Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 23, 2019

OT - NBA Thread 2020

I estimate only 10-12 Primates care about the NBA, and hopefully none of the other ones posted a duplicate thread to this.

Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: December 23, 2019 at 04:40 PM | 2031 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nba, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 20 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 > 
   1901. Athletic Supporter is USDA certified lean Posted: March 19, 2020 at 05:24 PM (#5932099)
flip
   1902. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 06:18 PM (#5932114)
Kyle Neubeck @KyleNeubeck
Three members of the 76ers organization have tested positive for COVID-19. Team statement:
pic.twitter.com/nJakgb8DSM
   1903. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 06:19 PM (#5932115)
1885. udonis weakly 57i66135 zaza Posted: March 17, 2020 at 04:46 PM (#5931493)
over/under: number of NBA players named "joel embiid" who will eventually test positive for coronasars:

1904. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 06:25 PM (#5932116)
renaldo balkman
linus kleiza
johan petro
I'm confident they were all on the Nuggets together. I'm not confident of the year. I'll say 2013.

2009 DEN.
   1905. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 06:28 PM (#5932118)
Tim Reynolds @ByTimReynolds
The updated COVID-19 count among the NBA family: 11. Players: 7. Unknown staff (may include players): 4. Teams with positive tests within organization so far: Utah, Brooklyn, Detroit, Philadelphia, Denver.
Josh Martin @LonzoWire
NBA to shut down all team training facilities starting Friday wp.me/p97u1L-5vm
Nikos Varlas @Eurohoopsnet
US players called to leave Europe immediately or prepare to remain abroad indefinitely following State Department's level-4 travel advisory | Eurohoops eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/…

Bill Oram @billoram
Before the season was suspended, it was hard to ignore just how much the Lakers overcame to seize the top spot in the Western Conference. Had any organization ever endured more tumult in a single season? theathletic.com/1669029/
.... go #### yourself, bill oram.
   1906. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 07:23 PM (#5932131)
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
Two Lakers players have tested positive for coronavirus, sources tell @The Athletic @Stadium. The team may test the remaining players who did not take tests Wednesday morning.
Jay King @ByJayKing
The percentage of NBA players who have tested positive — compared to the overall number of players tested — is frighteningly high.
   1907. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 07:45 PM (#5932133)
Marc Stein @TheSteinLine
STATEMENT FROM THE BOSTON CELTICS The Boston Celtics learned today that a player has tested positive for COVID-19. Testing was initiated because of exposure to a known positive case.
   1908. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 07:52 PM (#5932134)
Ira Winderman @IraHeatBeat
Wrote today so you'd have something to read: How the Heat’s Andre Iguodala became an investor in a key tool in the coronavirus pandemic sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl…

Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne
How did the NBA get to the front of the line for COVID-19 testing? They started lining up six weeks ago. Tag team story with ⁦@Brian Windhorst⁩ ⁦@Zach Lowe⁩ ⁦@Royce Young⁩ ⁦@Tim Bontemps⁩ ⁦@BobbyMarks42⁩ ⁦@wojespn⁩ espn.com/nba/story/_/id…

Jamie Hudson @JamieHudsonNBCS
Adam Silver feels NBA players could've been classified as ‘super spreaders’ -- nbcsports.com/northwest/port…

Stefan Bondy @SBondyNYDN
There’s an easy way for MSG Network to get viewers right now: replay the entire 11 games of Linsanity.
   1909. Booey Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:07 PM (#5932135)
#1907 - Marcus Smart is the Celtic.
   1910. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:18 PM (#5932137)
Jay King @ByJayKing
The Celtics are still waiting on some tests, according to sources. There’s still a possibility Marcus Smart isn’t the only person in the organization with the coronavirus.

Tommy Beer @TommyBeer
Nearly 50% of all NBA players and coaches have been tested. Yet less than 0.0004% of all other Americans have been tested. It’s not the NBA’s fault that there aren’t enough tests for everybody, but teams should considering paying for some tests for symptomatic doctors or nurses
Andy Larsen @andyblarsen
FYI, gathering more than 10 people in Salt Lake County is now punishable with a misdemeanor charge: sltrib.com/news/2020/03/1…
   1911. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:25 PM (#5932139)
   1912. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:29 PM (#5932141)
This blew my mind at the time.
i feel the same way about this one.
   1913. NJ in NY (Now with two kids!) Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:30 PM (#5932142)
That Bulls-Celtics was the series that brought me back to the NBA. The Isaiah era Knicks had broken me and I stopped watching basketball on a regular basis and then that got me back in.
   1914. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:33 PM (#5932143)
Hakeem was a magician.
   1915. RJ in TO Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:44 PM (#5932145)
Hakeem was a magician.
He remains my second least favorite Raptor, behind only Alonzo Mourning.

With that being said, in his prime, he was amazing to watch.
   1916. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: March 19, 2020 at 08:46 PM (#5932146)
He remains my second least favorite Raptor, behind only Alonzo Mourning.

