Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (July 2019)

No summer doldrums this month — not when there’s a Sundance breakout drama, a new Pagan horror movie from the guy who gave you Hereditary and Quentin Tarantino’s valentine to old-school Sixties Tinseltown on the horizon.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: July 01, 2019 at 03:56 AM | 1020 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 > 
   801. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:29 AM (#5865185)
flip
   802. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5865192)

The Happening is fine. Even if you don’t like it, you’ll never be bored.

Yeah, but I bet it's no Lady in the Water

Bring on the narfs and scrunts!
   803. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM (#5865204)
Insane day during what was already the most exciting Tour de France in recent memory: the day's race in the Alps was canceled in the very middle of the race due to a freak blizzard and hailstorm, only a day after 100+ degree temperatures. At the moment it was canceled, Julian Alaphillipe, the French rider in the yellow jersey, had slipped 30 seconds behind the #2 rider. Alaphilippe had just gone over the summit of the day's largest peak, and is regarded as perhaps the world's best descender, and had a great chance of catching up, with a massive descent perfectly suiting his style as a rider. He lost that chance because they canceled the race during what was shaping up to be the most exciting single moment in the race, freezing the time gaps at the summit of the mountain, and cementing the 30 second deficit in the books. He loses the yellow jersey, and probably loses the whole thing, unless he pulls off a miracle tomorrow. He would have been the first French rider to win the Tour in 30+ years.
   804. Lassus Posted: July 26, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5865215)
If everything is frozen, why is the chance lost?
   805. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 11:34 AM (#5865218)
They didn't undo the race, they decided, with no forewarning, that only half of the stage would count, so none of the contenders knew that they they were crossing the finish line when they did. There was probably no right answer here - the hail storm sounds like it was a true freak occurrence and the road was absolutely not passable for bicycles - but the solution was incredibly beneficial to the young Colombian guy that is really good on long mountain ascents, and incredibly unfortunate for the French guy that specializes in descents and perhaps might have intentionally saved his energy on the ascent. Likely to go down in history as one of the most controversial stages in Tour history. People were already saying that this was the most exciting Tour in decades.

Tomorrow is still absolutely in play, but now the yellow jersey is in the hands of the most dominant team, which has a habit of choking races at the front and making them boring. It ends tomorrow on another huge endless mountain ascent, so it doesn't play well to Alaphilippe's skills, and the immediate conventional wisdom is that he's done. Making up a gap of even 30-40 seconds is extraordinarily difficult.
   806. Lassus Posted: July 26, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5865221)
Ohhhhh I took 'frozen' to mean everyone continues tomorrow where they stopped to complete the stage. But that's not what happened, correct?
   807. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM (#5865228)
but the solution was incredibly beneficial to the young Colombian guy that is really good on long mountain ascents, and incredibly unfortunate for the French guy that specializes in descents and perhaps might have intentionally saved his energy on the ascent. Likely to go down in history as one of the most controversial stages in Tour history.

Does it really matter though, when, in a year or two whoever wins gets stripped of their title for blood doping? Or is cycling "clean" now?
   808. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5865232)
That would be amazing and awesome, but I think it's logistically impossible. I just meant that they retroactively decided on a semi-arbitrary finish line, and as such the virtual time gaps immediately became actual time gaps.
   809. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5865235)
Does it really matter though, when, in a year or two whoever wins gets stripped of their title for blood doping? Or is cycling "clean" now?

It's "clean" - it's been quite some time since a major rider got busted for PEDs. I don't know if cheating is absolutely rife or if the sport is actually somewhat clean. I don't pay much attention to the issue and usually totally ignore it. But it was impossible not to let some doubt creep into my mind this year, particularly on the day that Alaphillippe dominated the individual time trial, a discipline he's not at all known for. They expected he'd lose as much as a 60-90 seconds to his major competitor, the guy that won the yellow last year, but he ended up beating him by 15 seconds. Yesterday The Ringer compared Alaphillippe's extraordinary rise to Armstrong's - Armstrong apparently was originally similar to Alaphillipe, a guy that did well on the one-day classics, which feature punchy ups and downs, but nobody thought he had the energy to win a grand tour, which is 21 days of racing. (IIRC Armstrong claims that cheating was so universal that the sport was essentially fair, as were his victories, because everyone shared the same advantage).
   810. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 12:06 PM (#5865237)
I don't blame them at all for calling the race, footage make it seem like the descent could have turned deadly
   811. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM (#5865240)
Yeah, there were inches of slush on the road. I guess I'll believe them that it's impossible to hold a race in those circumstances, but I kind of wish they just rolled through everything. A few years ago Vincenzo Nibali had a huge day because he was so ballsy on a stage where it was raining heavily over cobblestones.
   812. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 01:38 PM (#5865259)
802--Sure, you laugh at a fantasy where Narfs and Scrunts claim a single story can change the entire world, but when dragons and White Walkers do it, you give it all the Emmys, I see how it is. ;)
   813. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 26, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5865261)
the descent could have turned deadly

Only one account that I follow follows @LeTour - Mr. Barry freakin' Bonds, baby
   814. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 01:49 PM (#5865262)
@EstherOnFilm
Who gives a #### if a director has a foot fetish honestly. More directors should have unusual but ultimately benign sexual fixations permeating their work. We should be so lucky.

