Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2019)

No summer doldrums this month — not when there’s a Sundance breakout drama, a new Pagan horror movie from the guy who gave you Hereditary and Quentin Tarantino’s valentine to old-school Sixties Tinseltown on the horizon.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 01, 2019 at 03:56 AM | 1020 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›
   401. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 15, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5862018)
flip
   402. Davo Posted: July 15, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5862022)
Damien Chazelle has a new project...BABYLON, a 1920s Hollywood drama set during the transition from silent movies to talkies. Emma Stone is loosely attached to play Clara Bow.

This sounds like a very very very very appropriate follow-up to La La Land.

And titling it BABYLON on top (presumable reference to Anger) is just *chef’s kiss*.
   403. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 15, 2019 at 02:38 PM (#5862026)
My daughter who recently turned 8, really likes both these movies (and also Spirited Away). She is an only child and her mother and I divorced when she was 5, and I think she identifies strongly with kids standing largely on their own in difficult times of loss and change. She also likes the excellent Netflix animated series the Dragon Prince and the Netflix version of Series of Unfortunate events, which while not featuring only children, both involve children having their parents murdered at the start of the series. Which isn't to say she only likes dark shows, she likes plenty of faster paced nonsense as well, with there being a time for each.

That's really interesting - thanks for that. My mother teaches children's literature and has a doctorate on the subject, and she's frequently promoting to others just how well-equipped children are, from quite a young age, to handle 'darkness' (for want of a better word). Some of the stuff in her library is remarkably bleak and delivers almost horror-story style endings, but she always tells me it's the parents who get freaked out more than the children with whom they share it.

The element of Kubo that struck me this time is at the end, where memories are shown to be more powerful and important than immortality, and the grandfather reappears to the villagers, who comfort and even praise him for the man he was (something that we see little or nothing of in the actual movie). That seemed a very nice moment of grace that added depth to all of the themes involved.
   404. Davo Posted: July 15, 2019 at 02:39 PM (#5862027)
Werner Herzog’s newest film is a documentary on Mikhail Gorbachev.

Here’s a review.
   405. jmurph Posted: July 15, 2019 at 02:52 PM (#5862033)
My daughter who recently turned 8, really likes both these movies (and also Spirited Away). She is an only child and her mother and I divorced when she was 5, and I think she identifies strongly with kids standing largely on their own in difficult times of loss and change. She also likes the excellent Netflix animated series the Dragon Prince and the Netflix version of Series of Unfortunate events, which while not featuring only children, both involve children having their parents murdered at the start of the series. Which isn't to say she only likes dark shows, she likes plenty of faster paced nonsense as well, with there being a time for each.

Have you checked out Hilda, also on Netflix? It's really good, I legitimately enjoy it. It might be slightly young for her (I mean, it's aimed for that age range I think, but I totally understand when kids think things are too young for them)- my oldest is about to be 6 and likes it a lot.
   406. Davo Posted: July 15, 2019 at 03:11 PM (#5862038)
@JakeMulligan
A grim list would be the best U.S. studio-produced films of the 2010s, probably like UNSTOPPABLE, a Malick funded by a subsidiary, the MAGIC MIKE movies, one or two or three by Anderson 1 or 2, BRIDGE OF SPIES, maybe THE LONE RANGER, and MARGARET (retroactively, sort of).

I am up for the challenge, though I don’t know if there’s a definition of “US studio-produced” that could reach consensus.
   407. JJ1986 Posted: July 15, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5862040)
THE LONE RANGER
I don't even hate this movie, but I can't imagine this isn't trolling.
   408. Manny Coon Posted: July 15, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5862046)
Have you checked out Hilda, also on Netflix? It's really good, I legitimately enjoy it. It might be slightly young for her (I mean, it's aimed for that age range I think, but I totally understand when kids think things are too young for them)- my oldest is about to be 6 and likes it a lot.

