Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, September 03, 2019

OT - Catch-All Pop Culture Extravaganza (September 2019)

The 2019-20 TV season is around the corner, so here is Deadline’s annual rundown of fall premiere dates for new and returning series. The list covers more than 300 broadcast, cable and streaming shows bowing between September 1 and December 31 and some high-profile one-off programs.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: September 03, 2019 at 07:54 AM | 360 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: movies, music, off-topic, television, whatever else belongs under the rubric of 'popular culture'

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4
   301. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: September 28, 2019 at 01:33 PM (#5884012)
And yet it wasn't recorded by a bunch of Japanese girls. Bizarre.
   302. PreservedFish Posted: September 28, 2019 at 01:39 PM (#5884013)
I don't know what the music equivalent of KFC is, but it's not the Beatles, and it's probably not even the Eagles. It's probably some slick overproduced Nashville garbage.
   303. Bote Man Posted: September 28, 2019 at 01:48 PM (#5884014)
Nothing wrong with having Abbey Road be your favorite album. It's a fantastic record.

Wait until you hear the followup album: Downton Abbey Road.
   304. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: September 28, 2019 at 01:51 PM (#5884016)
Speaking of the Beatles, though not Abbey Road, I discovered this Star Wars (A New Hope) / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band mashup on YouTube last week and it is ... ####### great.

Really well-done geekery.

Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans
   305. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 01:56 PM (#5884018)
I don't know what the music equivalent of KFC is...

Fried chicken is incredible, but KFC is terrible. So it's gotta be something that can be great, but in this specific case, it was not.

So I nominate this.
   306. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5884019)
It's probably some slick overproduced Nashville garbage.
Zac Brown Band. He even wrote a hit song about liking fried chicken. Seriously.
   307. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5884021)
I know a Nashville band that has a song about fried chicken.

I don't know if I'd call them "overproduced" though...
   308. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: September 28, 2019 at 02:12 PM (#5884022)
Fried chicken is incredible, but KFC is terrible.

US KFC is ... cromulent. KFC overseas, where the Colonel's "secret mix" gets tweaked to appeal to local palettes, can be much more than that.

But never mind that, I had the other KFC for the first time yesterday ... that's right, Korean Fried Chicken.

It was awesome. Crunchiest fried chicken I've ever had, like the chicken had "Fried Chicken Magic Shell" on it.

309. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 02:17 PM (#5884023)
US KFC is ... cromulent

Yeah, that would be my feeling too. It's fried chicken, so it can only get so bad, it has a pretty solid floor. But it can be so such much better than that, why bother with KFC?
   310. Swoboda is freedom Posted: September 28, 2019 at 02:20 PM (#5884026)
KFC is was too greasy. There is nothing wrong with fried chicken, but KFC's is not good.
   311. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 02:36 PM (#5884029)
I had KFC in Inuvik, which at 68 degrees and change N is the Northernmost KFC in the world.

When we walked up to the counter, the cashier started off by apologising by saying "I'm sorry, this isn't KFC." Initially we were confused, he was wearing a KFC uniform, there were KFC items on the menuboard. But it turns out that KFC won't send chicken that far out of its normal supply chain.

So in the Land of the Permafrost, this tiny little location is forced to fend for itself.

"Oh, no reason to apologise for that, " we said. "KFC is no great shakes, so I'm sure whatever you have is just as good."

The Inuvik KFC is attached to a Northmart, which is famous throughout the Arctic for bringing groceries to the good people, at not especially good prices. The KFC gets their fried chicken through the Northmart, and it's just regular old frozen fried chicken like you would buy anywhere. Same with the coleslaw, potato salad, whatever.

It was alright. Tremendously expensive of course, but that's the way it goes.
   312. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 03:33 PM (#5884045)
My handle gives away my favorite band. Others near the top (still active) - Radiohead, Wilco, Drive by Truckers, come to mind

On the fence about running to the local music shop to drop money on the new Replacements box set. Thoughts?
   313. Bote Man Posted: September 28, 2019 at 03:35 PM (#5884046)
I thought "yo la tengo" was an outfielder calling off his fellow players in order to make a clean catch??
   314. Lassus Posted: September 28, 2019 at 03:42 PM (#5884049)
that's right, Korean Fried Chicken.
It was awesome. Crunchiest fried chicken I've ever had, like the chicken had "Fried Chicken Magic Shell" on it.