This is an amazing statement.
   1917. tshipman Posted: March 19, 2020 at 10:04 PM (#5932162)
PG: Marcus Smart

SG: Donovan Mitchell

SF: Kevin Durant

PF: Christian Wood

C: Rudy Gobert

60 wins? 55 wins?
   1918. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 10:45 PM (#5932171)
for the record, my favorite raptor is rafael araujo.
   1919. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:13 PM (#5932175)
Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi
California governor Gavin Newsom: "The virus (COVID-19) will impact about 56% of us. You do the math and in the state of California that's a particularly large number." pic.twitter.com/Bem3m1tIYM
Arash Markazi @ArashMarkazi
Here is the executive order from California governor Gavin Newsom ordering all 40 million Californians to stay at home.
pic.twitter.com/bcJ3QJ9QrD
Jeff Siegel @jgsiegel
I just rediscovered this gif on my computer and it takes on a whole new meaning after the last week+.
pic.twitter.com/CeuDeBboHR
The Vertical @YahooSportsNBA
None of the NBA players who had their talent stolen in Space Jam ever won NBA rings.
James Ham @James_HamNBCS
My initial thoughts on this game: I miss JaKarr Sampson and I can't wait for Jack Cooley @Jack Cooley to check in.
   1920. RJ in TO Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:23 PM (#5932178)
This is an amazing statement.
Dude totally mailed it in while he was up here. Despite taking a multi-year deal from them, he clearly did not want to be on the Raptors at all.

But he was still better than Mourning, whose kidney started acting up the minute he got to the Raptors so he couldn't play and might have to retire, and then suddenly felt fine the second after they released him and he could sign with the Heat.
   1921. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:25 PM (#5932181)
Dude totally mailed it in while he was up here. Despite taking a multi-year deal from them, he clearly did not want to be on the Raptors at all.

But he was still better than Mourning, whose kidney started acting up the minute he got to the Raptors so he couldn't play and might have to retire, and then suddenly felt fine the second after they released him and he could sign with the Heat.
i thought i was ready for FULL RJ IN TO; i was not ready for FULL RJ IN TO
   1922. RJ in TO Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:27 PM (#5932182)
for the record, my favorite raptor is rafael araujo.
God, that guy had no idea how to play basketball. It was just an incredible waste of a pick, especially since Iguadala went with the next pick. Rob Babcock was just remarkably bad at his job.
   1923. RJ in TO Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM (#5932183)
i thought i was ready for FULL RJ IN TO; i was not ready for FULL RJ IN TO
There are large chunks of Raptors history about which I am not capable of discussing rationally.
   1924. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:45 PM (#5932184)
God, that guy had no idea how to play basketball. It was just an incredible waste of a pick, especially since Iguadala went with the next pick. Rob Babcock was just remarkably bad at his job.
it was an 8-player draft, and the sixers had the 9th pick.

from chad ford's draft grade article:

Toronto Raptors

Round 1: Rafael Araujo, C, BYU (No. 8)

Round 2: Pape Sow, PF, Cal State Fullerton (No. 47)

Deals: Traded draft rights of Albert Miralles to the Raptors for draft rights to Sow.

This was probably a little early to grab Araujo, but I understand what the Raptors were thinking. They needed a center in the worst, worst way. Chris Bosh is much more comfortable playing the four. Araujo is the only other big guy in the draft, other than Okafor, who is ready to play right now. He's strong, aggressive and isn't afraid to beat up people. He'll be a nice addition in Toronto, though he doesn't have the upside many of the other people on the board (read Swift and Pavel) did. Sow is an interesting second-round fit. His physicality will help in Toronto.
Philadelphia 76ers

Round 1: Andre Iguodala, SG, Arizona (No. 9)

Round 2: No pick

The Sixers are very happy to end up with Iguodala. After Luol Deng, Iguodala was the second-highest swingman on their board. The great thing about Iguodala is that he doesn't need to shoot 20 times a night to be effective. That's important to any team that has Allen Iverson on it. I think Iguodala is a steal here. We had him ranked No. 4 on our big board.
Boston Celtics

Round 1: Al Jefferson, PF, Prentiss (MS) (No. 15)

Round 1: Delonte West, G, St. Joseph's (No. 24)

Round 1: Tony Allen, SG, Oklahoma State (No. 25)

Round 2: Justin Reed, SF, Mississippi (No. 40)

I'm not sure how you could call this draft by the Celtics a success. The lost out on the guy they wanted Robert Swift. They did get another guy they had ranked highly in Al Jefferson. Danny Ainge must have felt that they needed size considering that Mark Blount was likely gone, and they didn't have anyone else to play in the paint. However, after that the West, Allen and Reed picks are a little weird. West I can understand because, if he turns into a real point guard, he could be special. Allen was one of the best defenders in college basketball. He's got a great body and he's a very good athlete. However, I'm not sure how two undersized guards are going to help a Celtics' backcourt that already is size challenged. The stuff about having Allen and West ranked as the second-best two guard and point guard in the draft is either some serious after-the-fact spin, or everyone in their scouting department needs to be fired. That's ridiculous.

Grade: C
Orlando Magic

Round 1: Dwight Howard, PF, Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy (No. 1)

Round 1: Jameer Nelson, PG, St. Joseph's (No. 20)

Round 2: Anderson Varejao, PF, Brazil (No. 30)

Deals: Acquired Nelson from the Nuggets for a future first rounder. Traded rights to Antonio Burks to the Grizzlies for a future second

Why Howard over Okafor? Two things stand out. One, now that the Magic are pretty certain that they are trading T-Mac, they want to start rebuilding. Many teams think that Howard has the most upside in the draft and can become a franchise player down the road. Fewer people believe that about Okafor. Two, the back issue, however minor it was, spooked the Magic. After going through the Grant Hill fiasco, they couldn't afford to have their building block come up lame. Still, I believe the Magic should've taken Okafor. I think Howard has all the skills to be a great player, but does he have the heart? Adding Nelson and Varejao were both very solid. Nelson can come in right away and help Orlando. Varejao could too as an energy guy, though it's likely he stays in Spain another year or two. Not a bad draft, but I think they'll regret not taking Okafor.