@NicksGoodTweets
Agree in principle, but my problem is he fixates on the wrong part of the foot.

@EstherOnFilm
This is terrifying. nick what the #### does this mean.
   815. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5865263)
@tvoti (Emily VanDerWerff)
A movie studio is asking Vox to remove an article not for factual reasons or concerns but because it has spoilers.
The movie is in wide release. The spoilers are clearly marked both within the article and in its presentation.
They want no spoilers for "as long as possible."

@tvoti
To be even more clear, this is an article _praising their film_. It's ridiculous.

@tovoti
Like even Marvel at their Marvel-est accepts that serious filim discussion requires (clearly marked) spoilers once the movie is out.
I used to think "anti-spoiler culture is the enemy of criticism" was an overstatement, but 2019 is seriously testing that belief.
   816. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5865271)
802--Sure, you laugh at a fantasy where Narfs and Scrunts claim a single story can change the entire world, but when dragons and White Walkers do it, you give it all the Emmys, I see how it is

I'll let the lads from Spinal Tap take it from here.
   817. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 26, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5865278)
It's "clean" - it's been quite some time since a major rider got busted for PEDs. I don't know if cheating is absolutely rife or if the sport is actually somewhat clean.

well, if everyone is cheating then no one is, right?! :-) is there a good streaming site for the Tour?

Also, can anyone weigh in on Beyond Meat? I mean, whether or not their Impossible Burgers and whatever else are any good, is there any chance this company should have a 14 Billion dollar market cap right now on the stock market?

edit: it is reminding me of the 3d printer company craze from a few years ago.
   818. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 26, 2019 at 02:54 PM (#5865280)
it is reminding me of the 3d printer company craze from a few years ago.
That's the next wave: 3D "meat" printers!
   819. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 03:06 PM (#5865282)
I've been using this stream

Also, can anyone weigh in on Beyond Meat? I mean, whether or not their Impossible Burgers and whatever else are any good, is there any chance this company should have a 14 Billion dollar market cap right now on the stock market?

Only if you believe that global meat industry will shortly collapse due to environmental disaster or bad PR something like that and that the entire world, en masse, will accept Beyond Meat not as a meat substitute but as an actual meat on par with animal meat. I think it's a bit hasty to believe all that.
   820. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 26, 2019 at 03:12 PM (#5865284)
Where was that, dog?

Bazaar Meat by Jose Andres. I'd certainly recommend the place, particularly if you don't mind setting money on fire.
   821. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 26, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5865287)
Only if you believe that global meat industry will shortly collapse due to environmental disaster or bad PR something like that and that the entire world, en masse, will accept Beyond Meat not as a meat substitute but as an actual meat on par with animal meat. I think it's a bit hasty to believe all that.

I'd put my money on Impossible over Beyond anyway, just based on burger taste (though Beyond Sausage is pretty impressive).
   822. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 03:34 PM (#5865289)
I've been to the Bazaar in Beverly Hills. My comments on this site, with humor from Elroy Ripken:

77. PreservedFish Posted: August 08, 2018 at 03:29 PM (#5723372)
I went to a restaurant that had a water menu, with tasting notes. I bought a rare bottled water from the Pyrenees for $10. I hated it. Switched to tap almost immediately.

80. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 08, 2018 at 04:14 PM (#5723415)
Sadly, we've achieved such a post-satire world that I can't tell if this is a joke or there actually is a place in LA or NY that does this. It's terrifyingly plausible.

82. PreservedFish Posted: August 08, 2018 at 04:21 PM (#5723424)
It also had a dessert room. Like, when it was time for dessert, you left your table and went into a totally different room that was decorated all over in pink and chrome.

Also I had some sort of liquid nitrogen science experiment cocktail.

Memorable meal, I'll give it that. The huge menu is mostly classic Spanish tapas, which doesn't match up with anything else they do, but we ordered all the wackiest modernist #### because it seemed more appropriate in the setting.

83. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 08, 2018 at 04:24 PM (#5723427)
Wow. I would say someone should set that place on fire, but apparently they'd have plenty of water to put it out.

EDIT: Yeah, I should probably retract the statement above - turns out it's our client's place. Now I'm not particularly surprised.
   823. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 03:35 PM (#5865290)
However, the NYT just gave a rave review to the new Jose Andres-curated Spanish food hall in NYC, so I want to go there.
   824. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 26, 2019 at 04:01 PM (#5865307)
I was at the Las Vegas one. They certainly do try very, very hard. In addition to cotton candy with foie gras, the menu also included s'mores with foie gras and bagels and lox in a cone, among other things..

