Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, November 02, 2021

OT - November* 2021 College Football thread

* 30 days hath November, except in the college football thread where it runs through Championship Week, after which the calendar flips to the Bowl Spectacular.

Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 02, 2021 at 07:24 PM | 525 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: college football, off-topic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›
   201. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 05:01 PM (#6053762)
Only thing not going Cincinnati's way is placekicking, with a missed extra point and blocked field goal.
   202. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 05:10 PM (#6053766)
...and another missed field goal.
   203. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 20, 2021 at 05:48 PM (#6053768)
I find myself with absolutely no thoughts on the first half of Florida-Mizzou.
   204. Brian C Posted: November 20, 2021 at 05:52 PM (#6053769)
I'm having trouble even focusing on the game. Like what the hell is this even.
   205. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 05:55 PM (#6053770)
41-0 Cincinnati.
   206. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:07 PM (#6053771)
SMU gets a field goal blocked, as the gods look down on the cheap attempt to break up the shutout.
   207. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:24 PM (#6053774)
Arkansas trailing 34-21 in the fourth quarter and lines up for a 50-yard field goal. The circumstances scream fake, but Alabama is still caught out as the holder runs forward and throws a jump pass for a 32-yard touchdown.
   208. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:30 PM (#6053775)
And Alabama fumbles deep in Arkansas territory!
   209. Brian C Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:32 PM (#6053776)
Jesus this UF game is only in the 3rd quarter still.

At least the basketball team looks better than expected so far!
   210. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:32 PM (#6053777)
Nebraska, trailing 28-21, faces 4th-and-2 at Wisconsin's 45. Martinez keeps on a zone read but it's a POP pass down to the seven. Touchdown two plays later to tie the game with 6:27 left.
   211. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:49 PM (#6053782)
Bah. On 3rd-and-10 from the Arkansas 40, Young throws a deep post to Williams, who makes a diving catch in the back of the end zone. But the replay shows the ball moved in his hands when he landed, and he was out of bounds by the time he had it firmly gripped again. Gene Steratore says it's not a loss of control because his hand stayed beneath it and it was upheld on review, but if the ball clearly turning in a receiver's hands when he hits the ground is not a loss of control, then that concept has no meaning.
   212. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 06:55 PM (#6053785)
Wisconsin broke a 53-yard run to take the lead back, then Nebraska made it to the 11 with 30 seconds left before a hold torpedoed the effort. On 4th-and-20, Wisconsin got away with blatant interference at the sticks with four seconds left.
   213. Brian C Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:08 PM (#6053789)
Nebraska really has a remarkable ability to lose close games. It's no exaggeration to say that they could have easily won the B1G West with some better luck/discipline/whatever, and it's really hard for me to get a good read on whether they're overachieving or underachieving in that context. I mean, they're 1-7 in conference and haven't lost a game by more than 9 points. Seems hard to do.
   214. Brian C Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:17 PM (#6053791)
Internal debate: Bowl eligibility - how badly do I want it? Especially considering the absolute disgrace Mullen gave us in their bowl game last year?

Mind you, I'm not hoping the Gators lose this game, and I definitely will not be rooting for them to lose next week. I'm just saying, if it happens that way, is the worst thing that could happen?

At any rate, however this game ends, it sure seems like Mullen is dead man walking. Say they get a miracle win in this one, and then stomp FSU - how can that possibly be enough? This program's plainly in a death spiral.
   215. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:19 PM (#6053792)
Mizzou gets punished for turtling to set up a long field goal.
   216. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:24 PM (#6053793)
At any rate, however this game ends, it sure seems like Mullen is dead man walking. Say they get a miracle win in this one, and then stomp FSU - how can that possibly be enough? This program's plainly in a death spiral.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure 7-5 is enough to save Mullen's job. Stricklin clearly doesn't want to fire him (and Stricklin's dealing with his own potentially existential issues surrounding the women's basketball team), and the Grantham and Hevesy firings, while undeniably justified, signaled as much.

I mean, I have no idea what the theory of how this all works out is. If they go 7-5 and Mullen keeps his job, he's clearly going into next season with the hottest seat in college football. I'd be hard-pressed to identify a situation like that where the coach in question actually turned things around. Recruits aren't signing on knowing that Mullen is two bad games away from losing his job. You're not getting an elite DC to replace Grantham unless you back up the dump truck full of money, which they don't seem willing to do.
   217. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:28 PM (#6053794)
"All right gentlemen, congratulations on a well-played game during regulation."

