Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2019)

No summer doldrums this month — not when there’s a Sundance breakout drama, a new Pagan horror movie from the guy who gave you Hereditary and Quentin Tarantino’s valentine to old-school Sixties Tinseltown on the horizon.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 01, 2019 at 03:56 AM | 1020 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›
   101. PreservedFish Posted: July 02, 2019 at 10:08 PM (#5858490)
Want to express my thanks and admiration for SandyRiver's #93, which is one of the most thorough and authoritative off-topic comments in the history of the website, and contains expert knowledge that you really cannot just google. Two of the forests he recommended are well and truly in the middle of nowhere, and it'll likely be years before I get there, but one day it will happen!
   102. Lassus Posted: July 02, 2019 at 11:26 PM (#5858512)
New and updated completely subjective Marvel movie ranking.

Great
1. Captain America: Winter Soldier
2. Avengers: Infinity War
3. Avengers: Endgame
4. The Avengers
5. Black Panther

Very Good
6. Iron Man
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Spider-Man: Far From Home
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming
10. Captain Marvel
11. Guardians of the Galaxy
12. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Good
13. Thor
14. Thor: Ragnarok
15. Captain America: The First Avenger
16. Avengers: Age of Ultron
17. The Incredible Hulk
18. Ant-Man

Decent
19. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
20. Thor: The Dark World

Not Good
21. Iron Man 3
22. Doctor Strange

Bad
23. Iron Man 2
   103. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 03, 2019 at 03:15 AM (#5858529)
I re-watched number 12 above the other week and was surprised by how little I was engaged in it, considering how well the MCU formula normally seems to work on me.

Finished Years and Years last night, a BBC miniseries showing on HBO in the States, I believe. It's gotten a lot of attention as a kind of Children of Men meets V for Vendetta meets 'San Junipero' from Black Mirror, using the rough structure of Our Friends in the North, with Russell T. Davies writing the story of an extended family in the North of England trying to cope with the 2020s and 2030s while the world turns isolationist.

Emma Thompson gets to play a kind of Farage/Trump political maverick - more Katie Hopkins, really - but for my money Jessica Hynes was the standout. I hadn't seen her in much other than Spaced, but she's also got a movie out, and her role increases in importance in the back half of the story. This being a Davies show, there's no shortage of overt political content and a few too many scenes of people explaining the themes to each other. But the whole cast is good, it's nice to see a UK prestige show that doesn't lean completely on London as a location, and the ripped-from-the-headlines plot elements felt plausible enough to me. More fuel to the fire for those who feel the BBC isn't politically neutral, though . . .
   104. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2019 at 08:26 AM (#5858536)
I've caught ads and clips of Years and Years over the last couple of weeks, and it just seems weird and stressful; and not in a way that has engaged me to continue watching. (So, I admit, it's an unlearned opinion.)
   105. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 03, 2019 at 10:01 AM (#5858546)
Definitely a fair assessment. If one were an Anglophile who likes Black Mirror, it might be the good kind of weird and stressful. But otherwise, perhaps not.
   106. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2019 at 11:17 AM (#5858587)
I think the thing with Black Mirror is that no matter how creepy and affecting it is (I've liked it, but it's a little too disquieting for my wife to enjoy - of course, she loves true crime and death), there's a level of anticipatory relief available that you know will arrive shortly with the conclusion and 'lesson', as fucked up as it might be. From my exposure to Years and Years, it just seemed like that would never come, and it would be six hours of stress and unhappiness.

Doing some research, I understand the narrative drive and thrust, and it seems people like it. '

I mean, Kinnear is all-world, so I should probably give it a shot. And I am one of Davies' fans from his Dr. Who years.
   107. PreservedFish Posted: July 03, 2019 at 11:25 AM (#5858589)
Greg Kinnear?
   108. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5858590)
Rory.
   109. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 03, 2019 at 11:33 AM (#5858591)
Films released on July 3:

1954 The High and the Mighty
1956 Somebody Up There Likes Me
1962 Birdman of Alcatraz
1985 Back to the Future
1985 Red Sonja
2007 Transformers
2012 The Amazing Spider-Man
2013 The Lone Ranger
   110. BrianBrianson Posted: July 03, 2019 at 03:07 PM (#5858677)
How can you call Iron Man very good, Ant Man good, and Dr. Strange not good when they're entirely the same movie?
   111. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2019 at 03:29 PM (#5858689)
Not all love stories are Romeo and Juliet, and not all deal-with-the-devil stories are Angel Heart.

Iron Man get a heap of points for being the first and Doctor Strange loses a ton of points for not having enough Ditko.

Ant-Man lost a lot of spots by being a total retread, but my expectations were much, much higher for Doctor Strange.
   112. Srul Itza Posted: July 03, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5858696)
I understand the Marvel formula for slipping humor into the movies, but the slapstick bits with the Cloak of Levitation did not work for me.

I loved Ditko in the comics, but his work really does not translate to movies all that well. I see where they tried it in spots, but it just wasn't made for technicolor.

I enjoyed a lot of the effects in Dr. Strange, but since I did not go to see Inception, it is possible they seemed fresher for me than those who did.

I liked Cumberbatch's take on Dr. Strange and his personality. I liked it even more in the Avengers movies and in Thor, where he is largely dismissive of the "muggles", which is very much the Dr. Strange I liked in much of his run.

And I absolutely loved the "Dormammu, I've come to bargain" scene. And this version of Wong.
   113. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 03, 2019 at 04:05 PM (#5858710)
Rory.

First off, I'd totally name my kid Rory, either sex, but ... there is only one Rory for me.
   114. BrianBrianson Posted: July 03, 2019 at 04:31 PM (#5858715)
I'm in almost total agreement with #112, except I didn't read the comics. Almost all my background knowledge of the MCU comes from the Overpower card game.

