Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 01, 2022

OMNICHATTER for the week of August 1-7, 2022

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Hombre Brotani Posted: August 01, 2022 at 04:38 AM | 394 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   201. cardsfanboy Posted: August 05, 2022 at 11:34 PM (#6090250)
Did you mean to post #195 here, Walt?

Duke started a Hosmer conversation on this thread.
   202. cardsfanboy Posted: August 05, 2022 at 11:34 PM (#6090251)
It's up to Carpenter, could be a great story for the former Cardinal.
   203. cardsfanboy Posted: August 05, 2022 at 11:36 PM (#6090252)
Surprisingly the Cardinals get a win against a +.500 team.

Edit: or maybe not. Second game this week that has a challenge on last play of the game.
   204. The Duke Posted: August 05, 2022 at 11:57 PM (#6090256)
Cardinals biggest win of the year and our manager craps on our starting pitcher in post-game because of his pace of play. What an idiot
   205. The Duke Posted: August 05, 2022 at 11:57 PM (#6090258)
Dodgers showing the Padres how far they have to go yet
   206. Walt Davis Posted: August 06, 2022 at 12:39 AM (#6090260)
The Dodgers are about to go 13-3 since the AS break. That includes 8-0 against the Giants and trashing the Padres in game 1. Toss in 3-1 against the Rox ... and naturally 1-2 against the Nats. Of course that's not much better than what they have been doing all season. Jesus, they are 37-18 on the road -- is that even legal? They are a combined 23-2 against the DBacks, Cubs and Reds with a +99 run differential. They are "just" 16-11 against potential NL playoff teams.

Do mediocre teams even exist anymore? For the rest of the season the Dodgers have it tough -- 11 more against the Padres, 2 Twins, 7 Milw and 3 StL -- and incredibly easy -- 7 Mia, 3 Royals, 8 Ari and the traditional 6-game series against the Rox to close things out. Toss in 6 against the Giants.
   207. The Duke Posted: August 06, 2022 at 11:35 AM (#6090284)
Question. Does anyone track the amount of value traded into and out of divisions (offseason and deadline )? Of course defining value (todays, future, past ) may create diff numbers.

My hypothesis is that a ton of value has left the Two Central divisions since the pandemic. Furthur it seems the free agent deals are either really short or really cheap long term deals.

Just look at this last deadline - almost no Centeal teams absorbed any salary/value and most teams either stood Pat or were sellers. The twins were buyers but they bought cheap value and paid a ton of prospect value for it. The cardinals picked up a guy on an expiring $2 million contract and swapped two players earning $5 per year.

The white Sox inexplicably did nothing.

And I think this trend has been going on for two years very consistently
   208. The Duke Posted: August 06, 2022 at 11:47 AM (#6090285)
Going back to Hosmer is he Top 10 fastest HS player to MLB since David Clyde?

On the cardinals: Gorman, Simmons.

Soto, acuna, Franco,

Can't think of many more
   209. The Duke Posted: August 06, 2022 at 12:06 PM (#6090287)
Kaline,killebrew, Osteen, Hodges and Feller all made the jump from HS to MLB
   210. The Duke Posted: August 06, 2022 at 02:40 PM (#6090298)
What do Yanks fans make of rumor that Narlins backed out of agreed Lopez deal at 5:59 on deadline day? Overactive NY media, attempt to gut Ngs reputation, truth?
   211. yo la tengo (the poor man's Ron Darling) Posted: August 06, 2022 at 03:24 PM (#6090307)
Hoping someone can explain a scoring decision in last night's Mets-Braves game. Top of the 2nd and Trevor Williams relieves Tijuan Walker who leaves with no outs and two on and down 6 - 0 already. Williams gets a ground ball to SS who tries to turn a double play but Austin Riley beats the throw to first. Seems to me that Walker's book should be closed now, one of his runners scored and the other is out at second. However, Riley ends up scoring on a double and Walker gets charged with 8 runs, not 7. I am obviously wrong in thinking that the 8th run is Williams' responsibility since Riley, the man who scored the 8th run, was a batter that Williams faced. Would love to read an explanation of why that run is charged to Walker.
   212. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 03:47 PM (#6090310)
Going back to Hosmer is he Top 10 fastest HS player to MLB since David Clyde?

