Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, November 02, 2020

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (November 2020)

Sean Connery, the rugged, sardonically assured Scotsman who won an Academy Award and portrayed James Bond seven times, proving to the world that nobody could do it better, has died. He was 90.

Connery’s son Jason told the Associated Press on Saturday that his father died peacefully in his sleep overnight in the Bahamas where he lived, having been “unwell for some time.”

Asked to account for the phenomenal success of the Bond films, Connery told Playboy in a November 1965 interview that “timing had a lot to do with it.”

“Bond came on the scene after the war, at a time when people were fed up with rationing and drab times and utility clothes and a predominately gray color in life,” he said. “Along comes this character who cuts right through all that like a very hot knife through butter, with his clothing and his cars and his wine and his women.”

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 02, 2020 at 01:03 AM | 29 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 02, 2020 at 01:04 AM (#5986983)
"Do you expect me to talk?"
   2. mathesond Posted: November 02, 2020 at 02:43 PM (#5987047)
Ok, I laughed at #1. What else would have been expected?
   3. flournoy Posted: November 02, 2020 at 07:55 PM (#5987089)
What else would have been expected?

Death, obviously...
   4. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: November 02, 2020 at 08:04 PM (#5987091)
I am hoping someone will decide to air Zardoz this week.
   5. OsunaSakata Posted: November 03, 2020 at 11:38 AM (#5987137)
Funny Zardoz costume: https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2183782/86263139.jpg
   6. phredbird Posted: November 05, 2020 at 10:48 PM (#5987493)

i liked james bond as a kid, the movies haven't aged well IMHO.

his five best non-bond films, ranked:

1. 'the hill' -- connery as a tough guy WWII soldier in a brutal middle eastern stockade for punching an officer. it's a very raw viewing experience.

all the others are roughly the same.

'untouchables' -- his performance is the only saving grace of a dumb movie that plays fast and loose with the facts of eliot ness and al capone.

'marnie' -- watched it so long ago but i'm pretty sure i liked it. it was a hitchcock film and his performance was praised.

'the man who would be king' -- worth a watch for sure, connery and caine are a great combo. huston is our greatest underrated director.

'entrapment' -- a little dated, but once again he demonstrates how well he works with certain actors, in this case his matchup with zeta-jones is delightful.

mild recommendations for the indiana jones thing, 'robin and marian', 'russia house', 'name of the rose', and i guess that one he did with wesley snipes about the japanese taking over america back in the 90s, 'rising sun'.

7. Ron J Posted: November 08, 2020 at 12:55 PM (#5987838)
Sigh. 2020. Alex Trebek now. Not really a surprise of course.
   8. phredbird Posted: November 08, 2020 at 05:43 PM (#5987855)

i was so saddened to see the news about ol' Alex.

his wit and understated charm were a real balm over the last four years.

the show has announced we'll have episodes through christmas.

RIP
   9. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: November 09, 2020 at 12:43 AM (#5987881)
A very bad week for SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy sketch.
   10. Esmailyn Gonzalez Sr. Posted: November 09, 2020 at 09:02 AM (#5987899)
Hide Turd Ferguson!
   11. Nasty Nate Posted: November 09, 2020 at 09:06 AM (#5987901)
I guess Trebek had been filming until recently, and they will have episodes to air deep into December. It will be emotional watching - a weird statement for a game show.
   12. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: November 09, 2020 at 11:01 AM (#5987926)
1. 'the hill' -- connery as a tough guy WWII soldier in a brutal middle eastern stockade for punching an officer. it's a very raw viewing experience.

I'll second *The Hill* rec. Directed by Sidney Lumet.
   13. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 09, 2020 at 04:46 PM (#5987988)
"Harutyuumu" by nakigoto. A bit of a slow starter, but my favorite song of the past month or so. I love the guitar sound, and the extended solo that Ami Okada rips into at about the 3:10 mark is wonderful, as is the final vocal segment after the solo, with the busy drumming.
   14. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 26, 2020 at 03:17 AM (#5991240)
"Orange" by Akai Ko-en. I had been wondering what would happen today. November 25 had been announced as the release date for this single before band leader/guitarist Maisa Tsuno took her life last month. I'm glad they went ahead with the release - the song deserves to be heard - but it's a bit hard to watch the video, knowing what was to come.
   15. vortex of dissipation Posted: November 27, 2020 at 03:49 PM (#5991342)
A very nice live version (with string section!) of "Circle of Time", the closing track to GLIM SPANKY's excellent new album "Walking on Fire". The band is very much influenced by Western rock of the '60s and '70s, and it's great to hear a band do a rave-up ending to a song, as bands used to do back then. Feels so strange to have it end, though, and then hear the silence in an empty hall and be brought back to 2020...
   16. Baldrick Posted: December 18, 2020 at 05:18 PM (#5994966)
Wasn't able to find a December thread, which is probably reasonable since there were only 15 posts in the November one. In any case, here are my Top Songs of 2020 and Top Albums of 2020.

