Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, June 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (June 2019)

The 2018-19 TV season is history, so here’s [Deadline’s] annual list of summer premiere dates for new series and new seasons of returning shows. It covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming series bowing from mid-May through August in various dayparts.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 01, 2019 at 07:30 AM | 1297 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 > 
   1001. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 21, 2019 at 05:59 PM (#5854792)
I just learned that Andrew Bujalski—my favorite of the Mumblecore guys I listed above—is gonna write the live-action Lady and the Tramp remake for Disney.

That sounds like it should turn out far more awesomely ####### weird than it will, unfortunately ...
   1002. Davo Posted: June 21, 2019 at 06:07 PM (#5854796)
They had another Mumblecore guy (Alex Ross Perry) write the Christopher Robin movie. (Which, is Disney, right?)

It’s a choice...that’s for sure!
   1003. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 21, 2019 at 06:32 PM (#5854800)
That may also be true of Neil Young.

He'll

be

ok

1004. Omineca Greg Posted: June 21, 2019 at 06:51 PM (#5854803)
Classic Rock Hot Takes?

Oh yeah, I got those, baby! My takes are hot...check it and see, I've got a fever of one-twenty-three (which probably means I have brain damage, so take these with a grain of salt, or cocaine, or whatever).

Led Zep and Stairway to Heaven: Never really liked the Zeppelin. They seemed like dicks. The plagiarism, plagiarism is bad people. It's the blues for 70s white people on drugs. #### you 70s white people on drugs! Like post-hippie libertine people. I hate those people. Why not listen to some real blues that hasn't been custom-tailored to your demo and your pharmacological status? And I've always found how their fans slobber over the knob of their virtuosity really irritating (to be fair comes with the territory for post-hippies, I liked you ####### better when you wanted to get back to the country or the land that set your soul free or wherever, as long as I didn't have to see you). Not only is it irritating, it seems misplaced. They were no better than lots of bands, like tell me with a straight face that "Fool in the Rain" feels like a good samba to you. You can't...because it's terrible! Stan Getz tried to play a samba that bad, and the Brazilians in his band took him behind the barn and ###### him up...BAD!!! And he never did that #### again! That is one of the lamest pieces of #### songs I've ever heard! And that's one of their better ones!

"Oh, I've got a big dick and lemon juice shoots out of it...land of ice and snow...WHAAAAAAA! Big dick! Lemon! WHAAAAAA!". How someone can listen to that and respect themselves is beyond me. Led Zeppelin had one quality I can't take away from them; they knew how to bring together separate threads of music in new and exciting ways.

"When the Levee Breaks" is one of my favourite songs ever. "Stairway to Heaven" is great. English folk music/blues/hard rock, nobody had ever done anything like that ever. III and IV are great albums, even a hater like myself can't deny that.

But honestly...what an overrated band.

The Who: I guess they're alright. Yeah, the kids are alright, HA HA! You got me there! They inspired The Raspberries, so that's worth something, right?
Roger Daltrey is one of the great interpretive singers EVAH! He took all that overblown Townsend pomposity and made people believe in that ####. That man, (Daltrey, not Townsend) is a genius and should have his face on rock's Mt. Rushmore or Stonehenge (Where the banshees live and they do live well!) or whatever. "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy", and "Who's Next", besides that...well, not much there to be honest. And don't get me started on "Tommy" I've had a gaggle (no really, that's what they come in, a gaggle) of ############# parka-wearing Vespa-riding ############# tell me what that one all meant, and they've all got it wrong! "Such a supple wrist" doesn't mean you should master the art of jacking-off! I mean you can if you want, actually it's a really...wait for it...handy skill to have. But as if you wankers needed Pete to convince you. PUH...leeeeassse!

Stones: Last year, I started a project of listening to all the Stones' albums from beginning to end.

Didn't make it.

It started out well, I was digging it and all that, those guys were an excellent R&B band right from the get go. Each album was better than the last, they were becoming more distinctive, more "Stonesy" as it were, I was having an incredible time. But then...I got to..."Aftermath". Now, I was really looking forward to it, you know by reputation that's a great album. But, no word of a lie, this is how it went down...

The band is great. Mick? Mick sucks on that. The rest of them are awesome, creating British Blues right before my very ears. What a fantastic band. But Mick is jive, so bad, like a poseur bad. Now, to be fair, it doesn't help that their music is such that it begs a comparison to Bo Diddley and Howlin' Wolf and Solomon Burke, those were extremely talented people. It would be quite the feat to match those guys. But Mick is lousy beyond belief, and it's too bad, because Keith and the boys are crushing it. But the more I listened to it, the more repulsed I became by Jagger. I was actually getting angry at how out of place he sounded. What's next, "Between the Buttons"? I was really, really looking forward to that, but now I'm afraid...maybe Mick catches up, I know he does eventually...and maybe a part of it is political...I mean, Mick is playing the part of a dick, maybe you're supposed to think he's a bad-ass, but his self-absorbed misogyny is so annoying to me. One shouldn't be looking for enlightened attitudes on 60s rock records, because you might end up looking for a long time, but too much is too much, and the confluence of childishly immature takes on male/female relationships and Mick's pip-squeak ranting...couldn't do it...just couldn't do it...

Think I'm just ####### about?

OK...

Imagine this! 1966 Mick Jagger singing "Love Reign O'er Me". Imagine it...really work at it now.

OK, does that honestly sound good to you?

Don't lie! It's garbage and you know it!
   1005. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 21, 2019 at 07:05 PM (#5854805)
I suppose that it feels closer to Westernized tastes in some ways - relatively simplistic setup with minimum need for backstory and not a lot of convoluted lore. Plenty of surface-level selling points, distinctive character design, and so on. Not a huge run of episodes and a single narrative strand without reboots, spin-offs, etc. I would make a strong case for 'if you don't like Cowboy Bebop, there's a good chance you won't like most anime'.

That's very unscientific, but I think it's realistic.

I don't disagree with what you said here, but if I had to pick something about Bebop that made it particularly accessible, I'd say it's the dub. The language is natural and stylish and there's very little of the typical anime melodrama yelling. It doesn't sound like a translation. The voices of Spike and Edward are particularly great.

Since this is probably my anime window for the month, anyone watching either One Punch Man or Attack on Titan right now? The last Titan episode was mind blowing, completely exploded the narrative. One Punch Man is different this season but I think I still love it
   1006. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 21, 2019 at 07:07 PM (#5854806)
Oh dear, I'm not sure what triggered it, but we just witnessed the firepower of a fully armed and operational Omenica Greg ...

But, OG, "Fool in the Rain" is ####### great. Yeah, the "samba break" isn't what I would have done there, but you know what?

