Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

OT - 2021 March Madness thread

It seemed as if the dream of a perfect season might end for the Gonzaga men’s basketball team in the West Coast Conference tournament on Tuesday. But Gonzaga found a rhythm in the second half—the Bulldogs were down by 12 points at halftime—to maintain a spotless record by securing an 88-78 win over BYU in the title game.

Gonzaga (26-0) will now enter the NCAA tournament with an opportunity to match college basketball’s last perfect season, achieved by Indiana during the 1975-76 campaign. Per Zags coach Mark Few, the team has embraced the history attached to this moment.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: March 10, 2021 at 08:47 PM | 121 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college basketball, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Voodoo Posted: April 05, 2021 at 04:31 PM (#6011768)
Gonzaga enters the championship matchup tonight as a -4.5 favorite over Baylor.

North Carolina hires Hubert Davis to replace Roy Williams.
   102. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: April 05, 2021 at 11:30 PM (#6011888)
I wonder how many wins the incredibly overrated Zags would achieve in a conference offering actual competition. 18, tops? And that's assuming a nonconference slate consisting of the creampuffs they played all this season.

103. Howie Menckel Posted: April 05, 2021 at 11:40 PM (#6011890)
I wonder how many wins the incredibly overrated Zags would achieve in a conference offering actual competition. 18, tops? And that's assuming a nonconference slate consisting of the creampuffs they played all this season.

I'll be kind - and just suggest that you check Gonzaga's non-conference slate, and then report back to us with Gonzaga's results and where those vanquished opponents were seeded in the tournament.

as the old Odd Couple line goes, "When you ASSUME....."
   104. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:01 AM (#6011895)
I wonder if Quinn Buckner, Kent Benson et al bust out champagne like the 72 Dolphins after undefeated teams go down. Though that could apply to UCLA, SF, etc who also went undefeated though none since '76.
   105. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:02 AM (#6011896)
Funny how Gonzaga was supposed to play Baylor in Indy during regular season back in November.
   106. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:33 AM (#6011904)
Why, yes, Howie, a conference schedule of Pacifics and Portlands -- assuming those are the names of schools and not teen girls doing silly stuff in TikTok, though probably the latter would be about as challenging on the court -- really left the Zags prepped for Final Four-level competition. If your last impressive win was in December if not earlier, you just might be set up to fail.
   107. SoSH U at work Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:46 AM (#6011905)
C'mon gef. You said they'd top out at 18 wins in a power conference, which is just laughably dumb. They went 9-1 against those schools this year, and only two of the wins were by fewer than 10 points.

They played poorly tonight against the other best team in the country. They wouldn't have had an undefeated regular season, but they would have finished first in every other conference with the exception of the Big 12 (possibly).
   108. Howie Menckel Posted: April 06, 2021 at 12:56 AM (#6011907)
and Baylor in the semis faced a team that not only was the first in March Madness history to get to the Final Four without defeating a single "single-digit" tournament seed, in the second round they surrendered their fate to 10th seed Rutgers late in the game (which cooperated by .. tailpipe).

default mode is "Gonzaga can't win because their conference sucks."

reality is they were down double digits in their conference tourney final - not a big deal for them, but they took that game by the throat and won.

they just played the far more talented and dangerous team in the semis.

I thought that might invigorate them - but the first half argued otherwise, obviously. that effort tends to go one of two extreme ways.

Baylor is the deserving champion.

and the idea that Gonzaga is "incredibly overrated" - dude, just cut your losses and move on.
   109. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:05 AM (#6011909)
Are we talking about the Gonzaga that gave Baylor far less of a game than the 2nd-place SEC team (of whom I'm a fan, of course) did? That had to go to OT to win by a buzzer beater against a Pac-37 team that had to win a First Four game to make the tourney as an 11th seed (ludicrous, certainly, but still)?

Hey, maybe all that says Power 5 conference champ to you. So it goes.
   110. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:10 AM (#6011911)
And Howie, of course you're an expert. Don't you have somewhere else to go so you can excrete your fake "both sides" nonsense? Or is this the roundball equivalent?
   111. SoSH U at work Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:19 AM (#6011912)
During the regular season, they beat eventual No. 3 seed Kansas by 12. They beat third-seeded WVa by 6. They beat second-seeded Iowa by 11. They beat fourth-seeded UVa by 23. They beat eighth-seeded Oklahoma by 16. They beat fifth-seeded Creighton by 16. They beat sixth-seeded USC by 19.

You're being an idiot.
   112. Howie Menckel Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:22 AM (#6011913)
so it does not appear to me now that the bile is about basketball at all.

still, not a good look - as noted.

but you do you.

if you wish to call a ceasefire, I will support that.

although that might strike you as the dreaded "both sides."

so I await your response.

