Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2019)

No summer doldrums this month — not when there’s a Sundance breakout drama, a new Pagan horror movie from the guy who gave you Hereditary and Quentin Tarantino’s valentine to old-school Sixties Tinseltown on the horizon.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 01, 2019 at 03:56 AM | 1020 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   701. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 23, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5864291)
You movie buffs probably already know, but the Peekskill Film Festival begins tomorrow night (the 24th) with a Foley Workshop, your chance to learn all about putting sound in a talkie. The Festival continues through Sunday; all-access tickets are $40 (plus a small service charge, natch) and let you come & go whenever.

No, there won't be any big names or Hollywood blockbusters (nor any mumblecore titans), but we've gone the last two years and it's actually a lot of fun.
   702. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 23, 2019 at 04:38 PM (#5864295)
   703. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5864298)
Probably not. How many people could they fit in van down by the river?
   704. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:01 PM (#5864305)
Hey 701, not so fast: one of your winners last year (Dennis Rainaldi) worked on Madeline’s Madeline, one of my faves!
   705. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:07 PM (#5864307)
Matt Zoller Seitz comes up with a perfect analogy:

@JacobQKnight
Those LION KING box office numbers are both bananas and depressing in almost equal measure. Disney doesn’t even have to try anymore. People just hook the IV up and take down whatever they can get at this point.

@MattZollerSeitz
There's a bit of "We're in Paris, let's eat at McDonald's" to the whole thing. Maybe the appeal is that you know exactly what you're getting, you know it'll be close to something you already like, and therefore the risk of disappointment is minimal.
   706. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 05:32 PM (#5864318)
Toronto International Film Festival lineup announced

The 2019 edition will premiere much-anticipated titles like Todd Phillips’ Joaquin Phoenix-starring “Joker,” Taika Waititi’s “Jojo Rabbit,” the Safdie brothers’ Adam Sandler-starring “Uncut Gems,” Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars” followup “Knives Out,” James Mangold’s “Ford v Ferrari,” Destin Daniel Cretton’s Michael B. Jordan vehicle “Just Mercy,” Steven Soderbergh’s “The Laundromat,” John Crowley’s “The Goldfinch,” Armando Iannucci’s “The Personal History of David Copperfield,” and Lorene Scafaria’s true-life “Hustlers.”

The lineup is rife with still more major names jockeying for early awards season attention, including Noah Baumbach (who will show his Netflix drama “Marriage Story”), Kasi Lemmons (showing her Harriet Tubman biopic “Harriet”), Rupert Goold (with his Judy Garland biopic “Judy”), and Edward Norton (who directs himself in “Motherless Brooklyn”).
   707. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 23, 2019 at 09:21 PM (#5864364)
(Dennis Rainaldi) worked on Madeline’s Madeline, one of my faves!

Guess I don't know my mumblecore titans as well as I thought

Rainaldi's film at Peekskill ("The Prodigal Mother") was quite good.
   708. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 09:46 PM (#5864378)
I have like 2 hours of work to do from home tonight. Which means tonight is the perfect night to re-watch....THE PHANTOM MENACE.
   709. PreservedFish Posted: July 23, 2019 at 10:02 PM (#5864387)
Nope, definitely not trolling at all, not in any way.
   710. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 10:10 PM (#5864390)
I feel like the term “blockade” is jusssst obscure enough that they should have chosen a different word in the opening crawl.

Then again, there are like a thousand problems with that crawl, and that’s number 993, so, I guess, bigger fish to fry.
   711. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 10:18 PM (#5864394)
Oh yes, the introduction to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, our first sign that something is amiss: as secret agents dressed in black robes, just like Darth Sidious.
   712. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 23, 2019 at 10:20 PM (#5864395)
Nope, definitely not trolling at all, not in any way.

You don't say ...
   713. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 10:29 PM (#5864399)
First time I saw this was on a Blu-Ray I rented from the library.

I bought it the other day, but on DVD, and....ooh boy this is rough going.
   714. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 11:01 PM (#5864411)
“You’re a slave?”
“I’m a person, and my name is Anakin.”
   715. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 11:28 PM (#5864417)
When they land on Tattooine, there are a bunch of Jar Jar sight gags (stepping in poop and all), and one of them is he smells some food in the market and it's soooooooo yummy he can't resist having a bite. But he gets caught by the merchant, and then spits it out, and it hits someone else in the head, and he's about to get punched when the Jedi save him, etc etc etc.