Employing John Bonham forgives a lot of sins ...
   1007. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 21, 2019 at 07:43 PM (#5854810)
"Oh, I've got a big dick and lemon juice shoots out of it...land of ice and snow...WHAAAAAAA! Big dick! Lemon! WHAAAAAA!". How someone can listen to that and respect themselves is beyond me.

Heh, I had a buddy who once argued that classic rock was better than rap because classic rock was more subtle about how it touted sexual conquest. And I used that exact song as a counterpoint. It was a pointless conversation, looking back on it.

Anyways, I'm not a huge Zepplin fan, but I'd take II over either III or IV. It is a silly album about dicks and hobbits but it's also 45 minutes of electric high energy rock, especially the closing three songs or so. Possibly the greatest beer pong album ever made and a good one to run to.

Fortunately I am long past respecting myself so I can still enjoy it from time to time.
   1008. Howie Menckel Posted: June 21, 2019 at 09:32 PM (#5854850)
no NHL thread, so what the heck. a real tweet:

Rob Taub
‏@RTaub_
1h1 hour ago

Jack Hughes becomes the first hockey player of Jewish descent to go number one overall in the #NHLDraft. He also becomes the first kid of Jewish descent to go first overall in any of the four major sports.
   1009. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: June 21, 2019 at 09:46 PM (#5854864)
Demi Moore at Royal Ascot? And all they discussed was her hat. So that was stupid. I am legit stupider for watching that. How do I spel mi nam?
   1010. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 12:31 AM (#5854906)
Hmm. I guess Sympathy for the Devil (snip) ... would be on my list.

There are certain songs that make me feel like Homer Simpson in this "Treehouse of Horror" scene.

Luckily, I'm not James Coco ...
   1011. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 12:42 AM (#5854909)
Speaking of which, I'd trade Stairway for Achilles' every day of the week and twice on Sunday ...

[edit] watching that video again, my favorite part is not the song (which I love), or the slapping (which I love), it's the look on 'The Hound's' face that reads ... "slap away, he's such a ####."

[edit2] and kudos to whatever half-baked genius came up with the idea of combining the two ... daft!
   1012. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 01:46 AM (#5854915)

25 years ago ... and Neil already looked like he'd been living in a van "Down By The River" for just as long ...
   1013. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 04:18 AM (#5854919)
He'll

be

ok

I keep 'em hopping until my ammunition's gone

Well, I'm a barrel of laughs with my carbine on
I keep 'em hopping until my ammunition's gone
But I'm still not happy
I feel like there's something wrong
I got the revolution blues
I see bloody fountains
And ten million dune buggies coming down the mountains
Well, I hear that Laurel Canyon is full of famous stars
But I hate them worse than lepers and I'll kill them in their cars
   1014. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 04:27 AM (#5854920)
All the bushleague batters
Are left to die on the diamond.
In the stands the home crowd scatters
For the turnstiles,
For the turnstiles,
For the turnstiles.
   1015. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 04:50 AM (#5854924)
Back in Canada I spent my days
Riding subways through a haze
I was handcuffed,
I was born & raised
Son, don't be home too late
Try to get back by eight
Son, don't wait
till the break of day
'Cause you know
how time fades away.
Time fades away
You know how time fades away.

Neil has On the Beach and Time Fades Away, he'll do ok in the deep-cut count ...
   1016. PreservedFish Posted: June 22, 2019 at 08:30 AM (#5854930)
"Fool in the Rain" is absolutely terrible. So is "All of My Love." It's bizarre to me that they are among the most commonly played Zeppelin songs.
   1017. PreservedFish Posted: June 22, 2019 at 08:54 AM (#5854933)
I mean, not that that's unusual. David Bowie gets stuck with "Let's Dance" and "China Girl" and "Fame" and yet you'll never hear "Life on Mars?" We're talking about a format that thinks that Foreigner and Steve Miller Band had more hits than Bob Dylan and even Black Sabbath.

I swore by classic rock radio for a year or two in my teens, and the phenomenon remains depressingly fascinating to me.
   1018. Omineca Greg Posted: June 22, 2019 at 09:18 AM (#5854937)
Speaking of which, I'd trade Stairway for Achilles' every day of the week and twice on Sunday ...

I listened to that all the way through, just for you. But it was hard for me, no, I'm not joshing, I really don't like it. I'd heard it before, of course, but as I didn't like it the first times I heard, I've been avoiding it, which is pretty easy.

It's got everything I don't like about the Zep Men.

The Bonham lick that would be cool if it didn't go on for so long.

To give them credit, they didn't steal the words and music wholesale from someone else; just the story. For Robert Plant that's spiritual progress.

And the self mythologising...going into tax exile is not the same as the Ἰλιάς, it's just not. What kind of egomaniac would think that it was? ####### rich people. Steal others' work and then get out of paying their fair share by travelling the world, and then making out like it's something heroic. So sleazy...so sleazy. And like honest question, when you get injured, do you immediately compare yourself to the coolest person to ever have a similar injury? Like, my knee's been bothering me, so I don't immediately start to sing "I'm the Harold Baines of Baking, baby, WHAAAAAAA! One day I'm going to be in that most Famous Hall, and I'd say cue up the Grieg, but it's in B minor, and I can never B minor, I can only B major.............WHAAAAAAA!"

I mean...I did, but I was joking! Being facetious, like!

In all seriousness, it's interesting to me what different people like. For me, usually it's an ex post facto activity, like for old Achilles' Last Stand, it was hard for me to make it to the end, that's how little I enjoyed it. That's a visceral reaction, not an intellectual one. I try to like everything put in front of me...except Nazi ####...and pedo ####...OK, let's amend that to "I try to like everything put in front of me, except things that are against my core values." When I put Achilles' Last Stand on, I was trying to like it, you told me you love it, and I'm only cheating myself if I turn away good stuff just to make a point. But I did not like it, it made me squirm in my seat. That's maybe interesting to you, maybe not, after all, what do you care about my perceptions and feelings, that's but a minor...curiosity...to you. But for me it's very interesting, intriguing even. There's something about Led Zeppelin that sets me off, and I can only engage positively with a small subset of their creation. And I think it's dangerous to assume too much about the "why", I'm sure it's complicated.

Employing John Bonham forgives a lot of sins ...

