Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, July 10, 2020

Nick Markakis has opted out of 2020 season

In announcing his decision, Markakis said, “with everything that’s going on not just in baseball but in the world, it makes you open your eyes. I’ve got three kids that I’ve missed for 11 years now.” He added that he recently spoke with teammate Freddie Freeman — who has COVID-19 and has been quite sick — calling it “tough and eye opening . . . he didn’t sound good.” Markakis said that “the decision I’m making to sit out this year is the right one for me and my family.”

Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 10, 2020 at 06:27 AM | 19 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: atlanta braves, covid-19,

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: July 10, 2020 at 07:55 AM (#5962068)
Apropos of nothing, everytime I see his name I just think of the bleacher creature chant: "Nick Markakis is a horse's ass...Nick Markakis is a horse's ass."
   2. Rough Carrigan Posted: July 10, 2020 at 09:05 AM (#5962071)
Hey, he's got a lot of money and good for him for wanting to see more of his kids.
If he thinks he's got a lot to worry about with the virus, I think he should read more.
Here's one article that makes some good points: https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=239667
   3. SoSH U at work Posted: July 10, 2020 at 09:35 AM (#5962072)
Here's one article that makes some good points: https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=239667

That's too many words and not quite enough all caps for my taste. Do you have a grainy You Tube video I can watch?
   4. Itchy Row Posted: July 10, 2020 at 10:19 AM (#5962079)
FACT: Masks against Covid-19 do not work becasue under the laws of physics they can't
You can't argue with that becasue under the laws of argue you can't.
   5. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 10, 2020 at 10:29 AM (#5962081)
Logging in or registering will improve your experience here

It will delete this nonsense from the internet with extreme prejudice and burn to the ground that server that hosted it?
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM (#5962083)
That link takes me to a time machine where I am transported to a 2002 Geocities page.
   7. Howie Menckel Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM (#5962087)
60 hits in 60 games for Nick would have allowed him to pass FISK, TRAMMELL, Whitaker, MYoung, BrButler, ROUSH, ChiDavis, SLAUGHTER, SANDBERG, McInnis, Tejada, and Sosa while tying MANTLE.

Nick is 4th of the 4 active players with 2000+ hits (he has 2355). the others are Pujols, MCabrera, Cano.

on the the other hand, Nick is an RF with a modest career OPS+ of 109.
   8. SoSH U at work Posted: July 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM (#5962089)
60 hits in 60 games for Nick would have allowed him to pass FISK, TRAMMELL, Whitaker, MYoung, BrButler, ROUSH, ChiDavis, SLAUGHTER, SANDBERG, McInnis, Tejada, and Sosa while tying MANTLE.

This season probably kills off the last bit of hope for Nick Markakis, 3,000-hit club member and first-ballot Hall casualty.

Rats.

9. Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer Posted: July 10, 2020 at 12:14 PM (#5962103)
Markakis was one of those players whose box score I would check pretty often to see if he was if he could be the worst player of my lifetime to get to 3000 hits, and thus cause the collision between the "3,000 hits is automatic HOFer" and "but you have to be a HOF player".

Harold Baines sort of already broke through that by being the player of my lifetime who was able to be a weak "compiler" candidate who was not able to compile 3,000 hits...but still get in the HOF. As a child of the 80s who loves baseball, the idea that Harold Baines is in the HOF, but Lou Whitaker is not, is really disappointing.
   10. baxter Posted: July 10, 2020 at 01:02 PM (#5962113)
#2 I read the post and the two pages of comments; it is helpful to see a variety of viewpoints.

As to the post itself, I did not understand much of it. It appears to say that the US will end up where Sweden is. Sweden's death rate is .06% of the population (that is a quote). I do not understand the poster's methodology; so it is not something I am going to accept.

Looking through the comments, generally, the commentators cast blame on liberals and government employees.

One I did note was from someone identified as Mannfm11 who describes going to Costco and pulling his mask down to his chin he says he got a couple of stares. He figured out a comeback, "If your mask works so well, why are you worried about mine?"
-- I disagree with that attitude. One can find article after article stating that the masks protect others, by diminishing the wearer's droplets.

Another poster M1919a2 also describes going to Costco without wearing a mask; the poster identifies as 71 years old and formerly in the military.

--I certainly am projecting when I say this, but people do not like to be told what do; it is disempowering. It is unfortunate that some people consider it a massive affront to be required to wear a mask while in a store.