You lie, zebra man!
   218. Brian C Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:37 PM (#6053795)
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure 7-5 is enough to save Mullen's job. Stricklin clearly doesn't want to fire him (and Stricklin's dealing with his own potentially existential issues surrounding the women's basketball team), and the Grantham and Hevesy firings, while undeniably justified, signaled as much.

Possibly. I'm not sure. If this is the case, Stricklin could have helped himself out a whole lot by just saying that Mullen would be retained.

...aaaaannnd so that just happened. Obviously Grantham's ghost is still haunting the program after seeing that conversion.
   219. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 20, 2021 at 07:38 PM (#6053796)
Well, I guess we don't have to worry about Mullen going 7-5.
   220. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 08:49 PM (#6053802)
Utah doing work.
   221. Brian White Posted: November 20, 2021 at 09:12 PM (#6053805)
Nebraska really has a remarkable ability to lose close games.

Scott Frost was 5-12 in one possession games (margin of victory is eight or fewer) prior to this year while head coach of Nebraska. This year he's 0-7 in one possession games to bring his overall record in these games to 5-19. Remarkable.

Meanwhile, Florida? Blech. I'm still going to go to the FSU game though. Why? Cause I'm a glutton for punishment.
   222. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 20, 2021 at 09:14 PM (#6053806)
And that'll do it.
   223. Meatwad Posted: November 20, 2021 at 09:18 PM (#6053807)
Unless they pull and Auburn, Oregon is going to lose.
   224. we all water; we all 57i66135 Posted: November 20, 2021 at 09:40 PM (#6053810)
Audrey Snyder @audsnyder4
Christian Veilleux had a career day. Watch until the end. He’s fine.

https://twitter.com/audsnyder4/status/1462154576866553857
   225. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 20, 2021 at 09:51 PM (#6053813)
Assuming Oregon loses, does that mean if Cincinnati wins out they get selected? What team behind them can finish ahead of them at this point...? 1-loss Oklahoma or Oklahoma St? Cincinnati has the head-to-head over Notre Dame.

edit: maybe Michigan over Ohio State and winning the Big 10, with Ohio State finishing with 2 losses?
   226. Meatwad Posted: November 20, 2021 at 10:06 PM (#6053814)
With Oregon losing ND will finish 5th or better. No way can a team jump undefeated cinci.
   227. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 20, 2021 at 10:10 PM (#6053816)
If Georgia beats Georgia Tech, Alabama beats Auburn, Ohio State beats Michigan and wins the Big 10 Championship, Cincinnati beats ECU and then Houston, does the winner of the SEC championship get Cincinnati and the loser get Ohio State? That would be mildly interesting.
   228. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 20, 2021 at 10:12 PM (#6053817)
With Oregon losing ND will finish 5th or better. No way can a team jump undefeated cinci.
Not even Michigan, beating OSU and winning the big 10? Anyway, if that happens OSU might fall behind Cincinnati?

edit: by most sophisticated ranking systems, there are 3 teams that are way better than all the others: Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State. That will likely be the case even if Ohio State loses to Michigan.
   229. AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale Posted: November 20, 2021 at 10:24 PM (#6053819)
Would Oklahoma State jump Notre Dame if they beat Oklahoma and win the Big 12 Championship? I think it's at least debatable.
   230. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 21, 2021 at 12:19 AM (#6053823)
I believe it's a virtual certainty. The committee loves its top-25 wins, and Oklahoma State would have a 3-1 advantage over Notre Dame, plus the precious conference championship.

I think the biggest -- maybe only -- threat to undefeated Cincinnati is Alabama beating Georgia, the Ohio State-Michigan winner not subsequently losing, and Oklahoma State beating Oklahoma and Baylor comfortably.

There is no level of beating Notre Dame could hand Stanford that puts it ahead of a Cincinnati that has added a win over Houston. The Sooners don't get to play the "close wins against weak opponents" card against anyone under the sun, so they aren't the threat to vault Cincinnati that Oklahoma State is.