It's funny, Robert and Jimmy's first choice for drum chair in Zep was BJ Wilson, and I think he is one of the great rock drummers, played with Procol Harum. I'm with Robert and Jimmy for once (and maybe just this once ever, so mark it on your calendar), I like BJ better than Bonham too. Let's see if I can pull up a Wilson track...OK, how 'bout this one.
   1019. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5854974)
In all seriousness, it's interesting to me what different people like. For me, usually it's an ex post facto activity, like for old Achilles' Last Stand, it was hard for me to make it to the end, that's how little I enjoyed it. That's a visceral reaction, not an intellectual one. I try to like everything put in front of me...except Nazi ####...and pedo ####...OK, let's amend that to "I try to like everything put in front of me, except things that are against my core values." When I put Achilles' Last Stand on, I was trying to like it, you told me you love it, and I'm only cheating myself if I turn away good stuff just to make a point. But I did not like it, it made me squirm in my seat. That's maybe interesting to you, maybe not, after all, what do you care about my perceptions and feelings, that's but a minor...curiosity...to you. But for me it's very interesting, intriguing even. There's something about Led Zeppelin that sets me off, and I can only engage positively with a small subset of their creation. And I think it's dangerous to assume too much about the "why", I'm sure it's complicated.

As I get closer to the end (and here at BBTF, you and I and everyone are all closer to the end than the beginning) I've just come to the point where I don't mostly care what other people think about the art that I like, all I ask is that they give it an honest try.

You did ... and you didn't like it. No worries, it won't change my enjoyment when I listen to it and you can safely say you never need to listen to it again.

But trying to figure out "why"? People just have different tastes ... ####, some people like mayonnaise.

I ain't promising you nothing extra.
   1020. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: June 22, 2019 at 02:14 PM (#5854975)
It's really amazing how these things happen.
I realized I was old in 2005; had just moved and was driving around town, flipping around the dial looking for some good stations. Turned up Pearl Jam's "Alive", and was very surprised at the end when the DJ announced I was listening to 104.5, home of classic rock.
   1021. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 02:17 PM (#5854976)

It's funny, Robert and Jimmy's first choice for drum chair in Zep was BJ Wilson, and I think he is one of the great rock drummers, played with Procol Harum. I'm with Robert and Jimmy for once (and maybe just this once ever, so mark it on your calendar), I like BJ better than Bonham too. Let's see if I can pull up a Wilson track...OK, how 'bout this one.

Drumming is fine.

Song is ... well, what did you write above?

"It made me squirm in my seat".

Another fun random drummer fact ... Aynsley Dunbar lost out on the gig drumming for the JHE (to Mitch Mitchell) on a coin flip. An interesting "what if" scenario ...
   1022. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 22, 2019 at 02:38 PM (#5854982)
(and here at BBTF, you and I and everyone are all closer to the end than the beginning)

Gosh, I ####### hope that's not the case...
   1023. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 02:56 PM (#5854985)
Gosh, I ####### hope that's not the case...

Which part?

Because pretty much everybody, if not EVERYBODY here is on the other side of 40 (if not 50).

Some of you will be around to double that (hey! medicine and technology!), but count me out.

Luckily, I live in SoCal, the desert is close ...
   1024. Omineca Greg Posted: June 22, 2019 at 03:24 PM (#5854989)
Aynsley Dunbar lost out on the gig drumming for the JHE (to Mitch Mitchell) on a coin flip. An interesting "what if" scenario ...

I love Dunbar's playing.

But trying to figure out "why"? People just have different tastes ...

Well, probably in this format, the public posting on a forum, it's a fool's errand. It's a difficult to say, "I don't like that" without it seeming to question someone else's taste (and heck, sometimes it is meant that way), and often the relationship people form with music or literature or film or what have you, that becomes a personal thing, like it's a part of the person, so it's a path that's fraught with danger. So maybe not much point.

But like I said, when I actively dislike something, often the reasons are unknown to me at the time. I just have a negative reaction, and sometimes an intense one, but it can be just as interesting to parse out feelings with things that I have an aversion to than it is to sit and there and wallow in the things I like. And in a perfect world, having the opportunity to talk to somebody on the other side of the coin, talking to an apologist for something, it would be helpful to sort through those reactions.

On Procol: You know, I really don't like them as much as I used to. Things change with time, 30 years ago I thought they were just about the greatest thing. Now? Not really. I might even get more out of Trower's solo work, which surprises me, but what can you do? But there's one song of theirs I still love, it seems to me to capture a spirit of storytelling that means a lot to me now, far more than it did half a lifetime ago. It's not Gary Brooker, but Matthew Fisher, who sings it, his last song with the band before he quit (the rest of the guys screwed him on "Whiter Shade of Pale" royalties, which of course is a considerable amount of money), and even if the lyrics are still Keith Reid, there's an elegiac quality I like that seems to fit the circumstance. And the last verse, I think it's a good take on a feeling I sometimes get. But then again, I get people to listen to it, and I've never had anybody say, "Ah-hah! So true!" but always more of a shrug and a "So what"...

I sat me down to write a simple story
Which maybe in the end became a song
The words have all been writ by one before me
We're taking turns in trying to pass them on
Oh, we're taking turns in trying to pass them on

Fisher/Reid
   1025. Srul Itza Posted: June 22, 2019 at 03:37 PM (#5854993)
pretty much everybody, if not EVERYBODY here is on the other side of 40 (if not 50).

Children

I'm surrounded by children.
   1026. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 04:43 PM (#5855016)
Children

I'm surrounded by children.

You can get in line behind Jolly ...
   1027. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 05:02 PM (#5855019)
I love Dunbar's playing.

As do I; you didn't get hired to play with Frank if you couldn't ####### cut it, even if, sometimes, his choice in style wasn't what you (or I) would have chosen (see my post on the last page) ...

But The JHE would have been ... different with Aynsley on the kit and since I think the Jimi/Mitch combo is seriously underrated, like I said, an interesting "what if" scenario ...
   1028. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 05:11 PM (#5855021)
But like I said, when I actively dislike something, often the reasons are unknown to me at the time. I just have a negative reaction, and sometimes an intense one, but it can be just as interesting to parse out feelings with things that I have an aversion to than it is to sit and there and wallow in the things I like. And in a perfect world, having the opportunity to talk to somebody on the other side of the coin, talking to an apologist for something, it would be helpful to sort through those reactions.

Oh, absolutely. And the next time I'm in Omineca, or you're in the OC, I'd be happy to sit down for beers, wine, cider or mead and discuss the hell out of it with you.

Online?

I type slower than ####, so every *conversation* I might like to have, is two pages behind before I can have it ...

Which, honestly (and it is what it is) feeds into my "you do you" ethos ... at least when discussing art.

