Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 01, 2020

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (January 2020)

The 2019-20 TV season has hit the winter midway point, so here’s our annual list of midseason premiere dates for new and returning series. It covers more than 200 broadcast, cable and streaming programs debuting from January 1 through March 31 and includes shows that were on hiatus and some one-off specials such as awards shows.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2020 at 02:54 AM | 243 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. villageidiom Posted: January 21, 2020 at 05:55 PM (#5917965)
I have not visited this site in several years. Is the Lounge no longer a thing?
It's still a thing and still very much active, but new accounts don't automatically get access to it any longer. (I don't know why.)

Your account's join date is last month. When you used to visit the site several years ago what was your old screen name? If you log in through that account you will likely have access.
   202. Nakagura775 Posted: January 21, 2020 at 07:03 PM (#5917995)
If I could recall my old username and password I would have logged in using it. Not a problem.
   203. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: January 21, 2020 at 07:04 PM (#5917998)
“In 1996 I saw a free concert with They Might Be Giants, Morphine, and the Cardigans“
I would have LOVED that bill.
   204. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 21, 2020 at 07:44 PM (#5918015)
In 1996 I saw a free concert with They Might Be Giants, Morphine, and the Cardigans.

I would have liked to have seen that too. I saw They Might Be Giants in a small place in Hoboken once. I had tickets to see Morphine, but Sandman died the week before I was supposed to go.

I had tickets to Nirvana and the show was cancelled because Cobain killed himself, so I am back luck.
   205. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: January 21, 2020 at 07:48 PM (#5918017)
I'd like to suggest a few musicians for you to see...
   206. yo la tengo Posted: January 21, 2020 at 07:48 PM (#5918018)
My guess is that the small club in Hoboken would have been Maxwell's - a great live venue sadly gone now
   207. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: January 21, 2020 at 08:13 PM (#5918023)
You would guess that, ylt.
   208. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 21, 2020 at 08:41 PM (#5918032)
Yes it was Maxwell's.
   209. yo la tengo Posted: January 21, 2020 at 08:53 PM (#5918034)
There is a slight bias toward Maxwell's, I must admit. I was fortunate enough to see the real YLT in their new Hanukkah Home this year.
   210. ckash Posted: January 22, 2020 at 10:48 PM (#5918541)
I saw “The Color Out of Space” tonight. It was decent. Nicolas Cage did his thing so it was certainly not boring.
   211. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 23, 2020 at 06:31 AM (#5918580)
Crossing over into On Topic: The new MLB The Show release is getting trailers and previews. As the last release before the next generation of consoles become available, the chances for major revisions of gameplay and/or presentation are low, but some digging has suggested that real minor league players (including those with no major-league experience) could be included, as well as franchise relocation and rebranding. Unclear whether these are definitely in, but some of the online fan base have been calling for these for a while.
   212. PreservedFish Posted: January 23, 2020 at 07:56 AM (#5918585)
I saw “The Color Out of Space” tonight. It was decent. Nicolas Cage did his thing so it was certainly not boring.

Huh. Did not know they made a new Lovecraft movie. How interesting.
   213. manchestermets Posted: January 23, 2020 at 09:14 AM (#5918604)
Here's a good bit of carpet bowling. We all like carpet bowling, right?
   214. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 26, 2020 at 07:24 PM (#5919421)
I have been waiting for this, well, since I first saw it on DVD: Idi I Smotri

In the United States, Kino Lorber released the film on DVD in 2001. It is currently out-of-print. As of September 2019, the film became available on the streaming service for the Criterion Collection, the Criterion Channel. On December 18, 2019, Janus Films released a trailer for an upcoming 2k-restoration that’s expected to premiere in February of 2020 with a theatrical run and then, possibly, a restored home media release through Criterion. [29] [30] [31]
   215. Dock Ellis Posted: January 26, 2020 at 07:39 PM (#5919425)
Black Lips are one of the best rock-n-roll bands of the last 15 years and they dropped a new record.
   216. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 26, 2020 at 07:46 PM (#5919431)

Nicholas Cage and ... Tommy Chong.