I think Ohio State is out with a loss. Alabama probably is also, but there's always a chance for 2007-like chaos, where Michigan beats Ohio State but loses to Wisconsin, and Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma but loses to Baylor, leaving Notre Dame the only one-loss team. Alabama's probably at the front of the two-loss line in that case.
   231. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 21, 2021 at 01:22 PM (#6053852)
Mullen fired.
   232. greenback used to say live and let live Posted: November 21, 2021 at 04:27 PM (#6053882)
Yes, congratulations to the Florida fans here. Mel Tucker will look underpaid, once all the current openings are filled.

Nebraska currently has a positive points differential in its Big Ten games while going 1-7 in those league contests.
   233. we all water; we all 57i66135 Posted: November 21, 2021 at 04:53 PM (#6053883)
Nebraska currently has a positive points differential in its Big Ten games while going 1-7 in those league contests.
northwestern is a hell of a drug.
Alabama's probably at the front of the two-loss line in that case.
if there's one thing college football truly needs, it's a bad alabama team (by their standards) backing into a national title.
   234. Brian C Posted: November 21, 2021 at 05:48 PM (#6053894)
I'm a little surprised Mullen was fired today; as ugly as things have gotten, I see no real benefit to having an interim coach in place for one game. But I guess no real harm either. I can only assume that Stricklin's talk with Mullen after the game last night went about as well as Mullen's press conferences have been going. Firing a coach is one thing; firing a coach in the middle of the season is another thing; but firing a coach with one game left seems like intentional humiliation. The obvious time to do this was after the South Carolina game.

I have no urgent thoughts about who I want the successor to be except for please God not Lane Kiffin. I guess Napier would be my on-paper favorite of the rumored candidates, but I don't know anything about him, and if he's a barking lunatic type then I'd have to say no thanks, we've had enough of that.

Meanwhile, see if you can spot the problem in the ESPN write-up:
Stricklin acknowledged the fact that each of the Gators' past three coaches had some tangible success, with Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain and Mullen all having reached the SEC championship game.

235. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 21, 2021 at 06:52 PM (#6053904)
I have no urgent thoughts about who I want the successor to be except for please God not Lane Kiffin

Heh. I've just been thinking that I've come around on the idea of Kiffin. I hate myself for thinking that, and feel borderline queasy about it, but...yeah, I'm on board.
   236. Brian C Posted: November 21, 2021 at 07:25 PM (#6053908)
But ... why? I don't even really object to him on personality grounds, it's just that he has a long track record of mediocrity spiked with some good seasons, and on top of that, jumping ship whenever he gets a better offer. Best case scenario with him is that the Gators have a couple of good years and then he immediately bolts for the NFL. Dude's had 5 head coaching jobs for a total of 12 seasons, *if* we count his half-season at USC before getting fired. This program really needs stability after a bunch of hirings have gone sideways and a decade of mostly wandering the desert, and Kiffin is exactly the wrong guy to provide that.

But even that best-case scenario is far from certain. More likely we just scrape by with a few seasons that are OK but lose every big game on the schedule, because honestly that's his real track record. Frankly he's the most Mullen-esque of the prominent candidates, although he's a better recruiter and more of a bro d-bag than an insane crazy person.

At any rate, it doesn't sound like we'll have to worry about it in all likelihood. Still, what is it about Kiffin that you've come around on? I just don't see any positives at all beyond a chance to win the introductory press conference.
   237. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 21, 2021 at 11:47 PM (#6053934)
Basically, I think Kiffin would get the recruiting machine humming, and he would keep the offense at a high level. It's not a small thing that Kiffin brought guys like Matt Corral to Oxford and turned Ole Miss of all places into an offensive powerhouse. I think Kiffin's the guy who can come in and make sure the 2022 team still has a really good offense and then build on it moving forward.

Is that sort of the Mullen case from four years ago? Sure. But that's not a bad thing, necessarily -- Mullen had a lot going for him until, basically, the Marco Wilson shoe toss.

To be clear, I'm not really advocating for Kiffin. I think there are a ton of guys who make every bit as much sense as him. But I'm willing to deal with him in a way I wasn't in the past.
   238. Brian C Posted: November 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM (#6054151)
Just kinda running through the candidates that I'm seeing floated out there; the idea isn't to rank these guys so much as whittle down the list by culling the names it's not even worth doing due diligence on:

Billy Napier - like I said earlier, an interesting name for me. I don't think there are any slam-dunk big names out there, so might as well look into the rising-star class. Obviously these types of guys can be great, or it can turn out that their ceiling is in a lower-pressure job. Worth doing a deep dive though, IMO. Intriguing to me that he's worked for Dabo and Saban but doesn't seem to be an acolyte of either.