As always, these will mostly be appealing to you if you like indie rock women singing about their feelings, but there's a decent bit of electronic stuff, quite a lot of ambient, some pop, some rock, and quite a bit of other stuff in small doses.

I'm curious to know what other folks have been listening to this year. And also just how much you've listened to music. I know a lot of folks who basically stopped listening to music after COVID hit, which feels bizarre to me.
   17. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: December 18, 2020 at 05:57 PM (#5994967)
I've recently been immersing myself in '60s garage rock, so probably I'd be better equipped to judge someone's picks for best songs & LPs (though very few of these bands recorded more than a single or two, of course) for 1967. Offhand, the only new stuff I acquired this year was the latest by KMFDM, Wire, the Old 97's & the Chats, four acts that have nothing in common.
   18. person man Posted: December 18, 2020 at 08:47 PM (#5994976)
20 songs from 2020:

1. Them! - Acid Mammoth
2. Icee Blue - Crisman
3. Bodge - Jabba
4. Commuter Rage - Painted Zeros
5. Rose Royce - Preservation featuring Quelle Chris
6. Try Burning This One - The Exbats
7. Holes in Everything - The Stroppies
8. The Howling - Yatra
9. Slow Demise of a Futuristic Mind - Man-Eaters
10. The Fury Never Fades - Hour of Lead
11. Button Masher - Aesop Rock
12. Inauguration Day - Coriky
13. Destroyer - Henrik Palm
14. Cloud City - Hum
15. Keep the Change - Mattiel
16. We All Get a Raise - We Versus The Shark
17. Sensations of Cool - TTRRUUCES
18. Survival - Soulside
19. Stay There - Mourn
20. How to Stop Caring - Park National
   19. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: December 19, 2020 at 11:16 PM (#5995153)
Wasn't able to find a December thread, which is probably reasonable since there were only 15 posts in the November one. In any case, here are my Top Songs of 2020 and Top Albums of 2020.

Baldrick, gotta say, I checked out those lists out of curiosity. To even create a list shows you're exposed to more new music than I am. So I peruse the list. None of it is familiar to me. "Okay," I think. "Maybe this is someone whose tastes are just a whole 'nother body of water compared to mine." So I search the site for the first artist I know well who came to mind: Bob Dylan. There are numerous search results, so clearly my unfamiliarity with the titles in your 2020 albums list is all about me. Anyway, I click on your post about top 10 Dylan songs. "That'll at least gives me a sense of his taste," I tell myself.

Well, we've got a lot of disagreement with your choices. But that's not my point. Your three-paragraph description of "Tangled Up In Blue" is stunning. I don't think anyone could capture such a complex, woven song so succinctly. I tip my cap.
   20. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 19, 2020 at 11:51 PM (#5995172)
Your three-paragraph description of "Tangled Up In Blue" is stunning. I don't think anyone could capture such a complex, woven song so succinctly. I tip my cap.

Agreed. And that's my favorite Bob Dylan song, also.
   21. Lowry Seasoning Salt Posted: December 20, 2020 at 12:00 AM (#5995177)
Agreed. And that's my favorite Bob Dylan song, also.

Among favorites (not best) it might not make my top 10. But Baldrick's description, like the song, was one of those times where afterward the reaction is, "Whoa! What was that?! Gotta do that again. NOW."
   22. Baldrick Posted: December 21, 2020 at 05:28 PM (#5995391)
Your three-paragraph description of "Tangled Up In Blue" is stunning. I don't think anyone could capture such a complex, woven song so succinctly. I tip my cap.

Wow, thanks.

And yes, I think my favorite Dylan songs are pretty specific, and I'm sure will differ quite a bit from just about everyone else. But to me that's part of what makes list-making so fun. Trying to sort out what goes in each place really sharpens your thoughts about just how much you like a song (and what specifically about it is so appealing). So it's fun to then try and write that out in a way that will also mean something who doesn't already share your idiosyncrasies.

