Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 01, 2020

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (January 2020)

The 2019-20 TV season has hit the winter midway point, so here’s our annual list of midseason premiere dates for new and returning series. It covers more than 200 broadcast, cable and streaming programs debuting from January 1 through March 31 and includes shows that were on hiatus and some one-off specials such as awards shows.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2020 at 02:54 AM | 243 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 09, 2020 at 12:55 PM (#5914190)
But here in the real world, the film that has most often caused people to go gasp in disbelief is Top Gun. I've never seen Top Gun. I don't know why. I'd be happy to watch it. It's just never come up. Or Titanic. I never saw Titanic, because I never wanted to see Titanic, and in the late 90s people found that nearly impossible to believe. Doesn't come up in conversation much anymore.

Ditto. Have never had the slightest interest in seeing either one, & highly doubt that will change.
   102. I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape Posted: January 09, 2020 at 12:55 PM (#5914191)
Oh dear. The contrast in aging curves between Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards Val Kilmer is going to be...stark, shall we say.
   103. PreservedFish Posted: January 09, 2020 at 12:56 PM (#5914192)
Oh dear. The contrast in aging curves between Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards is going to be...stark, shall we say.

Sounds like they killed him off between films.
   104. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 09, 2020 at 12:59 PM (#5914201)
Oh dear. The contrast in aging curves between Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards Val Kilmer is going to be...stark, shall we say.
I think Kilmer has an excuse.
   105. Lassus Posted: January 09, 2020 at 01:06 PM (#5914208)
I've also never seen Top Gun. Which can't really be a surprise to anyone here, but even so. (I DID see Days of Thunder in the theater, though. Can't recall why.)

I saw Titanic in the theater and thought it was a perfect Hollywood film. I mean that as a compliment.
   106. jmurph Posted: January 09, 2020 at 01:58 PM (#5914242)
This thread (numbers on the year/decade in music sales, streaming, etc.) is, uh, something. Advantage ElRoy.
   107. Greg Pope Posted: January 09, 2020 at 02:56 PM (#5914260)
Sounds like they killed him off between films.

Am I missing a joke or something?
   108. PreservedFish Posted: January 09, 2020 at 03:03 PM (#5914262)
What, does he die in the original? Actually don't say anything, no spoilers please.
   109. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 09, 2020 at 03:03 PM (#5914263)
Advantage ElRoy.
Concession accepted!
   110. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 09, 2020 at 04:06 PM (#5914281)
My wife claims that she was told off in the movie theatre before a showing of Titanic - because she and a friend were discussing the fate of the titular vessel, which was deemed as 'spoilers'. Which reminds me of the mother of a friend, who was unable to sleep all night before the last episode of the BBC Firth/Ehle Pride and Prejudice, concerned that Liz Bennet and Darcy might not end up together.
   111. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 09, 2020 at 04:10 PM (#5914283)
My wife claims that she was told off in the movie theatre before a showing of Titanic - because she and a friend were discussing the fate of the titular vessel, which was deemed as 'spoilers'.
That sounds like something she got from a stand-up comedian.
   112. jmurph Posted: January 09, 2020 at 04:12 PM (#5914284)
A friend of mine was told *what was in the box* in Seven, while standing in line to see said movie, by someone from our school who had seen the previous showing.
   113. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 09, 2020 at 04:40 PM (#5914295)
I haven't seen Titanic either, wasn't a purposeful act, I suppose it is now. Haven't seen any of the Jurassics or Avengers, Iron Man's either. My own unscientific guess is the typical moviegoer goes to the movies the least in their moviegoing life when their children are between the ages of 0-10. (I think I saw Moneyball, Lincoln and one of the Bond films in a theater during that range).
   114. flournoy Posted: January 09, 2020 at 04:51 PM (#5914299)
Actually don't say anything, no spoilers please.

Fine, no spoilers for Top Gun.

A spoiler for Titanic though: the boat sinks.
   115. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 09, 2020 at 05:09 PM (#5914304)
That sounds like something she got from a stand-up comedian.

I have a healthy skepticism about the anecdote, I must admit. I did go to see Apollo 13 as a teenager without a definite idea of how it ended, though, so perhaps I'm not the best-placed to estimate people's familiarity with these stories.
   116. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 09, 2020 at 06:31 PM (#5914329)
Pete Dye died. Diabolical genius. If anybody deserves to be buried under railroad ties, it would be him. If you played his golf courses you would understand. I say this affectionately.
   117. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 09, 2020 at 06:31 PM (#5914330)
I didn't like Top Gun when I saw it 30 years ago, and have no desire to see sequel.