Mario Cristobal - Sure. Good recruiting reputation, familiarity with the southeast, success in Oregon although maybe not as much success as would be ideal. Overall I'm kind of indifferent but sure. I could see it theoretically working out well, at least.

Lane Kiffin - I said my piece on him above. Seems destined for Miami to me but we'll see.

Bob Stoops - Is it just me or has this guy been retired for awhile now? I love the guy, and I don't doubt the Gators could do worse, but surely this can't be a serious thing, right? On the other hand, it's not impossible to imagine him coming in, putting together a great staff, and then re-retiring after a few years with a successor in place and the program in good shape. I guess I could be talked into it if it comes to that. Like I say, I love the guy.

Mark Stoops - Um, no disrespect to what Kentucky's unterribleness, but Bob's available, right?

Luke Fickell - Bombed hard at his first elite head coaching job, no ties to the region. Seems to me like the classic "water that's found his level" coach. Anyway, seems like he's not a serious candidate here, so no worries.

James Franklin - all the respect in the world to what he did at Vandy, but he seems fine where he's at

Mel Tucker - doesn't seem to be a thing anymore

Dan Quinn - Funny thing is, I can see this theoretically working out, too. Like their Pete Carroll. But I can also see it more likely to turn into what everyone thought the Pete Carroll hiring at USC would be instead of what it actually was.

Urban Meyer - B*tch please. Although in fairness, this suggestion seems like the exclusive domain of internet trolls

Bill O'Brien - LOL, all you have to do is take a job with Alabama these days and half the press volunteers to work for free as your agent

Matt Campbell - ehhhh, I like the guy OK but bringing in someone with no familiarity with the region is a recipe for failure

Dave Aranda - all respect to what Baylor's doing this year, but I'd rather have as little to do with Baylor as possible. Also, this dude's really been around in a way that seems suboptimal to me - no real roots in any particular region and I don't know how that plays as a head coach in the SEC

Jeff Hafley - not familiar with him at all, but young guy with most of his experience as an NFL assistant, not falling on his face at Boston College which is a borderline impossible place to win. Appealing resume as far as it goes, I wouldn't roll my eyes if I heard he got an interview. Gotta wonder about the lack of recruiting background, though, even though the NFL experience mitigates that to a degree.

Todd Monken - middle-aged dude with a completely undistinguished coaching career, but works for Kirby Smart now so I guess is covered in some kind of Bama-like magic pixie dust. Give me a ####### break.

Dan Lanning - as far as UGA coordinators go, at least Lanning is a serious candidate. Young and inexperienced but at least knows full well what he'd be getting into. Would be a giant risk though, and I'm always suspicious of coordinators on the side of the ball that their monomaniacal head coach specializes in. Smart himself being an obvious but rare exception to when that's worked out, of course.

Dave Clawson - perfectly respectable football coach who probably has little business running a program like Florida

Mike Elko - have I completely overlooked Texas A&M's run of dominant defenses with all the awesome recruiting classes A&M has hauled in? [checks] Nope.

I think that's mostly it in terms of names I've seen.
   239. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 22, 2021 at 11:52 PM (#6054153)
All the chatter seems to be about Napier at this point, though we're only a day into this odyssey. You're always taking a risk when you hire a Sun Belt guy -- you just can't predict how that transition is going to work out. But among an intriguing-but-not-overwhelming group of candidates, Napier seems as solid as anyone. Definitely seems like the kind of guy who'd accept the job, then be out on the recruiting trail five minutes later.
   240. we all water; we all 57i66135 Posted: November 22, 2021 at 11:55 PM (#6054154)
you left a few candidates out:

bret bielema -

les miles -

dj durkin -

chip kelly -

bobby petrino -

art briles -

mike leach -

dan campbell -

steve addazio -

tim tebow -

larry fedora -

brian johnson -

adam gase -

jason garrett -

doug pederson -

danny wuerfel -
   241. we all water; we all 57i66135 Posted: November 23, 2021 at 12:15 AM (#6054155)
Luke Fickell - Bombed hard at his first elite head coaching job, no ties to the region. Seems to me like the classic "water that's found his level" coach. Anyway, seems like he's not a serious candidate here, so no worries.
i think this is overly harsh.