Anyway. Within the Greater Star Wars Universe, that random Tattooine merchant had a name. And a story! After Jar Jar took the food he was trying to sell that day, he wound up not being able to pay off his debts (or whatever), and then got sent to prison (or whatever) and then broke out (or whatever) and started a resistance movement to the Hutts (or whatever) and eventually rose all the way up to being a Super Awesome And Important Leader In The Galaxy (or whatever. It was a long time ago, far far away, etc.)

And this happens multiple times in the Extended Universe. Like, every time Jar Jar stumbles and bumbles and crosses paths with someone, no matter how small, it sets up a chain reaction with world-altering consequences for the person involved.

...I wish some of that had made it into the movie!!!
   716. Davo Posted: July 23, 2019 at 11:50 PM (#5864423)
I love how they don’t show us Anakin’s “cut” that QuiGon has to “clean” (in the scene where he takes a sample to test for midichlorians).

Like. Would have been the easiest thing in the world (the scene right before it is Anakin working on the pod racer). But no—he doesn’t even give us that, he lets us believe he just made the whole thing up out of whole cloth.

The Jedi, people. They aren’t great!
   717. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 24, 2019 at 03:32 AM (#5864476)
There's a bit of "We're in Paris, let's eat at McDonald's" to the whole thing.

That's actually a really good analogy, with the caveat that when my parents were dragging my brother and I through Europe on various occasions, our time in France before dinner was usually spent trying to find somewhere acceptably memorable for my folks where we could still get croque monsieur. We were incredibly fussy eaters. (Italy and Netherlands were not problems.)

I have been deeply unmoved by the Disney 'live-action'/CGI remakes I've seen, but I only tried a couple. Just not for me. But clearly they are for many, many people.

Which means tonight is the perfect night to re-watch....THE PHANTOM MENACE.

My brother posted on Facebook yesterday along the lines that seeing this was the first date for him and his now-wife. Mine involved flying from Amsterdam to meet an Alaskan woman living in New Mexico while she was visiting London, running out of Soho bars that were open, and then her falling asleep at 6am in her lodgings while we watched Black Books together on YouTube. Mine is a better story, but he had a much smaller spend, I bet.
   718. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2019 at 05:49 AM (#5864481)
People just hook the IV up and take down whatever they can get at this point.

Great metaphor! Christianity is a massive slab of Kilimanjaro to Disney's grain of sand in this regard.
   719. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2019 at 08:07 AM (#5864485)
I noticed that The Lion King, in the end, earned an emphatic green splat tomato - 52% - I guess the conspiracy failed, huh?
   720. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 24, 2019 at 09:05 AM (#5864489)
[edit] deleted until I can figure out tables
   721. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 24, 2019 at 09:13 AM (#5864490)
What was the conspiracy supposed to be again?
   722. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 24, 2019 at 09:24 AM (#5864493)
I finished Veep last night, finally. My goodness, what a poignant ending for what was a delightfully smart and vindictive show. The cursing in that show was an art form, the mix of geopolitical sophistication and base comedy of errors was so enjoyable. The energy was relentless and infectious, even as the show got deeply dark at times. Wow. Just wow. Absolutely an all-timer for me.

I think cements Julia Louise-Dreyfus as one of my comedic legends. Seinfeld + Veep is just so much funny in two very different roles.

And the rest of the cast was overwhelming talented. There wasn't single regular on that show who couldn't land a staggering, stop-you-in-your-tracks joke. The guest casting was equally sublime. God damn, what a thing.
   723. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 24, 2019 at 09:32 AM (#5864494)
[edit] Grrrrrrrr, HTML tables didn't do it.

How do people get table alignment in posts?
   724. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 24, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5864495)
Armando Iannucci is the Sith Lord of profanity.

I'd love to see a head-to-head "vulgarity off" between him and David Milch.

"Allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet on your hooplehead and ram it up the shitter with a lubricated horse ####."
   725. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:35 AM (#5864514)
Coincidentally, I ran a couple of episodes of The Thick of It last night. "Forgive the question, but it's a bit like asking if a dog can grasp the concept of Norway" is a favourite line, though light on the swearing.
   726. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:35 AM (#5864515)
Yesterday offered us a friendly reminder that the political pundit class contains some of the dumbest people on earth:

@HeerJeet (Jeet Heer)
Scorsese's been hit-and-miss for nearly 30 years & Tarantino has done some truly awful movies but "nerd franchises" is just the wrong category.

@Quinncy (Quinn Cummings)
Scorsese needs an editor of real gravitas, someone he respects, who says, "Marty, there are five second-acts in this movie. We're getting rid of an hour."

@HeerJeet
Yep. Agree 100%.
   727. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:36 AM (#5864516)
721- no conspiracy alleged, this is just boring old willful misreading of my posts by PF, no biggie.
   728. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5864521)
Ahem.

