Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 02, 2020

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (June 2020)

Yes, there are still summer movies. Nowhere near as many as usual, since the COVID-19 virus scared off most of the herd into later this year or next. But director Christopher Nolan fully intends to open Tenet, his $200 million time-bending epic, in more than 3,500 theaters in July. Ditto Disney, as the company plans to counter with its live-action Mulan that same month. And in August, Warner Bros. will go in on Wonder Woman 1984. All three potential blockbusters are big-money gambles. In order to make a profit or just break even, they’ll need us to put on masks, submit to temperature checks, and make sure we sit six feet apart when we finally push into theaters operating at 30 to 50 percent capacity to maintain social distancing.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 02, 2020 at 03:07 PM | 62 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:15 AM (#5954651)
After April I was wondering if this should be scaled back to quarterly, and then you went and redeemed yourselves.
   2. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:16 AM (#5954680)
But director Christopher Nolan fully intends to open Tenet, his $200 million time-bending epic, in more than 3,500 theaters in July.

This certainly seems like it will be a debacle.
   3. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:27 AM (#5954683)
Do you think that, looking backwards 10 or 20 years from now, COVID will look like a watershed in film history?

I've really enjoyed the Steve Coogan The Trip films, and they just released a new one, The Trip to Greece, which, according to IMDB, has earned $1,365 in theaters. You can stream it for $7, which I'll probably do. But even before this, producers must have been asking themselves, why are we releasing a movie like this in the theater? The last one supposedly earned $2,000,000 worldwide, no idea what the budget was, but it could hardly have made much money that way. Nothing about the movie is a "big screen experience" - will producers in the future even bother putting this type of movie into theaters? And if streaming is the only hope for this kind of light cinema, can it hope this carve out a space between The Great British Baking Show and Tiger King and reality tv and whatever else? Or will it just go away?
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 01, 2020 at 10:39 AM (#5954690)
Nothing about the movie is a "big screen experience" - will producers in the future even bother putting this type of movie into theaters? And if streaming is the only hope for this kind of light cinema, can it hope this carve out a space between The Great British Baking Show and Tiger King and reality tv and whatever else? Or will it just go away?
If the only movies they put in theaters are comic book franchises, I guess I may never see the inside of a movie theater again.*

These upcoming theater releases will give us a sense of how many moviegoers are the True Hardcore Theater Experience Fans...I can't imagine that it's anything beyond a tiny niche. Then again, maybe it will become act of patriotism among...certain folks...to go see a movie without a mask and with a large gun.

*Well, I assume eventually they'll have to make another Star Wars trilogy.
   5. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 11:34 AM (#5954718)
When I saw the preview for the new Mulan I thought "that looks awesome, I'm totally going to take my kids to see it." But July? Tough to imagine that right now. Then again, I never could have even imaged that Carnival Cruises would be reporting that they are experiencing unprecedented demand for their August bookings.
   6. Hot Wheeling American Posted: June 01, 2020 at 12:09 PM (#5954728)
I'm a True Hardcore Theater Experience Fan, being a film guy living in Manhattan without children and with disposable income (had membership to both AMC Stubs and the IFC Center when everything went to ####). But I really don't know if I can expect to be in a theater this year. Maybe if I hear decent enough things about the theater going experience and I go off hours? Assuming theaters are even open this year in NYC (both being allowed to and whether any or all actually do or whether they shut down for good). More super sad stuff!
   7. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 01:52 PM (#5954756)
I watched Midsommar the other night - it took me back to a simpler time, when all we had to worry about were pagan sex/murder cults. Really enjoyed it.
   8. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:06 PM (#5954759)
I watched Midsommar the other night - it took me back to a simpler time, when all we had to worry about were pagan sex/murder cults. Really enjoyed it.

I just re-watched a recent episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine with an exchange that made me chuckle. Approximately:

Amy: All good strollers are made in Scandinavia. That's because they don't punish people for having children.
Rosa: I've seen Midsommar. Those people have their own problems.
   9. PreservedFish Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:38 PM (#5954768)
I've actually seen a few similar movies lately. I'm not usually a horror guy, but for some reason that type of story has been tugging at me lately: evil ancient traditions, the malicious power of nature, and so on. The VVitch was another, also pretty good. And The Ritual, also about evil Scandinavian ancient gods or something, which I didn't like quite as much, possibly because I associated one of the major actors so much with Downton Abbey that it was distracting. (The smarmy scheming thieving under-butler.)

