Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 15, 2022

OMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Hombre Brotani Posted: August 15, 2022 at 04:03 PM | 236 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 
   1. yo la tengo (the poor man's Ron Darling) Posted: August 15, 2022 at 04:18 PM (#6091748)
Big week for the Mets. Four games in four days in ATL then four games in three days in Philly. Would honestly be happy if they split each series.
   2. Walt Davis Posted: August 15, 2022 at 04:19 PM (#6091749)
Most of y'll probably already thought of this but Uncle Walt's User Guide for the weekly Omnichatter:

Up there next to Hombre's name and the number of comments, ya got your bookmark option. Click that. It'll stick over on the right hand menu for you. When the week's over, click it again and the bookmark is deleted. Beats having to (gasp!) scroll/page down to find the thread.
   3. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: August 15, 2022 at 04:27 PM (#6091750)
Big week for the Mets.
I'm not sure I've ever rooted for the end of August to arrive as much as this year. Of the Mets' final 31 games, only seven are against clubs boasting a winning record.
   4. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: August 15, 2022 at 04:36 PM (#6091752)
Uh oh, Guillorme is expected out for 3-4 weeks. Does the club promote Vientos or Baty? Or might it again be Blankenhorn?
   5. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: August 15, 2022 at 04:59 PM (#6091758)
DiComo:
Brett Baty and Mark Vientos are not options to be activated, per Buck Showalter.
So... Blankenhorn? I mean, who else is there?
   6. cardsfanboy Posted: August 15, 2022 at 05:02 PM (#6091759)
Up there next to Hombre's name and the number of comments, ya got your bookmark option. Click that. It'll stick over on the right hand menu for you. When the week's over, click it again and the bookmark is deleted. Beats having to (gasp!) scroll/page down to find the thread.

Lol.. I completely forgot about the bookmark option. I have some still up from years ago (Posnanski baseball 100 rules, Jim Edmons better than Andruw Jones?, Joe Mauer retires.)
   7. Walt Davis Posted: August 15, 2022 at 07:39 PM (#6091778)
Similar CFB ... and most of the ones I do have are misclicks. I wasn't sure if they could be removed but (hooray!) they can be.
   8. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 15, 2022 at 07:58 PM (#6091783)
There are some really good series going on right now:
NY/Rays
NY/Braves
Orioles/Jays-didn't think I be adding the O's to a list like this late in the season
LA/Brewers
Astros/ChiSox
Cubs/Na....errr, no.
   9. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 15, 2022 at 08:04 PM (#6091785)
Anthony Rizzo HBP square in the upper thigh, but umpire claims he made insufficient effort to avoid contact. Don’t think I, or perhaps anyone else, has seen that call where the batter wasn’t leaning into the pitch or it was out over the plate or close thereto.
   10. sunday silence (again) Posted: August 15, 2022 at 09:05 PM (#6091799)
ya got your bookmark option. Click that.

that is great I didnt know that.
   11. cardsfanboy Posted: August 15, 2022 at 09:32 PM (#6091804)
Alcantara, 7 innings 4 hits today, 0 runs allowed.

Similar CFB ... and most of the ones I do have are misclicks. I wasn't sure if they could be removed but (hooray!) they can be.

Speaking of Alcantara, Another one I found, was the Alcantara trade

12. Ziggy: social distancing since 1980 Posted: August 15, 2022 at 09:52 PM (#6091810)
Vaughn Grissom just went first to third on a ground out to third base.

I think I've got a new favorite player.
   13. fran Posted: August 15, 2022 at 10:43 PM (#6091819)
Here come the White Sox? I guess we'll see.
Alcantara and Gallen.... But the Cardinals have found other great young pitchers.

