Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 20, 2020

OT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2020 - January 2021)

December 30   8:00 PM  Cotton Bowl            Oklahoma v. Florida

January 1    12:00 PM  Peach Bowl             Cincinnati v. Georgia
              4:00 PM  Yellow Rose Bowl       Notre Dame v. Alabama
              8:00 PM  Sugar Bowl             Ohio State v. Clemson

January 2     4:00 PM  Fiesta Bowl            Oregon v. Iowa State
              8:00 PM  Orange Bowl            Texas A&M v. North Carolina

January 11    8:00 PM  Championship Game      Yellow Rose winner v. Sugar winner
Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2020 at 06:13 PM | 132 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 
   1. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2020 at 06:14 PM (#5995257)
December 21   2:30 PM  Myrtle Beach Bowl      Appalachian State v. North Texas

December 22   3:30 PM  Humanitarian Bowl      Tulane v. Nevada
              7:00 PM  Boca Raton Bowl        Central Florida v. BYU

December 23   3:00 PM  New Orleans Bowl       Louisiana Tech v. Georgia Southern
              7:00 PM  Montgomery Bowl        Memphis v. Florida Atlantic

December 24   3:30 PM  New Mexico Bowl        Hawaii v. Houston

December 25   2:30 PM  Camellia Bowl          Marshall v. Buffalo

December 26  12:00 PM  St. Petersburg Bowl    South Carolina v. UAB
             12:00 PM  Sunshine Classic       Liberty v. Coastal Carolina
              3:30 PM  Mobile Alabama Bowl    Western Kentucky v. Georgia State
              3:30 PM  Heart of Dallas Bowl   UL-Lafayette v. UT-San Antonio

December 29   5:30 PM  Tangerine Bowl         Oklahoma State v. Miami (FL)
              9:00 PM  Alamo Bowl             Texas v. Colorado

December 30  12:00 PM  Queen City Bowl        Wake Forest v. Wisconsin
              4:00 PM  Music City Bowl        Iowa v. Missouri

December 31  12:00 PM  Armed Forces Bowl      Tulsa v. Mississippi State
              2:00 PM  Arizona Bowl           Ball State v. San Jose State
              4:00 PM  Liberty Bowl           West Virginia v. Tennessee
              8:00 PM  Texas Bowl             Arkansas v. TCU

January 1     1:00 PM  Citrus Bowl            Auburn v. Northwestern

January 2    12:00 PM  Gator Bowl             NC State v. Kentucky
             12:30 PM  Hall of Fame Bowl      Mississippi v. Indiana
   2. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: December 20, 2020 at 06:37 PM (#5995261)
From the previous thread, responding to a Lance reply to my earlier query --

On top of that, a bunch of teams have opted not to play bowls this year, so the Independence, Copper, Military and Birmingham have been canceled over the course of the afternoon due to lack of available participants.

Geez. I'd think they were better venues than the 2 down the street from me -- the Montgomery (purely a creation of ESPN because of a previous cancellation) & Camellia. OK, the Independence is probably a push, or maybe I'm biased because of a longstanding strong dislike of Shreveport, the nearest thing to a city in the region where I grew up.

3. Howie Menckel Posted: December 20, 2020 at 07:08 PM (#5995264)
Pat Forde
@ByPatForde
A 9-2 Army team that won the commander-in-chief trophy by beating both Navy and Air Force gets no bowl bid. There are reasons, but no justifications. What a travesty.
6:05 PM · Dec 20, 2020·

Pat Forde
@ByPatForde
·

Seriously: the 9-2 United States Military Academy is not going to a bowl, while 3-7 Mississippi State is going to the — wait for it — Armed Forces Bowl.

(Twitter already is all-in on noting that it is common practice among first-class passengers on airplanes to switch seats with a member of the military who has a coach ticket, as a sign of respect - so....)
   4. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: December 20, 2020 at 07:09 PM (#5995265)
The eminently forgettable Tropical Smoothie Cafe™ Frisco Bowl scheduled for last night between SMU and UT-San Antonio was also cancelled over COVID issues with SMU. No worries though. Undaunted by COVID, Frisco swiped the New Mexico Bowl to come to Texas, where we don't care about any librul pandemic, to play their game here. (Cue those "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" jokes.)
   5. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2020 at 07:36 PM (#5995269)
Army was left in the cold because it had committed to the Independence, which has a Pac-12 tie-in, and basically that entire conference blew off bowl season. It looks ridiculous with South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi State taking spots while a collective 11-29.
   6. Brian White Posted: December 20, 2020 at 07:50 PM (#5995271)
From the previous thread:
And the love affair with an Iowa State team that got handled by UL-Lafayette continues. At least the trash is quarantined in the Fiesta Bowl with Oregon.