sure, fickell was fired after only one season at tosu, but he was only hired in the first place because the previous coach had been thrown out of the job after a "major" scandal (those are sarcasm quotes, btw). and when he was fired, tosu managed to replace him with one of the best coaches in NCAA history, so it's not as if they were so desperate to replace him that they just hired some rando from mississippi state.
   242. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 23, 2021 at 02:03 AM (#6054168)
Fickell wasn't really even fired. He was the defensive coordinator, was going to be the interim during Tressel's suspension, which got extended to the full season when Tressel got fired, at which point he went back to being coordinator.
   243. bunyon Posted: November 23, 2021 at 08:46 AM (#6054194)
I think Florida is the new Texas. You guys seem to think you're a far greater program than you are.

Of course, Texas is still that Texas so maybe you need to wait your turn.

(Trying to say I don't think you guys can be that picky with the next coach. It isn't like 20 years ago where an established big name guy would move for Florida. You can choose proven stability a tier or two down or you can go with a high upside, high risk young guy.)
   244. Brian C Posted: November 23, 2021 at 02:34 PM (#6054292)
I think Florida is the new Texas. You guys seem to think you're a far greater program than you are.

What does this even mean? It's complete nonsense. Both schools have a ton of resources, visibility, and geographic advantages. There's no reason either school couldn't be elite on a regular basis if their administrations and coaching staffs got it together.

All you're saying is that they haven't done it recently so they're not that great. Pure recency bias. You can't come up with any inherent disadvantages that either school has because there aren't any. We're not talking about Nebraska here.

I mean, do you even remember the dysfunctional state Alabama was in when they hired Saban? Or how everyone figured Georgia had hit a ceiling under Richt? Or Clemson before Swinney got going? Things change with the right people in place.
   245. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 23, 2021 at 07:18 PM (#6054350)
                                Week 13              Week 14
 1 Georgia                 @ Georgia Tech        Alabama
 2 Ohio State              @ Michigan
 3 Alabama                 @ Auburn              Georgia
 4 Cincinnati              @ East Carolina       Houston
 5 Michigan                Ohio State
 6 Notre Dame              @ Stanford
 7 Oklahoma State          Oklahoma
 8 Baylor                  Texas Tech
 9 Mississippi             @ Mississippi State        
10 Oklahoma                @ Oklahoma State
11 Oregon                  Oregon State
12 Michigan State          Penn State
13 BYU                     @ USC
14 Wisconsin               @ Minnesota
15 Texas A&M               @ LSU
16 Iowa                    @ Nebraska
17 Pittsburgh              @ Syracuse            ACC Championship
18 Wake Forest             @ Boston College
19 Utah                    Colorado              Pac-12 Championship
20 NC State                North Carolina
21 San Diego State         Boise State           
22 UT-San Antonio          @ North Texas         C-USA Championship
23 Clemson                 @ South Carolina
24 Houston                 @ Connecticut         Cincinnati
25 Arkansas                Missouri
   246. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 23, 2021 at 08:17 PM (#6054364)
Barta pointedly refused to answer what level of separation there is between Cincinnati and the teams immediately behind. Learning the lesson from 2017, when there was a claim that 5-8 were tightly bunched, with a gap to Wisconsin ahead, which turned out to be nonsense, with Wisconsin's failed final drive of the Big Ten championship being significant enough to outweigh the 12 games that had supposedly separated it from idle Alabama, but also not significant enough for Ohio State to vault Alabama despite the assertion of a razor-thin margin between them beforehand.
   247. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 25, 2021 at 09:08 PM (#6054649)
Clanga moving up and down the field and absolutely imploding deep in Mississippi territory. Just had three consecutive drops of would-be touchdown passes before the half. First drive was torpedoed by an open receiver not turning his head and being hit by a slant, immediately followed by a false start. On the second drive, Rogers had a receiver completely uncovered in the end zone on 1st-and-goal but overthrew him, then promptly took a sack. Kicker has honked the third and fourth field goals.
   248. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 25, 2021 at 11:01 PM (#6054653)
I'm baffled by the repeated assertion by McElroy that Mississippi State failed to score at the end of the half because a Mississippi lineman faking an injury sapped the offense's momentum.
   249. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 01:49 PM (#6054674)
Brilliant clock management from San Diego State. After completing a pass to the Boise State 20, let the clock run from 18 to 13 while spiking the ball. Then throw one pass and kick a field goal with seven seconds left, taking two timeouts to the locker room.
   250. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 02:31 PM (#6054678)
Boise State was up 16-3 with the ball late in the first half. Less than 10 minutes elapse, and it's 27-16 San Diego State.
   251. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 03:55 PM (#6054685)
Iowa returns a blocked punt for a touchdown, endangering the Big Ten West four-way tie (Nebraska beats Iowa, Purdue beats Indiana, Minnesota beats Wisconsin) scenario.