My girlfriend in high school used to shout out "ET dies at the end" when she drove by the movie theatre lines.
   118. flournoy Posted: January 09, 2020 at 07:40 PM (#5914355)
Is 34 years (1986 Top Gun to 2020 Top Gun Maverick) the longest period in between a movie and its sequel? (Or rather, the "next in the series," if not necessarily a sequel?)
   119. Dock Ellis Posted: January 09, 2020 at 08:23 PM (#5914364)
Agreed with Lassus, Titanic is a great big-screen Hollywood flick that looked fantastic in the theater and other than the Celine Dion song, I have trouble understanding the aggressive dismissal and backlash of it from people.

Just to be sure, "ET dies at the end" is a joke, right?

Anyway the Top Gun sequel trailer looks like a gas and while it may not be good, I bet it'll be plenty enjoyable.
   120. flournoy Posted: January 09, 2020 at 08:58 PM (#5914372)
Yeah, I have high hopes for the new Top Gun movie. Should be fun. Out of the 45 minutes of previews that they showed before Rise of Skywalker, it was one of only two movies that even remotely caught my interest. (The other being the new Bond film.)
   121. PreservedFish Posted: January 09, 2020 at 09:03 PM (#5914373)
I have trouble understanding the aggressive dismissal and backlash of it from people.

I don't think I'm aggressively dismissing Titanic. I just don't want to see it.
   122. flournoy Posted: January 09, 2020 at 09:11 PM (#5914374)
My guess is that the backlash towards Titanic stems from the fact that the primary focus of the movie is on a fabricated love story that didn't actually even happen, rather than the true story the movie is based on.

But I don't know. I saw it in theaters and haven't seen it since. I'm not opposed to seeing it again, but I won't make arrangements to do so.
   123. Greg K Posted: January 09, 2020 at 09:14 PM (#5914375)
I aggressively dismissed Titanic at the time it came out, because I was a 14 year old boy who instinctively took the opposite approach to Leonardo DiCaprio as the 14 year old girls I knew.

I've watched it subsequently and it was perfectly cromulent. The "Troy" of ocean liner films.
   124. PreservedFish Posted: January 09, 2020 at 09:38 PM (#5914385)
I aggressively dismissed Titanic at the time it came out, because I was a 14 year old boy

Yeah, to be honest I was probably pretty haughty about it back in the day.
   125. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: January 09, 2020 at 09:55 PM (#5914390)
My guess is that the backlash towards Titanic stems from the fact that the primary focus of the movie is on a fabricated love story that didn't actually even happen, rather than the true story the movie is based on.

That was my reaction, the ship is sinking and Billy Zane is chasing DiCaprio around with a .45.

The special effects looked great though and probably still hold up really well.
   126. Lassus Posted: January 09, 2020 at 11:22 PM (#5914405)
My guess is that the backlash towards Titanic stems from the fact that the primary focus of the movie is on a fabricated love story that didn't actually even happen
That was my reaction, the ship is sinking and Billy Zane is chasing DiCaprio around with a .45.
These strike me as incredibly odd criticisms of a Hollywood blockbuster. Did either of you see another popular historical film, Gone With the Wind?
   127. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: January 09, 2020 at 11:36 PM (#5914407)
(I also haven’t seen Titanic and...)
GWTW is not an enjoyable movie.
   128. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 10, 2020 at 12:31 AM (#5914412)
Swoboda—
The main reason you haven’t heard of “Sunrise” is because in the first year of the Oscars, they gave TWO awards for the best film. “Wings” won for “Outstanding Picture,” and “Sunrise” won for “Best Unique and Artistic Picture.” (Even then they were wracked with guilt over slumming for cash.) When the Oscars had been around long enough to produce lists of past winners, “Wings” got the first spot and “Sunrise” was omitted. Anyway, it’s a simple story told impressionistically that alternates beautiful imagery with prosaic urban imagery. “Sunrise” ranked 5th all-time in the most recent arty Sight & Sound poll.

“Trouble in Paradise” is a sublime Ernst Lubitsch comedy that effortlessly mixes elegant romanticism, low cunning and rueful yet bemused cynicism. Do see it!
   129. flournoy Posted: January 10, 2020 at 01:15 AM (#5914415)
I saw Gone with the Wind when I was in middle school. I remember being almost bored to tears. I'm sure that's a personal failing of mine, but there it is.
   130. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 10, 2020 at 02:19 AM (#5914422)
Is 34 years (1986 Top Gun to 2020 Top Gun Maverick) the longest period in between a movie and its sequel? (Or rather, the "next in the series," if not necessarily a sequel?)

Blade Runner and the 2049 sequel would be a few years more, I think. Stretching the definition further, could Hook be considered a sequel to Disney's Peter Pan? They're not exactly continuous, but . . .
   131. manchestermets Posted: January 10, 2020 at 04:44 AM (#5914423)
What does being a dick gain you in that circumstance?