Davo (Love Won The Battle Of Stalingrad) Posted: July 11, 2019 at 06:18 PM (#5861119)

To be clear, I obviously don’t believe studios actually just hand over $$$$ bags to critics in exchange for good reviews...

But the bigger picture stuff (Who the publications assign to review which movie, editorial oversight, the way RT aggregators interpret reviews (as in the ludicrous example in post 299)), I think a lot of that is actual active studio meddling. Can’t prove it beyond anecdotes from people in the industry, but that’s the sense I get.
   729. Lassus Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5864522)
EDIT: Never mind.
   730. Greg Pope Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5864523)
How do people get table alignment in posts?

If you use the "code" button, you can get a fixed width font and then do the spacing yourself.

name    rank
George  1
John    2
Thomas  3
James   4
James   5 
   731. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM (#5864578)
   732. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 12:32 PM (#5864585)
   733. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 24, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5864596)
Miss John Wick already? Two new sleepers deliver an action-movie fix to tide you over

Furie tells the story of Hai Phuong, a single mother and ex-gangster trying to raise her daughter by working as a debt collector in rural Vietnam. One day, her daughter is kidnapped by organ-harvesting human traffickers—basically the most evil human beings imaginable. The kid gets put on a train with a bunch of other doomed kids, and Hai Phuong has to save all of them before they get chopped up into tiny pieces. So she stabs and kicks and chokes her way through the Saigon underworld, willing to throw herself into blood-spattering brawls with anyone who might know anything about her daughter.
   734. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5864608)
Great link—thanks! Need my fix!
   735. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 01:25 PM (#5864618)
Bilge Ebiri in Vulture:

Bring Back The Animation!

It was about halfway through the new, photorealistic remake of The Lion King that I found myself overwhelmed with grief. There I was, watching two lions limply cavort onscreen, in what looked like mildly interesting footage from a nature documentary, as “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” blared on the soundtrack. (Never mind the fact that the scene was set during the day!) Jon Favreau’s film had achieved something once thought impossible: creating digital animals so authentic they could have passed for the real thing. But in so doing, it reminded me of what was sorely missing from this newfangled version of The Lion King: Lines. Colors. Personality. Warmth. Wonder. What I suddenly longed for was a burst of hand-drawn animation.

There’s an airiness, a spontaneity to hand-drawn animation, which lends a playfulness to even the creepiest, most surreal imagery. Consider the “Friends on the Other Side” sequence in The Princess and the Frog, and its rapid-fire dance of floating heads, exploding skulls, and sinister swirls of fire and fog. If these elements had any weight or volume, they’d either be too terrifying or, more likely, too kitschy. Delivered as a two-dimensional, hand-drawn experience, it’s all fast and fun — like a thought briefly brought to life, then snatched back into the ether.

To be fair, showstopping numbers have often been a Disney trademark, and the studio’s later computer-animated titles like Frozen and Moana also have remarkable musical sequences. But they’re far more grounded. That is, in some ways, the magic of three dimensions — characters and objects have weight and shape and physical continuity, which makes it easier to believe that they exist in the real world, however fanciful they may be.

Traditional animation, by contrast, has the line, which shivers and shakes and strikes with the passion of the person creating it. Much as the brushstrokes of a painting can create a psychic connection with the artist who made them, line drawings still convey the power of an individual’s hand; they have a rough, human vitality. Somebody, we sense, created these pictures, and now the pictures are coming to life. Disney animator T. Hee once told a story about walking in on his colleague Bill Tytla while the latter was drawing the character of the Devil from the “Night on Bald Mountain” sequence of Fantasia. Tytla was so intensely wrapped up in his work, so possessed of a demonic fervor, that Hee quietly scurried out of the room.
   736. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 24, 2019 at 01:42 PM (#5864626)
RIP Rutger Hauer. If it's true that he largely ad-libbed his last lines as Roy Batty, then his talent was greater than I'd previously realised. (I went to a Blade Runner 'secret cinema' event last year, and it was pretty obvious that almost everyone really wanted to be either Pris or Batty.)
   737. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 24, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5864632)
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. RIP
   738. BrianBrianson Posted: July 24, 2019 at 03:22 PM (#5864680)
There's a bit of "We're in Paris, let's eat at McDonald's" to the whole thing.

When I was visiting Peking University, out of a bit of fun macabre fascination, I once had lunch at the "Western Cafeteria", and ordered a hamburger, on a lark.

Don't.