14. The Duke Posted: August 15, 2022 at 10:43 PM (#6091820)
Bookmarked
   15. The Duke Posted: August 15, 2022 at 10:46 PM (#6091821)
I'd love to see them eliminate the HBP as a free base. I'd only allow a free base on a truly wild pitch. All this ticky-tack HBP via use of body armor offends me. Give the second base ump the call. I bet 95% of HBP are batter instigated (diving in, failing to get out of the way, batting stance on top of plate, etc )
   16. TVerik - Dr. Velocity Posted: August 16, 2022 at 06:34 AM (#6091838)
I suspect that this rule change would result in really high HBP rates, as it incentivizes pitchers to hit batters if they feel like it.
   17. SoSH U at work Posted: August 16, 2022 at 09:16 AM (#6091845)

Anthony Rizzo HBP square in the upper thigh, but umpire claims he made insufficient effort to avoid contact. Don’t think I, or perhaps anyone else, has seen that call where the batter wasn’t leaning into the pitch or it was out over the plate or close thereto.

I'm not sure how you can say with confidence he wasn't leaning into the pitch. It sure like he thrust his thigh out there a little, the way any good HBP master does (which Rizzo most certainly is).

I'd love to see them eliminate the HBP as a free base. I'd only allow a free base on a truly wild pitch. All this ticky-tack HBP via use of body armor offends me. Give the second base ump the call. I bet 95% of HBP are batter instigated (diving in, failing to get out of the way, batting stance on top of plate, etc )

This is ridiculous. Rather than remove the HBP, MLB ought to remove the requirement that batters make an effort to get out of the way. Pitchers shouldn't be throwing balls inside the batter's box, and when they do, it shouldn't be up to the batter to bail him out.
   18. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: August 16, 2022 at 09:29 AM (#6091846)
Pitchers shouldn't be throwing balls inside the batter's box, and when they do, it shouldn't be up to the batter to bail him out.

This is ridiculous. Intimidation is a huge part of all major league sports. The idea of neutering the pitcher is abhorrent. You want 20 run ballgames? Take away the fear in batters.
   19. SoSH U at work Posted: August 16, 2022 at 09:41 AM (#6091852)
This is ridiculous. Intimidation is a huge part of all major league sports. The idea of neutering the pitcher is abhorrent. You want 20 run ballgames? Take away the fear in batters.

Wow, this is dumb. Batters are intimidated by pitchers throwing inside because getting hit with pitches hurts, not because they currently have to, sometimes, give the appearance of trying to get ouf the way of inside pitches. That won't stop if you remove the "gotta get out of the way" requirement. Most players are still going to get out of the way (remember Papi), because they'd rather not get hit than get a free base. But if the pitcher wants to intimidate the batter, which he can still do, why the hell is it on the batter to bail him out?

Of course, I'd couple the above rule with the one that says a player who gets hit on a pitch outside the batter's box does not get his base (this should be doable with the robo umps). It's either a ball or strike, depending on the location.

20. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:36 AM (#6091859)
if the pitcher wants to intimidate the batter, which he can still do...

Not to the extent that you'd allow him to. An "effectively wild" pitcher keeps batters off balance, and keeping batters off balance is key to pitching success. I don't want to take that weapon away from pitchers.

I don't think the rationale for getting out of the way is always that "they don't want to get hit". I think the rationale for getting out of the way sometimes is"because I want to swing the bat".

I think Rizzo should have been awarded 1B. I think Rizzo had little chance to get out of the way of that one, and the rule was misapplied.
   21. SoSH U at work Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:50 AM (#6091863)
Not to the extent that you'd allow him to. An "effectively wild" pitcher keeps batters off balance, and keeping batters off balance is key to pitching success. I don't want to take that weapon away from pitchers.

None of this changes by making it a rule the batter doesn't have to get out of the way. It's very rarely called now as is (this call on Rizzo is very much the exception, and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason he wasn't awarded the base was because the umpire determined he thrust his leg out to get hit, rather than for failing to get out of the way), and this would merely codify they don't have to.

I don't think the rationale for getting out of the way is always that "they don't want to get hit". I think the rationale for getting out of the way sometimes is"because I want to swing the bat".

Fine. That doesn't change with this rule change.

I'm advocating somehting very simple. If you get hit with a pitch in the box, you take your base, regardless whether you made any effort to get out of the way. That should be the consequence on the pitcher for throwing the ball in the space that belongs to the batter. If he wants to endure the pain that comes from getting plunked for the free base, good for him.

Similarly, if a batter gets hit on a pitch outside the batter's box, where he doesn't belong, then he doesn't get first base. It's a strike/ball, depending on the pitch's location.

