Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 08, 2019

OT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2019 - January 2020)

December 28  12:00 PM  Cotton Bowl            Memphis v. Penn State
              4:00 PM  Peach Bowl             LSU v. Oklahoma
              8:00 PM  Fiesta Bowl            Ohio State v. Clemson

December 30   8:00 PM  Orange Bowl            Florida v. Virginia

January 1     5:00 PM  Rose Bowl              Oregon v. Wisconsin
              8:45 PM  Sugar Bowl             Baylor v. Georgia

January 13    8:00 PM  Championship Game      Peach winner v. Fiesta winner
Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 08, 2019 at 06:18 PM | 321 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 08, 2019 at 06:14 PM (#5906864)
December 20   2:00 PM  Bahamas Bowl           Charlotte v. Buffalo
              7:30 PM  Frisco Bowl            Kent State v. Utah State

December 21   2:00 PM  New Mexico Bowl        San Diego State v. Central Michigan
              2:30 PM  Sunshine Classic       Georgia Southern v. Liberty
              3:30 PM  Boca Raton Bowl        SMU v. Florida Atlantic
              5:30 PM  Camellia Bowl          Arkansas State v. Florida International
              7:30 PM  Las Vegas Bowl         Boise State v. Washington
              9:00 PM  New Orleans Bowl       UAB v. Appalachian State

December 23   2:30 PM  St. Petersburg Bowl    Marshall v. Central Florida

December 24   8:00 PM  Hawai'i Bowl           BYU v. Hawaii

December 26   4:00 PM  Independence Bowl      Louisiana Tech v. Miami (FL)
              8:00 PM  Cherry Bowl            Eastern Michigan v. Pittsburgh

December 27  12:00 PM  Military Bowl          North Carolina v. Temple
              3:20 PM  Gotham Bowl            Wake Forest v. Michigan State
              6:45 PM  Texas Bowl             Oklahoma State v. Texas A&M
              8:00 PM  Holiday Bowl           USC v. Iowa
             10:15 PM  Copper Bowl            Air Force v. Washington State

December 28  12:00 PM  Tangerine Bowl         Notre Dame v. Iowa State

December 30  12:30 PM  Heart of Dallas Bowl   Western Kentucky v. Western Michigan
              4:00 PM  Music City Bowl        Louisville v. Mississippi State
              4:00 PM  San Francisco Bowl     Illinois v. California

December 31  12:00 PM  Queen City Bowl        Kentucky v. Virginia Tech
              2:00 PM  Sun Bowl               Florida State v. Arizona State
              3:45 PM  Liberty Bowl           Navy v. Kansas State
              4:30 PM  Arizona Bowl           Georgia State v. Wyoming
              7:30 PM  Alamo Bowl             Utah v. Texas

January 1     1:00 PM  Hall of Fame Bowl      Auburn v. Minnesota
              1:00 PM  Citrus Bowl            Alabama v. Michigan

January 2     3:00 PM  Birmingham Bowl        Boston College v. Cincinnati
              7:00 PM  Gator Bowl             Indiana v. Tennessee

January 3     3:30 PM  Humanitarian Bowl      Nevada v. Ohio

January 4    11:30 AM  Armed Forces Bowl      Tulane v. Southern Miss

January 6     7:30 PM  Mobile Alabama Bowl    UL-Lafayette v. Miami
   2. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 08, 2019 at 06:30 PM (#5906867)
Goofy schedule this year.

- Championship games were at the latest date possible, leaving much less pre-Christmas real estate, so games start on Friday rather than Saturday, and the first Saturday includes a sixth game.

- The Orange Bowl is in prime time when it's not a semifinal, so it doesn't fit with the semifinals or on January 1, and the Cotton was slotted as the semifinal undercard, so only two of the New Year's Six are on January 1, with only four games total.