Get Out also had a roughly similar structure to Midsommar, although in that one the evil is not ancient and pagan.

But I've never seen the grandaddy of them all, the original The Wicker Man, which I think I need to put right atop my list.
   10. Greg K Posted: June 01, 2020 at 02:51 PM (#5954769)
I've really enjoyed the Steve Coogan The Trip films, and they just released a new one, The Trip to Greece, which, according to IMDB, has earned $1,365 in theaters. You can stream it for $7, which I'll probably do. But even before this, producers must have been asking themselves, why are we releasing a movie like this in the theater? The last one supposedly earned $2,000,000 worldwide, no idea what the budget was, but it could hardly have made much money that way. Nothing about the movie is a "big screen experience" - will producers in the future even bother putting this type of movie into theaters? And if streaming is the only hope for this kind of light cinema, can it hope this carve out a space between The Great British Baking Show and Tiger King and reality tv and whatever else? Or will it just go away?

In fact, the first movie was a TV series in the UK. I remember stumbling across it when I lived there, and instantly falling in love. I'd say the series is worth watching for all the additional content....but most of what they cut out were impressions of British comedians I've never heard of.
   11. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 02, 2020 at 10:54 AM (#5954896)
For me, the theatre-going experience makes most any movie better. We're not by any means film buffs, or avid (or even semi-regular) attendees, but I've seen Casablanca and Citizen Kane many times on the small screen, and they're still so much more fun in a big dark room with a crowd of strangers.

Certain films, of course--your standard comic-book "blowing lots of things up" epic--are pretty much ONLY watchable in a theatre.
   12. PreservedFish Posted: June 02, 2020 at 11:44 AM (#5954903)
Oh, me too. Midsommar was not improved by watching it in the room below my sleeping daughter, remote in hand, ready to turn the volume down during the many scenes of characters howling in horror and/or ecstasy.

Although the big special effects extravaganzas are the obvious movies to watch in a theater, I think that art house cinema benefits just as much from the experience. The Tree of Life was intoxicating on the big screen. If I had watched it at home I am 100% confident I would have fallen asleep.
   13. Baldrick Posted: June 02, 2020 at 02:11 PM (#5954932)
My spring playlist, with some thoughts on comfort and connection. RIYL indie songs where women sing and/or yell about their feelings. It's not exclusively that, but it's a pretty healthy percentage.
   14. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 02, 2020 at 02:29 PM (#5954939)
For me, the theatre-going experience makes most any movie better.

I'm pretty much in agreement. '20 Feet from Stardom' gave me goosebumps, seeing some of the talent tearing into those tunes on the big screen. As someone living in apartments for the last 20 years, sitting at the heart of even a moderately powerful surround sound system is still (was always?) a treat.
   15. Zach Posted: June 03, 2020 at 05:51 PM (#5955176)
But I've never seen the grandaddy of them all, the original The Wicker Man, which I think I need to put right atop my list.

It's pretty good. Not terrifying, but well plotted.
   16. Zach Posted: June 03, 2020 at 05:54 PM (#5955177)
I think that art house cinema benefits just as much from the experience.

I remember Pi as being really good in the theater. The stark black and white on the big screen really accented the paranoia.
   17. Hysterical & Useless Posted: June 03, 2020 at 08:56 PM (#5955196)
I remember Pi as being really good in the theater.

I originally saw this on a small screen, under very poor viewing conditions (outdoors, bright light, noisy) and thought it was extraordinary. Older son was with me (I think he was 14 or 15 at the time) and was blown away as well. A few years later it was at MoMA so we went to see it again. Even better.
   18. chisoxcollector Posted: June 04, 2020 at 07:18 AM (#5955260)
I was on a business trip in Winona, MN when Midsommar came out. I saw it on a weeknight during it's opening week... and I was the only person in the theater. It was rather unsettling. I kept thinking I was hearing noises in the rows behind me, but when I turned around nobody was there.

