Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 01, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (May 2019)

Milch is here to watch, not interfere. He was a notorious micromanager during Deadwood’s original run, ordering reshoots if he didn’t like the way a scene was playing and dictating new dialogue from the sidelines for the cast to repeat. McShane has spoken of top-to-bottom rewrites being handed to actors just before the cameras rolled, the pages still hot from the copier.

This time, Milch is entrusting the day-to-day execution to his collaborators, among them the director Daniel Minahan, a series veteran, and his co–executive producer Regina Corrado, who started out as a writer on the series in 2005.

But his serenity is also the by-product of a greater urge to let go and accept what life has in store, even if it’s not what he asked for.

It’s here that we come to the matter of David Milch’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: May 01, 2019 at 05:48 AM | 969 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 10 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10
   901. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM (#5846466)
Flip!
   902. Swoboda is freedom Posted: May 29, 2019 at 11:58 AM (#5846471)
The food in Norway is ok. Very fish heavy, but there are some good places in Bergen and Oslo. I remember I went to a Chinese place once in Oslo. Not great but acceptable. I didn't choose it, it was a business lunch. I think you can find some places for the kids.
   903. PreservedFish Posted: May 29, 2019 at 12:04 PM (#5846473)
The kids will be happy eating grilled cheese in our AirBnBs, or having picnics in the fjords, and so will our wallets. I'll feed them some gjetost though.
   904. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2019 at 12:07 PM (#5846474)
What's the buzz so far?

Starred Kirkus and Booklist reviews, but who knows?

I liked Seveneves until it fell apart at denouement, which is hardly the first time that's happened to Stephenson. He peaked for me with Cryptonomicon, but I'm always willing to pick his stuff up.

HEY, I can now pull out previous OTP entry of my very short Stephenson reviews:
My very very short reviews and rankings of Neal Stephenson's novels:

1. Anathem - This was my idea of a perfect novel. Loved the setting, loved the characters, loved the themes, loved the maths, love the ending. He puts out anything that equals this in the future I'll be totally thrilled.

2. Baroque Cycle - This is kind of a cheat and generally subjective because I love epics, so the length is really a feature for me and not a bug. The economic lesson hump of the 1st book is a massive negative, but the rewards equal the task IMO. I do not think he needs an editor. FYI, for those who weren't aware, he wrote this one out by hand.

3. Snow Crash - Game-changer

4. Zodiac - This is an incredibly fun guerilla eco-warrior book, written by a young writer who was really enjoying himself. I was surprised how much I liked it.

5. Cryptonomicon - I remember really liking this, and my policy of basically re-reading nothing, ever, sort of hurts this ranking, as it might do better upon going through again. I'd imagine, however, that it might also end up a lot more dated than his other works.

6. Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (co-authored) - This was fun and thoughtful. Not pure Stephenson for someone likes me who really loves and lives for his prose stylings, but enough to be very satisfying. Had its minor issues.

7. Reamde - Stylistic, pointless page-turner. Probably liked it more than a lot of people did. I'm not a gamer, so I think those who are have a better grasp on this book.

8. The Diamond Age: or A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer - Good, but nanotech annoys me. This review is more subjective than quality-driven. I should really probably re-read.

9. Seveneves - 1st half was very good but incredibly bleak. Payoff for living through that was unrealized in an amazingly promising 2nd half premise that went totally nowhere, and the deux ex machinas were really really annoying. Everyone goes on about Stephenson's endings, this was the only one I felt hit that nerve with a hammer.

10. The Mongoliad (crowd-authored) - Read the 1st one, which bored me, and reminded me of the endless CLANG clusterfuck.

The Big U, Interface, The Cobweb - In my library, unread.

905. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 29, 2019 at 12:47 PM (#5846485)
The kids will be happy eating grilled cheese in our AirBnBs, or having picnics in the fjords,
Are they pining for the fjords?
   906. PreservedFish Posted: May 29, 2019 at 12:55 PM (#5846490)
I should've slipped Norwegian Blue Parrot into that menu I posted
   907. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 29, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5846521)
I don't think we ate while we were in Oslo last year. Except for the "brown cheese." That was good.

The apartment we stayed in was really nice, but the kitchen was very ill-equipped. Usually when you self-cater there'll be some basic ingredients available, but we had to buy everything, right down to salt & pepper. Which were among the very few things in the market with labels that a non-Norseperson could read.