These people are attempting to defraud you. Time they spend attempting to defraud someone who knows perfectly well that they an attempt is being made to defraud them, and that the attempt will fail, is time they can't spend successfully defrauding someone else.
   132. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 10, 2020 at 05:12 AM (#5914424)
There are reasons people don't like "Gone With the Wind": the racist "oh, how the gentle ways of the South suffered" horseshit; the lengthy lengths of the length; the two unsympathetic characters at the heart of the story.

But there are more and better reasons to appreciate it. It's literally colossal, it's very funny, it's melodramatic in a good way, it delivers on its major set pieces, it has crackling dialogue, it's sweeping but always taut, it's got the casting, it's got the costumes, it's got the camerawork. It regularly subverts the "Southern belle" mythos, the shuffling slave persona, and the Hays Code. As Roger Ebert noted, the movie isn't about the North versus the South, it's about Scarlett O'Hara's vanity vs her lusts. The theme music literally represents "old Hollywood filmmaking." Root for Scarlett or root against Scarlett, it doesn't matter which. Either way, you'll be satisfied.
   133. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: January 10, 2020 at 08:15 AM (#5914433)
63 Up just came out 56 years after Seven Up!, with most of the same "stars". But there have been 7 other sequels in the intervening years. The closest I could come with single sequels is The Color of Money coming out 27 years after The Hustler.

Sunrise is great, a really moving and beautiful movie. Trouble in Paradise is one of the best romantic comedies ever made, and makes me want to go back in time and straighten out Kay Francis just enough to have

A thrift store near me has a row of maybe 20 VHS tapes of Titanic for sale. This is a bit misleading because it came out on two tapes, so it's only maybe 10 copies of the whole movie. If any of you are interested I could make sure they reserve one. When I went to see it in the theater after an evening of drinking we were very disturbed to discover that we'd sobered up before the damn iceberg appeared. Seeing the movie again somewhat recently, I kept thinking things like "King Theoden is captain of the ship! Horatio Hornblower is in charge of a lifeboat!" The movie is like Avatar in that it's a tremendous technical achievement, but because Titanic relied heavily on physical effects and massive sets and props it still looks great today, while Avatar is aging rapidly.

134. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 10, 2020 at 08:33 AM (#5914435)
I watched about 20 minutes of Trouble in Paradise. It is clearly dated and kind of slow. It was still early in the talkie era so some issues there and the pacing is a problem.

Not really loving it.
   135. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 10, 2020 at 08:35 AM (#5914436)
Edit never mind.
   136. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:03 AM (#5914442)
Is 34 years (1986 Top Gun to 2020 Top Gun Maverick) the longest period in between a movie and its sequel?

Not quite as long, but there is a new "Bill & Ted" movie in production.

137. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:13 AM (#5914447)
Ok, so, unpopular opinion:

Marriage Story is terrible. Like, almost unwatchable terrible. Every single one of the characters is obnoxious - even the kid - and the writing swings between pretentious and hackneyed. It’s just 2+ hours of awful people being awful.

Discuss amongst yourselves.
   138. PreservedFish Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:29 AM (#5914453)
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm not surprised to hear that. I like a lot of Baumbach's movies, but he clearly does tend towards that kind of thing - characters that are neurotic (not in a funny way), selfish, exhaustingly self-conscious, stories that are just dramatizations of his own private issues, which itself feels selfish and exhaustingly self-conscious. And ScarJo is one of the most hit & miss actors around.
   139. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:32 AM (#5914456)
Mad Max doesn't reach the record for gap between sequels, but perhaps deserves note for the quality of the return.
   140. Richard Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:38 AM (#5914457)
1917 is worth seeing. It’s particularly strong in the first half.
   141. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:45 AM (#5914458)
When I first saw the title 1917 I dared hope that it focused on the Russian Revolution (it's been, after all, very nearly 40 years since Reds -- a/k/a my favorite movie ever -- came out). Oh, well.
   142. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:46 AM (#5914459)
134. Swoboda is freedom Posted: at 08:33 AM
I watched about 20 minutes of Trouble in Paradise. It is clearly dated and kind of slow. It was still early in the talkie era so some issues there and the pacing is a problem. Not really loving it.

135. Swoboda is freedom Posted: at 08:35 AM
Edit never mind.

The 21st minute of the movie is AWESOME.
   143. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:50 AM (#5914460)
When I first saw the title 1917 I dared hope that it focused on the Russian Revolution (it's been, after all, very nearly 40 years since Reds -- a/k/a my favorite movie ever -- came out). Oh, well.