No special dessert room (they just brought us a tray of complimentary, unsolicited miniature candies), but my friends did in fact order drinks that were approximately 90% steam. And tap water for us, as even though I'll occasionally pay absurd amounts for steak, there's no way in hell I'm going to spend $10 on a bottle of water.

I enjoyed it. Copious amounts of excellent meat will cause me to forgive quite a bit of pretensiousness.
   825. PreservedFish Posted: July 26, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5865310)
I read this bookrecently and in one of the chapters he mentions the extensive mineral water selection at a fine restaurant. I think it used to be more of a thing, or potentially still is a thing in Europe and always was a thing there.
   826. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 05:39 PM (#5865349)
   827. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 06:38 PM (#5865369)
@TheFilmStage
Gaspar Noé will premiere 'Irrevérsible - Inversion Intégrale,' a version of the film in chronological order, at Venice 2019
   828. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 26, 2019 at 08:14 PM (#5865404)
is that the one with adam sandler
   829. Davo Posted: July 26, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5865407)
@Swen_Ryan
What films feature an actor on-screen watching a film they acted in previously? I can think of GOODBYE, DRAGON INN and A THOUSAND SUNS.

I could think of zero, though Clint Eastwood’s JERSEY BOYS is close (the singers watch an old Clint Eastwood movie on tv in their hotel room).
   830. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 26, 2019 at 08:27 PM (#5865410)
is that the one with adam sandler

And a stick of butter, IIRC ...
   831. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 26, 2019 at 08:57 PM (#5865422)
What films feature an actor on-screen watching a film they acted in previously?

Does the scene in Spaceballs count where Mel Brooks' character is looking for a video tape and browses past a shelf of Mel Brooks movies?
   832. baravelli Posted: July 26, 2019 at 09:49 PM (#5865449)
What films feature an actor on-screen watching a film they acted in previously? I can think of GOODBYE, DRAGON INN and A THOUSAND SUNS.

Sunset Boulevard.
   833. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 27, 2019 at 07:50 AM (#5865499)
These aren't exact matches, but...

"The Muppet Movie" ends with the Muppets sitting in a theater watching "The Muppet Movie."

W.C. Fields stands in front of a billboard for "The Bank Dick" featuring his name and caricature in his film "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break."

In the movie "Who Done It?" Abbott and Costello hear their own "Who's On First?" routine playing on the radio, disgustedly react with an "Oh no, not them again!" and demand that the radio be switched off.
   834. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 27, 2019 at 08:52 AM (#5865506)

Targets. Bogdanovich's first movie with Boris Karloff.
   835. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:12 AM (#5865507)
Does the scene in Spaceballs count where Mel Brooks' character is looking for a video tape and browses past a shelf of Mel Brooks movies?

Or Blazing Saddles, where they buy a ticket to "Blazing Saddles" at a movie theater to see how it ends.

In all that Jazz, Roy Schneider as Bob Fosse is editing/watching Lenny. Which also doesn't quite fit, but feels somewhat related.
   836. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:26 AM (#5865508)
In all that Jazz, Roy Schneider as Bob Fosse is editing/watching Lenny. Which also doesn't quite fit, but feels somewhat related.

I thought of that one too, but the movie within the movie is The Stand Up. Not quite Lenny, but a stand in.
   837. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:39 AM (#5865509)
I thought of that one too, but the movie within the movie is The Stand Up. Not quite Lenny, but a stand in.

OH SHOOT, you are totally right! My bad.
   838. PreservedFish Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5865511)
Targets. Bogdanovich's first movie with Boris Karloff.

Good one. Great little movie.
   839. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: July 27, 2019 at 10:29 AM (#5865514)
That's the next wave: 3D "meat" printers!

They're working on it... 3d printed meat and fish
   840. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 27, 2019 at 10:40 AM (#5865515)
So now that I've smoked my way through all of the anime of interest (Attack on Titan S3: Amazing; One Punch Man S2: Good but disappointing; Ultra-man S1: Got better as it went; She-Ra S1-2: Surprisingly good, hard rec to the poster whose daughter is watching Dragon Prince), I've started Preacher (like midway through episode 5 now). It's certainly absurd, but with enough high energy and humor to make that go down pretty easily. The show is at its best when the characters are beating the #### out of each other but there's plenty of promise in the other elements of the show.

Curious if anyone else has seen it and what they think so far. Apparently the new season will be the last one.
   841. Davo Posted: July 27, 2019 at 01:23 PM (#5865525)
While some critics have hit the movie for being too much like the original — including shots and script — Favreau defends his decision not to stray too far from the 1994 film.