We did get a really good French press there very cheaply. Just had to sign up to get emails from the housewares chain we bought it in, got it like 50% off, so it was only about $13. And now I get emails in Norwegian, which gmail just shunts into the spam folder.
   908. BrianBrianson Posted: May 29, 2019 at 02:48 PM (#5846549)
So are these John Wick movies good? Are they fun to watch? Kind of interested. I know nothing about the series.

They're stuntmen led movies about shooting 100+ people in the face, plus killing some with knives, axes, etc. There's not a ton of character work in them, but ... more than say, Seagal would've done. Jackie Chan with less humour and more heaps and heaps of corpses? If that sounds like it would appeal to you, then you'll probably have fun. If not, then no.

Or - if you liked the foyer scene in the Matrix enough to want it expanded into three films (with no magic powers), then John Wick is for you. If not, it ain't.
   909. PreservedFish Posted: May 29, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5846559)
I can enjoy any amount of violence, but I don't like how ponderous and self-important the Matrix sequels were.
   910. Davo Posted: May 29, 2019 at 03:33 PM (#5846570)
Violence: YAY!
Seriousness: NAY!
   911. Davo Posted: May 29, 2019 at 03:38 PM (#5846574)
It's time again!

THE MOST-WATCHED MOVIES OF 2019 BY THE 230 PEOPLE I FOLLOW ON LETTERBOXD

1. Us 126
2. High Life 103
3. Glass 82
4. High Flying Bird 81
5. Avengers: Endgame 80

6. Under the Silver Lake 72
7. Captain Marvel 69
8. Ash Is Purest White 65
9. Climax 64
9. Velvet Buzzsaw 64

11. John Wick: Chapter 3--Parabellum 63
12. Alita: Battle Angel 58
13. Fyre 56
13. Her Smell 56
15. Long Day's Journey Into Night 55

16. The Image Book 54
16. Booksmart 54
18. The Beach Bum 53
18. Dragged Across Concrete 53
20. Serenity 48

20. Non-Fiction 48
20. Shazam! 48
23. Happy Death Day 2U 47
24. Greta 44
25. Pet Sematary 40
   912. BrianBrianson Posted: May 29, 2019 at 04:07 PM (#5846589)
I can enjoy any amount of violence, but I don't like how ponderous and self-important the Matrix sequels were.

Then you'll probably like John Wick. They are not ponderous. Maybe invoking the Matrix was a bad idea given it's whole legacy. It's far closer to Under Siege, trying to be a little more serious and a little less self-important by the actors. I kinda feared a comparison to Seagal would invoke anything else he's ever done. Or his poor acting ability. Or his present day lunacy.
   913. Lassus Posted: May 29, 2019 at 05:06 PM (#5846609)
Books + baseball, bitches

Cooperstown Antiquarian Book Fair, June 29, 2019

SATURDAY, JUNE 29, 2019
10 – 4
CLARK SPORTS CENTER
SUSQUEHANNA AVENUE
COOPERSTOWN, NY
ADMISSION $4.00

I'll be there. We'll see which one of you supernerds can find me.
   914. PreservedFish Posted: May 29, 2019 at 05:31 PM (#5846613)
Violence: YAY!
Seriousness: NAY!

That's right.
   915. Davo Posted: May 29, 2019 at 06:57 PM (#5846626)
The Villainess has a great structure:

Opens with a shot of an empty hallway. Finally a man opens a door, looks at the camera and says “Hey, what are you doing here?” We then see that the camera is a POV shot from the titular Villainess, and she runs to the guy and slits his throat. And then like 50 more guys show up in the hallway armed with weapons, but our Villainess kills them all, using her hands and her knives and just random #### on the ground. There’s so much blood. And it’s all shot in that Hardcore Henry/first-person-shooter/POV style. And she turns down another hallway and there are 50 more guys and she kills them all. Then she enters a room with 50 more dudes, and kills 49 of them, before having a one-on-one fight with the Big Boss. He’s strong! He throws her face-first into a mirror (which is the first time we see our hero is a woman), but, the second she/the camera hits the mirror, we switch to shooting the scene “conventionally,” with both fighters in the frame.

