? He's basically Indiana's franchise guy. If they could get more for him, maybe that makes sense... in any case, I agree that Simmons and Turner seems like a good fit, and Simmons and Sabonis does not.
   1858. DCA Posted: June 22, 2021 at 09:55 AM (#6025690)
Also, the Pacers have to replace Brogdon if he's moved for Simmons, so probably best to do something like

Simmons -> Indy
Sabonis -> other team
other teams PG -> Philly

The best fit that I can see is:

Simmons -> Indy
Sabonis -> Minnesota
Rubio, Warren, picks -> Philly
   1859. Dandy Little Glove Man Posted: June 22, 2021 at 11:21 AM (#6025698)
I like Brogdon's fit in Philly much more than a guy like Rubio, who has similar weaknesses to Simmons as an unreliable and reluctant scorer, or any pure scorer like Warren who doesn't really create for others. I also think the Pacers see LeVert as a primary ballhandler. He averaged 26 points and 7 assists a game in their last 10 games of the year, following his surgery and ramping back up to full speed. LeVert + a steady combo guard (eg White) + Simmons is enough ballhandling and distribution in my view [though if the Pacers could pull off keeping all of Brogdon, LeVert, and Turner in a Simmons trade, sure do it].

As for whether Sabonis is worth more than Derrick White, it's tricky. I feel like we've had some version of this conversation before. Sabonis is younger, with a better health record, and more consistent production, but he's also a much harder guy to fit into the lineup. On one hand, he's an excellent interior scorer, screener, and facilitator. On the other hand, he's a 4/5 who doesn't protect the rim at all, is less quick/mobile than the average 4, and isn't much of a floor spacer. There aren't many teams who'd be itching to add a guy like that, whereas every team wants someone who can shoot, handle, pass, and defend both guard spots like White, even if he's merely average to above-average in each of those areas rather than having any standout skill.
   1860. aberg Posted: June 22, 2021 at 11:27 AM (#6025699)
The McMillan/Pierce numbers suggest that Atlanta was underrated in general and should have been expected to make more noise than some, including me, thought.

Indy regressing without McMillan is another feather in his cap.
   1861. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 22, 2021 at 12:40 PM (#6025703)
Milwaukee Bucks forward Khris Middleton and Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love have committed to joining Team USA's 12-man roster for the Summer Olympics, Excel Basketball agent Mike Lindeman told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Love? Really? I mean, I can understand why he'd want to play, and in theory the former version of Love makes a lot of sense for the team. But today's Love? Have that many other people turned them down?

I'm also surprised to see Middleton commit already; I think enough big names have but everyone else besides Booker is already out of the playoffs:

Their commitments would leave two spots left on the 12-man Olympic roster, as 10 players -- the others are Miami's Bam Adebayo, Brooklyn's James Harden and Kevin Durant, Golden State's Draymond Green, Washington's Bradley Beal, Boston's Jayson Tatum, Phoenix's Devin Booker and Portland's Damian Lillard -- have already pledged to play, according to ESPN and multiple reports.

The ESPN piece mentioned PG and Kawhi haven't answered yes or no yet; I think I saw CP3 was also on the fence - somewhat related, both Paul and Leonard are officially out tonight for game 2.

EDIT: I see Paul has also committed. That's tempting fate now isn't it, assuming he'll still be uninjured (can't say healthy)...
   1862. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 12:53 PM (#6025706)
because my sport interests sometimes run a little ahead of the time of the season that we are in (even when my favorite team is in the conference finals), i got thinking about "how would an expansion draft work this offseason?" in general, i like these kinds of exercises as a way of evaluating talent in a context that's a little different than you might do otherwise ... but an nba expansion draft is a little different, in that it's very hard to expose a decent, reasonably priced player.

anyway, i might post my thoughts on it here - feel free to ignore. if nothing else, it's a chance to mention every nba team (if i finish the thing).

rules: teams can protect up to 8 guys, must expose at least 1. can't expose players on player options or ufas. rfas become ufas if selected. expansion teams have unlimited amnesty powers on selections over the offseason.

