Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, December 20, 2020

OT - College Football Bowl Spectacular (December 2020 - January 2021)

December 30   8:00 PM  Cotton Bowl            Oklahoma v. Florida

January 1    12:00 PM  Peach Bowl             Cincinnati v. Georgia
              4:00 PM  Yellow Rose Bowl       Notre Dame v. Alabama
              8:00 PM  Sugar Bowl             Ohio State v. Clemson

January 2     4:00 PM  Fiesta Bowl            Oregon v. Iowa State
              8:00 PM  Orange Bowl            Texas A&M v. North Carolina

January 11    8:00 PM  Championship Game      Yellow Rose winner v. Sugar winner
Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: December 20, 2020 at 06:13 PM | 132 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. nick swisher hygiene Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:07 PM (#5997047)
93, 95–Agreed. I wonder if Cincy looked good enough against Georgia to sway any minds.....were a bunch of Georgia guys sitting out?
   102. Brian C Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:10 PM (#5997048)
Speaking of indefensible choices, who's the a-hole at ESPN who decided it would be a good idea to put the down-and-distance on a gold banner, so that it constantly looks out of the corner of your eye like a penalty flag has been thrown?
I suspect it doesn’t matter who was 4 this year with Alabama. I just have a problem with letting teams that fail to win their conference in when the field is so small. Take the top four rated conference champs. Most years that’ll be a power 5. But this year would have been cincy and, yeah, they’d probably have gotten crushed. But they’d be a conference champ so hadn’t already had a chance at Alabama and Clemson. If you want at larges, expand to 8.

Some years the best 4 might well be the top 4 sec teams.

I'll go a step further and say that I think the 4-team playoff has been a disaster. I was in favor of it at the time, but it's clear that the Power 5 conferences can't reliably produce four teams that really deserve to be there, and it's equally clear that the Group of 5 teams simply need not apply. It's a farce of a system, and calls to expand are just insulting to me.

That said, I agree with you that if you're going to do 4 teams, you might as well limit it to conference champs. I suspect this would have some unintended consequences, likely even sparking another round of conference realignment, but I don't really care. It's fundamentally absurd to me to argue about who the "best" teams are in college football, given the short schedules and lack of interconference scheduling even in a normal year (say much less about this year) - there's simply no way to evaluate who the "best" teams are. For that matter, I doubt we could even come up with a coherent notion of what "best" means in the first place. It's a stupid thing to argue about. So to me, the obvious solution is to treat the regular season as a play-in instead of an audition.
   103. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:17 PM (#5997049)
It’s good to see #11 tOSU giving Clemson a game so far.
   104. Brian C Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:17 PM (#5997050)
Eh, QB play was not the reason Clemson lost the first game. Their backup is very, very highly regarded, and played very well in the first Clemson/ND game - Clemson lost because they rushed for one yard per carry and Ian Book played out of his mind. ND lost the second game because it's very, very hard to beat an elite team twice in one season. Well, also because they're not as good as Clemson, but again, I don't think this should be a consideration.

Arguing about team quality, rather than actual games won and lost, is a very college football thing to do and it seems so very disconnected to how all other major sports are operated. When an MLB team gets outscored over the course of the season yet somehow stumbles its way into 95 wins and a division title, nobody argues that the team should not be in the playoffs, even if we know that team isn't actually that great. So I think it's correct to disregard any arguments about "team quality" and just focus on results on the field - it's what we do in every other sport, and college football doesn't have to be any different.

Well, it's inherently different because these teams are chosen subjectively by a committee. If the CFP folks want to come up with a pure standings-based system like MLB has, great, I'm all ears. Until then, you're comparing apples and cows.
If you want to argue that Cincinnati should have been in, well sure, I'm not going to argue strongly against that. Would have helped if they had beaten a very beatable Georgia team in their bowl game but whatever.

Geez, talk about things that are neither here nor there, now we're talking about results after the decision was made?
But if you want to accept the committee's dumb logic that G5 teams are automatically excluded, and have to pick from Notre Dame, TAMU, Oklahoma or USC, ND is absolutely the correct pick.

I'd still go with OU in that case, and I think your logic in the first paragraph points to the same decision, frankly. Is OU not the equivalent of the mediocre MLB team that won its division? ND in this example represents some random stathead fave that "deserves" to get in over the 95-win, negative-run-differential team. The only argument ND has is the "team quality" of their big win, which is explicitly what you're arguing against as a criteria!
   105. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:19 PM (#5997051)
Thanks for the punt rule clarification, Lance. I don’t know why college doesn’t use the pro rule. It’s a fun thing to see when a team pulls it off.
   106. Howie Menckel Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:28 PM (#5997052)
Ohio State is an interesting contrast to Notre Dame.