Iowa State is 8-3. Coastal Carolina is 11-0. They have one common opponent in ULL. ULL waltzed into Ames and absolutely manhandled Iowa State, while ULL lost at home to Coastal Carolina to give ULL their only loss of the year.

Iowa State is ranked above Coastal Carolina.

The committee's rankings are stupid and should be ignored.
   7. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 21, 2020 at 07:51 PM (#5995421)
If Army doesn't get to fill this Liberty Bowl slot...
   8. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 21, 2020 at 11:11 PM (#5995438)
Iowa may be bailing out too.
   9. Snowboy Posted: December 22, 2020 at 04:19 AM (#5995449)
Hey guys, I asked this OT q in a previous thread. Sorry if it was answered and I didn't see it.

I was watching an OK ST. game this year, and almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the end zone banner "National Champions 1945"
Wasn't that the year Army went undefeated, a team with both Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis in the backfield, a team often considered the best ever?

Army was voted #1 at season end in the AP poll, which was generally accepted as who was Nat'l Champ.
Oklahoma A&M (as they were known then) also had an undefeated season, and were voted #5, behind Army, Alabama, and Indiana, who also all went undefeated, and behind Navy who lost once {presumably to Army, though I'm not stopping to look it up, I want to stay on point with my question.}

I've googled enough to learn that this revised title came from some coaches poll or committee in 2016.
Here's my question: BUT WHY?

I can see Army didn't play a bowl game, maybe that's a -1?
But only 4 of the top 10 in the final AP poll that year played in a major bowl.
And Army has never played in a lot of Bowls? The Bowl system has historically been very linked to agreements between conferences, and Army football has been an "independent" for, like, 90% of its life, so it was never going to be invited.

Maybe it's a southern thing? Because I get it, football in the South is a religion, as much as hockey is in Canada. But undefeated Alabama went out to California and whupped USC in the Rose Bowl (in the physical arena actually also called the Rose Bowl) while OK A&M whupped St. Mary's (of California) in the Sugar Bowl. If Alabama finished #2 under the eyes of those watching/reading that year, and OK A&M was voted #5...well, I think you see where I'm going, it can't be a "We the South" angle. (Unless it's to give OK ST something, when Alabama already has won so much?) {Dunno, now I'm just talking myself into stuff.}

Was it something to do with the composition of the review? Was there a Frankie Frisch or a Tony LaRussa on the committee?

Sorry to throw a history discussion into this OT Hot Topic. But it's been bugging me, and I'd like an answer. I'll take a "back of the napkin" short, or a link to an article/blog. And it seems a little relevant, given the comments above that Army deserves a Bowl nomination this year.

(FYI I'm not anti-Cowboy. Once upon a time I helped a kid with his SATs who went there, who played baseball with Jeromy Burnitz, was recruited by Matt Holliday's father, and they made the college world series. I closely followed them then. I'm not against the school or their programs, I'm just trying to understand what happened five years ago that has caused us to change our understanding of 1945? Thanks.)
   10. Howie Menckel Posted: December 22, 2020 at 10:38 AM (#5995491)
The Oklahoman weighs in

[the short answer is, 'because they asked for it']

"The American Football Coaches Association [in 2016] announced a program by which it would honor with a retroactive national title deserving teams that played before 1950, when the coaches instituted the UPI poll and began handing out national titles.

"The AFCA did not convene a panel of historians to go season-by-season and award a national championship.

"It invited schools to nominate teams they felt were deserving. Then a committee would vote yea or nay on said team.

"The problems with such a process are many. Starting with this – the AFCA acknowledged it could hand out multiple awards for the same season. In other words, if Army wanted to submit its 1945 team consideration, the AFCA could – and would, unless it wanted to proclaim its insanity – give the Cadets a 1945 trophy, too.

"The AFCA’s Vince Thompson told me Wednesday that no other school, in the year since the AFCA made the project available, has submitted a team for consideration.

Not Oklahoma, which had a powerhouse 11-0 team in 1949 but finished No. 2 behind Notre Dame.

Not Notre Dame, which went 9-0 in 1948 but finished No. 2 behind Michigan.

Not Michigan, which went 9-0 in 1947 but finished No. 2 behind Notre Dame.

Not Army, which went 9-0-1 in 1946, tying Notre Dame, but finished No. 2 behind Notre Dame.... [yada yada yada]"
   11. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 03:50 PM (#5995566)
I legitimately hate this blue field.
   12. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 05:12 PM (#5995586)
I will never cease to be baffled by teams punting from their opponents' territory with time for two plays left in the half. In this case, Nevada needed six yards for a first down, which then puts it in position to kick a half-ending field goal. The likely downside is Tulane throwing a Hail Mary from, at best, midfield.
   13. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 06:55 PM (#5995596)
Harsin to Auburn.
   14. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 07:13 PM (#5995597)
BYU opens the game by going 87 yards in five plays. This game's fixing to go exactly as expected.

