Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, October 01, 2021

OT - 2021 NFL thread

Quarantine procedure back in effect.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: October 01, 2021 at 06:41 PM | 370 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nfl, off-topic, quarantine

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 
   101. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 16, 2022 at 09:52 PM (#6061308)
The upside is you get a chance at a Young-to-Owens four-verticals play instead of heaving it blindly into a mass of humanity. But it's too cute with only 14 seconds. I think the consensus "safe" number for getting lined up is considered 17-ish.

McCarthy confirms the reasoning. Chris Simms says line of demarcation is 18.
   102. Tom Nawrocki Posted: January 16, 2022 at 10:37 PM (#6061312)
This is the third game in his career in which Patrick Mahomes has faced the Steelers. He's thrown 14 touchdown passes in those games.
   103. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 16, 2022 at 10:39 PM (#6061313)
The 49ers ended up putting the game but I think this game showed further proof that Jimmy is not the guy to take him to the promised land. He threw brutal interception at a very inopportune time. The 49ers did not finish drives in the first half when they could have really put the game away. He also failed to connect with wide open receiver. The 49ers benefited from a lot of penalties and that unexcusable decision by the Cowboys on the final play.

It is not to say that he is a bad quarterback but he just is not a good enough QB for the 49ers to win a Super Bowl. There's a lot of talent on this team, great running game, All-Pro players in Samuel, Williams, and an All-Pro calibre tight end in Kittle. They have Aiyuk who is a first round talent who is playing well and I like Jennings as a third receiver. He is set up for success and he has won a lot of games. It'd be wrong to say he has been bad just not good enough to win a Super Bowl in my opinion.
   104. Howie Menckel Posted: January 16, 2022 at 11:28 PM (#6061316)
It is not to say that he is a bad quarterback but he just is not a good enough QB for the 49ers to win a Super Bowl.

he was good enough for the 49ers to start the fourth quarter against the Chiefs just a couple of years ago in the Super Bowl with a 10-point lead.

admittedly, he had no interceptions or tackles on defense in that final quarter.
but last I checked, this was a team game.
   105. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 16, 2022 at 11:55 PM (#6061318)
he was good enough for the 49ers to start the fourth quarter against the Chiefs just a couple of years ago in the Super Bowl with a 10-point lead.

In that game, the 49ers had a chance to put some points on the board. Rather than go for it and try to extend their lead, Shanahan sat on the ball. He didn't trust him to lead a drive like that and I think it ended up costing them in that game. The defense isn't going to hold QBs like Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes forever.

Shanahan knows him best, and he's good enough to win games with. The Niners have had success but I think if you are going to win a Super Bowl, your QB is going to have to be great at least once or twice in the playoffs. I don't trust him to be that good. But there's a reason why Lance was drafted.
   106. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2022 at 06:23 AM (#6061321)
Narratives are fun. It would be rather easy to say Shanahan is the reason the 49ers will never win the big game.

It's not really JimmyG's fault that Shanahan won't go for it on 4th and 1.
   107. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 17, 2022 at 08:17 AM (#6061323)

It's not really JimmyG's fault that Shanahan won't go for it on 4th and 1.

He doesn't go for it all the time and I agree that he should have gone for it in the first half rather than settle for the FG. He did go for for it late in the 4th quarter but the 49ers got penalized.
   108. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2022 at 08:39 AM (#6061324)
   109. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:21 AM (#6061325)
They also should have gone for it on 4th and 1 earlier in the 4th quarter, with 3+ minutes left near midfield (a different play from the sneak at the end, where they actually went for it but had the penalty call). That was supposedly a terrible error according to the models.
   110. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:27 AM (#6061326)
Dallas had 14 penalties, and a lot of them were silly and very consequential, but fully deserved. 49ers had quite a few of their own.
   111. JL72 Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:59 AM (#6061329)
The upside is you get a chance at a Young-to-Owens four-verticals play instead of heaving it blindly into a mass of humanity. But it's too cute with only 14 seconds.

