Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, February 01, 2020

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (February 2020)

With half a decade in the rearview mirror since Pono’s arrival, however, there may be another, more valuable take on its creator to consider.

Neil Young’s insistence that hardcore music fans would be willing to pay extra for a high-definition digital music experience looks less outmoded in 2020 than it did in 2015, now that Amazon has put an HD-quality up-sell at the center of its multi-tiered music streaming offering. Particularly so because Amazon Music, according to Midia Research, now looks set to overtake Apple Music in global subscriber volume terms this year.

Allow me, then, to lead you toward an alternate retrospective tale; one which vanquishes any suggestion of Neil Young as a myopic fuddy-duddy, scrabbling to deal with the realities of the Spotify age — and instead views him as someone provably ahead of the curve of music-technological trends (albeit not always with the most rip-roaring tech at his disposal).

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 01, 2020 at 03:07 PM | 167 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 18, 2020 at 01:10 PM (#5925116)
Or maybe not, it seems like people don't like the next one in the series as much?

People are very split on it (TLJ). It's common for people to think it's the best of the newest trilogy (an opinion I share), despite a whole segment that probably ought to be excised. Many others hatehatehate it. Part of this discrepancy, imo, is that it calls into question / thumbs its nose at some of the assumptions the series makes (particularly around things like destiny and family lineage) - much of which the most recent entry walks back.
   102. JJ1986 Posted: February 18, 2020 at 01:16 PM (#5925120)
Without any specifics, The Last Jedi feels like it was made by someone who did not like The Force Awakens (and the new movie seems like it was made by someone who didn't like TLJ). They each spend substantial energy undoing parts of the previous film.
   103. Manny Coon Posted: February 18, 2020 at 01:28 PM (#5925133)
I think Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker work better together than they get credit for and the actually compliment other another pretty well, even if there are some thematic differences.
   104. Mike A Posted: February 18, 2020 at 07:44 PM (#5925228)
The Pudding had a pretty nifty article which attempted to scientifically analyze Billboard Top 100 song repetition using the Lempel-Ziv algorithm to 'compress' lyrics. The more the lyrics were able to be compressed, the more repetitive the song.

'Got my Mind (Set On You)' came in as the 3rd most repetitive song of the 80s (80% compression), behind dance stalwarts 'Pump Up The Jam (89%)' and 'Funkytown (85%).' 'Happy' was also high up there (78%), not that anyone couldn't have guessed. 'Jolene,' on the other hand, fell below average (47%), as it's mostly the chorus that is repetitive. Country music as a whole tends to be less lyrically repetitive than pop or rock.

The most repetitive artist was Rihanna, with Frank Sinatra coming in as the least. And yes, according to the article, repetition has increased substantially throughout the decades. So perhaps us old folk have some fodder to explain how music was better in our day. Of course, repetition doesn't necessarily mean bad, there are certainly songs we all like that are repetitive. Ring of Fire, Hello Goodbye, Good Vibrations, Beat It, My Generation, and Every Breath You Take are possibly(?) some examples.
   105. Greg Pope Posted: February 18, 2020 at 08:19 PM (#5925235)
Very cool, Mike. In general the repetitiveness turns me off. I like some Rihanna (Pon de Replay and others) but absolutely can't stand the Yellow Diamonds song and the Hopeless Place song (not sure if those are the titles). I brought up Got my Mind Set on You. But I absolutely love Funkytown, the Pseudoecho version specifically. I also like Tubthumping which is probably up there. But those two songs are basically just repeated chorus. There seems to be enough variety for me within the chorus. Not sure what that means.
   106. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2020 at 08:48 PM (#5925242)
I endorse "I Need Your Lovin" by Don Gardner and Dee Dee Ford. I endorse it, and it receives my endorsement.
   107. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 18, 2020 at 09:45 PM (#5925253)
Takin Care of Business has my support for worst song ever. The repeating TCOB! The singer with 3 shots of novocaine in his mouth. The hooting, the percussion arrangement of assorted metal objects from a garage, I could go on.
   108. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: February 18, 2020 at 10:08 PM (#5925256)
Which was the Star Wars movie that had them using ####### level bombers in space, where there's no ####### gravity? That one's the worst. The Jar Jar movie is 2nd worst.
   109. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: February 18, 2020 at 10:41 PM (#5925262)
"Taking Care of Business" isn't that terrible, it's just sub-middling and the chorus has appeared in way too many ads.

Wikipedia has a list of music that someone, somewhere has called the worst. "We Built this City" gets a mention, but it lists a lot of songs that simply aren't the worst song of all time. ("Sussudio" is not the worst hit that Phil Collins sang.)