On the cardinals: Gorman, Simmons.

Soto, acuna, Franco,

Can't think of many more

Griffey Jr came up pretty fast. Same with Arod. And I think Pujols only played one year of community college.
   213. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 03:52 PM (#6090311)
Hoping someone can explain a scoring decision in last night's Mets-Braves game. Top of the 2nd and Trevor Williams relieves Tijuan Walker who leaves with no outs and two on and down 6 - 0 already. Williams gets a ground ball to SS who tries to turn a double play but Austin Riley beats the throw to first. Seems to me that Walker's book should be closed now, one of his runners scored and the other is out at second. However, Riley ends up scoring on a double and Walker gets charged with 8 runs, not 7. I am obviously wrong in thinking that the 8th run is Williams' responsibility since Riley, the man who scored the 8th run, was a batter that Williams faced. Would love to read an explanation of why that run is charged to Walker.

Good luck with that one, I agree with you. I guess the argument could be that the other pitcher did record an out, so he should not be on the hook for a man reaching base, but that seems like too much of a what if type of thing.
   214. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 03:56 PM (#6090312)
Oops... nevermind, found it.
   215. yo la tengo (the poor man's Ron Darling) Posted: August 06, 2022 at 03:56 PM (#6090313)
Curious about today’s doubleheader at CitiField. Wondering if there is a temptation/advantage in moving one of the Max’s so that they don’t face off against each other. I think if I am Snitker I am tempted to pitch Fried against Peterson to carry momentum from last night’s Braves win. If I am Showalter I might want Scherzer agains Odorizzi to try and seize back some momentum after last night. Not sure either manager is right or wrong in setting up a Max v Max nightcap
   216. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 04:00 PM (#6090314)
9.16 G
(g) When pitchers are changed during an inning, the Official Scorer shall not charge the relief pitcher with any run (earned or unearned) scored by a runner who was on base at the time such relief pitcher entered the game, nor for runs scored by any runner who reaches base on a fielder’s choice that puts out a runner left on base by any preceding pitcher.

From this page Baseball academy

Rule 9.16(g) Comment:

It is the intent of Rule 9.16 (g) to charge each pitcher with the number of runners he put on base, rather than with the individual runners. When a pitcher puts runners on base and is relieved, such pitcher shall be charged with all runs subsequently scored up to and including the number of runners such pitcher left on base when such pitcher left the game, unless such runners are put out without action by the batter (i.e., caught stealing, picked off base or called out for interference when a batter-runner does not reach first base on the play). For example:

And here is the example that they use

2) Peter is pitching. Abel reaches first base on a base on balls. Roger relieves Peter. Baker forces Abel at second bases. Charlie grounds out, advancing Baker to second base. Daniel singles, scoring Baker. Baker’s run is charged to Peter.

217. yo la tengo (the poor man's Ron Darling) Posted: August 06, 2022 at 04:07 PM (#6090315)
CFB - thanks for the research there! The second piece, the comment, hits the spot in terms of explaining the intent of how the rule in interpreted. I guess I was oversimplifying it by thinking that Riley was ‘Williams’ guy’ so I thought his run would be attributed to Williams. I appreciate the help in clarifying that
   218. Tom Goes to the Ballpark Posted: August 06, 2022 at 04:18 PM (#6090318)
Do mediocre teams even exist anymore? For the rest of the season the Dodgers have it tough -- 11 more against the Padres, 2 Twins, 7 Milw and 3 StL -- and incredibly easy -- 7 Mia, 3 Royals, 8 Ari and the traditional 6-game series against the Rox to close things out. Toss in 6 against the Giants.
Mediocre teams do still exist, but, with the ever expanding playoffs, there is a temptation to pretend that 85-88 win teams are good.
   219. Walt Davis Posted: August 06, 2022 at 04:55 PM (#6090324)
But not in the NL really. There are 7 teams over 500 but all of them are at least 10 games over. There are 7 teams at least 10 games under 500. The only team in the middle are the Giants at 51-55. The AL has teams at +8, 4, 0, 6, 2, 2, and 7. (All of the sub-500 teams are well sub-500.) Or if you prefer, the AL has 7 teams with between 54 and 57 wins; the NL has one team between 49 and 57. And it' not interleague play, the AL has just a 6-win edge.