Grade: B+
   1925. smileyy Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:48 PM (#5932185)
"Most over-drafted by last name" has to have the Okafor's as contenders.
   1926. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 19, 2020 at 11:57 PM (#5932187)
from draft express in 2007:
BOSTON CELTICS
Picks: Traded Jeff Green (#5) to Seattle with Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak for Ray Allen and #35 pick (Glen Davis), Gabe Pruitt (#32)

This reeks of a panic move on Danny Ainge’s part to try and save his job after the flurry of trade rumors that never materialized. If this was a matter of trading for Ray Allen now or trading Paul Pierce for pennies on the dollar he might have made the right choice, but it’s hard not to feel like he could have gotten more value out of the #5 pick. If Ainge turns around and flips Theo Ratliff, Al Jefferson and change for Kevin Garnett then we’ll stand corrected, but right now there’s not a whole lot to get excited about here, besides the temporary excitement Celtics fans will get from being knocked out of the playoffs in the first or second round.

SACRAMENTO KINGS
Picks: Spencer Hawes (#10)

The Kings got solid value with the 10th pick by taking Hawes, but you have to wonder how he fits in with incoming coach Reggie Theus’ plan of playing run and gun? It sure seems like Julian Wright or Al Thornton would have made more sense for that plan. Hawes will be able to pick up the tricks of the trade behind Brad Miller over the next few years, so we’ll see how this pick turns out. Things are probably going to have to get a lot worse in Sac-Town before they get better.
HOUSTON ROCKETS
Picks: Aaron Brooks (#26), traded future 2nd-round pick and cash to Seattle for Carl Landry (#31), Brad Newley (#54)

Grade: D
First off, this pick reeks of a trade, because it obviously makes very little sense. The Rockets have three capable point guards on their roster already in Rafer Alston, Mike James and John Lucas, so it’s not quite clear where Brooks fits in. If the Rockets end up trading this pick on July 15th (maybe to Sacramento in a package for Ron Artest?) then ignore this grade and analysis altogether. If they took Brooks with the intention of keeping him, though, then we’re pretty stumped. Brooks is a player who clearly could have been had in the second round, besides the fact that he doesn’t fill any kind of need for a team that needs to win right now. The Rockets don’t have any power forwards on their roster at the moment (Chuck Hayes is a free agent), and there were a few players here that could have had value at this slot. Nick Fazekas, Josh McRoberts, Glen Davis, and especially Tiago Splitter come to mind. When Splitter comes over to San Antonio next year and starts contributing big minutes right away, people in Houston will almost certainly be smacking their foreheads for passing him up. Daryl Morey has been criticized for only being a “Moneyball” or “stat guy” by various sources, but Brooks doesn’t grade out particularly well on the sabermetrics scales. Carl Landry on the other hand, certainly does. He also fills a bit of the void we spoke about at the power forward position above, even though he can’t do it by himself obviously. Landry comes game-ready, though, at age 23, which is good considering how much they’ll need him right away if they don’t make a big move in free agency. Still, it’s hard not to come away thinking that the Rockets reached once again here.
   1927. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 20, 2020 at 12:21 AM (#5932188)
I wouldn't be surprised if you told me Robert Swift didn't play a single minute in the NBA. I remember him being drafted and then I remember him being in the news for being sued for destroying a rental house and that's it. Guess the draft gurus had no idea what to do with a draft where almost all the big men were not worth drafting. "Araujo is the only other big guy in the draft, other than Okafor, who is ready to play right now. He's strong, aggressive and isn't afraid to beat up people. He'll be a nice addition in Toronto, though he doesn't have the upside many of the other people on the board (read Swift and Pavel) did." is a dispatch from another dimension.
   1928. jmurph Posted: March 20, 2020 at 07:56 AM (#5932198)
Another great "better to be lucky than good" moment for Ainge, who reportedly lusted after Swift. He was apparently still trying to get him after it was very clear he was a bust.
   1929. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 10:41 AM (#5932226)
Jimmy Spencer @JimmySpencerUN
The most brilliant minds in medicine who are experts in disease and public health: “Stay home. This is serious. Take all precautions. We are in uncharted territory.” Your Facebook friend from high school: “It’s overblown.”
Chris Mannix @SIChrisMannix
Column: As USA Basketball continues to prepare for the summer Olympics, why does the IOC believe holding the Games is a good idea? si.com/nba/2020/03/20…
Doug Smith @SmithRaps
This is how weird this is: I almost -- ALMOST -- miss people prattling on about their brackets. Almost
Fred Katz @FredKatz
Sources: NBC Sports Washington will run video game simulations of Wizards and Capitals games and will complement it with commentary from NBCSW talent. Details in here: theathletic.com/?p=1688925
Jon Johnson @jonjohnsonwip
NBA franchises closing team facilities today is a big deal. These buildings have always been a safe place for all things basketball, & health that players use nearly every single day. Going into no-excuse self-quarantine for an undisclosed amount of time pushes back timeline.
Mike Wise @MikeWiseguy
“In the worst-case scenario, America is on a trajectory toward 1.1 million deaths. That model envisions the sick pouring into hospitals, overwhelming even makeshift beds in parking lot tents.” — Facts and rational fears that we can only change ourselves. washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03…
Jorge Sierra @hoopshype
Why NBA players could be considered 'super spreaders' of COVID-19.
pic.twitter.com/vMjPxhB4SF
   1930. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 11:20 AM (#5932236)
okay. let's get started with 57i66135 scouting college PGs:

cole anthony (UNC):

he's a tempo guy.
mediocre size, athleticism, wiggle, burst, playmaking, ball handling, courtvision. unexciting tools just about across the board.
good shooter.
his handle is not tight at all.
very good at moving off the ball.
seems like his best fit would be next to a primary wing initiator like doncic, kawhi, butler, etc.
has a good feel for running the pnr.
below the rim athlete.
does not have a left hand.

he reminds me of trey burke.
   1931. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 11:40 AM (#5932242)
nico mannion (ARIZ):

he looks like a shooter.
has a left hand.
not an NBA PG.
athleticism, wiggle, burst, all below average
decent vision, but he's not gonna be able to create space against NBA caliber defenders.
good at pushing the pace in transition.
his entry passes into the post are pretty good.
he did this.
his shooting form on 25+' 3PAs looks a lot like an 8-year old who's playing on a 10' rim for the first time.

his upside is derrick fisher. maybe.
   1932. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 05:07 PM (#5932327)
Peter Vecsey @PeterVecsey1
Trying to amuse myself, I'm ingesting old pills I've found while cleaning...
Scott Agness @ScottAgness
Self-isolation Day 9: Got a spam call and enjoyed it. pic.twitter.com/iB1DnJfwaV
Eric Koreen @ekoreen
FWIW — and I’m not sure how much it’s worth — one of my doctors told me the statistic he’s keeping a close eye on is deaths in Italy. Since reporting and testing are all over the place, if deaths start to steeply decline, it would suggest that their stronger measures are working.
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
A surprising recommendation I received from an ER doc at U of Chicago: When you have to go outside, create a "hot zone" where you leave as much of your clothes & shoes before coming back into your house or apartment. This means shoes, hats, gloves, Luka jerseys, dog leashes, etc.
Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria
If you're looking for a hoops fix, ESPN2 will air 18 hours of McDonald's All-American Games starting at 6 a.m. Saturday Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, James Harden, Lebron James, Candace Parker, Paul Pierce and Zion Williamson are among the stars spotlighted pic.twitter.com/StpGEAOZA8
Dan Gelston @APgelston
Kind of hard to work with real-hair, creepy looking ⁦@KyleKorver⁩ shaking his head at me.
pic.twitter.com/TovCqW4HEz
Jon Hamm @JonMHamm
From the mind of my soon-to-9-year old: “I kinda want to get my birthday presents early because you need to buy them before the stores shut down. Otherwise you’ll just give me something already in the house like, ‘here you go enjoy your med kit’”
Sarah Todd @NBASarah
For those that didn’t believe me about orange juice on cereal...I’m killing a bowl of fruit loops on Instagram
   1933. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 05:19 PM (#5932330)
Ethan J. Skolnick @EthanJSkolnick
If a sports executive or coach held a press conference like that, everyone would be screaming for a resignation that day. It would be on a loop on all of ESPN’s shows. Coaches are held to higher standards than the president.
   1934. smileyy Posted: March 20, 2020 at 08:37 PM (#5932375)
So I appreciate Stigs's scouting reports (needs more wiggle!). Do we want to get anything else going on here?
   1935. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: March 20, 2020 at 08:58 PM (#5932381)

nico mannion (ARIZ):

has a left hand.

That's a relief.
   1936. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 09:50 PM (#5932392)
That's a relief.
bigot.
So I appreciate Stigs's scouting reports (needs more wiggle!). Do we want to get anything else going on here?
if you want, i can share my 10 favorite gorados haglsnort armpit photos.

also, the wiggle needs to happen naturally. it's not like sex; you can't just force it.
   1937. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 10:18 PM (#5932394)
tyrese haliburton (iowa state):

great length
solid athleticism
shooting form looks weird
good range, though
disruptive defender
advanced feel for spacing, angles, pace
plays like he's on ritalin.
pushes the pace well in transition.
not gonna break anyone down off the dribble, but he's got the pump fake, blow by.
possible pnr initiator, but probably not a primary ball handler.

reminds me of danny green.
definitely my favorite prospect so far.
i'd rate him ahead of the guy CHI got last year (coby white).

ranking ladder:
haliburton
anthony
mannion
   1938. smileyy Posted: March 20, 2020 at 10:23 PM (#5932396)
plays like he's on ritalin

Is this a positive?