“Everybody’s got their own formula. I’m not saying this is the way you do it, but it’s the way I’ve done it,” he said. “You don’t want to reinvent it completely. You want people to see it and be able to say, ‘I saw “The Lion King.”’ Just like when I went to see the play. I went to see the play. I had seen the movie, and I said, ‘I saw “The Lion King.”’ Now the play is an hour longer and has different songs, different scenes but somehow it captured the essence of the film. You would casually say it’s the same exact story.”
   842. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 27, 2019 at 02:07 PM (#5865529)

Lost in Translation?
Bill Murray's character is flipping through channels and sees one of his old movies on the hotel TV. But I'm not sure whether the young-Bill-Murray clips we see are from a movie or TV show.

Also, not quite the same thing, but there's a delightful moment in the documentary Say Amen, Somebody when the Rev. Thomas Dorsey is played one of his old records but doesn't realize it at first, then when the singing starts his eyes light up and he says "That's ME!"
   843. Swoboda is freedom Posted: July 27, 2019 at 04:37 PM (#5865557)

OH SHOOT, you are totally right! My bad.

Cliff Gorman, who was the stand up in All That Jazz, was the original Lenny Bruce in the play Lenny. Fosse cast Dustin Hoffman in the movie though.
   844. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: July 27, 2019 at 08:01 PM (#5865580)
Not the same thing, but one of my favorite similar meta moments was in the late Happy Days episode "Joanie Gets Wheels". At one point Mr & Mrs Cunningham go out to see The Music Man, and coming home Mrs C says, "That little boy looks just like Richie at that age." Then Mr C responds, "Oh, that's ridiculous."
   845. Davo Posted: July 27, 2019 at 08:53 PM (#5865595)
Q: Do you like “Old Town Road”?

Robert Christgau: I like "Old Town Road" in the Billy Ray Cyrus remix. But I don't love it. As a song I think it tops Childish Gambino's "This Is America" but not Cardi B's "Bodak Yellow," two previous must-hear this-is-a-phenomenon singles I got on late because I'm so album-oriented in this phase of my life, but found none of the three as culturally or aesthetically compelling as I was supposed to. This may be because I'm 77 and may be because most current "memes," if that's what these are, are less intrinsically compelling than must-hears should be. More than, let us say, "Beat It" or "Hound Dog" (but maybe not the overrated "Heartbreak Hotel"), they are pure functions of an information system less universal than such information systems are credited with being. This is why so many "memes" would once just have been called "hypes."

On the other hand, taking "Old Town Road" off the country chart strikes me as racist pure and simple, because country radio remains racist regardless of the Darius Ruckers and Kane Browns it makes room for. And of course, it's also sexist in an era when so many of the edgiest country singers are women: Miranda Lambert, Angaleena Presley, Becky Warren, Margo Price, Ashley Monroe, Mary Gauthier, even Kacey Musgraves, can I mention Lori McKenna, and I know I'm forgetting people.
   846. Man o' Schwar Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:03 PM (#5865596)
Lost in Translation?
Bill Murray's character is flipping through channels and sees one of his old movies on the hotel TV. But I'm not sure whether the young-Bill-Murray clips we see are from a movie or TV show.

Yes but - his character in LIT is a movie star, so in the film's reality probably what he was seeing was not old Bill Murray clips but old clips of the parallel universe Bill Murray character.

In Community, Pierce Hawthorne has a picture of Chevy Chase from Caddyshack on his wall.

(Even farther down the rabbit hole - in the opening montage to the Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School, showing the life of Thornton Mellon from childhood to present day, one of the clips shown is of Rodney Dangerfield as Al Czervik playing golf in Caddyshack).
   847. Davo Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:16 PM (#5865598)
The kids are both asleep so I am on my way to behold the latest Tarantino. I hope it doesn’t suck.
   848. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:20 PM (#5865600)
Played Patsy Cline and the wife was amazed. So kind of fun
   849. Howie Menckel Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:25 PM (#5865601)
Willie Nelson wrote "Crazy" and pitched it to Patsy Cline 60 years ago.

Willie is still performing. Crazy, indeed.
   850. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:36 PM (#5865604)
Lost in Translation?

Yes but - his character in LIT is a movie star, so in the film's reality probably what he was seeing was not old Bill Murray clips but old clips of the parallel universe Bill Murray character.

Fine.
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
   851. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 27, 2019 at 09:43 PM (#5865606)
RIP Martin and Üter and others:

Russi Taylor has died. A prolific voice actor, Taylor’s credits stretch across a massive swathe of the animation history of the last 40 years—but she’ll probably be best known, and loved, around these parts for the decades she spent playing the perfect portrait of a kiss-ass alpha nerd, Martin Prince, on The Simpsons. (To say nothing of her work as fellow classmates Üter, Terri, and Sherri.)