I wonder if this play would have worked had Dak slid sooner. By trying to get every last yard, he used up too much time. Not sure it would have changed things, but sliding after 10 yards or so might have made the difference.
   112. KronicFatigue Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:01 AM (#6061330)
I came to this thread to read about the bad decision to run the ball up the middle to end the game, but I'm seeing there were other dumb plays in the game. Can someone recap them, please? It sounds like maybe there was a roughing the punter while up big in the 4th? Thanks in advance!
   113. JL72 Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:07 AM (#6061333)
There were 23 total penalties, 14 for Dallas and 9 for SF. So yes, lots of stupid plays to discuss.
   114. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:10 AM (#6061334)
Stolen from football outsiders. I doubt this is a definitive list, and it only covers a portion of the game. Some of these were a lot worse than others, but you get the gist:

DAL No. 1: Down 16-7 and needing points after failing to score at the end of the first half, the Cowboys commit consecutive false starts from third-and-4 and have to punt.

SF No. 1: The 49ers then rough the punter.

DAL No. 2: The Cowboys then fail to do anything with the subsequent possession.

DAL No. 3: After the 49ers are flagged for holding ("normal" penalties are excluded from this analysis, as I try to concentrate on unforced mistakes) to help set up second-and-10 backed up, Micah Parsons, while lined up by the center, jumps into the neutral zone. The 49ers convert the ensuing third-and-5.

SF No. 2: Facing third-and-1 at his own 34, Kyle Shanahan throws the ball and then punts, eschewing his effective running game.

DAL No. 4: Cedrick Wilson shoves a 49ers defender in the back, turning second-and-2 into first-and-20.

DAL No. 5: Cedrick Wilson turns the wrong way on the ensuing second-and-28, and Dak Prescott's pass is intercepted.

DAL No. 6: After the Cowboys give up a touchdown to go down 23-7, Mike McCarthy punts on the ensuing fourth-and-2.

DAL No. 7: On second-and-20, the Cowboys snap the ball before CeeDee Lamb gets out to his wide receiver position, resulting in second-and-25 instead of third-and-2

SF No. 3: Not thinking the Cowboys would run a fake punt on fourth-and-5 in the fourth quarter down 16.

DAL No. 8: "We don't think the officials will respect procedure" No. 1: burning clock in the fourth quarter down 16 mucking around with punt personnel on the field after converting a fake punt, resulting in a delay of game when those annoying rules allowing the 49ers to match personnel mean the Cowboys can't get a snap off. The series ends with a field goal attempt.

SF No. 4: Jimmy G throws a horrible interception on second-and-10, with the Cowboys starting at the San Francisco 28 after the interception return.

SF No. 4-a: George Kittle on a short pass from Jimmy G fumbles, setting the Cowboys up with great field position for a go-ahead score. Averted by his failure to catch the ball.

DAL No. 9: Neville Gallimore hands to the face eliminates a third-and-12 conversion (averted by non-call: possible pass interference on Trevon Diggs on that play).

SF No. 5: On fourth-and-1 at midfield, the 49ers get to the line with about seven seconds left and try to hut-hut before taking a delay of game penalty.

DAL No. 10: On second-and-11 right before the two-minute warning, Lamb drops Dak Prescott's pass.

DAL No. 11: On the ensuing fourth-and-11, trying to adjust to Prescott's pass, Wilson falls down and then has the ball literally almost go through his hands.

DAL No. 12: Randy Gregory is flagged for defensive holding on a run for nothing on second-and-9, giving the 49ers a first down and letting them run more clock even if the Cowboys get a stop.

SF No. 6: On fourth-and-1 it appeared they converted to seal the game, the 49ers are called for false start, leading them to punt.

SF No. 7: With the Cowboys needing to go 80 yards in 32 seconds with no timeouts, the 49ers let the Cowboys run a couple of short sideline patterns, allowing them into reasonable Hail Mary range.

DAL No. 13: "We don't think the officials will respect procedure" No. 2: the quarterback draw.

DAL No. 14: Spiking on the last play of the game. If you run the quarterback draw out of a timeout, you absolutely must be ready to run another play. You can't know that you have three seconds when you run the draw with 14 seconds left; you must be prepared to not spike.
   115. SoSH U at work Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM (#6061335)
No. 1: burning clock in the fourth quarter down 16 mucking around with punt personnel on the field after converting a fake punt, resulting in a delay of game when those annoying rules allowing the 49ers to match personnel mean the Cowboys can't get a snap off. The series ends with a field goal attempt.