I was hoping the story was about the U.S. Senate's adoption of the cloture rule.
   144. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 10, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5914464)
I thought 1917 was about Puerto Rican residents getting citizenship. The debate over the Jones–Shafroth Act would have been riveting film drama.
   145. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 10:59 AM (#5914486)
And ScarJo is one of the most hit & miss actors around.
I can't even really comment on her performance because to me it was rendered irrelevant by her character, which was particularly awful amongst the other awful characters. She was like a caricature of "millennial woman with huge first-world grievances and no accountability whatsoever."
   146. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: January 10, 2020 at 11:05 AM (#5914490)
I watched about 20 minutes of Trouble in Paradise. It is clearly dated and kind of slow. It was still early in the talkie era so some issues there and the pacing is a problem.

Not really loving it.

The issue is just that they hadn't figured out how to have background music in films yet, so everything drags compared to what we're used to. I wish archivists would put out some of these movies from the early 30s with new scores, like they do for silent movies.

Likewise "M" has no score so it's really striking when the whistling theme appears, especially nowadays.
   147. reech Posted: January 10, 2020 at 11:22 AM (#5914495)
In other news, apparently David Lee Roth has established a Las Vegas residency- the results are not good-
   148. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM (#5914496)
In other news, apparently David Lee Roth has established a Las Vegas residency
Completely unsurprising.
the results are not good-
Even less surprising.
   149. PreservedFish Posted: January 10, 2020 at 11:27 AM (#5914498)
I'd prefer a hologram.
   150. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 11:29 AM (#5914499)
Can they put hair weaves on holograms these days?
   151. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 10, 2020 at 12:47 PM (#5914548)
The dramatic application of sound in "M" is exceptional, and is absolutely key to its status as a great film.

More remarkably, "M" was made only 2 years after the introduction of sound in German moviemaking. And it was literally director Fritz Lang's first sound film ever.
   152. Omineca Greg Posted: January 10, 2020 at 01:09 PM (#5914556)
About fifteen years ago I was talking to my florist. I mean, he's other people's florist too, but due to my troubled...no, no...not troubled...I meant to say "passionately turbulent"...due to my passionately turbulent marriage I had the opportunity to forge a positive business relationship with him. It was win-win...He sold me flowers, I had a place to sleep.

The thing is, in smaller communities like the Omineca, it's tough to be a freestanding shopfront like a florist. Not enough business to pay the lease. Sure, you could sell flowers out of your basement, but if you want to have a shop (which is probably a good idea for a florist, you don't want all the lovelorn guys who are your best customers stopping buy dropping hints that they need a place to crash) you have to sell more than flowers. You know, you have to branch out. So it wasn't just a flower shop.

It was a Flower Shop/Medieval Weapon Armoury.

He had maces, and shields, and swords, and helmets. And elven leggings and dwarven hammers and orcish morning stars.

And really fresh freesia.

The freshest in the Omineca. I warned him, "If you ever try try to shiv me with some stale freesia, I'm outta here. And I think the Flower Shop/Model Railroad Dispensary would be pretty happy to get my business". So he always treated me right.

Anyway, this guy didn't look like a typical florist, he looked a lot more like a typical medieval weapon dealer. You know, long black hair, black Dio t-shirt, motorcycle boots. A big silver amulet hanging around his neck. And he was really into music, it was his obsession. I told him he should become a Flower Shop/Medieval Weaponry/Free Jazz shop, but no dice. Probably for the best, at that point I would have been signing over my entire paycheque to him.

Here in the Omineca we have the Omineca Concert Hall. Actually it's the Omineca Hockey Arena/Concert Hall, which isn't unusual for Canada, every building with more than about 200 seats is a potential hockey rink. Normally it booked the acts everybody likes; Barenaked Ladies, Shania Twain, Avril, Alanis, April Wine. Especially April Wine. But every once in awhile, they'd book a foreigner. Not Foreigner specifically, but a similar act from across the world who had for some reason fallen on hard times (usually by sucking hard, so I guess it could be Foreigner) and were now willing to denigrate themselves by booking a show in the Omineca.

You guessed it. David Lee Roth was one of those bookings. The mace swinging florist was so happy. He bought his tickets the very first minute they were available to make sure he got good seats, right up front. Our arena seats 6000, so he didn't want to get stuck in the nosebleeds. The time I needed flowers because [REDACTED], he told me how pumped he was. A couple of weeks later when I [REDACTED], and again needed flowers, he was blasting the old VH through the shop's speakers, and some Goth guy who was there for a druid hat or something was giving him the gears for being a "dinosaur loving lame-o".

But then three weeks later, I went in to pick up a double freesa arrangement (after I [REDACTED]) the florist was crushed. I knew something was wrong the moment I opened the door. He had got a phone call that morning...the DLR show had been cancelled. He recited back to me the way the call had gone...

Caller: Hi, this is Ticketmonster. May I please speak to Jamie?