She kills him too, eventually. Then jumps out a window and lands on a city street where she’s surrounded by armed cops. Then she looks at the camera and smiles while blood drips down her face.

The Villainess title card.

We then go back in time and spend an hour learning her sad backstory.
   916. Omineca Greg Posted: May 29, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5846628)
That menu does look pretty damn good, with the possible exception of "sour cream porridge." That doesn't sound too appealing.

Rømmegrøt is half way between a porridge and a pudding. You're supposed to use 35% fat sour cream, which isn't easy to come by. So if you want to make some, you might need to make the sour cream yourself. The starch is flour.

These people didn't think it was rich enough yet, so they put butter on top.

Which is what a lot of people do.
   917. PreservedFish Posted: May 29, 2019 at 07:12 PM (#5846632)
I'm into it.

OG, do you have some dining advice for my Norwegian adventure?
   918. Omineca Greg Posted: May 29, 2019 at 08:07 PM (#5846638)
OG, do you have some dining advice for my Norwegian adventure?

Not really, although I've known some Norwegians in my time, I've never been to Norway. But I've been to Shetland and Göteborg, so I've had a couple of close brushes...you've been there before though, right?

I'm fresh off the plane from Hrvatska myself, so I could say lots about Dalmatinski food.
   919. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 29, 2019 at 08:17 PM (#5846639)
I don't think we ate while we were in Oslo last year.
Sounds like a terrible vacation. How much weight did you lose?
   920. PreservedFish Posted: May 29, 2019 at 08:23 PM (#5846640)
I went to Norway 20 years ago. I was a less adventurous eater and I mostly remember being appalled at the options - in the typical restaurant a ghastly pizza or hamburger would be $25 and anything else cost $30+. Eating nothing at all indeed may have been a strong decision.
   921. Omineca Greg Posted: May 29, 2019 at 08:31 PM (#5846643)
Drinking black market vodka in the back of the Scotsman's saloon
Then it's red meat and whisky like a coyote drunk on the moon
Outside in Oslo the buskers all sing the same tune
And it's Waltzin' Matilda while the bagpipes play old Clare de Lune

She was a lady, she came down from Bergen she said
She spoke a little English, they laughed and drank whisky instead
In the mornin' he found it, a rose with a note on his plate
It said, "meet me at midnight on the corner of St. Olav's Gate"

[Repeat: x2]
Here's to the ladies you love and don't see again
The night is warm whisky, the mornin's a cold bitter wind
The blue eyed madonna leaves town while the drunken man waits
Leaves him standing alone in the shadows of St. Olav's Gate

Russell
   922. jmurph Posted: May 30, 2019 at 10:09 AM (#5846748)
PreservedFish: you probably know this tip already but just in case you don't, based on two trips (Paris and London) with my small kids (ages 1 and 3 the first time, 3 and 5 the second), map out some playgrounds where you're visiting. For us, it worked in a number of ways: gives you and your wife a break for coffee or whatever while they play, and works as a motivator (we're going to the art museum first and then we'll go the playground for a while and then...). Half the time we'd also grab lunch and eat on park benches in/near the playgrounds, too.
   923. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM (#5846754)
I'm not sure Scandinavians build anything as frivolous as a playground.
   924. jmurph Posted: May 30, 2019 at 10:45 AM (#5846760)

Surely the playgrounds are just more efficient, angular, and all of the equipment is white.
   925. Baldrick Posted: May 30, 2019 at 11:20 AM (#5846782)

I can only speak to Stockholm, but there were plenty of playgrounds there.
   926. PreservedFish Posted: May 30, 2019 at 11:27 AM (#5846788)
I think you guys are out of touch with modern Scandinavia. They are on the bleeding edge of the "don't teach kids the alphabet, let them have hours of unstructured playtime" movement:

Scandinavian parents don’t start their kids in academic school until age 7. A recent study found that delaying school for young children dramatically reduces inattention and hyperactivity. Forgoing formal education for a few years doesn’t mean kids aren’t learning anything. Children ages 1 through 6 attend government-subsidized preschool where unstructured play is seen as essential for developing social skills, imagination, and creativity. There’s just less pressure to perform academically in Scandinavian countries and more emphasis on enjoying childhood and life.