*rubs hands together with glee*
   15. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 07:15 PM (#5995599)
Or not, as Gabriel throws a tip-drill pick on UCF's first play.

Overturned on review, but UCF goes three-and-out anyway.
   16. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 07:26 PM (#5995601)
And BYU only needs four plays to march 72 yards on its second possession, with a flea flicker off a reverse picking up the last 36.

If UCF's offense doesn't start holding up its end, it's gonna be a short night.
   17. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 07:52 PM (#5995607)
UCF with a drop of what would've been a 43-yard touchdown on its second possession leading to a punt, then the teams traded turnovers on downs before BYU went 76 yards in four plays to go up 21-0. 270-76 yardage advantage before the end of the first quarter.

I was expecting this to be the best game pre-Cotton Bowl. Gonna need you to come through for me, Liberty-Coastal Carolina.
   18. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 22, 2020 at 08:45 PM (#5995612)
When UCF scored and then promptly forced a 3rd-and-15, I thought it might be a game, but BYU picked it up with a swing pass, scored two plays later, forced a quick punt, then went 87 yards in the blink of an eye to go up 35-7. And then UCF waved the white flag by kicking a field goal with 24 seconds left in the half.
   19. Snowboy Posted: December 23, 2020 at 02:36 AM (#5995643)
Thanks Howie.

I had read that article in my googling, and it only confused me more, raised more questions:
- why was the c'tee formed in the first place? Yes, to examine titles given before UPI coaches poll started in 1950, but if during one year of service it only got one submission, isn't it possible that the ACFA misread the groundswell of support for opening this pandora's box? From the results (and the process) it appears the original mission was about as well conceived as a bunch of guys sitting around a table shouting "harumph" "harumph"
- did/should the c'tee ever consider just disbanding itself, or declining to submit a report due to lack of responses to the project? Or did/should the ACFA have accepted the report and immediately burned it after reading, and never released a statement about it?
- did/should the c'tee consider the possibility that submission of "Oklahoma A&M Aggies - 1945" was done as comedy?
"The problems with such a process are many. Starting with this – the AFCA acknowledged it could hand out multiple awards for the same season. In other words, if Army wanted to submit its 1945 team consideration

The problem with this line from the article is that it contradicts an earlier line that was quoted, about the mission of the c'tee
it would honor with a retroactive national title deserving teams that played before 1950

Army didn't need to submit for a retroactive title for 1945. They were declared the champs in the poll that year.

Also, even if Army was somehow tipped by the c'tee that someone had submitted a nomination to challenge them for 1945, and that they thus also needed to submit a nomination for 1945, so that the c'tee could find in Army's favor, I'd imagine Army laughed in their faces. Not Jeff Monken, the current head coach since 2014, he probably wants to keep their banners on the wall. But I can imagine some higher-ups, with bars and stars on their shoulders, snorting "we won. We won everything, defeated everyone and everything that year. On the football field, and in the field of battle. We're not making a retroactive claim for what we won."

I can't figure out what the nominees/supporters of this motion at ACFA were thinking, or hoping for?
Were they hoping/expecting teams like UMichigan to come nominate the 9-0 1947 team, so that co-winners could be declared? Etc., etc, many examples.
But then NOBODY bit? That's some bad fishing.

Were they saying/enticing Southern/Grambling/Langston University should nominate themselves? They had some undefeated records.
And that never happened?

Again, I have nothing against the people of Oklahoma, or the people they bring in to play sports at universities for them. I just trying to learn how how they've been retroactively declared the best team in 1945 America.
   20. Snowboy Posted: December 23, 2020 at 02:53 AM (#5995644)
Back to your regularly scheduled programing...
That running back from UBuffalo looks pretty good
and I'm not just saying that to fill time
Sorry for the interruption.
   21. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 25, 2020 at 04:14 PM (#5995966)
The Aloha Bowl was always marked by a feeling of wistfulness as you watched on a 22-degree day. Having a game on Christmas in a place you have no desire to go feels unnatural.
   22. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 25, 2020 at 05:06 PM (#5995972)
"Who's gonna have the ball last?" doesn't apply in a game that's 10-10 in the fourth quarter.
   23. Snowboy Posted: December 25, 2020 at 06:54 PM (#5995985)
That was a dud of a game.
And Buffalo's Jaret Patterson, nation's leading rusher, didn't even dress because of injury. I was looking forward to watching him, vs Marshall's run defense. ESPN reported on Tuesday he was going to play.
Blech.
   24. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2020 at 11:09 PM (#5996088)
What a crazy turn.
   25. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 26, 2020 at 11:25 PM (#5996090)
And it ends in completely garbage fashion. Shame nobody choked on those swallowed whistles.
   26. Dr. Chaleeko Posted: December 27, 2020 at 01:49 PM (#5996131)
Don't give a rip about football, but as a kid of the 1980s, I had to mention my appreciation for the SI special-issue reference in the title of this thread. Nice callout.
   27. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 28, 2020 at 02:44 PM (#5996253)
Commiserations to the Florida Mafia as the ranks of "everything" in the Everything Works offense take a pass on the Cotton Bowl.
   28. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: December 28, 2020 at 08:11 PM (#5996298)
And the line has moved accordingly. My book has swung from OU +4.5 to OU -2.5 in a week.
   29. Brian White Posted: December 28, 2020 at 10:31 PM (#5996315)
So the only people Kyle Trask will have around to receive the ball are the running backs?