- The date for the championship was set when the semis were slated for December 31, and the move to the preceding Saturday creates a 16-day gap. This, combined with the condensed early schedule, results in a return to the trickle of stray low-level games over the first week of January.
   3. Padraic Posted: December 08, 2019 at 07:41 PM (#5906874)
Only four New Year's Day games is ridiculous.
   4. Walt Davis Posted: December 08, 2019 at 08:06 PM (#5906881)
Man, I don't know how you guys keep up with it all. Then I don't know why you guys keep up with it all

The Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Do I want to know how the Military Bowl differs from the Armed Forces Bowl? Would I be correct that the Sunshine Classic is rarely a classic? Is there really not enough money for a Sydney Bowl?
   5. Brian White Posted: December 08, 2019 at 09:29 PM (#5906918)
Man, I don't know how you guys keep up with it all. Then I don't know why you guys keep up with it all

The Heart of Dallas Bowl?

Do I want to know how the Military Bowl differs from the Armed Forces Bowl? Would I be correct that the Sunshine Classic is rarely a classic? Is there really not enough money for a Sydney Bowl?

People have been whining about ‘too many bowl games’ for like 100 years now
   6. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: December 08, 2019 at 10:26 PM (#5906930)
I love more bowl games because I love more football.

Four games on NYD is ridiculous. I thought they were trying to recapture that day, not give it up.
   7. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 08, 2019 at 10:29 PM (#5906932)
There were 'too many' when there was 17, or what Brian said. I watch hundred+ hours of college football every year, but don't think I've committed myself to watching more than a few outside of NYD/bcs/CFP level games. The buzz of college football for me will always be the regular season. Even these CCGs are meh w rare exception. Doesn't bother me that there are 39 bowl games.
   8. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 08, 2019 at 10:31 PM (#5906933)
They have ceded NYD and that's a shame. The Rose Bowl is to blame, unless you permanently make the Rose a semifinal, or permit semis on alt days.
   9. Howie Menckel Posted: December 08, 2019 at 10:40 PM (#5906936)
I appreciate the need for abbreviated names above for formatting purposes - but some of these bowl names are fantastic. ALL of these are real; some of the ones above appear to be listing previous, less preposterous names:

Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl
Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl
Walk On's Independence Bowl
Military Bowl Presented By Northrup Grumman
Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
Cheez-It Bowl
Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl
Redbox Bowl
Tony The Tiger Sun Bowl

there are many more howlers here
   10. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: December 08, 2019 at 11:43 PM (#5906951)
Cheez-It Bowl

Next year I want the Cheez-it the Cops Bowl. Sponsored by the FOP.
   11. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: December 09, 2019 at 12:09 AM (#5906953)
Will Mike Norvell coach Memphis in the Cotton?
   12. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 09, 2019 at 04:06 AM (#5906960)
I appreciate the need for abbreviated names above for formatting purposes

That's not the purpose. If sponsors want their ever-changing corporatized names to appear in the Bowl Spectacular, they can cut me a check. Otherwise, the names stay the same for continuity purposes, as struggling to recall exactly which game "Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl" or "Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl" refers to is absurd. Those that have never been named for anything but some sponsor or other get historic monikers of my choosing.

Would I be correct that the Sunshine Classic is rarely a classic?

Expounding on the point above: The Sunshine Classic has never actually been a thing. It was the working title of the Blockbuster-CarQuest-MicronPC-Champs Sports-Russell Athletic-Camping World Bowl, which briefly took on the Tangerine Bowl title (the former name of what is now the Citrus Bowl) when it moved from Miami to Orlando. When a third game with ties to some auto parts company's charitable arm came to the same stadium, it needed an official Bowl Spectacular name. I suppose I could've picked Grapefruit.

Do I want to know how the Military Bowl differs from the Armed Forces Bowl?

Different defense contractor sponsors it.

Is there really not enough money for a Sydney Bowl?

There was going to be a game in Melbourne before they put a three-year moratorium on new games because they were already scraping the bottom of the barrel and including 5-7 teams. Post-moratorium, that seems to have been scrapped in favor of Fenway Park and Myrtle Beach.
   13. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 09, 2019 at 04:09 AM (#5906961)
They have ceded NYD and that's a shame. The Rose Bowl is to blame, unless you permanently make the Rose a semifinal, or permit semis on alt days.