Duke, on the NL Central losing talent ... certainly folks have tracked talent flow (at least next season expected production) from one league to the other in trying to explain league differences. Obviously you could do the same at the divisional level. I do recall coming up on 2021 that the Central teams were quite active in non-tendering (Schwarber, Rosario, etc.) and I recall somebody writing an article on the Central teams supposedly feeling a bigger pinch from the lockdown. But then this year the Twins rocked up with money for Correa and last year the Cards took on Arenado and a couple of years ago the Brewers gave Yelich a big extension.

And I'm not sure about the deadline activity claim. The White Sox may not have done much this time but last year they addressed 2B (Cesar Hernandez) and the bullpen (Kimbrel, Tepera). This year the Twins were quite active.

The Centrals are obviously full of small and/or declining markets. If you were starting from scratch, I'm not sure you'd even put teams in Det, Cle, KC, Cincy, Pitt or both of Milw/CWS and even StL would look questionable if they didn't have a long history of beating those odds. If the Cubs weren't historically inept and cheap, they should dominate the NLC as regularly as the Dodgers do the NLW (with the Cards being the Giants).
   220. Tom Goes to the Ballpark Posted: August 06, 2022 at 06:28 PM (#6090328)
But not in the NL really. There are 7 teams over 500 but all of them are at least 10 games over. There are 7 teams at least 10 games under 500. The only team in the middle are the Giants at 51-55. The AL has teams at +8, 4, 0, 6, 2, 2, and 7. (All of the sub-500 teams are well sub-500.) Or if you prefer, the AL has 7 teams with between 54 and 57 wins; the NL has one team between 49 and 57. And it' not interleague play, the AL has just a 6-win edge
You’re moving the goalposts here. You started at “do mediocre teams exist” and now you’re conceding half the AL as mediocre teams.

I do think your NL point is interesting. Even though they are exactly 10 games over .500, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Philly all look pretty mediocre to me. One of the central teams will probably win 90+ games, but a piece of that is the horrid division.

Some of the difference is likely due to the NL having more high quality teams. In the AL no one is really good other than the Yankees and Astros. In the NL, the Dodgers, Mets, Braves, and Padres (Padres barely qualify, but if we give them credit for Soto, Bell, and Tatis they make more sense) are ~10 wins better than the AL top four. Those wins likely come at the expense of the mediocre teams.
   221. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 07:13 PM (#6090330)
I do think your NL point is interesting. Even though they are exactly 10 games over .500, Milwaukee, St. Louis, and Philly all look pretty mediocre to me. One of the central teams will probably win 90+ games, but a piece of that is the horrid division.

I will disagree about the Cardinals to be honest, especially after the trade deadline. There is a reason that even with inconsistent starting pitching they are 6th in baseball in run differential. Focusing on their record and not what the team actually does seems to underrate how good of a team they are. Yes it's helped by playing a weaker division of course. (though just to point out, the Reds have played the fewest games within the division by a good margin(37 for the Reds, 44 Cardinals, 46 Cubs, 50 Pirates, 51 Brewers)
   222. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 07:43 PM (#6090333)
Arenado with an 10 pitch at bat to drive in Goldy who doubled, with a single.
   223. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 06, 2022 at 07:52 PM (#6090334)
Update on the weird Phils leaders:

Catcher and Released player leads in 3B
   224. Howie Menckel Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:20 PM (#6090335)
so the stars all aligned earlier tonight.

The richest race in North American harness racing, the Hambletonian, took place at the Meadowlands Racetrack not quite 2 hours ago.

any BBTFer - but especially any HOM voter - could have noticed that there was a horse in the race named Cool Papa Bell.

so not only a HOMer, but one known for his legendary speed - and this is a horse race after all.

I'm an original HOMer voter dating back to real-time 2003, and I was at that track and I bet the race.

and CPB was quite the longshot at 52-1 - bet $2, won $106. take CPB and the second-favorite, since the favorite was worse than even-money, and your $2 exacta bet (or $4 exacta box) returns a cool $640.40 (yowza).

and.... I did not bet Cool Papa Bell. hadn't noticed his name, and I knew that a filly was going for a third win in the last 5 years in this historic race - and that the second- and third-betting favorites both were fillies. so I tried for that "Ladies Night" $10 exacta box.