In both cases, the home plate ump won't have to determine whether that half-shoulder turn was an actual attempt to get out of the way* or merely a HBP collector's go-to move. He just has to worry with where the pitch is.

* In instances where it's possible the batter was trying to get hit, like possibly this one, umps would still be asked to judge that. I don't know how you could get around that.

22. ReggieThomasLives Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:52 AM (#6091864)
This is dumb. The batter is given a club, when HBP he should be allowed to use it mano e mano.
   23. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:33 AM (#6091874)

I'm advocating somehting very simple. If you get hit with a pitch in the box, you take your base, regardless whether you made any effort to get out of the way. That should be the consequence on the pitcher for throwing the ball in the space that belongs to the batter. If he wants to endure the pain that comes from getting plunked for the free base, good for him.

I now see that I inferred something that wasn't implied. I thought you were looking to punish pitchers for hitting batters. (I mean if a pitcher is intentionally headhunting, or is intentionally retaliating after warnings were given, fine, throw the pitcher out of the game, but for garden variety plunking...no.)

We're in agreement about the Rizzo incident. It was a bad call, or, a bad interpretation of the rule. The ump could have judged that Rizzo froze involuntarily. That happens, especially when you have .4 seconds to react. I think that most of the time it's in the best interest of the batter to get out of the way, and standing still isn't anything like "leaning in to intentionally get hit".
   24. The Duke Posted: August 16, 2022 at 07:09 PM (#6091932)
21. It's a fine idea but one that would almost always require replay to determine. We all watch a lot of games and it takes me a couple replays to to tell what happened on an HBP. You can't have a standard that Forces replay. Now with the new home plate system maybe that can be determined real time by the sensors.

I'm glad they called the play on Rizzo. He's been
The worst offender in MLB

Last year some ump went after Gallegos for sticky stuff out of the blue and then we had a new standard a couple weeks later. I wonder if this was a setup by the league for some change
   25. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 16, 2022 at 07:52 PM (#6091939)
And back to today's games.
Red Sox up 5-0 early against the Pirates. Tommy Pham continues to hit slightly better then JD Martinez whilst also fielding a position and getting paid a fraction of what JD is getting.
Sox will need every run though with Pivetta on the bump. He's either going 7 and giving up 6 hits and 1ER or he'll cr*p the bed and the Bucco's will drop a 5 spot on him in the 3rd. With Nick it's always a mystery.
   26. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 08:13 PM (#6091943)
Gold glover to gold glover, fantastic play by both corner infielders of the Cardinals.
   27. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 16, 2022 at 09:11 PM (#6091945)
So good Pivetta(helped by bad Pirates) was on the bump today. Went the 7IP I suggested and only gave up 1 hit, 3BB and 6Ks, so pretty good. Sox still up 5-0.
   28. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:03 PM (#6091949)
Yadier is now one hit away from tying Yogi Berra for his career. (Average isn't that huge of a difference .285 vs .278 for their careers)
   29. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:10 PM (#6091950)
Average isn't that huge of a difference .285 vs .278 for their careers

Yadi-96 OPS+, 16 WAA, 42 WAR
Yogi-125 OPS+, 34 WAA!, 59.4 WAR

One is a clear HOFer, the other will be elected and it can be argued either way whether he belongs or not.
   30. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:20 PM (#6091952)

Yadi-96 OPS+, 16 WAA, 42 WAR
Yogi-125 OPS+, 34 WAA!, 59.4 WAR

One is a clear HOFer, the other will be elected and it can be argued either way whether he belongs or not.

You do realize that the point of my comment wasn't about hof, but about the fact that Yadier has caught Berra in hits and it's not entirely a factor of plate appearances. (of course you could have listed fWar (55.7 vs 63.7))
   31. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:25 PM (#6091953)
So ... in the not so smart but maybe not TOOTBLAN category ... Cubs with runners on 1st and 3rd, nobody out in the 10th, 4-4. Weak grounder to 2B. Cub runner at 1st, McKinstry, wipes out the 2B -- not for any particularly good reason but also just heading straight from 1st to 2nd as quickly as he can. Ump calls interference.