Doesn't always work, but sometimes you hit a home run.
   23. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM (#5995443)
Thanks for posting that Baldrick. I normally do peruse your lists and glad to see it again. I actually ran counter to your experience. I dove back into music during Covid. Lots of reasons. I now WFH permanently (good opportunity to play stuff during the day), a lot more walks around the neighborhood and trails, and frankly I wasn't committed to day after day saga of news (mostly bad).
I'm surprised Tame Impala's-The Slow Rush didn't make your list. I found that to be quite good, likely not getting the love a normal year would have brought to Kevin Parker. Glad to see you put the War on Drugs album on the list. Yeah, live is usually fun and that's all, but it is really a strong record. I think about the show I attended a few years back everytime I hear them. I think they are definitely a must see band. The Beths another good selection. I enjoyed Waxahatchee quite a bit. Others that I enjoyed (admitting I can't credibly assemble some kind of best albums list). Oceanator was worth my time+, I'll go back to that again, my kids liked (and I kind of liked it) Beabadoobe. I know I'm omitting other noteworthy discoveries. Fleet Foxes was interestingly enjoyable to me, despite thinking it could have come out in 1975/1985.

By the way, I sat through Smashing Pumpkins latest self-indulgence. Quite sad I've concluded. A few faint moments to enjoy but ultimately a gluttonous chore to listen to that to the end. Was Jimmy Chamberlin being punished I kept thinking.
   24. BDC Posted: December 25, 2020 at 04:46 PM (#5995970)
Yes, Baldrick, I really enjoyed your list. I have been listening quite a bit to Gordi as a result - that is very much the kind of music I like, more so than her earlier albums because not as lavishly produced.
   25. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 25, 2020 at 05:05 PM (#5995971)
And also just how much you've listened to music. I know a lot of folks who basically stopped listening to music after COVID hit, which feels bizarre to me.

A lot. Probably even more than usual. One thing I did this year was to make sure I walked regularly for exercise, so I put a whole bunch of playlists on my iPod to listen to while I walk, which made the walks a lot more pleasant. I was even inspired to make a year end list of songs, which I haven't done in ages.

This list is primarily all-female bands, although I broadened the parameters a bit - to J-rock and J-pop songs with a female singer, meaning that there are all-female bands, mixed-gender bands with a female singer, and female solo artists. Song titles are often English translations via Google, and may not be 100% accurate. Links are provided for the Top 15, plus two really good live videos listed after the Top 40. Anyway, here's the Girl Band Mecca 2020 Top 40:

1 - 1997 - Regal Lily
2 - Mischief - tricot
3 - There Is No Tomorrow - SHISHAMO
4 - Spring Dream - nakigoto
5 - Daggers - Culenasm
6 - stolen worlD - Seiko Oomoro
7 - Centimeter - the peggies
8 - A.M.D.K.J. - SCANDAL
9 - FREE - Polkadot Stingray
10 - To You in the Desert - Hitsujibungaku
11 - Eat the Wind - Yorushika
12 - Brightness - Sachie Hiraga and Homecomings
13 - Jealous Person - Eriko Hashimoto
14 - I Want to See You - snooty
15 - Girls, Youth and Disappointment - Kaneyori Masaru
16 - Sea Side - Split end
17 - Mitsumetetai - CRUNCH
18 - FULL HOUSE - GIRLFRIEND
19 - Raspberry Tart - Rina Katahira
20 - Up To You - SILENT SIREN
21 - Red Alliance - Tokyo Jihen
22 - Hollyhock Bridge - Sayuri
23 - Yura Yura - Lucie,Too
24 - Teenage Sunsets - Hump Back
25 - Flower Song - FLOWER FLOWER
26 - Like a Cat That Can Only Sleep In Her Arms - Kaneko Ayano
27 - Overflow - YeYe
28 - Time Warp - PERFUME
29 - Suicide Girl - SPOOL
30 - DeadRock - Miyuna
31 - White Mud - Mone Kamishiraishi
32 - You - MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS
33 - Eikou e no Yell - ELFRIEDE
34 - Smoke - Yuki Akira
35 - October I Forget the Silent You - Atarayo
36 - Wash - Fuyuko Shioiri
37 - Racing into the Night - YOASOBI
38 - Orange - Akai Ko-en
39 - Light - Aurain
40 - Farewell – Aimyon

Bonus: Two really good official live videos of older songs that were released this year

Choose me - BAND-MAID
The Final Episode - yonige
   26. Baldrick Posted: December 25, 2020 at 05:24 PM (#5995973)
Anyway, here's the Girl Band Mecca 2020 Top 40

Nice. I don't love the genre with anything like your passion but I always find some nice stuff from your recommendations. Look forward to listening.