21-16 Huskers.
   252. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 04:13 PM (#6054688)
And Nebraska's quarterback, making his maiden voyage, has fumbled when pulling the ball on an option play, which led to being pinned deep after an Iowa punt, which led to a safety when he retreated into the end zone under pressure and grounded the ball. Short field leads to a tying field goal.

This might end up being Peak 2021 Nebraska.
   253. Brian White Posted: November 26, 2021 at 05:22 PM (#6054695)
In Big Ten play this year, Nebraska scored as many points as they allowed, 239-239. They went 1-8 in conference play.

Beautiful.
   254. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 07:11 PM (#6054709)
Cincinnati was down 3-0 after a quarter, absolutely dominated the second, scoring three touchdowns and then fumbling inside the five just before the half. The second half was just sloppy and uninspiring, but the game was never in doubt.
   255. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 08:07 PM (#6054715)
North Carolina opened the game by getting a punt blocked for a touchdown. Just got another blocked, but it bounced right to a personal protector who ran for a first down.
   256. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 26, 2021 at 10:49 PM (#6054726)
North Carolina just shot its dick off in impressive fashion.

After kicking a field goal to go up 30-21 with two minutes left, got a sack on the first play of NC State's possession, then did the one thing you can't do when leading by nine with 1:45 left and got burned over the top for a 64-yard touchdown. Failed to recover the onside kick, then gave up a touchdown in 26 seconds.
   257. Snowboy Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:18 AM (#6054735)
I was gonna say UNC shot itself in the balls, but that's probably just my regional dialect.

I wanted to ask, several times, "how/why is this NC State team ranked?"
The result didn't really give me an answer, except to remind me that this game is why I don't watch football from North Carolina. Or Kentucky. College basketball, yes; college football, no
   258. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:05 PM (#6054787)
I thought RGIII was still hanging around the NFL as a back-up quarterback, and here he is calling the Florida-Florida State game.
   259. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:07 PM (#6054788)
I don't think this is the first Gator game Griffin has called this season? I feel like I remember complaining about how terrible he was earlier.
   260. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:08 PM (#6054789)
Like I'm supposed to remember anything from this season.
   261. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:10 PM (#6054790)
And Richardson is hurt on his first play of the game. That tracks.
   262. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM (#6054791)
Oh yeah
   263. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM (#6054792)
Depending on how the rest of the game goes, Gamble might end the regular season with 30ish catches for 400ish yards, which I would not have bet on early in the year.
   264. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:16 PM (#6054793)
I wanted to ask, several times, "how/why is this NC State team ranked?"

NC State is ranked because A) only three losses and B) the win over Clemson was early enough that people hadn't quite wrapped their heads around how they shouldn't have been impressed by it.
   265. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:17 PM (#6054794)
Well, I don't know how this game will turn out and all available signs point to discipline being a potential issue, but at least the Gators seem more engaged than they did the past few games.
   266. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:17 PM (#6054795)
So how good do we think the college football team in Fansville actually is? Because I'm getting real Mississippi State vibes.
   267. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:19 PM (#6054796)
Gamble might end the regular season with 30ish catches for 400ish yards, which I would not have bet on early in the year.

In which direction?
   268. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:20 PM (#6054797)
"That touchdown is better than any booster medicine you can get."

Probably not, dingus.
   269. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:22 PM (#6054798)
all available signs point to discipline being a potential issue

*Backup offensive lineman gets an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on a PAT*

In which direction?