That was bizarre (though I don't have a problem with the matching personnel rule).
   116. KronicFatigue Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:31 AM (#6061337)
Whoa, thanks AuntBea. I did not expect such a detailed response. I haven't been to FO in years, but if they keep a list of dumb plays, I'll have to check it out
   117. JJ1986 Posted: January 17, 2022 at 11:11 AM (#6061340)
Mike McCarthy may be bad at his job.
   118. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 17, 2022 at 12:02 PM (#6061347)
SF No. 4-a: George Kittle on a short pass from Jimmy G fumbles, setting the Cowboys up with great field position for a go-ahead score. Averted by his failure to catch the ball

That's not far to Kittle, he didn't catch the ball because Jimmy didn't throw a good enough pass with a guy that was open.
   119. Tony S Posted: January 17, 2022 at 12:20 PM (#6061354)
Teams have won superbowls with worse quarterbacks than Jimmy G. The Ravens, twice. The Giants won one with Hostetler. The Raiders won two with Plunkett.

Of course you'd rather have a championship quality quarterback, but it's not as critical to a title as, say, having a top-five player on an NBA team.
   120. they sit at the same 57i66135 and eat sometimes Posted: January 17, 2022 at 12:27 PM (#6061357)
The dildo toss has become an annual tradition in Buffalo, dating back to 2016. The initial dildo tosser claims there wasn’t much logic behind it—he had bought the dildo for a Saturday-night costume party, and decided the next morning that it belonged with the Patriots. He’s been banned from the stadium, but that hasn’t prevented others from following in his footsteps. The Flying of the Phalluses now happens every single time the Bills play the Patriots.

DAL No. 11: On the ensuing fourth-and-11, trying to adjust to Prescott's pass, Wilson falls down and then has the ball literally almost go through his hands.
Christian D'Andrea, 2021 PAC champion @TrainIsland
poor Cedrick Wilson ducked because Dak Prescott may as well have thrown this from the surface of the sun
https://twitter.com/TrainIsland/status/1482850034966319109
   121. SoSH U at work Posted: January 17, 2022 at 12:27 PM (#6061358)
Teams have won superbowls with worse quarterbacks than Jimmy G. The Ravens, twice. The Giants won one with Hostetler. The Raiders won two with Plunkett.

The Cowboys three times with Aikman.

OK, that's probably an exaggeration, but not by much.
   122. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: January 17, 2022 at 12:30 PM (#6061359)
Of course you'd rather have a championship quality quarterback, but it's not as critical to a title as, say, having a top-five player on an NBA team.

Garoppolo was #5 in QB DVOA this past season. Given that QB is the most important position on the field, you can with reason say he was a top-five player this past year.
   123. JJ1986 Posted: January 17, 2022 at 12:51 PM (#6061360)
Is DVOA for quarterbacks any good? Joe Burrow is 14th.
   124. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: January 17, 2022 at 01:33 PM (#6061364)
DVOA discounts Burrow's season based on high numbers of INT's and sacks taken as well as facing by far the easiest slate of opposing defenses.

FO: Why Joe Burrow's Season May Be Overrated
   125. Howie Menckel Posted: January 17, 2022 at 01:36 PM (#6061365)
he Giants won one with Hostetler.

yes but

Phil Simms was 11-3 as starter and had the NFL's top QB rating when he got hurt with 2 games left. the Giants did go on to win the Super Bowl while Hostetler minded the store.

(comically, after the season Parcells retired and the Giants replaced him with an imbecile named Ray Handley who have Hostetler the starting job. after two seasons, Handley was replaced by the recently-late Dan Reeves, and Hostetler was released.)

the Giants also won two with Eli Manning.

the undefeated Dolphins had Bob Griese, who lit up the field with 8 completions on 11 attempts for 88 yards - 1 TD, 1 INT - in the Super Bowl vs the Redsk....
   126. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 01:38 PM (#6061367)
Are there any QB stats that even attempt to isolate QB performance from offensive line (let alone receivers, play calling by the coordinator, etc.)?

edit: Here's one. Not sure it's any good, at all, but it has Burrow as #2 in performance this year among QBs who reached the post season. Doesn't take into account sacks, which are highly but certainly not fully line dependent, and may not take into account competition. It's also only for passing.
   127. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2022 at 04:04 PM (#6061384)
The fake punt mistake was a mistake a player made and not the team nor defense. The 49ers had the right package in it was simply the guy who covered the receiver who botched it.