atlanta
protects young, bogdan, red velvet, hunter, okongwu, collins, capela
exposes: goodwin (r), dunn
unsure: reddish, gallo (one of the two has to be exposed)
ineligible: snell, sweet lou, hill
gallinari is pretty good! but he's also a bench player owed about 2/42. reddish has potential but really only a good month or two under his belt after two seasons.

boston
protect: smart, brown, pritchard, nesmith, tatum, williams
exposes: horford, thompson, fall
unsure: must expose one of edwards, jabari parker, and langford.
ineligible: fournier, ojeleye, kornet
parker has very little money guaranteed - i expose langford who is bad.
(i'm acting like the horford deal has been finalized, obv)

brooklyn:
protect: kyrie, harden, durant, shamet, harris, brown(r), claxton, alize johnson,
exposes: jordan, mike james!(r)
ineligible: dinwiddie, tlc, tyler johnson, jeff green, griffin
you could argue that they should expose shamet instead of james in order to dump the contract. (i wouldn't agree.)
also, brooklyn likely tries to attach some kind of compensation to deandre to dump him if that's politically feasible within the nets org.
   1863. asinwreck Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:03 PM (#6025707)
Fun exercise. You'd protect Alize Johnson over Reggie Perry?
   1864. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:08 PM (#6025708)
good point! i'm ignoring 2 way guys entirely, as that concept didn't exist the last time the nba did this for real.
also, i wouldn't be surprised if i make weird errors along the way about contractual status.
   1865. spivey 2 Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:14 PM (#6025709)
I'd rather have Brook Lopez than Kevin Love on the Olympics. And I could probably say the same about a ton of other bigs.
   1866. Fourth True Outcome Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:26 PM (#6025713)
I don't think the US team needs Kevin Love at all, but I can see how Kevin Love could really use an Olympics after his travails in Cleveland the last few years.
   1867. aberg Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:32 PM (#6025715)
I'd rather have Brook Lopez than Kevin Love on the Olympics. And I could probably say the same about a ton of other bigs.

In theory, yes, but you have to take into consideration the distraction of Tokyo Disney.
   1868. jmurph Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:34 PM (#6025716)
I have nothing against Kevin Love, from what I know of him he seems like a solid guy, but is he one of the... 100 best players in the NBA? I'd be pretty surprised if he is. (I'm not sure he's more than the 4th best guy on Cleveland, just as an example.)
   1869. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 22, 2021 at 01:47 PM (#6025718)
10,000% chance this is coming from joerger (with an outside chance that it's coming from cassell):

Stephen A Smith @stephenasmith
I received this text about Ben Simmons from somebody very close to the situation...
https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1407379365126623242

JD Shaw @JShawNBA
Viewership for the playoffs across ABC, TNT and ESPN is up 39% from last season, according to the NBA. More: pic.twitter.com/ixdN2DhH1C

draft combine measurements are out.
   1870. SteveF Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:05 PM (#6025721)
Miles McBride probably climbs up some draft boards.
   1871. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:22 PM (#6025723)
That's a nice wingspan for Ayo Dosunmu.
   1872. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:39 PM (#6025727)
Viewership for the playoffs across ABC, TNT and ESPN is up 39% from last season, according to the NBA. More: pic.twitter.com/ixdN2DhH1C

Didn't empty stadium sports in general get poor ratings on TV? I don't know who JD Shaw is or whether this is a not so subtle shade at the NBA for writing Black Lives Matters on the court last year, which a lot of people credited to lowering ratings (and maybe it did, but there are confounding variables).
   1873. GregD Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:40 PM (#6025728)
10,000% chance this is coming from joerger (with an outside chance that it's coming from cassell):
some chance it's from Doc right?
   1874. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:55 PM (#6025730)
charlotte
protects: rozier, ball, graham(r), monk(r), hayward, bridges, washington, mcdaniel,
exposes: carey, richards, cody and caleb martin
ineligible: wanamaker, zeller, biyombo
you can argue for keeping a martin over one of the rfa guards if you have absolutely no plans to keep them (monk/graham).