What's really to blame is the aversion to having the biggest games played concurrently, which started with the Bowl Alliance spreading the Orange, Sugar and Fiesta across three nights. You'd get some combination of the Hall of Fame, Citrus, Gator and Cotton before the Rose, but gone were the glorious days of setting up an old eight-inch black-and-white TV on the floor of the living room to watch Miami-Alabama at the same time as Notre Dame-Colorado.

When Fox started treating the Cotton as a de facto BCS game on its own night, the Heart of Dallas took its place and kept New Year's Day at six. With the advent of the playoff, that game got moved up and left five (with the exception of three years ago, when the Citrus was the lead-in for the semifinals on New Year's Eve). ESPN owns practically everything and doesn't allow any overlap between its properties outside the first Saturday and the early window New Year's Day, so the only other time games of any interest face competition is when CBS and FS1 air the Sun and Holiday.
   14. Starring RMc as Bradley Scotchman Posted: December 09, 2019 at 08:34 AM (#5906977)
January 1 1:00 PM Citrus Bowl Alabama v. Michigan

Well, now, I'm headed to the Orlando area for the holidays...and my brother just got us tickets to this game. Worship me, pigs! (Bonus: my SIL is from Alabama!)

People have been whining about ‘too many bowl games’ for like 100 years now

Interestingly, this year there was almost exactly the correct number of bowl games: there were 79 bowl-eligible teams (sorry, Toledo) and 39 games.
   15. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: December 09, 2019 at 10:04 AM (#5907007)
Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl

Per wiki:

Since 2017, the game has been sponsored by the New York-based beverage company Cheribundi and for sponsorship reasons was the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl that year
   16. Tom Nawrocki Posted: December 09, 2019 at 11:21 AM (#5907040)
I suppose I could've picked Grapefruit.

Please do. It's confusing to me to have a Citrus Bowl AND a Tangerine Bowl, when everybody knows they're the same thing. Alternatively, "Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl" is still out there.
   17. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 09, 2019 at 01:50 PM (#5907130)
Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl
Sponsored by the village of Elk Grove, IL, aka that big industrial park just past O'Hare. Because when you're in the Bahamas there's nothing you long for so much as late December in industrial exurban Chicago, preferably under the flight path of America's second-busiest airport.
   18. CFBF's Overflowing Pathos Posted: December 09, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5907132)
Since 2017, the game has been sponsored by the New York-based beverage company Cheribundi and for sponsorship reasons was the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl that year

This is so stupid it circles back around to genuine awesomeness.
   19. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: December 09, 2019 at 02:46 PM (#5907159)
These Pitt bowl games have been brutal ever since joining the ACC. Not that I have ever traveled for a bowl game, but this doesn't make it look enticing now that I theoretically could afford to do it.

2013 season: Detroit
2014 season: Fort Worth (okay)
2015 season: Annapolis
2016 season: New York City
2018 season: El Paso
2019 season: Detroit again

Maybe Florida or Arizona or California are unthinkable, but can we at least go back to playing in Birmingham every year with the occasional Charlotte?

Because when you're in the Bahamas there's nothing you long for so much as late December in industrial exurban Chicago, preferably under the flight path of America's second-busiest airport.

I guess they're advertising to people who run small companies and want to choose an industrial park. Makes more sense than advertising the San Diego County Credit Union.
   20. Howie Menckel Posted: December 09, 2019 at 04:03 PM (#5907218)
   21. Jeremy Renner App is Dead and I killed it Posted: December 09, 2019 at 04:13 PM (#5907228)
Other than penn state peeps anyone else outraged at WI getting the Rose Bowl?
   22. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 09, 2019 at 05:48 PM (#5907271)
Is there really room for outrage? Disagreement I suppose, but it is hardly egregious. I don't know this, but does the CFP select the representative, does the Rose? If they do, do they boil down to simply ranking in the final CFP committee poll? If so, that's the reason. Schedule wise, neither really took any real risks OOC, UW shut them all out, two humps, and one MAC division champion (CMU). PSU game vs Pitt was a real opponent I guess, Pitt's Narduzzi is a dunce, he makes turtlers look brave. Common opponent doesn't cry out too much to me. UW farted around with Purdue/PSU didn't. UW's second bite at the tOSU apple helped mitigate the first defeat, but in turn they routed the Gophers and Michigan, which PSU decidedly did not, losing to the former. Of course UW couldn't put away Illinois, and managed to give away the lead and lose in the end at Illinois (which is actually a bowl team). The UW/tOSU/PSU games were all kind of strange.