It was silly for the Cowboys to then keep their punting team out there to try and draw a timeout. Who the eff cares if the team with a good lead has all their timeouts. It's certainly not worth leaking out time and risking your own timeout to get them to use one.
   128. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2022 at 04:07 PM (#6061385)
I would also say I'm largely fine with the 49ers giving up yardage for time at the end. The cowboys weren't gaining enough yards to put the outcome in jeopardy. It took them 18 seconds to get 39 yards and had only 14 seconds to get 41 more. Once the cowboys got across the 50 yard line they went to protect the sidelines coverage and gave the cowboys the middle of the field. I think that was correct.
   129. Tony S Posted: January 17, 2022 at 04:12 PM (#6061387)
It's certainly not worth leaking out time and risking your own timeout to get them to use one.

They certainly could have later used the time they lost on that silly stunt. Would have come in very handy at the very end.

Boys, you just got gifted a first down! Don't get greedy!

130. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2022 at 04:15 PM (#6061388)
I personally think most teams are really bad at clock management during the game. It's like most of them don't pay attention to the clock until there's like 5 minutes left in the game.
   131. McCoy Posted: January 17, 2022 at 04:26 PM (#6061391)
The eagles time management in the 4th was particularly atrocious
   132. John DiFool2 Posted: January 17, 2022 at 05:11 PM (#6061396)
Stolen from football outsiders.

I haven't been to FO in years, but if they keep a list of dumb plays, I'll have to check it out

Seems like this site has definitely seen better days. I found an error in their playoff odds for the Ravens going into the last week of the regular season: they were still mathematically alive and should have had a ~2-3% chance of making it, but FO gave them a 0.0% chance. [And in fact if they had beat the Steelers they would have been in I believe]
   133. SoSH U at work Posted: January 17, 2022 at 05:21 PM (#6061398)
I haven't been to FO in years, but if they keep a list of dumb plays, I'll have to check it out

The list does highlight a lot of yesterday's mess, but I Dallas' No. 2 shouldn't be on a list of dumb plays.
   134. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: January 17, 2022 at 07:54 PM (#6061410)
126: Serious flaw in that metric. It presupposes that sacks are correlated with o-line play when actually sacks correlated to qb. So by not including sacks in assessment that omits something that is directly tied to qb performance.

O line may be measured on pressure rate. Not sack rate.

135. they sit at the same 57i66135 and eat sometimes Posted: January 17, 2022 at 08:49 PM (#6061414)
The eagles time management in the 4th was particularly atrocious

but aside from that, mrs lincoln...
   136. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:12 PM (#6061415)
It presupposes that sacks are correlated with o-line play when actually sacks correlated to qb.
Pretty sure they correlate to both.
   137. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:31 PM (#6061419)
That's about the dumbest throw you'll ever see.

Negative yards and a pick-six through five possessions.
   138. Tony S Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:32 PM (#6061420)
Ok, something here i must be missing. The Cardinals converted a big gainer that was subsequently fumbled out of bounds. It took the refs a long time to make that call; I presumed they were reviewing it first. Then the Rams challenged, and after another review the play was overturned. So two reviews, two opposing conclusions?
   139. Nasty Nate Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:42 PM (#6061423)
Ok, something here i must be missing. The Cardinals converted a big gainer that was subsequently fumbled out of bounds. It took the refs a long time to make that call; I presumed they were reviewing it first. Then the Rams challenged, and after another review the play was overturned. So two reviews, two opposing conclusions?
I'm confused as well.
   140. Tony S Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:53 PM (#6061424)
The Cardinals are very, very lucky to be only down 21-0. They've been completely overmatched tonight.
   141. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 09:57 PM (#6061425)
I thought the first "review" was just the refs circling up to agree on the initial call, without looking at video or the like. Admittedly I wasn't watching closely, and I had the sound muted.
   142. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:00 PM (#6061426)
It wasn't a score or turnover, so there could've been no review without a challenge. It must've just been an extended conference by the crew to decide what they were calling, followed by a challenge.
   143. JJ1986 Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:00 PM (#6061427)
I was sporadically watching, but it looks like the Rams had a defender or two in the backfield about .5 seconds into every play.
   144. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:19 PM (#6061429)
4 of the 6 playoff games have had at least a 28-point lead. There have only been 2 playoff teams to come from a deficit that larger, ever. Colts over Chiefs 45-44 in 2014 (28 points), and Bills over Oilers 41-38 in 1993 (32 points).