She mostly liked Hilda, but the less intense episodes didn't do it as much for her, the creepier or scarier the monster in a episode the more she was into it. Now that she can read more she has more options too, she recently read through a graphic novel version of Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book. The Hilda graphic novels the series is based on look great, but she hasn't been interested.
   409. Davo Posted: July 15, 2019 at 03:45 PM (#5862049)
407- I haven’t seen it, but it has its fans, and I generally assume people aren’t trolls without good reason. The author of the tweet wrote about it here.

Anyway, I decided it was impossible to settle upon a definition of "US studio-produced" and gave up on the project.
   410. Davo Posted: July 15, 2019 at 04:00 PM (#5862053)
This is a collection of words
@Variety
Greta Gerwig, Noah Baumbach to co-write #Barbie pic starring Margot Robbie
   411. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 15, 2019 at 04:04 PM (#5862054)
Looking at the list of 2013 releases, there are something like 30 movies released in that year that 1.) sold more tickets than The Lone Ranger, 2.) have a higher IMDB ratings than TLR, and 3.) were likely produced by a big US studio.

(I used "sold more tickets" as a way of winnowing the list down, so I only had to look at the 39 movies that did a better box office than TLR. The full list of movies released in 2013 with a higher IMDB rating than TLR is very, very long.)
   412. Davo Posted: July 15, 2019 at 05:41 PM (#5862069)
I’ve seen 126 movies with a budget of over $100,000,000....ranking them is the next challenge!
   413. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 01:57 AM (#5862162)
   414. yo la tengo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 08:04 AM (#5862170)
The convo about kids shows on Netflix caught my eye. My 10 year old girl LOVED Series of Unfortunate Events and she and I watched and enjoyed the Cumberbatch version of Sherlock together. We are trying to find a new series to love. Suggestions?
   415. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 16, 2019 at 09:08 AM (#5862176)
My 11 year old loved Unfortunate Events as well. We also watched the Good Place which she liked and I loved.
   416. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 09:33 AM (#5862181)
My daughter prefers to watch Youtube videos of people playing video games.
   417. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: July 16, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5862182)
My daughter prefers to watch Youtube videos of people playing video games.

You should have her taken away.
   418. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 09:51 AM (#5862185)
I too will require her to watch Miyazaki and other artful family movies, and other stuff in an effort to expose her to the finer things in film life - she's watched Chaplain and Keaton, she's watched subtitled films, etc - but when left to her own devices, she'd rather watch some stranger play Super Mario Odyssey.
   419. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 16, 2019 at 09:54 AM (#5862187)
The convo about kids shows on Netflix caught my eye. My 10 year old girl LOVED Series of Unfortunate Events and she and I watched and enjoyed the Cumberbatch version of Sherlock together. We are trying to find a new series to love. Suggestions?

On the other side of the tonal scale, I've gone through a couple of watches of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and been thoroughly charmed each time, though the last season didn't work for me as well. Carol Kane remains a national treasure.
   420. yo la tengo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 10:18 AM (#5862189)
She has watched Kimmy Schmidt with my wife and she is pretty amused by that. She has also fallen in love with Parks and Rec. I am just searching for something with a little more edge to it. I will look into the Good Place and see what there is to see there. Thanks for chiming in!

PS - She also watches way too much YouTube but it is usually DIY folks, not gamers
   421. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 16, 2019 at 10:29 AM (#5862192)
Looks like Netflix found out about the research showing that teen suicides increased considerably after they released their show about the relatable and fascinating teen who is treated unfairly at school but becomes appreciated after she commits suicide.
   422. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 16, 2019 at 10:43 AM (#5862199)
She has watched Kimmy Schmidt with my wife and she is pretty amused by that. She has also fallen in love with Parks and Rec. I am just searching for something with a little more edge to it. I will look into the Good Place and see what there is to see there.