My least favorite song of all time is "Old Time Rock and Roll", but it's not the worst.

I think the most valueless pop single that I've ever heard from a band of any note was the clean radio edit version of UTFO's 1991 "If You Don't Wanna Get Pregnant (Suck the Dick)". The regular version of the song is relentlessly joylessly offensive, but not to a level that elevates it in any way. The "clean" version obfuscates some things, and has a chorus that goes, "If you don't wanna get pregnant / you know what to do!" What? What do I do? Condoms? Abstinence? Tubal ligation? Tell me! It's simultaneously offensive and incomprehensible.
   110. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 18, 2020 at 11:22 PM (#5925265)
I was thinking about this topic independent of this thread last weekend when the Bond movie songs were being discussed. My goodness how have I forgotten that A-ha number for The Living Daylights.
   111. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 18, 2020 at 11:36 PM (#5925267)
Seven James Bond songs have reached the Billboard Top Ten. Only one of them has ever hit #1. It's not any of the James Bond songs anyone would expect.
   112. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: February 19, 2020 at 12:09 AM (#5925268)
I won't be the spoiler as that's a story I was listening to when I thought about that terrible A-ha song, which, no, wasn't #1. I think if taking the time period into consideration and overall relevance of the performer at the time, its a reasonable candidate, but I'd agree, not one of the top contenders as a guess. I actually like the song, though lyrically, its pretty freaking stupid like most of the Bond songs.
   113. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 19, 2020 at 12:44 AM (#5925269)
Bingo on the timing and relevance, but that act's #1 Bond song might... might... creep into the #10 slot of the top ten songs in their own discography. But probably not.
   114. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 19, 2020 at 01:57 AM (#5925273)
I guess it speaks to how old I am and when I first got into pop music that I got the Bond song immediately.
   115. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2020 at 06:39 AM (#5925275)
Re: Eilish - Belts, onions, etc.
   116. flournoy Posted: February 19, 2020 at 07:49 AM (#5925276)
Only one of them has ever hit #1. It's not any of the James Bond songs anyone would expect.

Really? I just looked it up, and it was my first guess. It still gets played on the radio today.
   117. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 19, 2020 at 08:48 AM (#5925286)
I presume it's A View To A Kill, given GB's 113 (they had a bunch of other big songs (so not Wings), they are a group (so not Simon, Easton, or Adele)?
   118. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: February 19, 2020 at 08:53 AM (#5925289)
I also just looked up the James Bond answer. If you'd asked me a couple of days ago I would've guessed either that one or one that peaked at #2 or a fairly recent one that peaked at #8. But the suggestion that it wasn't one we'd expect made guess Tina Turner's "GoldenEye", which is a hilariously wrong answer -- it peaked at #2 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100, i.e., the top songs not in the Hot 100. So it made it to #102.
   119. Greg Pope Posted: February 19, 2020 at 08:59 AM (#5925291)
My least favorite song of all time is "Old Time Rock and Roll", but it's not the worst.

Yeah, least favorite doesn't even mean bad. I place a lot more importance on the music than the lyrics in songs that I like. For example, I have no clue what "mirror queen, mannequin, rhythm of love" means, but I like the song. On occasion, though, lyrics make me seriously dislike a song.

"I'll Be There for You" by Bon Jovi is one of them. When I actually paid attention to the lyrics I realized that the guy is being terrible. Here's what he says that he did wrong:

1. Wasn't there when she was happy
2. Wasn't there when she was down
3. Missed her birthday
4. Hands are dirty (did something wrong, but didn't specify what)
5. Wanted to be her Valentine (I assume he missed Valentine's Day or something)

So she's leaving, says true love is suicide, she's swimming towards the shore.

So here's what he says that he'll do:

1. Be the air for her when she breathes
2. Live and die for her
3. Steal the sun from the sky for her
4. Be the water when she gets thirsty
5. Be the wine when she gets drunk

Um... none of those things are even real. I suppose he could really die for her, but that's kind of a one time thing that will probably never come up. But he says all of the concrete things that he did wrong and then says all of the made up things that he can't really do.

So anyway, these lyrics really turned me off to that song, despite the fact that it's actually decent.
   120. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 19, 2020 at 09:09 AM (#5925292)
The suggestion that [the #1 James Bond single] wasn't one we'd expect made me guess Tina Turner's "GoldenEye", which is a hilariously wrong answer -- it peaked at #2 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100, i.e., the top songs not in the Hot 100. So it made it to #102.