As for the playgrounds, I can only assume they're in a tastefully updated mid-century style.
   927. jmurph Posted: May 30, 2019 at 11:41 AM (#5846795)
Yeah I was just kidding based on ElRoy's (presumed) joke. Scandinavian countries are famous for their kid play spaces.
   928. BrianBrianson Posted: May 30, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5846804)
Indeed, even Britain was moving back from the "Will kids get hurt?" to "Will kids get crippled?" standard for playgrounds when I was they, and they're far less "with-it" than Scandanavians, who'll leave babies in strollers outside cafes while they go in for 20 minutes of coffee and respite.
   929. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 30, 2019 at 12:28 PM (#5846810)
I don't think we ate while we were in Oslo last year.

Sounds like a terrible vacation. How much weight did you lose?

The brown cheese is quite filling.
   930. gef, talking mongoose & vexatious litigant Posted: May 30, 2019 at 12:35 PM (#5846813)
I don't think I'd have guessed that Leon Redbone was only a decade older than me. In any event, RIP.
   931. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2019 at 01:38 PM (#5846833)
Did somebody misspell "actually"?
   932. Lassus Posted: May 30, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5846854)
Calling back to POST #1 of this thread, the Deadwood movie premieres on HBO tomorrow.
   933. Davo Posted: May 30, 2019 at 03:28 PM (#5846880)
   934. Omineca Greg Posted: May 30, 2019 at 05:35 PM (#5846940)
OK, here's a famed Dalmatinski dish we had...

Viška pogača

Knock back a couple of quince rakija shots, get the appetite up, and then go to town on those bad boys.

Quince and anchovies: What could go wrong?

Well, quite a bit actually...but in this case, a match made in heaven.
   935. Davo Posted: May 30, 2019 at 05:44 PM (#5846943)
The Bruce Springsteen song of the week podcast.

Surely this is for one of you.
   936. Baldrick Posted: May 30, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5846950)
The Bruce Springsteen song of the week podcast.

Surely this is for one of you.

I'll certainly give it a listen!
   937. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: May 30, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5846986)
the Deadwood movie premieres on HBO tomorrow.

I need to get somebody I know nearby to record this for me. I actually ditched HBO once Deadwood ended. Not about to get it again. Maybe I can be inspired by Costanza going to the black family's house to watch a movie, of which he is too lazy to read the book version for this book club he joined.
   938. Howie Menckel Posted: May 31, 2019 at 12:45 AM (#5847036)
Scripps National Spelling Bee
‏Verified account @ScrippsBee
21m21 minutes ago

Your first official look at our 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee Co-Champions. Each spelller will receive a Scripps Cup and $50,000 cash prize from Scripps. After 20 rounds of intensive, record-breaking competition, they're all going home as winners. #spellingbee

PROFFER

yes, EIGHT champions.

why? because there only so many words in the English language - but no limit to the amount of time obsessed parents and equally obsessed brilliant kids can spend time studying those words.

2020, look for the debut of OCD handwashing!

snarky? of course. but am I 100 percent wrong?

how about a 10-event competition where kids can score points in spelling, math, interpersonal skills, athletics, etc.

wouldn't that propel these kids into a healthier balance of their time? how about any contest that prioritizes on-the-spot aptitude over endless and sometimes joyless rote study?

the law of diminishing returns on being able to spell 99.1 percent of all the words in the English language - aka LOSER - and getting to 99.9 percent seems pretty high.

but I could be wrong.

I won a lot of school spelling bees back in the day, fwiw (though there was no regional option - nor interest from me in sequestering myself to challenge obsessive rivals). but I was more impressed back then with my fellow youngsters who - knowing they had no shot to win a kewpie doll (and actual prize; I have some somewhere) deliberately missed in the first round so that they could do the homework of writing all required words 5 times as the event continued. THAT is creative thinking at that age.

once the contest was over, they were done for the day. only the chumps who got close but lost the contest - think of them as first-round NBA playoff losers - got burned.

and to think that these modern NBA teams might think they invented tanking!
   939. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 31, 2019 at 02:39 AM (#5847039)
Some winning elimination words in the Scripps Spelling Bee, once upon a time:

1932: Invulnerable
1935: Intelligible
1937: Promiscuous
1940: Therapy
1941: Initials
1947: Chlorophyll
1948: Psychiatry
1950: Meticulously
1964: Sycophant
1967: Chihuahua
1970: Croissant
1973: Vouchsafe
1975: Incisor
1976: Narcolepsy
1984: Luge
1985: Milieu
   940. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 11:32 AM (#5847086)
@keithcalder
What movies will Disney make when they run out of animated movies to remake? This is a serious question, as the main Disney production slate has been phasing out everything else. Surely there will have to be something?