People might take offence to Taco Bell, or Canadian Bacon, or Olive Garden mangling ethnic cuisine. Those sweet, summer children are as if a rip in the 4th wall allowed the cast of the Teletubbies to wander into a re-broadcasting of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
   739. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 03:31 PM (#5864685)
From a Jack Nicholson interview with the New York Times in 1986:

Nicholson sounds like Napoleon in a beseiged mode when he discusses the forces arrayed against creative projects in hollywood these days. He complains about "conglomeration" narrowing the studio's vision.

"Do you feel like a creative person trapped in an uncreative age in the industry?"

"Well, you know, last night I saw--what's that movie--'Ferris' something?"

" 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'?"

"Well, that movie made me feel totally irrelevant to anything that any audience could want, and 119 years old."

He sighs deeply. "Believe me, everyone else watching it liked it. And you know, I literally walked out of tehre thinking my days are numbered. These people are trying to kill me."
   740. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 24, 2019 at 04:46 PM (#5864706)
When I was visiting Peking University, out of a bit of fun macabre fascination, I once had lunch at the "Western Cafeteria", and ordered a hamburger, on a lark.

Don't.

In Thailand my buddy ordered "American Fried Rice" on a lark. It was a bad lark.
   741. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 24, 2019 at 04:47 PM (#5864707)
@739 - Man Jack comes off as a #### in that interview. Get over yourself dude.
   742. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 05:43 PM (#5864719)
Big if true!
@MattZollerSeitz
I just heard from a film booker that Disney is no longer permitting repertory bookings of 20th Century Fox titles in theaters that show current releases. Rep houses and nonprofits are still OK. Any other bookers encountered this? The tip is legit on my end.
   743. Davo Posted: July 24, 2019 at 05:51 PM (#5864722)
MZS
Exemptions are repertory-only, nonprofits, universities, museums, and free or outdoor screenings. Apparently the only individual 20th Century Fox title exempt from Disney's commercial repertory screening ban is Rocky Horror. Fathom Events is its own thing & is not affected.
   744. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 24, 2019 at 06:12 PM (#5864728)
Believe me, everyone else watching it liked it.
Oh, he's very popular, Jack. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads--they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
   745. BrianBrianson Posted: July 24, 2019 at 10:25 PM (#5864765)
Indeed, Jack was pretty prescient. Since 1986, he's had a really, really hard time getting work. Apart from Batman, A Few Good Men, Mar Attacks!, As Good As It Gets, and Something's Gotta Give, I don't think I've seen a movie of his post 1986 that even grossed a hundred million dollars.
   746. PreservedFish Posted: July 24, 2019 at 11:28 PM (#5864780)
I think it's significant that Jack gave that interview a few years before Sex, Lies and Videotape came out, before the Sundance Film Festival rose to prominence, and so on. He may have underestimated his own star power, but he was right that Hollywood at the time was becoming less creative. It's a familiar story: the rise and fall of the 70's Hollywood new wave / renaissance and its eventual replacement in the 80s with the era of the Lucas/Spielberg summer Happy Meal action figure blockbuster.
   747. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 24, 2019 at 11:32 PM (#5864784)
Don't forget The Departed, 291.5 million total gross.
   748. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM (#5864794)
   749. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2019 at 07:15 AM (#5864801)
#744 deserves a nod of credit. Very well done.
   750. BrianBrianson Posted: July 25, 2019 at 09:52 AM (#5864808)
No, I haven't seen The Departed. Is it any good?

Lucas and Spielberg were/are both incredibly innovative, creative directors (certainly they were in the 1970s). Apart from "They were commercially successful", it's hard to knock either of them then (it's plausible to argue they've gotten a bit lazy of late, I think?).
   751. manchestermets Posted: July 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM (#5864812)
"Allow me to pop a jaunty little bonnet on your hooplehead and ram it up the shitter with a lubricated horse ####."

That one's from his upcoming David Copperfield, right?

BBC radio plays are an interesting phenomenon, and radio dramas are still being produced sporadically.

More than sporadically - Radio 4 still has a daily afternoon drama. They don't have a great reputation though, they're frequently lampooned as very exposition heavy ("Hello, my good friend whose husband died unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago." - that kind of thing). Faded Glory - a "bittersweet drama about past loves and future dreams set against the backdrop of Rhyl." has just finished if you want to check one out, and it sounds entirely typical.
   752. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5864821)
No, I haven't seen The Departed. Is it any good?

