Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, February 15, 2019

OT - 2018-19 NBA thread (All-Star Weekend to Twelfth of Never edition)

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, none of whom can be bothered to curate their own thread to avoid detracting from what this site is really about:  Kyler Murray and how the Galactic Empire did nothing wrong.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 15, 2019 at 12:14 PM | 1586 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: basketball, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 13 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›
   1201. Booey Posted: April 09, 2019 at 01:30 PM (#5829999)
Flip
   1202. Moses Taylor loves a good maim Posted: April 09, 2019 at 01:40 PM (#5830008)
Some of these brand sponsored/manufactured farewell tours are turning into a bit much, but yeah, that Wade thing was great. Good job, Budweiser (wtf?).

---

This is also very good.
   1203. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: April 09, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5830070)
Westbrook and Draymond are also very good players, I feel like this is a weird definition of overrated. Shouldn't it apply to truly bad/overpaid players like Wiggins, or fine but wildly overpaid players like John Wall?

I'd bet a "most over-rated" poll of NBA players would bring back similar results to a "well-regarded guy that I hate" poll of NBA players.
   1204. Booey Posted: April 09, 2019 at 03:18 PM (#5830077)
Shouldn't it apply to truly bad/overpaid players like Wiggins

Wiggins is certainly (wildly) overpaid, but does anyone actually still think he's a star (or even have star potential)? He can't be overrated if no one thinks he's good.

I can see why Draymond and Westbrook made the list. Both are significantly down statistically from their peaks of a few years ago, but still have pretty much the same star reputation they always did. Personally, I've always thought that triple doubles were over-hyped (and that was before they were a dime a dozen), so it doesn't surprise me that some of the guys who gets lots of them tend to be overrated.
   1205. Booey Posted: April 09, 2019 at 03:57 PM (#5830113)
Poll of 122 nba players with some interesting results.

I like that "NBA" was tied for 5th place* in the question, "Where will Kevin Durant play next year?" It makes me happy to know that there's a few smart asses in the league. ;-)

* Granted, that was with 1.8% of the vote, so it's only like 2 people, but still...
   1206. Booey Posted: April 09, 2019 at 04:44 PM (#5830145)
Crazy how up for grabs most the seeding still is in the West. I've been racking my brain pondering all the possibilities. Jazz will probably finish 5th (for the 3rd year in a row), but there's an outside chance they could finish 4th or 6th. Weirdly, 6th would actually be their best possible position considering the match ups that would have to happen for them to end up there. For the Jazz to finish in the preferred 6th spot and get a hobbled Portland in the first round and an inexperienced Denver in the 2nd (and thus avoid GSW and HOU until the WCF)...

...Jazz need to lose their final 2 games (vs DEN and @ LAC, so it's not out of the question even if they don't tank)
...Portland needs to win their final 2 games (@ LAL and vs SAC, so again, not that unlikely)
...OKC needs to win their final 2 games (vs HOU and @ MIL). Sounds hard, but HOU is at home and MIL will probably be resting everybody, so it's not impossible.

That would give DEN the #2 seed since HOU's loss to OKC would put them behind. POR would be #3 by virtue of tie-breaker over HOU, who would then be #4. OKC would be #5 by virtue of tie-breaker over UTA. OKC/HOU would get to battle it out with each other in round 1 before the winner gets the Warriors, while the Jazz get POR/DEN instead. Sounds just about perfect...except that why would OKC allow that to happen? If they beat the Rockets tonight and the Jazz lose to Denver, shouldn't OKC just tank the Milwaukee game so THEY end up in 6th and get the POR/DEN road instead of HOU/GSW? Of course, if they do that, and SAS and/or LAC wins their final game (LAC would have to in my dream scenario since it's against the Jazz), they'll end up tying the Thunder and OKC could drop to 7th or 8th, depending on the tie breakers between those teams. 7th wouldn't be a bad position; they'd get DEN and the winner of POR vs the 6th seed, but 8th would be an early death sentence.

See what I mean? My head hurts.
   1207. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: April 09, 2019 at 05:33 PM (#5830178)
It's pretty amazing that Portland still has a shot at the 3 seed given the injuries. They're 9-2 since McCollum went down, and that's with losing Nurkic in the middle of that stretch. If that happens, then yeah, the West nos. 6 and 7 will have much more realistic path to the WCF.