UW/tOSU was 0-0 for awhile, and then 10-7 tOSU early-mid third, then the sky fell and it finished 38-7. Then the BIG CCG, UW is up 21-7 at half and barely shows a pulse in the 2nd half. PSU looked lucky to be around at half vs tOSU, and then took advantage of 3 quick turnovers to pull it close.
   23. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 09, 2019 at 06:09 PM (#5907278)
Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl

If a team scores Zero, they get a bonus from the sponsor.
   24. Pirate Joe Posted: December 09, 2019 at 09:43 PM (#5907325)
Maybe Florida or Arizona or California are unthinkable, but can we at least go back to playing in Birmingham every year with the occasional Charlotte?

Charlotte is going to be almost impossible, because that game will always prefer whichever of the Carolina teams it can get instead. And probably Virginia Tech as well.

25. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: December 10, 2019 at 12:08 AM (#5907347)
Other than penn state peeps anyone else outraged at WI getting the Rose Bowl?

penn state struggled to beat rutgers two weeks ago, yet still got into a BCS game. there's no room for outrage there.

personally, i'd say baylor's placement is the most clearly indefensible one.

i'd have rather seen some of these matchups:
1: georgia v. utah :: utah had a better season than baylor, so i'd have given them the BCS slot.
2: auburn v. michigan :: battle of the underachieving little brothers
3: alabama v. baylor :: one school's worst season in a decade v. the other school's best season (without half-a-dozen known rapists).
4: texas v. iowa :: noone's watching this.
5: notre dame v. minnesota :: hahahahah
6: navy v. virginia :: keep uva out of the BCS.
7: pitt v. smu :: styles make fights
8: app state v. michigan state :: hahahahahahaha
   26. Gary Truth Serum Posted: December 10, 2019 at 12:21 PM (#5907443)
i'd say baylor's placement is the most clearly indefensible one.

I'd say that Baylor's final ranking of #7 was too high, but the Big 12 was contractually locked into the Sugar Bowl so Baylor had to go there. The ranking didn't matter.
   27. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 14, 2019 at 03:15 PM (#5908723)
Expecting order to be restored today.
   28. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 14, 2019 at 04:35 PM (#5908733)
Navy busts out the Philly Special from the one with 13 seconds left in the half and no timeouts to take a 14-7 lead. First Navy pass of the half, as all the previous pass calls had resulted in Perry scrambles.
   29. Brian White Posted: December 14, 2019 at 06:04 PM (#5908740)
Navy passing stats on the day: 1/1, 1 yard, 1 TD.

It's just so beautiful.
   30. Howie Menckel Posted: December 14, 2019 at 09:25 PM (#5908754)
QB's 304 yards rushing was good, too.

"Most Yards Rushing in the History of Army-Navy Football Games" is pretty sweet.
   31. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 02:03 PM (#5910190)
Not thrilled with the Bahamas Bowl's place in the calendar. It's supposed to be the always-crazy game I can look forward to when all hope is lost after a week of garbage games.
   32. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 02:09 PM (#5910191)
ESPN is screwing up the superimposed lines; the players are disappearing beneath them. This is going to drive me nuts if it lasts.
   33. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 04:09 PM (#5910201)
Just setting up the frantic rally, right? Right?
   34. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 04:20 PM (#5910203)
Welcome to the Bahamas Bowl, Charlotte 49ers.
   35. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 04:33 PM (#5910205)
Trying to make this a competitive game by hook or by crook, as Charlotte's awarded a first down after gaining seven yards on 3rd-and-8.
   36. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 04:47 PM (#5910209)
If you're playing man and consequently have no eyes in the backfield on the obvious 3rd-and-17 draw play, you don't deserve to get the ball back.
   37. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 07:46 PM (#5910222)
56 more minutes just like the first four, please.
   38. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 07:59 PM (#5910223)
I didn't like when they'd run crawls during every game with Todd McShay's draft grades, but the video clips of him talking up an interception-prone quarterback's passion for the game as the play on the field is relegated to a box off to the side are a welcome innovation.
   39. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 08:37 PM (#5910230)
Never like to see 4th-and-1 cowardice rewarded by a muffed punt.
   40. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 10:52 PM (#5910240)
Kent State should go for this. First down ends the game, and teams trailing by three late like to settle for field goals, while trailing by six would force them to play for the win.
   41. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2019 at 10:54 PM (#5910241)
Took until after Kent State scored for that to go through.
   42. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 21, 2019 at 03:33 PM (#5910322)
I was hoping the New Mexico Bowl would be a Copper Bowl-like spectacle of bad offense, and instead San Diego State's scoring is making it a snore.