Now #1 priority there is making sure the run scores. I mean even if it turns into a DP, get the lead runner across. Just hold up. But anyway, interference which puts the runner back on 3rd but umps call just one out. So first and third one out. Walk, sac fly and Ortega decides "what the heck, let's get caught in a needless rundown between 2nd and 3rd" ... but at least after the run scored.

Are the umps allowed to call interference and a DP there? Or is it always just a single out?
   32. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:26 PM (#6091954)
I don't know what the original crowd size was but plenty of good seats currently available at Nats stadium.
   33. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:30 PM (#6091955)
Are the umps allowed to call interference and a DP there? Or is it always just a single out?

I think so...

(6) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner (see Rule 6.01(j));

(7) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a batter-runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball, with the obvious intent

to break up a double play, the ball is dead; the umpire shall call the batter-runner out for interference and shall call out the runner who had advanced closest to the home plate regardless where the double play might have been possible. In no event shall bases be run because of such interference (see Rule 6.01(j));
   34. The Duke Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:31 PM (#6091956)
Verlander - cease. Two starting pitchers with sub 2 ERA with at least 20 starts

According to STL broadcast only two such starting pairings in the last 40 years.

One pair in 2018 and one pair in 1985

Who are the four pitchers
   35. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:33 PM (#6091957)
Ooh, the always exciting potentially walk-off replay review. (Clearly safe, so 5-5 Cubs-Nats.)

Hmmm ... is it a walk-off replay review if the home team loses on the call?
   36. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:33 PM (#6091958)

(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts

If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01. A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:

(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

A runner who engages in a “bona fide slide” shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner’s contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner’s legal pathway to the base. Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a “bona fide slide” if a runner engages in a “roll block,” or intentionally initiates (or attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder’s knee or throwing his arm or his upper body.

If the umpire determines that the runner violated this Rule 6.01(j), the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter-runner out. Note, however, that if the runner has already been put out then the runner on whom the defense was attempting to make a play shall be declared out.
   37. fran Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:35 PM (#6091959)
But, could they have called the double play and also brought Happ back to 3rd? The Cubs sure didn't look good!
   38. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:36 PM (#6091960)
But, could they have called the double play and also brought Happ back to 3rd?

According to everything I read, if interference is called, the runner is not allowed to score regardless of whether they would have without the interference.

edit: oops, not exactly true.

But under penalties for interference it does state

The runner is out and the ball is dead. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules.
   39. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:36 PM (#6091961)
2018 ... I'll guess deGrom and Scherzer ... or maybe Kershaw as one of them

1985 ... Gooden and ... Mike Scott?
   40. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:38 PM (#6091962)
Oops.
   41. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:41 PM (#6091963)
OK, certainly not Mike Scott although they did face off in Gooden's start #22 and he also made his only relief appearance of the year in Gooden's #20 (1-0 over Bob Knepper).
   42. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:42 PM (#6091964)
OK, certainly not Mike Scott although they did face off in Gooden's start #22 and he also made his only relief appearance of the year in Gooden's #20 (1-0 over Bob Knepper).

Gooden is correct, the other thing to remember that Duke mentioned it was a Cardinal broadcast, so that might be a hint.
   43. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:43 PM (#6091966)
(I didn't hear the names of the first pair, so no clue who the 2018 pair was) I assume it was DeGrom and somebody else.
   44. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:46 PM (#6091967)
Annoyingly, the 2nd guy in 1985 is the guy I was trying to think of when I came up with the name John Smiley. (That's a hint I suppose not that the two guys are particularly similar.)
   45. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:47 PM (#6091968)
So in far less important news than obscure trivia, Cubs lead 7-5 heading to b11.
   46. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:48 PM (#6091969)
You do realize that the point of my comment wasn't about hof, but about the fact that Yadier has caught Berra in hits and it's not entirely a factor of plate appearances. (of course you could have listed fWar (55.7 vs 63.7))

Yep, I realise that. Didn't look at FG, only went to Bref.

I'd be curious if you think Yadi is a HOFer? I think he'll be elected, but I'd curious if you think he'll be worthy?
   47. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:51 PM (#6091970)
I'd be curious if you think Yadi is a HOFer? I think he'll be elected, but I'd curious if you think he'll be worthy?