1029. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: June 22, 2019 at 05:21 PM (#5855026)
74th straight year the queen attended each day of Royal Ascot. There are streaks and then there is Queen Elizabeth's love of horses. Quite the cheer at the conclusion of the Brit anthem.
   1030. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 22, 2019 at 06:26 PM (#5855053)
But The JHE would have been ... different with Aynsley on the kit and since I think the Jimi/Mitch combo is seriously underrated, like I said, an interesting "what if" scenario

I love Mitch Mitchell's drumming. His work on "Manic Depression" is one of my favorite drum performances in all of rock.
   1031. Davo Posted: June 22, 2019 at 11:06 PM (#5855116)
   1032. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 22, 2019 at 11:46 PM (#5855124)

I love Mitch Mitchell's drumming. His work on "Manic Depression" is one of my favorite drum performances in all of rock.

Mitch was stone cold. Just like Jimi, he got a little "round around the edges" at the end ... but 66/67/68 Mitch was a knife-wielding-don't-mind-me-I'
m-just-gonna-kill-the-Night-King-Day-of-the-Jackal-type-assassin ############.

So, so quick.
   1033. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: June 23, 2019 at 12:13 AM (#5855127)
990/991-yep, that’s the bit. It’d be a great karaoke song (for me) otherwise but... uh, pass.
   1034. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 23, 2019 at 12:23 AM (#5855128)
So ... since I'm in a Hendrix mood ... worst "iconic" concert performances ever?

I'll throw a couple out to start

#1 The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Monterey Pop Festival

There aren't many things I can attempt to claim authority to on here on BBTF, but this is one: I've heard more Hendrix (especially *live* Hendrix) than you.

I get why this show is iconic, to have SEEN it (especially since almost nobody in the US knew what they were in for) would have been amazing; but, and I mean this literally, I have *listened* to several hundred Hendrix performances and this is in the running for dullest of all time, because it was very obviously about the visual performance and not the playing. Which was lovely and all, but the JHE did that over in England and still managed to pull off more than this.

It's not *bad*, not even close; #### knows he played far, FAR worse shows, but those were almost always due to drugs or some weird Jimi-fit-of-pique (usually exacerbated by the preceeding), it's just so, so boring. I'm sure "Wild Thing" was a blast to see live, but it isn't to listen to.

Gun to my head, "Can't You See Me?" is my pick from the show to play again, but I'm probably the only sad bastard here who can even reference the song ...

Next up ... Santana, Woodstock
   1035. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 23, 2019 at 12:44 AM (#5855130)
worst "iconic" concert performances ever

That should probably be "most overrated iconic performances ever", because I don't think any of these I'll put out are anywhere near "worst".
   1036. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: June 23, 2019 at 05:44 AM (#5855138)
Which part?

Because pretty much everybody, if not EVERYBODY here is on the other side of 40 (if not 50).

I'm no longer what you could call a "regular" commenter here, simply because I've gotten older and my interests have narrowed, leaving little time for sports - it's all film and music and lit and art etc. - but I just turned 30 and I suspect I might be among the youngest, if not the very youngest, people here above a certain threshold of posts. When I started browsing this site, I believe I was 17, and I'm certain I was by far the youngest then...
   1037. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 23, 2019 at 05:52 AM (#5855139)
"White Memory" by Culenasm. Japanese shoegaze with just about the right mixture of loud, aggressive guitars and pretty vocals.
   1038. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: June 23, 2019 at 06:13 AM (#5855140)
How do you feel about blackgaze, vortex? Because I spent the last couple of years so distracted by life that I hadn't realized, until the other day, that I'd missed an entire album by Deafheaven, and have been obsessed with it since.
   1039. Omineca Greg Posted: June 23, 2019 at 12:58 PM (#5855154)
That should probably be "most overrated iconic performances ever", because I don't think any of these I'll put out are anywhere near "worst".

That's tough, the only one that immediately comes to mind is "Ellington at Newport", and it's not like there's anything wrong with it in the slightest, but more that people treat it like it saved Duke's career. Which if true, well, that's good; post-'56 Ellington had lots of great music in him, so I'm glad it worked out that way. But to me, it's just another awesome Ellington show.

But let me think of live albums that have lead to heated discussions with my friends...

Any live archival recording by Miles or Trane: I think people are just so happy that the recordings exist, that their importance and overall quality is overstated. I tend to be the downer here, with my "Sure, it's good but the stuff officially released at the time is better..." line, but every once in awhile I'll have the other side of it with, "No, no. This is important music. a revelation." Let's pick on the Olatunji Concert. I am very glad this recording exists, but this is far, far, from the best music ever recorded. Still though, if you're a Coltrane fan, you need to hear it, and certainly whenever anything gets discovered and released, it's hard not to get caught up in the sense of occasion.

Take No Prisoners, Lou Reed: HA HA! Lou, you make me laugh. Lou cracks wise, kind of like the episode of The Simpsons when Krusty goes "Adult", while all the while, his band vamps behind him. I like it, after all, spending time with an opinionated, self-indulgent ####### is part of the Lou Reed experience, and this is like Lou 100% uncut. Others may not be so enthused. "Little Joe? Little Joe was an idiot. Everyone was trying to go to bed with him, and he barely could untie his shoes, take off his clothes.

Budokan, Bob Dylan: HA HA HA! One extra "HA!" Bob, you're even funnier than Lou. No, seriously! I dunno, the arguments here get to be very meta, very quickly.

Alchemy, Dire Straits: Dire Straits...I don't really like them anyway, and to be fair, it's just like regular Dire Straits, but more so. So presumably people who like them will love it, and people who dislike them will hate it. That's the trenchant kind of observation you've come to expect from me.

Arc-Weld, Neil Young: Yeah, baby. This is the goods. But man, that "Arc" disc will clear a room faster than anything short of a tear gas attack.

Miles of Aisles, Joni Mitchell: Shut up, hippie! Joni's put away her folk affectations and done gone jazz fusion. "Miles of Aisles" pisses off hippies no end, so guess how I feel about it? SUCK IT, HIPPIE!!!

OK, one more...

The Solo Album, Sonny Rollins. You know, you think this would be good. But man, it's polarising, and it's just like Joni says, "I've looked at 'The Solo Album' from both sides now." I'm not really sure why it gets such scathing reviews in some places. If you can listen to Braxton or [Roscoe] Mitchell solo without accompaniment indefinitely, than Rollins should be a walk in the park. But it's not, it begins to feel like it's just going on and on and on. I guess those free guys must really have some talent and innovation after all, eh? But still, Rollins' solo album isn't the disaster it's sometimes made out to be.
   1040. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 23, 2019 at 01:53 PM (#5855162)
Arc-Weld, Neil Young: Yeah, baby. This is the goods. But man, that "Arc" disc will clear a room faster than anything short of a tear gas attack.

I love Neil Young (see above), I love Weld, I love distortion and feedback, but Arc is ... well, it's something.

I think if I owned a bar, it would be my "it's 1:55 AM, finish your beers and get the #### out" go to.