I was going to suggest (and then deleted) Santa Clarita Diet as an option. Funny/silly, but really surprisingly gory. (Better Off Ted might be a good branching-off point from Parks and Rec for office-based comedy, and if that works, then Santa Clarita Diet would be a natural next step, since they share a creator.) Community is one of my favorites, and there's plenty of Internet denizens who agree, though it does pack the parody quite densely.
   423. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 11:11 AM (#5862211)
   424. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 11:22 AM (#5862220)
Only 100 points on the flagpole. Meh.
   425. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5862227)
Malcolm D. Lee is taking over the directing reins on Warner Bros./SpringHill Entertainment’s Space Jam 2 from Terence Nance.

We hear that Nance’s departure from the project was amicable, and essentially the filmmaker and the studio/producers had different takes on the creative vision for Space Jam 2.
   426. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM (#5862247)
It's official. With 32 total Emmy nominations, GAME OF THRONES holds the crown for the most nominations in a single season, breaking the 25 year old record held by NYPD BLUE
   427. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5862253)
   428. Javy Joan Baez (chris h.) Posted: July 16, 2019 at 01:02 PM (#5862267)
FWIW, my granddaughter (6) also loves watching YouTube videos of other kids playing games. Especially Minecraft.
   429. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 01:08 PM (#5862268)
   430. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 02:38 PM (#5862310)
@Vulture
The musical based on the 2007 indie film will close up shop after a nearly four-year run on Broadway

Am mildly curious if anyone could name the movie without clicking on the link. (I could not!)
   431. jmurph Posted: July 16, 2019 at 02:40 PM (#5862312)
Am mildly curious if anyone could name the movie without clicking on the link. (I could not!)

I got it! And I also absolutely love that movie.
   432. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 02:49 PM (#5862314)
I guessed Little Miss Sunshine.
   433. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 02:58 PM (#5862318)
@FilmLinc (Lincoln Center)
As a special event on August 17, we're thrilled to present the world premiere of @AriAster's Director's Cut of MIDSOMMAR, a singular, unflinching, utterly contemporary entry in the fish-out-of-water folk-horror canon

The movie just came out like a week ago!!!
   434. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:04 PM (#5862324)
Has anyone seen MIDSOMMAR? We're traveling to idyllic Scandinavia in a few weeks and feel that this is probably a must-see. My wife gave me a hard 'No' on it though.
   435. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5862327)
Re 434
375. Master of the Horse Posted: July 14, 2019 at 07:41 PM (#5861845)
Saw Midsommar. Total trip. Don't go if you are in a relationship and not feeling great about things.
   436. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5862329)
Also, I saw it.
   437. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5862330)
Did you like it?
   438. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:18 PM (#5862331)
Of course not.
   439. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5862343)
Why not?
   440. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:47 PM (#5862347)
   441. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:52 PM (#5862349)
That review was about as illuminating as I expected it to be.
   442. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 03:56 PM (#5862351)
Gottem
   443. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 04:16 PM (#5862360)
“What unites people? Armies? Gold? Flags? Stories. There's nothing more powerful in the world than a good story. Nothing can stop it. No enemy can defeat it.”

——

“A boy, in the midwest of this land, will grow up in a home where your book will be on the shelf and spoken of often. He will grow up with these ideas in his head. He will grow into a great orator. He will speak and his words will be heard throughout this land and throughout the world. This boy will become leader of this country and begin a movement of great change. He will speak of you and your words and your book will be the seeds of many of his great thoughts. They will be the seeds of change.”