It's a smash hit on the Odometer Chart!
   121. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 19, 2020 at 09:11 AM (#5925293)
But he says all of the concrete things that he did wrong and then says all of the made up things that he can't really do.
Um, Greg - words can’t say what love can do. Duh.
   122. Greg Pope Posted: February 19, 2020 at 09:36 AM (#5925301)
Um, Greg - words can’t say what love can do. Duh.

Good point.

While I'm at it, "Wake Me Up Before you Go Go" is a catchy song with a similar problem. The girlfriend goes dancing while the guy sleeps and she's mad. So he says he doesn't want to lose her, etc. Promises to go dancing with her if that's what she wants. Do anything so she doesn't leave him. Then the last thing he does is tell her that they'll stay home in bed and they'll go dancing tomorrow night. She should leave him immediately when he tries to pull that. It's literally exactly what she was mad at.

I didn't really notice these things until I got a little older and saw female friends put up with this kind of stuff a lot.
   123. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2020 at 10:19 AM (#5925308)
I remember "For Your Eyes Only" being pretty damned popular, but will have to check chart position.
   124. Howie Menckel Posted: February 19, 2020 at 10:56 AM (#5925323)
my guess was a No. 2.

well, it wasn't #### actually
   125. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 19, 2020 at 11:12 AM (#5925335)
While I'm at it, "Wake Me Up Before you Go Go" is a catchy song with a similar problem. The girlfriend goes dancing while the guy sleeps and she's mad.
Wait, I thought it was the guy/narrator who was mad, because his girlfriend went out dancing and didn't wake him up before she went-went.
   126. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2020 at 11:25 AM (#5925348)
I remember "For Your Eyes Only" being pretty damned popular, but will have to check chart position.

Made it to #4!
   127. I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape Posted: February 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM (#5925380)
Repetition in pop music isn't always bad
   128. Lassus Posted: February 19, 2020 at 01:09 PM (#5925391)
I'm not clicking, but one of those better be the uncut "Girls on Film" video.
   129. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 19, 2020 at 01:32 PM (#5925394)
I can't hear Girls on Film without also hearing Jerry Minor echo it with "I like potatoes" (from a mixed bag of a show called "Crossballs", a show so popular that I couldn't find the clip I'm alluding to)
   130. vortex of dissipation Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:01 PM (#5925396)
I think Neil Young and Crazy Horse's "T-Bone" deserves a mention. The complete lyrics are "Got mashed potatoes, Ain't got no T-Bone". The song lasts nine minutes and 14 seconds.
   131. I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:06 PM (#5925397)
(from a mixed bag of a show called "Crossballs", a show so popular that I couldn't find the clip I'm alluding to)

That was the Matt Besser faux-Crosstalk show on Comedy Central right? I remember enjoying bits of it, but the 'one of the participants doesn't know this is a goof' shtick doesn't always land.
   132. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:07 PM (#5925398)
The complete lyrics are "Got mashed potatoes, Ain't got no T-Bone". The song lasts nine minutes and 14 seconds.
Ugh. Somebody PLEASE bring that man a damn steak.
   133. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:30 PM (#5925402)
131 - exactly. I wasn't a fan of the show at that time, but I do like a number of the people from the cast and have considered revisiting it.
   134. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:37 PM (#5925406)
Sublime postpunk band Wire somehow came up with an absolute -- & very repetitive -- prototype for hardcore punk at the end of their landmark first album --

1-2-X-U!
Saw you in a mag, kissing a man
Saw you in a mag, kissing a man, yeah!

Smoking a fag, kissing a man
Saw you in a mag, kissing a man, yeah!

I've got you in a corner, I've got you in a corner
I've got you in a corner, I've got you in a corner
I've got you in a cottage, I've got you in a corner
I've got you in a corner, oh, no-no-no!
1-2-X-U!
   135. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:50 PM (#5925410)
The lyrics to Daft Punk's classic "Around the World" of course consist entirely of the title phrase. Wikipedia tells us that it's repeated 144 times in the album version (a gross of lyric!), 80 times in the radio edit. That's probably somewhere around the maximum possible repetition for a pop song that's actually good. That level of repetition probably requires the robot voice to be palatable.
   136. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: February 19, 2020 at 02:51 PM (#5925411)
i'm wary of repetitiveness metrics as a metric here - particularly given that some of those who'd employ them would then ignore modern tracks with less compression (similarly, things like this that look at vocabularies).
--
i like that daft punk song as well. then again, i'm fine with stuck on you (and love funkytown), so what do i know?
   137. flournoy Posted: February 19, 2020 at 03:01 PM (#5925415)
repetitiveness metrics as a metric