Portland still is on the outside. But if OKC beats Houston tonight, maybe that gives Portland a shot in the arm in their game against the Lakers. Then they just need to beat Sacramento in their final game. Of course, it's not like the 3 seed did them much good last year.
   1208. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: April 09, 2019 at 08:25 PM (#5830222)
lol Pistons why do I even care
   1209. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 09, 2019 at 08:29 PM (#5830225)
Wally Szczerbiak is looking ill-used these days.
   1210. Moeball Posted: April 09, 2019 at 08:29 PM (#5830226)
Also keep in mind - Tor at Min tonight. I would normally say easy win for Raptors. But Tor can't get #1 seed nor can they fall to #3. So they may just rest players. But if they do and they lose, they are in danger of losing home court vs GS should they meet in the finals. So I don't think they are going to mail this one in.
   1211. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:01 PM (#5830240)
Magic out?
   1212. PJ Martinez Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:04 PM (#5830242)
Yeah, apparently he's telling the press but hasn't told Jeannie Buss yet? I'm guessing she knows now.

Meanwhile, Woj has some anti-Magic sources:
Since taking over as president of the Lakers, Magic Johnson never fully committed to the job. Often he was traveling and away from the team. His office hours were limited. He didn't do a lot of scouting. Running an NBA team takes a tremendous commitment of time and energy.
   1213. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:12 PM (#5830244)
lot of news in the last 15 minutes. Besides Magic, Steph sprained his foot and is out for the rest of the game.
   1214. PJ Martinez Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:16 PM (#5830246)
More Woj:
Lakers coaching staff fully expected to be fired in hours after the final game of the season. They had believed they were gone for months. Now? Magic quits in public, saying he's too scared to tell Jeanie Buss face-to-face. What an embarrassing episode for a historic franchise.
   1215. Fourth True Outcome Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:17 PM (#5830247)
It is truly wild that Magic Johnson didn't have the guts to tell Jeanie Buss personally before he got in front of tv cameras to resign.
   1216. MHS Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:17 PM (#5830248)
Giving up twitter for lent is painful. God id love to read some of the magic stuff out there.
   1217. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:18 PM (#5830249)
Somehow, this will be LeBron's fault.
   1218. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:24 PM (#5830251)
Well, this all seems... horrible.
   1219. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:28 PM (#5830253)
I blame Glen Taylor.
   1220. 57i66135 is a hard word for me. Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:31 PM (#5830255)
Well, this all seems... horrible.

just to be safe, you better trade lebron to buffalo.
   1221. Ken Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:32 PM (#5830256)
the Heat are killing the 6ers but with Charlotte and Detroit winning, I believe they (the Heat) were just eliminated from playoff contention anyway. Sort of a bummer, although Wade getting killed by the Bucks wouldn't be a great career capper either.
   1222. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:37 PM (#5830258)
When the Lakers fire Walton and hire Tyronn Lue tomorrow, will there still be holdouts in Lakerland insisting that LeBron is absolutely not for all practical purposes the president and GM of basketball ops, don't be ridiculous?
   1223. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:37 PM (#5830259)
This Magic Johnson thing is taking deserved attention away from the Pistons exciting comeback against the Memphis Hustle.
   1224. PJ Martinez Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:37 PM (#5830260)
Magic Johnson is still going strong with this impromptu presser, approaching close to 40 minutes of rambling.
   1225. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:39 PM (#5830263)
This Magic Johnson thing is taking deserved attention away from the Pistons exciting comeback against the Memphis Hustle.

Also from the exciting curb stomping the Barneys are dealing out to the Twolves.
   1226. JC in DC Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:41 PM (#5830264)
Magic Johnson is a very difficult person to like. I imagine that, once the drama settles down, this will be good for LA.
   1227. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:42 PM (#5830265)
I mean, what moves had the team made with Magic that were successful? Aside from LeBron, which always seemed to me to be more about LeBron than whoever was in the Lakers FO.
   1228. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 09, 2019 at 09:47 PM (#5830267)
Meanwhile, Woj has some anti-Magic sources:
Since taking over as president of the Lakers, Magic Johnson never fully committed to the job. Often he was traveling and away from the team. His office hours were limited. He didn't do a lot of scouting. Running an NBA team takes a tremendous commitment of time and energy.