Time to break out this part of the playbook.
   30. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: December 29, 2020 at 04:27 PM (#5996450)
Aaaand the 12/31 Texas Bowl is cancelled because of COVID at TCU. Fans of Arkansas (3-7) truly wanted that game played, for some reason ... possibly for the sheer novelty of an out-of-conference contest.
   31. Brian C Posted: December 29, 2020 at 05:02 PM (#5996457)
The good news is that the Gators had 13 guys catch more than 5 passes this year, and realistically they'll still probably have as good of a receiving corps as they had through most of the Muschamp/McElwain years only with a vastly better QB.

But yeah, it'll be rough. I wonder how much longer "bowl season" can survive when so many players take a pass on playing in them. I don't feel like this used to be a thing but the last few years, it seems like it's happened a lot. Can't be good for the sport but it's not like you can make guys play.
   32. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2020 at 09:06 PM (#5996505)
Miami getting the ball back down 37-34 with 3:20 left after rallying from 21-0 down, mostly without D'Eriq King who blew out a knee making a cut just before the field goal that made it 21-10.
   33. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2020 at 09:11 PM (#5996507)
Hurricanes turn the ball over on downs after a stone drop of a deep ball that would've put them inside the five.
   34. bunyon Posted: December 29, 2020 at 09:33 PM (#5996510)
Big 12 defense. It's why Florida should be fine.
   35. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2020 at 09:41 PM (#5996512)
By the way, this Tangerine Bowl was about the best demonstration ever of the need for official Bowl Spectacular names. It's hard enough for casuals to remember what game the Blockbuster-CarQuest-MicronPC-Champs Sports-Russell Athletic-Camping World Bowl actually is, but taking on the identical corporate name previously held by a different game adds a new layer.

I get that everyone likes free money, but do you need to whore out completely and give up your game's unique identifier for the extra bit they'll give you for becoming the "Insight.com Bowl" instead of the "Insight.com Copper Bowl"? Because that's what eventually leads to your latest corporate sponsor taking its powdery orange dollars and name to a different bowl, leaving the general populace wondering what happened to the game played in the airplane hangar in Phoenix.
   36. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 29, 2020 at 11:31 PM (#5996531)
Herbstreit caught the Chicom plague, so we're going to get treated to him calling the Sugar Bowl from home on a delay. Because heaven forbid some other color guy call the game from a proper position in the booth.
   37. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:15 PM (#5996773)
Not a great opening drive from Donovan Stiner.
   38. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:18 PM (#5996778)
Not a great opening drive from Donovan Stiner.

Yeah I was just coming here to say that Stiner got clowned on at least 3 plays on that drive. On the first play, he gave the receiver a gigantic cushion and still somehow let the receiver run right by him.

And now the pick-6. Gonna be a long night, I fear. What can you do.
   39. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:23 PM (#5996779)
Showing video of a guy "sanitizing the field" is almost more than I can take. If ever there could be a perfect symbol of our complete inability to handle the pandemic, that's it.
   40. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:26 PM (#5996781)
Welp.
   41. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:29 PM (#5996783)
The first INT was just terrible by Trask in every way, but the second one is a bit fluky. Not a great throw, obviously, but not so bad that it usually would result in an INT. Should have made the catch even though it was a tough one.

One gets the feeling that the Gators defense needs to recover here very quickly for Grantham to save his job, if it's not already too late.
   42. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:34 PM (#5996785)
The second one was a pretty bad throw - I don't think that ball was really catchable, even though the receiver was open.

Bad decision from Shorter to even run that out. But hey, on the plus side, here's Emory.
   43. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:37 PM (#5996787)
While they're talking about opt-outs - how good of an idea are these? Pitts is one thing, he'll be a high pick as long as he manages to put one foot in front of the other while walking around between combine drills. But guys like Grimes and Toney sure seem like they could use another big game against quality competition on their resumes.
   44. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:39 PM (#5996789)
The second one was a pretty bad throw - I don't think that ball was really catchable, even though the receiver was open.

I dunno, it was plainly catchable, he got both hands on it and it popped almost straight up out of his hands with almost no momentum.