Congrats again to champion squad Baylor, and Gonzaga also had a great season.
   113. Voodoo Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:26 AM (#6011914)
Omg, gef go #### yourself. As a Gonzaga fan, tonight was painful,and the fact that we have to put up with dumbshit ####### hot take morons like gef for the rest of eternity (or until next year when we start as preseason #1 again) makes it all the more painful. ####### #######. He knows he's talking out of his ass, but he can't help it.
   114. Voodoo Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:34 AM (#6011915)
Idiots like gef will continue to talk #### about Gonzaga (bUT tHEIr cOnFErEncE!!!), and Gonzaga will continue to be one of the top five or six college basketball programs in the nation throughout the next decade, as they have been in the previous.
   115. Howie Menckel Posted: April 06, 2021 at 01:48 AM (#6011916)
Condolences to Gonzaga fans - and please don't get distracted for another moment by this thread.

it was an incredible season, and their pre-conference schedule was afaik easily the best in history.

turned out that in a pandemic-limited season, it was difficult/impossible for the committee to grasp the quality of the Pac-12.

sports is brutal, ultimately - and moreso now with so many more potential champions.

in spite of my pseudonym, I am Irish to the core.

and we don't mourn the death, more than we celebrate the life.
   116. Voodoo Posted: April 06, 2021 at 02:05 AM (#6011917)
We laid an egg tonight, Howie. You go all season, dominating, and all season you think about being in the final game, and ... Ooof.

But like I said, Gonzaga is one of the five best college basketball programs going right now. Their future remains bright (but they will carry a larger 'can they ever do it?' burden than before,
sadly.)
   117. Howie Menckel Posted: April 06, 2021 at 09:18 AM (#6011932)
Dominating teams that ger pushed to the limit in one game tend to go in either extreme the next - it either invigorates them, or it crushes them. plus a blueprint to success defensively is laid out for the next opponent, if well-coaches. and it was.
   118. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 06, 2021 at 10:07 AM (#6011942)
Given the level of turnover in college BB, what is the likelihood that any 'blueprint to success' will carry over until next season?
   119. KronicFatigue Posted: April 06, 2021 at 11:31 AM (#6011960)
I bailed on the last 10ish minutes of the game, but I feel like everyone is being a little hard on Gonzaga. Baylor hit 6 of 10 threes in the first half, and, if memory serves, two early in the second half. They finished 10-23, which is amazing on its own, but that must include several misses after the game was out of reach. I don't know how much blame goes to Zaga's defense, but from what I saw it just seemed like Baylor shot 3's very very well, and you can't beat a team shooting that well.

When Zaga was making their push late in the 1st and early in the 2nd, their offense was looking great. Getting layups, good looking posts, etc. It's just that they couldn't stop Baylor on D.

Zaga got outplayed, and Baylor deserved to win, but I don't think it was an embarrassing performance by any stretch. Even in the loss, you could see how Zaga was a great team.
   120. Hot Wheeling American Posted: April 06, 2021 at 11:51 AM (#6011964)
Zaga got outplayed, and Baylor deserved to win, but I don't think it was an embarrassing performance by any stretch. Even in the loss, you could see how Zaga was a great team.

Agreed. I don't have any ties to Gonzaga, but was rooting for them and felt bad they couldn't get over the hump yesterday, but Baylor was the 1b to the Zags' 1a all season, and Baylor played a phenomenal game. Couldn't be stopped on D and, when they were, they seemingly always got the ball back on the offensive glass. Big bummer for Gonzaga, but no choking here.
   121. smileyy Posted: April 07, 2021 at 11:59 PM (#6012340)
Necro'ing this thread for some commentary on the Women's tournament:

UConn and Paige Bueckers got exposed vs strong athletic defenders (Didi Richards of Baylor and Aari McDonald of Arizona). I'm not sure how much of the blame lies with Auriemma for not having a strategy to get Paige open looks, or with Bueckers for, well, not getting open. She also passed up a couple of 3's she should have taken against Arizona. I'm sure she'll come back with more experience and hunger next year (not to mention an even more loaded roster).
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(12727 - 3:41pm, Apr 18)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogMinnesota Twins, Timberwolves postpone games in wake of police shooting of Daunte Wright
(251 - 3:31pm, Apr 18)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOMNICHATTER for the weekend of April 17-18, 2021
(48 - 3:10pm, Apr 18)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Spring is in the Air
(147 - 1:27pm, Apr 18)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogWhy the Cubs' awful offense could trigger full rebuild if downward trend continues this summer
(23 - 1:12pm, Apr 18)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogHow Fernando drew thousands of extra fans
(21 - 12:03pm, Apr 18)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)

NewsblogPete Rose to sell picks for baseball, other sports through website
(39 - 11:54am, Apr 18)
Last: Greg Pope

NewsblogMLB salary down 4.8% in 2 years; top 100 earn half
(15 - 11:50pm, Apr 17)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogNBA 2020 Season kick-off thread
(2692 - 11:14pm, Apr 17)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogThe Athletic: Communication failures, poor decisions and messy breakups: How it all went wrong for the Colorado Rockies [$]
(79 - 11:03pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogIn the minors, a major change as the Atlantic League plans to move the mound back a foot
(84 - 10:23pm, Apr 17)
Last: Lowry Seasoning Salt

NewsblogBlindsided Joe Girardi mum on player's sudden decision to take leave from team
(6 - 9:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogCardinals' Yadier Molina becomes first MLB player to catch 2,000 games with one team
(46 - 7:17pm, Apr 17)
Last: Hank Gillette

NewsblogWhite Sox lefty Carlos Rodon throws no-hitter against Cleveland after losing perfect game in ninth inning
(77 - 5:15pm, Apr 17)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogWaiter, there's OMNICHATTER! in my soup!, for April 16, 2021
(40 - 1:58pm, Apr 17)
Last: salvomania

Page rendered in 0.3063 seconds
48 querie(s) executed