There's a place that made this on St. Marks that was the most crack-like food I've ever had. I'd imagine it's probably gone now. PF may have eaten there back in the day. North side of the street, west end of the block.
   315. Bote Man Posted: September 28, 2019 at 03:54 PM (#5884053)
The worst part is the skin, so the first thing I do to my fried chicken is scrape all that skin and garbage coating off there. I guess that kind of defeats the point of the coating, but it's just nasty, nasty, nasty! At that point they're all pretty much the same.
   316. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: September 28, 2019 at 03:56 PM (#5884054)
The worst part is the skin, so the first thing I do to my fried chicken is scrape all that skin and garbage coating off there. I guess that kind of defeats the point of the coating, but it's just nasty, nasty, nasty! At that point they're all pretty much the same.

Blasphemy!
   317. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 03:59 PM (#5884055)
I've been to another bogus KFC, way on the other side of the world from the one in Inuvik.

It was in Te Puia Springs in NZ. It was in my favourite part of New Zealand that I went to, the Northeast corner of the North Island.

Te Puia Springs is tiny, about 400 people, and the KFC is its only grocery store. "KFC" in this context stands for "Kai for Coasties", "Kai" meaning, "eat, drink, consume, food" in Māori.

You can tell from the sign though, it's not legit. Just one look and you know what one of the secret herbs is, right off the bat.
   318. MY PAIN IS NOT A HOLIDAY (CoB). Posted: September 28, 2019 at 04:03 PM (#5884057)

There's a place that made this on St. Marks that was the most crack-like food I've ever had.

I'm definitely intrigued to try more KFC. Luckily, that won't be too difficult living here in south O.C.
   319. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 04:19 PM (#5884060)
313 - that, too which gives away my favorite baseball team at the same time
   320. Bote Man Posted: September 28, 2019 at 04:25 PM (#5884062)
313 - that, too which gives away my favorite baseball team at the same time

Still baffled.

Disclaimer: I am stupid.
   321. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 04:31 PM (#5884064)
Old story about the 1962 Mets. Here, from Wikipedia

During the 1962 season, New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and Chacón frequently found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into the 160-pound Chacón, who spoke only Spanish. Ashburn learned to yell, "¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!" which is "I've got it" in Spanish. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by 200-pound left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish and had missed a team meeting that proposed using the words "¡Yo la tengo!" as a way to avoid outfield collisions.[2] After getting up, Thomas asked Ashburn, "What the hell is a Yellow Tango?".[3] The band, Yo La Tengo, gets its name from this baseball anecdote.[citation needed]

Probably apocryphal but a fun story
   322. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 04:33 PM (#5884065)
Kentucky Fried Chicken plays an important plot point in the great Korean movie,집으로.

I know nobody's going to watch it, so I won't worry about spoilers.

The young boy is sent from his big city home in Korea, to live with his mute, very old school Grandma up in the hills. His parents should have their children taken away, they're doing a really bad job. The kid's a little snot, his Grandmother is a saint. His Gameboy runs out of batteries, so he steals some of her stuff to hock, but of course everybody in this little village recognises his Grandmother's possessions, so that plan falls through. The little ingrate starts ######## about the quality of his food, which is a very subsistence agriculture kind of diet. "KENTUCKY FRIED! KENTUCKY FRIED!" he bawls over and over, and of course his Grandma has no idea what he's going on about, but through miming she is able to understand that he wants some chicken. So she goes to town with some melons to trade for a chicken, brings home a live one, which she then slaughters, cleans and plucks, and then boils to make chicken broth/boiled chicken out of, because how was this old lady out in the hicks, living like people did centuries ago, supposed to know what the #### "Kentucky Fried" means. After she does all this work, the little #### sees the boiled chicken, and freaks out, throws it on the ground and starts bawling like the little bastard he is. You can watch a condensed view of the whole scene here.

He eventually eats some of it because there is literally nothing else to eat, and when his Grandma gets sick over night, he feeds it to her, which is the first thoughtful thing he's done in the whole movie. If you like Grandmas, valuing traditional culture, and have ever felt bad that there's been millions of people who've worked their fingers to the bone for nothing more than bare minimum survival, you should watch this film.
   323. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 28, 2019 at 04:47 PM (#5884069)
Kentucky Fried Chicken plays an important plot point in the great Korean movie,집으로.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the film, I was struck by this fact from the wiki article about the casting of the grandmother:

"Many critics praised the style of the movie as well as the acting of the inexperienced Kim Eul-boon who at 78, had not only never acted before, but never even seen a film."