I think he's borderline and that there is a ton of crap he does that isn't recorded by the numbers, including handling of pitchers (not talking about framing, just listening to Montgomery who has stated that Yadier has convinced him to go back to throwing his fastball in on right handers, something that he lost faith in over the past year or two) I don't think he's elite, and I also think there are about 3 or 4 other catchers deserving who aren't in (and no Jim Sundberg is not one of them)

I also think he's going to go in with no issues, and only the blind stat guys are going to complain.
   48. The Duke Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:52 PM (#6091971)
Degrom in 2018 is one
Gooden in 1985 is one

49. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:53 PM (#6091972)
Bases loaded no outs bottom of the ninth. The Rockies pull their centerfielder and replace him with an infielder and have six men on the infield.
   50. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:55 PM (#6091973)
O'Neil with a walk off hbp. Not sure if he Rizzo'd it or not. Definitely did not try to get out of the way.
   51. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 10:59 PM (#6091974)
I've got the 2016 one which is a bit sneaky. Remember the 20th+ start criterion.

1985 Gooden vs ??? (the other guy won)

2016 DeGrom vs ??? (neither involved in the decision)

I wouldn't be surprised if the other guy in 1985 is the greatest non-CYA season ever but I don't know.

Anyway, Cubs hang on 7-5. Fergie is everywhere now. Any other team got a studio analyst pushing 80?
   52. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:05 PM (#6091975)
I wouldn't be surprised if the other guy in 1985 is the greatest non-CYA season ever but I don't know.

It wouldn't surprise me, and the funny part about that is he had a horrible start to the season, I think he started the season 1-7.
   53. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:12 PM (#6091976)
I don’t even know the question, but that’s gotta be John Tudor.
   54. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:12 PM (#6091977)
Angels up 3-0 on the Mariners. Ohtani 2 for 3 with a triple. No Mariner has reached base so far this game.
   55. cardsfanboy Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:14 PM (#6091978)
welp. I jinxed that.
   56. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:19 PM (#6091979)
Yes, Tudor is the other pitcher in 1985.
   57. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:21 PM (#6091980)
Probably the fault of some nerd somewhere but Joey Gallo starring as the Manfred Man easily thrown out at 3B trying to advance on an easy GB to straight-ahead SS. Naturally, the next batter singles so it's 1st and 2nd one out instead of 4-3 Dodgers with a man on first (assuming no butterfly wings, etc).

EDIT: Oops, I missed an out in there somewhere ... which might have made it worse.
   58. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:23 PM (#6091981)
In sorta reverse of the Legend of John Henry, it's Freddie Freeman vs the human umpire.

EDIT: OK, we can call it even now.
   59. The Duke Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:24 PM (#6091982)
John Tudor is correct.

One to go
   60. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:25 PM (#6091983)
I don’t think it’s anywhere close. He had 8.1 WAR in ‘85. Just from looking for a couple minutes, Clemens had 10.4 WAR in 1990, and finished second to Bob Welch and his, wait for it, 2.9 WAR.
   61. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:30 PM (#6091985)
Wilbur Wood had 11.8 WAR in 1971 and finished third.
   62. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:40 PM (#6091986)
WAR Schmwar. Wilbur Wood was a girly man who couldn't even throw a real pitch and only once made it over 375 innings.

Clemens has a case for sure. It's doubly entertaining because Clemens finished 3rd in MVP voting while Welch finished 9th, 1 spot behind teammate pitcher Dave Stewart. Thigpen, 4th in CYA, finished 5th in MVP.

Police believe the BBWAA was involved.
   63. Walt Davis Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:54 PM (#6091987)
Dodgers ahead 4-3, Kimbrel on to give up the unearned run. Off to a good start with a bunt single/intended sac.
   64. The Duke Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:55 PM (#6091988)
Brewers have used almost all their pitchers - tough game to lose if they do
   65. Mike A Posted: August 16, 2022 at 11:59 PM (#6091989)
Nice win for the Braves, ensures the series split.