edit: including regular season games too, I think there was only one other comeback of at least 28 points, 49ers over the Saints 38-35 in 1980. It's basically the kiss of death.
   145. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:48 PM (#6061430)
It's a testament to how wedded play-by-play guys are to reflexively saying "the card says" in response to any two-point attempt that Levy broke it out at 28-6, when a moment's thought would confirm that it doesn't accomplish much of anything in that situation. You would still need a fourth touchdown even if you successfully went for two after each of the first three.

But, hey, I guess you can still win the game with three more touchdowns and three more conversions after subsequently giving up a field goal, so maybe Kingsbury had Al and Ziggy telling him how the rest of the game would go.
   146. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:57 PM (#6061431)
y'know. it's currently a scorigami...
   147. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 17, 2022 at 10:57 PM (#6061432)
Jimmy G is 3-1 in the playoffs in his career. He has only thrown for 2 touchdowns against 4 interceptions. He has thrown for fewer than 150 yards per game. His qb rating is 73.3.

He has been mediocre or less than so far in his playoff career.
   148. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 11:12 PM (#6061433)
gah. no scorigami now, unless the Rams pick 6 or something similar.
   149. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 17, 2022 at 11:22 PM (#6061434)
Sadly, the best hope for a scorigami now is the rams busting through on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1 against a goal line defense, and running 30 yards into the end zone. I don't see them kicking a FG on 4th and short, and if they get a first down they will just kneel.

edit: heh, they lost so many yards on 3rd down, what are they going to do now? punt. blah.
   150. John DiFool2 Posted: January 18, 2022 at 01:41 PM (#6061482)
Post got eaten, trying again...

This weekend definitely showed the utter pointlessness of most of these wild card games, as well as why the dregs in question should never have gotten anywhere near the playoffs in any event. 5/6 of the home teams won, 3 in blowouts, where the best WC team in each conference utterly dominated their opponents (i.e. the teams which would have gotten a bye in past seasons), and the only road team to win was arguably the better team anyway.
   151. SoSH U at work Posted: January 18, 2022 at 01:57 PM (#6061485)
Post got eaten, trying again...

No it didn't. It appeared in the Bill James thread.

Obviously the expansion, like all expansions, was a pointless money grab, but I'm not sure this is what to expect. There were some truly bad teams in this year's playoffs (while a few better teams pissed away the chance to make them), worse than what you'd typically see at 5-6-7.

152. McCoy Posted: January 18, 2022 at 02:16 PM (#6061486)
Are you not entertained?!
   153. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 18, 2022 at 02:18 PM (#6061488)
The Bills are only 2 point underdogs on the road to Kansas City, indicating bettors think they are essentially even (at least in this game) without the home field advantage. I wouldn't have guessed that. The spreads in the other games are pretty tight too. Should be a better week of games.
   154. John DiFool2 Posted: January 18, 2022 at 04:17 PM (#6061501)
151: D'oh.

538 concurs:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wild-card-weekend-was-weirder-and-dumber-than-it-had-any-right-to-be/
   155. Tony S Posted: January 18, 2022 at 06:22 PM (#6061508)
That the extra playoff games would be blowouts is not inevitable -- it's just the way it happened to work out this year.