One has to wonder exactly how the director found her and convinced her to take a lead role in the film.
   324. Baldrick Posted: September 28, 2019 at 05:03 PM (#5884076)
Sort of like the gent whose comics histories I copy edit. He noted a couple of days ago on FB that his fave LP, Abbey Road, had just turned 50. Also a big Eagles fan. All one can do is shake one's head. It's sort of like that Primate who asserted a few years ago that his favorite restaurant is KFC. Jesus.

Co-sign vortex. Abbey Road is an all-time great album. Certainly in my personal top 10. Probably cracks the top 5. And I listen to tons of new stuff.
   325. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 05:33 PM (#5884080)
I'll jump on the Abbey Road bandwagon. Probably my second fave Beatles LP with Revolver in the lead. My 16 year old hip hop loving son has been listening to the Beatles in the past week and picking my brain about them. Pretty fun conversations.

I went and bought the Replacements box set. Delighted that the store also sent me home with a cassette and a coaster. Nice looking set. Listened to side one of the album and had all kinds of warm feelings. I have long loved Don't Tell a Soul despite knowing that it sounds terrible.
   326. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 05:40 PM (#5884082)
I'll jump on the Abbey Road bandwagon. Probably my second fave Beatles LP with Revolver in the lead.
Likewise.
   327. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 05:48 PM (#5884083)
Are you a side one or a side two proponent? I have SO much love for side two of the album.
   328. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: September 28, 2019 at 05:53 PM (#5884087)
Abbey Road is a very nice album. I've heard it far too many times to have much interest in ever repeating the experience. Same goes for most of the rest of their oeuvre -- I'm just over-familiar with it. Wouldn't turn off the radio to avoid it, but wouldn't seek it out.

The poor souls who buy umpteen versions of their work remind me of the losers who watch the same movies 20 or 50 or 100 times. Those are cries for help.
   329. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 06:02 PM (#5884092)
I have SO much love for side two of the album

Speaking of the བར་དོ་ཐོས་གྲོལ, Laurie Anderson / Tenzin Choegyal / Jesse Paris Smith, Songs From the Bardo, came out yesterday. I'm just getting a chance to listen to it now...even as we speak!
   330. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: September 28, 2019 at 06:06 PM (#5884093)
If you find the skin/coating repellent, you simply don't have a palate for fried chicken and would be best-served eating something else.
   331. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 06:57 PM (#5884103)
Are you a side one or a side two proponent? I have SO much love for side two of the album.
Major side two as well. Here Comes the Sun is one of my all-time favorite pop/rock songs, the medley is masterful, and of course "The End" is the perfect ending for the group. George, John and Paul trade guitar solos, then Ringo does his one and only solo, and then they finish with "...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." Great final statement.*

*Of course, there's "Her Majesty," which I know was cut out of the middle of the medley and tacked onto the end by the tape engineer. But I like to think of it as Paul, ever the showman of the group, poking his head back out for one last bow as the curtain descends.
   332. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 06:59 PM (#5884104)
Revolver is just about a perfect album, though. Every song is great**, and not one of them hits the three-minute mark.

**OK, maybe not "Love You To."
   333. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:00 PM (#5884105)
Oh, I thought we were talking about Side 2 of Revolver.

Never mind me.
   334. PreservedFish Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:31 PM (#5884107)

This might be the worst opinion I've heard on anything ever.

Lassus, I don't recall the KoreanFC place on St. Mark's, but I can confirm that Korean Fried Chicken is superb.
   335. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:35 PM (#5884110)
I was just waiting to see your reaction to that gem, PF.
   336. PreservedFish Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:48 PM (#5884113)
Yeah, I'm struggling to come up with an analogy to express how terrible it is. It's antithetical to the very idea of fried chicken.
   337. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:50 PM (#5884115)
Maybe it's like ordering pizza and then scraping off all the toppings, cheese and sauce?
   338. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:52 PM (#5884117)
Fried Chicken with no skin...is like...The Velvet Underground with no Lou, John, Sterling, or Moe.
   339. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 28, 2019 at 07:55 PM (#5884120)
"I gave my love fried chicken which had no skin..."
   340. Omineca Greg Posted: September 28, 2019 at 08:05 PM (#5884126)
When she smiles my way
My eyes go out in vain
She's got no chicken skin
Yeah, that's fried chicken skin
   341. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: September 28, 2019 at 08:22 PM (#5884129)
Fried chicken without the skin is not fried chicken. The end.
   342. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 09:25 PM (#5884156)
Monica - the Lloyd Cole reference made my night
   343. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 09:53 PM (#5884165)
Omineca, not Monica. Ugh auto correct
   344. yo la tengo Posted: September 28, 2019 at 09:54 PM (#5884166)
Thoroughly happy with my purchase of Dead Man's Pop