If the first gets a writing Emmy, the second should a writing Oscar, it’s only fair.
   444. PreservedFish Posted: July 16, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5862364)
Are the Emmy's respected in the industry? I know that the Oscars are, and that the Grammy's are not, but I don't have a feeling on the Emmy's.
   445. Omineca Greg Posted: July 16, 2019 at 06:16 PM (#5862381)
I've been in Scandinavia in Midsommar. It was awesome, and I didn't even have to do any pagan ####. We went to Skansen in Stockholm, which was really just OK, but we lucked out. It was right when Prince Carl Philip got married, so a lot of young Swedish couples were gifta sig too...the place was packed with wedding parties, having picnics, getting photos. I have never seen so many Swedish women in formal and semi-formal gowns. They were so beautiful, whenever my wife got fascinated by some old stinky sod covered hut, I could watch all the pageantry in motion. I hope you know me well enough by now to believe me when I say I was into the pageantry first, and my prurient interests were secondary. But I was feeling a touch libidinös, I have to admit

So we're looking at the 22nd sod covered hut, and my wife turns to me and says, "You're really enjoying this aren't you?"

And I say, "You bet, I'm loving this hut, that's some pretty sweet sod, I gotta tell you."

She says, "No, I'm talking about all the young beautiful Swedish women all dressed in their finery. You're in your element."

And I say, "No baby, I've been so enamoured with all these sod roofs and the radiance of your company, I haven't even noticed the...what did you say...'beautiful Swedish women in their finery'? News to me!"

She didn't say anything. She just gave the look that she wasn't buying into it. Not quite the death look, but the severe injury look.

I had to think fast.

So I say, "Well, I had noticed all the weddings though. Is that what you're talking about? Yeah, it's been making me think back to when we got married, you know, so young, with all our lives in front of us. And how lucky all the grooms are here this afternoon, to have someone to share their life with, and how much your love has meant to me through the years, and how lost I'd be without it...So yeah, it's put me in a reflective mood, thinking about us, and all the things we've done together. And our children. And with so many people getting married here today, the mystery of what's going to happen in their lives, and in their families, the personal history that's yet unwritten, and how happy I am with the way things turned out for us."

And she looked at me.

She looked at me and said, "Did you see The Bridesmaid in the Orange Gown."

IT WAS A TRAP!

Everybody had noticed The Bridesmaid in the Orange Gown, I mean, there were a few bridesmaids in orange gowns, but there was only one Bridesmaid in the Orange Gown, if you know what I mean. To deny noticing her would stretch credulity past the breaking point, but if I acknowledged her strålande sexualitet and I'd be done. These are the moments that can make or break a vacation, the heat was on, and not because it was Midsommar.

"I dunno", I said. "There's so much satin here today, don't you think it would have looked better...in chiffon?"

OH YEAH! GIVE IT UP FOR THE KID!

She grinned and shook her head and rolled her eyes, but I knew that I had eluded the snare, and she knew it too. It was all I could do to not let go a Jeteresque fist pump.

If you've ever been to Scandinavia at Midsommar, you know there's a Nordic restraint and wild sexuality, an exotic amalgam to be sure. There's something you can feel in the air, the speeding natural life cycle of the higher latitudes running smack into the idiosyncratic reserve of the culture of the peoples there, who are in some ways are so free, but in other ways so bound by a taciturn formality.

But I like to think, I earned that Midsummer's Night on my own.
   446. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 06:25 PM (#5862385)
That post? Better than the movie!
   447. Howie Menckel Posted: July 16, 2019 at 08:25 PM (#5862407)
VERY reliable Twitter account, so smoke 'em if you got him in your pool. he is/was 99 1/2
#misseditbythatmuch

SCOTUSblog
‏Verified account @SCOTUSblog
8m8 minutes ago

Hearing first unconfirmed rumors that Justice Stevens has passed away.
   448. Omineca Greg Posted: July 16, 2019 at 08:26 PM (#5862408)
That post? Better than the movie!