BTW I really enjoy these posts.
   1939. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 20, 2020 at 10:52 PM (#5932400)
Is this a positive?
ehh....it's color more than anything else.

whenever he's standing still, it's like he has the muzzled energy of a hyperactive 8 year old a few seconds before he runs out of a classroom to chase after a butterfly.
   1940. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: March 20, 2020 at 11:27 PM (#5932401)
Halliburton is like a text book type of player I’d overrate and fall for
   1941. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 21, 2020 at 11:29 AM (#5932439)
ashton hagans (kentucky):

this guy has wiggle
very good burst
disruptive defender
looks skinny, but he's deceptively strong
good courtvision
this guy is a real PG; not a combo guard; not an iso-scorer.
has a good feel for reading defenses.
plays with good leverage
can go left and right
drives when he goes right; pulls up from the left

he reminds me of dennis schroder.

i think i rate him above anthony, but it's still pretty early in the process, so i will reserve the right to change things up if i feel it's necessary.

ladder:
haliburton
hagans
anthony
mannion
   1942. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM (#5932455)
btw, this is purely based on video. in previous years, i poked around the statistics to get a feel for what i should be looking for, but i haven't been doing that for this year's prospects so far.

i wasn't doing that intentionally until i became aware of it (after i looked at haliburton). i'm not sure if it's a feature or a bug, but i think i'll keep doing it this way for now.
   1943. The Mighty Quintana Posted: March 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM (#5932479)
What do you make of Tre Jones of Duke? I've always liked him.
   1944. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 21, 2020 at 12:48 PM (#5932484)
also, for anyone interested in doing something similar (not even necessarily basketball related), this is a very useful (also: painfully dense) reference to use as a guide while you get going:

For instance, the many different kinds of athleticism a player can have from run-and-jump to agility to balance to fluidity to even the difference between explosion (leaping) and burst (first step). If we are to accurately quantify the player’s ability going forward, we have to understand that a player who runs fast and jumps high is not necessarily one who moves well laterally or changes direction well (also two separate athletic skills), and we have to have a framework, at least intuitively that allows us to recognize the differences.
1. Do you enjoy watching the prospect play? Why or why not?
2. Would you enjoy playing with the prospect? Why or why not?
3. Does the prospect make quick decisions?
4. Does the prospect almost always make quick decisions?
5. Does the prospect make good decisions?
6. Does the prospect almost always make good decisions?
7. Is the prospect competitive?
8. Is the prospect psycho-level competitive?
91. Does the prospect make good decisions?
92. Does the prospect make quick decisions?
93. Does the prospect add value with individual defense?
94. Does the prospect add value with team defense?
95. Does the prospect add defensive versatility?
123. Does the way the prospect see the floor ever surprise you? (Does the prospect see openings before you do, or simply openings that you do not?)
124. Does the prospect have any interesting features to his game that warrant mention? (i.e. Chris Paul’s ability to stop time and hang out in the middle of the floor on just about any possession he wants to)
190. Do I like watching the prospect? If so, am I being objective in my evaluation?
191. Do I dislike watching the prospect? If so, am I being objective in my evaluation?
192. Am I evaluating spreadsheet data, game film or both?
193. Are there certain types of prospects I am more inclined to like or dislike?
194. Discovery bias. Is the fact that I found this player biasing my opinion of him?

1945. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 21, 2020 at 03:09 PM (#5932508)
What do you make of Tre Jones of Duke? I've always liked him.

i haven't looked at him yet, but last year, i think i rated him as an interesting developmental prospect, who should have gone back to school. which he did.
4722. udonis weakly 57i66135 zaza Posted: June 27, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5856382)
i just remembered that a drunk and naked ryen russillo was arrested after breaking into someone's home in wyoming.

1946. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 21, 2020 at 05:38 PM (#5932529)
tre jones (dook):

i'm not a fan.
he looks slow and small
doesn't have a particularly good handle
not much wiggle
not much burst
below the rim athleticism
not overly engaged as a defender.
he's very good at jumping and then making a nice pass, but that's a terrible trait for the NBA.
he makes everything look hard.
he's a very nifty passer. i'm not sure about his courtvision, instincts or decisionmaking, but he does some interesting things, especially out of a pnr.

it's too harsh to say that he's undraftable, but i would not consider drafting him. he has substantial physical limitations, and he doesn't have a high level skillset to make up for it. he does not inspire joy.

ranking ladder:
lottery: haliburton, hagans
15-40: anthony, mannion
41+: jones
   1947. spivey Posted: March 21, 2020 at 05:52 PM (#5932532)
I don't watch a lot of college bball, but I found Tre Jones to be a very good defender. An almost Beverly type where he exposed the poor handle of a lot of college PGs. That said, it's easier to do that at the college level than the pro. And his offensive game hasn't impressed me. This class sucks, right?

But his skillset feels like a 2nd rounder where he'd be a PG on a team that doesn't use him as a primary initiator.
   1948. tshipman Posted: March 21, 2020 at 06:28 PM (#5932542)
This class sucks, right?

That's what I was thinking. Anthony Edwards was being talked up as the #1 pick recently. He looks like he'd have gone 4th or 5th last year and 6th or 7th the Doncic year.