Especially the "I've come to bargain" bit. Ending on something very different from a fistfight was an excellent choice (I think all the MCU films pretty much do, except Ragnorok and sort of Ironman.
   115. RJ in TO Posted: July 03, 2019 at 04:44 PM (#5858722)
Films released on July 3:

1954 The High and the Mighty
1956 Somebody Up There Likes Me
1962 Birdman of Alcatraz
1985 Back to the Future
1985 Red Sonja
2007 Transformers
2012 The Amazing Spider-Man
2013 The Lone Ranger

The nicest thing I can say about The Amazing Spider-Man was it was better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

The nicest thing I can say about The Lone Ranger was at least it was only a half hour longer than it needed to be.
   116. Lassus Posted: July 03, 2019 at 06:58 PM (#5858751)
I liked Cumberbatch's take on Dr. Strange and his personality. I liked it even more in the Avengers movies and in Thor, where he is largely dismissive of the "muggles", which is very much the Dr. Strange I liked in much of his run.

Fully agree, and I agree correct this comes out better in later films. I think his origin required a longer gestation, IMO.

I loved Ditko in the comics, but his work really does not translate to movies all that well. I see where they tried it in spots, but it just wasn't made for technicolor.

Maybe. I'm not sure that's what they were going for. But maybe.

117. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 03, 2019 at 08:13 PM (#5858770)
I agree with most everything in 112, except the humor worked for me. I am a sucker for anthropomorphized things though.
   118. PreservedFish Posted: July 03, 2019 at 09:37 PM (#5858815)
To me, as a Marvel outsider, Dr Strange was awful. I knew nothing about the character. I always hate it when a protagonist goes from absolute neophyte to all-powerful chosen one in about 11 minutes. The mythology just felt like mumbo jumbo and pastiche. The entire thing, really, was just a movie-length introduction to the character so that he could be used in later movies. I clicked on it on Netflix one night, looking for distracting popcorny fare, and it didn't really meet those expectations.
   119. BrianBrianson Posted: July 03, 2019 at 10:31 PM (#5858836)
I knew nothing about the character.

He has 8 energy but lousy specials. Frankly, energy based decks are largely crap anyhow.
   120. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 04, 2019 at 04:11 AM (#5858856)
From my exposure to Years and Years, it just seemed like that would never come, and it would be six hours of stress and unhappiness.

My experience was five hours of stress with occasional moments of relief, and then a bit of a rousing finale let down only slightly by an over-long epilogue. Not quite 'Into the West', but could have been punchier. That may be too long for a Black Mirror-esque dystopia to stay its welcome, though. There are a few amusing echoes of the last couple of decades that might only land with Brits during the main plotline. I prefer the slightly tired melancholy of Our Friends in the North, but Years
has more of a 'handing the torch to the next generation' feel in the last act. But it's a lot to wade through for some 'The Doctor Dances'-type wrap-up, particularly given how slow it goes in the final scene.

Re-watching Mozart in the Jungle. A lighter, fluffier time is hard to imagine, and I'm very glad it exists.

And I absolutely loved the "Dormammu, I've come to bargain" scene. And this version of Wong.

I was bored/annoyed by a lot of the movie, but the Dormammu scene catapulted it into above-average MCU for me. Not only is it not a fisticuffs/energy wibblyness finale, but it's one that cuts to the character's themes well (acceptance of repeated failure rather than refusal to countenance it). Not an original structure, of course, but I just didn't see it coming at all. Still wish they'd found a non-Cumberbatch option.
   121. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 04, 2019 at 04:33 AM (#5858858)
Re-watching Mozart in the Jungle. A lighter, fluffier time is hard to imagine, and I'm very glad it exists.

Somehow, this made me want to re-watch Fitzcarraldo, which I've got on DVD somewhere around here, though afterwards, well "lighter, fluffier time" would not be mentioned, but then I found out there's a full (and decent) version of "Mein Leibster Feind" on YouTube, so I'm settling in for some "lighter, fluffier time" with Klaus Kinski and Werner Herzog.

"Mein Leibster Feind", means "my best friend" in German, right?

What could possibly go wrong?
   122. SandyRiver Posted: July 04, 2019 at 09:47 AM (#5858872)
Want to express my thanks and admiration for SandyRiver's #93, which is one of the most thorough and authoritative off-topic comments in the history of the website, and contains expert knowledge that you really cannot just google. Two of the forests he recommended are well and truly in the middle of nowhere, and it'll likely be years before I get there, but one day it will happen!

You are most welcome, and many thanks for the comments, undeserved as they may be. One who, like me, has had the privilege of working in the Maine woods for 40+ years either learns stuff like that or isn't doing one's job. And I really hope you are able to visit the woods of NW Maine - not a wilderness (watch out for the log trucks!) but with some very wild places.
   123. PreservedFish Posted: July 04, 2019 at 10:07 AM (#5858876)
In the last few years we've camped in Baxter and hiked both Katahdin and the Traveler loop. And I've spent a lot of time in the Rangeley area. But I've never really been in the deep deep woods. We did just buy a canoe! When the kids are older we'd like to do a big canoe trip or two, 5+ days.
   124. Greg K Posted: July 04, 2019 at 02:40 PM (#5858917)
First off, I'd totally name my kid Rory, either sex, but ... there is only one Rory for me.

How was that not a Gilmore Girls clip! Or even Rory Calhoun on his hind legs?
   125. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 04, 2019 at 02:57 PM (#5858922)

Gilmore is where you pass through on the 101 and they have the Garlic Festival. No points on that.

The Simpsons reference does get maximum points however; I seriously thought about including something about it in my post (I should have) (like really, they managed to blend The Simpsons and Beauty & the Beast and make the resulting song as memorable for the former as the latter, just a great episode).

However, no other Rory is going to top:

The Hound : I understand that if any more words come pouring out your #### mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every ####### chicken in this room.

Polliver : You lived your life for the king. You gonna die for some chickens?

The Hound : Someone is.

Even though
what the ####'s a Lommy?
does give it a run ...

126. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 04, 2019 at 04:00 PM (#5858936)
MAD Magazine is shutting down after 67 years.