Well put.
   138. jmurph Posted: February 19, 2020 at 03:25 PM (#5925418)
The lyrics to Daft Punk's classic "Around the World"

Yeah I was also thinking of the Daft Punk song with the guy from Animal Collective on vocals, which repeats variations of "If you're doing it right, everybody will be dancing" for most of the song. It's great.
   139. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: February 19, 2020 at 03:59 PM (#5925427)
Da da da.
   140. mathesond Posted: February 19, 2020 at 04:30 PM (#5925440)
Well, as long as we're highlighting repetitive songs.
   141. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 19, 2020 at 08:50 PM (#5925475)
I'd like to meet the lyricist for the Silver Convention who got half the publishing rights to a #1 song AND a #2 song, and shake his hand. Two smash hits, a total of twelve words.

His work, in full:

Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
That's right!
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
Boogieeee!
Boogieeee!
That's right!
Boogieeee!
Boogieeee!
That's right!
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
That's right!
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
That's right!
Boogieeee!
Boogieeee!
That's right!
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
That's right!
Boogieeee!
Boogieeee!
That's right!
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie
Get up and boogie

Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky
Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky
Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky
Fly, robin fly
Up, up to the sky
   142. PreservedFish Posted: February 20, 2020 at 12:25 AM (#5925491)
Repetitiveness - lyrical or musical - doesn't bother me in the slightest. I find the idea that it can be a kind of diagnostic for artlessness to be completely wrongheaded.
   143. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2020 at 01:38 AM (#5925494)
Oh yeah, I'm totally and non-ironically Team Surfin' Bird 4 Life.
   144. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 08:21 AM (#5925508)
I went to look up the repetitive lyrics of my intro to one of my all-time bands, Madness, and the song that came up - to my actual shock - was some Crosby, Still, & Nash bullshit.

This post is dedicated to Steve Treder.
   145. Omineca Greg Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM (#5925567)
C'mon, Lassus!

Any song about slipping Joni Mitchell the big pony, is not "bullshit".

Although, that one comes as close as possible.

The song that Joni wrote about the relationship, "River" is what? Ten thousand times better?
   146. Lassus Posted: February 20, 2020 at 02:42 PM (#5925683)
Enough classic rock, more sci-fi:

Brand new Westworld season 3 trailer is out!

I know various people hated it, but I love everything I've seen so far. Looking forward to this one immensely. I hope Aaron Paul is good in it, although he just seems to be speaking like a future Jesse Pinkman.
   147. vortex of dissipation Posted: February 20, 2020 at 03:54 PM (#5925709)
"Simple Man" was Graham Nash's response to Joni breaking up with him, and it's a really affecting, nicely written song about dealing with loss. Yes, "River" is better, but "Simple Man" is still very good.
   148. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: February 20, 2020 at 11:04 PM (#5925773)
   149. vortex of dissipation Posted: February 21, 2020 at 02:50 PM (#5925921)
There's also "Go, Go, Ichiro", by Supersnazz, whose lyrics consist completely of the title phrase. It's also a great song, and seems to be a good one to mention on this site...
   150. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 26, 2020 at 08:21 AM (#5926487)
Just going to write.

Watching "The Act of Killing" tonight. (yes, it's years too late)

But ...

I killed every Chinese person I met ... I stabbed them
I don't remember how many ... but it was dozens.
If I met them ... I stabbed them.
All the way to Asia street, where I met my girlfriend's dad
Remember, my girlfriend was Chinese
'Crush the Chinese' became 'Crush my girlfriend's dad'
So I stabbed him too, because he was Chinese ...
He fell into a ditch. I hit him with a brick. He sank.

This is a happy, friendly conversation in a convertible.

This movie is going to take a while to process ...
   151. PreservedFish Posted: February 26, 2020 at 09:11 AM (#5926489)
That's also been on my list to watch since it was released.
   152. Lassus Posted: February 26, 2020 at 09:48 AM (#5926492)
Hadn't heard of it, now I have. Yeesh.
   153. reech Posted: February 26, 2020 at 10:50 AM (#5926514)
   154. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 26, 2020 at 03:53 PM (#5926601)
That's also been on my list to watch since it was released.

I'm watching it 5 minutes at a time.

Then I take a break.

I'm going to finish it ... but, yeah ... yeesh is right.
   155. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 27, 2020 at 02:00 AM (#5926708)
What kind of illegal businesses is Pancansila Youth involved in?

Gambling
Gambling, night clubs.
Supermarkets
But that's not illegal, they just hire us as security.
Any others?
Smuggling
Illegal fishing, illegal logging, illegal gambling.