@davidehrlich
fingers crossed for beautiful hand-drawn animated remakes of the “live-action” remakes of the beautiful hand-drawn animated films.
   941. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: May 31, 2019 at 11:42 AM (#5847091)
939 - That list is depressing (in that I'd likely spell each of them correctly).
I won my school's spelling bee as a kid - only to learn that they had turned in a (different) name prior to the contest. Little, egomaniacal kid me was PISSED.
--
I say the Scripps folks are being lazy - you're not going to run out of words. Just keep going forever - made it an endurance contest like one of those depression era danceathons or when people sit on billboards or keep hands on hardbodies. Alternately, add speed rounds. Or, if needed, give the kids speed and see what happens. Dumber events exist.
   942. Nasty Nate Posted: May 31, 2019 at 11:45 AM (#5847092)
I was watching last night, and once again a Jeopardy contestant missed the opportunity to reply "Mount 'Suvius" like in White Men Can't Jump...
   943. Lassus Posted: May 31, 2019 at 11:55 AM (#5847095)
I'm disturbed that all the words in #939 are capitalized. Did Germany win the goddamned war while I wasn't looking?
   944. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: May 31, 2019 at 12:45 PM (#5847101)
#938, what that doesn't mention is that they expanded the field pretty dramatically last year to include some kids who didn't win their regional tournament, but came close enough (and were willing to pony up $1500 plus pay their own expenses). It is not shocking to me that they "can't" eliminate all the kids with a larger field, although 8 champions seems like a lot.

The bee, which begins on Tuesday in an auditorium outside Washington and ends on Thursday with a live telecast on ESPN, will test the spelling mettle of a record 565 young people, age 7 to 15. It is the second year in a row that the field has topped 500.

That compares with 291 spellers in 2017 and 280 in 2016, when the competition was mostly limited to the champions of regional tournaments.

While a handful of regions have traditionally sent more than one participant to the national contest, the new RSVBee program opens a door for dozens of others. It allows students who were not outright champions - those who won a school spelling bee, those who were a former national finalist and others - to apply. Bee organizers make the final decision.

It is a question of fairness, said Valerie Miller, a spokeswomen for the bee, which started in 1925.

“You might have just one speller who wins that region and advances, but there are many spellers who are good enough to compete at nationals,” said Miller. “There are just too many kids in that region.”

But there is a catch: RSVBee spellers have to pay their own way to Washington, including a $1,500 participation fee, which also covers two tickets to a kickoff event and two tickets to an awards banquet. In exchange, they get a shot at winning the grand prize of $50,000 this year.
   945. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:16 PM (#5847103)
DAVO'S MAY 2019 MOVIE WATCHLIST

GREAT
1. Little Sister (2016, Zach Clark)

GOOD
2. John Wick: Chapter 3--Parabellum (2019, Chad Stahelski)
3. Amazing Grace (1972/2018, Sydney Pollack/Alan Elliott)
4. Unsane (2018, Steven Soderbergh)

WORTH SEEING
5. The Villainess (2017, Jung Byung-gil)
6. Mad Max (1979, George Miller)

BAD
7. Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019, Rob Letterman)
8. The Wandering Earth (2019, Frant Gwo)
9. Santa Fe Trail (1940, Michael Curtiz)
10. Second Act (2018, Peter Segal)
   946. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:21 PM (#5847106)
I saw Blow Up (1966) the other day - it's actively not good. One of those movies where we were all relieved in the post-flick discussion that no one else thought highly of it either.
   947. jmurph Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:26 PM (#5847110)
I saw Blow Up (1966) the other day - it's actively not good. One of those movies where we were all relieved in the post-flick discussion that no one else thought highly of it either.

Wait, what? Antonioni's Blow Up? It's been years since I've seen it but I remember it pretty much holding up as the masterpiece it's generally considered.
   948. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5847111)
BAD
7. Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019, Rob Letterman)
Shocking.