CBP found an extra gear in the homestretch to take down both the favorite and the second favorite, as my horses placed second and fourth in the 10-horse field.

I chose poorly.
   225. Walt Davis Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:24 PM (#6090336)
"Do mediocre teams even exist anymore" is a bit of hyperbole and a comment on the Dodgers remaining schedule, not so much an empirical claim of historical levels of team inequality. We might be seeing that in the NL.

And of course nobody cares about the AL, just a podunk johnny come lately league that had to cook up the DH to remain relevant. I'm surprised they never went for the 2-point HR.

We can perfectly sensibly define "good" "mediocre" and "bad" in baseball such that in most seasons we might see 3 good teams, 9 mediocre teams and 3 bad teams in a league. Even at this point, a team that's 10 games over 500 (say 58-48) is only on pace for 88.5 wins. By the binomial distribution, the 95% interval for 162 coin flips is +/-13 wins. Start thinking like that and you start to think that baseball outcomes are pretty much random and we shouldn't be wasting our time and money on it so it's probably better to pretend that an 88-win team is "good" or we'll all end up watching e-sports or something.
   226. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:26 PM (#6090337)
Uggh, very close but was a risky go anyway. Gorman on first base, two outs, Goldy hits a gapper and perfect defense from the Yankees to get the ball to the plate got called an out, the replay is close, I honestly think that a replay wouldn't have been conclusive enough to overturn an out or a safe call.
   227. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:30 PM (#6090338)
Arenado with a routine play to get Donaldson.
   228. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:33 PM (#6090340)
After that play, I had to look to see what Arenado's rField is for this season.... +15, second best on the Cardinals behind Edman's +18.
   229. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:46 PM (#6090342)
Neither pitcher is going to go too deep this game, both over 70 pitches after 4 innings.
   230. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 08:49 PM (#6090343)
If anyone is watching gameday and wondering about injury delay before the start of the fifth inning for the Cards/Yankees. The trainer is checking on Montgomery, apparently they are worried about heat issues affecting him. It's a sauna on the field of Busch right now.
   231. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 06, 2022 at 09:00 PM (#6090345)
The richest race in North American harness racing, the Hambletonian, took place at the Meadowlands Racetrack not quite 2 hours ago.

any BBTFer - but especially any HOM voter - could have noticed that there was a horse in the race named Cool Papa Bell.

Love it!
   232. Snowboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 09:08 PM (#6090346)
and.... I did not bet Cool Papa Bell.

Be a lot cooler if you did.
[/McConaughey]
   233. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 09:33 PM (#6090350)
I swear, when this announcer calls a catch, it sounds like he says "daddy puts it away"... when he is actually saying "and he puts it away."
   234. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 09:41 PM (#6090351)
This announcer agrees with Walt, saying the National league is very top heavy.(He doesn't name them, but he said four, so I'm assuming he's going with Dodgers, Braves, Mets and probably Padres)
   235. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:00 PM (#6090352)
Pretty good game if you are a fan of low scoring, good defense with tense at bats.
   236. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:09 PM (#6090354)
Top of the ninth, 1-0 game, Yankees have Judge, Donaldson, Torres coming up with Carpenter after that. As I said this has been a game with a lot of tense at bats, and you couldn't ask for more as a fan.
   237. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:20 PM (#6090355)
Man judge had at least three potentially heart-attack-triggering swings in that at-bat.
   238. cardsfanboy Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:23 PM (#6090356)
That's a winner. 1-0 Cardinals, now just need the Reds to keep their lead.
   239. Howie Menckel Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:32 PM (#6090357)
I believe the most recent results for the Yankees, since June 30, against teams with a winning record when they played them are:

STL L
STL L
SEA L
SEA L
SEA W
NYM L
NYM L
HOU L
HOU L
HOU L

it's possible that other opponents were a hair above that mark when they played NYY - but even if so, those teams are not as good as these are.
   240. Sleepy was just “inspecting the bunker”, y’all Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:38 PM (#6090358)
My 6 year old played for a little league “yankees” team this year, and I often catch him watching Yankees games on mlb tv. He’s really gotten into it. Has the pennant on the wall and everything.