Florist: Speaking.

Caller: Oh, hi. I'm very sorry to inform you that due to poor health, the upcoming David Lee Roth show has been cancelled.

Florist: Oh no! Is he going to be OK?

Caller: Sure, sure. No, he's just too sick to play, he'll be fine. We're just calling everybody who bought tickets about the cancellation, as a courtesy.

Florist: I appreciate that, I really do. But that must be an awful lot of work for you.

Caller: What do you mean?

Florist: Calling all those people personally. It's going to take you forever!

Caller: Hmmmmmm. Not so much.

Florist: How many people do you need to call?

Caller: [pause] Four.

Florist: Four? Four? In all the Omineca, Robson Valley, Cariboo and Williston regions, only four people people bought tickets for David Lee Roth?

Caller: Yeah...that's how it happened.

Florist: So...the thing about Dave's poor health is just a lie, eh? You shouldn't have made me worry like that.

Caller: What were we supposed to say, "He needed to spend more time with his family"?

So, that's the story of the Great Ominecan David Lee Roth concert that never happened.

An event that left almost a dozen people crushed and emotionally crippled for life.

Rock N' roll is a vicious game.
   153. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 01:23 PM (#5914562)
OG, that may be your most outstanding post in a long history of outstanding posts.

We really should all pitch in and publish an Omineca Greg Anthology book.
   154. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: January 10, 2020 at 01:52 PM (#5914581)
In other news, apparently David Lee Roth has established a Las Vegas residency
Completely unsurprising.
the results are not good-
Even less surprising.

Man, I could only watch a few seconds of that. He sounds terrible.
   155. Dock Ellis Posted: January 10, 2020 at 02:11 PM (#5914591)
David Lee Roth was a somewhat anonymous NYC paramedic for awhile about 15 years ago and I think that is cool af.
   156. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 02:22 PM (#5914597)
David Lee Roth was a somewhat anonymous NYC paramedic for awhile about 15 years ago and I think that is cool af.
Agreed. Should have stuck with that.
   157. reech Posted: January 10, 2020 at 02:43 PM (#5914613)
I showed this to my wife and she said we MUST get wasted and catch him in Vegas-
I mean, weed is legal now in Nevada- this could be a greater car crash than Cats is!
   158. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 10, 2020 at 03:08 PM (#5914622)
I showed this to my wife and she said we MUST get wasted and catch him in Vegas-
Keeper.
   159. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 10, 2020 at 04:31 PM (#5914665)
RIP Neil Peart. (brain cancer).
   160. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: January 10, 2020 at 04:33 PM (#5914666)

Damn. Will be starting up 2112 when I get in my car for my drive home (it will not be finished by the time I get home). RIP
   161. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 10, 2020 at 04:44 PM (#5914671)
It says he died on Tuesday. Knowing how private Peart was, that's not surprising this wasn't announced until today. Interesting 'Tom Sawyer' was playing when I picked up my lunch today. I'm going to play 'YYZ' on the ride home.
   162. reech Posted: January 10, 2020 at 05:42 PM (#5914690)
I have been air drumming 2112 for the past 10 minutes
   163. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 11, 2020 at 02:26 AM (#5914741)
Why just the intro?
   164. jmurph Posted: January 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM (#5915552)
Ok, so, unpopular opinion:

Marriage Story is terrible. Like, almost unwatchable terrible. Every single one of the characters is obnoxious - even the kid - and the writing swings between pretentious and hackneyed. It’s just 2+ hours of awful people being awful.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Watched it last night, I think it's great. Easily the best movie of the year for me (note that I'm a 40 year old dad and don't watch enough movies anymore, though I'm attempting to change that this year, thus far successfully).

Also watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend and was... ambivalent. I genuinely am not entirely sure how I feel about it 3+ days later.
   165. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 14, 2020 at 10:54 AM (#5915559)

Explains the Ayn Rand worship, I suppose.
   166. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 14, 2020 at 11:02 AM (#5915567)
Watched it last night, I think it's great. Easily the best movie of the year for me (
Interesting. What did you find so compelling about it?
   167. Howie Menckel Posted: January 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM (#5915615)
I watched "Where'd you Go, Bernadette" on a redeye flight this week.

Cate Blanchett, Billy Crudup, Kristen Wiig, Judy Greer, and Laurence Fishburne are the stars.

It came up about one turn of the handle short on being so preposterous as to be entertaining. so it just sucked.

"first world problems" doesn't begin to describe this one. impossibly wealthy and unhappy couple with a teenage girl, and the couple are just each loathsome in their own way.
   168. jmurph Posted: January 14, 2020 at 12:18 PM (#5915633)
Interesting. What did you find so compelling about it?