And now a third pick which was also brutal, so nevermind, f*ck giving him the benefit of the doubt tonight.
   45. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:40 PM (#5996790)
Oklahoma was definitely looking for that back shoulder throw. When you know it's coming, and defend it well, you can get interceptions like that.
   46. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:41 PM (#5996791)
Trask would have really helped his NFL Draft stock by opting out of this game.
   47. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:46 PM (#5996792)
I don't know what was going on with that route. Why not run that route to the corner of the endzone instead of the ####### goal line? Or maybe he meant to, but the throw was a wounded duck out of his hand. Just a terrible throw any way you cut it. He's gone all year long without doing this stuff - he'll try to force a throw into coverage at times, but gift-wrapping easy INTs like this is new.

Defense makes a play!
   48. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:49 PM (#5996793)
Zero of these last four play calls made any sense.
   49. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:50 PM (#5996794)
21 yard FG down by 17 after 2 QB runs from outside the 5 by Trask = losing on purpose
   50. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 08:58 PM (#5996797)
So we got a stop on third down, except there was a dumb penalty on the defense which gave them another shot, but we *still* got the stop? Didn't think the defense had it in them.
   51. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:02 PM (#5996798)
Defense has only given up 3 points on the last 3 possessions, they're honestly kinda holding up their end of the bargain.
   52. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:11 PM (#5996800)
Is Emory Jones vomiting on the field?

Well, whatever. It's actually a game now, wonder of wonders.
   53. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:13 PM (#5996802)
So the Gators have 1 long TD drive run by the backup QB, another FG they kicked from the 3, and an end-zone INT in 5 possessions. Clearly even with the opt-outs they have a plenty potent offense when Trask isn't delivering INTs like those gift balloons in The Hunger Games.
   54. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:15 PM (#5996803)
Is Emory Jones vomiting on the field?

You've seen Any Given Sunday, I assume? Star in the making.
   55. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:17 PM (#5996804)
I've never been so happy to see Trask take a sack.
   56. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:20 PM (#5996805)
Sure, the passing game is a train wreck. But an opportunistic defense and solid run game are keeping us in this thing. Like we all predicted.
   57. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:23 PM (#5996806)
OU can't hold a candle to Auburn in terms of the best-named players in college football - you're not going to beat a team with Tank Bigsby and Smoke Monday - but still, Charleston Rambo is a fantastic name.
   58. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:28 PM (#5996807)
Florida ran a delayed LB blitz on that play. Like, really, really, delayed. So late that it had no hope of ever getting there, and cleared out the center of the defense for the easy TD.

Looks like we're back to good old Grantham.

EDIT: Upon further review, the blitz came from the other side, not the side the play went to. Still came way too late.
   59. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:29 PM (#5996808)
Two things: 1) that was clearly a pick play, and 2) the Gator defender was already hopelessly beat on the coverage anyway.
   60. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:34 PM (#5996811)
OU didn't have a guy back to return that 58 yard field goal? Somewhere Gus Malzahn is shaking his head.
   61. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:39 PM (#5996813)
Florida has given up first downs on a draw play on 3rd and 11, and now on a play where there were twelve defenders on the field.

Let's give a round of applause to Todd Grantham!
   62. Howie Menckel Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:45 PM (#5996816)
after Florida unsurprisingly missed that 58-yard FG try while down 24-13 with about 4 minutes left in the half (and yes I know this is the best kicker in college FB), ESPN should have run one of those "probability" stats:

"Odds of Oklahoma scoring a TD as they run out the half: 101 percent"

it's 31-13 OK

OK 275 yards (147 pass, 128 rush)
FL 313 yards (217 pass,96 rush)

OK had the only punt of the half
   63. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 09:47 PM (#5996817)
Kinda felt like the Gators' chances slipped away after settling for a FG to make it 17-13 instead of being able to tie it up off the fumble. There's only so much a team can take before they start to deflate, and after fighting their way back into the game, it seems like that's all that was left.

I think a team can do a lot worse than Grantham for DC, and I know this defense is young, but damn they've been unorganized all year long. If the problem was all youth and inexperience, you'd think that things would be better now than they were at the start of the season, but it's hard to argue that there's been much progress.
   64. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 30, 2020 at 10:35 PM (#5996828)
"Players have been opting out of bowl games as a foreseeable result of 'These games over here are playoffs, and those games over there don't matter,' so we need to expand the playoff" is about what I'd expect from the idiots involved in college football.
   65. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 10:35 PM (#5996829)
Trask had an awful game, but the receivers aren't really covering themselves in glory. I know Justin Shorter is the most experienced guy out there, but still.
   66. Brian White Posted: December 30, 2020 at 10:41 PM (#5996832)
"Players have been opting out of bowl games as a foreseeable result of 'These games over here are playoffs, and those games over there don't matter,' so we need to expand the playoff" is about what I'd expect from the idiots involved in college football.