Anyway he totally lost it tonight, screaming “nooooo” after the cards-Yankees game ended. It was awesome.

He’s too young now to really care, but growing up in Sacramento he is almost certainly going to end up a giants fan… but a cards- Yankees World Series might be hugely influential. Please, gods of baseball, let this happen :)
   241. Howie Menckel Posted: August 06, 2022 at 10:42 PM (#6090359)
fun stuff, Sleepy.

my twin and I got into a first-grade playground verbal battle with another kid on NYM vs NYY, and we were locked in for life (especially for me, once the Mets won the WS not even two years later, lol. but the other kid grew up with a positive outlook on life, I'm sure.)
   242. sunday silence (again) Posted: August 07, 2022 at 12:02 AM (#6090366)
in other news, apparently spin rates are up again, this July was the highest for that month ever:

https://twitter.com/baseballdoesnt/status/1553461182270476291?s=21&t=IyayNHIzxc_6XCWOTf9vPw
   243. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: August 07, 2022 at 12:27 AM (#6090369)
Dodgers beat the Padres again and now lead by 14.5 games in the standings. The NL West race looks like it's going to be ending early this year.
   244. The Duke Posted: August 07, 2022 at 12:31 AM (#6090370)
Cool Papa Bell. So fast he could hit the light switch and be in bed before the bulb went out. Good name for a race horse
   245. Walt Davis Posted: August 07, 2022 at 01:34 AM (#6090374)
This announcer agrees with Walt

So you're saying I'm wrong.
   246. TVerik - Dr. Velocity Posted: August 07, 2022 at 01:42 AM (#6090375)
Yanks beaten by two Jordans, a Genesis, and a Giovanny.
   247. sanny manguillen Posted: August 07, 2022 at 09:42 AM (#6090383)
Does anyone have insights into how much authority managers have over playing time, lineups or batting order now? My guess is that every manager gets printouts telling them what to do. It's also my guess that management understands that Dusty Baker is going to ignore the printouts, but that Derek Shelton in Pittsburgh better follow it pretty closely. Is that right?
   248. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 10:48 AM (#6090391)
Does anyone have insights into how much authority managers have over playing time, lineups or batting order now? My guess is that every manager gets printouts telling them what to do. It's also my guess that management understands that Dusty Baker is going to ignore the printouts, but that Derek Shelton in Pittsburgh better follow it pretty closely. Is that right?

I think they (the managers) still have a pretty strong hand in it. The Cardinals front office and coaches pre-plan the rotation weeks in advance and will update it on situation basis, and the team works together on planning off days for the starters, but lineup is probably entirely up to the manager. If you have that much micro managing, I don't think you keep managers long.
   249. Bret Sabermatrician Posted: August 07, 2022 at 11:14 AM (#6090393)
Watching the Little League World Series last night because the local team from Taylors, SC was in an elimination game and we know a kid.

Taylors gets the lead in the 8th thanks to the ghost runner rule. Game then delayed 3 hours due to weather and starts back around 9:30.

The NC team ties it in the bottom of the 8th before Taylors, SC takes the lead by 2 in the top of the 9th.

So bottom of the 9th, ghost runner on 2nd, SC up 2 over NC.
First batter pops out.
2nd batter strikes out but the ball gets away from the catcher. They toss it to first and get the batter. Meanwhile the ghost runner tries to go from 2nd to home. Called out at the plate for our #3 and SC celebrates.

But wait, NC appeals for replay and the umps review it. Call at the plate is overturned. NC now down 1 with 2 outs.

Next NC batter strikes out swinging, but the ball gets by the catcher again and they whip it down to first and the batter is called out. sC celebrate and the umps start to leave the field.

But wait, NC continue to appeal and the umps decide to review the call at first. They change the call and the batter is ruled safe.

After 2 wild pitches, the former batter scores on a single and the game is now tied.

SC gets out of the inning but fails to score in the top of the 10th. NC scores after 2 batters to win in the bottom of the 10th.