My understanding of the flattening the curve is that it would not eliminate the deaths, but spread them out so that medical facilities could handle them, also would allow for more time to deal with the consequences of the virus.

All the posters in that forum also appear to ignore consequences other than fatalities, which include the vascular and neurological complications.

So, Mr. Rough Carrigan, I assume you are not one of the posters I have cited, but if you can explain what justifies their attitude, I will gladly listen (does not mean I will agree).

thank you and be well
   11. Adam Starblind Posted: July 10, 2020 at 01:17 PM (#5962116)
As to the post itself, I did not understand much of it. It appears to say that the US will end up where Sweden is. Sweden's death rate is .06% of the population (that is a quote). I do not understand the poster's methodology; so it is not something I am going to accept.

That would be about 200,000 dead Americans, which is as good a guesstimate as any.
   12. Adam Starblind Posted: July 10, 2020 at 01:21 PM (#5962117)
The Wikipedia page for the article's author describes him as "an American technology businessman, finance blogger, and political activist, sometimes referred to as a founding member of the Tea Party movement."

He is probably a person with some abilities, but I can't imagine why anyone would value his opinion on this subject.
   13. Mayor Blomberg Posted: July 10, 2020 at 01:31 PM (#5962121)
Now why Sweden is a better model, chugging along at 545 deaths/M than Denmark (105) or Norway (46), I'm very interested to hear. How many collateral deaths is one's right to selfish behavior worth?

He is probably a person with some abilities, but I can't imagine why anyone would value his opinion on this subject.

Because he said what one wanted to hear when knowledgeable people don't?
   14. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 10, 2020 at 01:55 PM (#5962128)
The Wikipedia page for the article's author describes him as "an American technology businessman, finance blogger, and political activist, sometimes referred to as a founding member of the Tea Party movement."

It also notes that he made his fortune off of taxpayer money in Chicago. Freedom!
   15. Adam Starblind Posted: July 10, 2020 at 01:59 PM (#5962131)

Because he said what one wanted to hear when knowledgeable people don't?

Well there's that.

When the Tea Party freaked out over Obamacare, I didn't agree but I understood. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would evolve to actually become pro disease.
   16. SoSH U at work Posted: July 10, 2020 at 02:20 PM (#5962136)
It also notes that he made his fortune off of taxpayer money in Chicago.

I just wanted to learn more about the artistic output of his highly independent daughter.
   17. baxter Posted: July 10, 2020 at 03:20 PM (#5962150)
Thank you. I did look up that wikipedia page. The author does sound like a person of some accomplishment. His views on finance, particularly the bailouts, sound intriguing. However, that background does not provide any particular expertise in the area of public health.
   18. tshipman Posted: July 10, 2020 at 03:28 PM (#5962153)
Is the website linked in post 2 an intentional or unintentional parody of Real ultimate power?

19. Howie Menckel Posted: July 10, 2020 at 05:11 PM (#5962176)
but enough about Nick Markakis!

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOakland Athletics OF Ramon Laureano charges Houston Astros dugout, sparks brawl
(14 - 1:06am, Aug 10)
Last: Astroenteritis

NewsblogRules for pitcher feats in 7-inning twin bills
(16 - 12:44am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(8859 - 12:21am, Aug 10)
Last: Mayor Blomberg

NewsblogYankees' Aaron Boone argues with umpires about air horn being blown outside Phillies' ballpark
(1 - 11:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogOff the glove and over the fence! Texas Rangers’ Nick Solak homers in unique fashion.
(7 - 10:05pm, Aug 09)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER! for August 8-9, 2010
(45 - 9:23pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Hall of Merit2021 Hall of Merit Ballot Discussion
(343 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: kcgard2

NewsblogWhat Happened to MLB's Elite First Basemen?
(10 - 9:20pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(43 - 9:10pm, Aug 09)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogBA: 2020 Minor League Free Agents Will Be Eligible For Free Agency This Fall
(7 - 9:07pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(6 - 9:03pm, Aug 09)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogCubs-Cardinals series opener postponed over another positive coronavirus test
(17 - 8:44pm, Aug 09)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

NewsblogWhy MLB didn't use bubble plan for 2020 regular season; and what league insiders think of the decision
(7 - 8:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogChris Iannetta retires after Yankees send catcher to alternate site
(4 - 6:00pm, Aug 09)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogA's bench coach sorry for 'unintentionally' making apparent Nazi salute
(86 - 5:31pm, Aug 09)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

Page rendered in 0.3118 seconds
48 querie(s) executed