I dunno. Would this game have been more meaningful when played under the BCS, or back when we had #1 playing in the whatever bowl and #2 playing in some other bowl and we'd decide the national championship by voting?

Opting out has just been culturally accepted, partly as a fact of the players starting to realize the leverage they actually hold, and partly because people just see it as normal now. That's more the reason for the opt-outs.

All these long OU runs look just about the same, right down to Donovan Stiner having to drag them down from behind.
   67. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 11:13 PM (#5996836)
You know, it's a tough night for everyone and the circumstances are what they are, but I'm a little concerned that Jones has never looked anywhere near ready to take over as starter. Even as low a bar as Trask set tonight, Jones hasn't really been any better. And even over the rest of the season, Mullen has worked him in pretty often but has never seemed to have enough confidence in him to give him anything to actually do.
   68. Brian C Posted: December 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM (#5996837)
That said, as awful as Trask was, I feel bad for the guy. He could have opted out too, and instead had the worst game of his career, which he obviously doesn't deserve. He's been the best Gator QB in a long time and I wish him all the best. And in homage to all he's done, I swear I will remember other games and forget this one.
   69. Brian White Posted: December 31, 2020 at 01:16 AM (#5996849)
Things to remember about this year:

1) Thumping UGa and winning the SEC East
2) Putting up a serious fight against a great team in the SECCG

That's about it. Well, I guess the shoe-throwing loss was pretty hilarious. But I don't think a bowl game blowout is going to be a major part of my memory of this season.
   70. Brian C Posted: December 31, 2020 at 02:30 PM (#5996908)
Mullen’s comments in the wake of this game have fallen somewhere in the gap between “blowhard idiocy” and “genuinely insulting”, but the general theme seems to be that he wants everyone to know that he didn’t consider it a real game and getting demolished is no skin off his back. Which, even more than the opt-outs and COVID DQs, explains what we saw last night.

I said when Mullen was hired that he should be a clear step up but that I had doubts about his ability to build a truly elite program. Frankly I’ve seen nothing to change my mind. And last night’s postgame comments are pure amateur hour and, along with his “pack the Swamp” schtick from earlier in the season, a real black mark on the program. I feel like this dude really needs to pull it together.
   71. Mayor Blomberg Posted: December 31, 2020 at 04:31 PM (#5996922)
In minor conference idiocy, it would be wonderful if the blowhards at the AAC would shut the #### up after this bowl season, with 3-7 Bs State beating the conference's #2, and Everyone at UH shaddup after Holgorsen posts his second losing season. Khator, the president talked smack about coaches losing three games a year not being good enough, but apparently Holgorsen is Tilman Fertitta's good buddy on top of everything else.

Well, at least the AAC have managed to beat a team from the mighty C-USA.
   72. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 12:22 PM (#5996982)
Punting on 4th-and-inches is not the way.
   73. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 12:33 PM (#5996983)
w00t
   74. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 01:44 PM (#5996992)
Better passing half from Ridder than I thought he was capable of.
   75. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 02:11 PM (#5996996)
And then the bottled-up run game suddenly explodes.
   76. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 02:56 PM (#5997000)
Apart from the long run, Cincinnati's offense has shat the bed the entire second half, keeping this a game.
   77. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 03:03 PM (#5997001)
Desperately needed fake. That was available earlier the time the punter feinted about three times on the rugby kick before pulling the trigger.
   78. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 03:30 PM (#5997004)
Cincinnati needs to break out its biggest wrinkle here.
   79. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 03:37 PM (#5997005)
Ridder had a man wide open over the middle.
   80. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 04:31 PM (#5997011)
The first five minutes will not disabuse anyone of the notion that this is a mismatch.
   81. Brian White Posted: January 01, 2021 at 04:49 PM (#5997012)
What was Alabama favored by in this game again? Whatever it was, it was way way too low.
   82. bunyon Posted: January 01, 2021 at 04:55 PM (#5997013)
I’ve paid almost no attention to the season but didn’t notre dame get smoked a couple of weeks ago? Was there really no one better?
   83. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 05:04 PM (#5997015)
Line was -19.5 last I saw.
   84. Mayor Blomberg Posted: January 01, 2021 at 05:11 PM (#5997016)
The committee ranked TAMU fifth. They lost to Alabama 42-24 early in the season. #6 Oklahoma is a two-loss team. That said, I'd have gone with A&M because Clemson took ND to 2 OT in the first match up without its top player on either side of the ball.
   85. Brian White Posted: January 01, 2021 at 05:33 PM (#5997019)
ND's best win was at Clemson, which was a *great* win. Not representative of the quality of the two teams, but that's neither here nor there. TAMU's best win was at home against Florida, which, uh, isn't actually that great a win.