Anyone who would willingly stick around afterwards is both someone I should know and should probably avoid ...

A little live Coltrane to cleanse the palate ...

I think that '63 Euro tour is peak Coltrane for me. Just the perfect combination of players, performances and songs.

1041. Omineca Greg Posted: June 23, 2019 at 05:59 PM (#5855203)
I think that '63 Euro tour is peak Coltrane for me. Just the perfect combination of players, performances and songs.

Coltrane is unique in the speed he went through the progression in his artistic evolution. And not only was he changing quickly, but he was discovering things that needed more investigation, profound things in jazz expression. He was discarding ideas before they had really been settled or codified. And right to this day, musicians have been going back and spending years and years working on a stage of Coltrane's work that may have only lasted months. His early death was crushing, in that people had come to rely on him for finding so much good stuff. It was like a flow chart...

(1). Watch for John Coltrane to do something incredible.
(2). Wait for John Coltrane to move onto something new.
(3). Play what John Coltrane was doing in 1, and build on that, he was done with it.

So without (1)...the whole scene was left without leadership.

For a Rock music comparison, "Help!", "Rubber Soul", "Revolver", "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" is the same thing. August 6th, 1965 to May 26th, 1967. 650 days. It won't happen like that again.
   1042. Davo Posted: June 23, 2019 at 09:45 PM (#5855241)
   1043. Davo Posted: June 23, 2019 at 09:47 PM (#5855243)
   1044. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 23, 2019 at 10:27 PM (#5855260)
How do you feel about blackgaze, vortex? Because I spent the last couple of years so distracted by life that I hadn't realized, until the other day, that I'd missed an entire album by Deafheaven, and have been obsessed with it since.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with it. I absolutely love shoegaze, but I'm not a fan of black metal (or thrash metal, or speed metal, or the more extreme metal genres - just personal preference), so I haven't really looked into it. Based on your post, I do plan to listen to Deafheaven's "Sunbather" and "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" to see if I'd like them. Thanks.
   1045. Alex meets the threshold for granular review Posted: June 24, 2019 at 04:49 AM (#5855276)
To be honest, I'm not familiar with it. I absolutely love shoegaze, but I'm not a fan of black metal (or thrash metal, or speed metal, or the more extreme metal genres - just personal preference), so I haven't really looked into it. Based on your post, I do plan to listen to Deafheaven's "Sunbather" and "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" to see if I'd like them. Thanks.

Please do, two of the finest albums of the 2000s so far imo. I gradually found my way to black metal by first being into shoegaze big-time and finding my way to blackgaze, as well as approaching metal from the more extreme end of the spectrum, such that I'm nuts about powerviolence/grindcore e.g. Nails, Full of Hell, etc. these days as well. Plus there's some post-rock or experimental bands that incorporate noise/drone/metal elements that I'm nuts about, namely Swans and Have a Nice Life. But yeah...Sunbather was a game-changer, and Ordinary Corrupt Human Love is absolutely beautiful too. If you enjoy those and can dig the more uncompromisingly heavy ####, go for New Bermuda as well. It's not quite as good, but it absolutely crushes.
   1046. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 24, 2019 at 07:02 AM (#5855277)
Beset by hayfever, I retreated to the early/mid-90s last weekend with rewatches of Sneakers, Crimson Tide, and parts of Our Friends in the North, the last of which I strongly recommend for those with time on their hands. Also some of The Armando Iannucci Shows, which I can't imagine would travel well, but do have some excellent sequences. The episode on aging is particularly timely with my 40th rapidly approaching.
   1047. PreservedFish Posted: June 24, 2019 at 07:23 AM (#5855278)
I too am going to give blackgaze a listen, although today seems like the wrong time to do it, as it's a lovely sunny day and I'm currently surrounded by the calls of songbirds.
   1048. the Centaur Nipple Paradox (CoB). Posted: June 24, 2019 at 07:35 AM (#5855281)
Black Metal?

Black Metal

1049. Greg K Posted: June 24, 2019 at 08:20 AM (#5855282)
Which part?

Some of you will be around to double that (hey! medicine and technology!), but count me out.

Luckily, I live in SoCal, the desert is close ...

I'm 36. Though I'm pretty sure I'm more than half done.
   1050. BrianBrianson Posted: June 24, 2019 at 09:42 AM (#5855291)
Normally, I'd call an edit of Avengers where all the characters who weren't white guys edited out an obvious /r/thathappened (and Davo, it's the 21st century, don't assume the editor is a man, women and intersexed individuals can use computers too, you know)

But then I recalled I'd seen it teased, and wanted it more than anything.

So, perhaps.
   1051. BrianBrianson Posted: June 24, 2019 at 09:43 AM (#5855292)

And for the record
   1052. Davo Posted: June 24, 2019 at 10:46 AM (#5855309)
   1053. Davo Posted: June 24, 2019 at 10:52 AM (#5855312)
Changes in no particular order:

* No Hawkeye training his daughter. Young women should learn skills to become good wives and mothers, and leave the fighting to men.
* Women in final battle severely reduced. They should be at home taking care of their kids.
   1054. Nasty Nate Posted: June 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM (#5855316)
Peaked? Peaked? Mmm.
Let me tell you something.
I haven't even begun to peak.
And when I do peak, you'll know.
Because I'm gonna peak so hard that everybody on BBTF's gonna feel it.
I'm in my prime.
   1055. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM (#5855318)

I guess the community stopped adding younger folks, or maybe folks in general? Because I was young here when I started posting 17ish years ago. I find it hard to believe that I am still young for this site at 34. Or that I've been posting here for half my life.

The new season of Archer isn't all that bad. But I think the show has run its course, it rarely feels fresh any more despite the cast remaining as talented as they've ever been.

Don't know if video games count as "pop culture" but MLB the Show 19 is amazing. I could use more information about my player (doing Road to the Show) but the game play is phenomenal.
   1056. Davo Posted: June 24, 2019 at 11:02 AM (#5855319)
I’m 33. If I were a baseball player I’d be in my decline.
   1057. PreservedFish Posted: June 24, 2019 at 11:23 AM (#5855322)
38 and feeling great. When you spend your 20s in not particularly good shape, it's easy to peak at a late age. I know I can't sprint nearly as fast as I used to, and I presume my reactions and such are slower, but generally speaking I'm in the best shape of my life.
   1058. BrianBrianson Posted: June 24, 2019 at 11:49 AM (#5855328)
1042/1050- Here’s a thread from a woman who watched the Red Pill/Alt-Right-Incel/Branson fan-edit of AVENGERS: ENDGAME. Includes video!