I've only had one theater experience along those lines that was even worse. I saw the original Hostel in a very large theater in Arundel Mills, MD. I was completely alone, until right as the lights went down one other guy came in... and sat directly behind me. I was half expecting to be tortured during the film.
   19. Greg K Posted: June 04, 2020 at 07:50 AM (#5955261)
I saw Frances Ha in the theatre. Just me and one old lady in the back.

Throughout the movie I kept wincing at how much this old lady must really hate this movie. I'm like George Costanza in that way, I can feel the slightest human suffering in others. About half way through I looked back to see how she was doing....she had left.
   20. chisoxcollector Posted: June 04, 2020 at 08:20 AM (#5955265)
I saw Frances Ha in the theatre. Just me and one old lady in the back.

Throughout the movie I kept wincing at how much this old lady must really hate this movie. I'm like George Costanza in that way, I can feel the slightest human suffering in others. About half way through I looked back to see how she was doing....she had left.

Smart lady!
   21. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 04, 2020 at 10:43 AM (#5955288)
I watched a Netflix documentary called The Battered Bastards of Baseball last night on the recommendation of a friend. It was excellent!

It told the story of the 1973-78 Portland Beavers, the last independent minor league team to compete in an affiliated league (that's how they sold it anyway). The team was owned by Bing Russell, former actor and father of Kurt, and apparently Kurt also played for them, although this is barely mentioned. The narrative is mostly "ragtag team of misfits triumphs against more heralded affiliated players." And Jim Bouton shows up.

I get the sense that the Beavers' story isn't well-known even in baseball geek circles - I didn't know anything about it and was only vaguely aware that Kurt Russell had a baseball background of some sort. I don't think I've ever seen it discussed on this site in my many years here. Is this something you guys knew about off the top of your head and I was just unaware?

Anyway, watch the doc. It's delightful.
   22. Howie Menckel Posted: June 04, 2020 at 11:26 AM (#5955299)
was aware that Kurt Russell supposedly played minor league ball and also have heard of the Portland Beavers.
   23. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 04, 2020 at 02:14 PM (#5955345)
I knew about Kurt Russell and baseball, but didn't know about the Portland Beavers.

24. PreservedFish Posted: June 04, 2020 at 02:58 PM (#5955358)
I watched that doc a few years ago, and definitely enjoyed it. Great story, and one of the most seventies things that ever seventiesed.

However, isn't it the Portland Mavericks in the film? The Beavers were the longstanding PCL team.
   25. Chokeland Bill Posted: June 04, 2020 at 03:28 PM (#5955360)
Kurt Russell and Randy (Savage) Poffo are the two really famous people I'm aware of that had minor league careers. Near-exact contemporaries. Both got injured and flamed out in their early 20s. It's hard to tell if they had much promise. Savage was great in rookie ball but didn't do much in A. Russell had a really low number of games as a no power, high OBP second baseman. He made it to AA, though, so I guess that puts him over the Macho Man.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=russel001kur
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=poffo-001ran
   26. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: June 04, 2020 at 03:39 PM (#5955365)
Kurt Russell and Randy (Savage) Poffo are the two really famous people I'm aware of that had minor league careers.

Ever heard Charley Pride sing?
   27. Gch Posted: June 04, 2020 at 03:58 PM (#5955370)
Kurt Russell and Randy (Savage) Poffo are the two really famous people I'm aware of that had minor league careers.

Joe E. Brown was reportedly a semi-pro player of some talent. SABR claims that he was offered a contract with the Red Sox when he was 19.
   28. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 04, 2020 at 04:38 PM (#5955380)
However, isn't it the Portland Mavericks in the film? The Beavers were the longstanding PCL team.
Yep, you're right. My bad.
   29. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 05, 2020 at 09:28 AM (#5955478)
I started watching 'Into the Night', a Netflix show from Belgium about a plane that has to keep flying west to avoid the sunrise, otherwise everyone dies. (Everyone has apparently already died most other places, but I've only seen two other episodes.) Deeply silly and played straight, something of a first-season-of-'24' feel. Every four minutes, another emergency.