That's a member of the Indonesian parliment.
On camera.
Every time I think this movie can't get more insane ... it's like here, hold my beer
   156. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 27, 2020 at 03:29 AM (#5926712)
Spontaneously, I walked over to him ... and cut his head off.

This movie doesn't come at you in waves ... it comes at you in rogue waves.
   157. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 27, 2020 at 06:47 AM (#5926715)
For massacres, I usually wore jeans
   158. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 27, 2020 at 07:54 PM (#5926951)
we shouldn't look brutal, like we want to drink people's blood
But we must exterminate the communists
We must totally wipe them out
But in a more humane way

This ####### movie ...
   159. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 27, 2020 at 08:14 PM (#5926954)
60 seconds after that ...

If they're pretty ... I'd rape them all

What in the ####### ####### #### fuck?
   160. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: February 27, 2020 at 08:52 PM (#5926956)
Or

Especially back then, when we were the law?
#### 'em.
#### the #### out of everyone I meet.
Especially if you get one who's 14 years old.
I'd say it's going to be hell for you,
but heaven for me

Like I said ... this thing comes in rogue waves.
   161. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 01, 2020 at 09:17 PM (#5927418)
This is a nice up-tempo pop rocker by ELFRIEDE from the band's new mini-album "rebirth", due on April 3. Their first album, released last year, was good, but based on just a couple of listens, I like this better than any song on that album.
   162. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: March 05, 2020 at 03:44 AM (#5928254)
Just rewatched Blackthorn ... has anybody here seen it?

2011 movie with Sam Shepard as Butch Cassidy, if he'd survived the shootout at the end of BCATSK and spent 20 years living as a horse rancher in Bolivia
I'd seen it before and remembered it vaguely, but didn't remember it being this good.
Sam Shepard plays Butch and he's *great*
And it's *gorgeous*, I wish I'd seen it in the theater. Some of those landscapes ...
Not recommending as a date night movie though, it's pretty ####### bleak
   163. PreservedFish Posted: March 05, 2020 at 08:26 AM (#5928264)
Amusing article in the Times magazine: research shows that some people are reliable "harbingers of failure." They consistently move to the wrong neighborhoods, buy products that will reliably flop, back political candidates that will lose, etc. "They like that odd house. That political candidate everyone else finds off-putting. They like Watermelon Oreos.”
   164. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 05, 2020 at 10:42 AM (#5928293)
reliable "harbingers of failure."
Someone please take that for a username.
   165. PreservedFish Posted: March 05, 2020 at 11:16 AM (#5928302)
This American Life had a good bit years ago about a contributor with a "negative capacity to identify trends."

There's the time he quit his job at a tech startup in the 80s:

in almost the only moment of decisiveness in my entire adult life-- I've certainly never equaled this-- I went in the next morning, and I quit. And all I could think was like, sayonara, suckers! You know, good luck with your network. And we know exactly what the network was. It was the internet.

And:

Like, when in college I went to see Madonna, at Danceteria, which was a club downtown, like 1982 or whatever. And I thought, boy is she lousy!

And:

When I was an editorial assistant working in publishing, I was handed a manuscript to read. I think I wrote something like "subliterate, borderline misogyny, an easy pass." And somebody thought, I'm just going to take a look at this anyway. It was Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.
   166. PreservedFish Posted: March 05, 2020 at 11:26 AM (#5928304)
In the late 90s those Manhattan Portage messenger bags exploded in popularity and I decided that I wanted a similar bag, but made of corduroy. I don't know where I got it in my head that this was important, but I searched far and wide, and could find none. I talked about this nonexistent corduroy messenger bag quite a lot with my girlfriend, as I was always ducking into stores, looking for one, and never finding one. At several points I declared that I was ahead of the curve, and that soon corduroy messenger bags would become a notable trend. I wondered aloud if I should make them myself. This pre-dated Etsy, and I'd never sewed a stitch in my life, so that was never a realistic option. At some point I settled for a canvas messenger bag. But a year or two after this began, we met a stylish Spanish girl that had a corduroy messenger bag. Where did she get it? She made it herself! This was the first sign that I was onto something. It was another year or two, but soon I began to see more similar bags appear on the street. At this point my own yen had subsided, but every bag I saw was a confirmation of my own tastemaker status. Eventually some bigger fashion labels released their own versions, like this one. I've never felt so vindicated.

But it was a fluke. I've never reproduced that feat of tastemaking.
   167. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 05, 2020 at 12:37 PM (#5928320)
165 - when i was in college, i went to a conference on black students on predominately white campuses where this guy spoke. i thought for years that it was the "men are from mars" guy and couldn't reconcile the two.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.