Tom Spurgeon of the long-running Comics Reporter website noted the closure, writing, "MAD is the modern trunk from which all the branches of modern humorous satire reach towards the sky."

Weird Al takes note.
   127. SandyRiver Posted: July 04, 2019 at 05:00 PM (#5858942)
In the last few years we've camped in Baxter and hiked both Katahdin and the Traveler loop. And I've spent a lot of time in the Rangeley area. But I've never really been in the deep deep woods. We did just buy a canoe! When the kids are older we'd like to do a big canoe trip or two, 5+ days.

The Allagash is the most often traveled, though it can require a lot of flatwater paddling on large lakes unless one puts in just above Chase Rips. But then it's more like 2-3 days than 5. The St. John is less traveled, in part because - having few lakes in its watershed - it's flashy and usually has a short season of canoeable water. One should check the flow at Dickey (MEMA site links to the data) because if it's under 3,000 CFS, the upper river gets scratchy. A shorter trip (2-3 days) near Jackman is unique among Maine's canoe routes. For the price of a single mile-long portage (and a much shorter one around a waterfall), canoeists on the Moose River Bow Trip can put in and take out at the same place.
   128. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 04, 2019 at 05:37 PM (#5858956)

I expected Rory waiting 2,000 years for Amy...
   129. Davo Posted: July 04, 2019 at 08:53 PM (#5858986)
   130. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 06:18 AM (#5859034)
Somehow, this made me want to re-watch Fitzcarraldo, which I've got on DVD somewhere around here, though afterwards, well "lighter, fluffier time" would not be mentioned, but then I found out there's a full (and decent) version of "Mein Leibster Feind" on YouTube, so I'm settling in for some "lighter, fluffier time" with Klaus Kinski and Werner Herzog.

What could possibly go wrong?

Uh, yeah.

I'm only 2/3rds the way through, but Herzog just told a story about about a hand on the film who was bitten by a deadly snake on his leg and then cut off the bottom of that leg with a chainsaw to save his life and Kinski became enraged because he was no longer the center of everyone's attention.

The caption on my screen currently reads: "Towards the end of shooting, the Indians offered to kill Kinski for me".

It's everything I wanted.

Part 1

Part 2
   131. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 07:42 AM (#5859036)
After Herzog declined their offer (because, duh, he needed to finish the film), the caption on my screen currently reads: "I at once regretted that I held the Indians back from their purpose".
   132. PreservedFish Posted: July 05, 2019 at 08:31 AM (#5859039)

This film showed on IFC or some other cable channel around the year 1999, and it was the first thing of Herzog's I ever saw, not knowing a thing about the man or his work. A seminal film moment for me: I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was 18 or so.

Soon after I had my own introduction to auteur theory in the form of a hip video rental store that organized its titles not alphabetically, but by director. They had a big Herzog section and I watched a lot. Some of those movies were difficult to watch - actually, all of them were difficult to watch, and some of them were extremely rewarding, and others were not.

Anyway, I love the guy.
   133. jmurph Posted: July 05, 2019 at 09:14 AM (#5859043)
Watched Under the Silver Lake last night, free on Amazon Prime. It's really ####### odd, kind of a stonerish noir thing that is a bit of a mess and has some problems but overall somehow works. I recommend it.
   134. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 09:40 AM (#5859048)
This film showed on IFC or some other cable channel around the year 1999, and it was the first thing of Herzog's I ever saw, not knowing a thing about the man or his work. A seminal film moment for me: I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was 18 or so.

This movie is so ####### quotable ... I'm literally ashamed I hadn't watched it before.

Herzog:

I believe that everything he said
about the jungle was mainly posing.
He declared everything around here
erotic, but he never went near it.
He stayed in a camp for months,
but never set foot in the jungle
Once he penetrated it for about
feet, where a fallen tree lay.
Of course, the photographer
had to go with him...
...taking hundreds of photos of
him tenderly embracing...
...and copulating with this tree.
Poses and paraphernalia were
what mattered to him.

135. Davo Posted: July 05, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5859131)
Letterboxd now lets you sort movies by crew. So. I now know which screenwriters’ movies I’ve seen the most of:

Stephen King, 17
Jean-Luc Godard, 16
Michael Haneke, 13
The Coen Brothers, 11
John Hughes, 12
Woody Allen, 10
Billy Wilder, 10
Werner Herzog, 9

The Wachowskis, 9
Lars von Trier, 9
Steven Zaillian, 9
M Night Shyamalan, 9
Stanley Kubrick, 9
Robert Bresson, 8
Pat Proft, 8
Ben Hecht, 8
Jim Abrahams, 8
   136. Davo Posted: July 05, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5859135)
Those two titans of cinema, Jean-Luc Godard and Stephen King.
   137. The Run Fairy Posted: July 05, 2019 at 05:48 PM (#5859176)
This movie is so ####### quotable ... I'm literally ashamed I hadn't watched it before.

So is Burden of Dreams, made by Les Blank during the shooting of Fitzcaraldo. I won't bother to quote it because the whole thing needs to be watched, but Herzog's rant about the jungle is just incredible stuff. It shows up in at the 2:40 mark of the 6 minute teaser version on youtube. The whole movie is on the Criterion Channel, along with similarly quotable Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe.

138. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 06:19 PM (#5859178)
All around us, the trees here are in misery ... and the birds are in misery, I don't think they sing, they just screech in pain
   139. Davo Posted: July 05, 2019 at 06:55 PM (#5859180)
As you all no doubt saw from my link in 129, I have a lot of Herzog documentaries in my future—I can’t wait!
   140. The Run Fairy Posted: July 05, 2019 at 07:37 PM (#5859189)
As you all no doubt saw from my link in 129, I have a lot of Herzog documentaries in my future—I can’t wait!

Wow, I wish I had a local shop that would sell me a copy of The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, or any of those Cassavetes movies.
   141. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 08:01 PM (#5859192)
Davo, have you seen "Idi i smotri" (Come and See)?
   142. Davo Posted: July 05, 2019 at 08:04 PM (#5859193)
141- Yes. I haven’t seen many Russian films, but I’ve seen that one, just once, but it still haunts me.
   143. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 08:15 PM (#5859194)
141- Yes. I haven’t seen many Russian films, but I’ve seen that one, just once, but it still haunts me.