A pleasant surprise. He didn't get a touch until the Alabama game, and generally didn't register to me as an actual pass-catching threat. And he'll end up with some pretty respectable numbers, especially considering the quality of the quarterback play we've seen this year.
   270. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:23 PM (#6054799)
So how good do we think the college football team in Fansville actually is? Because I'm getting real Mississippi State vibes.

I'd go probably Auburn - good enough to care about, but with a massive inferiority complex.
   271. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM (#6054800)
Michigan just ran it down Ohio State's throat on the first drive.
   272. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:30 PM (#6054801)
I'm still baffled Bosworth didn't become an action star.

He's the same age Liam Neeson was when Taken was released, so I guess there's still time!
   273. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:35 PM (#6054802)
Ohio State gets pinned inside its own five after letting the kickoff hit the ground, then goes three-and-out, setting Michigan up at the 39.

And McNamara throws a horrible pick with Michigan down to the 15.
   274. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:36 PM (#6054804)
Real opportunity for the Gators defense to escape Grantham's ghost here - will they focus on stopping the run with a QB that can't throw, or salivate over the chance to send even more exotic blitzes on every third and short?
   275. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:37 PM (#6054805)
I'm still baffled Bosworth didn't become an action star.

I dunno ... I feel like Bosworth in these Fansville commercials is a good example of water finding its own level.
   276. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:40 PM (#6054806)
Seeing the graphic showing Florida had been to three straight New Year's Six games drives home how sudden the Mullen collapse was.
   277. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:41 PM (#6054807)
Real opportunity for the Gators defense to escape Grantham's ghost here - will they focus on stopping the run with a QB that can't throw, or salivate over the chance to send even more exotic blitzes on every third and short?

Early returns are positive.
   278. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM (#6054808)
Sometimes the flea flicks you.
   279. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:43 PM (#6054809)
Emory Jones, admirably committed to maintaining the narrative throughline of his season.
   280. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:47 PM (#6054811)
Seeing the graphic showing Florida had been to three straight New Year's Six games drives home how sudden the Mullen collapse was.

Reading between the lines over the last week, it's become pretty clear that the Stricklin-Mullen relationship was simply not as strong as previously assumed. I had thought this was perhaps the case when Stricklin stayed silent throughout the team's struggles - his lack of "vote of confidence" was conspicuous - and Stricklin had a bizarre moment in the press conference earlier this week when he alluded to a lot of other issues that he "didn't want to get into."

I think when all is said and done, Mullen's downfall was primarily because he's an immense a-hole.
   281. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:52 PM (#6054812)
These Johnny Depp Sauvage ads seem like obvious parody but are presented utterly without humor.
   282. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 12:56 PM (#6054813)
Sigh. Jones has thrown a bunch of bad INTs this year but that might be the worst one yet. I mean, holy hell.
   283. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:05 PM (#6054815)
"He had that almost touchdown game-winning play" ... ESPN did not send their A-crew to this game, that's for sure.
   284. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:19 PM (#6054816)
Oh my God the announcers are talking about Tim Tebow as the next head coach.

285. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:25 PM (#6054817)
RGIII just finished an extended rant about how the Gators need to "think outside the box" with their coaching hire, suggesting Tim Tebow. Because how else do you compete with Saban and Smart and Fisher on the recruiting trail? You just can't get it done the conventional way if you're the Gators, he says.

But, is it just me, or are those three the most conventional coaches around? Like, I honestly don't understand his point.
   286. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:28 PM (#6054818)
Why not take the 10-second runoff if you're the Gators there?
   287. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:28 PM (#6054819)
Yeah, and the broader point is silly too -- Florida doesn't need to Monyeball this thing. It's the University of Florida -- you don't have to go unconventional or outside the box. Hire the best coach you can, then throw a bunch of money at him to hire top-notch assistants and put together a top-notch recruiting operation. This is Goliath, not David.
   288. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:31 PM (#6054820)
I'm completely terrified every time Jones drops back to throw. Just run the option the rest of this game and whatever happens, happens.

ETA: Obviously that 10-second runoff would be great now.
   289. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:32 PM (#6054821)
Sigh. Jones has thrown a bunch of bad INTs this year but that might be the worst one yet. I mean, holy hell.