Notre Dame deserves to be in this game. They're also not built to compete with a team like Alabama.
   86. bunyon Posted: January 01, 2021 at 05:37 PM (#5997020)
Thanks.
   87. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 01, 2021 at 05:43 PM (#5997021)
Someone has to fill this #4 hole. A #1 beating a #4 like a drum isn't, to me, an argument for expanded playoffs.
   88. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 06:03 PM (#5997023)
Start of the second half seems like too obvious a time for the surprise onside kick. But I'd probably still do it.
   89. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 06:23 PM (#5997025)
That was a really, really, really dumb throw.
   90. Howie Menckel Posted: January 01, 2021 at 06:36 PM (#5997027)
I was seeing -20 just before game, but FanDuel posted Bama at -18.5 points.

#pounce
   91. Misirlou cut his hair and moved to Rome Posted: January 01, 2021 at 07:13 PM (#5997031)
Looks to be spot on.
   92. Howie Menckel Posted: January 01, 2021 at 07:44 PM (#5997032)
ah, the purity of amateur athletics at its finest.

ND trails 31-7 with under 4 minutes left and it's 4th and 8 at their own 45.

Coach Kelly waves the white flag and calls for a punt (it's COVID, you can hear it on the broadcast).

I kind of like that the coach doesn't know what the point spread is.

but somebody in the booth does, and they must have been screaming TIMEOUT TIMEOUT in his headset like a honey badger had just gotten into the booth or something.

after the timeout, Kelly now decides to go for it because - well, the high-rolling alums at least want you to kiss their ring and give the cover the old college try.

so they convert the first down, but things are winding down until - well, Coach Saban appeared to have some sort of angry seizure on the Bama sideline. (maybe HIS boosters called in?)

the 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Saban energizes the hapless Irish, and they score a TD with 56 seconds left that literally flips millions of legal and illegal dollars from one set of pockets to the other.

ND recovers the onside kick, and gets down to the 15-yard line with 7 seconds left and call a timeout because - hey, it's only a 3-score game and a lot can happen! or something.

final is 31-14, Irish cover all wagers.

alternative theory: broadcast had shown ND with an 0-6 record in its last 6 "big games" since 1998 - I believe it was playoff or bigtime New Year's Day games, with an average losing margin of 24 points.

this was going to be a losing margin of - hey, lookee there, 24 points!

so now it's 0-7, but the losing margin is a mere average of 23 points, so there's that.
   93. Brian C Posted: January 01, 2021 at 07:53 PM (#5997035)
ND's best win was at Clemson, which was a *great* win. Not representative of the quality of the two teams, but that's neither here nor there. TAMU's best win was at home against Florida, which, uh, isn't actually that great a win.

Notre Dame deserves to be in this game. They're also not built to compete with a team like Alabama.

I really strongly disagree with this. It obviously wasn't a *great* win, it was compromised by Clemson not having their QB. And when ND had a chance to validate that win but with Lawrence playing, they weren't competitive. Saying that it's "neither here nor there" that the game wasn't representative of the quality of the teams seems bizarre. It would be neither here nor there if a purely standings-based system determined who made the playoffs, like in the NFL, but when you're subjectively evaluating who gets in, of course it matters! It can't possibly not matter!

Furthermore, it's embarrassing to the CFP that a team that got smoked in its conference championship game gets invited. For all practical purposes, they already lost a playoff game! And again, they weren't competitive. Maybe if that game had come down to a coinflip last play, I could see the argument. But they got smoked, and the CFP simply gave them a mulligan because they're ND. And I mean, damn, the ACC is pretty much interchangeable with the AAC outside of Clemson, so it's not like ND even gets any "hard conference" points - we all know that if Wake or NC State had done the exact same thing, they'd have been given no consideration and no one would care.

I know Oklahoma had two losses, and Cincinnati and Coastal are from a loser conferences, but that 4th spot I think had to go to one of those three teams (I'd probably rank them CIN, OU, CCU; I agree with you at least that A&M had no plausible claim, I'm not that much of an SEC homer). If one of those three had gotten killed in the game, well, that's not much different than what we were expecting anyway with ND. If ND and Cincinnati played, would ND even be favored by all that much? I have my doubts.

Putting ND in there is such a blatant admission that the system is rigged in favor of a handful of schools that it's impossible to ignore without really strained motivated reasoning. This was just the committee telling Group of 5 teams not to even bother.
   94. Howie Menckel Posted: January 01, 2021 at 07:59 PM (#5997036)
for bonus points the "Irish" (grr) also lost nine consecutive bowl games from 1995-2006.

margins of defeat were 17, 5, 18, 7, 32, 22, 17, 14 and 27.