Listening to the Wallace remix of Don't Tell a Soul. Will go to sleep happy tonight
   345. Lassus Posted: September 28, 2019 at 10:34 PM (#5884185)
I assumed Boteman's #315 was a joke.
   346. Commissioner Bud Black Beltre Hillman Fred Posted: September 29, 2019 at 02:27 AM (#5884274)
A joke, or an attempt to supplant cardsfanboy as BBTF's resident gourmet.

This place is already up on the fried chicken/music nexus. And it's delicious.
   347. Omineca Greg Posted: September 29, 2019 at 08:07 AM (#5884282)
Local Singapore treat, 蝦醬雞, Har cheong gai, or shrimp paste chicken in English, is wonderful, wonderful food. You measure the umami by the megatonne when you're eating it.

Story on a young man turning his back on the career he had picked for himself (business/machinery sales) and following his dream of perfecting his favourite childhood food and bringing it to the people.
   348. PreservedFish Posted: September 29, 2019 at 09:55 AM (#5884290)
That sounds good.

Probably the best fried chicken variant I've ever had was at Hattie B's in Nashville. They take a spoonful of the lard in which the chicken has fried, and emulsify it with an extraordinary amount of cayenne pepper, for a spicy sauce to add to the crispy coating. Through some sort of wizardry the whole thing stays crispy and perfect.

Not that I've eaten at many of the renowned fried chicken spots in the country. My good friend, though, opened a fried chicken restaurant, and in the course of his research decided that Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans has the country's best fried chicken.
   349. Baldrick Posted: September 30, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5884705)
For those interested, a playlist of the stuff I've been listening to this summer. As usual these days, it's mostly women, and most of it falls in the broad category of 'indie rock.' But there's plenty of other stuff if that's not your jam.
   350. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 30, 2019 at 03:17 PM (#5884707)
My good friend, though, opened a fried chicken restaurant, and in the course of his research decided that Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans has the country's best fried chicken.
I've been there...maybe it wasn't their best day? I wasn't blown away.
   351. PreservedFish Posted: September 30, 2019 at 03:23 PM (#5884713)
Don't know, never been there myself. But it was an opinion shared by BTF's erstwhile Sam Eagle character, Cargo Cultist.
   352. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: September 30, 2019 at 03:27 PM (#5884715)
Now get off my lawn while I listen to the new KMFDM

KMFDM, doing it again?

Will need to check that out.

edit: Opeth's new album is excellent, btw. Straight up prog rock, no death metal growls any longer, or really, any metal period. there is even a power ballad!
   353. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: September 30, 2019 at 03:39 PM (#5884719)
I'm liking it a lot -- the KMFDM, that is. (Never had any interest in death metal so never paid any attention to Opeth, & I'm just as uninterested in prog rock, so that takes care of that.)

One song, Oh My Goth, sounds almost like vintage Electric Hellfire Club (though at this late date all Electric Hellfire Club is vintage, I suppose) with Sabrina Satana singing crossed with Garbage in their prime.
   354. Lassus Posted: September 30, 2019 at 03:48 PM (#5884724)
I've been to nationally-lauded Bertha's Kitchen in Charleston, and while I understand the difference between KFC and any decent restaurant, I'm still also of the mind that a blind taste test between the 300/400 best fried chicken restaurants in the country will yield no clear favorite.
   355. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: September 30, 2019 at 04:21 PM (#5884735)
I'm almost universally disappointed by fried chicken. I can't even remember having great fried chicken, except for the chicken wings at our local Chinese place, which sadly closed. To me, KFC is good fried chicken because it's not awful.
   356. Howie Menckel Posted: September 30, 2019 at 04:30 PM (#5884738)
wow, a place where I've actually eaten - Hattie B's in Nashville!

maybe because it was so hyped and there was a line, but ... it tasted like fried chicken to me.

