Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

nbcwashington: Nats Get No Respect—Not Even From Obama

President Barack Obama dissed the Nats in more ways than one way Tuesday night at the All-Star Game in St. Louis.

First of all, him just showing up to throw out the first pitch at the game was a slap in the face, since he has yet to do that at Nationals Park (But don’t worry, Nats, you’re not alone in this one. The Caps are still waiting for Obama to drop a puck at the Verizon Center, too.)

But for Obama to walk out onto the field in a White Sox jacket ... well, that almost made the Lerner family stop swimming in their big swimming pools full of money just long enough to cry. Almost.

After throwing out the first pitch, Obama then made his way up to the broadcast booth to talk some baseball with Joe Buck and that McGruber guy. The boys start discussing parity in the league, and Obama drops a bombshell:

“There’s a lot of parity, which I think is terrific, because it means everybody around the country has a little bit of hope for their team,” Obama said.

Wait for it… Wait for it…

“Maybe with the exception of the Nationals.”

Coot Veal and Cot Deal taste like Old Bay Posted: July 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM | 112 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nationals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Win one for Agrippa (haplo53) Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:01 PM (#3255316)
BARTLET
I am excited about it! You come to the end of a long day, you sit back, you open a beer, you watch a sporting event. That’s what men do.

CHARLIE
Girls’ softball.

BARTLET
If that’s what’s on, then that’s what they watch. It’s either that, or a cricket match
between Scotland and Bermuda. Now, I am an educated man, Charlie, but when someone tries
to explain cricket to me, all I want to do is hit him in the head with a teapot.
   102. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:21 PM (#3255354)
It is entirely fair to draw inferences in determining the levels of fandom, it is human nature. If there's a new guy in the office and he tells me he's a huge [TEAM NAME] Fan, it won't take me long to determine whether or not he's a casual fan, or sincerely hard core.

Clues that say yes: (let's say we're talking about White Sox)
Subscribes to MLB Extra Innings/MLB TV and knows home team announcers. ("I miss Hawk and Wimpy as a team, but Stoney isn't bad."
Knows how/when players were acquired (remembers how A.J. was acquired)
Is aware of obscure events in franchise history (can immediately recall two-day, 25 inning game vs Brewers)

Clues that say not hardcore:
Gets name of stadium wrong ("Comiskey Field/ Comiskey Stadium/ White Sox Stadium"
Is wholly unaware of the trading deadline (???)
Doesn't know who the GM is. ("Isn't it Reinsdorf?")
   103. Alex_Lewis Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:22 PM (#3255355)

BARTLET
If that’s what’s on, then that’s what they watch. It’s either that, or a cricket match
between Scotland and Bermuda. Now, I am an educated man, Charlie, but when someone tries
to explain cricket to me, all I want to do is hit him in the head with a teapot.

Heh. I lived in England for a year, but I'm still not entirely certain on it all... And this was after playing. It involves a lot of running between the wickets. I'm good at 'striking' and 'bowling,' so they were able to find a role for me.

An Englishman attempted to explain the correlation between 'small ball' games (like baseball and cricket) and literature, but I wasn't able to follow.
   104. Hombre Brotani Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:26 PM (#3255360)
I think the thing about Obama is that he's pretty clearly a big sports fan generally. Hoops is obviously his main thing, but he strikes me as the sort of guy who just understands the sports-fan culture and enjoys participating in it...
That sounds about right. Around here, the phrase "casual fan" is a pejorative because the folks around here are the hard core of the hard core, but Obama's probably typical of the American sports fan: he follows one with great interest, and the other via Sportscenter.
   105. Mr Dashwood Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:29 PM (#3255366)
I assume every cricket match (game? bout?) will involve a brilliant performance by somebody who was wrongly accused of stealing or something.

That just about covers the entire history of Australian Test match victories.
   106. The Good Face Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:31 PM (#3255371)
I assume every cricket match (game? bout?) will involve a brilliant performance by somebody who was correctly accused of stealing or something.

That just about covers the entire history of Australian Test match victories.

Fixed that for you.
   107. Morty Causa Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:35 PM (#3255374)
At ease. This will all be fully covered and thoroughly explained at the forthcoming Summit of the Sabermetric Gee-9 in the Fall, which the President will shortly announced at a press conference that he plans to call. As Commissioner Bud Turgidselig put it: "Mr. President, we cannot afford a cheap shot gap!"
   108. jayjay Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:53 PM (#3255407)
Esoteric: As Tom Nawrocki pointed out in #95 just before your reply, the President seems to show a lot of knowledge that is more than that of a "casual fan." But if your friends of friends say otherwise, then I guess it is so.
   109. The Polish Sausage Racer Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:53 PM (#3255409)
The one time I met John Kerry I happened to be wearing a Red Sox cap; he said, "Love your hat." FWIW.
   110. jayjay Posted: July 15, 2009 at 07:56 PM (#3255412)
Obama video at MLB.com
President to Derek Jeter: "I've been a big (casual) fan for a long time."
   111. DL from MN Posted: July 15, 2009 at 08:16 PM (#3255441)
Sarah Palin didn't even know Pennsylvania had 2 MLB teams...
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogYankees, White Sox benches clear after Josh Donaldson calls Tim Anderson 'Jackie' Robinson
(3 - 12:37am, May 22)
Last: Bull Pain

NewsblogRoger Angell, Who Wrote About Baseball With Passion, Dies at 101
(43 - 12:14am, May 22)
Last: Infinite Yost (Voxter)

NewsblogFormer Giants fan-favorite infielder Joe Panik retires from MLB
(10 - 12:00am, May 22)
Last: baxter

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(1703 - 11:40pm, May 21)
Last: spivey

NewsblogSeattle Mariners sign Justin Upton
(2 - 11:22pm, May 21)
Last: they sit at the same 57i66135 and eat sometimes

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER for May 20-22, 2022
(50 - 10:55pm, May 21)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

Sox TherapyOne Step Forward
(16 - 4:59pm, May 21)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Crowning Champions and Pro-Rel
(130 - 4:56pm, May 21)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogJuan Soto trade rumors: Nationals may be 'motivated' to trade outfielder
(50 - 1:52pm, May 21)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogZach Davies’ estranged wife says MLB pitcher ghosted her for a year
(56 - 12:32pm, May 21)
Last: base ball chick

NewsblogNew York Mets' Max Scherzer out 6-8 weeks with oblique strain
(16 - 12:25pm, May 21)
Last: nick swisher hygiene

NewsblogSports Venues Create Quiet Refuge for Fans with Sensory Needs
(2 - 7:23pm, May 20)
Last: AndrewJ

NewsblogSports teams love crypto. What happens when their sponsor strikes out?
(8 - 6:50pm, May 20)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogChris Paddack’s medical red flag killed Mets-Padres deal
(8 - 4:25pm, May 20)
Last: Karl from NY

NewsblogMLB, Not the NBA, Needs Its Own Separate In-Season Tournament
(12 - 12:00pm, May 20)
Last: Buck Coats

Page rendered in 0.3268 seconds
48 querie(s) executed