Reminds me of Dara O'Briain's standup about '2012'. "The neutrinos have mutated . . . and they're heating up the planet!"
   30. PreservedFish Posted: June 05, 2020 at 09:56 AM (#5955484)
How do they refuel?
   31. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 05, 2020 at 10:02 AM (#5955487)
Hurriedly.
   32. PreservedFish Posted: June 05, 2020 at 10:14 AM (#5955488)
Oh, they can land, I see. I was imagining that they had to say airborne. What time of year is it? Can they just cruise down to Antarctica for a couple months?
   33. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 05, 2020 at 10:22 AM (#5955489)
I might have missed it, but I think it's Northern Hemisphere winter. So far (um, spoilers?) they've taken off from Brussels, set off for Iceland, found the runway blocked, diverted to northern Scotland, then went to northern Canada. Further north means they're faster relative to the horizon than further south.
   34. Howie Menckel Posted: June 05, 2020 at 10:28 AM (#5955491)

also ex-NY Gov. Mario Cuomo

1952 Pirates D League team
   35. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 05, 2020 at 10:43 AM (#5955497)
Oh, they can land, I see. I was imagining that they had to say airborne.
Is Sandra Bullock flying the plane?
   36. Swoboda is freedom Posted: June 05, 2020 at 01:08 PM (#5955540)
Ron Shelton, the director, was a minor league baseball player. Based Bull Durham on some of his experiences. Pat Jordan, the sports writer, was also a minor leaguer. I grew up down the street from him and went to school with his son Chris.

Fun story, I used to go to the Hollywood Y and they had good basketball runs. Shelton would show, and he was clearly a good athlete, if a little older than most. Denzel Washington was also a regular. Most of the guys from White Men Can't Jump were regular players there and that is why they were cast.
   37. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: June 05, 2020 at 01:12 PM (#5955544)
It told the story of the 1973-78 Portland Beavers, the last independent minor league team to compete in an affiliated league (that's how they sold it anyway).
A few subsequent teams did this as well - Mike Lansing was even drafted by one (yes, they could participate in the draft, in a limited way). I think (could be wrong!!) that '95 was the last year we had indy teams (like Lethbridge in the Pioneer League) in affliated ball.
   38. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 05, 2020 at 03:19 PM (#5955600)
Is Sandra Bullock flying the plane?

I've gotten to a point where the plane has to fly under 10,000 feet or else someone on board will die. There's already been multiple shootouts, two deaths on the plane (and many more off it), a jewellery heist, and now they're having to choose between Alaska and Hawaii. I'm exhausted and I'm only three episodes in.
   39. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 05, 2020 at 03:42 PM (#5955611)
I've gotten to a point where the plane has to fly under 10,000 feet or else someone on board will die.
Huh? What's the internal "logic" of the show - are there armed hijackers who for some reason want to play a bizarre game of Simon Says with a plane? Or is there some supernatural force that randomly kills people based on what the plane does?
   40. PreservedFish Posted: June 05, 2020 at 03:59 PM (#5955619)
Perhaps a disease that is triggered by sunlight and/or high altitude?
   41. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 05, 2020 at 05:31 PM (#5955661)
Gunfire cracks a window, it blows out when the plane climbs to high altitude to try to freeze out a rogue passenger hiding in the wheel arch and trying to sabotage them, boy on board with respiratory problems can't breathe when they lose the pressurised environment. I'm sure the scientific robustness is exacting in that last sentence. Maybe 'Snowpiercer' is the better comparison.
   42. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 05, 2020 at 06:02 PM (#5955682)
Gunfire cracks a window, it blows out when the plane climbs to high altitude to try to freeze out a rogue passenger hiding in the wheel arch and trying to sabotage them, boy on board with respiratory problems can't breathe when they lose the pressurised environment.
Ah. Yeah, it happens.
   43. PreservedFish Posted: June 07, 2020 at 01:36 PM (#5955918)
Why do they have to outrun the sunrise in the first place?
   44. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: June 07, 2020 at 04:04 PM (#5955924)
You'll kick yourself that you didn't guess, but: The sun's "polarity" reverses itself every 12 years or so, and the last few times it's been quite weak, which clearly means that 'this time' the sun bombards the Earth with the force of thousands of neutron bombs which has no effect if you're not on that side of the planet. I mean, obviously.