chicago
protects: cody, lavine, williams, brown, young, arcidiacono, vucevic, markkanen(r)
exposes: satoransky, aminu, green(r)
ineligible: felicio, theis, valentine, temple
sato might be useful to keep for a trade (only half his 10m is guaranteed). i don't think they'll keep lauri in which case they could expose him.

cleveland
protects: sexton, garland, okoro, nance, wade, allen(r)
unsure (can keep 2): kabengele, stevens, windler, dotson, hartenstein(p), osman
exposes: love, prince
ineligible: delly
i have no idea for a lot of these guys - i guess i might know less about cleveland than i do most of the league? i think they like hartenstein but he's likely to opt out for more money. probably keep windler since he was a 1st rounder but he hasn't stayed healthy. you could argue to keep prince who has some skills but is really overpaid. they probably actually protect osman but i think he's low key terrible. likely add some kind of enticement if you take love off their hands.
   1875. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:58 PM (#6025731)
chicago
protects: cody, lavine, williams, brown, young, arcidiacono, vucevic, markkanen(r)
exposes: satoransky, aminu, green(r)
ineligible: felicio, theis, valentine, temple
sato might be useful to keep for a trade (only half his 10m is guaranteed). i don't think they'll keep lauri in which case they could expose him.

I don't think they're gonna keep Lauri either, but I see no reason to protect Archidiacono. I think they'd keep Sato in this case.
   1876. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: June 22, 2021 at 02:59 PM (#6025732)

draft combine measurements are out.

Scottie Barns - 6'7" with a 7'2.75" wingspan...dude has almost 4 extra inches in each arm.
   1877. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:12 PM (#6025735)
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania ·1h
The NBA has referred draft prospect Jared Butler of Baylor to a Fitness-To-Play Panel and Butler is not permitted to play or practice in the league until he is cleared, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

That just doesn't sound good.
   1878. I am going to be Frank Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:19 PM (#6025736)
What kind of centers are you going to need in the Olympics? The Spanish big men have given US trouble in the past, but the Gasol brothers are really old. Obviously Jokic (if Serbia qualifies) is going to be a problem, and you then you have Giannis and Gobert. With Bam and Draymond you get a lot of versatility but no shooting. Love does rebound better than Lopez with worse rim protection. I would think Myles Turner would be in the mix. Jarrett Allen gives you pretty good rim protection and rebounding plus is low maintenance.
   1879. Moses Taylor hashes out the rumpus Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:20 PM (#6025737)
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania ·3h
Phoenix Suns All-Star guard Chris Paul plans to commit to Team USA for the Tokyo Summer Olympics, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn ·4m
Phoenix Suns star Chris Paul has declined an invitation to play for Team USA in the Summer Olympics, league sources tell ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn ·1m
USA Basketball has known that Paul was trending toward this decision for several days, per sources. If Suns reach NBA Finals, there would be virtually no break before end of his NBA season and start of July Olympics in Tokyo.

Saucy.

Woj also says Jrue is gonna play.
   1880. asinwreck Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:21 PM (#6025738)
Yeah, I'd keep Sato over Arcidiacono as well, and I think there's an excellent chance both are cut loose during this actual non-expansion offseason.
   1881. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:26 PM (#6025739)
dallas
protects: doncic, burke, brunson, terry, richardson, green, finney-smith, kleber,
exposes: porzingis, melli(r), powell, cauley-stein(t)
ineligible: hardaway, redick, boban!
there's some room for argument here, obviously. might not believe in terry at all, for instance - or want to potentially lose richardson's contract. wcs is net neutral or mild positive if you like him.

denver
protects: murray, campazzo, morris, porter, gordon, jokic, nnaji
unsure: can keep one of bol, cancar, jamychal green(p)
exposes: barton(p)
ineligible: rivers, millsap, mcgee
i imagine they expose bol. i think green opts out but stays with the team on a new deal.

