Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 23, 2019

Ned Yost, manager of Royals’ 2015 World Series championship team, will retire

Ned Yost, the Royals’ career leader in managerial victories who guided the franchise to the 2015 World Series championship, will retire after the 2019 season ends Sunday.

The Royals announced Yost’s retirement on Monday morning, the day after the team hit the 100-loss mark for the second straight season. He was the first Royals manager to lead the franchise to back-to-back American League pennants and finishes with a 22-9 postseason record.

“With the development of our young players and our returning veterans, I feel and hope the worst is behind us in this rebuilding phase of our organization,” Yost said in a release. “My plan all along was to get us through the rough times then turn it over to a new manager to bring us the rest of the way.

Zach Posted: September 23, 2019 at 01:09 PM | 18 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ned yost, retirements, royals

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: September 23, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5882219)
bump
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 23, 2019 at 01:35 PM (#5882224)
Lots of haters, but he won a ring. Best wishes, Ned.

Lots of reports Mike Matheny will replace him which is.....not good.
   3. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 23, 2019 at 02:08 PM (#5882240)
He’s 64 years old, so he may be quite happy to retire now. He should be financially set, has a good pension, and could easily obtain ‘no heavy lifting’ jobs in baseball or the media if he’s interested.
   4. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 23, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5882244)
Does his Hall of Fame plaque have a Royals cap or a Brewers cap?
   5. salvomania Posted: September 23, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5882250)
Good god, pity the poor Royals fans.

Matheny has the personality of a sidewalk, is terrible at managing young players, and is known to wear Christian Camo.

Have fun.
   6. The Duke Posted: September 23, 2019 at 02:55 PM (#5882265)
Matheny hopefully has picked up his failures and will
Hire coaches accordingly.

He needs a good strategist because he can’t think ahead, he needs a good pitching coach who knows how to deploy the bullpen, he needs a good hitting coach because he knows nothing about hitting, he’s resistant to analytics and will need a persistent front office to force usage of analytics, and he needs a good bench coach who works well with the players because he is inflexible and old school.

Otherwise he’s fine
   7. Zach Posted: September 23, 2019 at 04:21 PM (#5882309)
He'll be missed, I think.

His best quality was to go all in on a young player and stick with him through early struggles. He was good at finding roles where a player with unbalanced skills could succeed.

His worst quality was sticking too long with a player who wasn't going to succeed.

Probably a good time to step away. The Royals are going to be a multi year rebuilding project at best, and they need someone who can stay around for the whole process.
   8. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: September 24, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5882600)
Shut up, Ned.
   9. Esoteric Posted: September 24, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5882638)
Ned Yost may not be anyone's idea of a great manager, but from all accounts he was and is an excellent person (see, e.g. the recent Danny Duffy story posted here). That sort of kindness and gentle interpersonal touch is its own reward, but I'm also glad that Yost got his World Series championship and got to retire on his own terms as well.
   10. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 24, 2019 at 02:16 PM (#5882645)
Do we think he'll be the last "Ned" in MLB for at least, say, 50 years? Or have the hipsters started naming their kids "Ned" ironically already?
   11. Esoteric Posted: September 24, 2019 at 02:37 PM (#5882654)
Any "Edward" or "Edgar" can be a "Ned," that's where the nickname came from.

Who I really feel bad for are the kids whose parents named their little guy "Neddard" after watching too much Game Of Thrones.
   12. Itchy Row Posted: September 24, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5882659)
Ned Darley played in the minor leagues from 1990 to 2009. He mostly played in independent or foreign leagues because of the laws against people named Ned.
   13. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 24, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5882660)
Who I really feel bad for are the kids whose parents named their little guy "Neddard" after watching too much Game Of Thrones.
I feel sorry for any kid whose parents are into Game of Thrones* enough to name their kid after a character.

*Or any TV show, really. But GoT in particular.
   14. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: September 24, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5882663)
Kind of amazing how winning a championship rehabs reps. Ned Yost verbally assaulted JJ Hardy during a game so harshly Yost instigated a physical fight between him and teammates coming to Hardy's defense, he insulted the black players by having that ####### loser Larry the Cable Guy hang around the team because he thought this clown was funny but the GM told him to disappear his friend after the black players complained and then Yost gets the nickname Nervous Ned by the players in 2008 because of how he got 20 kinds of tight when he had to make a bullpen decision.

Pretty amazing
   15. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 24, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5882679)
I think he learned a lot from his experience in Milwaukee and evolved over time.
   16. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: September 24, 2019 at 04:22 PM (#5882691)
I feel sorry for any kid whose parents are into Game of Thrones* enough to name their kid after a character.

*Or any TV show, really. But GoT in particular.
It isn't a TV show, but Donovan Osborne was supposedly named for the hero of the John Wayne movie Donovan's Reef. Not sure that's any better, except that "Donovan" stands out less than "Jorah" or "Jaqen" or whatever.
   17. Zach Posted: September 24, 2019 at 07:30 PM (#5882729)
One thing I'll take away from the Ned Yost Experience is a new appreciation for pushbutton managers.

Yost was no tactical genius, but he ran a cohesive and strife-free clubhouse, his players played hard for him, the young guys developed, and people tended to embrace their role. That includes guys like Jarrod Dyson who had a very nontraditional role.

If you told me the next guy would have those virtues, I wouldn't mind a gratuitous bunt every once in a while.
   18. Lassus Posted: September 24, 2019 at 08:10 PM (#5882737)

Eddard was the name of the character, with Ned as a nickname.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.