I had the milder version, though, so I guess it may be ordinary and then lifted up by that cayenne pepper to something more.
   357. Der-K's emotional investment is way up Posted: September 30, 2019 at 05:11 PM (#5884758)
I can talk about fried chicken at length (it's delicious) but, then again, I also sometimes pull off the skin (for health, not flavor reasons) so you might want to discount what I think. (Namely, KFC has improved quite a bit in recent years - you're best off getting one of their weird flavors - but why do that if other options are available? Also I'm very thankful for the Nashville hot chicken trend from a few years back - delicious, though terrible for you.)

I imagine denizens of this site are already familiar with this, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention KFC's relevance to Japanese baseball...
   358. gef, talking mongoose & suburban housewife Posted: September 30, 2019 at 06:02 PM (#5884772)
I can talk about fried chicken at length (it's delicious) but, then again, I also sometimes pull off the skin (for health, not flavor reasons)

My sympathies. I've actually had to begin avoiding it pretty consistently because of the havoc fried stuff tends to wreak with my traitorous digestive system.

Otherwise ...

I'm almost universally disappointed by fried chicken. I can't even remember having great fried chicken, except for the chicken wings at our local Chinese place,

Where in the #### do you live, snapper? Some godforsaken whitebread hole?
   359. Chokeland Bill Posted: September 30, 2019 at 06:26 PM (#5884778)
edit: Opeth's new album is excellent, btw. Straight up prog rock, no death metal growls any longer, or really, any metal period. there is even a power ballad!

It's fine, but I think it's held back a fair bit by the production. I never expected to have the vocals be the worst part of an Opeth record, but there's way too much multi-tracking, echoing, and other effects. Pale Communion sounded perfect, I have no idea what the thought process was on the last two.

Musically, there are some good songs (tracks 2, 3, 5, and 10), but most of their post-metal material has had a lack of focus and drive. Some great parts, but fewer great songs. Really, it started with the second half of Watershed, so it might just be the loss of key members from the classic line up. Still, the new album is way better than Heritage.
   360. vortex of dissipation Posted: September 30, 2019 at 07:20 PM (#5884793)
I imagine denizens of this site are already familiar with this, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention KFC's relevance to Japanese baseball...

The Tigers just won three make-up games over the weekend, all of which they had to win to qualify for the final Central league playoff spot. So perhaps there's hope...
Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogMLB rookie status for 2020 amended
(4 - 11:33pm, Sep 28)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogEmpty Stadium Sports Will Be Really Weird
(9760 - 10:10pm, Sep 28)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogMLB playoffs: Bracket, dates, neutral-site bubbles, everything else to know about 2020 baseball postseason
(42 - 9:38pm, Sep 28)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

Sox TherapyMeet the 2021 Boston Red Sox - Position Players
(7 - 9:23pm, Sep 28)
Last: karlmagnus

NewsblogOT - NBA Bubble Thread
(3198 - 8:52pm, Sep 28)
Last: ramifications of an exciting 57i66135

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 9-28-2020
(10 - 8:17pm, Sep 28)
Last: Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network)

NewsblogFormer San Francisco Giants OF Hunter Pence announces retirement, ending 14-year MLB career
(20 - 7:19pm, Sep 28)
Last: Ziggy: social distancing since 1980

NewsblogLos Angeles Angels fire GM Billy Eppler after five seasons
(23 - 6:24pm, Sep 28)
Last: The Gary DiSarcina Fan Club (JAHV)

NewsblogRon Roenicke let go as Boston Red Sox manager; team will begin search immediately
(20 - 6:03pm, Sep 28)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

NewsblogOT - Soccer Thread - Brave New World
(239 - 4:56pm, Sep 28)
Last: The Marksist

NewsblogWaPo: If baseball keeps these grotesque expanded playoffs, it will have lost its soul
(33 - 4:11pm, Sep 28)
Last: Ron J

Gonfalon Cubs60 Second Season Preview
(84 - 1:01pm, Sep 28)
Last: McCoy

Sox TherapyParty Like It's 1975
(17 - 11:27am, Sep 28)
Last: Jose Needs an Absurd Ukulele Concert

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1931 Ballot
(6 - 9:44am, Sep 28)
Last: DL from MN

Hall of MeritMost Meritorious Player: 1931 Discussion