So we know that one person watched it, and that person is a woman. This slightly shifts my Bayesian priors towards the person who produced the edit also being a woman ;)

If you encounter the counter-backlash in the wild, but not the backlash, the backlash is probably manufactured to enable the counter-backlash (certainly, this has become a pretty standard marketing tool). It's possible, of course, it's trolling, but it seems like a lot of effort for trolling.
   1059. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 24, 2019 at 04:21 PM (#5855456)
Back in the early to mid 90s, when I sometimes listened to "Classic Rock" radio, the Top Songs were always Layla, Stairway, and Rod Stewart's Maggie Mae, in some order. Though I was in my 40s, I was usually listening to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, The Waterboys...

Alas, all songs eventually become Oldies. So do most of their listeners.

Unfortunately, I am no longer in the Best Shape of My Life; that was in my 50s. Now, in addition to the chronically bad feet (bunion, arthritis) which I've had forever I have a cranky hip, a sore shoulder, and a strained hamstring which refuses to get better.

BUT THE BBTF CENTRAL PARK SOFTBALL GAME WILL GO ON!!!

1060. Davo Posted: June 24, 2019 at 07:12 PM (#5855506)
New York Public Library is canceling its subscription to the streaming service Kanopy.
A take-
@helenafleabody
FilmStruck, MoviePass, and Kanopy's collective success/demise suggests that the real debate was never about the cinema v. home viewing, but license owners v. the common cinephile. The sustainability of these companies/their 'noble' partnerships are predicated on limited viewers.
   1061. Davo Posted: June 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM (#5855634)
NYT article on the Kanopy decision
In a statement, the New York Public Library said, “We believe the cost of Kanopy makes it unsustainable,” adding that it would use its resources to purchase “more in-demand collections such as books and e-books.” The Brooklyn and Queens libraries also cited what they said were Kanopy’s rising costs in dropping the service. (...)

Because the libraries pay about $2 per movie “play” — watching at least 30 seconds of a film constitutes a play — a growing number of cardholders using the service for free increases costs for the library. And though Kanopy said it does have capped pricing options, the New York Public Library said the cap it was offered was too high.
   1062. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 25, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5855699)
I signed up for a Kanopy account with the Brooklyn library. But I never used it. I love movies, but I just don't watch them very often at home. Glad to know I wasn't actually costing the library anything.
   1063. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:01 PM (#5855707)
The New York Times recently ran a big conglomeration of interview quotes about changing media from two dozen film creators and executives, titled How Will the Movies (As We Know Them) Survive the Next 10 Years?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/20/movies/movie-industry-future.html

Some of those quotes:

ANTHONY RUSSO
Director, “Avengers: Endgame”
There were 350 more movies released theatrically in the United States last year than there were when “Avatar” came out in 2009. The same thing’s happening on television. There just used to be fewer of everything — fewer movie stars, too — and when the numbers start to get up this high, you start to lose the trees for the forest.

BARRY JENKINS
Director, “Moonlight,” “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Five years ago, you couldn’t just get on your laptop and find Claire Denis films. Now you can, which is a really awesome thing and better for the world, for sure. But there’s a trade-off.

KUMAIL NANJIANI
Actor and co-writer, “The Big Sick”
This is very cynical, but I think the standard of quality for people who watch stuff at home is not the same. If you go see “Avengers” in the theater, it better be great, but if you’re just watching stuff at home, it doesn’t matter so much. I don’t want to diss on Netflix too much, because they make amazing stuff, and they’re giving shots to people who would not have been given shots 10 years ago, but I also think Netflix would rather have five things that people kind of like than one thing people really love.

…I was at a bar with a friend who directs big movies, and while we were in line for the bathroom, he was saying that movie theaters were going to go away. He was like, “Kids don’t watch movies, they watch YouTube.” Which I thought was crazy. So he goes, “Watch this.” There was a girl in front of us in line, and he said, “Hey, excuse me, what’s your favorite movie?” And she said, “I don’t watch movies.” Just randomly, he picked someone — and she was like 25, she wasn’t a child or anything. We were like, “Well, do any of your friends watch movies?” And she said, “Not really.”

FRANKLIN LEONARD
Founder, the Black List for unproduced screenplays
I’m an associate member of the academy, and it’s my belief that the Oscars and the academy, generally, should be about celebrating exceptional motion pictures wherever they exist. The notion that the Oscars should be limited to films that get an exclusive theatrical window is, to me, limiting the number of films that can be considered based on their artistic merit.

…What happens when you have a generation with the sort of education that we had long deified people like Quentin Tarantino for having because they worked in a video store, or lived close to a movie theater where indie films were playing? For a very long time, Hollywood functioned as a choke point. Now that people have access to that education, paired with the shifts in the industry that are opening up more opportunities, I think we are on the brink of a remarkable period in film and television that’s going to be unlike anything we’ve seen before.

JASON BLUM
Producer, “Get Out,” “Whiplash”
What I find striking is how much they’re watching pieces of things: “I saw some of that movie.” They’re multitasking while they’re watching the things that we’re making. That’s not what we want, but by the same token, I don’t subscribe to the notion that you should mandate how young people watch what you’re doing. That’s an arrogant position. If they watch half of my horror movie, I’m glad they watched half as opposed to not watching any of it!

AVA DuVERNAY
Director, “Selma,” “A Wrinkle in Time”
My nieces and nephews don’t really care about produced content in the way that we do traditionally — my niece can sit there and watch IGTV for hours, which is on her phone, on Instagram, and it’s basically little clips of nothing. That’s why, when I hear people being so rigid and so strict about certain forms and presentations, it just reminds me of that “Simpsons” cartoon, “Old Man Yells at Cloud.”
   1064. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:14 PM (#5855714)
I was at a bar with a friend who directs big movies, and while we were in line for the bathroom, he was saying that movie theaters were going to go away.
So (a) there was a line for the men's room, and (b) two male friends went to the bathroom together?

I call BS.
   1065. Davo Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:23 PM (#5855716)
I’m of the view that it’s basically dead as a major adult art form, but am not upset about it. I can spend the rest of my life watching the movies that already exist and won’t even come close to scratching the surface of all that’s available.
   1066. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:24 PM (#5855717)
Could have been the end of a film.

But "End of Movies" stories have only been around for a shorter time than "End of Baseball" stories because baseball is older.
   1067. The Run Fairy Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:29 PM (#5855721)
What I find striking is how much they’re watching pieces of things: “I saw some of that movie.” They’re multitasking while they’re watching the things that we’re making.