TBF, if I had Magic's money this is about as much as I'd ever put into a job, too. But I also wouldn't accept that job in the first place I guess.
   1229. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 09, 2019 at 10:12 PM (#5830268)
It looks like Luke Walton was the major reason for the move. Magic probably pushed for it, Jeanie Buss smacked him down, and he couldn't see a path to where he wanted to go or have the control he always feels he needs to have.
I mean, what moves had the team made with Magic that were successful?
I think Magic gets a lot of credit for clearing the payroll space to make Lebron and another max player possible.
   1230. Moses Taylor loves a good maim Posted: April 09, 2019 at 10:28 PM (#5830272)
Magic Johnson is a very difficult person to like. I imagine that, once the drama settles down, this will be good for LA.

This is my take, too. Unless LeBron demands a trade, this might be better for the Lakers next year. Embarrassing publicly, sure, but might not matter.

When the Lakers fire Walton and hire Tyronn Lue tomorrow, will there still be holdouts in Lakerland insisting that LeBron is absolutely not for all practical purposes the president and GM of basketball ops, don't be ridiculous?

What does this even mean?
   1231. Tin Angel Posted: April 09, 2019 at 10:44 PM (#5830276)
What does this even mean?

Yeah, I mean wasn't it the sense that Magic was the one that wanted such coaching legends as Jason Kidd and Tyronn Lue to replace Walton? You'd think LeBron has had enough mediocre coaching to last him a lifetime at this point.
   1232. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 09, 2019 at 11:38 PM (#5830283)
I know it's just a round number and tonight probably didn't matter, but I am very happy Jazz got to 50 wins. I was worried the way they started the season, but probably underrated the importance of the schedule and didn't know Donovan was still not quite healthy. And speaking of him, 46/7/4 tonight. Rudy also dominated Jokic. It's too bad the Jazz' ceiling is the 2nd round again since they can't avoid the Warriors.
   1233. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:19 AM (#5830293)
Mike Trout was pulled from the game, right groin strain. The Angel bullpen gives up the lead. Everything is built on Trout. No Trout, nothing left.
   1234. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:40 AM (#5830297)
Wrong thread, obv.
   1235. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:17 AM (#5830302)
It's too bad the Jazz' ceiling is the 2nd round again since they can't avoid the Warriors.

1st round now, it appears.

Bittersweet night for Jazz fans. I agree there's something about 50 wins that's just so much more satisfying than 49. And Mitchell tying his career high of 46 and Gobert holding Jokic to 2 pts and fouling him out in 16 minutes should have been really cool...

...but with OKC beating HOU on a last second 3 and POR doing the exact same thing to LAL, it's almost certain now that the Jazz end up with the Rockets in the first round (Blazers just need to beat the Kings at home tomorrow). Despite the win, tonight feels like a gut punch. Utah would have been better off losing tonight (and tomorrow) to try for the 6th seed instead. Now, despite all their recent struggles, OKC has a legit shot at the conference finals while the Rockets lose in the 2nd round and the Jazz in the first. Sometimes life just isn't fair...
   1236. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:38 AM (#5830305)
(Blazers just need to beat the Kings at home tomorrow)

Edit: Oh, and DEN needs to beat MIN at home tomorrow, so I guess the Jazz still have two possible routes to land Portland in the first round instead of Houston. Neither seems likely to happen though, unfortunately.
   1237. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:10 AM (#5830306)
I agree there's something about 50 wins that's just so much more satisfying than 49
*sigh*
   1238. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:08 AM (#5830333)
I saw the sort of but not really tongue in cheek take that Houston would prefer to face the Warriors in the 2nd round (rather than the WCF) because Paul won't be hurt yet and Harden won't be totally exhausted. Kind of makes sense.
   1239. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:12 AM (#5830336)
It looks like Luke Walton was the major reason for the move. Magic probably pushed for it, Jeanie Buss smacked him down, and he couldn't see a path to where he wanted to go or have the control he always feels he needs to have.

Hasn't Buss repeatedly said she defers to Magic/Pelinka? I mean maybe that's a front, but she did fire her own brother and hired Magic. I take Magic at his word that he burnt out and basically wanted to mentor who he wants and tweet to his heart's desire.
   1240. Harlond Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:15 AM (#5830338)
I was listening to Woj this morning, and he said Magic had Buss's permission to fire Walton and was on his way to swing the axe when he decided instead to quit.

Also, Woj said, in clear and undiplomatic terms, that Magic did a terrible job as president and that if Buss wanted to restore the Lakers to their former preeminence, she needed to hire a competent president and get the hell out of the way. I was surprised he was so blunt about it.
   1241. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:23 AM (#5830341)
if Buss wanted to restore the Lakers to their former preeminence, she needed to hire a competent president and get the hell out of the way. I was surprised he was so blunt about it.