And the Braves, determined to keep the band together, have signed Michael Harris II to a 8 year/72 million dollar contract (with club options for a 9th/10th year that would push it to 10yrs/102m).

Can't complain.
   66. Walt Davis Posted: August 17, 2022 at 12:05 AM (#6091990)
And Brewers win.

Although it's not as many as I thought, as near as I can tell, Kimbrel has entered with the Manfred Man on 4 times in his career and he's scored all 4 times.
   67. The Duke Posted: August 17, 2022 at 12:05 AM (#6091991)
Brewers win. Gritty win
   68. Walt Davis Posted: August 17, 2022 at 12:27 AM (#6091992)
#65: Interesting. I'm not sure how the stoppage affects service time this year but it looks to me like the Braves called him up early enough that he would have been super 2 so, assuming 8 years starts next year, would buy out 2 pre-arb, 4 arb and 2 FA years. He'd potentially turn FA entering age 30 but presumably not until 32 with the options (or we won't care because he won't be good enough to exercise the options). The options sound a bit underpriced but otherwise probably a good deal for him and the team.

A kinda obvious comp would be Luis Robert of the White Sox. Robert signed his 6/$50 deal before he even debuted at 22 in 2020. A bit "disappointing" in 2020, excellent but hurt in 2021, very good but hurt in 2022. Still he's produced at a 6-WAR level when healthy. His deal is nicely front-loaded with $11 M in his first 3 seasons, a very solid $37 M for his 3 arb years, 2/$40 in options. Note, coming out of Cuba, he had already received a $26 M signing bonus. So somewhere between 6/$50 and 8/$90, front-loaded.

I always said that Robert contract was expensive. For comparison, Judge will only make about $37 M for his arb years and the Sox guaranteed Robert that much 3 years ahead of time and added the $11 M before that. They paid full price and likely a good bit more for his first 6 years (over and above the $26 M). Obviously if he can get healthy, they earn all of that (and maybe more) back in the two option years.
   69. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 17, 2022 at 12:51 AM (#6091993)
I don't know what the original crowd size was but plenty of good seats currently available at Nats stadium.
26,362 paid - pretty good for a midweek game, especially given the Nationals current circumstances.
   70. cardsfanboy Posted: August 17, 2022 at 10:31 AM (#6092016)
Mlb updated it's top 100 prospect list, Dodgers have 7, Orioles, Rangers, Cardinals have 6, Reds, Guardians, Pirates have 5... did any other team even make the list? :) (I know that is only 40)
   71. The Duke Posted: August 17, 2022 at 04:12 PM (#6092049)
Joey Votto's career ended today at the senseless age of 38
   72. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: August 17, 2022 at 04:18 PM (#6092052)
Baty is in this evening's lineup and hitting eighth.
   73. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: August 17, 2022 at 04:20 PM (#6092053)
Joey Votto's career ended today at the senseless age of 38
I'll take that bet.
   74. ReggieThomasLives Posted: August 17, 2022 at 04:53 PM (#6092057)
Probably the fault of some nerd somewhere but Joey Gallo starring as the Manfred Man easily thrown out at 3B trying to advance on an easy GB to straight-ahead SS. Naturally, the next batter singles so it's 1st and 2nd one out instead of 4-3 Dodgers with a man on first (assuming no butterfly wings, etc).

That crazy new rule, I couldn't figure out how Gallo was on base given he had zero walks and only a single home run for a hit.

He's now hitting .261/.346/.696/1.042 for a 178 OPS+ with the Dodgers with three home runs.

Nice sell low trade Yanks.
   75. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 17, 2022 at 04:57 PM (#6092059)
Joey Votto's career ended today at the senseless age of 38.
He’s under contract next year for $25M, with a 2024 $20M team option that has a $7M buyout. Rotator cuff surgery for a position player is said to be 6 months, so I doubt we’ve seen the last of Votto.
   76. The Duke Posted: August 17, 2022 at 05:16 PM (#6092066)
Joey Votto's career ended today when he was eaten by wolves
   77. cHiEf iMpaCt oFfiCEr JE Posted: August 17, 2022 at 07:52 PM (#6092082)
Baty is in this evening's lineup and hitting eighth.
Baty on board!
   78. cardsfanboy Posted: August 17, 2022 at 08:02 PM (#6092084)
First inning run as Arenado hits an automatic double to drive in Nootbar who walked and was on third.
   79. cardsfanboy Posted: August 17, 2022 at 08:05 PM (#6092085)
Back to back automatic doubles (Arenado/Gorman) give the Cardinals a 2-0 lead.
   80. Howie Menckel Posted: August 17, 2022 at 08:52 PM (#6092089)
modest rain delay in ATL, and Mad Max is stalking the groundskeepers on his turf - -or as the Mets booth put it, "GET OFF MY MOUND!"