While it is important to get the calls right, can't imagine how tough it was for the SC kids to be told they won twice, only to then lose. Neither out call was egregious. The overturns were close but likely correct, but I'm not sure we need replay in 11-12 year old baseball.
   250. Walt Davis Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:01 PM (#6090400)
I'm not sure we need replay in 11-12 year old baseball.

What was the betting line?
   251. The Duke Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:01 PM (#6090401)
Phillies honoring the 1980 Phillies including Pete Rose

When asked by a female reporter about statutory rape allegations with a 14 year old girl during his playing days Rose replied

"It was 55 years ago, babe,"

Perfect Pete Rose response - no wonder baseball has boxed him out for so long

252. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:13 PM (#6090402)
Tommy Pham hasn't looked good with the Red Sox, and they're giving us plenty of chances to see him, batting him leadoff.
   253. fran Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:28 PM (#6090404)
I don't know what you expect Rose to say.
Nice game for McKenzie. So far.
   254. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:32 PM (#6090405)
Carpenter gets an rbi to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead. (my proxy is sucking, constant lag, and I've tried five different cities so far, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and Kansas City... I might try Detroit, had good luck there before but last few times it's been iffy.)
   255. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:36 PM (#6090406)
I don't know what you expect Rose to say.
Not that.
   256. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:37 PM (#6090407)
Cardinals respond right back with a couple of singles, and a third by Arenado to make it 1-1 (Goldy sucks apparently as he popped out)
   257. Banta Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:41 PM (#6090408)
Rose reasons that if the lady is now at retirement age, how could it be statutory rape? Besides, everyone was doing it back then! It was a different culture.
   258. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 02:58 PM (#6090410)
Lol... decided to go to the NYY broadcast to see what they thought of that first pitch to Judge from Wainwright, and the broadcast has zero lag. They do agree with the Cardinal announcers as that was clearly a strike.

Too bad I can't do Yes video and Cardinals radio for audio. (I guess I can if I open two browsers)
   259. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:00 PM (#6090411)
4-1 Yankees with Carpenter up to bat and two outs in the 2nd inning, couldn't score a run to save their life last night, now tons of runs.
   260. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:03 PM (#6090412)
This ump ####### sucks.
   261. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:04 PM (#6090413)
I think Donaldson swung at that pitch simply because he knew the ump screwed the Cardinals out of two strikes.
   262. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:08 PM (#6090414)
I guess the umpire either really sucks, or he realized he screwed up and gave DeJong a gimme walk on what should have been strike three.
   263. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:19 PM (#6090415)
Nice piece of trivia.. The Cardinals and Yankees have met in the World Series as many times as they have met in interleague play (5)
   264. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:22 PM (#6090416)
So far (and yes I know the circumstances) it's pronounced MontASS.
Uh, gah ... unfortunate bobble by Hicks.
   265. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:22 PM (#6090417)
Very ... ugh.
   266. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:22 PM (#6090418)
Cardinals take the lead 6-4 Goldy drives in Molina on a fly to center and Arenado hits a three run shot. This is a heck of a series.
   267. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:25 PM (#6090419)
Hell of an upgrade:

Montgomery last night: 2 hits, no runs

Montas (so far today) 4 hits, 3 walks, 6 runs

268. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:25 PM (#6090420)
I wouldn't trust Boone-y to pour piss out of a boot with directions written on the heel.
   269. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:28 PM (#6090421)
Montas (so far today) 4 hits, 3 walks, 6 runs

It's his first start after the injury.
Boone-y has to be alert to the fact that his command and control might not be there.
He started warming Abreu WAY too late in that inning.
   270. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:29 PM (#6090422)
This ump ####### sucks.

He gave Wainwright three gift strikes and the Cardinals announcer said nothing but "good pitch", and implied that the 6'7" Judge has to expect strike zone "adjustments".

But when he blew three pitchers in the other direction they talked about it for the next two batters. Those announcers are pure homers to a degree I don't see much from TV crews. Radio, sure.

But yeah, the umpire sucks. No argument there.
   271. The Duke Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:30 PM (#6090424)
1-0 game last night and 6-4 after two innings today.

Baseball
   272. The Duke Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:31 PM (#6090425)
I've been watching the Orioles lately. This is a pretty good and fun team to watch. The AL East is going to be a different division next year
   273. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:43 PM (#6090426)
He gave Wainwright three gift strikes and the Cardinals announcer said nothing but "good pitch", and implied that the 6'7" Judge has to expect strike zone "adjustments".