Did he just top it?
   290. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:33 PM (#6054822)
Did he just top it?

The second one was worse than the third. But the third was certainly more impactful.
   291. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:35 PM (#6054823)
Well, at least FSU is plenty boneheaded too.
   292. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:38 PM (#6054824)
But, is it just me, or are those three the most conventional coaches around? Like, I honestly don't understand his point.

I think he has a germ of a valid point, which is "Who is going to out-convention those guys?" But the answer is not to hire a celebrity non-coach in hopes that he'll goose recruiting.
   293. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:38 PM (#6054825)
Jones has been bad in just about every situation this year, but throwing into the endzone has been a horror all season.

I'm beginning to doubt that Greg Knox is getting the full-time job.
   294. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 01:59 PM (#6054830)
The hell of it is that Jones has been making some plays - they've been moving the ball fairly well and the only reason they're not blowing the Noles out is that he keeps throwing bad INTs.

Aside from him, the Gators have honestly looked pretty good.
   295. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 02:04 PM (#6054831)
Jones's last throw wasn't intercepted but it was so weirdly off-target that it looks like his shoulder is hurt.
   296. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 02:11 PM (#6054832)
Michigan continuing to run over Ohio State. 21-13.
   297. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 02:25 PM (#6054833)
If I was an interim coach, I would fake punt right here on this 4th and 1.

...although the muffed punt play call is obviously way more effective. Way to go, Coach Knox!
   298. CFBF is Obsessed with Art Deco Posted: November 27, 2021 at 02:26 PM (#6054834)
A muffed punt feels like the appropriate way for this game to break open.
   299. Lance Reddick! Lance him! Posted: November 27, 2021 at 02:29 PM (#6054835)
Now Michigan opening up the playbook and getting chunk plays in the passing game. 28-13.
   300. Brian C Posted: November 27, 2021 at 02:31 PM (#6054836)
Consider me surprised that An Ohio State didn't humiliate Michigan today. Stage was set! But the whole reason I'm not a gambler is that you just never know.
Page 3 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

Hot Topics

NewsblogNBA 2021-2022 Season Thread
(1298 - 7:39am, Dec 08)
Last: jmurph

NewsblogMinnie, Gil, Buck among 6 elected to Hall
(127 - 5:02am, Dec 08)
Last: Moeball

NewsblogAthletics manager search: Mark Kotsay, Joe Espada, Will Venable among A's candidates, per report
(5 - 4:57am, Dec 08)
Last: Doug Jones threw harder than me

NewsblogOn MLB-owned media, the players now barely exist. What’s behind that decision?
(7 - 4:38am, Dec 08)
Last: manchestermets

NewsblogFlushing University: Reality Sets In
(6 - 3:13am, Dec 08)
Last: Eric Clark

NewsblogESPN's Tim Kurkjian is 2022 winner of BBWAA Career Excellence Award
(4 - 12:55am, Dec 08)
Last: Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams)

NewsblogMcCaffery: Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard passed Hall of Fame eye test
(105 - 11:35pm, Dec 07)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOT Soccer Thread - Domestic Cups, Congested Fixture Lists and Winter Breaks
(65 - 11:08pm, Dec 07)
Last: AuntBea odeurs de parfum de distance sociale

NewsblogRed Sox, Astros Interested In Trevor Story
(7 - 8:39pm, Dec 07)
Last: Walt Davis

Hall of MeritGil Hodges
(77 - 8:36pm, Dec 07)
Last: Howie Menckel

NewsblogWhat Does Endeavor, Silver Lake’s Push Into Baseball Mean For the Minors?
(16 - 5:14pm, Dec 07)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogMajor League Baseball is headed for a lockout. Is Ted Cruz the only one who can stop it?
(12 - 5:10pm, Dec 07)
Last: Starring Bradley Scotchman as RMc

NewsblogJose Marmolejos Signs With Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
(2 - 3:55pm, Dec 07)
Last: What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face?

Sox TherapyLocked Out and Semi-Loaded
(20 - 3:19pm, Dec 07)
Last: Darren

NewsblogHere is Mets' preliminary list of managerial candidates
(13 - 2:13pm, Dec 07)
Last: RoyalsRetro (AG#1F)

Page rendered in 0.4549 seconds
48 querie(s) executed