I think Tre Jones is quite a bit better than several of the other guys Stiggles is evaluating. I continue to think these "scouting" reports are basically worthless.
   1949. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 21, 2020 at 07:54 PM (#5932555)
I don't watch a lot of college bball, but I found Tre Jones to be a very good defender. An almost Beverly type where he exposed the poor handle of a lot of college PGs. That said, it's easier to do that at the college level than the pro. And his offensive game hasn't impressed me.

yeah, i didn't see that at all.

he jumped on a bunch of lazy passes, but in terms of 1 on 1 defense, there was nothing that made me think he'd be an average defender vs. NBA PGs.
I think Tre Jones is quite a bit better than several of the other guys Stiggles is evaluating. I continue to think these "scouting" reports are basically worthless.

at least they aren't worth less than you paid for them. probably.

this is the 4th year i've been doing this, so if you're interested, there are receipts you can look up. and unlike chad ford, i don't usually go back to alter posts that reflect unfavorably on me.

iirc, relative to the general consensus: i was lower on fultz than most people; i was low on dennis smith and frank nitty and collin sexton and jerome robinson. otoh, i was very high on deaaron fox, monte morris, SGA, lonzo, thybulle, shamet.

among players i was high on who haven't made it (yet): keenan evans (microwave 0-guard), allonzo trier (slashing/floor spacing wing), jaylen hands (high BBIQ combo guard), carsen edwards (microwave 0-guard)

1950. spivey Posted: March 21, 2020 at 08:03 PM (#5932557)
he jumped on a bunch of lazy passes, but in terms of 1 on 1 defense, there was nothing that made me think he'd be an average defender vs. NBA PGs.

I remember him absolutely hounding Michigan State's PG in a game, and granted that MSU PG looks like his body fat % is higher than mine, but I believe he's a decently well rated college PG. I saw him picking up other guards full court and at half court as well, and generally seeming to be ok at it. Some of this is an athletic thing - if you're more athletic than the guy you're guarding, you can really get in his shirt. If you're not, it's much harder.

Let's see how he grades out at the combine.
   1951. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: March 22, 2020 at 02:51 AM (#5932608)
My money is on the NBA Thread surviving the pandemic.
   1952. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 22, 2020 at 09:16 AM (#5932613)
My money is on the NBA Thread surviving the pandemic.
the NBA thread will survive for as long as this site does.

so, i guess it could end tomorrow.

anyway, the sixers have the best home record in the NBA since 2017. #hinkielives
   1953. Do Not Touch Fancy Pants Socially Distanced Handle Posted: March 22, 2020 at 09:39 AM (#5932616)
the NBA thread will survive for as long as this site does.

so, i guess it could end tomorrow.

The OTP thread has transcended this mortal coil. It exists beyond the realm of life and death. It is now one with the singularity.

Seriously though, you guys should figure out some kind of backup plan.
   1954. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM (#5932619)
TJ McBride @TJMcBrideNBA
I was not prepared to wake up to Jamal Murray trending.
   1955. tshipman Posted: March 22, 2020 at 05:17 PM (#5932676)
Let's be fair. It's really his gf who's trending. He's just sort of also there.
   1956. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 22, 2020 at 09:30 PM (#5932709)
markus howard (marquette):

non-entity on defense.
wiggle-ish.
below average burst.
ballhanding is a bit janky; not in a bad way. he may actually benefit from leaning more into it.
his release is lightning.
he's not going to struggle to get his shot off against NBA defenders.

i don't like him as much as some guys i've looked at in previous years, but i'd be willing to bet on him. if he spends the next year in an NBA weight room and is able to add some quickness and some explosiveness, i think he could be a lower-middle-tier starter at PG, similar to jeff teague or collin sexton. that seems like pretty good value for an early/mid 2nd round pick.

ranking ladder:
lottery: haliburton, hagans
15-40: anthony, howard, mannion
41+: tre jones
   1957. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 22, 2020 at 10:05 PM (#5932712)
fun fact:

if the NBA season is, in fact, over, the 1st round pick PHI got last year in that shiity MFer trade will convey, and the sixers will have gotten #33 and #21 out of it. which, unfortunately, is a hell of a lot more than eric jr got back for okafor and noel.
   1958. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 23, 2020 at 11:13 AM (#5932772)
Let's see how he grades out at the combine.
oh, and fwiw:

there will not be an NBA combine this year. i don't know if it's been officially canceled yet, but there's no way it's happening.
   1959. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 23, 2020 at 11:24 AM (#5932776)
malachi flynn (SDSU):

he looks like a shooter.
very gritty.
fiery competitor.
deceptively athletic.
good at math.
well-prepared... almost too well-prepared.
very well spoken.
too athletic to play QB?
wears too much makeup.
cerebral.
doesn't wear enough makeup.
voice is too shrill.
too emotional.
not emotionable enough.
   1960. spivey Posted: March 23, 2020 at 12:39 PM (#5932788)
oh, and fwiw:

there will not be an NBA combine this year. i don't know if it's been officially canceled yet, but there's no way it's happening.

That may be the case. I meant it figuratively. I presume they'll still have the players do broad jumps and 3/4 court sprints and stuff in some sort of individual way. But you know, maybe they won't.
   1961. tshipman Posted: March 23, 2020 at 03:17 PM (#5932857)
markus howard (marquette):

he's not going to struggle to get his shot off against NBA defenders.