And the fired director of The Island of Doctor Moreau

Yes, please ...
   217. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 27, 2020 at 01:46 AM (#5919477)
Can you tell me where we're headed?
Lincoln County, or armageddon?
Do you know where she's hiding?
I can see that painted wagon,
Smell the tail of the dragon ...
   218. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 27, 2020 at 03:50 AM (#5919478)
A re-watch of Michael Clayton yesterday, a film that feels to have disappeared from existence a bit since it came out - when it was highly-regarded - but that I really enjoyed. Some crackling dialogue and an excuse for Tom Wilkinson to chew some scenery? Sign me up. Also a rewatch of Birdman, which seems to be deeply disliked when mentioned these days, but I continue to feel is a blast. Much more fun than The Revenant, which I saw for the first time recently and, save for the startling cinematography, captured very little of my attention.
   219. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 27, 2020 at 10:54 AM (#5919540)
Much more fun than The Revenant, which I saw for the first time recently and, save for the startling cinematography, captured very little of my attention.
The single least enjoyable movie I have ever endured.
   220. Nasty Nate Posted: January 27, 2020 at 10:59 AM (#5919542)
I watched the short David Lynch thing on Netflix, in which he interrogates a ... talking monkey. It was pretty good.

Is the Twin Peaks revival on Showtime worth watching?
   221. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 27, 2020 at 11:01 AM (#5919545)
The single least enjoyable movie I have ever endured.

Worse than "The Thin Red Line"?
   222. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: January 27, 2020 at 11:12 AM (#5919554)
Worse than "The Thin Red Line"?
Never saw it. I don't do war movies, generally speaking. Not a fan of violence.
   223. jmurph Posted: January 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM (#5919561)
The Thin Red Line is a beautiful movie, visually. Even if it didn't work for you overall, I can't imagine not appreciating that aspect.
   224. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM (#5919585)
Fussell got it right:

From my mother’s sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Short was better ...
   225. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: January 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM (#5919589)
I liked The Revenant, go figure...

If you enjoyed Lynch interviewing a monkey - sure, go watch the return. Otherwise, I could have done without it.
   226. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 27, 2020 at 12:29 PM (#5919591)
TTRL is either too early or too late. It has a very WWI vibe about it:

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs,
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots,
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of gas-shells dropping softly behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!—An ecstasy of fumbling
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time,
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound’ring like a man in fire or lime.—
Dim through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams, you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
   227. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 27, 2020 at 12:33 PM (#5919594)
In all my dreams before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning

Strewth ...
   228. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: January 27, 2020 at 12:52 PM (#5919607)
From my mother’s sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Also the opening for the Controllers' mighty Neutron Bomb.
   229. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 27, 2020 at 01:27 PM (#5919622)
The Thin Red Line is a beautiful movie, visually. Even if it didn't work for you overall, I can't imagine not appreciating that aspect.

Well, sure, but it was tedious beyond belief. Sounds the same as the Revenant. Great cinematography, but nothing else.
   230. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: January 27, 2020 at 02:28 PM (#5919653)
I thought The Thin Red Line was much better. Certainly too slow in parts, and the voice-over didn't really work for me, but I was far more emotionally invested in the events of the movie when there were actual events (particularly the assault on the bunker). Whereas The Revenant seldom engaged me even when people were hacking apart horses or falling in rivers or whatever. I may just not be a DiCaprio fan. However, I did see the former in a cinema, and the latter at home, which probably skews the result. I've seen very few movies in a movie theatre and come away with a 'meh'. Mostly genre movies, oddly.

I also got to see Hans Zimmer in concert where he included a track - I think 'Journey to the Line' - from The Thin Red Line that was just immense. This huge weight pinning us all into our seats with the enormity. Awesome stuff.
   231. The Run Fairy Posted: January 28, 2020 at 07:07 PM (#5920071)

I just saw that today. It had its problems, but Nic Cage being in a Lovecraft movie is worth seeing. Then again, I'd also probably watch a "Nic Cage raises troublesome alpacas" movie without the Lovecraft connection, so...
   232. Rennie's Tenet Posted: January 28, 2020 at 09:07 PM (#5920086)
There is definitely a better selection with the discs though.

I determined about ten years ago to learn about opera. Netflix had everything on disc, really obscure stuff plus multiple versions of the standards. I went back a few years later and tried the streaming service. They had effectively nothing.
   233. Lassus Posted: January 28, 2020 at 09:26 PM (#5920087)
Youngsters laugh at me for buying CDs, but classical music streaming is complete, absolute shit.
   234. Swoboda is freedom Posted: January 30, 2020 at 03:47 PM (#5920584)

Well, sure, but it was tedious beyond belief. Sounds the same as the Revenant. Great cinematography, but nothing else.