There's a reason it made this list: Not Again: 24 Great Films Too Painful To Watch Twice

Here's the guys from the "Friendly Fire" podcast trying to grapple with it ...

I mean, doesn't this sound like fun for tonight (from the Wiki)?

In 1943, two Byelorussian boys dig in a sand field looking for abandoned rifles in order to join the Soviet partisan forces. Their village elder warns them not to dig up the weapons as it will arouse the suspicions of the Germans. One of the boys, Flyora, finds an SVT-40 rifle, though the both of them are seen by an Fw 189 flying overhead. The next day, partisans arrive at Flyora's house to conscript him. Flyora becomes a low-rank militiaman and is ordered to perform menial tasks. When the partisans are ready to move on, an old partisan says that he wants to stay behind because his boots are falling apart. The partisan commander, Kosach, orders the old man to swap boots with Flyora and for Flyora to remain behind at the camp. Bitterly disappointed, Flyora walks into the forest weeping and meets Glasha, a young girl working as a nurse in the camp, and the two bond before the camp is suddenly attacked by German paratroopers and dive bombers. Flyora is partially deafened from explosions before the two hide in the forest to avoid the German soldiers. Flyora and Glasha travel to his village, only to find his home deserted and covered in flies. Denying that his family is dead, Flyora believes that they are hiding on a nearby island across a bog. As they run from the village in the direction of the bogland, Glasha glances across her shoulder, seeing a pile of executed villagers' bodies stacked behind a house, but does not alert Flyora. The two become hysterical after wading through the bog, where Glasha then screams at Flyora that his family are actually dead in the village. They are soon met by Roubej, a partisan fighter, who takes them to a large group of villagers who have fled the Germans. Flyora sees the village elder, badly burnt by the Germans, who tells him that he witnessed his family's execution and that he should not have dug up the rifles. Flyora accepts that his family is dead and blames himself for the tragedy.

144. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 08:34 PM (#5859196)
Here's a YouTube link, make the popcorn and invite the kids!

But, yeah, that bog scene, I've never felt so claustrophobic in my life; nothing but clear blue sky above and I wanted to crawl out of my skin.

145. Omineca Greg Posted: July 05, 2019 at 09:01 PM (#5859201)
It is a profound film. If you choose not to watch it, you are doing yourself a grave disservice.
   146. PreservedFish Posted: July 05, 2019 at 09:39 PM (#5859215)
I've never seen it. Is that a pun?
   147. Omineca Greg Posted: July 05, 2019 at 09:45 PM (#5859218)
Is that a pun?

No. I just don't want to write very much about it.

It speaks for itself.
   148. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5859221)
Klimov did not make any more films after Come and See, leading some critics to speculate as to why. In 2001, Klimov said, "I lost interest in making films...Everything that was possible I felt I had already done."

#145 As a mic drop? Come and See is pretty epic ...
   149. Omineca Greg Posted: July 05, 2019 at 10:02 PM (#5859223)
It is a film I take very seriously. And I don't think people are going to rush out to view it, despite the link to it. It's a hard thing to watch. But it's a take on conflict, and good and evil, and what it means to be a human being...and I know a lot of stories are about those things. But this is different; the content is different, the way the story is told is different. I think people are much more comfortable consuming art that is more conforming to their expectations, and to what their sense of entertainment is. There is absolutely no entertainment in this film. You will not be entertained, I'll promise anybody that.
   150. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 10:29 PM (#5859234)
Fun facts time!

The film was shot in chronological order over a period of nine months. Aleksey Kravchenko said that he underwent "the most debilitating fatigue and hunger. I kept a most severe diet, and after the filming was over I returned to school not only thin, but grey-haired."[18] To prepare the 13-year-old Kravchenko for the role, Klimov called a hypnotist. "I realized I had to inject him with content which he did not possess, Mr. Klimov said. This is an age when a boy does not know what true hatred is, what true love is. In the end, Mr. Kravchenko was able to concentrate so intensely that it seemed as if he had hypnotized himself for the role."[19] The 2006 UK DVD sleeve stated that the guns in the film were often loaded with live ammunition as opposed to blanks, for realism.

Aleksey Kravchenko mentioned in interviews that bullets sometimes passed just 4 inches (10 centimeters) above his head (such as in the cow scene).[22]
   151. PreservedFish Posted: July 05, 2019 at 10:34 PM (#5859239)
Well, I'm intrigued.
   152. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 05, 2019 at 10:47 PM (#5859248)
Just remember PF, as was stated in #149, (to paraphrase) just remember what Willard said in Apocalypse Now ...
Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I never wanted another.
   153. Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew Posted: July 06, 2019 at 04:31 PM (#5859431)
The Cramps were around from the mid 70's until Lux's death a few years ago. His death was unexpected. If he survived the operation he was having, it's likely they'd still be recording and touring today. I'd say they sold a lot more records than Sleater-Kinney.

On another note, my Pandora "Black Lips" station introduced me the The Allah-Ahs and Thee Oh Sees....I should have heard of them before this.
   154. chisoxcollector Posted: July 06, 2019 at 05:42 PM (#5859446)
It took longer than expected, but I finally finished June’s subject for my Blindspotting project. Dustin Hoffman!

This was the second best batch of films yet, topped only by May’s Gene Hackman films. Ranked in order from best to... least best (didn’t want to say worst because they’re all good).

1. Kramer vs. Kramer (I long for the days when something like this could be box office champ in a given year)
2. Marathon Man (I had no idea what was going on for the majority of the film and loved it)
3. Midnight Cowboy (Jon Voigt is one of my least favorite actors, but he is very good here)
4. Straw Dogs (Wasn’t nearly as violent as I expected)
5. Papillon (If it was a little more focused, and if McQueen had more acting chops, this would be higher)

At the midway point, here are the 7 actors I’ve tackled so far, ranked by the quality of the five films I watched for each actor.