Like the "Irish" (grr), they get every.single.break.every.single.year.

this year, the Big Ten even changed their rules so that the Buckeyes could play in the conference championship with only 5 games under their belt.

and sometimes, Ohio State gets utterly whacked in the big spot and it seems/is so undeserved of an opportunity.

but other times they are surprisingly competitive or even shockingly dominant.

and that's basically what fans want - we all knew Notre Dame would get disemboweled by Alabama, but you can't be quite sure from year to year about Ohio State.

(and - full disclosure, I loathe "THE" as well. but fair is fair.)
   107. bunyon Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:36 PM (#5997054)
Just want to say that if you aren’t sticking to champs, Notre Dame seems fine as 4 for the reasons given above. They couldn’t have griped if they were left out but they’re fine.

The 4 team playoff doesn’t reliably get 4 competitive teams but there are often/usually 3 and the system prevents having to leave one out.
   108. Brian C Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:39 PM (#5997055)
I don't know that Ohio State gets a ton of breaks. They've only made the CFP once as an at-large and were kept out with only 1 loss twice, once as the conference champ, so that evens out, more or less. Obviously the rule change this year was a nice assist, but even if they had played a 6th game and lost, they'd have been division champs. So that actually seemed fair to me, at least within the context of the complete clustereff that was the B1G this year.
   109. stanmvp48 Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:45 PM (#5997057)
No law against going for fourth and three Dabo. Especially against a non top ten team
   110. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:49 PM (#5997058)
Sermon is preaching to the Clemson faithful!
   111. Brian C Posted: January 01, 2021 at 09:58 PM (#5997059)
Clemson sure pulled a real Notre Dame here in the first half.
   112. bunyon Posted: January 01, 2021 at 10:13 PM (#5997062)
Well, Clemson did lose to Notre Dame, so they clearly suck.
   113. Mayor Blomberg Posted: January 01, 2021 at 10:24 PM (#5997063)
Nick, I'm not on the committee, but it didn't for me. Surprises happen but the AAC was nothing this year. The #2 team lost to the (3-7) last place team in the SEC East. The conference's only postseason win was Memphis (7-3) over FAU. What was Cincy's big win? Tulsa? Army?
   114. stanmvp48 Posted: January 01, 2021 at 10:27 PM (#5997064)
Looks like they are calling straight running plays rather than options. Perhaps Fields is limited
   115. stanmvp48 Posted: January 01, 2021 at 10:28 PM (#5997066)
"The number one adjustment they had to make was to get a stop. Offensively they need to get some rhythm"
   116. Howie Menckel Posted: January 01, 2021 at 10:40 PM (#5997068)
Twitter cognoscenti are claiming (without medical proof, obviously) that Fields has a broken rib or two, but that his coach insisted on no x-rays at halftime because then he might have to sit.

to be fair, I am comfortable in assuming a six-figure bonus for the coach if he wins this game - so he has something to play for (plus likely more than tripling down for him if they also win the title game).
   117. stanmvp48 Posted: January 01, 2021 at 11:13 PM (#5997073)
That's 611 total yards
   118. bunyon Posted: January 01, 2021 at 11:15 PM (#5997074)
Up 4 TD in the 4th, if my star QB had broken ribs and we had a championship game in two weeks, he’d be showered by now.
   119. stanmvp48 Posted: January 01, 2021 at 11:31 PM (#5997077)
Well I think he needs to run the ball once.
   120. Howie Menckel Posted: January 01, 2021 at 11:32 PM (#5997078)
Vegas books right now are dancing between -7 and -9 for Bama in the title game vs Ohio St
   121. gef the talking mongoose, peppery hostile Posted: January 02, 2021 at 12:11 PM (#5997113)
Tom Herman out at Texas; Steve Sarkisian supposedly has the job.
   122. Brian C Posted: January 02, 2021 at 09:46 PM (#5997174)
Tom Herman out at Texas; Steve Sarkisian supposedly has the job.

I call this a "Reverse Saban": publicly announce that you're keeping your coach and then fire him anyway. Firing Herman is one thing, coaches get fired all the time, but I really wonder what it was about Herman that made the administration want to humiliate him so thoroughly.