It was pretty engaging. I've grown weary of gangster films, but I did enjoy this one. It is a remake of a Korean film that everyone says is better, but I haven't seen it.
   753. manchestermets Posted: July 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5864826)
Also, matters arising from the four page catch-up with this thread I've just done - the best musical is Oliver! and Dougal and the Blue Cat is a fantastic film.
   754. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 11:10 AM (#5864830)
Pennyworth is an American drama television series, based on characters published by DC Comics and created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, that is set to premiere on July 28, 2019, on Epix.[1]

Premise

Pennyworth follows the Wayne family's legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth, a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne in 1960s London."
   755. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 25, 2019 at 11:12 AM (#5864832)
It was pretty engaging. I've grown weary of gangster films, but I did enjoy this one. It is a remake of a Korean film that everyone says is better, but I haven't seen it.

I'll go to bat for "The Departed"....hammy performances for sure, but some very quotable lines*, and good suspense scenes. The best scenes are lifted directly from "Infernal Affairs", the Korean original.

*I'm the guy that does his f*ckin' job, you must be the other guy.
   756. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5864838)
Lucas and Spielberg were/are both incredibly innovative, creative directors (certainly they were in the 1970s). Apart from "They were commercially successful", it's hard to knock either of them then (it's plausible to argue they've gotten a bit lazy of late, I think?).

Nicholson was a significant figure in what was believed to be a renaissance - the triumph of artistic ambition after Hollywood had spent many years dominated by bloated musicals and Bible epics and derivative Westerns. I don't think that Lucas and Spielberg were hacks or anything, they were certainly creative and innovative, vitally so, but in a different way, and their success helped to close that other era. "Here's $X million to make an episodic Antonioni-influenced road movie" turned into "Let's run this script by the toy division first."
   757. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2019 at 11:30 AM (#5864847)
@HeerJeet (Jeet Heer)
Scorsese's been hit-and-miss for nearly 30 years & Tarantino has done some truly awful movies but "nerd franchises" is just the wrong category.

@Quinncy (Quinn Cummings)
Scorsese needs an editor of real gravitas, someone he respects, who says, "Marty, there are five second-acts in this movie. We're getting rid of an hour."

@HeerJeet
Yep. Agree 100%.

Which part of this was wrong?

(I do agree with Jeet Heer being terrible, for the record.)
   758. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 12:35 PM (#5864875)
757–
1. That’s not what an editor does.
2. Even if it was, Scorsese has worked with the same editor for over 50 years, Thelma Schoonmaker, and she’s one of the most acclaimed and esteemed in the industry. The idea that Scorsese doesn’t “respect” her, or that she lacks “gravitas,” are just embarrassingly ignorant takes.
   759. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2019 at 12:42 PM (#5864881)
Okay fair enough on the merits, but that seems like an overly literal reading of their complaint, which is that Scorcese has been hit-and-miss and his movies are frequently a bit of a mess. Easy to agree or disagree with either point (and there are many other much more terrible takes from Jeet Heer you could post!).
   760. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2019 at 12:45 PM (#5864884)
Which part of this was wrong?

I was prepared to take this position; but when when you actually call up the films from 1990 to now for Scorcese, I'm not sure "hit or miss" is that accurate (inasmuch as every film he's done obviously hasn't been perfectly reviewed and a box office hit, there is enough lacking in the miss category for me to give that assertion a side-eye). Someone else may think so, of course. (I'm having a hard time copy and pasting a good list, though, if someone else wants to try.)
   761. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5864890)
The Departed is ... cromulent. If you like Scorsese in general, check it out, otherwise, it's not essential viewing.
   762. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5864892)
I was prepared to take this position; but when when you actually call up the films from 1990 to now for Scorcese, I'm not sure "hit or miss" is that accurate (inasmuch as every film he's done obviously hasn't been perfectly reviewed and a box office hit, there is enough lacking in the miss category for me to give that assertion a side-eye). Someone else may think so, of course. (I'm having a hard time copy and pasting a good list, though, if someone else wants to try.)

My Scorsese hot take is that Raging Bull is on the shortlist for best American movie ever made and that most of his other big movies are really overrated.
   763. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5864895)
I'm in the midst of an argument about The Departed with with my gf right now (she's pro, I'm anti*) and she's smarter than I am. So, might be time for a rewatch.

* anti just means "mixed bag". Some real good stuff, some of it is so dumb.
   764. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:03 PM (#5864897)
* anti just means "mixed bag". Some real good stuff, some of it is so dumb.

This is also what I mean about his movies I'd call "overrated," though Aviator and Wolf of Wall Street might actually just be bad rather than a mixed bag.
   765. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:09 PM (#5864899)
I’m watching a movie where Samuel L. Jackson blows up Trump Tower.

I LOVE this movie. Definitely my favorite Wahlberg movie (over, IDK, The Big Hit maybe?) and in a tight competition for my favorite Will Ferrell movie (with Talladega Nights and, when I'm feeling wistful, Anchorman).