I'm starting to wonder if their best play for the remainder of the LeBron years is to just hire guys he likes: bring in Griffin and Lue. He played great when healthy this year but I never really got the impression he was totally locked in to the team and engaged, but that's the many miles away view and could of course be wrong.
   1242. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5830347)
I think Magic gets a lot of credit for clearing the payroll space to make Lebron and another max player possible.

I think that's reasonable, yeah.
   1243. NJ in NJ Posted: April 10, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5830356)
[1242] ...eh. Maybe my memory is off, but it didn't take a genius to figure out how to clear the Lakers' cap space. Anyone with a pulse could have done that.
   1244. spivey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM (#5830361)
Huge comeback from OKC last night in the second half. Now if they beat the Bucks (who are probably gonna rest folks since they've locked up home court and got 60 wins), they'll avoid Golden State in the first round. I'm kind of bummed about that, actually, as that would be great first round entertainment.
   1245. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:04 AM (#5830362)
[1242] ...eh. Maybe my memory is off, but it didn't take a genius to figure out how to clear the Lakers' cap space. Anyone with a pulse could have done that.

Sure, but the Russell deal looks like a really good deal for the Lakers. They got back a useful player (who they later squandered, but still), and the pick that turned into Kuzma. That's more than just a salary dump.

This take of course requires agreeing with me that Russell isn't very good, so opinions will vary on that.
   1246. Moses Taylor loves a good maim Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:34 AM (#5830372)
Also, Woj said, in clear and undiplomatic terms, that Magic did a terrible job as president and that if Buss wanted to restore the Lakers to their former preeminence, she needed to hire a competent president and get the hell out of the way. I was surprised he was so blunt about it.

Never, ever trust Woj with analysis. He's just being a mouthpiece for someone he considers a really important source (LeBron doesn't appear to use Woj at all, so it ain't him).
   1247. Crosseyed and Painless Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:58 AM (#5830385)
r, ever trust Woj with analysis. He's just being a mouthpiece for someone he considers a really important source (LeBron doesn't appear to use Woj at all, so it ain't him).

This article's summary of the end of the Dumars era should come with a trigger warning for Pistons fans.
   1248. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 11:03 AM (#5830388)
Nick Friedell @NickFriedell
Davis on why he wore the "That's All Folks" t-shirt last night: "I didn't choose it. I actually didn't choose it. It was hanging for me already when I put my clothes on."

Do you know who hung it?

"No, I'm not sure."

Man this guy has had an embarrassing few months.
   1249. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 11:25 AM (#5830396)
So barring an unlikely upset tonight (MIN over DEN or SAC over POR), it looks like Denver's sneaky plan to gift wrap that win for Portland a few nights ago is going to pay off, and they'll successfully dodge the Rockets. I hate the idea of tanking down the stretch to secure favorable playoff match ups. I really, really hope the Wolves can take out the Nuggets tonight and make Denver's plan backfire. If that happens, not only would DEN draw HOU in the 2nd round after all, but they'd have given up HC against them to boot. That would be poetic justice.

Assuming that doesn't happen though, last night really killed most of my excitement about the playoffs. It looks likely that the 3rd best team in the West (Jazz) is going to lose in the 1st round, and the 2nd best team in the West (Rockets) is going to lose in the 2nd, while one of the 4th-6th best teams is getting to the WCF. Hell, the 6th and 7th seeds have an easier playoff path than even the #1 seed (Dubs stuck with the Rockets in the 2nd round while some combination of DEN/POR/OKC/SAS/LAC gets each other).
   1250. spivey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:01 PM (#5830411)
The bottom of the East is interesting, though Detroit just has to beat a tanking NYK to lock up the last spot. Seeding could be interesting. I'm hoping that Orlando wins so Milwaukee avoids them, because I think they're clearly the strongest of the 4 teams with a chance to finish 6-8. They are 20-10 in their last 30 games, have been one of the best defenses in the league the second half of the year, and could just generally turn a matchup into a bit more of a knife fight than you'd like.

Detroit and Brooklyn are pretty soft imo, and will get rolled.
   1251. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:03 PM (#5830414)
It looks likely that the 3rd best team in the West (Jazz) is going to lose in the 1st round, and the 2nd best team in the West (Rockets) is going to lose in the 2nd, while one of the 4th-6th best teams is getting to the WCF. Hell, the 6th and 7th seeds have an easier playoff path than even the #1 seed (Dubs stuck with the Rockets in the 2nd round while some combination of DEN/POR/OKC/SAS/LAC gets each other).