May the Universe grant her many licks of the eternal Vengelerstrasse bar ...
   852. Davo Posted: July 28, 2019 at 01:05 AM (#5865671)
Hoooooly ####, QT’s gone full-on reactionary. Sad!
   853. Davo Posted: July 28, 2019 at 02:54 AM (#5865675)
@JackRyanAmazon
There's no looking back for #JackRyan. Next stop: Venezuela.

ROFLMAO
   854. Hot Wheeling American Posted: July 28, 2019 at 10:39 AM (#5865692)
Hoooooly ####, QT’s gone full-on reactionary. Sad

Do you think the Manson Family had good ideas but went too far?
   855. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: July 28, 2019 at 12:52 PM (#5865718)
Scientists Have Determined the Most Influential Film of All Time

10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937)

9. Frankenstein (1931)

8. The Birth of a Nation (1915)

7. Citizen Kane (1941)

6. Metropolis (1927)

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

4. King Kong (1933)

3. Psycho (1960)

2. Star Wars (1977)

1. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
   856. Davo Posted: July 28, 2019 at 02:19 PM (#5865739)
I’ll point out that while on a moral level I found ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD to be reactionary garbage, but, moment to moment, it’s the most I’ve liked one of his in....ever? Lots of genuinely human moments, Tarantino’s signature cutesy tics toned way down.
   857. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 28, 2019 at 03:14 PM (#5865748)
Quit polluting the morality thread with your opinions on pop culture.
   858. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 28, 2019 at 03:40 PM (#5865751)
Saw OUATIH and thought it was great. Leo was fantastic and Brad Pitt was just as awesome. But lots of great work by others.
   859. Davo Posted: July 28, 2019 at 04:09 PM (#5865761)
857- difficult to discuss this one here, due to spoiler concerns.
   860. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: July 28, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5865763)
859--I honor spoiler concerns for a week from when the thing was widely available. After that, if you want to avoid spoilers live in a cave.
   861. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: July 28, 2019 at 05:21 PM (#5865772)
Davo -- I appreciate what you shared, and what you did not share/spoil, in 856, and look forward to hearing more of your thoughts once other folks have had a chance to see it; just found it interesting that the critical assessment came after the moral.
   862. Davo Posted: July 28, 2019 at 05:54 PM (#5865780)
861- The film has basically the most reactionary/egotistical moment of hubris in the history of the dang medium.

Like, in Lars Von Trier’s most recent film, there is a scene where I swear to God, the poet Virgil delivers a lecture on the value of ultraviolet cinema while we see a montage of ultra-violent scenes that are all from Von Trier’s own movies.

And QT saw that and said “Hold my beer.”

...so it’s really hard to just talk about the acting and lighting!
   863. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 29, 2019 at 06:54 AM (#5865897)
After going through the three movie-length remakes, I've been trying out the original series of Neon Genesis Evangelion (after, erm, rubbishing it as an option for first-time anime watchers). I have to say that I'm really impressed. Admittedly I'm not sure what my expectations should be for a show of its type, but the art direction, the amount of lore/backstory dispensed, and the overall pacing really have worked well so far. I guess I had assumed that it would either feel leaden or cheaply-made compared to the movies, but if anything it seems the opposite.

Seeing it as it was originally released would probably have reconfigured my teenage brain, though I can imagine not necessarily in a healthy direction.

864. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 29, 2019 at 09:23 AM (#5865905)
This year's Peekskill Film Festival was a resounding success. Many of the shorts--eg, New Bronx, Pea Pod Man, Dead Air, and my personal favorite, Wish Weasel--were excellent, and there were two features which we really hope get a wider audience: Myth, the first feature by writer/director Brian DiLorenzo (art and life become entangled when a college student meets a film director he idolizes); and Hudson, a wonderful "road trip" picture, by Sean D Cunningham. Simple story, but beautiful upstate NY scenery and enough small twists to keep you engaged. Terrific performances, particularly by David Neal Levin in the title role. Got to speak with both Sean & David after the screening (also with Richard Masur, who kills it in 2 scenes as Hudson's father...and physician). And Sunday morning, when Mrs U and I were going into the city, we ran into David at the Peekskill MetroNorth station and had a great conversation with him all the way in to GCT.
   865. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: July 29, 2019 at 09:45 AM (#5865911)
Re: #845--
Christgau is entirely correct about the wide attention-to-quality/significance ratios for "Old Town Road," "This Is America" and "Bodak Yellow."

Christgau is out of his record-pickin' mind when he deems "Heartbreak Hotel" overrated as a cultural or aesthetic benchmark.
   866. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 29, 2019 at 09:58 AM (#5865913)
OTR/TIA/BY: These (particularly the first two) are more compelling for reasons other than the songs themselves. OTR for how it became popular and what that says about culture in 2019 (otherwise, it's a pandering earworm ... not that there's anything wrong with that) and TIA for the video (which I thought was good but not otherworldly).
   867. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:15 AM (#5865921)
864- That’s awesome! Here’s hoping they get some distribution!
   868. Hysterical & Useless Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:18 AM (#5865926)
Here’s hoping they get some distribution!

