Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, May 03, 2020

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (May 2020)

The shutdown has lasted for less than two months, but in that short time the fallout from the pandemic has brought the film, television, music and theater businesses to their knees. It’s the greatest economic calamity to ever hit Hollywood, Broadway and other entertainment business hubs, dwarfing the wreckage left by such recent catastrophes as 9/11 and the Great Recession. And it’s being felt most acutely by production designers, camera operators, makeup artists, grips, stagehands, ticket takers, casting directors and character actors, whose names may not adorn cinema marquees but whose work forms the backbone of the business.

In February, the Motion Picture Assn. estimated that the film and TV industry directly employs 892,000 people. It’s not yet known how many of those jobs have been lost, but it’s possible to make a rough guess. According to federal data, about 125,000 of those employees are movie theater ushers and concessionaires — nearly all of whom have been furloughed or laid off. Another 170,000 work as actors, directors, camera operators, lighting technicians, set designers and other production workers — a large percentage of whom are also not working.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: May 03, 2020 at 03:23 PM | 228 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. PreservedFish Posted: May 12, 2020 at 07:23 PM (#5949905)
floop
   202. PreservedFish Posted: May 13, 2020 at 04:49 PM (#5950183)
I know there's a video games thread somewhere, but I can't see it, so here goes:

I think I'm going to buy a new baseball video game named Super Mega Baseball 3. It appears to be a throwback to early Nintendo-style baseball games - particularly Baseball Stars, my favorite of all time - cartoonish graphics, simple and intuitive gameplay, fun character creation options. Starting in about 1994 I decided that video game sports had become too complicated and I now only have interest in the dopey kids' style games. Anyone have any experience with the title?
   203. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: May 13, 2020 at 08:09 PM (#5950251)
I was told that I am taking vacation the next two days. Both phones confiscated.
   204. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: May 14, 2020 at 12:50 AM (#5950309)
@PreservedFish

https://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsstand/discussion/ot_gaming_october_2015/P900/

205. Zach Posted: May 16, 2020 at 11:51 PM (#5951362)
Wow, just watched Dragged Across Concrete.

Slow boil thriller that just keeps getting more intense.
   206. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 17, 2020 at 10:34 AM (#5951413)
   207. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: May 18, 2020 at 10:35 AM (#5951606)
bump
   208. PreservedFish Posted: May 18, 2020 at 10:55 AM (#5951624)
We haven't watched a scrap of live television and as a result I feel as if we're missing on some shared cultural experiences here. What is SNL like? The Tonight Show? I have no idea, because I haven't watched em. Any advice for great stuff that I've missed?
   209. Hot Wheeling American Posted: May 18, 2020 at 01:53 PM (#5951704)
This is the television my wife and I have watched during quarantine (not counting movies):

Dracula
Tiger King
Unorthodox
Cheer
A Very English Scandal
Marc Maron ‘End Times Fun’
Devs (solo)
Briarpatch (solo)
Little Fires Everywhere
Better Call Saul Season 5
Party Down (rewatch)
Ozark Season 3 (solo)
Detroiters
Jerry Seinfeld ‘23 Hours to Kill’
High Fidelity
Westworld Season 3 (solo)
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs The Reverend
Orange is the New Black Season 6 (solo)

Only items warranting ‘must see’ status are Better Call Saul and Detroiters, but there’s at least some merit to most of the shows.
   210. Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew Posted: May 18, 2020 at 01:57 PM (#5951706)
We've been watching a lot of "It's Always Sunny..." Such wonderfully awful people. And if you haven't seen the scene where Frank is given birth by a leather couch, you must.
   211. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: May 18, 2020 at 02:30 PM (#5951716)
A Very English Scandal

Oh, interesting. I might have name-dropped this before, but Alex Jennings (who plays the main character's friend/fixer) is a college friend of my parents' who was my landlord for a while in south London. Probably most famous as Prince Charles in Helen Mirren's 'The Queen', but a very distinguished career in the RSC, the West End, and some character-actor stuff.

Sadly, has not appeared in a Star War or a Harry Potter or a Marvel movie, and therefore may never be able to fully retire. I believe he was up for Nearly Headless Nick or whoever John Cleese played. So close. He would have made a good MCU Loki about 25 years ago.

EDIT - I tried 'The Eddy' for a couple episodes. It's definitely not a major departure from Chazelle's 'Whiplash', but I an enjoying soaking in the atmosphere of non-tourist Paris. Kind of shot like an early-2000s Michael Mann movie, which is my jam.
   212. Hot Wheeling American Posted: May 18, 2020 at 03:00 PM (#5951736)
Oh, interesting. I might have name-dropped this before, but Alex Jennings (who plays the main character's friend/fixer) is a college friend of my parents' who was my landlord for a while in south London. Probably most famous as Prince Charles in Helen Mirren's 'The Queen', but a very distinguished career in the RSC, the West End, and some character-actor stuff.

Very cool. Also known more recently for playing another member of the fam...Prince Edward in The Crown.
   213. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: May 22, 2020 at 09:15 PM (#5953044)
Today?

@Gonfalon Bubble has given me???

Mexican monkey midget wrestling

AND?