You want tedious, see Tree of Life. Makes Thin Red Line seem zippy. I actually thought Thin Red Line was ok. The plot dragged, I got confused as to which character was which, but it wasn't that bad.
   235. Lassus Posted: January 30, 2020 at 04:09 PM (#5920591)
You want tedious, see Tree of Life.

I could not disagree with any criticisms of Tree of Life; but I still found it hypnotic and interesting despite all the things that would normally make me hate films like that.
   236. McCoy Posted: January 30, 2020 at 04:34 PM (#5920601)
Can't let a chance to hate on The Thin Red Line go by. Absolutely dreadful as far a movie going experience goes. That film was part of the worst film watching day of my life. My then GF and I came to a compromise that day and decided we would watch two movies that day and we would each pick out one. I picked out The Thin Red Line and she picked out Jawbreakers. Needless to say we never went to the theater again with each other. By the time Tree of Life came around I was prepared. Watched it at home and FF through virtually all of it.
   237. Baldrick Posted: January 30, 2020 at 10:51 PM (#5920678)
Did you all cover Little Women here already? I've now seen my one movie for 2020, and I want to talk about it.
   238. chisoxcollector Posted: January 30, 2020 at 11:33 PM (#5920684)
I don't think it was really discussed. I did see it, and liked it a lot. It took me a while to come around on the changes Greta Gerwig made to the structure of the story, but overall I think they work.

Florence Pugh is amazing. Timothy Chalamet, Saiorse Ronan, and Laura Dern are all very good as well. Emma Watson was clearly outclassed by everybody else in the cast.
   239. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: January 31, 2020 at 01:21 AM (#5920698)
Is the Twin Peaks revival on Showtime worth watching?

Yes.

Edit: yesssssssssssssssssss
   240. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 31, 2020 at 04:17 AM (#5920704)
@gef ...
East Bay Ray?
Give Me Convenience OR Give Me Death
   241. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: January 31, 2020 at 04:53 AM (#5920706)

Shred through Palm Springs across the golf course
Cops 'round here scratching their heads
Flashing sirens, State patrol…uh oh

They're scuffing up the side of my car
They're shooting out my tires
This ain't no way to go to heaven
Buzzbomb cornered at the 7-11

####!
Damn!
Let go of me ############, I wanna live by my rules!
   242. Baldrick Posted: January 31, 2020 at 08:29 PM (#5920926)
I don't think it was really discussed. I did see it, and liked it a lot. It took me a while to come around on the changes Greta Gerwig made to the structure of the story, but overall I think they work.

I almost entirely loved the choices she made. In a few places, the cuts between 'present' and 'past' were just a little too quick and let me disoriented, but overall it was incredibly effective. There are a lot of connecting themes between the first and second books, but they grew far more intense watching them play out side by side. The two iterations of Beth's sickness being the most extreme version, but there were plenty of others.

I re-read the book before watching the movie and had a massively different experience from when I first read it at 16ish. Back then I loved Jo, hated Amy (she burned Jo's book!!!), found Beth tedious, and Meg only slightly less so. This time around I really liked Amy, found Beth to be the actual heart of the story, really enjoyed Meg's struggles, and found myself kind of bored with Jo. So I was definitely primed to see the movie, which did FAR more with the less generally less-favored March sisters.

The only decision I didn't love was the treatment of Amy and Laurie's romance--and Jo's reconsideration of Laurie. The former developed just a little too fast and felt less believable than in the books. For the latter, I totally get why they made that choice, but I don't think it was a necessary beat to strike. Jo can realize her loneliness without going back on the (very wise) decision to not marry Laurie. So given the combination of those two things I didn't love, I especially didn't love that Jo finds out about the marriage in person. That felt like unnecessary drama, and took away one of my absolute parts of the book: the blending of genuine joy to see Amy and Laurie together with her own increasingly isolation.

I really have no sense of what makes for good acting, so can't offer much there. Bad acting can take me out of a story, but I have no real judgment about what is competent vs. good. Everyone seemed great.
   243. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: February 01, 2020 at 02:39 PM (#5921003)
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.