1. Gene Hackman (Mississippi Burning, No Way Out, The Conversation, Night Moves, French Connection II)
2. Dustin Hoffman
3. Harrison Ford (Witness, Presumed Innocent, Frantic, Regarding Henry, Mosquito Coast)
4. Robert De Niro (King of Comedy, A Bronx Tale, Awakenings, Once Upon a Time in America, Mean Streets)
5. Kurt Russell (Silkwood, Backdraft, Dark Blue, Unlawful Entry, Used Cars)
6. Al Pacino (Scarecrow, And Justice For All, Sea of Love, Cruising, Scent of a Woman)
7. Tom Cruise (Far and Away, The Firm, The Color of Money, Valkyrie, The Outsiders)

Robert Redford is up for July.

155. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 06, 2019 at 06:07 PM (#5859453)
I forget the criteria here, is just 5 rando flicks you haven't seen for a particular actor?
   156. Lassus Posted: July 06, 2019 at 06:09 PM (#5859455)
Well, I'm intrigued.

I kind of am. But also kind of not.
   157. Lassus Posted: July 06, 2019 at 06:10 PM (#5859456)
Books I have just purged from my library:

Martin Dressler, by Steven Millhauser
The Silver Swan, by Benjamin Black
Native Speaker, by Chang-Rae Lee
The City of Marvels, by Eduardo Mendoza
The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga
Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe
The Golden Bowl, by Henry James
The Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James
A Fraction of the Whole, by Steve Toltz
The Orchid Thief, by Susan Orlean
Ahab's Wife, by Sena Jeter Naslund
Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides
The D Case, by Dickens, Carlo Fruttero, and Franco Lucentini
The Plague of Doves, by Louise Erdrich
Wieland, by Charles Brockden Brown
The Lady Killer, by Rod Gray
Murtder Trail, by Maxwell Grant
Portnoy's Complaint, by Philip Roth
The Ghost Write, by Philip Roth
Narcissus & Goldmund, by Hermann Hesse
The Journey to the East, by Hermann Hesse
Demian, by Hermann Hesse
Booty Nomad, by Scott Mebus

I have not read any of these books, except "City of Marvels", which I remember not liking.
   158. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 06, 2019 at 06:26 PM (#5859460)
3. Midnight Cowboy (Jon Voigt is one of my least favorite actors, but he is very good here)

He'll always have Anaconda

It's like an "Apocalypse Now" era Brando doing a "Godfather" era Brando accent ... mated with Steven Seagal ... it's like snorting the ashes of Nick Cage and Klaus Kinski combined ... and I mean that as a compliment.

Anaconda is a movie I think I'll have to try and get The Rewatchables to cover*, I love it to pieces.

I'll never argue that it's any good, only that it's great ...

*I might even have to create a ####### Twitter account to make it happen. Blech.
   159. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 06, 2019 at 06:33 PM (#5859462)
Booty Nomad,

Damn, if I were starting a metal band in like 1988? That totally would get my vote!
   160. Davo Posted: July 06, 2019 at 06:48 PM (#5859465)
Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides

I don’t actually know what this book is, but I swear I see dozens and dozens of copies of it every time I go to a used book sale. Library, pawn shop, chain, independent, doesn’t matter, anywhere I look for used books I’m sure to find multiple copies of this one title.
   161. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 06, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5859482)
Robert Shaw in Jaws, one of the most iconic performances in movies. Not a topic of discussion. Just stating fact.
   162. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 06, 2019 at 08:28 PM (#5859483)
It is known.

I'll drink to your leg!
   163. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 06, 2019 at 08:45 PM (#5859487)
162--We took the kids to Santa Cruz for the 4th, and I came back early as in today to handle the contractors (getting the guest house fixed up). Watching 4th of July related movies.
   164. chisoxcollector Posted: July 06, 2019 at 11:43 PM (#5859541)
I forget the criteria here, is just 5 rando flicks you haven't seen for a particular actor?

It all started when I was perusing my Letterboxd stats, and realized that, for somebody that considers himself a major film buff, I had seen an embarrassingly low number of pre-1990 films. So, as a mechanism to catch up on some stuff I had missed, I decided to pick a famous actor from the 70s and/or 80s, and watch their 5 “biggest” films I had never seen. I just as easily could have grouped by director, or genre, or award winners, etc.

Next year I plan to stick with the project, but go back to the 50s and 60s. And then the following year, 30s and 40s.

I already have the rest of this year mapped out.

July - Robert Redford
The Natural (I know, I know)
Three Days of the Condor
Out of Africa
Jeremiah Johnson
The Great Gatsby

August - Paul Newman
The Verdict
The Hustler
Cool Hand Luke
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Towering Inferno

September - Warren Beatty
Reds
Heaven Can Wait
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
The Parallax View
Ishtar

October - Clint Eastwood
Escape From Alcatraz
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Harry
In the Line of Fire

November - Jack Nicholson
The Last Detail
Terms of Endearment
Prizzi’s Honor
Ironweed
Hoffa

December - Robert Duvall
Tender Mercies
The Great Santini
The Apostle
Mash
Either Colors, Newsies, or A Civil Action

165. chisoxcollector Posted: July 06, 2019 at 11:47 PM (#5859542)
He’ll always have Anaconda

I haven’t seen that since it was in theaters. All I really remember is how awful the digital effects were. I actually own the blu-ray, so maybe I’ll give it another look.
   166. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 01:25 AM (#5859549)

I haven’t seen that since it was in theaters. All I really remember is how awful the digital effects were. I actually own the blu-ray, so maybe I’ll give it another look.

Like I said, I'm not promising you it's any *good*, only that it's great.

Like seriously, a terrible CGI giant anaconda swallows Jon Voight.

Whole.

Who is then vomited back up and takes a moment before winking at J-Lo.