The best scenes are lifted directly from "Infernal Affairs", the Korean original.

Yeah, this was really surprising when I watched IA after loving The Departed. I mean, some of them were shot-for-shot.

I don't think I've revisited either since I watched them both in a span of a month. The Departed has a pretty great cast, so I suspect it holds up pretty well.
   766. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:35 PM (#5864904)
though Aviator and Wolf of Wall Street might actually just be bad rather than a mixed bag.

I wonder about these films, and generally objectivity vs. subjectivity. Aviator seemed boring, and Wolf was not my type of film. I'm not sure if that means bad or not. Maybe more with the former.
   767. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:41 PM (#5864907)
I liked Wolf quite a lot. It's not top-tier Scorsese, but I'd much rather watch it again than say, The Departed (or The Aviator).
   768. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:44 PM (#5864908)
The Departed is ... cromulent. If you like Scorsese in general, check it out, otherwise, it's not essential viewing.

Why everyone in the movie decided they needed an over the top Boston accent was beyond me. Cromulent is a good description.
   769. JJ1986 Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:46 PM (#5864909)
I don't like The Departed, but I had seen Infernal Affairs first and think it's vastly superior. A lot of the supporting characters in Scorsese's film are dumb cartoons, especially Wahlberg.
   770. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:55 PM (#5864912)
A lot of the supporting characters in Scorsese's film are dumb cartoons, especially Wahlberg.

I can't disagree with this, but somehow he and Baldwin and just really entertaining anyhow.

an over the top Boston accent

Maybe. I've spent more time in Boston over the past few years.....
   771. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 25, 2019 at 01:58 PM (#5864916)
Gangs of New York should have been a homerun. Great, interesting historical setting that intersects with so many themes and currents of the American experience: crime, immigration, Tammany Hall, the Civil War, conscription, etc. Daniel Day Lewis is ridiculously charismatic as Bill the Butcher, a bunch of great actors in the supporting cast and ... DiCaprio is wrong for the part of Amsterdam. Not bad, per se, just wrong.

But Cameron Diaz is far, far beyond just wrong. She's one of the worst casting decisions I can remember. I'd love to know the history behind her casting because it boggles my mind that she's in that film.
   772. jmurph Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:06 PM (#5864919)
Agree on Gangs, I just don't think it was very good in sum.

I don't know how many people saw Hugo, but it's a lot of fun! Obviously not going to go down as one of his masterworks, but it's well done and there's a lot of good moments in it. Silence didn't seem to work for everyone and I'm still not sure how I feel about it in total, but it was interesting and bold and different, and it was a worthwhile movie watching experience.

Also wikipedia tells me he's directing Killers of the Flower Moon? That's intriguing.
   773. JJ1986 Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:08 PM (#5864922)
No Direction Home is my favorite thing Scorsese has done since the 1980s.
   774. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5864924)
A lot of the supporting characters in Scorsese's film are dumb cartoons, especially Wahlberg.

That's kind of what makes it rewatchable for me.

I love "The Other Guys" as well. Definitely in my personal top 10, which off the top of my head would include:

"The Other Guys"
"Back to the Future"
"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"
"Spaceballs"
"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"Terminator 2"

maybe "The Apostle", discussed a few pages back. Possibly "Speed".

775. Lassus Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:13 PM (#5864925)
Yeah, I was super-hyped for Gangs of New York, while in New York, and it was certainly disappointing.

Honestly, in hindsight, that whole era deserves a more meticulously accurate non-blockbuster HBO series. I would have preferred that to The Deuce. (But Day-Lewis, jesus, that guy's a force of nature.)
   776. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5864931)

I LOVE this movie.

Have to find this; any movie where T---p Tower gets blown up...
   777. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5864934)
Honestly, in hindsight, that whole era deserves a more meticulously accurate non-blockbuster HBO series.

I'd re-sign with HBO to watch that. I suppose I should really read the book that was the primary inspiration for the film, Herbert Asbury's The Gangs of New York: An Informal History of the Underworld

The book details the rise and fall of 19th century gangs in New York City, prior to the domination of the Italian-American Mafia during Prohibition in the 1920s. Focusing on the saloon halls, gambling dens, and winding alleys of the Bowery and the Five Points district of Lower Manhattan, the book evokes the destitution and violence of a turbulent era, when colorfully named criminals like "Dandy" Johnny Dolan, William Poole (also known as Bill the Butcher), and Hell-Cat Maggie lurked in the shadows, and infamous gangs including the Plug Uglies, Dead Rabbits, and Bowery Boys ruled the streets. It includes a rogues' gallery of prostitutes, pimps, poisoners, pickpockets, murderers, and thieves.