detroit
protects: hayes, jackson, bey, diallo(r), sekou, stewart, grant,
unsure (keep 1): smith(r), mcgruder, sirvydis, cook, plumlee
exposes: joseph, okafor
ineligible: ellington
i think they'd keep the matching rights to smith out of the four idks here. plumlee had a good year and only has 2/16.7 remaining (which is too much).
   1882. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:28 PM (#6025740)
arcidiacono is a team option - so they could cut him and lose nothing. sato makes 10m, 5m guaranteed. his trade value <10m and i don't think the bulls would want to eat any $.
ryan over sato is an easy call for chicago for me, though i don't think they care about arcidiacono.

put another way - protecting lauri or arcidiacono probably gains you nothing but certainly doesn't hurt you unless you want it to. protecting sato hurts you financially.
(i like sato as a player... just not the contract)
   1883. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:48 PM (#6025742)
some chance it's from Doc right?

nah, doc has nothing to gain from it. you saw from his postgame that he was willing to go in on simmons publicly, so why would he leak something anonymously 2 days later?

whoever leaked it has enough clout around the league to have a direct line to stephen a; smith isn't going public with this unless it's from a source he knows and trusts.
the source has to be someone who has the reputation to credibly criticize simmons' work ethic and/or coachability.
whoever this is hasn't worked with ben simmons for very long.
whoever leaked this has to have a strong motive for doing so; both joerger and cassell should be up for head coaching jobs in the near future, and being "in" with someone like stephen a smith is a good way to make sure your name comes up favorably when jobs are open. i could also see cassell leaking something like this because he thinks it "protects" doc rivers (even though it doesn't).

although it would also be pretty delicious if doc rivers, of all people, ripped into simmons for surrounding himself with family.
   1884. 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:49 PM (#6025743)
exposes: joseph, okafor
how DARE you.
   1885. asinwreck Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:55 PM (#6025744)
There's a bit of speculation out of Chicago that the Bulls may cut Sato for the $5m savings in order to secure cap room for free agency. This may not be based in discussions in the Advocate Center, as it seems this front office is circumspect enough that no one saw the deadline deals coming. What the Bulls will actually do of course depends on if they get lucky in the lottery tonight.

Speaking of the lottery, imagine what this thread will be like if this dog gets his way.
   1886. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 03:56 PM (#6025745)
i thought about putting okafor in the maybes!
--
1885 - right, that was my thinking. this way, they could potentially save 10m! (they wouldn't - he wouldn't be selected)
   1887. jmurph Posted: June 22, 2021 at 04:00 PM (#6025747)
Brandon “Scoop B” Robinson Round pushpin @ScoopB
Brooklyn Nets assistant coach Ime Udoka is believed to be a frontrunner in the Boston Celtics' Head Coaching search at the current moment.

(I don't think I know who this media source is, but he's followed by David Aldridge and Chris Haynes and other prominent people.)
   1888. asinwreck Posted: June 22, 2021 at 04:04 PM (#6025748)
I suppose the interesting angle is whether an expansion team would want Sato at $10m. He's...sort of a point guard? Sort of a wing? Not terribly aggressive penetrating or on the perimeter? He was a better distributor that White this year, though certainly not a solution for the Bulls' gaping PG hole. Of the final set of GarPax free agent signings, he was better than Kornet and worse than Young.

In your scenario, would the Bulls still have time to cut Sato and save the $5m if he goes unselected? If so, then I can see them doing as you suggest. In terms of the LaVine extension, I wouldn't be surprised if the only players from this current roster still with the team 12 months from now are LaVine, Vooch, and Williams, with roster changes done in the spirit of having room for LaVine's next contract.
   1889. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 04:11 PM (#6025750)
in my scenario, i guess the draft is as of today (setting aside the playoffs) so they would have time, yes. or if selected, the expansion team could wait and cut him and only pay $5m. it wouldn't impact contractual deadlines...

i kept waiting for him to be more of a ...something than he turned out to be - i guess he's spackle.