Way too much certainty in here, I think. I think this is the most open WC playoffs in the last few years, even though Golden State remains the clear favorite.
   1252. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM (#5830421)
Never, ever trust Woj with analysis. He's just being a mouthpiece for someone he considers a really important source (LeBron doesn't appear to use Woj at all, so it ain't him).
The Lakers are one of those teams that actively works to prevent leaks to Woj. (They have preferred outlets for leaks.) That makes Woj crazy, and it shows in his "analysis."
   1253. nick swisher hygiene Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:18 PM (#5830422)
Yeah, I have no idea how to rank the 2-6 teams in the West firmly enough to get invested in any injustice scenarios.

Given injuries over the year, and roster shape going forward, it seems just crazy to make such definite assertions.

(I am comfortable with putting the Spurs and Clips a notch below though).

Booey, you’ve plunged down a fanhole—pull yourself out, man!
   1254. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:42 PM (#5830432)
Way too much certainty in here, I think. I think this is the most open WC playoffs in the last few years, even though Golden State remains the clear favorite.

Yeah, I have no idea how to rank the 2-6 teams in the West firmly enough to get invested in any injustice scenarios.

Given injuries over the year, and roster shape going forward, it seems just crazy to make such definite assertions.

Yeah, it's all subjective, of course. It just sucks to see my team go on a big run at the end of the year to move up in the standings and then have it turn out that they would have been better off losing a few more games instead. Whether it's tanking for draft picks or this, I hate "losing to win." But yeah, as of now, I'd much rather be the 6th or 7th seed than the 4th or 5th seed. Like I said, it kills a lot of my excitement for the playoffs.

Edit: And I mostly agree that teams 3-6 (UTA/DEN/POR/OKC) can be placed in whatever order you want, but I do think that the Rockets are a pretty clear #2 (just like I think SAS and LAC are clearly below 3-6).
   1255. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5830435)
Dirk makes retirement official. He'll finish with the sixth highest point total in NBA history. Love Dirk. Got choked up watching him say his farewells to the crowd.
   1256. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5830437)
I was not aware that quitting almost ghosting was a Magic 'thing'. Someone else walked me through Magic's history of this behavior which floored me
   1257. Moeball Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:20 PM (#5830440)
Today, children, Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter "D". D is for Dirk, who brought Dallas an improbable championship in 2011. D is also for D-Wade, who led Miami to a championship against Dirk back in 2006. These are two great players whose career narratives were very much intertwined. It's kind of a sad day seeing the end of an era with them both leaving the game together.
   1258. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5830441)

Yes, even if they had homecourt advantage I'd expect the Rockets to beat the Jazz, but I don't think it's a given this year. Ariza was by far their best Donovan defender (and someone who seems to bother him more than anyone else in the league), and Chris Paul still is not as good as he was last year. Most likely Harden will make all of this moot the way he's playing, but the overall quality of the two teams is not that different (and considering point differential, you could make an argument for the Jazz).
   1259. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5830447)
1250--heard a very persuasive argument that the Bucks have been doing just enough to get by most obviously by playing Giannis as needed and that come the playoffs with the off days Milwaukee will be able to do whatever, whenever and Bud will have to be outcoached for Milwaukee not to get to the Finals. I think Stevens can outcoach Bud. I think he can hold up against everyone else in the EC, right?
   1260. Moeball Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5830450)
I know this isn't likely to happen, but it is still possible that teams 2-4 in the West can all finish with identical records and so can teams 6-8. So it may all come down to the tie breakers! Crazy!
   1261. JC in DC Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:37 PM (#5830452)
"quitting almost ghosting"

Please explain?
   1262. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:40 PM (#5830454)
1261. Explainer in ghosting . Like on his TV show Magic supposedly just stopped showing up for a lot of the meetings, etc.
   1263. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5830455)
1262 pretty sure that's not the part that 1261 needed an explanation of. could you maybe expand on Magic's "history of this behavior" beyond "etc"?
   1264. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5830460)
Apparently the Wikipedia article on ghosting has ghosted.
   1265. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 01:59 PM (#5830463)
1263--Really? Ok. I figured this place had all of Johnson's history and I was the one playing catchup. Here is the Wiki on Magic's TV show which mentions his approach

He quit as interim coach which is pretty understandable from the few details available on the internet. He left the show at ESPN a few weeks before the 2013 season started. Then he quits the Lakers with no notice to anyone.
   1266. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:00 PM (#5830464)
1264-It was just there. Trying again