You've got Ice Cube, peak-era J-Lo, Owen Wilson, Eric Stoltz swallows a bee half way through the movie and disappears for the rest (like his agent told him E, can they like write you out of this thing, for your own good?) and ... Jon Voight.

Who chews so much scenery, I'm surprised the Amazon even exists at this point.

167. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 02:23 AM (#5859551)
Rando thoughts on #164 (as I go month by month)

Three Days of the Condor - Just watched this again, I think you'll like it
Jeremiah Johnson - Top 10 Western for me, absolutely one of my favorites, but I'm also a Milius fan, gorgeous, haunting, just have to read it as fiction rather than fact.

Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline ...
   168. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 07, 2019 at 03:32 AM (#5859553)
Like I said, I'm not promising you it's any *good*, only that it's great.

You've got Ice Cube, peak-era J-Lo,

I'll never forget watching "Anaconda" on Bad Movie Night with my GF, and all J-Lo does is get up to answer the door (0:34), and GF was like, "Whoa whoa what? Back that up. Dang. Who is that, again?" Definitely made an impression.

Oh, and chisoxcollector, if you haven't seen "The Candidate," definitely ditch "Out of Africa" for that. Redford's great in it.
   169. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 03:40 AM (#5859554)
All Is Lost as well.

Problem is here, I don't know what chisox has seen, so I don't know what to recommend for each month.
   170. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 03:43 AM (#5859555)
RE: #167

Del Gue : I ain't never seen 'em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! Keep good care of your hair! These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here! And there ain't no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent...

I love that entire scene
   171. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 04:49 AM (#5859556)

(You've) come far pilgrim.
Feel`s like far.
Were it worth the trouble?
Ah? What trouble?

you've done well, to keep so much hair when so manys after it
   172. BrianBrianson Posted: July 07, 2019 at 07:21 AM (#5859557)
doing a "Godfather" era Brando accent

In context, I presume it's supposed to be a Paraguayan accent? I can't say I've ever known someone from Paraguay, let along enough for me to know the whole span of possibilities. All I can find on it online seems to be Americans who can't seem to conceive of there being more than one accent in South America. There's some talk like that of Italian bleeding into the accent; Wikipedia tells me 40% of Paraguayans are of partial of full Italian descent, so perhaps that's not surprising? It is kind of funny to go through reviews that're praising the movie for it's diverse casting in one breathe, and insisting that all South Americans have the same accent in the next.
   173. chisoxcollector Posted: July 07, 2019 at 09:12 AM (#5859567)
Three Days of the Condor - Just watched this again, I think you'll like it
Jeremiah Johnson - Top 10 Western for me, absolutely one of my favorites, but I'm also a Milius fan, gorgeous, haunting, just have to read it as fiction rather than fact.

Thanks for the recs, especially the one for Jeremiah Johnson. I was on the fence as to whether to include that. Now I'm glad I did.

Oh, and chisoxcollector, if you haven't seen "The Candidate," definitely ditch "Out of Africa" for that. Redford's great in it.

The Candidate is one of the, well, candidates for the final Redford spot that ultimately went to Jeremiah Johnson. I really want to keep Out of Africa, as I'm also trying to see all of the Best Picture winners. Would it be worth ditching The Great Gatsby to include The Candidate?

All Is Lost as well.

Problem is here, I don't know what chisox has seen, so I don't know what to recommend for each month.

I have indeed seen All is Lost. Quite liked it too.

Here are the "big" movies I have seen from the remaining subjects for this year. I'm not going to include any big franchise movies, as I've seen all of those. I'm also open to suggestions as to replacements for Nicholson and/or Duvall. Though if the actor you have in mind was also big in the 60s, I'm probably including them in that project next year.

Robert Redford - All the President's Men, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, All is Lost, Spy Game, Sneakers, Indecent Proposal, The Old Man and the Gun

Paul Newman - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, Road to Perdition, The Color of Money, Torn Curtain, Nobody's Fool

Warren Beatty - Bonnie and Clyde, Dick Tracy, Shampoo, Bulworth, Bugsy

Clint Eastwood - Man With No Name trilogy, Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, Unforgiven, The Mule, Bridges of Madison County

Jack Nicholson - The Shining, The Departed, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Chinatown, Batman, Easy Rider, A Few Good Men, As Good As It Gets, Five Easy Pieces, Broadcast News, Anger Management, Something's Gotta Give, Witches of Eastwick, King of Marvin Gardens, A Safe Place (one of the worst movies I've ever seen)

Robert Duvall - Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, Network, The Conversation, Falling Down, THX 1138, Gone in 60 Seconds, Crazy Heart, Sling Blade, Days of Thunder, The 6th Day, Phenomenon

174. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 07, 2019 at 11:07 AM (#5859575)
Films released on July 7:

1939 The Rules of the Game
1989 Lethal Weapon
1995 Species
2000 Scary Movie
2006 Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
2017: Spiderman: Homecoming
   175. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5859576)

Robert Duvall - Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, Network, The Conversation, Falling Down, THX 1138, Gone in 60 Seconds, Crazy Heart, Sling Blade, Days of Thunder, The 6th Day, Phenomenon

Lonesome Dove?

I know it's a miniseries rather than a movie, but if you haven't seen it, your Duvall needs to start there.

He and Tommy Lee Jones are ... well, beyond my words to describe great in it.
   176. BrianBrianson Posted: July 07, 2019 at 11:44 AM (#5859581)
I believe the 1995 film Species is the first R-rated movie my wife saw. I think for me it was Terminator 2. But Species was the first R rated film I saw in theatres, even though I would've been 13, it was the fourth showing film at the drive in.
   177. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5859583)
McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Also in my top 10 Westerns.