The book contains detailed accounts of the New York City draft riots in 1863. It also elaborates on numerous other criminal influences of the time, including river pirates and the corrupt political establishment such as Tammany Hall[1].

That totally deserves its own mini-series.
   778. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5864936)
Definitely my favorite Wahlberg movie

Boogie Nights?

Three Kings??

The Happening???

(n.b. one of these things is not like the others)
   779. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:49 PM (#5864945)
776- Heh. THE OTHER GUYS. From 2010! Back when Trump was just a reality tv Star!
   780. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2019 at 02:54 PM (#5864948)
I watched that awful The Little Rascals film with my kids (they loved it) and it was very distressing to me when Donald Trump had a cameo as the villainous greedy condescending father of the greedy condescending child villain.
   781. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5864978)
@jaboukie
watching king of the hill now and seeing four adult friends who consistently find the time to quietly enjoy each other’s company and drink feels utopian

Heh. I think this is part of the appeal of Friends among millennials too.
   782. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 25, 2019 at 04:12 PM (#5864980)
Should I go see The Farewell tonight, or the original 1959 version of The Haunting? I'm really not a big horror/suspense fan but it seems like a classic.
   783. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 25, 2019 at 04:24 PM (#5864986)

776- Heh. THE OTHER GUYS. From 2010!
Damn, I was hoping it would be a documentary.
   784. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 25, 2019 at 04:48 PM (#5864992)
Should I go see The Farewell tonight, or the original 1959 version of The Haunting? I'm really not a big horror/suspense fan but it seems like a classic.

THE HAUNTING. Great adaptation of the Shirley Jackson tale, worth it for the big screen experience.

I wanted to like The Farewell, but it bugged me. I thought the protagonist was kind of a blank-slate doofus ("Wait, your 'plan' was... to get a Guggenheim Fellowship???"), and the grandmother was treated as more of a prop than a person with her own story. I liked all the actors, and there are some nice moments, but this is the one to watch at home (if at all).
   785. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 04:57 PM (#5864996)
@ArnoldFans
Bam Margera, Eddie Furlong's agent, just announced Furlong has to drop out of the August 3rd and 4th #BellCountyComicCon to film additional last minute involvement for #TerminatorDarkFate ! Looks like we're getting a bit MORE Furlong! Good to have him BACK!
   786. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 25, 2019 at 05:00 PM (#5864998)
Eddie Furlong's agent is Bam Margera? The drunken guy from Jackass?
   787. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 05:13 PM (#5865003)
There was so much amazingness in one tweet!
   788. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 08:23 PM (#5865070)
@BDisgusting
With Legal Issues Clearing Up, George Miller Says Three ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Sequels Now Looking Likely

Should make some people happy!
   789. PreservedFish Posted: July 25, 2019 at 08:43 PM (#5865077)
I LOVED Mad Max: Fury Road.
   790. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 25, 2019 at 09:41 PM (#5865091)
No Direction Home is my favorite thing Scorsese has done since the 1980s.

Cosign! That movie took my Dylan fandom to another level. I think it's the only documentary I own and possibly the only documentary I've watched more than once. It's particularly wonderful paired with I'm Not There, the sort of reality-based backbone to the surrealist tale.

I love "The Other Guys" as well. Definitely in my personal top 10, which off the top of my head would include:

"The Other Guys"
"Back to the Future"
"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"
"Spaceballs"
"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"Terminator 2"

That's a really good list. Probably the only one on there without a special place in my heart is Back to the Future. The rest are all time favorites, MMFR is the only one I haven't seen half a dozen times or more (and that's not by choice, just availability and my wife's refusal to watch it).

Boogie Nights?

Three Kings??

The Happening???

Boogie Nights was definitely a #goodmovie, but I didn't really get a whole lot out of it personally. I have never felt the urge to watch it again. I mostly remember it for introducing me to John C. Reilly and my adolescent obsession with Heather Graham. Maybe watching it at 13 wasn't the best way to get a whole lot out of it.

I found Three Kings to be totally boring. Turned it off when I was watching it, can barely remember anything about it except it took place in Iraq and George Clooney and Ice Cube were the other two Kings. I am aware it is a well-regarded movie though, just did not work for me. I have never seen the Happening, I suspect this is the one that isn't like the others.

The Other Guys, on top of being laugh-out-loud funny every time I see it, has this odd social conscious bent that is both out of place but also weirdly adds to the comedy. When Wahlberg is going on and on about drugs and organized crime and Will Ferrell has to keep bringing him back to white collar criminals, I get an extra hoot out of the jokes tied to that push and pull, especially when juxtaposed with all the base, grotesque humor throughout the film. It's a movie with a surprising amount to say while also ging me the term "Soup Kitchen" (thanks Dirty Mike!) which I try to use whenever I can.