The problem is the usual one -- the devaluation of the regular season. I should have been happy the Ravens went into the final weekend with a chance to get in -- but if you barely qualify for a 14-team tournament, have you really accomplished much of note?
   156. I don't want to talk about Rocco Posted: January 18, 2022 at 06:53 PM (#6061509)
136: sacks are not correlated. You can research online to find the work. Sacks are more associated with quarterback than o line. A qb with pocket awareness can deal with a line that allows pressure Rodgers. P Manning. Etc. The pressures don’t convert into sacks.

Just sharing what every analytics dept for NFL teams knows. Sacks follow qbs.

Related nobody generates more pressure than A Donald but he finished with “only” 12.5 sacks. You can have a Kyler Fackrell getting a 10 sack season with barely more pressure. Pressure rate is how to assess both o line and d line. Sacks have too much noise.
   157. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 18, 2022 at 07:21 PM (#6061512)
They are correlated with O-line play, just MORE correlated with QB play. The question I had originally was how to isolate QB play from O-line play statistically. Chalking all sacks up to QB is probably better than the opposite, but neither is ideal.
   158. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 05:34 PM (#6062022)
I like it when teams aren't shy about going for 2, but why did Tennessee try it there? Oh, there was a half-the-ditance penalty. In that case it was probably worth it.
   159. Tony S Posted: January 22, 2022 at 06:25 PM (#6062027)
If you can't stop Mojo Mixon your D could use some fixin'
   160. Tony S Posted: January 22, 2022 at 06:31 PM (#6062030)
Wonder what the WPA shift was on that pick.
   161. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 06:48 PM (#6062032)
What an idiotic way to waste a time out, trailing late in the third quarter.

3rd and 9 with a 38 yard FG is you get no more yards, 3rd and 14 with a 43 yarder if you tteake the penalty. So Tennessee really only took the timeout to try to get the first fown. Then they throw it underneath for 6 yards and settle for the FG on 4th and 3 anyway.
   162. John DiFool2 Posted: January 22, 2022 at 06:54 PM (#6062033)
Somewhere Franco Harris is chuckling to himself.

[The end zone camera on the famous Immaculate Reception failed to pan down so nobody could tell if it had hit the ground first, just like almost all of these angles on that int]
   163. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 06:59 PM (#6062034)
Seemed hard to overturn the call on then field since it was so close. Of course, in Franco's day if they could use that replay the one we just had would have been a clear incompletion.
   164. Tony S Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:04 PM (#6062036)
That was about as ugly a sack as I've seen, both aesthetically and impactfully.
   165. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:04 PM (#6062037)
Burrow had to get rid of that somehow. Rush came quickly though.
   166. Tony S Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:08 PM (#6062038)
For an undercard game, this one has been quite entertaining.
   167. John DiFool2 Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:16 PM (#6062039)
Burrow is definitely the worst QB I have ever seen in terms of avoiding sacks (both in terms of abysmal scrambling ability and not getting rid of the ball).
   168. Tony S Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:31 PM (#6062040)
Darn, kickers are so good these days.
   169. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:38 PM (#6062041)
Turnovers were even bigger this game than normal. All 4 were very consequential, and one of the main reasons Tennessee lost is they had 3 to Cincy's 1.
   170. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:46 PM (#6062043)
It's not as egregious as in college, but turtling the instant you get into long field goal range is still dumb, and the gods should not have rewarded it.
   171. Miserable, Non-Binary Candy is all we deserve CoB Posted: January 22, 2022 at 07:51 PM (#6062046)
Neither team deserved to win (that was a fugly game), but damn if the Titans didn't deserve to lose for the play calling on their last drive.
Try getting into field goal range *before* running the clock down the next time; enjoy the off season.
   172. Howie Menckel Posted: January 22, 2022 at 08:47 PM (#6062050)
reprised this today - same place, same table, same food and drink orders, same "sweat," same result.
at least I have my midday schedule set for next Sunday.
;)
65. Howie Menckel Posted: January 15, 2022 at 09:10 PM (#6061200)

watched the game with a college buddy of mine - Bengals fan who still dreams of seeing Ken Anderson put into the Hall of Fame.