And then just as Central Michigan gives a nod toward making a game of it before the half, interception in the end zone.

At least Liberty-Georgia Southern is picking up after a brutal start.
   43. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 21, 2019 at 06:20 PM (#5910347)
Liberty tries to run out the final six seconds by throwing a fourth-down bomb. The ball lands with a second left, which should've left Georgia Southern a chance at a Hail Mary trailing 23-16, except the officials care about this game as much as I do and just shrug.
   44. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 21, 2019 at 09:51 PM (#5910368)
Washington dominating is just aggravating. Bounced between this and just-dumb-enough-to-lose all year.
   45. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: December 22, 2019 at 08:47 AM (#5910398)
I know a lot of people make fun of it but I love early bowl season. Nothing says Christmastime, the beginning of the semester break,and kicking up my heels with a holiday cocktail like turning on ESPN and seeing a crappy, third tier bowl game with 1500 people in the stands. Ball State vs. Tulane in a baseball stadium? Booyah. Let's order some wings!
   46. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 22, 2019 at 08:59 AM (#5910400)
I totally get this. The crappy bowl season peaks with the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Eve. Two mediocre teams in that bleak concrete and turf stadium, no one in the stands, usually a lot of points scored, fake cheery announcers and a lot of random shots of people surfing or walking on the beach -- it's the best way to kill a few hours and spend some mindless quality time with those relatives that you only pretend to get along with.
   47. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 02:39 PM (#5910667)
This is only a game if UCF doesn't show up.
   48. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 02:49 PM (#5910672)
Marshall turning the ball over on its first two possessions is not helping.
   49. Howie Menckel Posted: December 23, 2019 at 02:49 PM (#5910673)
Marshall surrenders a Pick-6 and a fumble in the first 75 seconds. I think they had 2 plays that weren't turnovers.
   50. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5910675)
Oh, brother.

Marshall throws a lateral that's batted down, then picked up and returned for a touchdown. 21-0 after eight minutes.
   51. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 03:30 PM (#5910683)
And now Marshall fumbles inside UCF's 10.
   52. Howie Menckel Posted: December 23, 2019 at 03:42 PM (#5910688)
Marshall winning the all-important yardage battle, though Debbie Downers will focus on that 21-0 deficit
:)
   53. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 03:49 PM (#5910692)
UCF has a touchdown run called back on a hold, and on the next play, Mack -- in for Gabriel for no good reason -- throws a pick-six to give Marshall a glimmer of hope.
   54. Howie Menckel Posted: December 23, 2019 at 04:11 PM (#5910695)
only way that game becomes watchable is if the rain picks up and we have a mud bowl.

these teams look like two frogs flopping around in a barrel

#unwatchable
   55. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 04:59 PM (#5910703)
With UCF facing 4th-and-7 from the 35, Marshall rushes SEVEN, leaving no one to cover Otis Anderson out of the backfield, so he just takes a little swing pass the distance.