You will go see just about anything they put out in a movie theater, won't you?
   949. BrianBrianson Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5847112)
I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) the other day with my son. I don't understand why parents found it too violent, that they had to tone done the sequal.

Roger Ebert called it "The best possible Ninja Turtles movie", and I think I agree. Certainly history has born that out.
   950. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:52 PM (#5847122)
947 - yes sir. I think I get why people liked it - and I'm generally predisposed to explorations of ambiguity and ennui - but I had a surprisingly hard time getting over the lead character's misogyny. Maybe more importantly, I didn't feel the supposed invigoration he did while he investigated the murder(?) and some of what I think I'm supposed to accept as "dream logic" was just kind of dumb.

There were a few nice tableaus/sequences, though.

---

I've never seen a John Wick and am kind of hoping that they'll be more like The Raid than The Matrix...
   951. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5847126)
948- 100% correct! It was my last day off before I had to go back to work (from paternity leave), and my mother-in-law had just arrived to watch the baby, so I used my last free afternoon to go to the movies! This was unfortunately the week after ENDGAME came out, so my options were extremely limited!
   952. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 02:01 PM (#5847127)
@Formault
Black Panther: the CIA is your friend and black self determination is bad
Captain Marvel: Empowered girls join the US AIR FORCE
Racist misogynistic chud who has seen neither movie: Black Panther and Captain Marvel are MARXIST PROPAGANDA!!!
   953. jmurph Posted: May 31, 2019 at 02:02 PM (#5847128)
947 - yes sir. I think I get why people liked it - and I'm generally predisposed to explorations of ambiguity and ennui - but I had a surprisingly hard time getting over the lead character's misogyny. Maybe more importantly, I didn't feel the supposed invigoration he did while he investigated the murder(?) and some of what I think I'm supposed to accept as "dream logic" was just kind of dumb.

There were a few nice tableaus/sequences, though.

Fair enough. I couldn't even tell you the plot at this point, it's been so long, but I remember a few visuals.

If I ever remember how to sit still for 2 hours again without distracting myself with my phone I'm planning to revisit it (along with a lot of other things I saw many years ago).
   954. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5847134)
   955. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 31, 2019 at 02:31 PM (#5847135)
948- 100% correct! It was my last day off before I had to go back to work (from paternity leave), and my mother-in-law had just arrived to watch the baby, so I used my last free afternoon to go to the movies! This was unfortunately the week after ENDGAME came out, so my options were extremely limited!
Heh. Fair enough, although I'm not sure I'd choose to spend my last few hours that way. Kind of like a prisoner ordering his last meal from Arby's.
   956. BrianBrianson Posted: May 31, 2019 at 02:33 PM (#5847137)
In fairness, the poor Russian lad being paid to complain on the internet that Black Panther and Captain Marvel are Marxist Propoganda probably thinks the CIA and US Air Force are Marxist agents ...
   957. Lassus Posted: May 31, 2019 at 03:51 PM (#5847156)
Jenkins is a fine performer who has deservedly won many awards. Mercifully, not for Step Brothers.
   958. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5847163)
   959. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 31, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5847168)
I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

That is a wonderful movie. My kids were HUGE fans of the Turtles, and my wife and I really enjoyed them as well. Lots of snarky humor, more than sufficient darkness (life is fun but kinda scary!), and Pizza! The actress who played April O'Neill in the 1st film was IMHO quite hot in a not-exactly-pretty way. Pity she wasn't in the sequel (prettier actress but much less interesting).

At some point we acquired a tape of the film, but I think DVDs had already taken over, we'd disconnected our VCR, and when we tried to hook it up again it refused to work. Guess it preferred retirement. Who doesn't?
   960. PepTech Posted: May 31, 2019 at 05:18 PM (#5847184)
I remember losing my school spelling bee when I spelled it "sulfur" and they wanted "sulphur". Or maybe I spelled it with the PH, and they wanted F. I can't remember anymore.

I do remember that my parents were kinda pissed on my behalf, and even had some kind of conference with someone to prove it was an accepted spelling, which my school conceded, but the district competition had already taken place by then so I was screwed.