NATO sort-of knew about it, we're told, but the only person who seems to have done anything about it is a sweaty Italian major who grabs a gun from Brussels airport security, storms his way onto a plane that's only finished boarding a handful of passengers, and shoots the captain (and only pilot on board) in the hand accidentally. Meanwhile, maybe the cosmonauts on the ISS survived, though no-one knows why, and there's some kind of secret undersea base near Hawaii. Maybe. Also, food is no good any more.

It does serve the purpose of making 'Y, the Last Man' look like a documentary in terms of scientific rigour, that's for certain.
   45. flournoy Posted: June 07, 2020 at 04:37 PM (#5955926)
That sounds like the sort of plot where it's best to not ask too many questions, and just accept it at face value.
   46. Ron J Posted: June 07, 2020 at 06:48 PM (#5955934)
#45 There are plenty of decent to good movies that really don't bear looking at very closely.

Basically I'm fine with any variation of movie science or rule of cool as long as it's just some form of plot device and isn't trying to lecture. (You have to be more or less correct if you're trying to lecture)

As long as the pacing is adequate. Both the pacing so that I have time to think about that stuff as I'm watching and I'm not OK.
   47. Graham & the 15-win "ARod Vortex of suck" Posted: June 11, 2020 at 01:53 PM (#5956829)
Has anyone here read a biography of Henry Clay that s/he would generally recommend? I've been sticking to inconsequential crime and thriller novels lately (between the pandemic and some other things in my personal life, I've just needed an escape), but now I'm hankering for something a little weightier. I don't need a book that doubles as a doorstop, though I'm not opposed to such a book if that's really the best way to approach Clay.
   48. The Yankee Clapper Posted: June 18, 2020 at 09:34 PM (#5958183)
Vera Lynn, “the Forces' Sweetheart”, and quite possibly the last surviving person who was BIG in WWII*, has died at 103. Until We Meet Again.

*Not counting Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, and Defender of the Faith, whose claim to fame is more post-War.
   49. flournoy Posted: June 18, 2020 at 09:57 PM (#5958188)
Basically I'm fine with any variation of movie science or rule of cool as long as it's just some form of plot device and isn't trying to lecture.

Oh, for sure. I think the Back to the Future series is a good example.
   50. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 18, 2020 at 11:30 PM (#5958198)
Not counting Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, and Defender of the Faith, whose claim to fame is more post-War.

IWM caption: "Auxiliary Territorial Service: Princess Elizabeth, a 2nd Subaltern in the ATS, wearing overalls and standing in front of an L-plated truck. In the background is a medical lorry. April 1945." Source: IWM (TR 2835)
   51. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 18, 2020 at 11:36 PM (#5958200)
Vera Lynn, “the Forces' Sweetheart”, and quite possibly the last surviving person who was BIG in WWII*

Olivia de Havilland? She was certainly a star at that time, and did USO tours. Her cousin had a greater role in winning the war, though...
   52. PreservedFish Posted: June 19, 2020 at 09:28 AM (#5958235)
My wife bought a bottle of Dubonnet after learning that the Queen's favorite cocktail - indeed, rumored to be her faithful daily tipple - is a Dubonnet and gin, mixed 1:1. I don't love it. The Dubonnet tastes basically like a strong red wine with lots of botanical flavors added in, those flavors that 19th century folks seemed to think were somehow medicinal. Gin itself usually has wild botanical flavors, certainly the Bombay Sapphire in my cabinet, and those elements seem to clash. The Dubonnet is somewhat bitter, but not as bitter as Campari, and it's somewhat sweet, but not as sweet as sweet vermouth, and the combination of Dubonnet and gin therefore tastes like an unsuccessful Negroni. But, the American Dubonnet my grocery store stocks is not exactly the same as the French Dubonnet that the Queen guzzles, and maybe that ruins the whole thing. Maybe it's just a pale imitation.

I can buy a bottle of French Dubonnet over the internet for $10.67, with a mere $57.83 shipping charge. It would be mine in just 18-20 working days!
   53. JJ1986 Posted: June 19, 2020 at 09:43 AM (#5958242)
Between Space Force (mediocre) and Upload (good? Four episodes in so far), does Greg Daniels know that you can parody a political figure without horribly aping their name?