he went through his age 30s, 40s, and 50s without seeing a playoff win. he was a bit on edge down the stretch
:)
   173. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:07 PM (#6062052)
The 49ers have gone backward on every drive, except for one drive where they gained 0 yards.
   174. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:16 PM (#6062053)
Ugh. At least the Packers have the good excuse of being the favorite and already being ahead, and the 49ers potentially unable to gaina single yard. Still, a punt from 4th and 2 at midfield is lame.
   175. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:20 PM (#6062054)
Took a fantastic catch on a bad throw (or bad route, or something) to get the 49ers first yards.
   176. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:31 PM (#6062055)
Jimmy G! Way to give up 3 sure points, and maybe 7. That was a first down play. WTF.
   177. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:35 PM (#6062056)
The 49ers will have no chance if they continue to combining mostly weak play with horrible mistakes.
   178. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:39 PM (#6062057)
Jones veering toward the middle of the field instead of continuing down the sideline may have kept him from scoring, definitely kept him from getting as many yards as possible, and also cost Green Bay its timeout.

Which loomed pretty large in how the rest of the half played out.
   179. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 09:41 PM (#6062058)
Yeah Green Bay tried their best to keep the 49ers in the game with their own errors there at the end of the half.
   180. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 22, 2022 at 10:24 PM (#6062062)
Jimmy G! Way to give up 3 sure points, and maybe 7. That was a first down play. WTF.

He has played a horrible game. It doesn't help that there were some drops but that interception at the end of the half was brutal, and he has had a few passes that could be pick-6s.
   181. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 22, 2022 at 10:50 PM (#6062065)
The Green Bay kicking game is a very big reason this game is tied up.
   182. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 10:52 PM (#6062066)
Yes, Garoppolo has made some very poor choices forcing the ball, and only really got punished that one time.

If by some miracle the 49ers win this one now, it will be entirely the defense and special teams.
   183. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 22, 2022 at 11:08 PM (#6062068)
Why did they run all that time off the clock? Now they have to kick on 3rd down most likely.

edit: and that's what happened. Could have had one more play to try to get closer.
edit2: no matter though! A miracle it is. That 3rd down and 7 run was huge... not sure how the Packers let them get away with that.
   184. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 22, 2022 at 11:10 PM (#6062069)
Jimmy G is 4-1 in the playoffs with 2 TDs and 5 interceptions. Wow, I don't know how the 49ers won this game. He has as many playoff victories against the Packers as he does touchdown passes.

Is this the last game of Aaron Rodger's Packer career?
   185. Tony S Posted: January 22, 2022 at 11:14 PM (#6062070)
Green Bay just packed it in offensively after that opening drive. The Niners were able to hang around and pull it off with a few fluky plays and Deebo.
   186. Russlan thinks deGrom is da bomb Posted: January 22, 2022 at 11:15 PM (#6062071)
Green Bay just packed it in offensively after that opening drive.

The 49er defense wasn't just twiddling its thumbs.

I think the weather hurt the Packers more than the 49ers.
   187. villageidiom Posted: January 23, 2022 at 03:11 PM (#6062114)
Jimmy G is 4-1 in the playoffs with 2 TDs and 5 interceptions. Wow, I don't know how the 49ers won this game.
The 49ers defense and special teams kept Green Bay to 10 points, and scored 13 points.

Like, much of their offensive success came from the running game, where the designed plays often had the RB run somewhere other than where the lead blocker was headed. So many times that got them a couple yards, or maybe a loss. Occasionally it would work, but most of the time it didn't. Meanwhile, something like Garoppolo's first 3 or 4 passes were simply dropped. Wide open, hit the hands, klunk. Seemed like their first half plan was run for short yardage, dropped pass, sack, punt. Garoppolo mostly did his part for a while, and had nothing to show for it.

Garoppolo at his worst is throwing on the run. Absolutely the worst. Pretty much every throw that was picked off or had a chance to be picked off was while he was on the move, lobbing a ball to someone. If he has to move he might as well scramble for whatever meager yardage he can get, or just toss it into the seats. He should not throw the ball to any in-bounds player. That's a huge hole in his game, and I wouldn't expect it to improve by next weekend.
   188. Tony S Posted: January 23, 2022 at 03:30 PM (#6062120)
That looked more like an argument than a taunt.
   189. JJ1986 Posted: January 23, 2022 at 04:17 PM (#6062124)
Game is not going to go very well for the Bucs if they can't tackle anyone.
   190. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 23, 2022 at 04:30 PM (#6062126)
Looked like a fumble. Too bad.
   191. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 23, 2022 at 05:06 PM (#6062131)
Garoppolo's line from yesterday and Brady's so far from today are very similar.
   192. Tony S Posted: January 23, 2022 at 05:37 PM (#6062135)
This is... entertaining.