Hard to pinpoint exactly, as I think it was a great overall movie. The two main performances are great (and I say this as extremely not a fan of Scarlett Johansson), the script is great, even the score (which I generally don't care about) is great (unsurprisingly, given that it's Randy Newman). There were a ton of just crushingly precise depictions of parenthood and marriage and I found it all really affecting and well executed.
   169. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 14, 2020 at 12:30 PM (#5915639)
So I take it you didn't react negatively to the characters as human beings at all?

There were a ton of just crushingly precise depictions of parenthood and marriage
Yikes. If that's what parenthood, and marriage after parenthood, are...I'll pass, thanks.
   170. jmurph Posted: January 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM (#5915642)
So I take it you didn't react negatively to the characters as human beings at all?

This very rarely impacts my reaction to viewing/reading things.

Yikes. If that's what parenthood, and marriage after parenthood, are...I'll pass, thanks.

Ha. For the record, any parallels that I would draw to my own life would be to my childhood, not to my own marriage/experience as a parent (well, a couple parent things resonated).
   171. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 14, 2020 at 12:51 PM (#5915650)
This very rarely impacts my reaction to viewing/reading things.
I would say it usually only affects me in extreme cases, such as this one (for me anyway). If everyone's just being awful, it's hard to enjoy. I just want things to turn out badly for everyone, and there's no pleasure in that experience.

Another thing that marred it for me was that the script seemed to be written (and directed) more like a play than a movie at a lot of points (and an old-timey play at that), with the attendant exaggerated emoting and, for lack of a better word, screwball-ness. I'm thinking, for example, of the scene at the mom's house in LA, where we first meet the mom and the sister and the guy ends up getting served. None of that rang true for me at all. The mom and sister were annoying screwball caricatures.
   172. jmurph Posted: January 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM (#5915654)
The old timey feel worked for me, but I won't try to talk you off that one, I can see not responding to it.

173. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 14, 2020 at 01:25 PM (#5915669)
I made the mistake of watching (Marriage Story) with my wife (13+ years), she said it was depressing and basically 'why did I watch that?' The performances are good (I like Julie Hagerty a lot, even if her character doesn't make much sense in this, not sure if that's simply Airplane nostalgia or what), though Adam Driver needs to go do some other character type. I do wonder, if the hype and buzz around this movie is influenced by the backstory/plot involving Hollywood/Broadway. The self-important crowd sure thinks a lot of themselves and their industry. It's really not that interesting, and I have to agree with the take by ElRoy Face.
   174. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 14, 2020 at 01:42 PM (#5915673)
Also watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this weekend and was... ambivalent. I genuinely am not entirely sure how I feel about it 3+ days later.

Had the same muted reaction, though the fact that the film stuck in my mind was a sign in its favor. Watched it again on a flight to New Orleans and its merits really clicked into place for me. It's a shaggy dog story, but the dog is a hippie cult murderer. But most Tarantino movies do deliver additional merit upon a second viewing, except perhaps "The Hateful Eight." (I haven't seen that one a second time to find out.)
   175. jmurph Posted: January 14, 2020 at 01:49 PM (#5915675)
Had the same muted reaction, though the fact that the film stuck in my mind was a sign in its favor.

I thought Pitt and Leo were great, I thought Robbie was great (despite not having a lot of lines, she felt like the center of the movie's gravity). There was a lot I liked. The ending grew on me over time but at first I maybe literally rolled my eyes. I don't know. Agree on the rewatching thing, I'll do that once it's available for free somewhere.
   176. PreservedFish Posted: January 14, 2020 at 02:01 PM (#5915678)
I really like Tarantino, but to me it mostly felt like an excuse to get crazy with the 60s fashion and music. More attention was paid to the setting than to the story. Movies like that probably are better on second viewing, because you're no longer much invested in the outcome, and you can wallow in the details.
   177. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 14, 2020 at 02:31 PM (#5915691)
I do wonder, if the hype and buzz around this movie is influenced by the backstory/plot involving Hollywood/Broadway. The self-important crowd sure thinks a lot of themselves and their industry.
That's a very good point.
   178. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: January 14, 2020 at 02:49 PM (#5915698)
I saw Cats over the weekend.

It was everything I could have asked for and more!

Somewhere between "Fiasco" and "Secret Success" on the MYoF scale.

Jennyanydots' cat-in-the-cat sequence was my favorite part!

I tried to watch OUaTiH on a flight ... twice ... and gave up both times.

I imagine I'll get around to trying it again at some point once it is out on streaming.

I liked Star Wars: Billy Dee is Old more than I thought I would. Probably liked it the most of the recent trilogy but then I saw this in the theater (the others only on my TV) and it only me $7.29.

Going to see 1917 tonight, excited about that.