He's a 5'11 senior who shoots 43% from 2per range. If he's not capable of finishing against college bigs, he will not be capable of sniffing the rim at the pro level. His upside is like Isaiah Thomas. Not the Boston year where he caught lightning in a bottle. Like 2019 Isaiah Thomas.
   1962. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: March 23, 2020 at 05:51 PM (#5932917)
you guys should figure out some kind of backup plan
The hard part isn't building a new message board—I could probably do that in a weekend, and there are plenty of services that would host this volume of traffic for free—it's getting a new url to the members of an ad hoc online community after its gathering place has vanished.
   1963. spivey Posted: March 23, 2020 at 07:54 PM (#5932943)
That part can be trivial as well if planned - just need everyone's email. Perhaps next time we do an all-time ranking - is now a good time!? - we can throw that in the google doc too.
   1964. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 23, 2020 at 07:56 PM (#5932944)
rec.sport.mattstainbrook
   1965. smileyy Posted: March 23, 2020 at 08:11 PM (#5932947)
The Stain Train lives!
   1966. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 23, 2020 at 08:44 PM (#5932950)
The Stain Train lives!
yancy gates isn't walking through that door.
   1967. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 24, 2020 at 12:35 AM (#5932983)
He's a 5'11 senior who shoots 43% from 2per range. If he's not capable of finishing against college bigs, he will not be capable of sniffing the rim at the pro level. His upside is like Isaiah Thomas. Not the Boston year where he caught lightning in a bottle. Like 2019 Isaiah Thomas.

i find your lack of faith disturbing.

but i can't deny that it is a reasonable argument, and so i will revisit howard's video again before the draft in light of it.

however, i will also note that the opportunity cost in preferring howard over whichever random prospect is also in consideration at #45 is not likely to be very high (bol bol notwithstanding).
   1968. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: March 24, 2020 at 10:17 AM (#5933064)
   1969. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 24, 2020 at 11:59 AM (#5933087)
This is a bad precedent.
it's actually pretty reasonable when you think about it.

while it's not at all their fault, most of these employees are not able to perform the duties they're being paid for, so only cutting their salaries by 20% is very generous, when you think about it.

i know it's hard to keep things in perspective during these times, but you have to remember: the hardest hit people in this pandemic are billionares who have given 9-figure bribes to the president's adult children. they are truly suffering, and for the survival of the society that we live in, it is not just important: it is essential, that we are all able to understand their suffrage.
   1970. jmurph Posted: March 24, 2020 at 12:30 PM (#5933097)
Imagine loving money so much that you're willing to let your most famous employee publicly embarrass you by paying the rest of your employees' salaries.
   1971. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: March 24, 2020 at 02:23 PM (#5933124)
Now they're changing their mind...
   1972. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: March 24, 2020 at 03:23 PM (#5933144)
Joel “Do a 180” Embiid???

@JoelEmbiid
In these trying times, I’m proud of the Sixers organization for reversing course and “doing a 180”. Let’s focus on beating this Coronavirus now. Let’s be responsible and Trust the Process!!

Teams do not have the right to unilaterally enforce pay cuts on their players. In this case, the Sixers drew so much criticism with their team employees that they were forced to change course, likely sending a message to the rest of the NBA that shifting the economic burden of this pandemic off of billionaires and onto the middle class is just not going to be possible.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/philadelphia-76ers-ownership-reverses-course-wont-force-staff-to-take-pay-cuts-over-coronavirus-pandemic/
   1973. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: March 24, 2020 at 03:50 PM (#5933149)
Chad Ford @chadfordinsider ·25m

After a 2 year hiatus, I’m coming back with a new NBA Draft podcast dropping March 30th on the LockedOn Network. Search NBA Big Board on Spotify, iTunes or wherever you love to get your podcasts! Let’s ROLL!!!!!

Well, he's not beetlejuice, because his name was only said twice on this page.
   1974. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 24, 2020 at 04:31 PM (#5933167)
Dave Mason @DeuceMason
We have a new podcast coming up at noon and we just got the greatest question ever from Dillon: "Adam Silver approves a new rule. Fans get to vote out ONE player every year. That player can't play for a year. Who gets voted out?"

my vote: spencer hawes.
   1975. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: March 24, 2020 at 06:30 PM (#5933200)
James F Harden.
   1976. JJ1986 Posted: March 24, 2020 at 08:16 PM (#5933227)
After a 2 year hiatus, I’m coming back with a new NBA Draft podcast dropping March 30th on the LockedOn Network. Search NBA Big Board on Spotify, iTunes or wherever you love to get your podcasts! Let’s ROLL!!!!!
It's going to be more of a pain to go back and re-edit old podcasts.
   1977. tshipman Posted: March 24, 2020 at 08:37 PM (#5933241)
I can't think of anyone whose opinion I care less about w/r/t the NBA draft than Chad Ford.
   1978. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 24, 2020 at 10:07 PM (#5933260)
I can't think of anyone whose opinion I care less about w/r/t the NBA draft than Chad Ford.
wow; that's the nicest thing you've ever said about me.
   1979. Howie Menckel Posted: March 25, 2020 at 01:26 AM (#5933296)
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
3m
An emotional Karl-Anthony Towns revealing that his mother, diagnosed with the coronavirus, is in a coma and connected to a ventilator. He’s clearly trying to further alert the public to the seriousness of the pandemic. https://instagram.com/tv/B-JMTMeJhi6
   1980. TFTIO is building his own mealworm farm Posted: March 25, 2020 at 09:53 AM (#5933347)
It would be the most Timberwolves thing ever for their generational centrepiece to succumb to this idiotic black swan event.
   1981. NJ in NY (Now with two kids!) Posted: March 25, 2020 at 12:11 PM (#5933393)
Does anyone else think it's strange Fertitta was allowed to buy the Rockets? At the time I didn't think it made sense from a this person doesn't appear to be nearly liquid enough/have enough access to capital to afford this purchase and now it seems to be playing out that way.
   1982. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: March 25, 2020 at 12:59 PM (#5933414)
I wasn't aware of Fertitta's finances at the time of the purchase, but his "new owner immediately takes cost-cutting measures for a high-profile contender whose star is in his absolute prime" moves really hit the wrong note right from the start.
   1983. send the 57i66135 over with flamethrowers Posted: March 25, 2020 at 01:11 PM (#5933421)
Does anyone else think it's strange Fertitta was allowed to buy the Rockets? At the time I didn't think it made sense from a this person doesn't appear to be nearly liquid enough/have enough access to capital to afford this purchase and now it seems to be playing out that way.

i think there are only two questions that can disqualify prospective VC groups these days:

1: will the check clear?
ESPN did a 30 for 30 on a guy whose check didn't clear. he "bought" the islanders in the 90s. it was a good run for the team, but the documentary was mediocre.

