Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 05, 2010

NC Times: Jerry Coleman will have reduced role in 2010

“I’ve never seen a game like this. Every game this year has been like this.”

John Lynch, president and CEO of the Broadcast Company of the Americas——the parent company of XX Sports Radio 1090, the Padres’ flagship station——said Coleman will call only 20-30 home day games.

Coleman will still be involved every day, however, doing pregame features.

“What does that mean?” Coleman said. “I guess I’ll be doing the ‘Manager’s Report’ like I’ve always done. “Honestly, I haven’t been told much. “At my age, I’m still fortunate to be working. I’m happy to have a job with the Padres and with XX. Really, I’m delighted to be working.”

Lynch said he has the utmost respect for Coleman, 85, and that he “will be involved as long as he wants.”

“We want to be very respectful of Jerry,” Lynch said. “But we also have to think about the station and our audience. We feel this is a more appropriate role.

“Jerry would still like to be playing second base for the Yankees. But things change.”

Coleman, jokingly, said that’s not true.

“If I had my way, I’d be playing second base for the Padres, play 10 games, get hurt and make $4 million,” said Coleman, the 1949 American League Rookie of the Year and 1950 World Series MVP as a member of the New York Yankees.

Repoz Posted: February 05, 2010 at 04:13 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: announcers, padres, television

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Leroy Kincaid Posted: February 05, 2010 at 12:15 PM (#3454572)
He's hardly ever on as it is. That's too bad. I like the old-timers and the guy he's usually paired with is obnoxious.
   2. Autobahn Posted: February 05, 2010 at 12:43 PM (#3454581)
Am i just deluded here? Or did MLB.tv have a plan last year to sync up the live game feed with the play-by-play radio commentary?
   3. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: February 05, 2010 at 01:02 PM (#3454584)
Coleman's“Jerry would still like to be playing second base for the Yankees. But things change.”

Coleman, jokingly, said that’s not true.

“If I had my way, I’d be playing second base for the Padres, play 10 games, get hurt and make $4 million,” said Coleman,

Well, the Padres at least gave him the respect of retiring his number.
   4. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: February 05, 2010 at 01:18 PM (#3454587)
he may not be hurt as much as he really is
   5. depletion Posted: February 05, 2010 at 01:39 PM (#3454593)
Thanks for the quotes link, Pasta-diving. Priceless. Baseball is one of the few areas of American society in which old folks are not forgotten about or shunned, but actually sought out.
Well, I've got to go throw up in the bullpen now.
Regards,
Tim
   6. Starring RMc as Bradley Scotchman Posted: February 05, 2010 at 02:07 PM (#3454604)
Fun fact: One of Coleman's teammates on the '49 Yankees was Tommy "Old Reliable" Heinrich, who was born in 1913....and died just two months ago, at the age of 96.
   7. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: February 05, 2010 at 02:09 PM (#3454606)
Thanks for the quotes link, Pasta-diving. Priceless. Baseball is one of the few areas of American society in which old folks are not forgotten about or shunned, but actually sought out.
Well, I've got to go throw up in the bullpen now.

But if Chip Carey said "Derek Jeter slides into second with a stand up double", we'd snark him to death here, wouldn't we?
   8. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: February 05, 2010 at 02:23 PM (#3454618)
True, but if Chip Carey had been an all-star second baseman and flown 120 combat missions in two wars, we'd probably cut him a little more slack.
   9. CraigK Posted: February 05, 2010 at 02:39 PM (#3454624)
"There's a deep fly ball... Winfield goes back, back... his head hits the wall ... it's rolling towards second base."

"At the end of six innings of play, it's Montreal 5, Expos 3."

"Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."

"Sometimes, big trees grow out of acorns. I think I heard that from a squirrel."
   10. rr Posted: February 05, 2010 at 03:12 PM (#3454647)
"Art Howe's a nice guy, but he doesn't have a hair on his head."

"One time in Kansas City at old Municipal Stadium, it was so hot you couldn't believe it, so Rizzuto and I decided to take our pants off in the booth and do the game in our shorts. No one could see us, right? So about the sixth inning someone was complaning and I said, 'Don't look at me. Rizzuto's bow-legged.' "

like the old-timers and the guy he's usually paired with is obnoxious.

Ted Leitner. Most obnoxious announcer I have ever heard.
   11. depletion Posted: February 05, 2010 at 03:33 PM (#3454657)
#7. I wouldn't. Speak for yourself. I don't get too uptight about the quality of announcers, as I'm usually happy to have the time to listen to or watch a game. If a guy's too negative or makes offensive ethnic comments I don't care for it, but mistakes and over-analysis don't bother me.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogShohei Ohtani has sore arm, might not pitch again this season
(6 - 9:42am, Sep 17)
Last: Rally

Sox TherapyShrug
(154 - 9:24am, Sep 17)
Last: villageidiom

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13941 - 8:53am, Sep 17)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogKC Royals ‘need to start thinking’ about a new stadium, possibly downtown, owner says
(54 - 8:44am, Sep 17)
Last: bunyon

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-15-2021
(8 - 6:40am, Sep 17)
Last: Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama

NewsblogIs it already time for another WEEKLY OMNICHATTER?, for September 13-16, 2021
(144 - 5:44am, Sep 17)
Last: TomH

NewsblogRyan Braun retires after 14 seasons
(28 - 2:17am, Sep 17)
Last: Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes

NewsblogDoes Javier Báez’s enigmatic nature make his impending free agency messier?
(16 - 10:56pm, Sep 16)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

NewsblogSeattle Mariners to host 2023 MLB All-Star Game, sources say
(1 - 8:01pm, Sep 16)
Last: Jeff Francoeur's OPS

Newsblog8th? BBTF Central Park Softball Game: SEPT 18, 2021
(211 - 7:08pm, Sep 16)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogThere are only about 3-to-5 candidates to run Mets -- here’s who we think they are
(11 - 6:33pm, Sep 16)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Transfer! Kits! Other Stuff!
(255 - 4:52pm, Sep 16)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-16-2021
(3 - 2:22pm, Sep 16)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogThe Storyteller of the White Sox
(15 - 1:40pm, Sep 16)
Last: Itchy Row

NewsblogThe Past, Present, and Future of International Scouting
(6 - 1:19pm, Sep 16)
Last: Jay Seaver

Page rendered in 0.3296 seconds