I once read an Orson Welles interview where he claimed people were watching movies that way long ago: arrive to one movie late, lose interest, switch theatres, catch the end of something else etc... it might've been the same interview where he argued that Cecil B. DeMille invented the fascist salute, but it was still an interesting claim. I also saw a documentary that argued that Psycho fundamentally changed how people watched movies, because Hitchcock wanted theatres to refuse entry to any latecomers, and the whole idea of needing to arrive on time to a movie was an innovative concept.
   1068. Lassus Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:38 PM (#5855726)
Also, people have watched part of movies since HBO and VHS was a thing. That's not even new.
   1069. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5855735)
the whole idea of needing to arrive on time to a movie was an innovative concept.
Later to be replaced by the even more innovative "We're not going to tell you exactly when the movie starts, but first you have to sit through approximately 30 minutes of commercials and previews."
   1070. BrianBrianson Posted: June 25, 2019 at 02:50 PM (#5855739)
I think it's certainly true that "on demand" media has really destroyed my willingness to pay to see mediocre movies in theatres - and perhaps to some extent, good movies that don't at all benefit from "Big Screen"-ness. Big, blockbuster action/SciFi - can really benefit from a big screen. There are few things like watching Jurassic Park at the Drive In. But if My Dinner With Andre came out today, would I really pay extra to see it on a big screen? Probably not.
   1071. jmurph Posted: June 25, 2019 at 03:21 PM (#5855777)
Also, people have watched part of movies since HBO and VHS was a thing. That's not even new.

This is obviously not remotely comparable to streaming. Until like 15ish years ago, HBO was a single channel available in real time only. And VHS required either purchasing or going to a physical store to rent- the idea that you'd travel to a Blockbuster to rent a movie and then just give up on it after 2 minutes because it didn't grab you is a little far-fetched (I mean, a few times, sure, but not multiple times per night, multiple nights per week).
   1072. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 25, 2019 at 04:25 PM (#5855796)
I once read an Orson Welles interview where he claimed people were watching movies that way long ago: arrive to one movie late, lose interest, switch theatres, catch the end of something else etc...
There was a lot of that sort of thing in the silent era. You might just decide to go to the movies without have a real idea of what was showing or when it started. You might only be there for the air conditioning. There were lots of shorts so if you lost interest you could just chat with people or get up and wander around until the next one started. Generally there was a lot more talking than there was later on. Some movies were shown in conjunction with vaudeville shows, so maybe you weren't there for the movie (or the air conditioning) at all.
   1073. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 25, 2019 at 04:32 PM (#5855801)
There was a lot of that sort of thing in the silent era. ... Generally there was a lot more talking than there was later on.
I'm gonna guess that the turning point was when the movies started having sound.
   1074. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 25, 2019 at 04:41 PM (#5855807)
Funny how that worked.

It would be interesting to see what went on inside theaters during the very first talkies. Did people adjust right away? Was it spontaneous or was a lot of shushing involved? (Someone probably has an answer for this, I just don't know it.)
   1075. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2019 at 05:17 PM (#5855826)
In future years the dividing lines between film, television, Youtube and Snapchat will all become blurrier and less important. The entire industry will continue to fracture into different niches. There will be much artistic success and even brilliance, although it'll be tougher to track and to agree on due to the fractures. I know that's a #banaltake but it's probably all true.

There were 350 more movies released theatrically in the United States last year than there were when “Avatar” came out in 2009.

I was under the impression that the opposite was happening - that major studio releases, at least, have steadily dwindled. So what are all these other releases? Given that nobody has really noticed much of a surge in independent/foreign film ticket sales, does this mean that for some unimportant reason there are now dramatically more unnoticed, low-impact, low-sale movie releases?
   1076. Davo Posted: June 25, 2019 at 05:46 PM (#5855834)
My guess—which is just that—is that the vast majority of these 350 new “theatrical releases” from 2019 were in fact released in 2-3 NYC theaters for one weekend. I’d be surprised to learn that your average guy in Dubuque had anywhere close to 350 more movies screen in his town last year. If anything I would bet that number has decreased.
   1077. Hot Wheeling American Posted: June 25, 2019 at 05:56 PM (#5855838)
Agreed. The type of small movie with no advertising budget (but often with a name actor/actress) that you see in the 'In Theaters' tab of your cable's on demand/PPV section. And weeks earlier it was in the IFC Center for a week or two.
   1078. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2019 at 06:08 PM (#5855843)
I’d be surprised to learn that your average guy in Dubuque had anywhere close to 350 more movies screen in his town last year. If anything I would bet that number has decreased.

Me too.

There could also be other quirks - like say for some reason there are twice as many Indian releases in the US as there were a decade ago.
   1079. Davo Posted: June 25, 2019 at 06:56 PM (#5855849)
BoxOfficeMojo has some figures:

1994- 123 movies were played in 1000+ different US movie theaters (which I’ll use as shorthand for “could be seen on a big screen in Iowa”)
1999- 134
2004- 134
2009 - 146
2014 - 134
2017- 139
2018- 151

1080. Davo Posted: June 25, 2019 at 09:28 PM (#5855899)
@Netflix
We're sad that NBC has decided to take The Office back for its own streaming platform — but members can binge watch the show to their hearts' content ad-free on Netflix until January 2021

@EricDSnider
Shoutout to fans of THE OFFICE who love it so much they're despondent about it leaving Netflix but not so much that they'll buy the DVDs.

@crsvan6
reminder to buy your favourite tv shows or films on physical media where and when possible because streaming or buying digital will eventually #### you over
   1081. PreservedFish Posted: June 25, 2019 at 09:39 PM (#5855905)
The other day I was at our local library's volunteer-run secondhand bookstore, and a high school kid in front of me was buying VHS copies of Citizen Kane, Dr Strangelove, and several other stone cold classics.
   1082. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 25, 2019 at 09:50 PM (#5855909)
The Office complete series is 49.99 on Amazon right now. Netflix runs nine to 16 dollars per month. Seems like there's a rational strategy for anyone who's despondent.

NBCs little subchannel network, Cozi, is showing The Office four times per night six nights per week. Frasier gets the same treatment, fifteen years after it finished production.
   1083. BrianBrianson Posted: June 25, 2019 at 09:58 PM (#5855914)
Physical media isn't all that reliable. I've ditched all my VHS tapes ... and all my 8", 5 1/4", and my 3 1/2" floppies.

When CBS pulls back DS9 ... I may have to pay or 2 streaming services. Still cheaper than cable.
   1084. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 26, 2019 at 06:15 AM (#5855942)

I'll be honest, just the idea of watching movies at home with commercial breaks is something I find startlingly weird now. As in: most movies can be divided into acts, true, but commercial breaks very seldom respect this structure, and it's not like there's any way to keep a consistent tone or suspension of disbelief when your 2-hour rollercoaster of fictional characters, emotions, and drama is periodically put on hold for cheery ads for fast food, banks, and Stena stairlifts (UK native).