179. chisoxcollector Posted: January 15, 2020 at 10:27 PM (#5916327)
Catching up a bit. Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions for my project. I’ll post a bit more about my final selections as the months roll by.

Count me among those that thinks Titanic is a highly enjoyable big budget Hollywood spectacle kind of film. I actually saw it in theaters 3 times, though my enjoyment of the movie had nothing to do with that. I saw it with a different girl each time (I was 18 lol).

I actually saw it in theaters again when they did the 3D rerelease a few years back. I was the only person in the theater, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’ve been catching up on all of the award bait movies recently. I still have to see Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, and Ford vs Ferrari. Once I see those I can finallly finish my Best of 2019 List.

A few I caught up with in the last week:

Knives Out - So good. I loved everything about this movie. I’m thrilled that Rian Johnson got an Oscar nod for the screenplay.

Joker - I’m one of the few people that didn’t love or hate this. I thought it was okay. Phoenix was amazing, though.

Little Women - Another gem for Greta Gerwig. I can’t stand her as an actress, but she appears to be a hell of a director. She should have gotten a director nom instead of Todd Phillips for Joker.

Uncut Gems - Totally loved this. Adam Sandler gives by far the best performance of his career. I was incredibly tense for the entire runtime, but in a good way.

The Lighthouse - What a bizarre film. I loved the performances, cinematography, and music. I still haven’t wrapped my head around what it all means, other than the obvious Greek mythology aspects.

1917 - I enjoyed the visceral aspects of the film, and the cinematography was amazing. But I felt like something was missing. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but will be disappointed if it wins best picture or director.
   180. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: January 15, 2020 at 10:49 PM (#5916330)
1917 - I enjoyed the visceral aspects of the film, and the cinematography was amazing. But I felt like something was missing.

Billy Zane, obviously ...
   181. chisoxcollector Posted: January 15, 2020 at 11:17 PM (#5916341)
I guess I’ll go ahead and post my 2019 Top Ten now. I’ll post an addendum later if things change after seeing Parasite and a couple others.

First off, let me say that I’m ultimately looking for one of two things when I see a movie. I want to be entertained, and/or I want to feel something, If a movie entertains me, or moves me, it has done it’s job. I don’t watch movies as an intellectual exercise, though if you can make me think while you entertain me, that’s even better.

These are my favorite movies of the year. Not the “best” movies of the year. I make no claims about their objective value. I am not qualified to judge them in that regard, But I’m more qualified than anybody to tell you what I liked.

Favorite Films

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

3. Knives Out

4. Uncut Gems

5. Little Women

6. Marriage Story

7. Under the Silver Lake

8. Toy Story 4

9. Booksmart

10. The Farewell

Honorable Mention: Good Boys, The Irishman, Midsommar

Favorite Performances

1. Adam Driver (Marriage Story)

2. Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

3. Florence Pugh (Midsommar/Little Women)

4. Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

5. Adam Sandler (Uncut Gems)

6. Andrew Garfield (Under the Silver Lake)

7. Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

8. Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story)

9. Saoirse Ronan (Little Women)

10. Taron Egerton (Rocketman)

Honorable Mention: Lupita Nyong’o (Us), Al Pacino (The Irishman), Awkwafina (The Farewell)

Least Favorite Films

1. Serenity

2. Ugly Dolls

3. Dumbo

4. Glass

5. High Flying Bird (such a disappointment)

6. Men in Black International

7. Child’s Play

8. X-Men: Dark Phoenix

9. Godzilla: King of the Monsters

10. Ma

I also want to point out that there were 3 actors that had a particularly great 2019. Scarlett Johansson (Endgame, Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit), Adam Driver (Rise of Skywalker, Marriage Story, The Report), and Florence Pugh (Little Women, Midsommar, Fighting With My Family).
   182. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 16, 2020 at 09:29 AM (#5916388)
I very quickly got through one of my Christmas gifts, "Every Heart a Doorway", a fantasy novella. The premise is essentially Neil Gaiman's Harry Potter - an isolated boarding school for teenagers who are in recovery after return from fantastical dimensions, which are generally aligned along Nonsense/Logic axes. The students in this school are all hoping to return, some more urgently than others, so are effectively addicts in withdrawal.

A fun little read. I thought immediately of the 'Doll's House' section of Gaiman's Sandman series, and also of Lev Grossman's Magicians series. I'm not sure I'll continue to the next book in the sequence as I have other reading goals for the year.
   183. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 16, 2020 at 09:59 AM (#5916409)
Yay! for synchronicity.