he started warming up before they even finished their 'cleanup.' Mets booth adds that Max was in his windup before his first warmup toss before C McCann even had time to get into his crouch. lol.

don't ever change, Max, don't ever change....
   81. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 17, 2022 at 09:44 PM (#6092095)
Red Sox putting the hurt on the Pirates, now up 8-3. Go Boston, way to pick on the little guy!

checks schedule for upcoming games against actual good teams...Orioles, Jays and Rays next up.
Time for the Red Sox to find out if they can actually end up over .500.
I'm not overly confident.
   82. Howie Menckel Posted: August 17, 2022 at 09:44 PM (#6092096)
silly "exit velo" stat (aren't they all?), but still:

Mets rookies to have reached 113 on velo in recent years:
Baty - 1, tonight
Conforto - 1
Alonso - 14 times

#dontpokethebear
   83. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 17, 2022 at 10:34 PM (#6092100)
don't ever change, Max, don't ever change....
If he weren’t such a great pitcher, he’d just be your garden variety sociopath.
   84. Howie Menckel Posted: August 17, 2022 at 10:38 PM (#6092101)
Buck goes with Trumpeter Diaz in the 8th vs the meat of the ATL order.

slider
slider
slider
slider
slider
slider
slider
slider
slider

K, fly out, K and at 9 pitches maybe he get the 9th as well
   85. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 18, 2022 at 12:03 AM (#6092109)
Yankees pull victory from the jaws of defeat in 10th, with a Josh Donaldson Grand Slam after they gave up 3 runs in the top of the inning. Surely, that’s all they’ll need to right the ship.

Lead in the division is back to 10 games.
   86. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: August 18, 2022 at 01:08 AM (#6092112)
Kimbrel converted his first 1-run save of the season. Before tonight he was 0/4 in save opportunities entering with a 1 run lead. It’s also just the third time this season any Dodger pitcher has protected a one run lead in the final inning. Dan Hudson and Evan Phillips did so once each.
   87. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: August 18, 2022 at 12:26 PM (#6092153)

K, fly out, K and at 9 pitches maybe he get the 9th as well

The Mets scored 3 in the top of the 9th to extend their lead to 4 runs, so Buck went with May in the 9th inning instead of Diaz. May, of course, made it interesting, allowing a 2-run homer and facing Acuna as the tying run. But Acuna flied out to end the game. One of the more exciting games I've watched this season.
   88. Howie Menckel Posted: August 18, 2022 at 01:10 PM (#6092156)
TOO exciting, for my tastes

:)
   89. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 02:58 PM (#6092171)
Cardinals are having an offensive performance today, 12-0 bottom of the fifth, Albert with a pinch hit grand slam in the third inning.
   90. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 03:00 PM (#6092172)
Albert with 690 career homeruns, 6 more does still seem like a stretch, but not out of the realm of impossibility, same with 10 more.
   91. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 03:31 PM (#6092175)
I didn't realize how much Goldy is actually dominating offensively this season, I figured he was a bit ahead of the pack, but his ops (coming into today's game) is 1.035 and Riley is second in the NL at .920 (as of his performance today it's now 1.045) He's leading in average .335, 2nd is Freeman .319, second in obp (.416 for Soto .415 for Goldy--Goldy is 3 for 4 today so maybe first today after Soto plays), first in slg% .620 Riley 2nd .566, runs scored second behind Betts 86, 81(82 today), Total bases 255 (260 with his five today), second behind Alonso with 260, Rbi second with 92 (Alonso 99); Hr 3rd 29 (Schwarber 34, Riley 30), Doubles 4th with 32 (39 by Freeman).