2: will the managing partner directly challenge the commissioner's authority?
and this is the reason mark cuban does not have a baseball team.

as long as those two questions aren't a problem, you get the team, regardless of your future plans.
   1984. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: March 25, 2020 at 10:01 PM (#5933571)
NBA Thread Regular PASTE posted this in the COVID-19 thread, in case anyone wants to send best wishes via email or o the board:

2677. It's regretful that PASTE was able to get out Posted: March 25, 2020 at 06:37 PM (#5933524)
My 4 year old niece (who has two sisters, age 2 and 6) was admitted this afternoon with a high fever and bad enough cough to affect her breathing. Test was given, won't get the result for a while. This is suburban Pittsburgh
   1985. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: March 26, 2020 at 11:44 AM (#5933716)
Heh
   1986. Howie Menckel Posted: March 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM (#5933722)
Mark Cuban
@mcuban
·
1h
Replying to
@ESPNMichele
just to clarify, everything i say is always qualified with a statement that it will depend on what doctors and scientists say. That said, Im more hopeful than i was 2 weeks ago about us being able to return and play in front of no fans prior to June 1.
   1987. RJ in TO Posted: March 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM (#5933723)
1: will the check clear?
ESPN did a 30 for 30 on a guy whose check didn't clear. he "bought" the islanders in the 90s. it was a good run for the team, but the documentary was mediocre.

John Spano! It was an absolutely amazing sequence, and a strong indication of just how badly the NHL was run for a long, long time.
   1988. Harlond Posted: March 27, 2020 at 08:56 PM (#5934303)
I was sorry to read that Doris Burke got coronvirus. She became symptomatic at a Jazz-Nuggets game, big surprise (though maybe she is patient zero for the NBA), but is recovering nicely now. I was also sorry to read she has a fiancé, if I'm reading correctly. Drake probably is, too.
   1989. Harlond Posted: March 28, 2020 at 10:07 AM (#5934387)
False alarm, it was Doris's daughter's fiancé.
   1990. smileyy Posted: March 28, 2020 at 08:53 PM (#5934617)
   1991. Howie Menckel Posted: March 28, 2020 at 10:32 PM (#5934644)
NY_KnicksPR
@NY_KnicksPR

The Madison Square Garden Company Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jim Dolan has tested positive for coronavirus. He has been in self-isolation and is experiencing little to no symptoms. He continues to oversee business operations.
10:06 PM · Mar 28, 2020

[I know, I know. but Dolan has been aggressive in the past week in guaranteeing wages for his MSG workers during the pandemic. that ain't nothing.]
   1992. rr: calming the thread down with my arms Posted: March 29, 2020 at 02:19 AM (#5934664)
Gobert and Mitchell have been "cleared" of Coronavirus. And...James Dolan has tested positive (1991 has that info; will leave this up).
   1993. Howie Menckel Posted: March 29, 2020 at 10:21 PM (#5934832)
another one - with 30 teams, might be able to get by with only 240 or 250 recovered players for a short season

marcus smart
@smart_MS3
·
58m
Corona Free as of two days ago. Cleared by Mass Dept of Health.
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and prayers and I’m doing the same for everyone that’s been effected by this. Stay safe and stay together- apart!
Much love!
   1994. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: March 31, 2020 at 12:33 AM (#5935153)
   1995. Howie Menckel Posted: March 31, 2020 at 12:41 AM (#5935155)
I wouldn't guarantee that one, but I do know this very well - as eccentric and flawed as Marbury is, his heart is in the right place in the grand scheme of things.
   1996. Moses Taylor, glorified meat shield Posted: March 31, 2020 at 11:44 AM (#5935217)
The MJ/Bulls ESPN documentary is going to start 4/19 instead of June. Can't wait.
   1997. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 02, 2020 at 03:55 AM (#5935729)
On another OT: NBA group on another baseball page I'm a part of, we did an All-TIme fantasy draft, and then squared off. It woudn't be interesting unless we could get more than a dozen people, preferably as many as we get for our off-season drafts. Is that something people would be into here?
   1998. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 02, 2020 at 04:26 AM (#5935730)
How did I miss, as an avid 76ers fan in the day, that the Chocolate Thunder nickname was given to Darryl Dawkins by Stevie Wonder?
   1999. aberg Posted: April 02, 2020 at 01:32 PM (#5935888)
Sam Vecenie on Lamelo Ball:

"His wiggle with ball in hand is elite."
   2000. If on a winter's night a traveling violation Posted: April 02, 2020 at 01:52 PM (#5935899)
and then squared off
Very curious what exactly this part entails, but I'm intrigued.
Page 20 of 21 pages ‹ First  < 18 19 20 21 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.