Very Altman, very 70's. Peak Beatty and Christie, another gorgeously shot film (vilmos zsigmond, c'mon, of course) and the soundtrack, well, Leonard Cohen, ladies and germs:

Well, I've been waiting, I was sure
We'd meet between the trains we're waiting for
I think it's time to board another
Please understand, I never had a secret chart
To get me to the heart of this
Or any other matter
When he talks like this
You don't know what he's after
When he speaks like this,
You don't know what he's after.
Let's meet tomorrow if you choose
Upon the shore, beneath the bridge
That they are building on some endless river
Then he leaves the platform
For the sleeping car that's warm
You realize, he's only advertising one more shelter
And it comes to you, he never was a stranger
And you say ok the bridge or someplace later.
And then sweeping up the jokers that he left behind ...
And leaning on your window sill ...
I told you when I came I was a stranger.

Opening sequence
   178. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 12:29 PM (#5859596)
The Outlaw Josey Wales

I haven't watched the whole movie for a while, but it's got great scenes, including this one.

Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me
It's living that's hard, when all you've ever cared about has been butchered or raped
governments don't live together, people do
with governments, you don't always get a fair word or fair fight
well, I've come here to give you either one
   179. chisoxcollector Posted: July 07, 2019 at 12:40 PM (#5859600)
Classic westerns are by far my biggest blind spot. I’ve seen the 4 big Sergio Leone films... and that might be it. I expect next year, when I focus on the 50s and 60s, will be heavy on westerns. The first actor that I knew would be 100% included in the project next year was John Wayne. I don’t really like his shtick, but it’s kind of embarrassing that I’ve never seen a single film of his all the way through.

I considered Lonesome Dove for Duvall’s month, but found the runtime very daunting. I used it’s status as a mini-series, rather than a movie, as an excuse to exclude it.
   180. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 12:46 PM (#5859605)
Who else is on the actor/actress list?
   181. chisoxcollector Posted: July 07, 2019 at 01:18 PM (#5859612)
Who else is on the actor/actress list?

For next year? I’m not really sure of the whole lineup yet. The definites are:

John Wayne
Steve McQueen
Marlon Brando
Sidney Poitier
Audrey Hepburn

Some other possibilities are:

Kirk Douglas
Marilyn Monroe
William Holden
Sean Connery
Gregory Peck
Robert Mitchum
Burt Lancaster
Katharine Hepburn
Rock Hudson
Elizabeth Taylor
James Stewart (probably belongs in 30s/40s)
Montgomery Clift
Henry Fonda

I’m sure I’m missing somebody obvious.
   182. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5859613)
Lonesome Dove is worth making the time for.

Maybe not that month, but you really should do it.

When "The Rewatchables" podcast did "The Fugitive", they had (as they always do) a segment where they considered whether a performance in the film is the "peak performance" for a particular actor ... and everybody chose Tommy Lee Jones.

Meanwhile, I was just seething, muttering "Lonesome Dove, Lonesome Dove, will somebody at least ####### mention Lonesome Dove?"

He's *that* good in it.

And Duvall matches him step for step.
   183. Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew Posted: July 07, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5859617)
Duvall was in Sling Blade for like 3 seconds. Really, though, it was one scene.
   184. Lance Posted: July 07, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5859622)

Cary Grant!!!
   185. chisoxcollector Posted: July 07, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5859628)
Cary Grant!!!

Cary Grant is one of my all-time favorite actors. He probably belongs in the 30s/40s category, but I probably won’t include him, as I’ve seen most of his “big” films. Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart are the two older actors that I’m pretty well versed in.

Duvall was in Sling Blade for like 3 seconds. Really, though, it was one scene

I’ll admit, I don’t remember a whole lot about Sling Blade. I was just going through Letterboxd and marking down anything I’d seen with these actors.

Lonesome Dove is worth making the time for.

You’ve convinced me to give it a shot at some point!
   186. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: July 07, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5859630)

Cary Grant!!!

Others:

Humphrey Bogart
Michael Caine
Laurence Olivier
Orson Welles
Alec Guiness
James Cagney
Shirley MacLaine
Charlton Heston
Jack Lemmon
Walter Matthau
Gary Cooper
Tony Curtis
Bette Davis
Deborah Kerr
Diane Keaton
Meryl Streep
Myrna Loy
Christopher Plummer
Anthony Quinn
William Powell (well, he and Loy often co-starred)
Ward Bond (character actor, but appeared in a lot of good films)
Harry Dean Stanton (ditto)
Walter Brennan
Jeff Bridges
James Caan
Donald Sutherland
John Candy
Michael Douglas

187. Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew Posted: July 07, 2019 at 03:12 PM (#5859636)

I’ll admit, I don’t remember a whole lot about Sling Blade.

It was a good scene.
   188. Davo Posted: July 07, 2019 at 03:41 PM (#5859645)
In Reverse Shot today:

"Stuck in the Middle": Shonni Enelow on Juliette Binoche in Code Unknown

An analysis of my single favorite scene in my favorite director's entire filmography.
   189. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: July 07, 2019 at 04:38 PM (#5859657)
Bette F. Davis, man. That woman could read a phone book and never once strike a false note. She filled in once for Perry Mason when Raymond Burr was recuperating and was just stunning. Her interview with Dick Cavett was a marvel. All About Eve and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane are at the top for me, I think because of how brave she had to be to take those roles. From the soapiest soap to the costumiest costumer, she always nails it.

Walter Brennan has surprised me with his chops. I knew of him from the Real McCoys, which didn't call for any real acting on his part.

I'd throw Frank Morgen in for a character actor. We all know him as the Wizard of Oz, but his turn in Shop Around the Corner always chokes me up. He's strong in every role I've seen him in.
   190. Lance Posted: July 07, 2019 at 06:02 PM (#5859680)
Cary Grant is one of my all-time favorite actors. He probably belongs in the 30s/40s category, but I probably won’t include him, as I’ve seen most of his “big” films.

I am heartened to hear that. He became my favorite about 15 years ago and I have tried hard to see every film of his, especially everything from Topper onward, when he was a legitimate star. There are a few great ones people overlook too often, like "Only Angels Have Wings" and "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." I think there's a decent argument "North By Northwest" is the best film ever (I'm not making it, but I'd put it in the running).