Well, I'd hope so. The only review I've seen of the movie gave it two stars!
   449. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 08:27 PM (#5862409)
This is stretching the adjacency of the “pop culture” designationTOO MUCH.
   450. Davo Posted: July 16, 2019 at 10:09 PM (#5862445)
2019 Mid-Year Movie Reckoning

...But there are a few movies worth the attention of readers who reject mainstream media hype. Here’s the year’s best so far, alphabetically.
   451. Baldrick Posted: July 16, 2019 at 11:27 PM (#5862464)
The new Charly Bliss album is really wonderful, if you enjoy melodic indie rock. It reminds me a lot of The Con-era Tegan and Sara, which is a big endorsement in my book. The title track has been in constant rotation for me over the last month. It's one of those songs that keeps growing and growing as you listen, until it expands beyond your frame of reference and you just try to hold on for the ride. One of the most cathartic songs of the last few years.
   452. vortex of dissipation Posted: July 16, 2019 at 11:46 PM (#5862469)
The new Charly Bliss album is really wonderful, if you enjoy melodic indie rock. It reminds me a lot of The Con-era Tegan and Sara, which is a big endorsement in my book. The title track has been in constant rotation for me over the last month. It's one of those songs that keeps growing and growing as you listen, until it expands beyond your frame of reference and you just try to hold on for the ride. One of the most cathartic songs of the last few years.

Thanks for the recommendation. I played the video, and liked the song a lot. It makes sense that they're on Barsuk, because they have a similar melodic gift to Death Cab.
   453. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 17, 2019 at 04:12 AM (#5862478)
The wife suggested we go through the Matrix trilogy over the last few weeks, as she's never seen the last one. I think her understanding of the Internet consensus around Revolutions is much improved . . . and that might be the only positive I can readily find over that movie.
   454. yo la tengo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 06:36 AM (#5862479)
Thanks for the Charly Bliss nudge. I quite liked Guppy, need to check this one out. A new(ish) record I am loving is Big Thief's U.F.O.F.
   455. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 07:52 AM (#5862481)
Movie summaries by the National Review is just what I needed this morning.
   456. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 17, 2019 at 08:34 AM (#5862485)
The 40 Best Disney Songs, Ranked

Those of you with kids have probably heard a lot of those ... a whole bunch.
   457. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 17, 2019 at 08:48 AM (#5862486)
No kids, but: some of those songs are ranked too high. Others, too low. (And no Moana?)
   458. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:03 AM (#5862490)
Movie summaries by the National Review is just what I needed this morning.

Hey, someone's gotta find the anti-liberal messages encoded in arthouse cinema.
   459. JJ1986 Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:05 AM (#5862491)
So that's where Armond White went.
   460. jmurph Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:19 AM (#5862492)
No kids, but: some of those songs are ranked too high. Others, too low. (And no Moana?)

Whoops, I thought Moana was Pixar for some reason, which is why it wasn't included. But no? So now I'm just confused.

EDIT: Honestly the only possible explanation is that they also thought Moana was a Pixar movie.
   461. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:31 AM (#5862494)
I'm watching the Tour de France this morning. It's a boring flat stage where the only excitement is likely to occur in the sprint finish with a few hundred yards to go. They have to fill the time somehow. They do a lot of history and tourism - you hear a lot about chateaus and monasteries and aqueducts and dovecotes and such. They just had a culinary correspondent give a recipe for duck breast served over warm cabbage, apple and walnuts. They're in Albi, just north of the Pyrenees. In Waverly Root's masterful The Food of France, he partitions the country based on cooking fats. They're in the duck fat part of the country, the southwest, but headed toward to the olive oil part of the country. According to the play-by-play guy, you can tell we're close to the Mediterranean by the sun-drenched bricks of the local churches.
   462. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:40 AM (#5862495)
I actually don't know if the gators in Crawl are actually mutants. They are giant, or at least really big, which made me suspect mutant

Three alligators have been found roaming the streets of Pittsburgh in the last couple of months, and one was found in Chicago within the last couple of days. I hesitate to start a rumor that some movie studio is promoting this film by driving a truck full of alligators around and dropping them here and there, but the co-incidence of these events can't be denied.
   463. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:52 AM (#5862498)
The culinary correspondent jumped back on to recommend Gaillac Doux, the local sweet wine. Highly underrated, he says.
   464. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 17, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5862501)
So now I'm just confused.