You are nuts if you think he got gift strikes the first time against Judge. The only gift strike was against LeMathieu in the first inning, beyond that... nope sorry. A leadoff batter to the game a miscall on the second pitch isn't the same thing as bases loaded situation and those two against Donaldson.
   274. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:48 PM (#6090427)
You are nuts if you think he got gift strikes the first time against Judge.

They weren't against Judge. There were two against Trevino and one against another batter. Judge got the gift ball on a pitch that was almost down the middle, but that's when the announcer alluded to Judge's usual problem with below the knee strikes and implied that he has to expect calls like those, given his height. When Kay & co. complain about the umpiring, they don't just complain when the calls go against the Yankees.
   275. salvomania Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:52 PM (#6090428)
He gave Wainwright three gift strikes and the Cardinals announcer said nothing but "good pitch"

According to Gameday, he got one gift strike through the first three innings, strike 1 to Trevino in the second inning, just off the bottom corner away. The next pitch was another called strike, in the same general location, but this time nipping the edge of the zone (according to Gameday). Both pitches were close enough that they could have been called balls or strikes.

The "ball one" to Judge in the second, though, Gameday has as being 3-4 inches below the top of the zone.
   276. The Duke Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:56 PM (#6090429)
I think the ump got those calls right - Waino's curve looks like it was breaking late. That little box on the screen isn't trustworthy- I'd need to see a side angle of those pitches but I'd be willing to bet the ump got it right. No doubt the ump has a right zone on both sides
   277. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:57 PM (#6090430)

They weren't against Judge. There were two against Trevino and one against another batter. Judge got the gift ball on a pitch that was almost down the middle, but that's when the announcer alluded to Judge's usual problem with below the knee strikes and implied that he has to expect calls like those, given his height. When Kay & co. complain about the umpiring, they don't just complain when the calls go against the Yankees.

Neither of those to Trevino was a gift, they were close, and crossed over the strike zone on the way to where they ended up. They might have been iffy calls, but those aren't calls that will be graded by any system as a missed call.
   278. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 03:58 PM (#6090431)
I think the ump got those calls right - Waino's curve looks like it was breaking late. That little box on the screen isn't trustworthy- I'd need to see a side angle of those pitches but I'd be willing to bet the ump got it right. No doubt the ump has a right zone on both sides

Judge thought it was strike, The Cardinal announcers thought it was strike, the Yes announcers thought it was a strike, Gameday thought it was a strike. Yes he missed the call, there is absolutely no doubt about that.

This ump just can't judge a curveball.
   279. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:01 PM (#6090433)
You are nuts if you think he got gift strikes the first time against Judge.

Went back and checked the GameDay zone: 2 in zone strikes, 2 out of zone balls, 1 out of zone ball in play.
   280. Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:02 PM (#6090434)
Pham just hit a ball about 40 feet past the 387 sign in LC.
   281. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:03 PM (#6090435)
Still NOBODY warming for StL???

[edit] Escape! But was some serious rolling of the dice given the inning and pitch count.
And ... now MacFarland has sat down?
   282. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:11 PM (#6090436)
That second strike to Donovan in the 4th was a more egregious call than either to Trevino and the Cardinal announcers didn't even acknowledge that it was a bad call.
   283. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:13 PM (#6090437)
Still NOBODY warming for StL???

They said that they are getting someone up in the bullpen after Waino walked Donaldson. Didn't say who, but they might have been talking about the Yankees also.