expansion team might pursue him, but after he's cut. or go after, say, a cam payne?
---
paul won't play in the olympics after all.
   1890. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 04:44 PM (#6025755)
golden state
protects: curry, poole, lee, wiggins, toscano-anderson, wiseman, green, paschall
exposes: klay, mitten, smailagic, looney(p)
ineligible: bazemore, oubre
this could be massively wrong. if i run gs, do i mind losing wiggins? or green? it ends their window, for sure, but that's probably already over?

houston
protects: bradley(t), porter, house, tate, martin, wood, thomas, wilson(r)
exposes: wall, augustin, gordon
ineligible: exum, nwaba, brown, olynyk
wonder what houston would give a team to get rid of wall?

indiana - this one is hard! reasonable values available here
protects: brogdon, a.holiday, lavert, warren, j.holiday, brissett, sabonis, turner
exposes: martin, bitadze, sumner(t), lamb
ineligible: mcconnell, mcdermott, sampson
bitadze hasn't been any good in the nba so far and centers are easy to find. sumner has a sneaky good season as a rotation guard. lamb is an average 2 guard when healthy but makes 8 figures, isn't always healthy, and isn't part of the long run plan.
   1891. aberg Posted: June 22, 2021 at 04:53 PM (#6025756)
If I'm coming at this expansion draft as the GM of the Sonics, I'd be looking at longer-term projects and lottery tickets rather than guys who can get me to respectability in year one. Not surprisingly, most of the interesting guys are in the "unsure" section. If anyone from this list gets exposed, I'd target them: Reddish, Edwards/Langford, Kabengele, Windler, whichever Martin is the good shooter (I can't be expected to remember these things!), Bol. If there's a reason to try to get currently good players, Barton, Jamychal Green, Gallo would all be solid. Taking on the contract of Love, Horford, or Porzingis seems like a bad idea, even if they're still ok.
   1892. DCA Posted: June 22, 2021 at 04:54 PM (#6025757)
GSW definitely expose Wiggins. He had a decent year, but there's still a lot of negative value on that contract. Being the league's #1 vaccine idiot doesn't help either. I think they certainly keep Draymond, he's not that expensive, and he's still their second-best player. I'm not sure what to do about Klay. He's deadweight of course, until he proves otherwise, but he's also a franchise icon and the PR hit from letting him go (or even threatening to) might be a lot more than what they are paying him.
   1893. aberg Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:01 PM (#6025758)
Yeah, I think GSW has too much emotional investment in Steph, Klay, Dray to expose any of them. Of course, this draft isn't happening now, and if it happens in a year, we'll know a lot more about Klay's health, for better or worse.
   1894. aberg Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:03 PM (#6025759)
wonder what houston would give a team to get rid of wall?

Isn't the most likely scenario that they pocket the pick they got from WAS and let the contract run down or eventually buy him out?
   1895. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:06 PM (#6025760)
clippers
protects: george, mann, kawhi, morris, oturu, zubac, beverley, rondo
exposes: kennard, ibaka(p), rondo, ferrell
ineligible: jackson, batum, patterson, cousins
if ibaka is healthy, he's the 8th protection. ferrell has no value, rondo and kennard are negative. so i have them protecting rondo, i guess?

lakers
protects: james, davis, kuzma, tht(r), kcp
unsure (protect 2): mckinnie, harrell, gasol
exposes: one of the three above
ineligible: schroeder, caruso, dudley, mclemore, morris, drummond, matthews
it's "which of those 3 do they want to ditch?" i'd guess mckinnie (who they wouldn't care about) but if they want to lose someone's salary, this is their chance.

memphis
protects: morant, brooks, bane, anderson, clarke, jackson, jonas
unsure (keep 1): melton or tillman
exposes: jones, winslow(t), porter, allen, konchar
ineligible: frazier
memphis is probably deeper for this exercise than any other team and would presumably make trades beforehand with some of this depth.
   1896. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:07 PM (#6025761)
1894 - yeah, but rumor is that ownership is hella tight with cash
   1897. asinwreck Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:09 PM (#6025762)
The fun aspect of a basketball expansion draft is the GM could target 3-4 high upside projects and then fill the roster out with veterans to acclimate the young players to the rigors of the league and have some functional rotations. If the team is required to hit a salary floor, that could incentivize using the 5th or 6th pick to take a Draymond Green or Kemba Walker.