Yeah, that seems to be the big hurdle, to get somebody to sell your film to theatre chains/Netflix/Amazon.
   869. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:50 AM (#5865942)
After going through the three movie-length remakes, I've been trying out the original series of Neon Genesis Evangelion (after, erm, rubbishing it as an option for first-time anime watchers). I have to say that I'm really impressed. Admittedly I'm not sure what my expectations should be for a show of its type, but the art direction, the amount of lore/backstory dispensed, and the overall pacing really have worked well so far. I guess I had assumed that it would either feel leaden or cheaply-made compared to the movies, but if anything it seems the opposite.

Seeing it as it was originally released would probably have reconfigured my teenage brain, though I can imagine not necessarily in a healthy direction.

I tried watching it when it dropped on Netflix. I had never seen any of it before. Everyone loves this show, I really need to figure out what I am missing. I think it is possible that this is not the moment in my life for this type of contemplative anime, but you clearly aren't having any trouble with the pacing.

I am certain I would have been more open to this show when I first dove into anime at 21-22.
   870. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5865946)
@TheAVClub
Matthew Weiner's The Romanoffs and Nicolas Winding Refn's Too Old To Die Young both get axed at Amazon
   871. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 29, 2019 at 11:19 AM (#5865955)

I tried watching it when it dropped on Netflix. I had never seen any of it before. Everyone loves this show, I really need to figure out what I am missing. I think it is possible that this is not the moment in my life for this type of contemplative anime, but you clearly aren't having any trouble with the pacing.

I am certain I would have been more open to this show when I first dove into anime at 21-22.

It might help that I had already seen the movies, so I had some idea what I was in for and was hunting for more content and answers for questions that felt like they stood out. (Even the title sequence for the show includes important information that I don't think was flagged up in the movies, e.g. what "AT Field" stands for!) I also feel like some of the more light-hearted content, such as the schoolmates storyline early on and Shinji's very poor track record with personal boundaries, plays better as the main narrative stretches a bit.

The animation is good too - I was braced for many more static shots and less impressionistic, experimental choices, but if anything the variety in the original has been refreshing. (E.g. the 'Shinji finds a schoolmate camping out in a field playing at soliders' episode has some very nice art to create atmosphere.)

Do you have any recommendations for me after I finish? The other Gainax shows, like FLCL seem like an obvious place to start, but it sounds like you've got some experience with this stuff.
   872. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 29, 2019 at 11:35 AM (#5865960)
My wife and I binged The Boys over the weekend. It was fine but made me frustrated that Amazon is throwing a ton of cash at it while cancelling The Tick (the best live action superhero entertainment ever). Aw, Danger Boat, I hardly knew ye...
   873. BrianBrianson Posted: July 29, 2019 at 11:48 AM (#5865969)
And of course, it's also sexist in an era when so many of the edgiest country singers are women: Miranda Lambert, Angaleena Presley, Becky Warren, Margo Price, Ashley Monroe, Mary Gauthier, even Kacey Musgraves, can I mention Lori McKenna, and I know I'm forgetting people.

Country music is no doubt sexist (indeed, as is everything), but edgy is not a synonym for good. Indeed, it's usually a euphemism for "kind of interesting, but not very good".
   874. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 29, 2019 at 11:54 AM (#5865974)
The animation is good too - I was braced for many more static shots and less impressionistic, experimental choices, but if anything the variety in the original has been refreshing. (E.g. the 'Shinji finds a schoolmate camping out in a field playing at soliders' episode has some very nice art to create atmosphere.)

Completely agree. The animation was really impressive. I really think this is a me problem. I have a hard time staring at a screen for more than five minutes at a time these days and Evangelion demands more than that.

Do you have any recommendations for me after I finish? The other Gainax shows, like FLCL seem like an obvious place to start, but it sounds like you've got some experience with this stuff.

FLCL is a pretty wonderful place to go next. It's very, very different from Evangelion, other than perhaps leaving a lot of things unsaid as to how the world works. In some ways, it's a deconstruction of traditional anime story telling. In another way, it really pushes anime to the brink of what it can be conceptually. I have not yet seen the new season but the first makes it a profoundly impactful anime despite only being 6 episodes long.

I've never been all that engaged with mech-based anime, but Gurren Lagann is well regarded.

The Ghost in the Shell movie is contemplative, darkly lit and plays with some deep philosophical questions. The TV show is a bit more action packed (and way brighter) but still true to the general vibe. Oh, and if you haven't seen Akira, well, definitely put that on the list.

Cowboy Bebop is going to have a similar color scheme, and the sense of just throwing you into something and never fully explaining, but is a very different show. However, it's also often chosen as the most accessible anime out there.

I'm now a huge Attack on Titan fan if you want another "chosen one faces an unbeatable enemy while the audience only has a vague sense of what's happening" type-story. It is an absolutely horrifying show at times though.