Edit: okay, they just confirmed no one throwing in the pen.
   284. fran Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:13 PM (#6090438)
Ready for deGrom, and ready to see what the Atlanta defense will come up with today.
Plus -- Tampa Bay is bringing out the big bats! Sigh!
   285. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:15 PM (#6090439)
Whatever you think about the umpiring, the Yankees' problems go a lot further than gift strikes. Going into today's game, Hicks / Torres / Donaldson are a combined 23 for 138 since the All-Star break, Benintendi is 2 for 25 since the trade, the starters aren't giving them innings, and the bullpen has blown 5 of 11 save opportunities. Basically they're being carried by LeMahieu, Judge, Carpenter and Rizzo, but beyond that, bleccchhh.
   286. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:16 PM (#6090440)
And Arenado just struck out on the exact same pitch that was called for Trevino, and yet again the "homer" announcers didn't say anything about it being a bad call. They weren't complaining because they were homers, they were complaining because it was a truly bad call.
   287. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:20 PM (#6090441)
Nobody in the pen, and leadoff batter hits an automatic double. Waino is at 105+ pitches not a tremendous total, but to the point that you need to warm someone up.
   288. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:28 PM (#6090442)
This game is far from over. Yankees bases loaded no outs top of the fifth.
   289. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:28 PM (#6090443)
Waino is at 105+ pitches not a tremendous total, but to the point that you need to warm someone up.

100+ to *start* the 5th is a bunch. It's enough that there would be no way I would not have at least 1 guy ready by the start of the inning.
   290. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:30 PM (#6090444)
cfb, tell us about that third "strike" to Gonzalez. What a joke.
   291. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:30 PM (#6090445)
Now that was another bad call, went the Cardinals way this time. Another curveball that the ump called incorrectly, and the Cardinal announcers did mention it was a bad call.
   292. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:31 PM (#6090446)
That was a ball, but so was the pitch Gonzalez swung at just before, so ... blame yourself, Marwin.
   293. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:33 PM (#6090447)
That was close, Bader would have had that.
   294. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:34 PM (#6090448)
Luckily, it turns out a Judge trumps an Umpire.
   295. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:34 PM (#6090449)
Aaron Judge delivers his verdict, gaveling a 2-run double off the CF wall. Tie game, 6-6.
   296. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:34 PM (#6090450)
This ump cannot call a curveball to save his life. That one to Carpenter was Eric Gregg level of bad.
   297. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:35 PM (#6090451)
Oof ... same call on Carpenter for a strike.
   298. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:35 PM (#6090452)
And "strike" one to Carpenter that was half a ####### foot outside.
   299. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:36 PM (#6090453)
Boone should have brought his iPad out to illustrate his argument with the home plate umpire.
   300. cardsfanboy Posted: August 07, 2022 at 04:37 PM (#6090454)
That has been a strike pretty much all day there, but still it was also outside.

Edit: actually that was a bit more outside than I thought, it's settled this ump just sucks ass and is taking the players out of the game.
Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn)
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogOT - August/September 2022 College Football thread
(1 - 6:49pm, Aug 17)
Last: Lance Reddick! Lance him!

NewsblogAthletics release Andrus in final year of $120M deal
(13 - 6:36pm, Aug 17)
Last: RickG

NewsblogMajor League Baseball's postseason schedule could feature latest calendar date in World Series history
(22 - 6:30pm, Aug 17)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

NewsblogSources: New York Mets to call up touted 3B prospect Brett Baty
(3 - 6:14pm, Aug 17)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogSteep drop, but still season-high, for “Field of Dreams” sequel
(17 - 5:35pm, Aug 17)

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(76 - 5:16pm, Aug 17)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogJon Daniels dismissed by Rangers; Chris Young to run baseball ops
(5 - 5:03pm, Aug 17)
Last: BDC

NewsblogWhen does a rebuild fail? Inside the Detroit Tigers' disaster -- and what it means for your team
(2 - 5:01pm, Aug 17)
Last: Walt Davis

Sox TherapyOver and Under
(17 - 4:33pm, Aug 17)
Last: villageidiom

NewsblogRed-hot Oswaldo Cabrera joining Estevan Florial as call-up to reeling Yankees
(2 - 4:14pm, Aug 17)

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(47 - 3:41pm, Aug 17)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogVideo shows Tony La Russa may have listened to fan in stands before putting pinch runner in
(25 - 3:01pm, Aug 17)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogAtlanta Braves, Michael Harris II agree to 8-year, $72 million extension
(7 - 2:04pm, Aug 17)
Last: Hombre Brotani

Jim's Lab NotesSite Issue Fixed
(3 - 10:02am, Aug 17)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogHow Dylan Cease became an ace
(3 - 8:13am, Aug 17)
Last: sanny manguillen

Page rendered in 1.2202 seconds
45 querie(s) executed