Though if you're a Rams fan, that's probably not the word you would use.
   193. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 23, 2022 at 05:38 PM (#6062136)
4 of the last 5 possessions lasted 31 seconds or less. 3 of them resulted in 1st play turnovers.
   194. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 23, 2022 at 05:42 PM (#6062137)
I don't understand the "dead ball" rules in the NFL. They make approximately 0 sense.
   195. SoSH U at work Posted: January 23, 2022 at 05:54 PM (#6062138)

I don't understand the "dead ball" rules in the NFL. They make approximately 0 sense.

I thought that call made sense, but I was surprised that was the rule.

I didn't know kickers were allowed to miss kicks from less than 50 yards short anymore.
   196. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 23, 2022 at 06:02 PM (#6062139)
4.3 yards per pass play (including sacks) for the Brady's.

edit: well, until those 3 plays. What kind of defense are the Rams playing where they can let that happen? Basically that's the only play they can lose on.
   197. stanmvp48 Posted: January 23, 2022 at 06:05 PM (#6062140)
How can you let that happen, commit defensive holding and give them five yards
   198. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: January 23, 2022 at 06:09 PM (#6062141)
He was about to get a first down. That's unbelievable.
   199. Brian White Posted: January 23, 2022 at 06:09 PM (#6062142)
First fumble: Okay that happens.

Second fumble: Err, maybe you should stop fumbling.

Third fumble: No seriously y'all

Fourth fumble: Okay just hand this game to Brady why don't you
   200. Tony S Posted: January 23, 2022 at 06:19 PM (#6062143)
Is there anybody who expected anything but a plunge and a spike?

Sean McVay has probably aged 30 years in 30 minutes.
Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogZach Davies’ estranged wife says MLB pitcher ghosted her for a year
(60 - 2:09pm, May 23)
Last: Lassus

NewsblogJOEY VOTTO IS THE GREATEST REDS PLAYER OF ALL TIME
(20 - 1:53pm, May 23)
Last: Nasty Nate

Newsblog2022 NBA Playoffs thread
(1725 - 1:45pm, May 23)
Last: spivey

NewsblogRoger Angell, Who Wrote About Baseball With Passion, Dies at 101
(54 - 12:51pm, May 23)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogAdley Rutschman, MLB's No. 1 prospect, called up to O's
(29 - 12:40pm, May 23)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogFormer Giants fan-favorite infielder Joe Panik retires from MLB
(16 - 12:05pm, May 23)
Last: jingoist

Sox TherapyOne Step Forward
(19 - 11:57am, May 23)
Last: villageidiom

NewsblogJuan Soto trade rumors: Nationals may be 'motivated' to trade outfielder
(58 - 11:06am, May 23)
Last: bfan

NewsblogYankees, White Sox benches clear after Josh Donaldson calls Tim Anderson 'Jackie' Robinson
(47 - 10:45am, May 23)
Last: Rally

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Crowning Champions and Pro-Rel
(160 - 10:42am, May 23)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogWEEKEND OMNICHATTER for May 20-22, 2022
(120 - 9:59am, May 23)
Last: The Duke

NewsblogSports teams love crypto. What happens when their sponsor strikes out?
(12 - 8:35am, May 23)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogSeattle Mariners sign Justin Upton
(14 - 12:33am, May 23)
Last: bookbook

NewsblogNew York Mets' Max Scherzer out 6-8 weeks with oblique strain
(16 - 12:25pm, May 21)
Last: nick swisher hygiene

NewsblogSports Venues Create Quiet Refuge for Fans with Sensory Needs
(2 - 7:23pm, May 20)
Last: AndrewJ

Page rendered in 0.5469 seconds