Sorry, I know this is pretty scattershot. I've only seen 3-4 Evangelion eps and there's so much to choose from and it's all now so available that it's hard for me to give you a really on point rec. As much as I love the genre, I've still only seen a very small percentage of what's out there (and most of that is firmly within the action genre). If you watch FLCL and you like it, I'll be able to better narrow things down (or, perhaps, expand things even more because I'm such a nerd).
   875. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 11:59 AM (#5865983)
I've been digging on Colter Wall recently, ever since his "Sleeping on the Blacktop" was used in the trailer for the Deadwood movie
   876. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 12:00 PM (#5865984)
@hunteryharris
brad pitt knew good and damn well he didn’t have to take his shirt off to fix that antenna. but he did that for us
   877. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 12:13 PM (#5865998)
I hate to overshadow H&U’s Peekskill Film Festival, but...

Martin Scorsese’s richly textured epic of American crime THE IRISHMAN, starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci, will World Premiere as the Opening Night selection of the 57th New York Film Festival on September 27.
   878. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 29, 2019 at 03:11 PM (#5866089)
Sorry, I know this is pretty scattershot. I've only seen 3-4 Evangelion eps and there's so much to choose from and it's all now so available that it's hard for me to give you a really on point rec. As much as I love the genre, I've still only seen a very small percentage of what's out there (and most of that is firmly within the action genre). If you watch FLCL and you like it, I'll be able to better narrow things down (or, perhaps, expand things even more because I'm such a nerd).

Much appreciated! I'll give FLCL a try after I finish my NGE run, and I'm sure I'll have opinions about it one way or another . . .
   879. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 29, 2019 at 03:44 PM (#5866097)
Much appreciated! I'll give FLCL a try after I finish my NGE run, and I'm sure I'll have opinions about it one way or another . . .

It would be hard not to have an opinion. One nice tie in is that FLCL is overflowing with love for baseball. Strongly encourage you to watch the post-credit previews as well, which have very little to do with the next episode but are very entertaining. I tend to skip those for most animes.
   880. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 03:55 PM (#5866100)
Never forget

Amazingly...it’s real.
   881. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 04:19 PM (#5866104)
“Old Town Road" is now the longest running #1 hit in Hot 100 history (17 weeks).
   882. Dog on the sidewalk has an ugly bracelet Posted: July 29, 2019 at 04:22 PM (#5866105)
And I think I've somehow managed to never hear a note of it.
   883. Lassus Posted: July 29, 2019 at 04:27 PM (#5866108)
Never forget
Amazingly...it’s real.

If only people were realistic and simply accepted that they and others will never do as well as those who came before.
   884. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 29, 2019 at 04:27 PM (#5866109)
“Old Town Road" is now the longest running #1 hit in Hot 100 history (17 weeks).

Ridin' on a tractor
Lean all in my bladder
Cheated on my baby
You can go and ask her
My life is a movie
Bull ridin' and boobies
Cowboy hat from Gucci
Wrangler on my booty

Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'
Can't nobody tell me nothin'
You can't tell me nothin'

Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more

This is where we're at as a culture, folks.
   885. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 05:14 PM (#5866132)
Ed Sheeran is Daniel Craig's top choice for Bond 25 theme—report
   886. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 29, 2019 at 05:27 PM (#5866139)
Well, I saw the thing comin' out of the sky
It had the one long horn, one big eye
I commenced to shakin' and I said "ooh-eee"
It looks like a purple eater to me
It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
(One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater)
A one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
Sure looks strange to me (one eye?)
Well he came down to earth and he lit in a tree
I said Mr. Purple People Eater, don't eat me
I heard him say in a voice so gruff
"I wouldn't eat you 'cause you're so tough"
It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
One-eyed, one-horned flyin' purple people eater
One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
Sure looks strange to me (one horn?)

This is where we were at as a culture, folks.
   887. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 29, 2019 at 05:30 PM (#5866143)
Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"And I'm about to put the hammer down."
'Cause we got a little convoy
Rockin' through the night.
Yeah, we got a little convoy,
Ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our convoy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.
We gonna roll this truckin' convoy
'Cross the U-S-A.
Convoy!

888. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 29, 2019 at 05:31 PM (#5866145)
There's this girl that's been on my mind
All the time, Su-Su-Sussudio oh oh
Now she don't even know my name
But I think she likes me just the same
Su-Su-Sussudio oh oh
Ah if she called me I'd be there
I'd come running anywhere
She's all I need, all my life
I feel so good if I just say the word
Su-Su-Sussudio, just say the word
Oh Su-Su-Sussudio
Now I know that I'm too young
My love has just begun
Su-Su-Sussudio oh oh
Oh give me a chance, give me a sign
I'll show her anytime
Su-Su-Sussudio oh oh
Ah, I've just got to have her, have her now
I've got to get closer but I don't know how
She makes me nervous and makes me scared
But I feel so good if I just say the word
Su-Su-Sussudio, just say the word
Oh Su-Su-Sussudio, oh

889. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 29, 2019 at 05:37 PM (#5866151)
I would argue that the latter two, while not at all good songs, are actually less dumb than Old Town Road. And Purple People Eater was from 1958, which was before pretty much anyone had figured out that you could say anything other than inanities in a pop song. But none of the three above are the longest-running chart-topper in history. Old Town Road is.