I think the Warriors would expose Wiggins over Klay, in part because he's such a recognizable part of the team that was going to move into the shiny new arena and they think fans have expectations that the stars of the title team can restore past glories. Durant looked great in his recovery, so maybe that's not a complete fantasy.
   1898. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:14 PM (#6025763)
oh - expansion team does have to meet the floor, is subject to the cap, etc.... - but in year 1 their threshold is 80% of the league threshold, 90% in year 2 (player minimums, mles, etc... are at the same levels as for everybody else). if an expansion team had a rich owner, they could get, say, paid off to take kevin love (have picks attached) and then dump him so that they can play rookies in that spot without love counting against the cap (has to be off the roster by opening night, iirc).
---
i dunno about klay - he's missed the last two seasons and has over 3/120 left on the deal. that's so much money!! wiggins only has 2/65 left and was useful for the warriors, even if i don't like his game. shot 38% from three, the defense is improving, averaged 18.6 points, has some positional flexibility, is still just 26.
   1899. smileyy Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:20 PM (#6025765)
I don't think the Warriors window is over, at least as conference contenders...not until Klay comes back and we see how well he's able to be Klay again. I remember posts here talking about how the Warriors seem like they're just one guy away from being a very good team, and, well, they might get that guy back.
   1900. asinwreck Posted: June 22, 2021 at 05:28 PM (#6025769)
To be clear, I would have anxiety attacks over Klay Thompson's contract on my roster. But Joe Lacob may feel keeping the Splash Brothers together a while longer will generate more ticket sales than Wiggins growing into adequacy.

I really wonder how tonight's lottery will affect the Warriors. If they somehow get picks 1 and 4, what will their offseason look like?
Page 19 of 50 pages ‹ First  < 17 18 19 20 21 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogCarlton Fisk kept it fair, but Keith Olbermann’s attempt to sell historic ball is foul
(39 - 7:10pm, Oct 22)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogChris Taylor hits 3 home runs, leads Dodgers to huge NLCS Game 5 win over Braves
(2 - 7:08pm, Oct 22)
Last: Jack Sommers

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(277 - 7:05pm, Oct 22)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogThe fans' way at Fenway: loud, louder, loudest
(57 - 7:01pm, Oct 22)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-21-2021
(16 - 6:59pm, Oct 22)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogIt’s time for the city of Chicago to repeal the Wrigley Field night game ordinance
(28 - 6:16pm, Oct 22)
Last: McCoy

Newsblog2021 LCS OMNICHATTER!
(596 - 6:10pm, Oct 22)
Last: JJ1986

NewsblogYankees GM Brian Cashman says club will 'address' shortstop and 'evaluate' catcher positions
(14 - 6:08pm, Oct 22)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-22-2021
(5 - 5:46pm, Oct 22)
Last: vortex of dissipation

Sox TherapyThe Boston Red Sox Will Play for the Pennant
(192 - 5:28pm, Oct 22)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(459 - 5:14pm, Oct 22)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogDodgers Albert Pujols Hits the COVID-19 Injured List
(223 - 12:28pm, Oct 22)
Last: 57i66135 is available to babysit, for a price

NewsblogNew MLB CBA should include amnesty clause
(18 - 8:22am, Oct 22)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogBaseball Games Are Still Too Long—and Getting Longer
(110 - 5:52am, Oct 22)
Last: McCoy

NewsblogMLB Just Tried a Bunch of Experimental Rules in the Minors. How Well Did They Work?
(8 - 11:41pm, Oct 21)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

Page rendered in 0.5635 seconds
48 querie(s) executed