Edit: Ok. Must be Wiki trying to be funny because the same is happening with this link. So I will just bag it
   1267. rr would lock Shaq's a$$ up Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:05 PM (#5830468)
Lakers going forward:

Jeanie is supposedly considering promoting Pelinka. Magic/LeBron haters inside the fanbase ofc want Pelinka out as well, and it may be that Pelinka would suck, but I don't think we know yet. My personal opinion is that most of the moves that pissed off people inside the fanbase—Russell, Randle, Lopez, and Rondo—were Magic decisions. I do expect that Pelinka was involved heavily in the Zubac deal. My reasoning for this guess is that the Muscala acquisition was based on basic metrics, and the others all reflect Magic’s old-school sensibilities and personal biases.If Jeanie does promote Pelinka, then I think she should also promote Ryan West, and that they should keep Walton. The other option is to fire Pelinka and bring in a guy from outside the organization, who would probably want his own coach and might not want legacy guys—Ryan West and the two other Busses—right underneath him.

I may share some thoughts on Magic in the context of his personality and Lakers history later, although I am not sure there would be general interest in them here with postseason about to get going.

Seems right that Wade and Nowitzki go out at the same time, and IIRC Bryant, Duncan, and Garnett all made it official the same year as well.
   1268. Hombre Brotani Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5830473)
The Athletic has come out with a slew of podcasts, including a couple of NBA casts. I'm particularly happy that they've got Zach Harper doing their daily NBA cast. Harper's great to listen to — he's just fun — and the NBA is just the most fun league to dish dirt about.
   1269. NJ in NJ Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:14 PM (#5830474)
1250--heard a very persuasive argument that the Bucks have been doing just enough to get by most obviously by playing Giannis as needed and that come the playoffs with the off days Milwaukee will be able to do whatever, whenever and Bud will have to be outcoached for Milwaukee not to get to the Finals. I think Stevens can outcoach Bud. I think he can hold up against everyone else in the EC, right?

One of my friends pointed out that Giannis has been playing 33 minutes a game and will likely be around 40 in the playoffs, which is a pretty substantial boost for the Bucks.
   1270. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:23 PM (#5830479)
1269--Yeah, but with off days isn't that standard for all the big players between regular season and playoffs??
   1271. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5830481)
The Athletic has come out with a slew of podcasts, including a couple of NBA casts. I'm particularly happy that they've got Zach Harper doing their daily NBA cast. Harper's great to listen to — he's just fun — and the NBA is just the most fun league to dish dirt about.

I'm not super psyched that you have to listen to them in the crappy Athletic app, though.
   1272. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:26 PM (#5830483)
1271--Is that a new requirement? Or just NBA? Because the Packers pod is available on iTunes.
   1273. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 10, 2019 at 02:59 PM (#5830501)
David Locke mentioned today that before the Nurkic injury it was expected if Blazers lost in the first round again they'd fire Stotts. Maybe it will still happen in which case I think the Lakers should fire Luke and hire him. Otherwise I don't know of any available coach that makes firing Luke worthwhile.
   1274. jmurph Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:03 PM (#5830505)
Stotts would be unemployed for like 5 minutes, that would be dumb for Portland to do.
   1275. RJ in TO Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5830510)
Otherwise I don't know of any available coach that makes firing Luke worthwhile.

Isiah Thomas is available.
   1276. Your favorite TFTIO, me! Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:34 PM (#5830521)
Isiah Thomas is available.

So is Isaiah! Player-coach and GM!
   1277. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:39 PM (#5830526)
1264-It was just there. Trying again

Edit: Ok. Must be Wiki trying to be funny because the same is happening with this link. So I will just bag it

It's BTF's fault. For some reason it deletes parentheses within URLs, so you can't link to a lot of things especially on Wikipedia.
   1278. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5830529)
boop.
   1279. Moses Taylor loves a good maim Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:42 PM (#5830530)
K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop 28m28 minutes ago

For 76ers: Butler, Embiid, Simmons, Harris, Redick, Ennis III all OUT.

For Bulls: Valentine, Carter, Hutchison, LaVine, Markkanen, Porter all OUT and Dunn DOUBTFUL but who are they kidding.