At any rate, Nothing like spending a few years working for Saban to make everyone forget that, actually, you're really nothing special of a coach. Sark and UT deserve each other and I look forward to three years from now when UT decides that the next hot name will be the one who will lead them back to glory, like, for real this time.
   123. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 11, 2021 at 08:16 PM (#5999121)
Whether this game is competitive will be decided by whether the Fields who shows up is the one who can place a ball just over the outstretched fingers of a cornerback 50 yards downfield or the one who can't hit the broadside of a barn.
   124. Brian White Posted: January 11, 2021 at 08:58 PM (#5999131)
*Ohio State struggles its way down the field, may or may not score*

*Alabama waltzes down the field with absolutely no resistance*

*repeat for four quarters*
   125. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 11, 2021 at 09:33 PM (#5999133)
When a guy has clearly been knocked unconscious on the field, it's not "good to see" him back in the game immediately.
   126. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 11, 2021 at 09:49 PM (#5999136)
Might wanna give help on Smith. Especially when a linebacker is on him.
   127. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: January 11, 2021 at 09:53 PM (#5999137)
If you're unwilling to try to score at the end of the half when you're down 18 because "But Alabama might score again," just walk back to the bus.
   128. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 11, 2021 at 10:00 PM (#5999140)
I call this a "Reverse Saban": publicly announce that you're keeping your coach and then fire him anyway. Firing Herman is one thing, coaches get fired all the time, but I really wonder what it was about Herman that made the administration want to humiliate him so thoroughly.

LOL, that's a keen observation. Thinking about it in that context and based on what I've seen from Texas college football Twitter, I'd guess it was the "Eyes of Texas" controversy. That apparently didn't sit well with the boosters. Just speculating though.
   129. Cowboy Popup Posted: January 11, 2021 at 10:00 PM (#5999141)
If you're unwilling to try to score at the end of the half when you're down 18 because "But Alabama might score again," just walk back to the bus.

QFT!
   130. stanmvp48 Posted: January 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM (#5999146)
Alabama should have accepted the running into the kicker penalty and thrown a Hail Mary. No downside
   131. stanmvp48 Posted: January 11, 2021 at 10:46 PM (#5999154)
Probably should have gone for fourth and goal on the 2
   132. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: June 10, 2021 at 04:08 PM (#6023620)
UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH
The College Football Playoff management committee will consider expanding to a 12-team format when it meets in Chicago next week, marking the first step in what could be another historic change for the sport's postseason.

The proposal calls for the bracket to include the six highest-ranked conference champions and the six remaining highest-ranked teams as determined by the CFP selection committee.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Darren
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogSinclair raising $250M for new sports streaming service, sources say
(6 - 3:30am, Jun 14)
Last: bookbook

NewsblogYankees are a broken team, so why is Brian Cashman doing nothing?
(7 - 3:17am, Jun 14)
Last: Ben Broussard Ramjet

NewsblogOMNICHATTER! for the weekend of June 12-13, 2021
(30 - 2:09am, Jun 14)
Last: Brian C

NewsblogFormer All-Star pitcher Jim 'Mudcat' Grant, who spent 14 seasons in the majors, dies at 85
(29 - 1:12am, Jun 14)
Last: SoSH U at work

NewsblogNBA 2021 Playoffs+ thread
(1216 - 11:23pm, Jun 13)
Last: tshipman

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - In Which Euro 2020 Is Played in 2021
(110 - 7:40pm, Jun 13)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogPhillies president Dave Dombrowski considers the late Darren Daulton one of his all-time great deadline deals
(9 - 6:46pm, Jun 13)
Last: Shohei Brotani (formerly LA Hombre)

NewsblogWhy have the Dodgers been so slow to honor Glenn Burke, MLB’s first openly gay player?
(10 - 1:21pm, Jun 13)
Last: Tom Goes to the Ballpark

NewsblogTo the window, to the wall, to OMNICHATTER!, for June 11, 2021
(30 - 1:08pm, Jun 13)
Last: sunday silence (again)

NewsblogMets' Jacob deGrom leaves start with elbow issue, says 'level of concern not too high'
(11 - 11:10am, Jun 13)
Last: pikepredator

NewsblogNew York Mets' Pete Alonso posits that MLB 'manipulates the baseball' based on free-agent class
(34 - 12:32am, Jun 13)
Last: Golfing Great Mitch Cumstein

Sox TherapyGetting There
(14 - 9:10pm, Jun 12)
Last: Jose Is An Absurd Balladeer

Newsblog'Sorry you had to see that' -- How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball
(75 - 3:53pm, Jun 12)
Last: BDC

Sox TherapyFeeling a Draft
(10 - 11:20am, Jun 12)
Last: Bad Fish

NewsblogStruggling Diamondbacks 'part ways' with hitting coaches Darnell Coles, Eric Hinske
(12 - 9:48am, Jun 12)
Last: Jack Sommers

Page rendered in 0.3554 seconds
48 querie(s) executed