And I write "game over" in the notebook I'd had out since before the game started.
   56. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 05:19 PM (#5910707)
I could've gone for a little BYU-Memphis action there.
   57. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 05:27 PM (#5910708)
Fireworks out the ass in the third quarter.
   58. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 23, 2019 at 06:07 PM (#5910723)
Absolutely ridiculous that they'd cut away from a game with nine minutes left. Put the beginning of your 135-minute pregame show on ESPN2!
   59. Howie Menckel Posted: December 23, 2019 at 06:34 PM (#5910728)
Marshall trails UCF, 48-25, in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl with 9 minutes left. 4th and 8 with about 25 yards to end zone.

garbage time? well, ESPN play-by-play guy says, "Many people still watching this one with a vested interest."

2019 is a brave new world, people - and the audience giving 17.5 points or so with UCF have been welcomed into the tent and offered cold beverages and a snack tray.

and that was your final, btw
   60. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 24, 2019 at 08:07 PM (#5910893)
I've listened to Bing and the Andrews Sisters and am now ready.
   61. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 24, 2019 at 08:47 PM (#5910895)
I didn't like when they'd run crawls during every game with Todd McShay's draft grades, but the video clips of him talking up an interception-prone quarterback's passion for the game as the play on the field is relegated to a box off to the side are a welcome innovation.

Quint Kessenich blurting "Projected third-round draft pick" from his place on the sideline falls somewhere on this spectrum.
   62. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 24, 2019 at 09:23 PM (#5910897)
I'd like a coherent explanation for how yanking the ball out of the quarterback's hands goes in the books as just a sack.
   63. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 24, 2019 at 10:54 PM (#5910899)
The Worldwide Leader in Bad Coverage doesn't have a camera on the goal line, screwing BYU out of what was obviously a touchdown.
   64. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 04:02 PM (#5911085)
And finally we reach the bad-games-where-at-least-I-consistently-have-a-rooting-interest period.
   65. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 26, 2019 at 05:28 PM (#5911098)
Both totals this evening are at 50. Canes doing their part for those on the under.
   66. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 05:57 PM (#5911102)
Best part of this game has been Trevor Matich disagreeing with the studio host's assessment during halftime that the game hadn't been offensively compelling -- because there was impending disaster for one or both offenses just over the horizon, and there was excitement in seeing it unfold.
   67. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 06:24 PM (#5911106)
15 punts midway through the third quarter. I desperately wish this were a beautiful mess like the Copper Bowl.
   68. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 06:44 PM (#5911111)
Okay, now things are starting to get weird. Including what I think was a forward lateral on the return.

And my eagle eye is vindicated by replay.
   69. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 07:29 PM (#5911123)
"Thanks to J'Mar Smith for sliding inside the Miami 10 after picking up the game-clinching first down inside of two minutes instead of scoring and extending my misery," I began to type, only to have him score on the next play instead of kneeling twice to end the game.
   70. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 08:40 PM (#5911135)
When you have a chance to let a guy who makes two-thirds of his attempts kick from 49 yards, you can't pass that up.
   71. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 09:06 PM (#5911140)
ESPN's ticker keeps showing this ridiculous note for Oklahoma-LSU: "Last two Heisman QBs (Mayfield, Murray) lost in semifinals"