Plus, Michael Keaton just starts randomly quoting TLC songs halfway through the movie. I have no idea where it comes from, but I find myself thinking about it and laughing on a weekly basis. I can't listened to "Creep" without picturing Keaton.
   791. Davo Posted: July 25, 2019 at 10:56 PM (#5865108)
791- The Other Guys is a really interesting fulcrum point in director Adam McKay’s career. Leading up to it he’d done absurd/slapstick comedies (Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers) and after it he’s made left-wing political satires (The Big Short and Vice). So in the middle we have this one, which is a near perfect blend of both styles.

Really enjoying it.
   792. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 26, 2019 at 04:26 AM (#5865132)
I think The Other Guys is 2/3 of a very good comedy movie. The back end of it has always felt jarringly out of place to me, and I don't think it really works. Still happy to rewatch it whenever I come across it.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I had foie gras wrapped in cotton candy tonight. Weird and sort of horrifying (on multiple levels), but delicious.
   793. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 07:44 AM (#5865138)
Where was that, dog?
   794. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM (#5865170)
Tom Breihan, who did the excellent A History of Violence series, reviews The Graduate for his Popcorn Champs series, which looks at the highest grossing Hollywood movie for every year (starting with 1962, IIRC)

The people who made movies thought they knew what blockbuster films were. The Hollywood studios had a formula, and for years, that formula worked. People liked big, sweeping stories—mythic sagas with costumes and stars and vast action sequences. They liked period pieces. They liked musicals. They liked to see the faces of movie stars, beaming, blown up to 50 times their actual size. And then The Graduate happened, and nobody knew anything anymore.

At this point, it’s become both legend and cliché: Movies changed in the ’70s. Auteurs took over. Directors with big ideas about social and political life suddenly seized control and launched an all-too-brief golden age, one that ended when Jaws invented the summer blockbuster in 1975. That story has been told a million different times in a million different ways. And in just about every version of that story, the whole saga begins in 1967—the year of The Graduate, Bonnie And Clyde, In The Heat Of The Night, and Cool Hand Luke. These days, The Graduate is a canonized masterpiece, one of those movies that you feel like you have to watch when you start to learn about film. But in the moment, as the phenomenon was happening, it must’ve been an absolute headfuck.

Here’s to you, The Graduate, the Hollywood blockbuster that changed everything
   795. jmurph Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5865175)
Mark Harris wrote a book about that year that I've been meaning to read forever. In fact I'm going to buy the kindle version right now for just $4.99.
   796. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:21 AM (#5865180)
I have never seen the Happening, I suspect this is the one that isn't like the others.

It's an M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie.

Wahlberg plays a high school science teacher and the plot revolves around trees that release airborne toxins that cause people to commit suicide

From wiki:

The film was nominated for four Golden Raspberry Awards: Worst Picture, Worst Actor for Mark Wahlberg (also for Max Payne), Worst Director, and Worst Screenplay for M. Night Shyamalan.[31]

Wahlberg offered his own opinion of The Happening in 2010, saying that Amy Adams, who was in consideration for the role of Alma Moore, had "dodged the bullet" by not starring in the film. He said, "It was a really bad movie... F**k it. It is what it is... You can’t blame me for not wanting to try to play a science teacher. At least I wasn’t playing a cop or a crook."[32]
The Happening came in eighth in a 2010 poll by Empire magazine of "50 Worst Movies of All Time",[35] and first in a 2012 poll by SFX magazine of "50 Worst Sci-fi & Fantasy Movies That Had No Excuse".[36]

797. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:22 AM (#5865181)
#795 Pictures At A Revolution; it's referenced in the article.
   798. jmurph Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:26 AM (#5865182)
#795 Pictures At A Revolution; it's referenced in the article.

Nice (sorry I didn't actually click the article yet!). I like Harris's magazine/online writing, so I'm hoping the book is good.
   799. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM (#5865183)
Yeah, it's on my list somewhere, I might have to bump it up, or see if the library has it.

Everything Breihan writes for the AV Club is worth reading, if you like action movies at all, A History of Violence is essential

With A History Of Violence, Tom Breihan picks the most important action movie of every year, starting with the genre’s birth and moving right up to whatever Vin Diesel’s doing this very minute.
   800. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:28 AM (#5865184)
“At least I wasn’t playing a cop or a crook“ is a great line by Marky Mark.

The Happening is fine. Even if you don’t like it, you’ll never be bored.
Page 8 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.