Geez.
   1280. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:46 PM (#5830534)
So now I'm seeing articles that the Blazers plan on resting Lillard and McCollum tonight against the Kings for "load management." That...seems weird to me, as a loss would drop them from 3rd to 4th. Even if they'd rather play the Jazz than the Thunder in the first round (I can understand that), it all but guarantees they have a 2nd round ceiling as it sets up a date with the Warriors in round 2 rather than the Nuggets. That's a bit harder for me to comprehend...

Today just needs to be over. All this seeding/match up stuff is driving me nuts.
   1281. rr would lock Shaq's a$$ up Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:52 PM (#5830540)
All this seeding/match up stuff is driving me nuts.

Yeah. I don't even follow it when it is that tight--I just wait until the matchups are locked.
   1282. spivey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 03:58 PM (#5830545)
Agreed. Booey, you need to relax. I think it's a bit silly of a thing to get worked up about. You got to beat who is in front of you, and I feel like these plans often don't payoff like you'd expect anyways.
   1283. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:00 PM (#5830546)
1277--Thanks!! I was like, WTF?
   1284. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:04 PM (#5830549)
Agreed. Booey, you need to relax. I think it's a bit silly of a thing to get worked up about.

Oh, I agree completely! Convincing my brain of that right now is just easier said than done.

Maybe if it wasn't such a boring day at work I'd actually have something else to focus on?

Sigh...
   1285. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:09 PM (#5830552)
I have to admit it I was (okay, am) a little geeked about Portland sneaking into the 3 seed. But the load management decision makes a ton of sense. It's a B2B at home after a tight road win. McCollum is obviously not 100%. Dame has been shooting poorly (37% in the last six games). Give the stars a breather before the real season happens.
   1286. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:27 PM (#5830557)
Stotts would be unemployed for like 5 minutes, that would be dumb for Portland to do.

I can't remember the last time Stotts Is Probably Getting Fired This Time rumors weren't flying at the end of a season. This seems odd inasmuch as Portland has been, by the reckoning of almost everyone, overachieving for most of his tenure, and also inasmuch as their superstar, Lillard, seems loyal to him.
   1287. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:34 PM (#5830561)
Yeah, Portland is going to win 52 or 53 games and finish with the 3rd or 4th seed, both of which are better than pretty much anyone expected. Firing Stotts after a season like that wouldn't make any sense.
   1288. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:38 PM (#5830562)
They weren't overachieving when they got swept by the Pelicans in the first round of the playoffs last year.

Just like Dwayne Casey, if you continually underachieve in the playoffs it makes everyone demoralized and start looking for a new face, no matter how illogical that may be. Maybe they should underachieve in the regular season instead, so they get a 7 seed and then there's no expectations in the playoffs.
   1289. NJ in NJ Posted: April 10, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5830572)
1269--Yeah, but with off days isn't that standard for all the big players between regular season and playoffs??

This is overly simplistic and quickly done at work, but...I looked at what I consider the 6 Finals contenders, made a judgment call on who their 2 best players are and then did the math on average MPG for last playoff run by that player minus current season MPG to see which teams will get the biggest star minutes boosts:

+10.2 MIL (Giannis, Bledsoe)
+10.0 BOS (Kyrie, Horford)
+7.7 PHI (Embiid, Butler)
+6.8 GSW (Steph, KD)
+3.9 TOR (Kawhi, Kyle)
+2.2 HOU (Harden, CP3)
   1290. 57i66135 is a hard word for me. Posted: April 10, 2019 at 06:16 PM (#5830601)
Geez.
a PHI loss plus a UTA win would mean that the sixers pick 24th in the draft, instead of 25th. clearly, the stakes for tonight could not possibly be higher.
+7.7 PHI (Embiid, Butler)
fwiw, embiid's "star boost" should be taken with some salt because of the broken face he got from that shitty MF going into last year's playoffs.
The bottom of the East is interesting, though Detroit just has to beat a tanking NYK to lock up the last spot. Seeding could be interesting. I'm hoping that Orlando wins so Milwaukee avoids them, because I think they're clearly the strongest of the 4 teams with a chance to finish 6-8. They are 20-10 in their last 30 games, have been one of the best defenses in the league the second half of the year, and could just generally turn a matchup into a bit more of a knife fight than you'd like.

Detroit and Brooklyn are pretty soft imo, and will get rolled.
DET has to outplay you to have a chance at winning a game. BRK only has to outscore you. they're a tougher matchup for just about anyone.
   1291. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 10, 2019 at 06:26 PM (#5830603)
a PHI loss plus a UTA win would mean that the sixers pick 24th in the draft, instead of 25th. clearly, the stakes for tonight could not possibly be higher.