Good life lesson. You're screwed, even when you're right.
   961. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 31, 2019 at 05:35 PM (#5847186)
I remember losing my school spelling bee when I spelled it "sulfur" and they wanted "sulphur". Or maybe I spelled it with the PH, and they wanted F. I can't remember anymore.
That stinks.
   962. Lassus Posted: May 31, 2019 at 05:38 PM (#5847187)
The release of the latest Marvel blockbuster, Avengers: Infinity War, has coincided with an age of political uncertainty and upheavals, and the 200th birthday of Karl Marx. Released in the current political climate of Trump, Brexit, and nuclear crises, with a resurgence of class struggle, so eloquently described by Marx those many years ago, the world that the Avengers inhabits is refreshingly utopian, for some. Indeed, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is entirely bereft of a significant history of class-struggle, or indeed, class-consciousness. Although the entirety of the (so far released) MCU depicts a period of history stretching from approximately 1943 (‘creation’ of Captain America) to 2018 (events of Avengers: Infinity War), there is little depiction of the working classes or their struggle throughout this entire period. Evidently, the MCU is set in an alternative time-line to the one that we are currently experiencing, and is certainly more engaged in the affairs and reverberations echoing throughout the celestial universe than we (in all apparent reality) are.
   963. Omineca Greg Posted: May 31, 2019 at 05:57 PM (#5847192)
Not a lot of interest so far in the foods from my vacation. Maybe you fat cats are too good to take a trip to an emerging republic...not my problem.

Anyway, this next one is crni rižot.

If you clicked on the link, you're probably asking yourself, "what the #### is that?"

It's cuttlefish risotto, but instead of throwing away all the ink-sacs, you empty a few into the risotto. The ink doesn't taste like much, but that dark, almost foreboding colour tips you off that you're in for a fishtastic experience. Check out this recipe: that's 1.2 kg of cuttlefish/calamari for just 1.5 cups of rice.

Oh yeah!

Have this one with a nice Pošip. These wines run the price gamut: from cheap...to a little less cheap. Best to befriend someone in the know and breeze in there for about $12...get two bottles...you've got a lot of cuttlefish on your plate.
   964. Davo Posted: May 31, 2019 at 06:09 PM (#5847194)
@SeanRMoorhead
It's so strange to remember that Jay-Z and Beyoncé released a joint album last summer, it did good numbers, and then after a few days no one ever mentioned it again.

@NickRob
It applies to TV, too. The only thing that got a lot of people to shut up about Arrested Development was more of it.

@SeanRMoorhead
Maybe it's just my timeline but it seems like people forgot about the ostensibly epochal conclusions of Game of Thrones and the Avengers within, like, a week.
   965. Cowboy Popup Posted: May 31, 2019 at 07:14 PM (#5847201)
I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) the other day with my son. I don't understand why parents found it too violent, that they had to tone done the sequal

On top of it holding up extremely well, it has a great unexpected baseball joke when Raphael is fighting Casey Jones:

“A Jose Canseco bar? Tell me, you didn’t pay money for this?”

So forward looking.
   966. Lassus Posted: May 31, 2019 at 07:47 PM (#5847207)
I was working in a comic book store when parody comic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came through in the indie comics shipment, aping the cover of Ronin by Miller but looking like my brother made it in his garage. "Hey, neat".

From that even to the movie six years later was completely batshit, let alone where it's ended up. I will never not be astounded by the whole thing.
   967. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 31, 2019 at 07:53 PM (#5847208)
It's cuttlefish risotto, but instead of throwing away all the ink-sacs, you empty a few into the risotto. The ink doesn't taste like much, but that dark, almost foreboding colour tips you off that you're in for a fishtastic experience. Check out this recipe: that's 1.2 kg of cuttlefish/calamari for just 1.5 cups of rice.

Oh yeah!
Now that sounds delicious. Anything with squid ink is an easy sell as far as I'm concerned.
   968. PreservedFish Posted: May 31, 2019 at 09:22 PM (#5847222)
I've made many squid ink pastas and risottos, but never with a 1:1 mollusk:starch ratio. Sounds tremendous!
   969. Lassus Posted: May 31, 2019 at 11:23 PM (#5847250)
@SeanRMoorhead - Maybe it's just my timeline but it seems like people forgot about the ostensibly epochal conclusions of Game of Thrones and the Avengers within, like, a week.
It's probably half your timeline, and half that you're fucking stupid, because there are still stories every single day on these items.
Page 10 of 10 pages ‹ First  < 8 9 10

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.