That's really weird, isn't it? Except that it's commonplace, and was for most of my life. But it's still weird. It did raise the 'fast-forwarding your VCR to stop at the resumption of the movie' technique to an art-form, though.

Finished The Book of Strange New Things last night, extending my normal bedtime reading slot several times to reach the conclusion. Partly, I must admit, I didn't want Bea's recounting of what happened to Joshua to be the last thing I had in my head as I went to sleep! Elegant writing and plotting, anyway, and I think it's the first Faber piece I've read, so I'm likely to seek out more. Learning that Faber's relationship with his own wife was a source of material definitely deepens the story for me.

As I was travelling for work a lot over the last few years, I've mostly been reading on Kindle, but I finished this one in hardback, and I'm wondering if that contributed to my enjoyment more. The only other books I've read for the first time this year have been Fate is the Hunter (wonderfully written, but I tired in the final chapters) and Dessa's book; everything else has been re-reads or comic books. Aiming to change that over the next few months.
   1085. manchestermets Posted: June 26, 2019 at 06:38 AM (#5855943)
Shoutout to fans of THE OFFICE who love it so much they're despondent about it leaving Netflix but not so much that they'll buy the DVDs.

Do all these despondent penny-pinchers actually exist or are they just a handy fictional hook for Eric Snider to hang his complaint about the young people not buying physical media on? I get my new music by buying mp3 files, why can I not do the same with mp4 files for films/TV shows? I don't want to keep filling my flat with more and more STUFF (I have to move in September, the less stuff I have the better) but I'm happy to support the makers of the content I wish to consume. It's up to them to make it easy for me to do so though.
   1086. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: June 26, 2019 at 09:11 AM (#5855956)
Do all these despondent penny-pinchers actually exist or are they just a handy fictional hook for Eric Snider to hang his complaint about the young people not buying physical media on?

Not to mention the fact that if you're going to pay for a Netflix subscription anyway, then it makes far more sense to continue to watch the Office on Netflix until the service drops the show than it does to pay for the Office DVDs now.

The Office complete series is 49.99 on Amazon right now.

I suspect it's much cheaper than that for anyone willing to scour eBay or the used bins.

Coincidentally, I'm traveling to a small town on a weekly basis for a work project. To my surprise, the town still has a video rental store. Yesterday, I heard that the store is going out of business and selling all of its stock. I still have a working CD/DVD player and seven or eight years ago you could clean up when video stores would go out of business. The store in my neighborhood had a large "classics" section, and I remember scoring Buster Keaton titles for 50 cents apiece. Anyway, I stopped in the video store last night to see what I could find. Incredibly, they were selling the vast majority of their used titles for $8 - $10! Are there people left in America who will pay $8 - $10 for a used DVD? You can rent nearly any movie off Amazon for less than $10 and purchase many of them for a little bit more. I can't remember the last time I saw a used DVD with a sticker price above $5.
   1087. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: June 26, 2019 at 09:41 AM (#5855964)
Do all these despondent penny-pinchers actually exist or are they just a handy fictional hook for Eric Snider to hang his complaint about the young people not buying physical media on?

Or, its also about the law of diminishing returns. I was trying to explain this law to my 10 year old and of course I started out with the worst possible example to use in 2019, the old newspaper box. You put in the quarter, open the box and there is a stack of 20 copies, and you only take one, assuming you have no motive for theft/resale. Even during the hey day of physical media, I don't think intentionally sought to own more than maybe 15 favorites, along with all the old Bugs Bunny shorts. This is also why for a moment in time, the business model of Blockbuster made sense. Nobody wants to own The Mask.
   1088. BrianBrianson Posted: June 26, 2019 at 09:57 AM (#5855969)
Hey, are you trash-talking The Mask? It's among my three favourite James Carrey films fromm 1994. Probably #2.
   1089. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM (#5855974)
When CBS pulls back DS9
Is this actually happening? If it does I might have to riot.
   1090. JJ1986 Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM (#5855976)
It's so much easier to stream video than to watch a long series on DVD.
   1091. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM (#5855977)
Even during the hey day of physical media, I don't think intentionally sought to own more than maybe 15 favorites

This is not a concept I find relatable, I must admit, however illogical or uneconomic the results are for me.
   1092. PreservedFish Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:26 AM (#5855982)
I no longer own physical music. If, in the future, there are no streaming services or Youtube or such, I'll be screwed.
   1093. Davo Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:37 AM (#5855984)
Madonna & Bruce Springsteen Are Nos. 1 & 2 on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart
The Queen of Pop’s new album Madame X bows at No. 1, while The Boss’ Western Stars starts at No. 2.
   1094. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:41 AM (#5855987)
Madonna & Bruce Springsteen Are Nos. 1 & 2 on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart
"Albums? What are those?" -- everyone under 35
   1095. PreservedFish Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM (#5855988)
I wonder what the overlap is between people that pay for Madonna CDs and people that still pay AOL $20 per month.
   1096. BrianBrianson Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:47 AM (#5855991)

It's just an assumption, but given they're trying to pull people over to their streaming service, I can't see how it doesn't.
   1097. BrianBrianson Posted: June 26, 2019 at 10:52 AM (#5855992)
Even during the hey day of physical media, I don't think intentionally sought to own more than maybe 15 favorites

Context matters. Napster came out when I was in high school, so a physical media was pretty expensive relative to my income during its heyday. I *think* I only bought 1 movie (The Voyage Home), and maybe 4 tapes & CDs with my own money (Maybe You Should Drive, Born on a Pirate Ship, Stunt, Maroon) new. Any others I had were gifts (and I've occasionally bought music at garage sales and the Sally Ann, mostly for cars). Like, I paid $26 for The Voyage Home, which was more than a month's income for me at the time.
   1098. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 26, 2019 at 11:29 AM (#5856000)
It would be interesting to see what went on inside theaters during the very first talkies. Did people adjust right away? Was it spontaneous or was a lot of shushing involved? (Someone probably has an answer for this, I just don't know it.)

Andy, chime in here, would you?
   1099. Cowboy Popup Posted: June 26, 2019 at 11:35 AM (#5856002)
When CBS pulls back DS9

Let me know when and where.

I would buy DS9 on Blueray IF THEY WOULD ####### UPDATE IT FOR BLUERAY.

####### monsters. I'm still so mad about how shittastic the second season of Discovery was.
   1100. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM (#5856007)
My understanding was that remastering DS9 for HD would be incredibly time-consuming, therefore expensive, and DS9 was never popular enough to justify this. Have you seen the documentary 'What We Left Behind'?
Page 11 of 13 pages ‹ First  < 9 10 11 12 13 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.