"@andyblarsen
Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Kyle Korver, Derrick Favors, Dante Exum, Raul Neto, and Ricky Rubio all OUT for the Jazz against the Clippers tonight."
   1292. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 06:36 PM (#5830607)
"@andyblarsen
Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Kyle Korver, Derrick Favors, Dante Exum, Raul Neto, and Ricky Rubio all OUT for the Jazz against the Clippers tonight."

I assume Ingles is playing only because he has the NBA's longest active consecutive games streak on the line?

(and they might not have enough guys left to fill out the lineup if he doesn't)
   1293. PJ Martinez Posted: April 10, 2019 at 07:37 PM (#5830621)
Marcus Smart has suffered a torn oblique on left side and could be sidelined for the first two rounds of the playoffs, league source tells ESPN.
   1294. Tom Cervo, backup catcher Posted: April 10, 2019 at 07:39 PM (#5830623)
I assume Ingles is playing only because he has the NBA's longest active consecutive games streak on the line?

Yeah, and guessing he doesn't play many minutes. Gobert must have actually twisted his ankle yesterday to not play today, because I think he was on record as saying it was important to him to play all 82 this season.
   1295. JJ1986 Posted: April 10, 2019 at 10:58 PM (#5830705)
Why are the Blazers trying to lose?
   1296. spivey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 11:01 PM (#5830706)
Watching Patrick Beverly guard Curry 4+ games should be entertaining. Pretty happy as a Spurs/Bucks fan with the seeding.
   1297. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 11:22 PM (#5830708)
#1295 - I assume the Blazers decided they'd rather play the Jazz (2-2 head to head) instead of the Thunder (0-4). Makes sense based on those results, but they're basically giving up on a chance at getting past the 2nd round by doing that. I guess you need to get past the first round before worrying about the 2nd, though.
   1298. Booey Posted: April 10, 2019 at 11:40 PM (#5830713)
Jazz third stringers putting up a surprisingly good fight at halftime.
   1299. Davo Posted: April 11, 2019 at 12:13 AM (#5830715)
I really can’t believe we’re down by 11 in a must-win home game against a terrible Timberwolves team that is trying to lose on purpose.
   1300. Davo Posted: April 11, 2019 at 12:45 AM (#5830720)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 13 of 16 pages ‹ First  < 11 12 13 14 15 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogThe AL MVP race is closer than you think
(30 - 12:50am, Aug 16)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogYankees in desperate need of jolt as feeble slide continues to grow concern
(4 - 12:48am, Aug 16)
Last: TVerik - Dr. Velocity

NewsblogTwitter: Andres Gimenez makes a great, heads-up play
(3 - 11:06pm, Aug 15)
Last: My name is Votto, and I love to get Moppo

NewsblogRangers fire manager Chris Woodward in midst of fourth straight losing season
(17 - 11:05pm, Aug 15)
Last: Jaack

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the week of August 15-22, 2022
(15 - 10:46pm, Aug 15)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogFernando Tatis Jr. offers ridiculous lie as excuse for cheating
(16 - 10:18pm, Aug 15)
Last: Dillon Gee Escape Plan

NewsblogMajor League Baseball's postseason schedule could feature latest calendar date in World Series history
(14 - 9:42pm, Aug 15)
Last: Jose is Absurdly Correct but not Helpful

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - European Leages Return
(39 - 8:29pm, Aug 15)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(4163 - 7:41pm, Aug 15)
Last: 57i66135 is a hard word for me.

NewsblogForecasting The 2022-23 Qualifying Offers: Position Players - MLB Trade Rumors
(12 - 6:31pm, Aug 15)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogTwitter: Wynton Bernard makes the major leagues [video]
(5 - 4:45pm, Aug 15)
Last: ReggieThomasLives

Sox TherapyPredictions of Ridiculousness
(73 - 4:12pm, Aug 15)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Pointless and Wonderful

NewsblogHochman: Ozzie Smith, '82 Cardinals celebrate 40 years since World Series title | Benjamin Hochman | stltoday.com
(6 - 3:40pm, Aug 15)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogJourneyman Wynton Bernard keys Colorado Rockies win after 10 seasons in minors
(3 - 3:29pm, Aug 15)

NewsblogGM Mike Elias: Orioles Will “Significantly Escalate The Payroll” During Offseason
(13 - 3:25pm, Aug 15)

Page rendered in 0.5856 seconds
45 querie(s) executed