Ginger Gonzaga as Anabela Ysidro-Campos, also known as AYC. She is a parody of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.[11]
Concetta Tomei as Representative Pitosi, a parody of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.[12]
Alan Blumenfield as Schugler, a parody of Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer

William B. Davis as David Choak, a wealthy man living across the hall from Nathan at Lake View
   54. ckash Posted: June 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM (#5958286)
Ian Holm has died.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/19/ian-holm-dies-alien-chariots-of-fire-bilbo-baggins

For me he's an inner-circle HOF actor.
   55. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 19, 2020 at 07:18 PM (#5958370)
   56. Omineca Greg Posted: June 21, 2020 at 04:02 PM (#5958581)
Word out on the street is that American Dubonnet is not good. I've never had it. Apparently they jiggered with the formulation a couple of years ago, and it's supposed to be better than it used to be. In Canada we get it imported from France, they don't trust us to make their snooty wine...which is probably fair.

Try this! I can't say I've tried it, but it looks good.
   57. Ron J Posted: June 21, 2020 at 04:08 PM (#5958582)
#56 How could it possibly go wrong when the iconic Canadian liquor is Screech.
   58. Omineca Greg Posted: June 21, 2020 at 04:43 PM (#5958592)
I don't know. In Canada when we want to put antifreeze in our liquor, we use propylene glycol. Which as a foodstuff has the advantage of being...you know...not poisonous. So those Scandinavians can ban Fireball all they want, but there's no way we're changing our time honoured formulation because of a bunch of nervous Noras (shut up, if Ibsen used the name in a play, it's Scandinavian. By definition.)

Now, when those French want to anti-freeze up their wine, they use Diethylene-glycol. Austrians? You heard it was Austrians? Well, yes, they were the ones dumb enough to get caught. But you think they thought that up on their own? Diethylene-glycol as a foodstuff has one huge disadvantage; it will kill you.

OK, I just looked it up, and Fireball doesn't have propylene glycol any more. I guess we couldn't risk losing the Finnish snowmobilers. They drink a lot of Fireball.

Voitat tällä kertaa, ystäväni. Voitat tällä kertaa.
   59. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: June 22, 2020 at 02:50 PM (#5958748)
The Athletic's list of best songs by athletes.

The "Best" list features Bernie Williams and Ruben Sierra. The accompanying "Worst" list includes Deion Sanders and a song by Brett Myers called "Yoga Pants". Yes, I'm serious.

Article is paywalled for Athletic subsribers.
   60. PreservedFish Posted: June 22, 2020 at 04:52 PM (#5958797)
Most of the guitar-toting baseball players I'm aware of seem to specialize in milquetoast covers of adult alternative hits.
   61. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 22, 2020 at 05:04 PM (#5958800)
I assume the Super Bowl Shuffle is No. 1...but on which list?
   62. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 26, 2020 at 06:07 PM (#5959745)
SILENT SIREN - "Up to You" feat. 愛美 from Poppin’Party

Where exactly is the line drawn between fantasy and reality? Can you have a collaboration between a real band and a fictional one? Apparently, yes.

SILENT SIREN are a completely real all-female band that have been around for a decade, playing light, glossy, but undeniably catchy songs. The guitar-riff heavy “Up to You” is one of the hardest sounding songs they’ve done. Poppin’Party? They’re a fictional band from the anime/video game BANG DREAM! And that’s where the lines blur. Poppin’Party are a fictional band that also exists in real life. The voice actresses from the anime play their own instruments and do live gigs. They’ve released a dozen singles, and two albums. Are they successful? Their most recent song hit #1 on the Japanese singles chart earlier this year. They’ve played the Budokan (as have SILENT SIREN). So, yes, they’re quite successful.

Poppin’Party were at least in part modelled on SILENT SIREN, a fact freely admitted. So it makes a certain amount of sense that a collaboration would work. Poppin'Party singer Aimi (Terakawa) joins SILENT SIREN for this song – I think it’s important to note that she’s billed here by her real name, rather than as Kasumi Toyama, the character she plays in the anime. But it still seems to be breaking the fourth wall, somehow. I have no problem whatsoever with Poppin’Party and Roselia, another fictional band from the BANG DREAM! franchise, existing in real life (yes, I watch the show, and I just might have bought a couple of their songs). And Aimi obviously has the right to collaborate with whomever she wants to. But the lines are blurred…

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.