I had also forgotten that there was a band called Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, and was delighted anew to be reminded of their existence.
   27. "bothsidesism" word 57i66135 Posted: December 25, 2020 at 05:28 PM (#5995974)
things stuck in orifices this year:
“PATIENT’S SIBLINGS PUT A PIECE OF PAPER IN PATIENT’S RIGHT EAR TRYING TO SHOW HIM A MAGIC TRICK”
“FOUND A BEAD AND PLACED IT IN HIS EAR SO HE WOULDN’T LOSE IT”
“PLAYING WITH PHONE AND FELL ASLEEP WHEN HE WOKE UP HIS STYLUS WAS IN HIS URETHA. INJURY OCCURRED 4 DAYS AGO AND DIDN’T SEEK TREATMENT”
“HAS HAD A MARBLE IN HIS PENIS FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS AND DECIDED HE NEEDS IT REMOVED”
“PATIENT WAS INTOXICATED 4 MONTHS AGO PLACED A CRUMBLE OF TIN FOIL INSIDE VAGINA”
“PUT A PENCIL UP RECTUM AND NOW NOT ABLE TO SIT”
“WAS INTOXICATED & IS UNCERTAIN IF SHE USED HER ANAL BEADS OR NOT, CANT FIND THEM @ HOME […] NONE FOUND IN ER EXAM”
“3 WEEKS AGO HE WAS DRUNK AND PUT A LIGHT BULB UP HIS RECTUM.”
   28. BDC Posted: December 25, 2020 at 06:51 PM (#5995984)
I watched 70 opera videos this year, as well as listening to 12 complete operas on CD and innumerable opera highlights. I am just assuming nobody wants me to post a list :) None of these operas were composed more recently than just post-WW2, but some of the performances were very recent, even a couple from early 2020 just before the opera houses closed. Lisette Oropesa in Verdi's I Masnadieri from Milan (2019) was particularly good.
   29. "bothsidesism" word 57i66135 Posted: December 25, 2020 at 10:05 PM (#5996005)
the expanse is kind of almost good.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BarrysLazyBoy
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(1782 - 11:33pm, Jun 20)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogJuneteenth Weekend OMNICHATTER, for June 18-20, 2021
(133 - 11:29pm, Jun 20)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogCollege baseball pitcher Sang Ho Baek dies after complications from Tommy John surgery
(8 - 11:28pm, Jun 20)
Last: Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams)

NewsblogRays call up top prospect Wander Franco
(1 - 10:32pm, Jun 20)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogThe Padres Need a First Base Upgrade
(2 - 5:25pm, Jun 20)
Last: Joyful Calculus Instructor

NewsblogOT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (June-August 2021)
(3 - 2:46pm, Jun 20)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - In Which Euro 2020 Is Played in 2021
(215 - 2:16pm, Jun 20)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

Sox TherapyAnd Breathe
(16 - 10:32am, Jun 20)
Last: John DiFool2

NewsblogBaseball Reference Adds Negro Leagues Statistics, Rewriting Its Record Book
(151 - 9:03am, Jun 20)
Last: ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick

NewsblogHow baseball’s response to RFK’s death inspired some players to fight back and sit out
(1 - 8:45am, Jun 20)
Last: willow19

NewsblogFrom the spitball to Spider Tack: A brief history of foreign substance use by pitchers in baseball
(2 - 12:46am, Jun 20)
Last: the Hugh Jorgan returns

Newsblog2021 NCAA College World Series schedule, live stream, time: Vanderbilt eyes repeat as eight-team field is set
(1 - 8:46pm, Jun 19)
Last: Cblau

NewsblogHe Made Sticky Stuff for MLB Pitchers for 15 Years. Now He's Speaking Out.
(22 - 5:03pm, Jun 19)
Last: Captain Joe Bivens, Elderly Northeastern Jew

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(13243 - 10:40am, Jun 19)
Last: Never Give an Inge (Dave)

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-17-2021
(5 - 2:24pm, Jun 18)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)

Page rendered in 0.3733 seconds
48 querie(s) executed