Colorado, North Carolina St, and Oregon St (twice!) are among the juggernaut programs that stomped on the leprechaun.

but both they and the networks cashed in with undeserved extra bowl money and higher TV ratings - and really, that's what college sports is supposed to be all about. I think.
   95. bunyon Posted: January 01, 2021 at 08:37 PM (#5997040)
I suspect it doesn’t matter who was 4 this year with Alabama. I just have a problem with letting teams that fail to win their conference in when the field is so small. Take the top four rated conference champs. Most years that’ll be a power 5. But this year would have been cincy and, yeah, they’d probably have gotten crushed. But they’d be a conference champ so hadn’t already had a chance at Alabama and Clemson. If you want at larges, expand to 8.

Some years the best 4 might well be the top 4 sec teams.
   96. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 08:46 PM (#5997042)
I've never heard a play-by-play guy so excited over a failed attempt to hurdle a defender resulting in a shoulder pad to the nuts.
   97. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 08:49 PM (#5997043)
Chris Fowler sees a POP pass and doesn't recognize it.
   98. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 01, 2021 at 08:53 PM (#5997044)
So has the rule on a punt touchback always been the ball passing the plane of the goal? I swear the rule was that you could flick it back into the field if it hadn’t bounced in the end zone

This is the 58th anniversary of the first college game I ever watched, the Ron Vander Kelen Rose Bowl.
   99. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 01, 2021 at 08:58 PM (#5997045)
It's the NFL that allows players to levitate and swat the ball back.
   100. Brian White Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:05 PM (#5997046)
I really strongly disagree with this. It obviously wasn't a *great* win, it was compromised by Clemson not having their QB. And when ND had a chance to validate that win but with Lawrence playing, they weren't competitive. Saying that it's "neither here nor there" that the game wasn't representative of the quality of the teams seems bizarre.

Eh, QB play was not the reason Clemson lost the first game. Their backup is very, very highly regarded, and played very well in the first Clemson/ND game - Clemson lost because they rushed for one yard per carry and Ian Book played out of his mind. ND lost the second game because it's very, very hard to beat an elite team twice in one season. Well, also because they're not as good as Clemson, but again, I don't think this should be a consideration.

Arguing about team quality, rather than actual games won and lost, is a very college football thing to do and it seems so very disconnected to how all other major sports are operated. When an MLB team gets outscored over the course of the season yet somehow stumbles its way into 95 wins and a division title, nobody argues that the team should not be in the playoffs, even if we know that team isn't actually that great. So I think it's correct to disregard any arguments about "team quality" and just focus on results on the field - it's what we do in every other sport, and college football doesn't have to be any different.

If you want to argue that Cincinnati should have been in, well sure, I'm not going to argue strongly against that. Would have helped if they had beaten a very beatable Georgia team in their bowl game but whatever. But if you want to accept the committee's dumb logic that G5 teams are automatically excluded, and have to pick from Notre Dame, TAMU, Oklahoma or USC, ND is absolutely the correct pick.
Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Traderdave
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(1217 - 4:52am, Jun 14)
Last: "bothsidesism" word 57i66135

NewsblogSinclair raising $250M for new sports streaming service, sources say
(6 - 3:30am, Jun 14)
Last: bookbook

NewsblogYankees are a broken team, so why is Brian Cashman doing nothing?
(7 - 3:17am, Jun 14)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogOMNICHATTER! for the weekend of June 12-13, 2021
(30 - 2:09am, Jun 14)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogFormer All-Star pitcher Jim 'Mudcat' Grant, who spent 14 seasons in the majors, dies at 85
(29 - 1:12am, Jun 14)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - In Which Euro 2020 Is Played in 2021
(110 - 7:40pm, Jun 13)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPhillies president Dave Dombrowski considers the late Darren Daulton one of his all-time great deadline deals
(9 - 6:46pm, Jun 13)
Last: Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre)

NewsblogWhy have the Dodgers been so slow to honor Glenn Burke, MLB’s first openly gay player?
(10 - 1:21pm, Jun 13)
Last: Tom Goes to the Ballpark

NewsblogTo the window, to the wall, to OMNICHATTER!, for June 11, 2021
(30 - 1:08pm, Jun 13)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogMets' Jacob deGrom leaves start with elbow issue, says 'level of concern not too high'
(11 - 11:10am, Jun 13)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogNew York Mets' Pete Alonso posits that MLB 'manipulates the baseball' based on free-agent class
(34 - 12:32am, Jun 13)
Last: Golfing Great Mitch Cumstein

Sox TherapyGetting There
(14 - 9:10pm, Jun 12)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

Newsblog'Sorry you had to see that' -- How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball
(75 - 3:53pm, Jun 12)
Last: BDC

Sox TherapyFeeling a Draft
(10 - 11:20am, Jun 12)
Last: Bad Fish

NewsblogStruggling Diamondbacks 'part ways' with hitting coaches Darnell Coles, Eric Hinske
(12 - 9:48am, Jun 12)
Last: Jack Sommers

Page rendered in 0.7159 seconds
48 querie(s) executed