Huh, didn't notice that either, but Moana's got at least two (You're Welcome and Shiny) that I'd gladly bump others on the list for.
   465. Austin Kearns: The Spy Who Shagged Flies Posted: July 17, 2019 at 10:03 AM (#5862504)
Assumed "When You Wish Upon a Star" would be number one, but it couldn't even crack the Top 10.
   466. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 17, 2019 at 10:19 AM (#5862506)
The actual best song is ranked 21st and the list seems to generally overrate the slow, sappy bullshit songs (#### right off with "A Whole New World").

How the hell does a Tarzan movie make the top 3? Wrong.

I do think they got about half of the top ten right, which is probably pretty hard to do when pulling from hundreds of songs.

NOTHING FROM LADY AND THE TRAMP? That's ####### outrageous. No Aristocats? Strange, that's a movie almost entirely about cats that love making music with an obvious standout track. Nothing from that crappy Oliver movie? Mistake, Savoir Faire is clearly a top 40 track and if Tarzan makes the list multiple times movie quality clearly doesn't matter.
   467. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 17, 2019 at 10:46 AM (#5862511)
Huh, didn't notice that either, but Moana's got at least two (You're Welcome and Shiny) that I'd gladly bump others on the list for.

For me, several other tracks from Moana would also rank highly, but those are definitely the ones I'm surprised not to find. And 'Savoir Faire' is badly underrated, agreed. I wonder if there was a cutoff for recent movies, otherwise 'MurderRace' would have had a shot at placement, if only for the deconstruction element. Perhaps it's actually a ranking of 'earworms', in which case 'Whole New World' makes a lot of sense.

Different direction, similar topic: did anyone see or hear Austin Wintory's 'A Light in the Void' concert? I Kickstarted it so have the soundtrack, but still waiting for video. It seems . . . intriguing.
   468. Javy Joan Baez (chris h.) Posted: July 17, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5862512)
Three alligators have been found roaming the streets of Pittsburgh in the last couple of months, and one was found in Chicago within the last couple of days.

The Chicago one is named Chance the Snapper.
   469. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 17, 2019 at 10:48 AM (#5862513)
I was going to say that the best Disney song was the Replacements doing "Cruella De Ville", but I listened to it and it's not as good as I remembered.

BTW, regarding Crawl, it turns out that the father in the movie lives next door to a gator farm, and the levy between them gets breached by the storm. So if the alligators are big it's just because they've had easy lives (rather than being mutants), and the real problem is that there are a #### ton of them in one place. I'm impressed; as creature horror film setups go, that's one that's within shouting distance of plausible.

The best mutant alligators will always be the ones at the end of Cave of Forbidden Dreams.
   470. jmurph Posted: July 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM (#5862516)
I was going to say that the best Disney song was the Replacements doing "Cruella De Ville", but I listened to it and it's not as good as I remembered.

Westerberg also did several songs for the Open Season soundtrack, but alas, that's apparently a Sony movie.

More importantly: how did that happen? Weird.
   471. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:06 AM (#5862520)
The best mutant alligators will always be the ones at the end of Cave of Forbidden Dreams.

Strongly agreed, but the best insane Herzog animal coda will always be the dancing chicken at the end of Stroszek.
   472. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM (#5862522)
   473. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:15 AM (#5862525)
This article on Crawl over at TheRinger, led me to this TCPalm article about people Googling "Florida Man" and their birthday which led me to, I humbly submit, is my birthday's winner: Matthew Horace Jones

CRESTVIEW, Fla. - A Florida man arrested for destroying a liquor store under construction told police he was Alice in Wonderland and that a "hookah-smoking caterpillar" ordered him to attack the site.

474. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:25 AM (#5862532)
2 days til the trailer for Tom Hooper’s CATS!!!
   475. Nasty Nate Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:34 AM (#5862534)
led me to this TCPalm article about people Googling "Florida Man" and their birthday
Mine is kind of a dud - a guy broke into a alligator/crocodile farm and then was bitten on the leg by a crocodile. On the one hand, it is the distilled essence of a Florida Man story, but on the other hand, it probably happens on a weekly basis down there.
   476. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5862537)
TIL: James Stewart starred in a movie called It’s a Wonderful World.
   477. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 11:51 AM (#5862540)
Cast

Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella[2]
Taylor Swift as Bombalurina[3]
James Corden as Bustopher Jones[4]
Rebel Wilson as Jennyanydots[5]
Jason Derulo as Rum Tum Tugger[6]
Ray Winstone as Growltiger
Idris Elba as Macavity[7]
Ian McKellen as Gus the Theatre Cat[8]
Judi Dench as Old Deuteronomy[9]

There’s gonna be so many cats.
   478. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 17, 2019 at 12:17 PM (#5862550)
On the one hand, it is the distilled essence of a Florida Man story, but on the other hand, it probably happens on a weekly basis down there.
There are four significant stories for my b-day, the third of which is "Florida man now has a very unfortunate tattoo", which strikes me as something that happens in Florida about once every eight seconds.

The other three are gold:
* "Florida Man Confesses to Cops, Says 'Jesus Told Me To' Drive Ferrari 360 Off Pier"
* "Florida man found in his underwear rolling around parking lot in an office chair"
* "Cops: Florida man armed with machete tried to ‘kill em with kindness’" (He had the word "kindness" written on the blade of the machete he was trying to wack people with.)

479. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM (#5862562)
Anyway

Complete list of Emmy nominees

Rhea Seehorn ("Better Call Saul") definitely should have been nominated.

My 5 y.o. loves "Kimmy Schmidt"....Titus is a ####### comedy gold mine.
   480. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5862564)

Strongly agreed, but the best insane Herzog animal coda will always be the dancing chicken at the end of Stroszek.

The movie, of course, that Ian Curtis watched on TV before hanging himself -- hence the run-out notations on the following year's 2LP Joy Division collection Still: "The chicken won't stop" (side A), chicken tracks across the grooves (sides B & C), "The chicken stops here" (side D).
   481. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:18 PM (#5862570)
I didn't know that. That casts the chicken in a rather more miserable light.
   482. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5862574)
So that's where Armond White went.

That. Is. Hilarious.

I actually only read the content, not the author. Just perfect.
   483. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:31 PM (#5862576)
The Hollywood Reporter speculated that Adam Sandler’s newest film UNCUT GEMS could premiere at the Venice Film Festival. Still looking at a September release date here in the states. One of my most anticipated movies of the year.
   484. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:42 PM (#5862577)
I have a soft spot for Cats, which I saw at the Wintergarden very early, in maybe the second year of the run. My mom brought me from Utica to the Creation comic book convention, and we also saw Cats. It's one of... three (maybe?) things I've seen on Broadway.

Chicago was a GREAT musical movie. It would be fun if Cats turns out good.
   485. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5862579)
I saw Cats on Broadway when I was a kid. Didn't get it. Still don't get it. Why do people like Cats?
   486. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:47 PM (#5862581)
I saw Cats on Broadway when I was a kid. Didn't get it. Still don't get it. Why do people like Cats?

Never saw it, but my wife (who loves cats) didn't like Cats either.
   487. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5862582)
I am, I believe, the only person on the planet who still admits to loving Tom Hooper’s previous films (The King’s Speech and Les Miserables), so I’m interested in CATS, even though I don’t know the musical (and haven’t liked much of the ALW I’ve heard).
   488. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 17, 2019 at 01:59 PM (#5862585)
The Hollywood Reporter speculated that Adam Sandler’s newest film UNCUT GEMS could premiere at the Venice Film Festival. Still looking at a September release date here in the states. One of my most anticipated movies of the year.