Bob Hope's delightful amoral rot

I ... can't even pick.
   214. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 23, 2020 at 08:10 AM (#5953083)
   215. Baldrick Posted: May 23, 2020 at 09:51 AM (#5953089)
From a book I'm reading on the Reformation: "Laud had a reputation for being kind-hearted to the poor, and he showed engaging affection for his pet cats and his giant tortoise (a beast that survived all the subsequent upheavals at Lambeth Palace until it was accidentally killed by a gardener in the mid-eighteenth century). He was also a lonely little man, confiding his erotic dreams about the Duke of Buckingham and others to his private diary."

Going to need Greg K to comment, and to justify why the tortoise didn't make an appearance in Early Stuart England.
   216. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: May 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM (#5953105)
Going to need Greg K to comment, and to justify why the tortoise didn't make an appearance in Early Stuart England.

I bet he is saving it for the Civil War, where the Tortoise saves England from the Alien Invasion.
   217. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: May 23, 2020 at 10:22 PM (#5953173)
But what about BoJo?
   218. Greg K Posted: May 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM (#5953309)
I hadn't heard about the tortoise....Laud is super famous for his dream journal though. In a lot of histories he comes off as a very anxious fellow. But that may be a trick of the sources. Not a lot of his contemporaries have surviving journals where they pour over their dreams in such detail.

EDIT: I believe his old nemesis William Prynne got his hands on the journal and used it to embarrass Laud during his impeachment trial. A fitting revenge for having his ears chopped off and his cheeks branded. Cutting off Laud's head was bit much though. Those Puritans always take things one step too far.
   219. Greg K Posted: May 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM (#5953310)
I apparently own Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings (which seems to be the first game in the series). But for the life of me I do not remember buying it, and certainly don't remember playing it.

EDIT: And agreed on Baseball Stars. Best baseball video game ever, and on my short list for best sports game.
   220. PreservedFish Posted: May 24, 2020 at 11:13 PM (#5953313)
From a book I'm reading on the Reformation: "Laud had a reputation for being kind-hearted to the poor, and he showed engaging affection for his pet cats and his giant tortoise (a beast that survived all the subsequent upheavals at Lambeth Palace until it was accidentally killed by a gardener in the mid-eighteenth century). He was also a lonely little man, confiding his erotic dreams about the Duke of Buckingham and others to his private diary."

I'm not about to read a doorstopper on the Reformation, but I'd happily pick up a slim volume describing the 17th century's most hilarious personalities.
   221. Welcome to Gator Hammock (CoB). Posted: May 25, 2020 at 04:20 AM (#5953320)
Things ... I did not expect to happen today?

Newfound appreciation of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive"
   222. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: May 25, 2020 at 08:56 AM (#5953326)
Saw a couple of older movies over the weekend, 'Harold and Maude' (which I'd never seen before, despite several recommendations) and 'Tommy'. 'Harold and Maude' was good, in a slightly unexpected way - several of the supporting character were very amusingly portrayed (particularly the general), and gave the whole venture a fun kick of energy. 'Tommy' - yeah, that one wasn't for me, despite some really striking shots that must have been incredibly challenging to create.
   223. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 25, 2020 at 03:13 PM (#5953388)
Super Mega Baseball 3 is on my Steam wish list. In version 2, this could happen.

I've also added Monster Train to the wishlist after watching a bunch of people play it on Twitch and giving the demo a try.
I'm almost done playing Slay the Spire and I think this would be a nice "next game" choice.
Digging through my back catalog of Steam purchases that I've never played, I've dived into Saints Row IV, which I got a few years ago for super cheap, and originally came out in 2013. I enjoyed III, but IV just isn't holding my interest as well.

It doesn't help that Epic Games Store has recently released GTA V and Civilization VI for free in the past month. I'm definitely going to give those a try soon.
I have like 8 more free games from the Epic Games store and maybe 12 Steam games I bought that I've never touched/installed and want to still play.
   224. ckash Posted: May 25, 2020 at 07:26 PM (#5953433)
I watched Brewster McCloud over the weekend. Went in cold and didn’t realize it was a Robert Altman movie until half-way through when curiosity got the best of me and I looked it up. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Where does it rank among Altman’s work?
   225. ckash Posted: May 25, 2020 at 07:26 PM (#5953434)
I watched Brewster McCloud over the weekend. Went in cold and didn’t realize it was a Robert Altman movie until half-way through when curiosity got the best of me and I looked it up. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Where does it rank among Altman’s work?
   226. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: May 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM (#5953538)
The Exodus probably didn't happen. I don't think that makes the Torah "Jewish propaganda." It's mythological tradition.
   227. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:44 PM (#5953568)
Newfound appreciation of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive"

I don't know what it means, but I've found that Bon Jovi's early work really seems to be catchy for the younger generation right now.

There is video of 19/20 year old professional hockey players singing along to the PA playing "Living on a Prayer" during a break in the action..

When I was in DisneyWorld a few years ago, we had lunch at one of the last remaining Planet Hollywood locations (Disney Springs), and they played "Living on a Prayer" on the big screen/PA.
ALL of the younger generation (19-25ish) were belting it out at the bar/party area.
   228. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: May 26, 2020 at 05:32 PM (#5953664)
"Brewster McCloud" appears to be rated as one of those quirky treats hidden inside a director's filmography, for those who take the time to delve deeper.

The catch being, Altman has way more of those than he has hits.
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.