Finished watching IT Chapter Two (which I thoroughly enjoyed) via Netflix disc about 90 minutes ago, just before starting to get ready for work. Headed to my bedroom & checked my work email on my phone before showering & getting dressed. The top email, which had arrived about 10 minutes earlier, was from -- of course! -- IT.
   184. PreservedFish Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:11 AM (#5916420)
Netflix disc

They still have discs?
   185. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:30 AM (#5916436)
Aaaaand it was a phishing attempt. In related news, we now know Pennywise uses a Gmail account.
   186. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:31 AM (#5916437)
They still have discs?

When there's something I want to see, chances are about 90% that it's not available via streaming.
   187. Manny Coon Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:31 AM (#5916438)
My dad recently told me he cancelled Netflix because he was tired of dealing with mailing the discs, I told him he was doing it wrong.

There is definitely a better selection with the discs though.
   188. PreservedFish Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:43 AM (#5916454)
When there's something I want to see, chances are about 90% that it's not available via streaming.

Netflix's movie library has certainly dwindled and dwindled. But most of the movies I want to see are available for $3 or $4 from one of the various websites.

I have very fond memories of using early Netflix, although some of those memories are of discs just sitting there unwatched, judging me.
   189. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 16, 2020 at 10:51 AM (#5916457)
But most of the movies I want to see are available for $3 or $4 from one of the various websites.

Outside Netflix, definitely. I'm a cheapskate, though. I average 2 movies a week watched on disc (& approximately the same number via streaming, though I never pay extra beyond what's included with my Amazon Prime, Hulu or of course Netflix memberships), so for the monthly Netflix charge I pay about the same that I would anyway.
   190. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 21, 2020 at 07:00 AM (#5917717)
I went through season 1 of 'Infinity Train' over the last couple of days. Really impressed by the deadpan humour and surrealism, while still working in some relatable stuff about families. Feels a bit like a slightly darker 'Steven Universe', but much more concise. I can imagine younger children being a bit frightened at stages. Great voice cast, too.

'The Witcher' is more of a slog, though an attractively-filmed one. There is something of an impression that they either couldn't get or didn't want Henry Cavill/Geralt to be the focus for the whole show, and I'm not sure that's such a wise choice for the first season of something called 'The Witcher'. Blood and tits are delivered according to required ratios, and some magical stuff happen. I sometimes think that Cavill's performance is the only thing keeping it from a SyFy Channel production.
   191. Lassus Posted: January 21, 2020 at 09:47 AM (#5917748)
Good morning. You are so, so old.

They Might Be Giants defied the major-label curse with Flood
They Might Be Giants’ third album and major-label debut, Flood, which came out 30 years ago this month, still stands as the band’s watershed moment. “In so many ways, when people tell the standard ‘We got signed and it sucked’ stories, we had the opposite experience, and I feel very grateful that it was so positive,” says Flansburgh now. Rather than having to kowtow to its new higher-ups at Elektra, the two-man band leaned even harder into its alternative-in-an-alternative-world musical offerings: one guy with an accordion, another with a guitar, who often used a metronome for percussion and played around with a Casio, whose lyrics preached adages like “No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful” over a deceptively cheery pop background.
Great article for old people.
   192. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 21, 2020 at 11:00 AM (#5917769)
They Might Be Giants could readily be described as twee, no?
   193. Nasty Nate Posted: January 21, 2020 at 11:04 AM (#5917771)
In 1996 I saw a free concert with They Might Be Giants, Morphine, and the Cardigans.
   194. PreservedFish Posted: January 21, 2020 at 11:26 AM (#5917778)
They certainly have elements of twee, but "twee" seems to have a more specific meaning usually. TMBG is just so unrepentantly dorky that it seems like a different thing. The music feels different too. They're certainly quirky, but not syrupy sweet.
   195. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM (#5917779)
In 1996 I saw a free concert with They Might Be Giants, Morphine, and the Cardigans.
Wow. That's a very "only in the '90s" kind of pairing.
   196. Nakagura775 Posted: January 21, 2020 at 01:19 PM (#5917833)
I have not visited this site in several years. Is the Lounge no longer a thing?
   197. manchestermets Posted: January 21, 2020 at 03:54 PM (#5917899)
It is, I believe, but it's now in the forums. The link is at the top of the page underneath the monkey, but there be dragons
   198. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 21, 2020 at 04:02 PM (#5917904)
"1997" by Regal Lily. Now, that's an opening bass line...
   199. Nakagura775 Posted: January 21, 2020 at 05:18 PM (#5917953)
All I see is a lounge archive. Perhaps it is no longer.
   200. RJ in TO Posted: January 21, 2020 at 05:53 PM (#5917964)
It is still around. Some changes were made about a year ago, to make it not visible to new accounts due to problems with spammers trying to use the forums. I think there's some threshold of posts on the main site after which you should be able to access it. Alternately, you could email Jim, and mention your old account name, and see if he can change your account information to allow you to access the lounge again.
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.