ETA: I don't think anyone wants to rehash this conversation, so I'll just leave it there.
   890. Davo Posted: July 29, 2019 at 06:14 PM (#5866161)
@LilNasX
it’s crazy how any baby born after march has not lived in a world where old town road wasn’t number 1
   891. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 29, 2019 at 08:53 PM (#5866193)

That happens in just about every scene in a video store / theater / movie studio in movies from the direct-to-video masters of the late-80s/early-90s (PM Entertainment, Full Moon Pictures).
   892. Howie Menckel Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:26 PM (#5866205)
Martin Scorsese’s richly textured epic of American crime THE IRISHMAN, starring Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, and Joe Pesci

that may sound ridiculous to some, but in NY/NJ the two cultures are joined at the hip.

Springsteen addresses this in his biography. His Italian-to-the-core mom (he's only 1/16th Dutch) and her 3 or 4 sisters all married Irishmen. he says that BITD, the Italian women knew they would run the marriage, but the Italian men wouldn't yield. so Irish it was. as we say in my Irish family, "We don't want any trouble."
:)

although in my mostly Irish and Italian neighborhood, it went both ways - sometimes Italian man and Irish gal. some of the resulting names of the wives were amusing.
   893. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 29, 2019 at 10:58 PM (#5866212)
that may sound ridiculous to some, but in NY/NJ the two cultures are joined at the hip.

Not to me, I grew up in Northern NJ.

The "other side of the tracks" (literally, in this case), was where most of my Irish and Italian friends families lived.

Don't know how true it still is, haven't been back in 15 years.
   894. manchestermets Posted: July 30, 2019 at 07:34 AM (#5866223)
Is the Irish/Italian thing not just a Catholic thing?
   895. Shooty would run in but these bone spurs hurt! Posted: July 30, 2019 at 07:59 AM (#5866228)
Yeah, I live in western Passaic county and it's a lot of Irish/Italian mix. Is anyone here from Bergen county? No offense, but you people are horrifying! :) There are a fair few immigrants from Bergen county where I'm from and I only know that because I have ####### ears!
   896. Cowboy Popup Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:17 AM (#5866234)
I can confirm Bergen county people suck.

Probably the wrong crowd for this but are there any really good Rod Stewart albums? It seems unlikely but I don't really know. I own the album he did with Jeff Beck, which is phenomenal, and I'm looking for something like his transition from killer rock vocalist to poppy ballads. I don't know if that exists.
   897. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: July 30, 2019 at 08:36 AM (#5866239)
AllMusic - Rod Stewart

Without greatly altering his approach, Rod Stewart perfected his blend of hard rock, folk, and blues on his masterpiece, Every Picture Tells a Story. Marginally a harder-rocking album than Gasoline Alley -- the Faces blister on the Temptations cover "(I Know I'm) Losing You," and the acoustic title track goes into hyper-drive with Mick Waller's primitive drumming -- the great triumph of Every Picture Tells a Story lies in its content. Every song on the album, whether it's a cover or original, is a gem, combining to form a romantic, earthy portrait of a young man joyously celebrating his young life. Of course, "Maggie May" -- the ornate, ringing ode about a seduction from an older woman -- is the centerpiece, but each song, whether it's the devilishly witty title track or the unbearably poignant "Mandolin Wind," has the same appeal. And the covers, including definitive readings of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow Is Such a Long Time" and Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe," as well as a rollicking "That's All Right," are equally terrific, bringing new dimension to the songs. It's a beautiful album, one that has the timeless qualities of the best folk, yet one that rocks harder than most pop music -- few rock albums are quite this powerful or this rich.
   898. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 30, 2019 at 09:14 AM (#5866250)
The Irishman could be hilariously bad. It seems there were significant issues with the CGI that creates youthing effects for these old buggers, which resulted in editing delays and increased costs. I've liked all the gangster work by these guys, but it feels like this is one too many bites of the apple.
   899. Davo Posted: July 30, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5866261)
@Uproxx
'Red Sonja' will be like 'Deadpool' and 'The Dark Knight,' says director Jill Soloway

900. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 30, 2019 at 09:38 AM (#5866262)
Is anyone here from Bergen county? No offense, but you people are horrifying! :)

What specifically makes them worse than any other suburban NY county?
Page 9 of 11 pages ‹ First  < 7 8 9 10 11 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.