Another way of putting it would have been "Oklahoma lost to SEC champion in last two semifinals"
   72. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 09:12 PM (#5911141)
Maurice Ffrench with a 96-yard catch to finally get the ACC in the end zone.
   73. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 09:21 PM (#5911143)
And it's suddenly a shootout, as EMU answers with a 50-yard touchdown pass off a deflection, and Pitt promptly drives 75 yards to make it 17-17.
   74. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 26, 2019 at 10:13 PM (#5911147)
The EMU coaching staff is standing by ready to rotate your tires and change your oil.
   75. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 11:37 PM (#5911156)
This might be the best game of bowl season so far.
   76. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2019 at 11:46 PM (#5911157)
Always ideal when your quarterback gets tossed for throwing two slaps when you're trailing by four with 10 seconds left.
   77. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 12:10 AM (#5911161)
first bowl game I actually sat down and watched (while talking and drinking/etc.) It was pretty good. Ref was pretty strong, between the unsportsmanlike where he had to call out seven different jersey numbers, only messing one of them and then that faux second punch where the side judge took a dive.
   78. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 12:30 PM (#5911200)
I kinda can't wait for 2020 North Carolina.
   79. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 27, 2019 at 01:38 PM (#5911211)
UNC's easily the best mediocre team in the country. They had a shot at winning late in the 4th quarter in every one of their six losses, and their worst defeats were both by 7 points (one in OT, the other a game in which they didn't score after a 4th quarter first down on the opponent's 12). With a bit more experience and closing ability (and maybe a better 2 point conversion try), they could easily be something like 9-3. That's an ACC 9-3, but still, they were real close to being a solid football team.
   80. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: December 27, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5911213)
That's brutal for Temple -- at the end of the half a blocked UNC FG was returned for a touchdown, only a Temple rusher was offside. So rather than going to the locker room at 17-13, they're down 20-6.
   81. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 01:45 PM (#5911215)
And the hell of it is he had no impact on the play. Jumped in the neutral zone, then jumped back and was a non-factor in the block.
   82. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 02:13 PM (#5911222)
North Carolina with a 10-play touchdown drive to open the second half, and just like that we no longer have a game.
   83. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 02:18 PM (#5911223)
Followed immediately by a pick-six, and now it's *really* over.
   84. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 02:34 PM (#5911227)
UNC cashes in a short field with a Philly Special. 41-6.

Credit to Temple for not punting on 4th-and-1, at least.
   85. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 03:29 PM (#5911245)
Football fields shoehorned into ballparks just look shitty.
   86. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 06:42 PM (#5911290)
Sparty's had three chances to make this a two-score game -- interception, fumble, missed chip shot.
   87. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 07:54 PM (#5911292)
Those two teams played pretty hard throughout.

Now we can watch Canada's greatest running back.
   88. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 08:06 PM (#5911295)
Totally weird that they're giving the Barry Sanders total as 2850, when we all know that's not right.
   89. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 08:19 PM (#5911298)
Well, 2628 in 11 games and 2850 if you add bowl game which didn't, 'count' based on how they counted stats in 1988. Never mind, teams play 12 regular season games today.
   90. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 27, 2019 at 08:21 PM (#5911299)
Iowa making evident its essential Iowaness with a time-consuming drive, but giving a nod to the Holiday Bowl excitement of yore by scoring on a 23-yard reverse.
   91. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM (#5911314)
USC tries a fg down 18 w 5 min left?
   92. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:34 AM (#5911315)
Story of the Copper Bowl: Wazzu turns the ball over on downs twice inside the five, then can't stop Air Force on a fourth down inside the five.
   93. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:51 AM (#5911317)
Air Force 20 play 98 yard 12+ drive which straddled 1st/2nd quarter was the pacesetter. Such a beautiful thing to watch these days, and I love the Pirate.
   94. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM (#5911385)
No reason for the Cotton Bowl to be played today. If there needed to be games played concurrently before the Peach and Fiesta, surely something from the third tier could've paired with the Tangerine.

It's confusing to me to have a Citrus Bowl AND a Tangerine Bowl, when everybody knows they're the same thing.

That one's set in stone because when the game moved from Miami to Orlando, it took that name for years before reverting to sponsor-only. And contrary to the crack about Grapefruit, I don't actually make up names out of whole cloth, which is why I had to reach for the execrable "Sunshine Classic" when Orlando added a third game.
   95. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 12:26 PM (#5911388)
Cyclones fixing to give this one away before it starts.
   96. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 12:54 PM (#5911394)
Memphis looking strong, and things would be even better if it hadn't been dropping balls, including a pick-six, left and right.
   97. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:19 PM (#5911397)
Yeah, returning a kick from eight yards deep ain't the play.
   98. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:27 PM (#5911398)
Cotton went to hell in a hurry.
   99. never forget: the pee tape is 57i66135 Posted: December 28, 2019 at 01:32 PM (#5911400)
Cotton went to hell in a hurry.

memphis is soooo lucky that penn state's DBs are slow and small.
   100. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2019 at 02:01 PM (#5911407)
Down 20-6, feel free to grow a pair and go for 4th-and-1.
Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Mike Emeigh
for his generous support.