The lists people have thrown out here will definitely keep you in quality movies for a few years.
   191. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 07:02 PM (#5859689)
Ian McShane, you hoopleheads ...
   192. Davo Posted: July 07, 2019 at 07:53 PM (#5859695)
Letterboxd has added a “stats” feature, so you can now sort through the movies you’ve seen to learn which writer’s movies you’ve seen the most, or costume designer, or, you know, actor.

The actor feature doesn’t discriminate. It’s not just movies the guy starred in, it’s any movie you’ve seen where the guy made an appearance.

So with that caveat in mind, my “most-watched” actors are....

1. Samuel L. Jackson, 37 movies
2. Ton Hanks, 26
3. Matt Damon, 25
3. Brad Pitt, 25
5. Robert De Niro, 23
6. John C. Reilly, 22
6. Liam Neeson, 22
6. Tom Cruise, 22
9. Keanu Reeves, 20
9. Bruce Willis, 20
9. George Clooney, 20
9. Willem Dafoe, 20
9. Robin Williams, 20
14. Kevin Bacon, 19
14. Philip Seymour Hoffman, 19
16. Charlize Theron, 18
16. Steve Buscemi, 18
16. Danny DeVito, 18
16. Mark Wahlberg 18
16. Morgan Freeman, 18

Yep I just lap up whatever slop Hollywood throws in front of me.
   193. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 08:15 PM (#5859698)
16. Steve Buscemi, 18

Also in Lonesome Dove, chisox!
   194. The Run Fairy Posted: July 07, 2019 at 09:05 PM (#5859705)
There are a few great ones people overlook too often, like "Only Angels Have Wings"

I saw this a few months ago. I was stunned at how good it was and it started me off on a Jean Arthur binge. I can't believe that not many people talk about it as a classic movie (or at all). Just great work all around.
   195. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 09:20 PM (#5859708)
Best "wings" movie ... go!

My entry?

Wings of Desire.
   196. BrianBrianson Posted: July 07, 2019 at 09:39 PM (#5859713)
Wikipedia tells me the kickstarter to make a Wings movie was a parody, and not even trying to be successful.
   197. Egregious Hidden Genitals (CoB). Posted: July 07, 2019 at 09:50 PM (#5859718)
I kind of am. But also kind of not.

You don't want to, you won't thank me (or OG), but you should.
   198. chisoxcollector Posted: July 07, 2019 at 10:02 PM (#5859723)
I love Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. It was part of a Cary Grant Signature Collection DVD box set that Warner Bros put out years ago. Other movies in the set were Destination Tokyo, Night and Day, My Favorite Wife, and The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer. All excellent!

One of my all-time favorite movies (top 10 at least) is Alfred Hitchcock’s Notorious, with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains. That was the movie that started my love of both Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock. I already loved Ingrid Bergman because of Casablanca.

The only really big Cary Grant movie I’ve never seen is Bringing Up Baby. I really don’t like Katharine Hepburn. I’ve started watching it multiple times but have never finished.
   199. chisoxcollector Posted: July 07, 2019 at 10:09 PM (#5859725)
Bette F. Davis, man

She will definitely be one of the subjects when I get to the 30s and 40s. I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve only seen two of her movies. Dark Victory and Petrified Forest.
   200. Lance Posted: July 07, 2019 at 10:24 PM (#5859729)
I love Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. It was part of a Cary Grant Signature Collection DVD box set that Warner Bros put out years ago. Other movies in the set were Destination Tokyo, Night and Day, My Favorite Wife, and The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer. All excellent!

One of my all-time favorite movies (top 10 at least) is Alfred Hitchcock’s Notorious, with Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains. That was the movie that started my love of both Cary Grant and Alfred Hitchcock. I already loved Ingrid Bergman because of Casablanca.

All great ones as well; a few more I'd mention are "Philadelphia Story", which might provide another angle to get past the Hepburn issue, "Suspicion", another excellent Grant/Hitchcock pairing, and "His Girl Friday", which may be the origin point of all romantic comedy movies. I could go on about Cary Grant way too long, all I can say is he makes even the throw-away movies like "Room For One More" or "Father Goose" enjoyable.
Page 2 of 11 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogSuburban housewives will post in OMNICHATTER!, for August 13, 2020
(24 - 8:02pm, Aug 13)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9073 - 7:59pm, Aug 13)
Last: the virus could be killed by injecting 57i66135

NewsblogDodgers' Joe Kelly sounds off on Astros players' handling of sign-stealing investigation
(5 - 7:50pm, Aug 13)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogPhillies to retire No. 15 in honor of Dick Allen
(8 - 7:45pm, Aug 13)
Last: Steve Balboni's Personal Trainer

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-13-2020
(8 - 7:23pm, Aug 13)
Last: Gch

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(145 - 7:18pm, Aug 13)
Last: tshipman

NewsblogWarm memories of Mickey Mantle, 25 years after Yankees great’s death
(4 - 7:07pm, Aug 13)
Last: phredbird

NewsblogAstros' Zack Greinke tells batter what's coming, gets swinging strike anyway
(14 - 6:58pm, Aug 13)
Last: phredbird

NewsblogEvaluating how Marlins did in Ozuna trade
(1 - 6:44pm, Aug 13)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogNationals’ Stephen Strasburg ejected from stands in social distancing oddity
(3 - 6:34pm, Aug 13)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

NewsblogHitting .400 in 2020 might draw an asterisk, but Colorado Rockies' Charlie Blackmon could earn it
(2 - 6:15pm, Aug 13)
Last: Barry`s_Lazy_Boy

NewsblogSource: Indians send Zach Plesac home for leaving hotel to go out in Chicago
(19 - 5:40pm, Aug 13)
Last: Tom Nawrocki

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Spring 2020
(681 - 5:09pm, Aug 13)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Gonfalon Cubs60 Second Season Preview
(45 - 4:10pm, Aug 13)
Last: Pops Freshenmeyer

NewsblogWhy Are MLB’s Base Hits Disappearing?
(38 - 2:58pm, Aug 13)
Last: pthomas

Page rendered in 0.7784 seconds
48 querie(s) executed