Basically Goldy is having a real good offensive year, defensively baseball reference has him as average which doesn't match the eye test in the slightest, but fangraphs agrees so I guess it has to be accurate.
   92. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:20 PM (#6092176)
13-0 Final for the Cardinals, the Cardinals 12th team shutout. The Mets have the most with 16, Yankees with 14, Dodgers, White Sox and Astros with 12.

Albert with his 16th career Grandslam, ties for 10th all time. Of the 13 names on the list, most are predictable and obvious, I think 2.5 are less obvious.

Most career Grandslams.

1. (25)
2. (23)
3. (21)
4. (19)
5a.(18)
5b.(18)*
7a.(17)
7b.(17)
7c.(17)@
10a.(16)
10b.(16)
10c.(16)
10d.(16) Albert Pujols

*most unlikely name on the list, but I kinda remember him being on this list.
@ second most unlikely name on this list, never would have remembered him.

(who has the most among active players behind Pujols)

29. (12)
65. (10) (more or less his career is over)
88. (9)
29 and 88 are young enough to more than likely move up the leaderboard. (and hint none of these names is Miguel Cabrera who has 6 career grandslams)
   93. salvomania Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:21 PM (#6092177)
Gehrig
Foxx
McCovey
Thome
Pat Tabler
   94. salvomania Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:26 PM (#6092178)
Pat Tabler

This was tongue in cheek, as I remembered Tabler having great bases-loaded numbers, but obviously with under 100 career homers he wouldn't be on the list.

For the record, he hit .489/.505/.693 (with 2 of his career 47 homers) in 109 career PA with the bases loaded.
   95. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:29 PM (#6092179)
2. (23) Gehrig
5a.(18) McCovey
7a.(17) Foxx

(Thome has 9)
   96. NaOH Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:40 PM (#6092180)
Should be A-Rod at #1 if memory serves me.
   97. the Hugh Jorgan returns Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:41 PM (#6092181)
A-rod and Manny are #1 and #3. Agree with NaOH, A-rod is 1, Manny is 3.
   98. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 04:43 PM (#6092182)
1. (25) Arod
3. (21) Manny

Most of the names are as obvious as possible.
   99. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 18, 2022 at 05:01 PM (#6092184)
Murray & Palmeiro are up there, as is Robin Ventura, who some might consider unlikely to be in such company.
   100. cardsfanboy Posted: August 18, 2022 at 05:04 PM (#6092185)
4. (19) Murray
5b.(18)* Ventura

Palmiero has 12.
Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of September 19-26, 2022
(200 - 1:40am, Sep 25)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogHow the Guardians turned the AL Central race into a one-team sprint
(7 - 12:11am, Sep 25)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogRangers’ quest for pitching could lead them to Jacob deGrom
(8 - 11:21pm, Sep 24)
Last: You can keep your massive haul

NewsblogOT - August/September 2022 College Football thread
(394 - 11:15pm, Sep 24)
Last: Lance Reddick! Lance him!

Newsblog2022-23 Preseason NBA thread
(271 - 11:06pm, Sep 24)
Last: Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean

NewsblogMLB home run record: 15 current sluggers who could be next to make push for a 60-homer season
(38 - 8:40pm, Sep 24)
Last: Ron J

NewsblogCanada reportedly set to lift vaccine requirements for people entering country, a move that would impact unvaccinated professional athletes
(62 - 6:32pm, Sep 24)
Last: Hombre Brotani

NewsblogThe 2022 Regular Season Has Lacked Intensity
(19 - 4:48pm, Sep 24)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogOrioles hired Goldman to assess sale, source says, but litigation likely to keep team with Angelos for now [$]
(5 - 3:47pm, Sep 24)
Last: John Northey

NewsblogGreat Britain qualifies for first World Baseball Classic
(15 - 3:17pm, Sep 24)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogRoyals fire Dayton Moore as president of baseball operations
(49 - 3:15pm, Sep 24)
Last: donlock

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(133 - 11:10am, Sep 24)
Last: Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer

Newsblog'Electric' Strider breaks Big Unit's strikeout record