Are you a 'The Cobbler' guy?
   489. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:11 PM (#5862588)
PF: Elliot had a skill for words and Lloyd-Webber had a skill for melody. That's about it, plus lucky synergy.
   490. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:22 PM (#5862592)
Well, sure, but it's people dressed up like cats.
   491. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:26 PM (#5862595)
1. Professionally trained dancers dressed as and moving as cats.

2. People like cats. There's a thing called the internet about it.
   492. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5862599)
Are you a 'The Cobbler' guy?
The production company for The Cobbler has been trying to cover its losses by filing lawsuits to extort small-scale settlement payments from individuals who are accused of downloading it over BitTorrent. Of course their settlement demand is just less than the cost of a bare-bones legal defense, which still represents a major hit for a lot of the people who have to pay it (whether they actually downloaded the movie or not). Copyright trolling at its worst.
   493. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:32 PM (#5862602)

I haven't seen a Sandler film since "Big Daddy", but plan to check out "Murder Mystery" on Netflix soon. It was directed by Kyle Newachek ("Workaholics").

EDIT: not entirely true, I did see "Funny People".

494. PreservedFish Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:38 PM (#5862604)
I like cats, and I like professional dancers, and I like TS Eliot, but for me they don't go well together.
   495. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: July 17, 2019 at 02:43 PM (#5862607)
I haven't seen a Sandler film since "Big Daddy", but plan to check out "Murder Mystery" on Netflix soon. It was directed by Kyle Newachek ("Workaholics").

My girlfriend and I watched "Murder Mystery" a couple of weeks ago. She paid close attention; I tuned in and out. It was adequate "give me something to watch while I have a drink on the couch" fare. The driving plot device (not quite a gimmick) wears thin quickly, but it's enjoyable at first. I'd give it a C+. Maybe it's a better film if you pay close attention, but then again, it might be a worse film if you pay too close of attention.
   496. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 17, 2019 at 03:01 PM (#5862623)
The production company for The Cobbler has been trying to cover its losses by filing lawsuits to extort small-scale settlement payments from individuals who are accused of downloading it over BitTorrent. Of course their settlement demand is just less than the cost of a bare-bones legal defense, which still represents a major hit for a lot of the people who have to pay it (whether they actually downloaded the movie or not). Copyright trolling at its worst.

The cable company passed on a notice from Time Warner after the latter caught me downloading an episode of The Sopranos at my parents' house. That was 2006-7 and I've never used Bittorrent since. It was a lame download, too, as we had an HBO subscription at the time. Think I just wanted to grab a few seconds of either Tony or Christopher being upset about terrorism.
   497. Davo Posted: July 17, 2019 at 03:08 PM (#5862628)
I haven’t seen THE COBBLER, though I need to point out the director’s follow-up to it won Best Picture at the Oscars.
   498. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 17, 2019 at 03:33 PM (#5862635)
Not at the film festival, but linked in a sidebar is this Korean War drama: A Bitter Front

Inspired by real events, Bitter Front will follow combat surgeon Sergio Passaro, who is deployed to a remote UN position in North Korea in November 1950. He finds himself at the Chosin Reservoir, where outnumbered Marines face annihilation at the hands of thousands of Chinese soldiers. In this brutal environment, where subzero temperatures cause blood and vials of morphine to freeze solid, Passaro must treat a torrent of casualties on the front lines without becoming one himself.

Can't really think of a modern Korean War film, at least made in America (though I'm sure there must be at something out there).
   499. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 03:43 PM (#5862641)
I like cats, and I like professional dancers, and I like TS Eliot, but for me they don't go well together.

Well, Lloyd-Webber could trump all that. I don't necessarily see you belting out Aspects of Love ballads in high school or college.
   500. Lassus Posted: July 17, 2019 at 04:08 PM (#5862650)
flip
Page 5 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt!
for his generous support.